Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 28 September 2020

All the news for Monday 28 September 2020

Orée move two points clear at top of men’s Belgian league

Orée have created the first gap at the top of the men’s Belgian league thanks to their big 3-2 win over KHC Leuven, making it four wins out of four.

In a battle between two sides with 100% records, the Brussels side fell behind in the first quarter with Lautaro Diaz on the mark.

But their rivals netted the next three goals via Facundo Callioni, Timothée Clément and Tomi Domene to make it 3-1 before half-time. Jerome Dekeyser got one back after the break and the post denied Ricardo Santana an equaliser with seven minutes to go.

“This meeting was a serious test after our first three friendlier games, without disrespecting our opponents, ” said Dorian Thiery after the match to Le Soir.

“We hadn’t defended too well in our first 3 outings but today we have shown that we can show consistency for four quarters. We must remain very humble after these four successes.

“There are still a lot of complicated games to tackle in this first round. We have not been spared from injuries since the preseason. We were also missing two important ones for this duel with the absences of John-John Dohmen and Jonathan Beckers.

“We have six new players and that can confuse our opponents a bit who don’t really know what to expect. But we must continue to work and further increase our intensity in the game.”

La Gantoise also lost their perfect record when they drew a high octane 3-3 draw against Waterloo Ducks.

Tommy Willems started hostilities in the 27th minute with a superb assist from captain Gauthier Boccard. Leandro Tolini equalised from a corner before Emile Esquelin then gave the visitors the lead seven minutes later.

The Flandrians, who had to do without the services of Juan Saladino, seemed to take the ascendancy but it was Willems who equalised (49th) before Louis Capelle and Etienne Tynenvez exchanged further goals.

Royal Leopold, meanwhile, lost for a second successive week, going down 2-1 to Herakles to leave them in sixth place.

Euro Hockey League media release

Imperious Den Bosch sweep to huge win over SCHC

Den Bosch continued their awesome start to the women’s Hoofdklasse season with a 4-0 victory over SCHC, a result which punctured the Bilthoven’s 100% record in dramatic fashion.

Ireen van den Assem (pictured) took over the drag-flicking duties in the seventh minute to break the deadlock and it was 2-0 when Noor Omrani brilliantly robbed the ball to set up Lidewij Welten who smashed in from close range.

Van den Assem created the third along the left baseline and Omrani was available at close range to fire in again. Pien Sanders completed the success from the injection area from another corner.

Den Bosch now share the lead in the table with five wins out of five with AH&BC Amsterdam and HDM. Amsterdam were too strong for Kampong with goals from Michelle Fillet, Lauren Stam and Joy Haarman, 3-0.

HDM are the surprise package and they added to their early season form with a 2-1 victory over Bloemendaal.

HGC are another club enjoying a productive start to the season and they beat Victoria with South African star Dirkie Chamberlain continuing her personal goal-rush, netting in the 69th minute for a 3-2 win.

Euro Hockey League media release

Boon on the double as Surbiton keep perfect record

Ben Boon bagged a brace as Surbiton made it two wins from two with a 5-2 win at Beeston in the English men’s premier division.

Surbiton held a slender 2-1 lead going into half time with Rob Farrington and Jonathan Gall finding the net. Lucas Alcalde was on target for the home side.

But Luke Taylor made it 3-1 on 44 minutes from a penalty corner and Boon’s two goals in three minutes put the game out of Beeston’s reach, although Adam Dixon did score a consolation.

East Grinstead also have a perfect record. Louis Gittens scored a goal in each half for them as they beat the University of Exeter 6-2 on the road.

Ben Mackey and Gittens gave the visitors the edge at the break and although Archie Winter and Max Lowery found the target for Exeter, East Grinstead had too much for them and goals from Gittens, Simon Faulkner, Simon Whait and Barney Bithell put the result beyond doubt.

Holcombe are also on maximum points and showed great resolve to come back from a goal down to beat Oxted 3-1. Timothy Guise-Brown tucked home from a penalty corner on the half-hour mark but Sam Hooper soon had Holcombe level when he also converted from a penalty corner.

Hooper was on the mark again on 52 minutes and Barry Middleton increased the lead with three minutes left on the clock.

Wimbledon claimed their first win of the season as a goal apiece from Liam Ansell and Phil Roper helped them to a 4-1 defeat of Brooklands Manchester University. Rory Patterson and Ben Francis completed the scoring for Wimbledon with David Flanagan bagging for Brooklands.

In the women’s competition, Loughborough Students held last season’s champions Surbiton to a goalless draw in the Women’s Hockey League Premier Division on Saturday. Surbiton have stamped their authority on the Premier Division in recent years, winning the title for seven consecutive seasons.

But Loughborough, who finished seventh in the table last campaign, showed great resolve to keep a clean sheet against a side that scored 45 goals in 18 games last season.

Euro Hockey League media release

ROUND-UP: English Men's Hockey League

Great Britain stars Sam Ward and James Carson both hit hat-tricks as Old Georgians powered to an 8-0 win over the University of Durham in the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division.

Carson netted his first on 10 minutes and made it 3-0 on 28 minutes, just after brother Tom had nabbed the second.

And there was no let-up for Durham as James Tindall made it 4-0 soon after the restart. Ward went on make it three before Carson completed his hat-trick in the final minute of play.

Ben Boon bagged a brace as Surbiton made it two wins from two with a 5-2 win at Beeston.

Surbiton held a slender 2-1 lead going into half time with Rob Farrington and Jonathan Gall finding the net. Lucas Alcalde was on target for the home side.

But Luke Taylor made it 3-1 on 44 minutes from a penalty corner and Boon’s two goals in three minutes put the game out of Beeston’s reach, although Adam Dixon did score a consolation.

East Grinstead also have a perfect record. Louis Gittens scored a goal in each half for them as they beat the University of Exeter 6-2 on the road.

Ben Mackey and Gittens gave the visitors the edge at the break and although Archie Winter and Max Lowery found the target for Exeter, East Grinstead had too much for them and goals from Gittens, Simon Faulkner, Simon Whait and Barney Bithell put the result beyond doubt.

Holcombe are also on maximum points and showed great resolve to come back from a goal down to beat Oxted 3-1. Timothy Guise-Brown tucked home from a penalty corner on the half-hour mark but Sam Hooper soon had Holcombe level when he also converted from a penalty corner.

Hooper was on the mark again on 52 minutes and Barry Middleton increased the lead with three minutes left on the clock.

Wimbledon claimed their first win of the season as a goal apiece from Liam Ansell and Phil Roper helped them to a 4-1 defeat of Brooklands Manchester University. Rory Patterson and Ben Francis completed the scoring for Wimbledon with David Flanagan bagging for Brooklands.

Men’s Division One North

Cardiff & Met handed out an 8-0 drubbing to hosts Deeside Ramblers and threw out a major statement for their rivals on the opening day of the season.

Ioan Wall and Jack Pritchard scored two each while others came from Alf Dinnie, Ellis Robson, William Raymond and Charles Hunte as Cardiff took top spot in the early table.

Elsewhere Bowdon also kept a clean sheet, winning 4-0 over Sheffield Hallam at home with Joe Higson and Simon Egerton scoring two each.

Olton & West Warwicks enjoyed a 4-2 away win over City of Peterborough, with their goals coming from Josh Brown, Chris Beck, Harry Lankfer and Harry Sherlock.

The University of Birmingham were two-nil up on the University of Nottingham at half time after goals from Matthew Simonds and Daniel Jowett, but their rivals hit back after half time with Ben Stevenson scoring on 56 minutes and Tom Rhodes equalising four minutes from the end.

A goal from Gareth Andrew gave Cambridge City an early lead over visitors Loughborough Students, but goals from Owen Williamson, Matthew Nelson and Fabio Reinhard saw Loughborough take the win.

Men’s Division One South

Three second half goals proved enough for Canterbury to battle back from behind and take a 3-1 victory over Sevenoaks in Division One South on Sunday.

After a goalless first half Sam George had given Sevenoaks the lead on 44 minutes.

But Tom Bean’s 48th minute strike levelled the game, and goals on 69 and 70 minutes respectively by Thomas Degiovanni and Conor Annand gave the visitors the win.

Team Bath Buccaneers had first half goals from John Jackson and George Carson to thank for their 2-0 win over hosts Old Cranleighans.

Goals from Andy Watts and Jack Biggs helped Oxford Hawks to a 2-0 lead at the break, but not before Brighton & Hove hit back with two goals in three minutes to level things. However, the Hawks took the win thanks to Watts’ bagging his second goal two minutes later.

Elsewhere Southgate were 3-2 winners at Havant with John Sterlini, Charles Hamilton and Alex Williams scoring their goals. Teddington beat Reading 1-0, with Phil Lewis scoring the only goal of the game.

Men’s Conference East

London Wayfarers ran out 8-6 winners from a high-scoring and entertaining clash at Spencer in the Conference East.

Phil Ball scored a hat-trick, Alex Penney and Jamie Sones scored two each and Tom Boon added the other for the Wayfarers.

There won’t be many other times where Spencer score six goals and lose, with their strikes coming courtesy of a Neil Hamilton hat-trick and others from Kyle Good, Tim Lewis and Chad Conlon.

Two goals from Jordan Hussell and others from Jack Clee and Scott Wall were enough for Richmond to win 4-0 over Old Loughtonians.

Elsewhere Harleston Magpies won 2-1 over West Herts, St Albans and Wapping drew 1-1 and Bromley and Beckenham and London Edwardians played out a goalless draw.

Men’s Conference West

Two goals each from Alex Boxall and Alex Beckett helped Fareham to a 6-1 win at Cardiff University in the Conference West, while their other goals came from Niall Stott and Chris Davey.

The University of Bristol also enjoyed a good away win, beating hosts Khalsa Leamington 4-0 with Josh Hallett claiming two of their goals.

All matches in the Conference West were away wins, with Plymouth Marjon winning 3-2 at Ashmoor, Isca running out 3-1 victors at Cheltenham and Harborne beating Chichester 2-1.

Men’s Conference North

Sam Dixon scored twice as Belper beat Timperley 5-0 in the Men’s Conference North.

Their other goals came from Morgan Sign, Chris Powell and David Ebbage and puts them top of the early table.

A brace of goals from Tim Shelley helped Doncaster to a 4-1 win over Preston, other strikes coming from Haris Davenport and Alex Kerly.

Luke van Bentum also scored two goals as Didsbury Northern beat hosts Leeds 3-0, their other strike coming from Anthony Symondson.

The University of Durham will be pleased with a clean sheet from their 3-0 win over Barford Tigers, while the University of Birmingham seconds and Lichfield couldn’t muster any goals from their encounter.

* Statistics, full goalscorers and tables from the Men's Hockey League are available by clicking here.

England Hockey Board Media release

Women’s Irish Trophy Final, Lisnagarvey V North Kildare.

Lisnagarvey got the match underway with a penalty corner in the opening two minutes of the Irish Trophy Final today in their home ground at Comber Road. However, their first attempt was unsuccessful against North Kildare’s defence. North Kildare’s Michelle Taylor was on form from the start with a number of great saves throughout the match, first from Lisnagarvey’s Megan Quinn followed soon after by Beth Ravey, with the rebound well defended by Kildare in the second instance.

Isabel Angel had Kildare’s first real chance of the match, however her shot in to the Lisnagarvey circle failed to find her teammates. Ravey was quick to seize another opportunity to shoot on the Kildare goal but sent it wide of the target. Megan Quinn was on hand moments later to put the opening goal on the scoreboard and give the hosts a 1 – 0 lead.

A penalty corner shortly after for Lisnagarvey failed to extend their lead with Taylor and the Kildare defenders protecting the goal well. A perfect cross into Lowry in the circle let her touch the ball in for Lisnagarvey to extend their lead to 2 – 0 in the opening quarter of the game.

Lisnagarvey had several chances to extend their lead in the second quarter with a handful of penalty corners awarded in their favour. Each one was kept out by Taylor and the Kildare defence. Kildare fought for a number of challenges throughout the quarter, but no real opportunities were created. The third quarter saw a flurry of penalty corners awarded to Lisnagarvey in quick succession. While Lisnagarvey seemed to dominate possession, Kildare defended well to ensure their lead was not extended any further.

Ravey’s shot on the Kildare goal in the final quarter was well saved by Taylor, however the rebound saw Taylor on the ground while the goal was being defended. A perfect pass across the Kildare defence let Ravey slot Lisnagarvey’s final goal into the goal. A penalty corner to North Kildare with four minutes on the clock saw Liz Hassett insert and Lucy Small drive the ball into the goal to put Kildare in the scoreboard at last. The goal saw Kildare come to life again and fight to the end, putting on pressure on Lisnagarvey until the final whistle, however this renewed energy arrived to late and the hosts kept their two goal lead for a final score of Lisnagarvey 3 – 1 Kildare.

Lisnagarvey 3 (M Quinn, Z Lowry, B Ravey) North Kildare 1 (L Small)

Lisnagarvey: L Crooks, R Chambers, L Patterson, C McCluskey, D McGall, P Brown, L Murray, L Hughes, Z Lowry, E Brown, K Morris, B Ravey, M Quinn, A Christie, T McIlwaine.

Kildare: M Taylor, E Neary, G Adams, N O’Malley, R Neary, E Teevan, A O’Leary, H Adams, S Baker, J Staunton, K Edghill, S Monaghan, C O’Regan, L Hassett, L Small, I Angel, A Quinn, S Simao.

Irish Hockey Association media release

Men’s Irish Junior Cup Final, Lisnagarvey V Corinthians

Corinthian’s Max Neil provided the first bit of excitement with a shot on the hosts’ Ross Boreland, as the Irish Junior Cup got underway in Lisnagarvey this afternoon. Boreland saved well to keep prevent the visitors taking an early lead, with penalty corners for both sides in the opening quarter also failing to convert to progress on the scoreboard.

Ryan Getty rounded the Corinthians defence nicely to shoot across the goal in search of a blue jersey who might complete the task, however the ball rolled just out of reach and Corinthians succeeded in defending the goal but give away a penalty corner in the process. Irwin’s flick finds George Dagg’s instead of the goal, and the subsequent rebound leads to another penalty corner for the hosts. The following attempt is also defended and Corinthians push the threat back out of danger for a brief period.

Harry Scott and Oliver Patterson had a series of lovely passes midfield to bring them back into the Corinthians circle, resulting in another penalty corner for the hosts. Blennerhassett and MacWilliam defend well to keep Lisnagarvey from taking a lead, with the quarter ending shortly after with the sides level 0 – 0.

Mark Raphael hit the ball wide for Lisnagarvey in the second quarter, while Harry Scott also managed to penetrate the Corinthians’ circle and shoot across it but there’s no one available in blue to receive it. The opening goal came from Corinthian’s Callum Adair, a pass across the Lisnagarvey goal provided him the perfect opportunity to slip the ball in behind the keeper to give Corinthian’s the lead.

A skilful run by MacKay saw Corinthians challenge again shortly afterwards, resulting a penalty corner. Glenn Holmes flicked towards goal, but found Boreland’s pad, with the rebound being pushed out of play. Lisnagarvey were quick to attack after this, with Jacob Hermon’s shot finding Lewis’s pad and Corinthian’s resuming possession. The umpires whistle narrowly prevented Max Wright from extending Corinthian’s lead. Lisnagarvey began applying pressure with the clock counting down to half time, with Matthew Campton creating a chance to shoot in the final second of the game, however the half-time score remained Lisnagarvey 0 – 1 Corinthians.

Lisnagarvey continued to push for an equaliser in the second half. Aughney’s shot across the Corinthian goal resulted in a penalty corner for the hosts, however Getty’s insertion provided the perfect opportunity for Corinthians to play the ball back up the pitch quickly. Aughney was back in the Corinthian’s circle again shortly afterwards, however this time his attempts are forced out by the defence. Glenn Holmes had a forceful shot defended at the opposite end of the pitch, but the score remained the same, with Lisnagarvey’s defence proving strong.

Lisnagarvey brought a frantic energy to the final quarter, however Howard and MacKay made nuisances of themselves for the attacking hosts, preventing a number of attempts into the Corinthians circle from becoming real opportunities. Both Scott and Aughney found themselves in a position to possibly create an opportunity for their team, however Scott’s pass across the circle failed to find a receiving player, while Aughney’s skill in the Corinthians circle couldn’t convert to putting Lisnagarvey on the scoreboard.

A penalty corner for Lisnagarvey saw McQueen’s shot helped wide by the Corinthian defence. The final three minutes saw Lisnagarvey take their keeper off to increase their outfield numbers. Despite securing another penalty corner in the closing minutes, it wasn’t enough to secure a goal with Corinthians taking home the Irish Junior Cup for the 2019/20 season.

Lisnagarvey 0, Corinthians 1 (C Adair).

Lisnagarvey: R Boreland, H Morris, M Campton, M Morris, R Getty, C Irwin, M Connor, J Hermon, S McCabe, M Aughney, P Watson, H Scott, O Patterson, M Raphael, S McQueen, P Hunter, S Chisholm, J Ritchie.

Corinthians: J Lewis, A Blennerhassett, C Adair, G Dagg, R Howard, C Mackay, G Holmes, M Neil, M Wright, A Browne, M McCabe, H Ellis, G Davis, R MacWilliam, E Mackay, D Winm, A Missen, N Young.

Irish Hockey Association media release

Garvey, Town and YMCA off to flying men’s EYHL start

Lisnagarvey, YMCA and Monkstown all got off to winning starts in the men’s EY Hockey League while UCD and Glenanne shared the spoils as the elite competition returned to action with a bang.

Men’s EY Hockey League – day one round-up

Lisnagarvey 4 (B Nelson 2, J Lorimer 2) Three Rock Rovers 2 (B Johnson, P Blakeney)

Two late James Lorimer penalty corners earned Lisnagarvey a big home win over Three Rock Rovers at Comber Road as their unbeaten run on the national stage was put under huge pressure. Ben Nelson twice gave them a lead before Ben Johnson and Peter Blakeney got it level going into the final stages but Garvey took their chances to start off the campaign with three points.

Nelson continued his goal-a-game September when he finished off from a baseline pull-back after a swift move down the right channel. Johnson equalised with a penalty corner drag-flick but Nelson restored the lead in the third quarter when he took a free in the 23m zone himself and broke through a couple of tackles before sliding in a shot on his reverse.

Ben Walker’s incisive run created the equaliser when he slipped the ball left to Peter Blakeney who swept first-time from the left of the circle to wrong-foot James Milliken. Rovers then had a couple of huge chances to go in front but Milliken denied Ross Canning brilliantly while a corner switch was also repelled.

Garvey held their nerve to provide a double-strike late in the game for a second successive week, backing up last weekend’s Irish Senior Cup success.

YMCA 3 (G Glutz 3) Annadale 0

Grant Glutz scored an opening day hat trick as YMCA recorded a big win over Annadale in a tussle between the sides that finished ninth and tenth last season. He had the chance to open the scoring just a couple of minutes when his drag-flick hit a body on the line; his stroke effort, however, was nonchalant in the extreme and the goalkeeper Sam Hamill got down to save with his stick.

Dale had a couple of corners come to nought with Adam McAllister looking dangerous and Cameron Larkin – in for the injured Jakim Bernsden – alert to a bouncing shot. Glutz broke the deadlock before the end of the first quarter from a corner second phase, a spin-flick after Ben Campbell’s initial shot bounced away.  

Another Campbell ricocheted off the bar in the second quarter to leave the game at the minimum and it stayed that way through the third quarter despite a quarter of YM corners.  

Ben O’Grady had to back-pedal to save a looper off the goal line from Kent Irwin’s innovative shot before Andrew Meates contrived to put a huge chance wide after a smart move. Larkin also saved a rising reverse from Patrick Rose.  

But the game was settled with the second in the final quarter when Glutz latched onto a loose ball 30 metres out. He had plenty to do still but weaved in between four defenders and struck open an openhand shot from the top D for 2-0. And the third arrived soon after when Dale got in a muddle in their own circle and the ball bounced to Glutz to hit in first time.

Monkstown 6 (L Cole 2, J Duncan, R Spencer, M Guilfoyle, S Cole) Corinthian 0

Monkstown eased to a comfortable victory over Corinthian, scarcely looking back from the moment Jeremy Duncan broke the deadlock in the fourth minute from a penalty corner. It was the perfect start to life in sky-blue for the Irish international in his first match back in Ireland for three years.  

David Cole’s raking passes from centre-back through the middle were wreaking havoc and twice Town found themselves close to picking off the reds from such moves. The second came from an intercept which ended up with Duncan winning a corner that Lee Cole – another Irish star back from Belgium – whipped home.  

Lee Cole’s brilliant first time pass from the right sideline at halfway created the third, Ryan Spencer again in behind the defence where he had time to slap past Charlie Henderson. Cole went high with his next corner shot for a 4-0 lead at half-time.

The reds came more into the tie in the second half but – after Duncan had one disallowed – they dropped further behind when another long ball was first timed by Nick Dee into the circle. Max Guilfoyle chipped the ball out of traffic and then fired home on his backhand. Stephen Cole completed the scoring eight minutes from the end via a stroke.

UCD 2 (G Sarratt 2) Glenanne 2 (S Boucher, S O’Donoghue)

Honours even from a scrappy battle at Belfield with UCD and Glenanne sharing four goals. The returning Stephen Dawson made two excellent saves early on to keep out Shane O’Donoghue from open play and then to deny Richard Couse.

Shannon Boucher did put the Glens in front when he wrong-footed the goalkeeper to score form a corner in the second quarter but that was countered by Guy Sarratt firing past Iain Walker right on the half-time whistle.

Player-coach O’Donoghue did get his goal with a gliding run through the defence and then a flick which went high into the net. But the defining moment came four minutes from the end when a Glens’ free deep in UCD territory was overturned for dissent.

Sarratt went on a mazy run which ended in a corner which the captain buried into the same spot as his first strike to make it 2-2.

The Hook

Lorimer hits double as Garvey win opener

James Lorimer struck twice for Ulster side Lisnagarvey in Saturday's victory

Two penalty corner goals by James Lorimer helped Lisnagarvey beat Three Rock Rovers 4-2 as the IHL endured a coronavirus-hit return to action.

YMCA and Monkstown also won while Glenanne and UCD drew 2-2.

The IHL was making its return with last season having been declared null and void in April due to the pandemic.

Three Cork teams refused to travel to Dublin for their women's league games after tighter Covid-19 restrictions came into effect in the city.

The sport at the highest level has been given an elite classification by Sport Ireland and therefore was given the green light to go ahead in Dublin despite the latest restrictios.

Hockey Ireland have yet to make a determination as to whether these games will result in forfeits or if they will be rescheduled.

Dublin based sides either played each other or were able to travel to Ulster.

The men's game between Banbridge and Pembroke was postponed after a Pembroke player tested positive for Covid-19, forcing the club to suspend activities and send some of their players home to self-isolate.
Garvey see off Rovers

On the pitch, Ben Nelson's strike gave Lisnagarvey an early advantage at Comber Road before Ben Johnston's penalty corner levelled matters for Three Rock Rovers.

Nelson restored the home side's lead in the third quarter but once again the visitors bounced back through Peter Blakeney to leave everything to play for heading into the final quarter.

Garvey secured the win with a pair of goals from penalty corners from James Lorimer to record a huge win, even on the first day of the season.

Annadale slumped to defeat as they were beaten 3-0 away to YMCA while Irish international Shane O'Donoghue was on target to secure a 2-2 draw for Glenanne at UCD.

The big winners were Monkstown who hit six against Corinthian without reply.

Harlequins lose despite spirited comeback

In the women's IHL, Belfast Harlequins can count themselves unlucky not to have at least secured a point in a 3-2 defeat by Old Alex.

Led by Irish internationals Bethany Barr and Lizzie Colvin, they dominated periods of the game but failed to convert their chances as the experience of the visitors eventually paid dividends.

Aine Connery scored the opener in the second quarter, the ball hitting both posts on its way to barely crossing the line before Sarah Robinson's successful stroke gave them a 2-0 lead at half-time.

When Ireland's Nikki Evans made it 3-0 just after the restart, finishing off an excellent move, the game looked done and dusted but Harlequins mounted an impressive comeback.

Goals from Natalie Barr and Julie Dennison set up a grandstand finish and they came close on a number of occasions to grabbing the equaliser, and while they came up short, their performance should give them hope for a better season.

Defending champions Pegasus began their new campaign with a 2-0 home win over Pembroke, with Niamh McIvor and Olivia Berry on target.

Elsewhere, Catholic Institute had a 2-0 win over UCD and Railway Union defeated Loreto 2-1.

In IHL 2, Zara Malseed was on target as Ards beat Corinthian 3-0 in Section A while Queen's beat NUIG 3-1 in Section B with Jessica McMaster among the scorers.

BBC Sport

Railway and Insta on fire on women’s EYHL opening day

Catholic Institute following their 2-0 win over UCD at Rosbrien. Catholic Institute v UCD, September 26 2020, Rosbrien

Catholic Institute and Railway Union produced a couple of sensational performances to land wins over sides who were in the top four of the women’s EY Hockey League before it succumbed to lockdown last term.

Women’s EYHL Division One – day one round-up

Loreto 1 (H Matthews) Railway Union 2 (K Lloyd 2)

Kate Lloyd’s double saw Railway Union stun Loreto as they raided Beaufort to win 2-1. Before lockdown, Railway sat in the relegation playoff place while Loreto were on top of the table but the Sandymount side appear refreshed with a new coach and some new players helping them get off to a flying start.

Railway started with intent, winning a corner and then seeing a Sarah Hawkshaw skip across goal just beyond Kate McKenna; Hawkshaw was also set through after a Loreto corner mishap but struck wide.

Loreto had two big chances, too, but they fell behind when Hawkshaw burst forward from midfield and delivered the ball to Lloyd in the circle. She switched to her preferred backhand side and rocketed in the first goal.

Ali Meeke’s sharp volley from a Siofra O’Brien snap-shot looped just over, keeping it at 1-0 at the break. Railway moved further in front in the third quarter with Hawkshaw again the instigator with a great pick-up to a bouncing ball on the baseline and she fed Lloyd to slap in at the near post.

Railway’s defence was solid and unyielding for much of the second half but Loreto did make for a spicy finish when a corner switch fell to Hannah Matthews who swept in from the left-top of the D. They tried the same corner again in the last three minutes but it only found a foot this time and the follow-up corner was crowded out and cleared.

Belfast Harlequins 2 (N Barr, J Dennison) Old Alexandra 3 (A Connery, S Robinson, N Evans)

Old Alex were given a huge scare by Belfast Harlequins but ultimately got all three points from their trip to Deramore Park, winning 3-2. It was the Dubliners’ more clinical touch in front of goal that proved decisive as it was their hosts who had the bulk of the chances in an entertaining contest.

The Belfast side had four decent opportunities to score through Jenna Watt (twice) Emma Uprichard and Julie Dennison in the opening 10 minutes.

But Alex punished their wastefulness six minutes into the second quarter when Aine Connery met a right wing cross and her first time shot trickled over the line after striking both posts.

The Leinster side doubled their lead from the penalty spot through Sarah Robinson on the stroke of half-time. And it was three in the second half when Nikki Evans finished off an incisive counter-attack in which fellow international Deirdre Duke had been instrumental.  

Natalie Barr pulled one back from a narrow angle in the 47th minute and 10 minutes later Dennison reduced the deficit to 3-2 with a carbon copy.

Quins pummelled the Alex circle in the dying minutes but were unable to find the equaliser their spirited display perhaps merited.

Quins coach Phil Mills said: “I thought we played very well against an Alex side that will do well this season in my view but, unfortunately, we just couldn’t make the most of our chances.”

“But we will take a lot of positives out of the game and look forward to playing UCD in Dublin on Saturday.”

Catholic Institute 2 (A Hickey, L Foley) UCD 0

Aoife Hickey and Laura Foley netted a goal each in the closing 12 minutes to earn Catholic Institute a huge win over UCD to start their season in cracking fashion against the recently crowned Irish Senior Cup winners.

“Really pleased to get three points against a fit talented young team,” said coach Dave Passmore. “While UCD created more of the chances in the third period, our increased depth and improved fitness stood to us and we managed the game well in the closing phases which was something we struggled with in the early stages last season.”

Passmore was able to hand club debuts to ex-international goalkeeper Pam Smithwick and American duo Allison Smith and Kelsey Farkas and they had the edge in the early stages before UCD came into a bit more. They handed debuts to Eva Lavelle, Sophia Cole and Rachel Kelly and they began to get a greater hold on the tie with Michelle Carey and Hannah McLoughlin winning corners but to no avail.

The breakthrough came when Ciara Moloney surged forward from left back and fed into the centre of the D; Aoife Hickey’s clever run and first touch took her into space on the right and she struck with her second touch for 1-0.  

And, in the final minutes, they clinched the game following some excellent approach work with Laura Foley’s give and go offering her the chance to slot home.

Pegasus 2 (N McIvor, O Berry) Pembroke 0

Youngsters Niamh McIvor and Olivia Berry struck the Pegasus goals as they put last week’s Irish Senior Cup final defeat behind them to start the EY Hockey League campaign on a winning note.

They controlled the pace of the game and, from their first short corner, converted a Shirley McCay strike with a deflection from Niamh McIvor, 1-0 after five minutes. Berry got the second in the second quarter following another sweet move in which Lucy McKee passed to McIvor down the right side and she crossed immediately for Berry to score on the volley.  

The second half saw plenty of circle entries and a number of short corners but without conversion. Pembroke chased the game and worked hard until the end but it was Pegasus who secured the three points.

EYHL Division 2 round-up

Ards made a big statement on the opening day of EYHL Division 2 when they got the better of Corinthian 3-0. The reds had won all seven of their games before last season was called to a halt but they have started this season on the back foot.

Zara Malseed gave the Ulster side the lead in the eighth minute and they held that through to half-time with Naomi McKnight making some key saves. Katie McKenna’s goal five minutes into the second half was a key one and Ards were out of sight when Amy Benson scored from a penalty corner soon after.  

In Pool B, Queen’s left it late before accounting for NUIG 3-1. Maebh Corcoran had the Galway side 1-0 up at half-time and it was all to play for at the three-quarter time break after Jessica McMaster levelled things up. Rebecca Quinn and Alyssa Jebb completed the comeback in the closing minutes.  

EYHL Division 2 – Pool A: Ards 3 (Z Malseed, K McKenna, A Benson) Corinthian 0; Trinity v UCC – off

Pool B: Queen’s 3 (J McMaster, R Quinn, A Jebb) NUIG 1 (M Corcoran); Monkstown v Cork C of I – off

The Hook

Catholic Institute open season with win as Cork teams refuse to travel to Dublin

The Limerick side were slow to start last term but this year, they hit the ground running. The three Cork sides will find out whether they face any sanction for not fielding later this week.

Stephen Findlater

Catholic Institute landed their first win over UCD for at least 20 years to begin the women’s EY Hockey League with a bang at Rosbrien.

With Cork Harlequins, UCC and Cork C of I all refusing to travel to Dublin on Saturday due to Covid-19 concerns, they were the only Munster side to hit the turf on the opening day of the national leagues.

The Limerick side were slow to start last term but this year, they hit the ground running with an agile looking squad, bolstered by three returnees from UCC and two international quality goalkeepers – Pam Smithwick and Hannah Humphreys – added.

American duo Allison Smith and Kelsey Farkas bring extra quality and it showed as goals in the last 12 minutes from Aoife Hickey and Laura Foley produced the result.

Both came from an excellent platform from the back, the first created by Ciara Moloney’s surge forward from left back. The pass was perfect for Hickey to touch into space on the right of the D, rounding on the ball with her second touch to fire home.

Foley played the instigator and scorer for the second in the final minute, a delightful give and go at pace down the right, with her shot having enough on it to beat Clodagh Cassin.

Since last Christmas, Insta have been a side transformed and, in 2020, have beaten two of the sides who finished in the top four prior to lockdown including reiging EYHL champs Pegasus and, now, Irish Senior Cup holders UCD.

For coach Dave Passmore, he was thrilled as his side was unable to secure meaningful warm-up matches over than against his club’s men’s team, saying “our increased depth and improved fitness stood to us and we managed the game well in the closing phases which was something we struggled with in the early stages last season”.

The three Cork sides will find out whether they face any sanction for not fielding later this week.

Irish Examiner

Razak Cup achieves mission

By Jugjet Singh

Perak players celebrate after winning the Razak Cup by beating Terengganu 4-2 in the final at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Kiara on Saturday. BERNAMA PIC

KUALA LUMPUR: The 58th Edition of the Razak Cup turned out to be an exciting tournament, but sadly there were no fans at both the National Hockey Stadium pitches to witness it.

The tournament was played behind closed doors due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Matches, however, were live on TV.

As expected, teams with a healthy dose of national players went home with medals.

But the stands were not all empty as the national men's and women's coaches and their assistants were busy taking notes and compiling names for call-ups.

Men's coach Arul Selvarajcwas impressed with some of the players during the tournament.

"I spotted an unknown player (not in the system yet) who was always looking for an opportunity on and off the ball, and these are some of the qualities that players in Europe have which can turn a tough match around.

"I like him and ....," said Arul cutting short of naming the player that impressed him.

The coaches will name their list of trainees soon.

"I am satisfied with several up-and-coming players, who displayed excellent performances in the tournament. I might include them in the centralised training session on Thursday," said Arul.

Finally, after being neglected for years, the 58th edition has fulfilled its intended role.


Men: 1 Perak, 2 Terengganu, 3 Kuala Lumpur, 4 Pahang, 5 Perlis, 6 Sabah, 7 Police, 8 Malacca, 9 Penang, 10 Armed Forces, 11 Negri, 12 Selangor.

Best Player (Final): Haziq Samsul (Perak).

Top scorer: Faizal Saari (Terengganu) — 19 goals.

Fairplay: Kedah.

Women: 1 Pahang, 2 Selangor, 3 Kuala Lumpur, 4 Penang, 5 Police, 6 Negri, 7 Perak, 8 Armed Forces, 9 Terengganu, 10 Terengganu, 11 Sarawak.

Best player (Final): Fitrinur Amira Ramlee (Pahang),

Top scorer: Nuraini Rashid (Pahang) — 10 goals.

FAIRPLAY: Malacca.

New Straits Times

Chris Ciriello leaves Indian hockey camp with penalty corner battery charged

By Subhashish Majumdar

Chris Ciriello (Source: Hockey India)

It could well have been a scene that was tailormade for a blockbuster and the tension was nothing short of palpable.

The anxious crowd at the Kalinga Stadium erupted with folded hands when the Indians earned a PC while they trailed a formidable Netherlands side by a 1-2 margin in the quarterfinals of the 2018 World Cup.

With five minutes left on the clock, the hosts were down to ten men but Max Caldas’ side handed the Indians a lifeline when Sander Baart brought Chinglensana down in the Dutch circle thus giving the home side a chance to draw level.

The epic moment saw Varun Kumar line up alongside the ever-dependable Harmanpreet Singh as the Dutch runners crouched in wait. It was just the kind of situation that teams save their most priceless PC variations for.

True champions are created in times such as these and it was a short corner that could well have altered the course of Indian hockey.

Yet, as Harendra Singh and master drag-flicker Chris Ciriello looked on in despair, Dutch custodian Pirmin Blaak stood tall under the bar denying Harmanpreet twice.

For reasons best known to them, the Indians opted against using a variation, and Blaak padded Harmanpreet’s flick away before doing the same one more time as the defender from Punjab tried a tomahawk off the deflection.

The PC strike lacked sting and was hardly the kind of weapon a think-tank prepares for a game as crucial as a World Cup quarterfinal.

After having made it to the knockout stages of a home World Cup, the Indians faltered and were knocked out of Odisha 2018.

Manpreet Singh and co. converted five of their 14 PCs at the World Cup but a sixth, at the death and under pressure, was the one that could have made all the difference.

It was an opportunity lost for Harmanpreet, and more importantly his accomplished mentor, Chris Ciriello.

The man who seemed to be able to score PC hattricks at will, like he did twice in 2014 against the Dutch in the World Cup title clash, and against India in the final of the Commonwealth Games could not quite rub his magic onto the Indian boys as much as their fans would have liked him to.

Time rolled on, and after what seemed like ages, Rupinder Pal Singh’s admirers rejoiced as the towering lad from Faridkot set the Pro League galleries alight with a flurry of powerful and accurate PC flicks that rocketed their way into the netting at the Kalinga Stadium earlier this year.

The towering “Bobby” scored no less than five goals in six encounters with a devastating array of aerial shots mixed in with a few that were directed along the turf.

Just when it seemed that Harmanpreet Singh would end up being the mainstay of the Indian PC brigade that also boasted of Varun Kumar and Amit Rohidas, opposition coaches were no doubt alarmed as Rupinder too looked to have regained his magic touch ahead of Tokyo 2020.

Indeed, everything seemed to be falling in place at just the right time for Chris Ciriello’s wards when a virus played spoilsport resulting in the Pro League and the all-important Olympic Games being postponed.

When the Indian boys do step up to take the PCs that come their way in Tokyo next year, Ciriello will not be on hand to send out the instructions, or indeed, to determine when the variations would be unleashed or held back.

The 34-year-old Australian is one of the few coaches who quit the Indian camp without being shown the door and it goes without saying that the timing of the move is unlikely to help India’s buildup to Tokyo 2021, especially at a time when all international competition has ground to a halt.

The resignation of an Analytical Coach that comes close on the heels of the exit of the High-Performance Director may seem alarming to Indian hockey fans just when the team’s Pro League heroics against the top three teams nurtured hopes of an Olympic medal.

Yet, the proverbial stiff upper lip is what comes in handy for the players who have learnt to deal with a perceived instability that is more the norm than the exception as far as Indian hockey is concerned.

Yet again, the search for coaches will begin and yet again will the entire setup be tested when the newcomers from another land attempt to familiarize themselves, on and off the pitch, with the peculiarities of a subcontinent that once ruled the game of hockey.

So, how much will Chris Ciriello’s sudden departure cost the Indians with less than a year to go before the 2021 Games?

A million-dollar question, indeed, as the champion drag-flicker was assigned the role of an Analytical Coach when all Indian hockey fans wanted was for Ciriello to get the Indian PC battery all charged up to fire in the short corners by the dozen.

As far as the short corners are concerned, the 2018 Champions Trophy was to have been the first litmus test for Ciriello who had joined the Indian camp before the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games earlier that year.

A dry pitch at Breda left most teams struggling to even stop the ball cleanly, and although Gonzalo Peillat (who had almost single-handedly earned the Argentinians their first Olympic gold thanks to his PCs) was the highest scorer with 6 goals, it was not a record he would have been particularly proud of considering his prowess.

The PC statistics, however, were overshadowed by a well-deserved Champions Trophy silver medal, and as the Indians went on a rampage against the many minnows at the Jakarta Asian Games, it was futile to try and make sense of the numbers as several continental milestones were wiped out in a blaze.

Both Varun and Harmanpreet found the net in the semifinal of the Asian Games against the Malaysians but converting two of the seven PCs earned was not enough to prevent an ignominious defeat for Harendra Singh’s team.

Coaches around the world have acknowledged the fact that converting PCs is getting increasingly difficult as rival camps monitor the drag-flickers every routine with the runners ready to take body blows in an attempt to keep the ball away from the citadel.

Ciriello’s Indian roots (his mum was born in Kolkata) and his love for Indian hockey was what inspired him to try his hand at imbibing the Aussie art of winning into the Indian camp.

After all, the man who has been part of an Australian team that won the Olympic bronze in 2012, the World Cup gold in 2014 and the Champions Trophy gold in 2012 and 2016 knows more than a thing or two about how to get onto tournament podiums.

While the Big Dog’s exploits as Analytical Coach of the Indian men’s team may not have been as spectacular, few can deny the fact that the eight-time Olympic gold medalists have learned to compete at the highest level like never before in the recent past, and the fourth best team in the world may yet climb the ladder as Ciriello tracks their moves from afar.

The Bridge

The "Indian" hand in South Korea's surge onto the Olympic Podium

Last week of September is remarkable for Asian hockey especially for Indians. Sydney Olympics that ended in the last week of September twenty summers ago in particular warrants our attention for more than one reason. In the second part of the September Series, s2h brings alive the Indian hand at Sydney Olympic final. And also we revisit Sydney Olympics semifinal, how the Koreans’ suicidal runs led to change of rules etc.

Even as the Indian team and their multitude of supporters reeled from the devastation of missing the 2000 Sydney Olympic semifinals by a whisker, the country’s contribution to the game was still celebrated in dramatic style on this day by one man. It was South Korea manager and de facto head coach Kim Sang-Ryul whose team reached their first-ever men’s Olympic final with a 1-0 win over Pakistan, the three-time Olympic and four-time World champions.

The exuberant Sang-Ryul was a former pupil of the National Institute of Sports (NIS), Patiala. Ironically, his team sneaked through to the semifinals at India’s expense on the basis of the head-to-head criterion in which a 2-0 victory proved crucial.

Sang-Ryul picked up the nuances during his NIS time in India and attributes his firm foundation in hockey coaching to his mentor, the iconic Late Balkishen Singh, an Olympic gold medal winner himself at Melbourne 1956. Way back in 1985-86, Sang-Ryul coped with the handicap of not speaking any English and completed the 10-month course at the NIS. He drew praise from Balkishen at the time who was reported as saying in the NIS Sports Scientific Journal, “He grasped everything and, if he was in any doubt, discussed it fully with the coaches.

“Because of his physical education background he produces teams with super fitness. And his experience at the NIS allowed him to mix Indian skills with the modern technical game,” he had added.

It all seemed to add up on that day in Sydney. The achievement, though, came at a cost. Kim may have learned the ropes in India where skill and elan come to the fore but his tutelage often meant drumbeating his charges to a adopt gritty, aggressive and sometimes “suicidal” tactics.

It came to pass at Sydney’s Olympic Park where the Koreans foiled Pakistan’s most lethal weapon in the form of Sohail Abbas, probably the best drag-flicker of all time and highest scorer in the international game. The Pak maestro failed from seven such awards – as Kim’s rota of “first man out” from the goal-line put his body on the line in an effort to thwart Sohail’s salvos. One flick turned deadly, sending a Korean braveheart to hospital. His courage didn’t go in vain. Korean star striker Song Seung-Tae scored from a penalty corner variation in the 57th minute to assure his country its first ever men’s Olympic hockey medal.

The Koreans settled for silver after a fightback in the last few minutes of the final against defending champions The Netherlands (neutralizing a 1-3 deficit) to take match into extra-time and then the tie breaker which they lost.

The Korean tactics, especially against Pakistan, however had far reaching ramifications with face masks and other protective apparel at a penalty corner defence now becoming the norm. It also influenced a rule change effected before the next Olympics in Athens four years later – that of outlawing the defender rushing out from placing his/her body before the penalty corner striker.

Despite the defeat to the Dutch in the final, the Korean players chaired and tossed Sang-Ryul in the air in appreciation of his role for nearly a decade during which he moulded and shaped the team as Asia’s No. 1. Under his tutelage, South Korea won the 1993 and 1999 Asia Cup titles and the 1994 Asian Games gold culminating in the Olympic silver in Sydney. He also guided South Korea to a 1995 Indira Gandhi Gold Cup victory in New Delhi, vanquishing India, the nation who taught him the rudiments of hockey coaching.

Sang-Ryul, now coaches China’s men after quitting the job in his native Korea following controversial remarks over the women’s team under his charge. He didn’t take kindly to his players’ obsession with make-up which he claimed affected training and match preparation and was critical of their failure to follow the gameplan at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Parting ways with South Korean hockey the next year, his influence then brought China their first Asian Games medal – a silver – and how!

China, preparing for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, beat both India 3-2 (in the pool) and Pakistan 2-1 in extra-time in the semifinals before going down to Sang-Ryul’s country of origin, South Korea, 1-3 in the 2006 Asian Games final.

Once again, the former NIS-pupil proved India’s nemesis. The defeat inflicted on his former masters deprived them of a place in the semifinals thereby making it the first time India failed to win a medal at the Asian Games. Eventually, it also led to the eight-time Olympic gold medallists failing to qualify for Beijing 2008.

Under Sang-Ryul, China made waves in the 2018 World Cup in Bhubaneswar where they made the cross-overs. A shock draw with England (2-2) and another with Ireland (1-1) enabled Sang-Ryul’s team progress despite a 0-11 loss to Australia.

A narrow 0-1 defeat to France in the cross-over ended their campaign but a 11th-place finish out of 16 was a creditable performance by any reckoning.

Sang-Ryul now speaks English quite well but having traversed countries and continents since those days in Patiala has made many a statement in the language of hockey.


Life Member - Brian Glencross OAM

The 190th player to represent Australia, Brian Glencross OAM went on to play 93 times for Australia, scoring 37 goals in a career that spanned 11 years.

Brian made his debut for Australia in Melbourne on 19 September 1964 against Pakistan in the lead up to the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games.

As a member of the Kookaburras, Brian won a bronze medal and silver medal at consecutive Olympic Games - bronze in 1964 and silver four years later in Mexico City.

In Mexico, Brian was appointed Vice Captain but was in effect captain for the entire program, as Don McWatters was unable to take the field. Australia defeated India in the semi-final before going down to Pakistan to take silver. Brian top scored in these games with 7 goals and then went on to captain the team at the 1972 Munich Olympics.

Brian was appointed the inaugural Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) women's hockey coach in 1984, a position he would hold up until 1995.

He coached the Australian Women’s national team, the Hockeyroos, at three Olympic Games, which included the gold medal in Seoul 1988. He was also in charge of the team at four World Cups and three Champions Trophy tournaments.

Induction into the Hockey Australia and Sport Australia Halls of Fame, a Medal of the Order of Australia, Centenary Medal, and Australian Sports Medal are among a raft of accolades he has received for his efforts and achievements.

Under his guidance, the Hockeyroos achieved outstanding results, highlighted by the Olympic gold medal in Seoul and the silver medal at the 1990 World Cup.

Brian’s influence on Australian hockey, particularly at the international level, cannot be understated. Brian's Life Membership was ratified in 2019.

What he said…

“Thank you to Hockey Australia for this recognition, which I am honoured to receive. Hockey has given me a lifetime of opportunities. Reaching the pinnacle in the sport, both playing and coaching, opened doors for me and enabled me to achieve my goals, for which I am most grateful.” Brian Glencross OAM

From those in the know…

“Brian Glencross is a giant of the game of hockey in Australia. He was born in Narrogin in the wheatbelt of Western Australia and forged a career in the game that saw him play in three Olympic Games. In ‘68 he was instrumental in Australia’s silver medal win where his corner hitting was seen as world’s best.

His decade in the national team and two decades playing for WA, many years as captain of both, was then followed by over a decade as coach of the national women’s team the Hockeyroos. A terrific competitor, superbly disciplined and skilled, Brian was the first to really take preparation and training to a professional level. Totally absorbed in the game he loved so much and to which he gave so much, he was the consummate team player and a reliable and trusted colleague. He worked with me during the 90s as High Performance Manager for the Hockeyroos and played a pivotal role in ensuring the team’s success was extended into the Atlanta and Sydney games.

I know of few personalities in the game who have contributed more than Brian over many decades…he loved the game and he worked hard to make his teammates better and help those he coached to realise their potential. Truly a hockey great.” Ric Charlesworth AO (Hockey Australia Legend)

Hockey Timeline
1964-1975 Men’s National Team
1964 Tokyo Olympic Games Bronze Medal
1968 Mexico City Olympic Games Silver Medal

1984-1995 Women’s National Team Coach
1981 America’s Cup Gold Medal
1983 World Cup Bronze Medal
1987 Champions Trophy Silver Medal
1988 Olympic Games Gold Medal
1990 World Cup Gold Medal

1968 WA Sports Federations Sportsman of the Year
1991 Medal of the Order of Australia
1991 Inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame
1996 Inducted into the WA Hall of Champions
2000 Awarded the Australian Sports Medal
2001 Awarded the Centenary Medal
2008 Inducted into the Hockey Australia Hall of Fame

Hockey Australia media release

UVa field hockey team outlasts Wake Forest for first win of season

Bennett Conlin

Virginia striker Esha Shah, shown here in Saturday’s game against Wake Forest, helped the Cavaliers split their two weekend games with the Demon Deacons. UVa media relations

A day after losing to Wake Forest in a nonconference match, the Virginia field hockey team wouldn’t be denied in the ACC clash against the Demon Deacons.

Despite fewer than 24 hours between matches, UVa (1-1, 1-0 ACC) performed well Sunday, beating Wake Forest 1-0 after losing 2-1 Saturday.

Laura Janssen’s fourth-quarter goal put UVa on top, and the Cavaliers held on despite Wake Forest having a few penalty corner chances in the final two minutes of the match.

“It felt really good,” Adele Iacobucci said. “We obviously came from a loss yesterday, so we knew today we had to work really hard all four quarters to win and just to put everything we have — grit and grind — on the field.”

Iacobucci assisted on Janssen’s goal, delivering a phenomenal pass into the circle that Janssen knocked by the goalkeeper with just 3:10 left on the clock.

“All I knew was I just had to get it in the circle,” Iacobucci said. “We didn’t have much time. It was the fourth quarter. We had to get something in whether it was pretty or not. Luckily it found Laura and she got it in the goal.”

The victory comes a day after UVa opened up a 1-0 lead on the Demon Deacons before fading late and losing 2-1. Two Virginia goals were called off Saturday, hurting the team’s demeanor.

Despite a few good chances not resulting in goals throughout the match Sunday, the Cavaliers stayed patient and waited for their chance. Ultimately, the chance came late in the match and the Cavaliers took advantage.

Wake Forest’s chances were limited throughout the game, as UVa’s defense stood tall.

Goalkeeper Taylor Henriksen picked up the first victory of her career, posting a shutout for the Wahoos.

“I’ve been waiting two years to have my first career win,” Henriksen said, “so here we are, and it feels great.”

Henriksen recorded nine saves Saturday in the 2-1 loss, showcasing her talent in the goal. She faced fewer shots Sunday, only needing three saves to earn the shutout.

Head coach Michele Madison had the Cavaliers change a few things in their defense Sunday, according to Henriksen. The minor adjustments worked.

Madison also said it was her strategy Sunday to use as many bodies as needed to handle the physical toll of playing two games in two days following an offseason without any scrimmages against opponents.

“They came to play,” Madison said. “They found way to dig deep. Back-to-back games are tough.”

Overall, the weekend was productive for the Cavaliers. Facing an ACC team twice in two days isn’t easy, but Virginia rallied to earn a win in the second game of the weekend.

More than anything else, though, Virginia took the field. There was tremendous uncertainty this summer about the likelihood of fall sports occurring at all.

This weekend, the Wahoos played twice, navigating COVID-19 protocols to reach the start of the season. The Sunday victory added to a celebratory two days.

“It was amazing,” Madison said Saturday. “I was waiting for that whistle to blow and that whistle blew, and it was just awesome.”

Virginia 1, Wake Forest 0

ACC matchup

Key play: Laura Janssen’s fourth-quarter goal gave Virginia the lead for good.

The Daily Progress

Duke field hockey drops opening 2 matches at Louisville

By Sasha Richie

Duke struggled to execute offensively throughout the weekend. Photo by Mary Helen Wood | The Chronicle

After a disappointing 2019 season, Duke looked to start the 2020 campaign strong.

But the Blue Devils struggled throughout their opening weekend, falling to Louisville 3-0 Friday and 3-1 Saturday at Trager Stadium in Louisville, Ky., with the first of the two contests counting as a conference matchup.

Duke was supposed to start its season last weekend against Syracuse, a good but middle-of-the-road team. However, the Blue Devil bus had to turn around after it was reported that several Syracuse players had been potentially exposed to someone with COVID-19.

Thus, Duke was forced to start the year with a back-to-back against the perennially high-ranking Cardinals.

“I don’t have any control in scheduling,” Blue Devil head coach Pam Bustin said of this unprecedented season. “I would never open up with a top-10 team like Louisville or [a team] in the conference.”

Duke (0-2, 0-1 in the ACC) played no scrimmages this season, and to jump directly into conference play and a back-to-back was a huge hurdle for the team. Despite the two losses, Bustin is happy with the improvement she saw in the second game.

On Friday, Louisville (2-0, 1-0 in the ACC) scored three goals on 10 shots, while the Blue Devils answered with just five shots and no goals of their own. Duke found a stronger offensive footing the next day, though, tallying 10 shots and a goal.

For much of Saturday’s game, it seemed like the score could go either way. Both teams were able to create chances and generate momentum, and only in the fourth quarter did the Cardinals gain any visible edge against the Blue Devils.

After Louisville scored the first goal of the game with just over 30 seconds left in the first half, Duke forward Noor van de Laar answered a mere 19 seconds later to tie the game going into halftime. Smart passes and quick feet in the middle were to thank for the golden opportunity.

However, a string of penalties in the third period resulted in two goals for Louisville. Despite a valiant effort from Duke, those would be the last goals of the game.

Nevertheless, Bustin was proud of the work her players put in after the first loss.

“They took it upon themselves to discuss situations and pull video out for themselves to look at and discuss approaches,” Bustin said. “[They were] just so proactive in making some changes for today.”
Get Overtime, all Duke athletics

The Blue Devils lost many key players to graduation after last season, including two All-Americans and their four-year starting goalie. However, the team’s freshmen stepped up in a big way this past weekend.

On Saturday, freshman midfielder Darcy Bourne led the team in shots in just her second outing as a Blue Devil, and freshman goalie Piper Hampsch made six saves. Improving on her three saves Friday, Hampsch provided quality insurance when the defense faltered against the Cardinals’ aggressive offense.

Following Saturday’s contest, Bustin singled out finishing opportunities in the scoring circle and possession in the defensive zone as areas of improvement for Duke. Perhaps the most glaring issue Bustin mentioned, however, were penalties.

While Duke limited Louisville to one field goal Saturday, down from three Friday, the other two of the Cardinals’ three goals came from penalty corners. In total, the home team got nine penalty corner opportunities Saturday, with those being far more difficult to defend.

Still, Saturday’s match was a huge improvement over Friday, even if the scoreboard only reflected that somewhat. The energy was up, the chemistry was there and the Blue Devils were calm and collected in situations that left them looking confused and frantic the day prior.

Next, Duke returns home to play North Carolina Sunday at 12 p.m. The Tar Heels won both the 2018 and 2019 NCAA championships and are undefeated over the past two seasons. It won’t be an easy matchup for the Blue Devils, but a tense rivalry and a new fire in the team should make for an exciting game.

Duke Chronicle

Matriarch of Hawke's Bay hockey Margaret Hiha dies

Margaret Hiha at the time of being announced a recipient of a MNZM in 2009. Photo / File Hawkes Bay Today

Hawke's Bay has lost one of its most multi-talented sportspersons with the passing of Margaret (Marg) Hiha MNZM.

The Hawke's Bay sports matriarch died in Napier on Sunday, aged 86.

Hawke's Bay Sportsperson of the year in 1968 and in 2016 acclaimed Hawke's Bay Sportsperson of the era from 1966 to 1986, she was a provincial representative in four sports but best known in hockey, representing New Zealand and later coaching and managing the national women's side.

In a playing and team management career spanning more than 40 years she was also a senior provincial representative in softball, basketball and tennis, including matches variously for Auckland, Otago, Bay of Plenty and Hawke's Bay.

Her receipt of the only the third Hawke's Bay Sportsperson of the Year award came after she had already represented New Zealand at hockey and after the first of the nine K Cup national women's tournament wins in which she shared between 1968 and 1980.

That it was at the height of Hawke's Bay's 1966-1969 Ranfurly Shield rugby era made her winning of the award particularly special.

She also coached the Hawke's Bay team from 1979 to 1984 and was manager from 1986 to 1993.

She also won a national women's softball title with Auckland, as her senior sports career got under way while at Ardmore teachers' training college in 1951-1952, she was a New Zealand Māori women's tennis champion, and a Hawke's Bay women's basketball representative.

She then became a founding inductee of the Hawke's Bay Sports Hall of fame in 2003, and was also a member of the New Zealand Māori Sports Hall of Fame.

Her services to sports and education were recognised in 2009 as a recipient of the MNZM (Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit) in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

Born at Matatā, Bay of Plenty, on February 2, 1934, sport and helping others was her life.

Two brothers were Māori All Blacks at rugby, as was husband, fellow school teacher, Napier kaumātua, Hawke's Bay tennis representative and ONZM recipient Heitia Hiha, whom she married in Matata on December 18, 1954 and who died in 2018.

Long after the big-time playing, coaching and managing roles were over she was still encouraging children to take up sport, particularly coaching budding hockey players.

Daughters Anne, Allana and Shelley have also excelled at sport, while son Shane is principal of Te Aute College. All played representative tennis through the grades for Hawke's Bay, and Anne, Allana and Shelley all played representative hockey.

Her school teaching career spanned 34 years, teaching in Waipawa, Horoera near East Cape, Whakatāne, and in Hawke's Bay, including Wycliffe Intermediate in Napier (a school now incorporated in William Colenso College). She retired from working full-time in 1997, but continued in part-time and voluntary roles, in education and health fields.

The New Zealand Herald

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author