Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 16 May 2017

All the news for Tuesday 16 May 2017

Black Sticks building depth for major events

By David Leggat

Rachel McCann celebrates her goal with Jordan Grant during Black Sticks Women vs India. Photo / Photosport

The next few weeks shape as significant for the women's Black Sticks.

They play game two of their five-game series against India at Pukekohe today, which is preparation for the World League semifinals in Brussels next month. They won the opener at the same venue 4-1 on Sunday.

New Zealand are hosting the World League final in Auckland in November so, in one sense, the heat may be off in Brussels.

Try telling that to coach Mark Hager, who is liking what he's seeing from the younger players coming into the team.

Six senior players are missing this year, all taking time out from the game for various reasons " goalkeeper Georgia Barnett, and outfielders Petrea Webster, Gemma McCaw, Anita McLaren, Sophie Cocks and Charlotte Harrison.

Hager is confident most of them will be back. So the younger players, who have caught his eye, will need to take their chance against India and in Brussels.

"In Hawke's Bay (where they successfully defended their title against Australia, the United States and Japan last month) they showed they're capable, and that's quite pleasing," Hager said. "I have a bit of a saying: be wary when you lend your hockey stick; you may not get it back."

There are conditions for the six absentees if they want to get back into the Black Sticks. They must play the National Hockey League tournament, which is in Wellington in mid-September. The Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in April is a high priority.

"I will have discussions with those players about training programmes because, from my point of view, those players have to be training and playing late this year and not just expect to return in January and be ready to play," Hager said.

The women's Black Sticks will play at least 40 internationals this year. Burnout becomes an important factor.

"We have to manage it better in future," Hager said.

There are plans to develop a national club competition to enhance the pool of talent. That could trim the amount of overseas trips they make each year. But, even then, there's a problem.

Many of those trips are for qualifying events to advance to the next stage of the big international tournaments, such as World Cups and World Leagues.

The New Zealand Herald

Madibaz finish strong, as UKZN end tough first competition in last spot

By Raynique Meyer

Luzaan Potgieter from NMMU tries for goal and Robin Ashton from KZN tries to stop her. Photo Mario van de Wall/SASPA

It was a runaway victory for the Madibaz as Kirsty Tonks owned the show. Her team thrashed UKZN with a final score of 15-0 to exit the Varsity Hockey tournament in seventh position in Potchefstroom on Monday afternoon.

Cassandra Lister and Aimee Polhmann opened the scoreboard for the Madibaz as Lister finished a short corner to put her side it 1-0 up against UKZN. A few minutes later it was Polhmann who found the back of the goal box as she managed to extend the lead with a field goal, to 3-0.

Before halftime it was Kirsty Tonks with a comfortable field goal, who kept the board ticking in favour of the Madibaz, as they headed into halftime with a score of 5-0.

In the third chukka Kanyisa Gwata and Erin Sims quickly added to Madibaz’s lead of 9-0 as UKZN couldn’t hold their defence organised. Tonks didn’t miss out on the action in the circle as she claimed another two points for the Madibaz to leave them on 11-0.

Lauren Nina also added her name to Madibaz’s score sheet as she found the back of the board to put her side on 13-0.

But the circle belonged to Tonks in the last chukka of the encounter as she showed her class when she once again found the back of the net to extend the lead to 15-0 for the Madibaz as they claimed the match.

UKZN had to be satisfied with eighth position in this year’s tournament.

FNB Player of the Match: Kirsty Tonks (Madibaz)
Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Robin Ashton (UKZN)

Madibaz: 15
Goals: Cassandra Lister (Penalty goal), Aimee Polhmann (Field goal), Kirsty Tonks (Field goal x3), Kanyisa Gwata (Field goal), Erin Sims (Field goal), Lauren Nina (Field goal)


Madibaz: Kerryn Frost, Taryn Koen, Sequeira Kiona van Niekerk, Caitlin Gouws, Kanyisa Gwata, Taylah Bird, Erin Sims, Aimee Polhmann, Carly Redcliffe, Cassandra Lister, Luzaan Potgieter
Subs: Lauren Nina, Jamie-Leigh Banks, Malikah Potgieter, Meri Janse van Rensburg, Simone Dolley, Kirsty Tonks, Leigh Paulsen.

UKZN: Janine Ndlovu, Jamie Chisholm, Sinethemba Zungu, Chardinay Penniston, Nolwazi Mkize, Chiree Coetzee, Nqobile Shange, Vanessa Atkinson, Anessa Patel, Tanner van den Bergh, Noxolo Manele.
Subs: Robin Ashton, Tiffany Jones, Nonqaba Bengu, Zafika Yengo, Megan Hargreaves, Nonthando Mlambo, Thandazile Mnguni,

Varsity Sports media release

Kovsies pip UJ to fifth spot

By Raynique Meyer

Elizabeth Jessica Charles from Kovsies tries for the ball while Jenevieve Taljaard from UJ tries to get to the ball. Photo Mario van de Wall/SASPA

Kovsies’ Antonet Louw scored in the dying moments of the match to snatch the fifth position away from UJ with a final score of 4-2, in Potchefstroom on Monday afternoon.

UJ had the momentum in the first chukka but Kovsies’ defence remained calm under the pressure. Kovsies fought back as Lezanne Vermaak made her mark when she got into the circle to strike and took the lead for her team as they headed into halftime 2-0 up.

In the third chukka UJ had the momentum and attacking opportunities but lacked the skill to round off their short corners. UJ’s Lanne Rossouw fought back for her team as she managed to strike and find the back board to equalise. The score locked at 2-2.

But it would end in dramatic fashion as Antonet Louw’s late flick sealed the match for her side, and UJ ended in sixth position in this year’s tournament.

FNB Player of the Match: Ashleigh Datnow (UJ)
Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Robyn Ormond (UJ)

Kovsies: 4
Goals: Lezanne Vermaak (Field goal), Antonet Louw (Field goal)

UJ: 2
Goals: Lanne Rossouw (Field goal)

Kovsies: Alri Vorster, Chane Hartel, Jessica Elizabeth Charles, Antonet Louw, Shindre-Lee Simmons, Pricilla Esterhuyze, Candice Calder, Heraldine Olin, Casey-Jean Botha, Janke Kotze, Nicole Kruger.
Subs: Lisa Alberts, Lezanne Vermaak, Nisa van Zyl, Nadia van Staden, Este van Schalkwyk, Shanay Solomon, S’Thabile Motsa.

UJ: Isabella Da Rocha, Lanne Rossouw, Ashleigh Datnow, Kirsten Paton, Lisa Hawker, Jivanka Kruger, Zeena Martin, Alex Kavanagh, Carmen Smith, Cheneal Raubenheimer, Nadia Mattana.
Subs: Robyn Ormond, Yonela Dishi, Jenevieve Taljaard, Phia Gerber, Bernice Brink, Erin Moody, Kerry Trebble.

Varsity Sports media release

Tuks triumph against Wits to reach final

By Wouter Pienaar

Izelle Verster plays the ball while Nicole Smith from Wits is trying to stop her. Photo Mario van de Wall/SASPA

Tuks overcame Wits in the battle of Gauteng to book their place in Varsity Hockey final with a close 3-2 victory at the NWU-Puk Astro turf on Monday night in Potchefstroom.

Anel Luus was one of the star players for Tuks in this semi-final and she underlined her class with a goal early on to give the Pretoria ladies a 2-0 lead. Tuks captain, Natalie Esteves was once again solid at the back and together with Marissa Poolman laid the defensive foundation.

Tuks were in control after the first chukka and Wits needed to up the intensity in order to get back into the game. Lezaan Janse van Vuuren and Nicole Smith tried their best to create chances, but Wits lacked the drive needed to break down Tuks’ defence. At half-time the score remained the same with Tuks going in with a narrow 2-0 lead.

The match was on a knife’s edge and Wits keeper Petro Stofberg made a number of outstanding saves to deny Tuks a further advantage as the clock continue to tick in Tuks’ favour. Wits’ Smith then got the important equaliser in the 40th minute of the match just inside the shooting circle to add more drama to the encounter at 2-2.

With one minute to go in the third chukka, Izelle Verster pushed the ball in from close range in a goal-mouth scramble from a penalty corner to make it 3-2 in Tuks’ favour.  Verster continued to cause Wits problems from the righthand side of the field as Tuks continued to attack in the search for a larger advantage.

Wits were valiant in defence though as they kept Tuks at bay with a number of tremendous saves and defensive clearances under pressure. Londeka Dlamini and Gillian Robertson were especially good in these areas as they showed brilliant composure for Wits.

Wits seemed to have the momentum in the final five minutes of the match as they pushed hard for the winning goal. It was not to be though as Tuks grinded out for a precious win that puts then into a home final next week Monday on 22 September.

Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Petro Stofberg (Wits)
FNB Player of the Match: Izelle Verster (Tuks)

Tuks: 3
Goals: Anel Luus (Field Goal), Izelle Verster (Penalty Corner)

Wits: 2
Goals: Nicole Smith (Field Goal)

Tuks: Marlise van Tonder, Marissa Poolman, Chané Hill, Anél Luus, Catherine Morris, Izalle Verster, Natalie Esteves, Luvolwethu Nkole, Claire Gibbings, Amy Etherington , Thandokazi Chithi
Subs: Melicia van Loggerenberg, Jénica De Encarnaçăo, Meeghan Scheffer, Danielle Kerdachi, Amoné Mouton, Mabongi Nyalungu

Wits: Tamsin Copeland, , Gillian Robertson, Sissy Pieterse, Nicky Veto, , Londeka Dlamini, Nompilo Thenjwayo, Nicole Smith, Amber Dry, Kelly Wrensch, Lezaan Janse van Vuuren, Vicky Jonker,
Subs: Petro Stofberg, Nolwazi Ngubane, Lelethu Ndakisa, Robyn Fyrie, Ash Readhead, Mandisa Sigudla, Jureya Dildar

Varsity Sports media release

Glasby grabs winner as Maties dump Pukke out of Varsity Hockey

By Wouter Pienaar

Natasha Rootenberg of Maties and Lerato Mahlangu of PUKKE fight for the ball. Photo by: HALDEN KROG/SASPA

Maties withstood a Pukke onslaught in the final chukka to progress to the Varsity Hockey final with a tense 3-2 win in the second Varsity Hockey semi-final at the NWU-Puk Astro turf on Monday night.

Both teams literally put their bodies on the line and they fought tooth and nail for a spot in the final against Tuks. Tarryn Glasby was the hero for Maties as her goal just before the break was the difference between two evenly matched hockey giants.

Maties scored first after six minutes through Minke van Heerden as the away side stamped their authority from the get-go. Pukke did not want to let their supporters down and continued in their search for an equaliser with Elmien Jacobs and Lerato Mahlangu probing in attack.

The crowd at the NWU-Pukke Astro turf was vocal in their support and chanted the customary “here we go Pukke, here we go” loudly every time Pukke forced a short corner from the Maties defence. Pukke kept most of the territory and possession in the first chukka and got a deserved equaliser after a goalmouth scramble with Courtney du Preez tapping in to make it 2-2.

It was all to play for as the second chukka got underway and both teams played with extra urgency as all caution went out the window. It was classic counter-attacking action as Pukke and then Maties came close from penalty corners at both ends of the turf.

Pukke’s Marine Kock was in excellent form and made a great save with her right foot to keep the home side in the game. Pukke continued to press for the lead and came close on a few occasions without further disturbing the scorekeeper before the break. Maties took advantage of this with 30 seconds of the second chukka remaining to take the lead through a Tarryn Glasby penalty corner special. Maties were definitely the happier of the two sides with this 3-2 lead at the break.

The game was getting tenser by the minute in the third chukka with Maties hoping to get further ahead and Pukke looking to get into the lead for the first time in the match. Glasby once again came close but Pukke’s defence stood firm to keep it to 3-2 with one final chukka to go.

Pukke was on the attack for most of the final 15 minutes and came close to getting the elusive winner with Anneke Beukman chipping a deflected shot inches over the net. Desperate defence from Maties’ Lenta Cullinan also kept the home side at bay with a great block that had her hurting from the impact.

Pukke called for the Powerplay in the final two minutes as excitement and expectation rose to a fever pitch. Each pass and shooting opportunity was cheered, but Maties somehow managed to withstand the immense pressure to book their spot in the final.

Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Dunelle van Taak (Pukke)
FNB Player of the Match: Page Alcock (Maties)

NWU Pukke: 2
Goals: Courtney du Preez (Field Goal),

Maties: 3
Goals: Minke van Heerden (Field Goal), Tarryn Glasby (Penalty Corner)

Pukke: Marine Kock, Jocelle Deysel, Jessica de Bruyn Smith, Lindi Anker, Carli Pretorius, Lerato Mahlangu, Carli Rheeder, Dunelle van Taak, Anneke Beukman, Elmien Marais, Charne Maddocks,
Subs: Hope Nkosi, Miecke Flemming, Lori Hyde, Courtney du Preez, Kerrin Klaaste, Meeghan Klomp, Jamie Flowers.

Maties: Nicole Le Fleur, Lenta Cullinan, Simone Strydom, Heather Mc Ewan, Paige Phillips, Sandiswe Tabata, Tarryn Glasby, Natasha Rootenberg, Georgia Grobler, Page Alcock, Minke van Heerden
Subs: Stephanie Botha, Simone Strydom, Lida Kotze, Danielle Cairns, Aimee Pote, Polly Mashau, Alegra Dijkstra, Kirsten Block

Varsity Sports media release

Butali continue steady rise, Police march on


From left: Butali Sugar Warriors players Zack Aura, Rijsen Joost, Bernebus Odhiambo and Bran Musasia celebrate a goal during their Africa Cup of Club Championships match against Ghana Police at City Park Stadium on January 9, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Butali Sugar Warriors were this highest climbers after the weekend round of Kenya Hockey Union league matches. Butali saw off 2012 champions Sikh Union Nairobi 4-2 in their men’s Premier League encounter at the City Park Stadium on Sunday.

The result moved the two-time winners up to third in the standings with 12 points.

Goals from defender Saidi Okwemba, Zack Aura, Frank Wanangwe and Vincent Odhiambo fired the lakeside club to their fourth win of the season. Sikh replied through Shabaz Ali’s penalty stroke and Willis Otieno but it was not enough to help their side avoid their third loss of the season.

Butali coach Godfrey Wakachunga is eyeing more consistency from his side as they seek to move near the top.

“Two straight wins and we have improved especially after last weekend’s fortuitous win against Wazalendo. Playing more matches will help our fitness and allow us to make ground on the top teams,” the coach said.

Indeed, Butali are still a massive 12 points behind runaway leaders Kenya Police who are on a roll. Eight wins out of eight has seen the 2013 winners march to the top with 24 points. They managed a 4-0 win against Western Jaguars at the weekend.

Greensharks remain in second place, seven points behind having played eight matches. Wazalendo and Kenyatta University (KU) Vultures are in fourth and fifth places respectively with 10 and nine points respectively.

At the wrong end of the table, newcomers Technical University of Kenya continue to find the going tough after they suffered their seventh loss of the season. A 2-0 lodd to Kenya College of Accountancy of University (KCAU) left the bottom with a single point.

Parklands are a point above them in 14th place with Jaguars lying in 13th place with five points. In the women’s Premier League, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) are up to third in the log.

The students are one of the two unbeaten sides in the division so far after six round of matches. The Juja-based side are on 12 points after their 1-0 win over Vikings. According to JKUAT Sammy Oungu, their high position is due to their defensive shape.

“Last season we shipped in alloy of goals and that made us finish in a low position. They key to success is having a great defensive display,” he revealed. Champions Telkom Orange, who were not in action this weekend, lead the table with 18 points.

Strathmore University Scorpions maintain second place five points behind, after they rallied from behind to defeat Sliders 2-1. Amira Sailors and Sliders occupy fourth and fifth places.

Daily Nation

Punjab, Haryana win

Chandigarh and Haryana registered comfortable wins, while Punjab fought to their third victory in the pool stage in the boys’ sub-junior hockey National Championship in Bengaluru today.

Chandigarh beat Hockey Patiala 4-1 in a Pool C match. Sanjay (46th minute) and Sahibjeet Singh (48th) put Chandigarh ahead, before Maninder Singh (66th) and Vishal Rana (70th) finished off the contest.

In another Pool C match, Punjab edged out Bhopal 3-2. Punjab captain Raman Kumar’s 17th-minute strike was cancelled out by Amaan Khan’s goal in the 32nd minute. Parteek Sharma restored Punjab’s lead in the 52nd minute, but six minutes later, Hockey Bhopal were level again. In the 61st minute, Jaspreet Singh scored the goal that gave Punjab a crucial victory.

In Pool B, Haryana beat Bihar 3-1. Pankaj (41st, 58th) and Vinit (66th) pumped in the goals for Haryana.

The Tribune

A hockey camp without any fees!

It’s a revelation that former India hockey player V. Raja has been running a well-regarded academy and conducting camps for youngsters for the past four years without charging any fees.

At a function to mark the completion of four years of V. Raja Hockey Academy’s camp here on Monday, parents spoke warmly about how much their children had learnt. “More than the basics and nuances of the sport, they have learnt to enjoy the game and be disciplined,” said one.

Raja, who played for India in the 2005 Champions Trophy, has bigger dreams.

“For a while, there has been no player from the State who has donned India colours. I am sure players from my academy will represent the country one day.”

Running the camp and sponsoring the kids for tournaments has been a herculean task, but Raja is soldering on.

“A majority of the funding comes from me. I am hopeful of ARS Steel coming forward to sponsor us. If not, it will be difficult. But I am determined to continue my work,” said the 31-year-old. “I want to impart my knowledge while I am still playing. That way, the kids will be able to better understand what I teach.”

The Hindu

East region claims victory in Scottish Notts Sport U14 Boys’ Inter District

East region were the victors on Saturday as they claimed the Notts Sport U14 Boys’ Inter District in the rain at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre. It was a tremendous day of hockey with fantastic performances throughout the day coming from each of the regions.

Midland v East

After a cagey opening 3 or 4 minutes with Midland having the bulk of possession it was East that made the breakthrough. After a run through the middle of the Midland defence the ball was laid off to Charlie Jack who found himself un-marked with the ball and his back to the keeper. After a quick turn he calmly slotted the ball in to the bottom left corner right on the five minute mark.

After this East really took control of the game and were only prevented from going further ahead by some excellent goalkeeping from Mathew Joss. He blocked the initial long shot from a penalty corner and then got down quickly to block the close range rebound.

Will Stark would eventually make it 2-0 managing to get a significant deflection on a long range shot from the edge of the D

Two minutes into the second half East were 3-0 up after a sublime second goal from Charlie Jack. A long run in from the left hand side forced the keep out to narrow the already tight angle. But Jack produced a fantastic lob into the top right corner.

A fourth goal came in the form of Peter Caughey after his shot from almost right on the penalty spot found the bottom left corner leaving the keeper no chance.

Almost immediately the fifth goal was scored in almost the exact same fashion, this time Brodie Nichol got himself on the score sheet.

Will Stark had his second and Easts sixth two minutes later after a goalmouth scramble saw him bundle the ball into the back board.

Overall, it was a commanding performance by East, which made them look like the team to beat. A valiant effort by Midland to keep fighting right till the end.

Highland v North

It was quite a slow studied start to this game as both teams tried to gain a foothold in the middle of the pitch. However the deadlock was broken in the 13th minute by Highland number 5 Alistair Douglas. A penalty corner from the left came in and was smashed home by Douglas into the bottom corner.

The second half opened up a little as North chased an equaliser. However Highland found a second goal after good play by Alistair Douglas again following a penalty corner. After the initial block the Kingussie High School player turned with the ball on the left of the D and fired home from close range.

North were very unlucky not to get a goal back after a penalty corner that looked like it was going in was brilliantly saved by Calum Douglas in the Highland goal.

The score would remain 2-0 to Highland right until the final hooter.

West v Midland

What started out as a slow first half turned into a frantic last few minutes after Midlands Kai Mitchell tapped in at the back post after a cross from the left side.

Once that goal went in the game opened up and it was very quickly 2-0 to Midland after Andrew Clark latched on to a through ball in behind the defence, and smashed past the advancing goalkeeper for Midland’s second just before half time.

The second half started fairly steadily with Midland doing all they could to stifle the West attack. West thought they had scored from a penalty corner but Mathew Joss saved well high to his right.

A West goal did eventually come in the form of Euan Menzies. A penalty corner was played in and Menzies carried it to the penalty spot before smashing it low and left.

Menzies had his 2nd not 50 seconds later after a long run into the D saw him on the penalty spot again to equalise for west.

Midland were resilient and managed to win it at the death. Samuel Knight scored in the last 30 seconds to win it after a scramble in the West D. A cruel way to finish the game considering the massive west fight back but Midland certainly earned the win.

At full time it finished West 2-3 Midland.

East v Highland

A frantic first half saw East take four goals with Charlie Jack getting three in four minutes. East were ahead in the 3rd minute through Magnus Harkness’ deflected shot. Harkness was also unlucky not to have a second as his shot from a penalty corner smashed against the cross bar.

Following the first goal East piled on the pressure and quickly found another. With Charlie Jack scoring what was to be the first of five goals during the game by slotting home at the back post after a pinpoint pass from the right.

The onslaught continued and by half time it was 4-0.

The second half saw no end to East’s dominance with Charlie Jack scoring three goals in five minutes. Daniel Pearson, Brodie Nichol, Peter Caughey and Jamie Croll adding to the rout to end the game at East 11-0 Highland.

North v West

After a slow, cautious opening period with neither side really creating a clear cut chance, West took the lead through Euan Menzies. Receiving the ball on the right of the D Menzies still had plenty to do while under lots of pressure from the defence but managed to find the bottom corner to score.

It was three minutes later when Menzies added his second of the game after picking up a loose ball in the D and firing home from very close range. It would stay 2-0 to West until half time.

The second half began with it appearing North far more organised and more efficient at the back. But the relentless pressure from West eventually found a gap. Jamie Green ran into the D from the right before smacking the ball in the back board to make it 3-0 West.

The pressure kept coming as Ian King smashed a distance shot from right at the edge of the D finding the right of the goal leaving the North keeper with no chance.

Within a minute Euan Menzies completed his hat trick with an angled shot from the far side of the D to round off the scoring. Credit must be given to North as they held West for long periods of the match.

At full time it finished North 0-5 West.

Midland v Highland

This was a game that proved to be one of the most dramatic ties of the day. Early on Midland’s Fin Donnelly saw his penalty flick saved and then Alex Clark had his powerful shot saved.

Although Midland would break the deadlock in the 8th minute through Johnny Morris’ sweeping shot from the edge of the D.

Archie Stephen made it 2-0 two minutes later after a shot following a scramble from a penalty corner.

Upon the start of the second half the rain came in spectacular fashion. But both sets of players played on. Midland was rewarded with a third and fourth in quick succession. First Alex Clark swept home a penalty corner on 18 minutes and then Samuel Knight made it 4-0

At this point the heavens opened and the game was halted. After a 30 minute delay in proceedings Midland and Highland managed to complete the last six minutes of the game with no real chances.

North v East

This game saw another high-scoring encounter as East put nine past North.

David McCrea was on hand to coolly finish after the ball was cut back across the face of the goal for him on four minutes.

MaCrae was on the scoresheet six minutes later after North Keeper, Oliver Serle, had pushed away a long range effort. However this clearance was straight to MaCrae who needed no invitation to score this opportunistic goal.

The onslaught continued with Charlie Jack adding a third, Brodie Nichol adding a fourth, and Charlie Jack grabbing his second and Easts’ fifth right on the stroke of half time.

The second half saw East add more to their tally with Jack Tweddle scoring East’s sixth after a route one run down the middle and scoring past Serle, who had already made a string of good saves but just couldn’t stop the relentless barrage of shots coming his way.

But before the game would end Brodie Nichol, and Peter Caughey would add another three goals to make it finish North 0-9 East.

West v Highland

West grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck with three goals in the first in the first nine minutes; Cameron Moran with two and Euan Menzies with the other.

Sandy Craig added a fourth with a stylish run and calm shot passed the keeper from the right side of the D.

Another two goals would come before half time to make it 6-0 to West - Mathew Craig and Ian King scoring respectively.

In the second half West, seemed to take their foot off the gas but still remaining in total control. But two more goals were added both by Ben Galloway to round off the scoring at 8-0 to West.

North v Midland

This encounter was a very close game with North’s Oliver Serle performing outstanding, stopping well from several close range efforts.

The midfield seemed to be the main battleground here as both teams tried to establish a passing game in order to probe the defence for a gap, but neither team could find that gap before the break. 0-0 at half time.

The second half continued in much the same fashion except possibly Midland starting to edge the possession, but Serle was still performing solidly between the posts for North.

The breakthrough did eventually come for Midland when Fergus Rice received the pass out wide from a penalty corner which he thundered into the bottom right corner.

This opened the game up a lot as North ventured forward in search of an equaliser but could not graft a clear cut chance.

The game was all but ended in the 29th minute when Harry Shanahan was waiting at the back post to put away a pass across the face of the goal for Midland’s second.

The final score was North 0-2 Midland.

West v East

In the hotly anticipated final game of the day East wrapped up the title with a win over West.

The game could not have got off to a better start for them with Charlie Jack scoring twice in the first five minutes - both from penalty corners. It would stay that way till half time.

Jack would have his hat trick on 18 minutes after a great run down the left and a neat finish low to the keeper’s left.

After this, West pushed forward frantically looking to get back in the game but were twice caught on the break as East scored another two. Mathew Hughson with one and Charlie Jack getting his 4th of the game. The final score was West 0-5 East.

Overall, a commanding victory for East in the Notts Sport U14 Boys Inter District. A strong group of players were just too good for any opposition - reflected by the fact that they didn’t concede a goal all day.

Photos by Mark Pugh

Scottish Hockey Union media release

FIH Hockey Academy confirms partnership with Notts Sport

The International Hockey Federation (FIH) is pleased to confirm Notts Sport as an official FIH Hockey Academy Partner, which will see them provide vital investment, educational support and expertise for hockey.

As one of the leading specialists in the design, advice and supply of synthetic surfacing systems for sport, play and leisure, the two-tier partnership will see Notts Sport provide additional funding to support the delivery of various FIH Hockey Academy courses across the world.

With over 33 years’ experience and heritage in providing high quality artificial turf solutions for hockey, cricket, rugby and football as well as children’s play and multi-use games areas, they are committed to providing effective and innovative design solutions. As such, their experience will be used during FIH Hockey Academy Management courses, where they will provide educational resources and expert advice to attendees.

In addition to this, Notts Sport will also support the implementation of the FIH Quality Programme for Hockey Turf in all activity they undertake in their market, whilst both parties will regularly consult on facilities developments and innovations.

In return, as a Hockey Academy Partner, FIH will actively support Notts Sport through the hockey community, providing them with marketing and networking opportunities that are designed to actively create new business.

The partnership represents a further step for the FIH Hockey Academy who last year signed up their first official partner – Coach Logic, which has already provided a number of benefits to their courses and hockey organisations across the world.

The establishment of the relationship with Notts Sport was built around the Hockey Revolution, FIH’s 10-year strategy. Major initiatives aimed at increasing professionalism across all levels of the sport and securing commercial partners who share the strategy’s vision were key factors in agreeing this relationship.

Speaking about this latest commercial agreement, FIH Director of Sport and Development, David Luckes, said: “This partnership marks another important step for hockey’s development as we make strides towards professionalising the sport across all levels. Notts Sport's investment in the Academy will allow us to deliver exceptional programmes across the world. Their experience will be of huge benefit to course attendees and our Facilities Department as we look to further develop the quality and standards of our playing environments as the sport continues to grow.”

Notts Sport Managing Director Duncan Bennett added: “Notts Sport is excited in committing to supporting FIH in the development and promotion of hockey through this fantastic new partnership. We are delighted to become a part of the FIH family and believe that our commitment to innovation and quality in a fast changing and ever evolving sport is a perfect synergy with the FIH and the Hockey Revolution. As a result we aim to bring the benefits we have demonstrated for a number of years in the UK to hockey at all levels across the world.”

The two-year agreement begins immediately, with the FIH Hockey Academy Management Course in Ipoh, Malaysia in April, the first opportunity that both parties worked together in an educational environment.

For more information about the FIH Hockey Academy, click here.


FIH site

Happy 80th Birthday ‘Mr Wanderers’ Jim Shepherd

Jim Shepherd

Scottish Hockey would like to wish Jim Shepherd a very happy 80th birthday and thank him for his incredible contribution to hockey over the years.

Jim, known to some as “Mr Wanderers”, joined Dundee Wanderers back in 1958 but his first ‘taste’ of hockey was actually at the 1954 Boys Brigade International Founder’s Camp at Eton in 1954. Jim was one of the boys who put their hand up for the opportunity to play some matches and try out hockey for the first time.

In 1958 Jim worked in the Bonar Long Drawing Office, which he says was a ‘hotbed of hockey’ and it was there that Jim’s passion for the sport began. After one very basic instruction session, Jim played his first game at HMS Condor – the story goes that nobody has any idea what the score was, but for Jim the rest is history.

In the early sixties Jim took over the reins at Dundee Wanderers and was secretary, treasurer, and match secretary of the club.

Jim has also had various jobs both with Scottish Hockey and Midland District over the years and worked tirelessly for the sport. He’s also well known for being hockey correspondent for the Dundee newspapers. Very few people have committed the amount of time to hockey, in all capacities, as Jim has done.

Happy 80th birthday from all at Scottish Hockey, and thank you for all you’ve done for the sport over the years.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author