Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 15 May 2017

All the news for Monday 15 May 2017

Kampong eliminate Bloemendaal from Dutch playoffs

Having scraped into the Hoofdklasse playoffs, SV Kampong eliminated Bloemendaal to reach the playoffs final and, with it, earn a ticket back to the EHL for next season with a 2-0 win.

Bjorn Kellerman’s 38th minute cracker was added to by Robbert Kemperman’ s last-ditch goal to see them win their second game of the weekend, coming back from a loss at home on Wednesday in the first of their three-match series.

For Kemperman, he said afterwards: “The fighting spirit was incredible. We have an incredible amount of confidence in each other. Our mindset is tough and we were able to defend their good attacks.

“We have a lot of quality up front and do not need many chances. We have shown that again today and we are ridiculously good shape!"

For Bloemendaal’s Wouter Jolie, it was a low-key end to his club career, saying: “The teams in the playoffs are so close that it is all in the details.

“On Saturday and today, those details were just on the side of Kampong. We played a great season and I am confident that this team will play in many finals in the coming years."

For Kampong, they will meet Rotterdam on Wednesday in the first final of a potential best of three series.

"That will be a beautiful game, I am looking forward to it," said Kemperman. "We know it will be tough but we are ready. This great blue fighting machine is good enough to be champions."

Euro Hockey League media release

Mister Rotterdam hails team ethic as club back in the EHL

Rotterdam will return to the Euro Hockey League for the first time since the 2013-14 campaign on a special day for the city’s sports teams.

The hockey club beat AH&BC Amsterdam in their decisive third playoff game on the same day Dirk Kuyt sealed the Eredivisie for Feyenoord on the football front ahead of Ajax.

As always, Jeroen Hertzberger was a pivotal player with a goal and an assist and he said afterwards: "This is what we wanted, to return to the top."

He set up Simon Egerton – one of the four British players in the Rotterdam panel – for a tip in for 1-0 in the 15th minute.

It remained that way for 40 minutes when former Rotterdam player Robert Tigges grabbed a clever equaliser.

Rotterdam bounced back with Hertzberger, the Hoofdklasse’s top scorer with 28 goals, dragging a penalty corner goalward which was upgraded to a penalty stroke which he converted for 2-1 with seven minutes left.

Moments later, Paul Melkert struck from a fine action from Dutch international Seve van Ass for 3-1 and while Mirco Pruyser got one back from a corner rebound, Rotterdam held on for the victory.

While many look to Hertzberger as “Mister Rotterdam”, he paid tribute to the team that has been built this season: “I am very happy but it's not about me. This collective is so strong. That's what I told those guys last night, "Hertzberger said after the game.

"I said in the team Whatsapp group that was a downer that we had lost Saturday but it is an illusion to think that we can play six good halves of hockey in three games. That will not happen.

“I told them everyone had to make its own contribution to the team and we had to survive the difficult moments. Our strength is the team."

For Amsterdam, it also provided an abrupt end to their season with no third place playoff on the table due to Bloemendaal’s loss to Kampong in their final playoff game.

It means Bloemendaal – as regular season champions – and Kampong will be the other sides going to the EHL along with Rotterdam.

Euro Hockey League media release

Rot Weiss earn return ticket to EHL, topping German regular season table

Rot Weiss Köln secured top spot from the German regular league season and a return ticket to the Euro Hockey League thanks to a 5-3 win over nearest rivals Uhlenhorst Mülheim.

They had been surprised on Saturday by tenth placed Nuremburg 4-3 to delay their push for top spot but they bounced back to beat their nearest rivals to go seven points clear with one game to go in the competition.

"We are definitely glad that we have a guaranteed place and are in the EHL next year," said coach André Henning after the match. "This was a great performance today and a very different performance from yesterday!"

They got off to a great start, Christopher Zeller scoring in the third minute. Tom Grambusch added a pair of penalty corner goals for a 3-0 lead by the 17th minute.

Jan Fleckhaus made it 4-0 in the second half before Tobias Matania scored two and Timm Herzbruch was also on the mark, making it 4-3 with three minutes to go. Moritz Trompertz, though, made the game safe for Rot-Weiss in the final minute.

It assures them of top seeding in the German playoffs. Uhlenhorst Mülheim are also going to the playoffs where they will play against Mannheimer HC after they beat Club an der Alster's 4-0 and Harvestehuder THC 4-3 with Gonzalo Peillat scoring six goals.

Fourth place will be a battle between Harvestehuder and Crefelder HC. The former are on 37 points with the latter two points back. Both have tough away games on the agenda; HTHC go to Club an der Alster while Crefelder go to Rot-Weiss.

Euro Hockey League media release

Herakles become latest new club to qualify for EHL from Belgium

Herakles became the latest new club to qualify for the Euro Hockey League as they produced an incredible comeback to beat Racing Club de Bruxelles for the second time this week to reach the Belgian grand final.

The Lier-based club held a 5-3 lead going into the second leg of their semi-final but that advantage was wiped out almost immediately as Aldo Dalla Palma made it 1-0 in the third minute from a Tom Boon pass.

Simon Gougnard then completed an end-to-end move to make it 5-5 on aggregate with Racing enjoying all the momentum.

But Herakles produced something from nothing – continuing their high conversion rate in front of goal – as Alex Leclef grabbed their first opportunity of the match in the 26th minute.

It was the turning point and when the Rats were unable to score from a trio of corners around the 46 minute mark with Amaury Timmermans, the Herakles goalkeeper, showing his worth.

"In the first half, we were under a lot of pressure," said Timmermans afterwards to La Libre. "But we had the chance to score on our first corner. The rest of the game, we had to defend as we have been doing since the beginning of the season! We are the Leicester City of Belgian hockey!"

Indeed, Racing’s corner count went up to nine but they still could not beat Timmermans. On the counter, Cedric Struyf made Herakles’ position even stronger when he netted an equalising goal, making it 2-2 with two minutes to go.

Amaury Keusters then completed the famous win with a third goal into an unguarded net in the final minute for 3-2.

In the final, they will play KHC Dragons who beat the Waterloo Ducks 3-2 in much more straightforward fashion. They had won the first leg 2-0 and they were in a dominant position when they built a 3-0 lead in the second leg.

Alexander Hendrickx’s penalty corner in the 10th minute set them up and running. Henri Raes added the second goal early in the second half before Jeffrey Thys made it 3-0 with eight minutes to go, rendering the Ducks late goals merely academic.

The WatDucks will play Racing Club de Bruxelles for the third and final EHL place from Belgium in a playoff.

Euro Hockey League media release

Atlètic battle their way to Spanish Honor Division title

Atlètic Terrassa were crowned Spanish Honor Division champions as they beat both Real Club de Polo and Club Egara over the weekend to achieve ultimate glory for coach Dani Martin and his charges.

It was a quite a performance for Atlètic who finished the regular season in fourth place as they started the weekend with a dramatic 3-2 win over Polo on Saturday. Roc Oliva was the star man, opening the scoring and going on to net a hat trick with his third proving the winner in the 58th minute.

Egara, meanwhile, beat Club de Campo 3-2 with Pau Quemada scoring twice to give them a 2-0 lead by the 34th minute. Leandro Tolini pulled one back but Quemada completed his hat-trick in the 48th minute for 3-1. Matthew Cobbaert’s goal with three minutes to go came too late to affect the outcome.

It set up a derby-date in the final between two Terrassa-based clubs on Sunday in which Atlètic eventually prevailed. Santi Ibanez pounced on a rebound to make it 1-0 after 10 minutes of a lively encounter.

Things got even better for the Can Salas hosts when Marc Boltó turned in a cross from the right wingm making it 2-0 in the 19th minute.

From there, Marc Calzada kept out a couple of major chances, denying Quemada to keep the two-goal advantage as both sides had corner openings.

Egara, the reigning champions, kept battling and made the closing stages interesting when Quemada scored his fourth goal of the weekend. He would later be awarded the MVP for the final four tournament while Atlètic’s Joan Tarrés was named the most promising young star.

And the big prize went to Atlètic, much to the delight of their Corner Groc fans. It means they will join Polo – the regular season champions – in the EHL next season with Egara the third place finishers once more and likely to join them.

Euro Hockey League media release

Kenya Police rout sorry Jaguars


Willis Malesi of Western Jaguars (left) tries to tackle Vincent Odindo of Kenya Police during their Kenya Hockey Union men's Premier League match at City Park Stadium on May 14, 2017. Police won 4-0. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Kenya Police on Sunday continued with their impressive start to the season after an emphatic 4-0 win over Western Jaguars in a Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League match at the City Park Stadium, Nairobi.

A brace from Amos Barkibir set the 2013 champions on the path to another convincing win. Striker Calvins Kanu and Vincent Odindo were also on target as Police maintained their unbeaten start to the campaign.

It was the law enforcers’ eight straight win of the season moving them to 24 points, seven points clear of second-placed Greensharks in the log.

At the same venue, Strathmore University Scorpions rallied from a goal down to beat Sliders 2-1 in the women’s Premier League, while Kisumu Youngstars lost 2-1 Multimedia University in a second-tier men’s encounter.

Police stand-in coach Patrick Mugambi was left purring following the result but refused to declare his charges front runners for the title

“We are getting better with each game and the lads can take pride in their performance in today’s performance. It is still early in the season to say if we are title favourites but if we keep up like this, we definitely will be in the running,” an excited Mugambi said.

Ironically, Police scored all their goals from open play and were unable to make use of the set pieces, which have been their main source of goals so far this season.

Jaguars came into the match on the back of a 2-2 draw with Chase Sailors on Saturday evening. The Kakamega-based side needed a last minute goal from skipper Willis Malesi to rescue a point.

Against Police, Jaguars appeared to suffer from fatigue and Police, who were last in action on May 3, picked them out.

After a tight first quarter, Jaguars fell behind two minutes into the second quarter as Barkibir finished off a sweeping move. Police added the second goal at start of the third period.

Brian Saina won the ball in midfield before freeing Kanu who beat his marker before firing past Jaguars keeper Gilbert Okanga.

Barkibir added his second of the match minutes later to make it three for his team before Odindo got his name on the score sheet in the 43rd minute of the match.

In the Scorpions versus Sliders tie, June Kagongo gave Sliders the lead in the 17th minute with a brilliant field goal. Scorpions, who were without their top scorer Gilly Okumu for the third straight match, levelled through Denise Odongo.

The students then hit the winner in the 37th minute as Captain Yvonne Karanja sounded the board off Carol Njoki’s short corner.

Daily Nation

Police drub Jaguars to extend unbeaten streak

By Elizabeth Mburugu

Kenya Police fan with the Kenya Police flag during the finals between Kenya Police and Egyptian's Eastern in the men's Hockey Africa Championships finals held at the City Park stadium,Nairobi,Kenya. Photo/Jennifer Wachie

Former Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League champions Kenya Police yesterday extended their unbeaten run with a resounding 4-0 victory over Western Jaguars at City Park Stadium. Amos Barkibir bagged a brace while Calvins Kanu and Vincent Odindo netted once for the 2013 league winners.

The win saw the law enforcers make eight wins out of eight outings consolidating their lead at the summit of the table. Police stand-in coach Patrick Mugambi was delighted but remained adamant that his charges need to do more to increase their chances of reclaiming the title that has eluded them for the last three seasons.

“We are getting better with each game and today’s performance is one that we can take pride in. However, it is still early in the season to say we are title favourites but if we keep improving like this our chances will definitely increase,” Mugambi said.

After a tightly fought first quarter, Jaguars fell behind two minutes into the second quarter as Barkibir deflected the ball in to break the deadlock. Kanu made it two for Police at start of the third quarter Brian Saina won the ball in midfield before passing to Kanu who beat his marker before hitting past Jaguars goalkeeper Gilbert Okanga.

Barkibir added his second of the match minutes later to make it three for his team before Odindo got his name on the score sheet in the 43rd minute.

Jaguars came into the match on the back of a 2-2 draw with Chase Sailors on Saturday evening.

The Standard Online

UJ nab second victory, defeating Madibaz 6-2

By Raynique Meyer

Isabella Sa Rocha,from UJ runs with joy after they scored a goal. Photo Mario van de Wall/SASPA

UJ made use of their goal attempts in their encounter against the Madibaz to claim a victory of 6-2 on Sunday afternoon in Potchefstroom.

In the first minute of the game it was Carmen Smith from UJ with the opening goal of the match to put her team in an early 2-0 lead. Kirsten Paton followed in the footsteps of her teammate as she found the back of the goal box from a penalty corner to extend the lead to 3-0.

The second chukka also belonged to the ladies in orange as Jenevieve Taljaard joined the party in the circle to leave her side 5-0 up against the Madibaz.

UJ headed into halftime on 6-0 as Zeena Martin finished off in the circle from a penalty corner. In the third chukka it was Kirsty Tonks from the Madibaz who managed to put her side on the board for the first time to narrow down the gap to 6-2 but the Madibaz faced a defeat against UJ and the match would end that way with no goals in the final chukka.

FNB Player of the Match: Kirsten Paton (UJ)
Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Luzaan Potgieter (Madibaz)

UJ: 6
Goals: Carmen Smith (Field goal), Kirsten Paton (Penalty goal), Jenevieve Taljaard (Field goal), Zeena Martin (Penalty goal)

Madibaz: 2
Kirsty Tonks (Field goal)

UJ: Robyn Ormond, Isabella Da Rocha, Lanne Rossouw, Ashleigh Datnow, Kirsten Paton, Lisa Hawker, Zeena Martin, Alex Kavanagh, Kerry Trebble, Carmen Smith.
Subs: Yonela Dishi, Jenevieve Taljaard, Phia Gerber, Bernice Brink, Cheneal Raubenheimer, Erin Moody, Nadia Mattana.

Madibaz: Kerryn Frost, Lauren Nina, Taryn Koen, Sequeira Kiona van Niekerk, Caitlin Gouws, Aimee Polhmann, Simone Dolley, Kirsty Tonks, Carly Redcliffe, Luzaan Potgieter, Leigh Paulsen.
Subs: Kanyisa Gwata, Taylah Bird, Erin Sims, Jamie-Leigh Banks, Malikah Potgieter, Meri Janse van Rensburg, Cassandra Lister,

Varsity Sports media release

Tuks snatch 1-0 victory over resilient Wits

By Raynique Meyer

Sissy Pieterse from Wits comes on with the ball while Marissa Pohlman from Maties,tries to stop her. Photo Mario van de Wall/SASPA

It was in the final four minutes of the match that Chané Hill from Tuks snatched the match away from their opponents to clinch it with a final score of 1-0 in Potchefstroom.

In the Gauteng derby both teams were equal in the first and second chukka as they couldn’t manage to put any points on the scoreboard before halftime.

Tuks had more momentum over Wits in the third chukka as they had more field territory and attacking opportunities but did not put it to any good use.

In the last chukka both teams looked determined to put the first score on the board to avoid a penalty shootout. But it was Chané Hill from Tuks who managed to round off a short corner to win the match for her team, as Wits had to settle for a last-minute defeat.

FNB Player of the Match: Natalie Esteves (Tuks)
Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Petro Stofberg (Wits)

Tuks: 1
Goals: Chané Hill (Penalty Corner)

Wits: 0

Tuks: Marlise van Tonder, Marissa Poolman, Chané Hill, Anél Luus, Catherine Morris, Izelle Verster, Natalie Esteves, Luvolwethu Nkole, Claire Gibbings, Amy Etherington, Thansokazi Chithi.
Subs: Melicia van Loggerenberg, Jénica Da Encarnaçăo, Meeghan Scheffer, Danielle Kerddachi, Amoné Mouton, Mabongi Nyalungu.

Wits: Lelethu Ndakisa, Gillian Robertson, Nicky Veto, Londeka Dlamini, Nompilo Thenjwayo, Nicole Smith, Amber Dry, Kelly Wrensch, Robyn Fyvie, Lezaan J van Vuuren, Tamsin Copeland.
Subs: Petro Stofberg, Jureya Dildar, Nolwazi Ngubane, Sissy Pieterse, Ashleigh Readhead, Mandisa Sigudla, Vicky Jonker

Varsity Sports media release

Maties cruise past UKZN with 13-2 demolition

By Wouter Pienaar

Aime Pote shoots Maties's first goal. Photo Mario van de Wall/SASPA

A determined Maties side did everything in their power to win big against UKZN and even with a 13-2 demolition, it still was not enough to go to top spot on the Varsity Hockey log in Potchefstroom on Sunday night.

Maties were odds-on favourites to get a big score against UKZN at the NWU-Puk Astro turf and needed to win by 21 goals or more in order to topple Tuks from top spot on the log.

They got off to the perfect start when Aimee Pote scored with a field goal to give Maties a 2-0 lead after four minutes. Page Alcock and Minke van Heerden were also constant menaces in attack for Maties against a scrambling UKZN defence.

Danielle Cairns scores the second goal for Maties after 13 minutes to give her side a 4-0 lead as the end of the first chukka neared. There was still time for two more goals as Tarryn Glasby scored with two vicious drives from penalty corners to move the score to 6-0 after the first chukka.

Maties were on a goal-scoring frenzy and scored goal number eight courtesy of Minke van Heerden in the 17th minute of the match. Pote then got her second goal with a push into the net to take Maties into cloud nine with a 9-0 advantage at the half-time break.

The ladies from Stellenbosch kept up the pace in the second half and did everything in their power to bang in the goals. UKZN though defended gallantly and managed to keep Maties scoreless in the third chukka.

Maties knew that they needed to score goals in the final chukka and called the Powerplay directly at the start. Paige Phillips scored in the Powerplay to give Maties hope with an 11-0 lead, needing 11 more goals to topple Tuks at the top of the log.

Heather McEwan lead by example with a fine drive from the edge of the shooting circle to make it 13-0 with nine minutes to go.

UKZN though had the last bit of joy of the night as Nolwazi Mkize scored with a flick from a penalty corner in the power play to reduce the deficit to 13-2.

Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Sinethemba Zungu (UKZN)
FNB Player of the Match: Tarryn Glasby (Maties)


Maties: 13
Goals: Aimee Pote (Field Goal, Penalty Corner), Danielle Cairns (Field Goal), Tarryn Glasby (Penalty Corner x2), Minke van Heerden (Penalty Corner), Paige Phillips (Penalty Corner), Heather McEwan (Field Goal)

Goals: Nolwazi Mkize (Penalty Corner)

Maties: Nicole Le Fleur, Lenta Cullinan, Simone Strydom, Heather Mc Ewan, Paige Phillips, Sandiswe Tabata, Tarryn Glasby, Natasha Rootenberg, Georgia Grobler, Page Alcock, Minke van Heerden
Subs: Stephanie Botha, Simone Strydom, Lida Kotze, Danielle Cairns, Aimee Pote, Polly Mashau, Alegra Dijkstra, Kirsten Block

UKZN: Manele Noxolo, Janine Ndlovu, Jamie Chisholm, Sinethemba Zungu, Chardinay Penniston, Nolwazi Mkize, Chiree Coetzee, Anessa Patel , Nqobile Shange, Vanessa Atkinson, Tanner van den Bergh.
Subs: Nonqaba Bengu, Zafika Yengo, Megan Hargreaves, Nonthando Mlambo, Thandazile Mnguni, Tiffany Jones, Robin Ashton

Varsity Sports media release

Pukke beat Kovsies with authority in front of partisan crowd

By Wouter Pienaar

Lori Hyde from Pukke,plays a ball, but Antonet Louw Mare gets hold of it. Photo Mario van de Wall/SASPA

NWU-Pukke got the bragging rights over their traditional intervarsity rivals, Kovsies, with an 11-4 Varsity Hockey win at the NWU-Puk Astro turf on Sunday night.

Everything was up for grabs between these two rivals as Kovsies needed to win to have any chance of making the semi-finals while Pukke needed to win in order to avoid playing Tuks in the semi’s on Monday.

Pukke drew first blood with a goal in the ninth minute through Anneke Beukman’s drive from a penalty corner to give her side 1-0 lead in front of a jubilant support base.

Pukke kept piling on the pressure and their persistence paid off as Lori Hyde scored Pukke’s second to take the score to 3-0.

Kovsies, though, could not be underestimated as Janke Kotze and Este van Schalkwyk came close on a few occasions. Pukke’s Marine Kock pulled off two brilliant saves from a penalty corner to keep the ladies in red scoreless after the first chukka.

Kovsies struck back with a piece of individual brilliance from Jean-Casey Botha who hit flicked past Kock from close distance with a back stick effort, to make it 3-2.

The scores stayed the same at half-time as both sides were still in the running to make it to the semi-finals.

Pukke made a better start to the second half with a beautifully executed goal from the right hand side through Courtney du Preez’s stinging shot that gave Alri Vorster no chance, to make it 5-2 in Pukke’s favour.

Soon afterwards Pukke found themselves in the driver’s seat when Hyde bagged her brace with a powerful hit from 16 metres out.

Pukke showed why they are the favourites as they started to boss play in the final 15 minutes, giving Kovsies little chance to mount a comeback.

Kovsies, though, had one last bit of hope in their hearts when they scored in the Powerplay to reduce the deficit to three goals with the score at 7-4.

But Pukke came straight back as Courtney du Preez stretched in front of goal for a tap-in to make it 9-4. Beukman also got her double with a quick shot from just inside the shooting circle to put her side into double figures at 11-4.

This is how the score remained when the final whistle blew as Pukke now face Maties in the semi-finals at 18:45 on Monday. Tuks face Wits in the other semi-final starting at 17:00.

Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Marine Kock (NWU-Pukke)
FNB Player of the Match: Courtney du Preez (NWU-Pukke)


Pukke: 11
Goals: Anneke Beukman (Penalty Corner, Field Goal), Lori Hyde (Field Goal x2), Courtney du Preez (Field Goal x2)

Kovsies: 4
Goals: Jean-Casey Botha (Field Goal) Nicole Kruger (Penalty Corner)

Pukke: Marine Kock, Jocelle Deysel, Jessica de Bruyn Smith, Lindi Anker, Carli Pretorius, Lerato Mahlangu, Carli Rheeder, Dunelle van Taak, Anneke Beukman, Elmien Marais, Charne Maddocks,
Subs: Hope Nkosi, Miecke Flemming, Lori Hyde, Courtney du Preez, Kerrin Klaaste, Meeghan Klomp, Jamie Flowers.

Kovsies: Alri Vorster, Chane Hartel, Lisa Alberts , Antonet Louw, Shindre-Lee Simmons, Pricilla Esterhuyze, Casey-Jean Botha, Este van Schalkwyk, Janke Kotze, S’Thabile Motsa
Subs:, Jessica Elizabeth Charles, Nadia van Staden, Candice Calder, Lezanne Vermaak, Shanay Solomon, Nisa van Zyl, Heraldine Olin, Nicole Kruger

Varsity Sports media release

Haryana eves lose to MPHA in final, Punjab finish fourth

Captain Raman Kumar scored a hat-trick, while Parteek Sharma scored a brace as Punjab beat Maharashtra 8-1 in the boy’s sub-junior Division A event in Bengaluru

Haryana let a goal’s advantage slip before conceding a late goal to lose to Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy in the final of the women’s junior hockey National Championship (Division A) in Bhopal today.

Ritu opened the scoring for Haryana in the 17th minute and were the dominant side in the first half.

In the second half though, MPHA picked up their game. In the 39th minute, Neela Dadiya scored the equaliser with a penalty stroke. And seven minutes from time, with the threat of a shootout looming, Neeraj Rana scored the winner for the hosts.

Punjab lose to Jharkhand

Punjab finished fourth after losing to Jharkhand. After a good start, Punjab faltered and went down tamely 4-1.

Punjab scored in the fourth minute through Gurkamalpreet Kaur. Jharkhand replied with two quick goals (11th and 13th minutes) by Sangita Kumari. Sangita completed her hat-trick in the 32nd minute to end the contest. She added her fourth in the 55th minute to ensure Jharkhand took the bronze medal.

Big win for Punjab boys

Meanwhile, in the boys’ sub-junior Division A event in Bengaluru, Punjab trounced Maharashtra 8-1. A hat-trick from captain Raman Kumar (54th, 64th, 67th) and a brace from Parteek Sharma (19th, 24th) marked an outstanding performance by Punjab, solidifying their position in the table.

Uttar Pradesh beat Haryana 1-0, with Akhtar Ali scoring the winner in the 42nd minute.

Hockey Gangpur-Odisha dished out a similar performance to outclass Andhra Pradesh 8-1. Odisha and Sports Authority of India played out a 1-1 draw. Hosts Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy also played out a 1-1 draw.

The Tribune

Its Pahang v SSTMI for TNB Cup

By Jugjet Singh

PAHANG (MSP) Thunderbolts will play Tunku Mahkota Ismail Sports School (SSTMI) Thunderbolts in the Division One TNB Cup final on Sunday at the Tun Razak Stadium.

Yesterday in the semi-finals, MSP Thunderbolts were held to a 3-3 draw by Anderson Thunderbolts before winning the shoot-out 4-2.

In the second semi-finals SSTMI beat Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) Thunderbolts 3-0 with goals from Ariff Syafie (13th, 53rd) and Shello Silverius (49th).

Pahang led 3-1 with a brace from Noor Firdaus (5th, 32nd minutes) and Idris Samad’s sixth minute penalty corner conversion before defensive blunders allowed and disciplined Anderson’s forwards to move in, the third and fourth quarters.

Anderson, who showed League champions Petaling Jaya City Council Tigers the exit in last week’s quarter-finals, replied through Aliff Ikhemal (30th) and Akram Hakkam (38th, 51st minutes) to force the match into shootout.

Pahang coach Sufian Mohamed said they have achieved their blueprint target since setting up the academy in 2014.

"The bluprint for the academy in Pahang was to win our first JHL title this year and we are just one step away from achieving it. We have played SSTMI in the League and are familiar with them and have one week to get ready for the big day next Sunday," said Sufian.

As for Anderson, coach Nizam Hashim said his players paid the price for their first quarter folly.

"My players took it easy in the first quarter and paid the price. We were reduced to playing catching up for the remaining period," said Nizam.

RESULTS -- Men's semi-finals: Anderson Thunderbolts 3 MSP Thunderbolts 3 (MSP win shoot-out 4-2), BJSS Thunderbolts 0 SSTMI Thunderbolts 3.

Women's semi-finals: SSTMI 4 MSN Kedah 2, USM 1 KLSS-Wipers 3.

Men's Final: May 21 -- MSP Thunderbolts v SSTMI Thunderbolts (Tun Razak, 8.35pm).

Women's Final: KLSS-Wipers v SSTMI (Tun Razak, 6pm).

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Pahang Hockey Academy to face SSTMI in final

by Aftar Singh

That’s mine: AHP-MSP-Thunderbolt’s Syamil Azim Dzulkafly (left) vying for the ball with Anderson Thunderbolt’s Danial Aizat Ahmad Zubir in the MJHL semi-final match at the Tun Razak Stadium yesterday. — MUHAMAD SHAHRIL ROSLI/The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Pahang Hockey Academy (AHP)-MSP-Thunderbolt will face Tunku Mahkota Ismail Sports School (SSTMI) Thunderbolt in the May 21 final of the Malaysian Junior Hockey League (MJHL).

Yesterday, Pahang Hockey Academy edged Anderson Thunderbolt 4-2 in a penalty shootout after both teams failed to break the 3-3 deadlock in regulation time at the Tun Razak Stadium.

In the other semi-final, SSTMI of Johor strolled to a 3-0 win over defending overall champions Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) Thunderbolt.

Muhd Ariff Syafie Ishak was SSTMI’s hero, scoring a penalty corner in the 13th minute and then added another goal in the 53rd minute. In between, Shello Silverius was on target in the 49th minute.

Pahang Hockey Academy seemed to cruising to victory after taking a 2-0 lead in only six minutes. Muhammad Noor Firdaus was on a target in the fifth minute and Muhammad Idris Samad added the second off a penalty corner in the sixth minute.

Anderson, who stunned league champions Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) 3-2 in the quarter-finals, managed to narrow the deficit with a field goal by Muhammad Aliff Ikhemal in the 30th minute.

But Pahang Hockey Academy stretched their lead to 3-1 two minutes later through Muhammad Noor.

Credit to Anderson as they never gave up. They came back strongly in the last 22 minutes with Muhammad Akram Hakkam scoring in the 38th and 51st minutes to make it 3-3.

Syamil Azim Dzulkafly, Muhammad Izham Azhar, Muhammad Hazzim Amin Hafidz and Muhammad Noor were successful in their attempts in the penalty shootout for Pahang Hockey Academy. Anderson only managed to score through Muhammad Akram Hakkam and Muhammad Nur Syahmi.

Said Pahang Hockey Academy coach Mohd Sufian Mohamed: “We started our hockey academy in 2014 with the hope of reaching the final. We’re happy to achieve the target.

“But I must admit that we were lucky to beat Anderson in the shootout.”

Anderson assistant coach Mohd Nizam Mohd Hashim was disconsolate by the loss.

“It’s really frustrating to lose to Pahang Hockey Academy again in the knockout stage. We lost to them in a shootout in last year’s playoff for third placing. This time, we lost in a shootout in the semi-finals,” lamented Nizam.

The Star of Malaysia

Glory for Guildford in Under 14s Club Championships

Guildford champs

Goals were at a premium in the early rounds of Pool A with no game finishing with a greater goal margin than 1. Going into the final round of group matches, Spencer and Guildford were tied at the top, but any one of the four teams could progress to the final. With both final matches ending in goalless draws two penalty stroke competitions were needed to decide the final positions. Guilford progressed to the final, while Reading edged out Beeston for third place.

Things were a little more straight forwarded in Pool B, where Repton and Surbiton were fighting it out for first place. Both teams threw everything into attack knowing that the final standings could come down to goal difference. In the end it was Surbiton who came out on top, and progressed to the final, while newly formed Repton Hockey Club went on to contest third place.

Beeston and Isca played out a goalless draw and finish the competition as equal 7th.  Another goalless draw saw Reading and Marlow share 5th spot. Repton defeated Spencer 2-0 to take third place, while in the final Guildford withstood an enormous amount of Surbiton pressure, including a final second penalty corner, to take the game to another penalty stroke competition. A combination of excellent goalkeeping and well taken strokes saw Guildford finish the day as winners.

England Hockey Board Media release

FIH and Indian Government outline positive outlook for hockey

(L-R): Hockey India CEO Elena Norman; FIH CEO Jason McCracken; India's Minister of Finance, Mr Arun Jaitley; FIH President Dr Narinder Dhruv Batra. Photo: FIH

During a visit to India this week, FIH President Dr Narinder Dhruv Batra and CEO Jason McCracken met with the Indian Government and Hockey India to discuss the development of the sport in the country.

Meeting with India's Minister of Finance, Mr Arun Jaitley, the Government shared their plans to support the game from grassroots to international level through Hockey India.

One of the key topics of discussion was support for upcoming FIH events in India, including the Men's Odisha Hockey World League Final 2017 taking place in December and the Men's Odisha Hockey World Cup 2018 next November/December, both taking place in the city of Bhubaneswar.

Investment in hockey facilities was high on the agenda, with venues and training centres crucial to growing the sport at all levels. It was also an opportunity to showcase India's drive to enhance gender parity across the sport in-line with hockey's reputation of being 'Equally Amazing'. India's development now sees proportionate investment in the men's and women's game, both in their domestic and international programmes.

Speaking about these meetings, FIH President Dr Narinder Dhruv Batra said: "Our discussions with the Indian Government and Hockey India were extremely constructive. Whilst hockey remains one of the most popular sports in the country, it is important to continue building on the solid foundations they have established in terms of their development programmes and infrastructure."

He continued: "Their commitment to deliver world class events for FIH over the coming years is very encouraging, whilst it's also refreshing to see their investment plans for the women's and men's game. Such support aligns with our 10-year Hockey Revolution strategy which aims to make hockey a global game that inspires the next generation."

For more information about hockey in India, click here.

FIH site

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author