Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 27 February 2017

All the news for Monday 27 February 2017

England women win second match

England won the final match of the second Cape Town Summer Series by 3-0 against South Africa. Both matches were played at the Hartleyvale stadium in Cape Town.

The halftime score was 1-0 for England. In the 10th minute Lily Owsley scored the only goal of the first 30 minutes of the match.

In the first chukka most of the playing was done by England, but the home team got back in the game in the second quarter. Once again the SA keeper Phumelela Mbande made some brilliant saves and she was well supported by captain Nicolene Terblanche and Bernadette Coston.

In the first minute of the second half England got the second goal of the match. Jo Hunter hit the back of the goal-box to give England a 2-0 lead. Besides the two chances South African had in the third quarter most of the play was made by England again. The home team almost scored when Sulette Damons had only the goalkeeper to beat, but in the final moment she badly injured her already heavily strapped upper-leg and knee.

With the start of the final chukka England got one penalty corner after another and finally Erica Sanders scored against a battered SA defence. The South Africans lacked just that finishing touch the few times they got into the goal circle.

England won the first match on Saturday 4-2.

Now that the women have played their part in the second Summer Series it is the turn of the men. The South African men’s side will play its first match on Thursday against England. The match starts at 18:00. All matches are played at Hartleyvale. Germany is the other team that will be in action during the second Summer Series.

Schedule for rest of the second Summer Series: Saturday, 4 March @ 16:00 – England v Germany; Sunday, 5 March @ 16:00 – South Africa v Germany; Monday, 6 March @ 18:00 – South Africa v England; Wednesday, 8 March @ 18:00 England v Germany; Thursday, 9 March @ 18:00 – South Africa v Germany.

SA Hockey Association media release

Second win in two days for England women

England vs South Africa

England earned a second international win in the space of two days with a 3-0 victory over South Africa.

Having handed debuts to eight players on Saturday, Danny Kerry gave three players their international bows, with Ellie Rayer, Livy Paige and Kathryn Lane pulling on England shirts for the very first time.

Lily Owsley - a relative veteran of the programme despite being just 22 - opened the scoring and it was 1-0 at half time.

Into the second half and Jo Hunter made it 2-0, before Erica Sanders made it three in the final quarter.

Coach Kerry said, "We've been exploring a great deal of areas on this trip and despite that we have been solid and penetrative in our play.

"There is still an enormous amount of work to be done before the summer but the team is tight, talented and eager to learn.

"It's a really exciting time for the squad and we have covered good and new ground already."

Players used: Sabbie Heesh (GK), Amy Tennant (GK), Giselle Ansley, Grace Balsdon, Emily Defroand, Sarah Haycroft, Sabbie Heesh, Jo Hunter, Kathryn Lane, Hannah Martin, Shona McCallin, Lily Owsley, Livy Paige, Erica Sanders, Zoe Shipperley, Anna Toman, Susannah Townsend, Laura Unsworth, Hollie Webb

England Hockey Board Media release

Kalinga Lancers crowned the Champions of Coal India Hockey India League

Chandigarh, 26th February 2017: Moritz Fuerste led from the front as Kalinga Lancers ended Dabang Mumbai’s dreams of lifting the coveted trophy in their first-ever final appearance. Fuerste scored twice (30’ and 59’) while Glenn Turner struck their maiden goal in the 18th minute to help Kalinga Lancers win their first ever Coal India Hockey India League here in front of a packed Chandigarh Hockey stadium on Sunday.Table toppers Dabang Mumbai who have shown great consistency through the league were kept in the hunt right from the word go with Kalinga Lancers showcasing some class act to defend their circle. Though the first quarter ended in a stalemate, the Kalinga Lancers made quick progress in the second quarter when Aussie forward Glenn Turner, after a brilliant assist by skipper Moritz Fuerste, ensured a 2-0 lead in the 18th minute.Though Dabang Mumbai had an opportunity to score in the 18th minute when they won their first PC, thanks to Robbert Kemperman, Harmanpreet Singh’s fiercely struck flick went straight to keeper Andrew Charter who promptly padded it away. German stalwart who has shown incredible form, especially with his drag flicks, was inch-perfect yet again when he successfully converted a PC in the 30th minute to take Kalinga Lancers lead to a comfortable 3-0. This was his ninth successful PC this season, taking his personal tally to an impressive 11 goals in the tournament.

Dabang Mumbai made a strong comeback after the 10-minute half-time break as they won their second PC of the match in the 33rd minute. An interesting set-piece saw Harmanpreet, instead of taking the flick himself, feed the ball to the injector who cleverly deflected the it to Affan Yousuf in front of the post to convert a goal taking their deficit to 1-3.

The final quarter witnessed some intense hockey with Dabang Mumbai hoping to pull off their trademark style of winning matches – to score in the final moments. They even came close to scoring when Yousuf and Nikkin Thimmaiah worked in tandem to score a field goal. After two failed attempts, Kieran Govers scored to equalize with just three minutes to go for the final hooter. However, a video referral in favour of the Kalinga Lancers denied them the clincher as it was a dangerous ball inside the striking circle. Dabang Mumbai also won three back-to-back PCs in the 57th minute but failed to make it count.

The action didn’t end there as Kalinga Lancers earned a PC in the 59th minute and Moritz Fuerste ensured he sealed the match for Kalinga Lancers with a splendid drag-flick that beat David Harte like a bullet, making him the joint highest goal scorer of the tournament along with teammate Glenn Turner.

Earlier in the day, the Uttar Pradesh Wizards beat Delhi Waveriders 5-4 in a closely-fought encounter to take home the third-place award of Rs 75.00 Lakhs. Though Delhi Waveriders took an early lead in the 15th minute with Justin Reid-Ross scoring a field goal, Shamsher Singh (18’) equalized for Uttar Pradesh Wizards. But the real turn around for Roelant Oltmans’ men came in the final quarter when Agustin Mazzilli scored an incredible field goal to give the Uttar Pradesh Wizards the winning edge. Gonzalo Peillat’s 38th minute goal had reduced the deficit for Uttar Pradesh Wizards to 3-4 after Delhi Waveriders skipper Rupinder Pal Singh had struck twice (24’ and 36’) to convert PCs.

Awards for final: Kalinga Lancers beat Dabang Mumbai 4-1

Affan Yousuf of Dabang Mumbai was awarded with a prize money of Rs 50,000 for scoring the Coal India Goal of the Match from Mr. P.K Mahapatra, Additional Chief Secretary, Government of Haryana.

Matthew Dawson of Kalinga Lancers won the prize of Rs 25,000 for being the Hero Young Achiever of the Match from Mr. Sanjay Kumar Singh, Chairman Kalinga Lancers.

The Airtel Most Entertaining Player of the Match was awarded to Robbert Kemperman of Dabang Mumbai that came with a prize money of Rs 25,000 and presented by Mr. Aditya Khanna, Owner Dabang Mumbai.

Moritz Fuerste of Kalinga Lancers was declared the Man of the Match and was awarded a prize money of Rs 50,000 by Mr. Mahavir Mukherjee, CGM, Coal India Limited.

Awards for 3/ 4th place match: Uttar Pradesh Wizards beat Delhi Waveriders 5-4

Rupinder Pal Singh of Delhi Waveriders was awarded with a prize money of Rs 50,000 for scoring the Coal India Goal of the Match from Mr. D. Srivastava, General Manager, Coal India Limited.
Shamsher Singh of Uttar Pradesh Wizards won the prize of Rs 25,000 for being the Hero Young Achiever of the Match from Mr. Balbir Singh Senior, three-time Olympic gold medalist.

The Airtel Most Entertaining Player of the Match was awarded to Florent van Aubel of Uttar Pradesh Wizards that came with a prize money of Rs 25,000 and presented by Mr. B.K. Upadhyay, Regional Sales Manager, Coal India Limited.

Rupinder Pal Singh of Delhi Waveriders was declared the Man of the Match and was awarded a prize money of Rs 50,000 by Mr. Mahavir Mukherjee, CGM, Coal India Limited.

Tournament Awards:

Kalinga Lancers, the Winner of Coal India Hockey India League won a prize money of Rs 2 crores 50 lakhs by Mr Sutirtha Bhattacharya, Chairman Coal India Limited and Mohd Mustaque Ahamad, Chairman, Coal India Hockey India League.

Dabang Mumbai, the 1st Runner Up of Coal India Hockey India League won a prize money of Rs 1 crore 25 lakhs and the award was presented by Mr Jason McCracken, CEO FIH and R Mohan Das, Director Personnel Coal India Limited.

Uttar Pradesh Wizards, the 2nd Runner Up of Coal India Hockey India League, was awarded a prize money of Rs 75 lakhs by Mr. A.K. Jha, CMD Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd.

The Fair Play Trophy was awarded to the Kalinga Lancers by Ms Mariamma Koshy, President, Hockey India.

Florian Fuchs of Dabang Mumbai won the Hero Achiever Award for Upholding The Spirit of Hockey and also received a prize money of Rs 10 lakhs by Mr. Balbir Singh Senior, three times Olympic Gold medalist

Moritz Fuerste and Glenn Turner of Kalinga Lancers were declared joint winners of the Dhruv Batra Maximum Goal Awards and were presented with prize money of Rs 20 lakhs by Jason McCracken, CEO, FIH

Harmanpreet Singh won the Ponty Chadha Upcoming player of the tournament award and was presented with a prize money of Rs 20 lakhs by Captain JS Randhawa

Florian Fuchs of Dabang Mumbai was declared the Most Valuable Player of Tournament and was awarded a prize money of Rs. 50 lakhs presented by Mr AK Jha, CMD Mahanadi Coalfields Limited.

Official HIL Site

HIL 2017 Final: Kalinga new champions of HIL

s2h team

As a field goal struck by Dabang Mumbai did not survive the neutral umpire Andy Meir's scrutiny in the referral, the relieved Kalinga Lancers went on to score another penalty corner goal a minute before the final hooter to add to their 3-1 lead and thus emerged new Champions of Hockey India League 2017. Glenn Turner's double-effect solitary field goal and two penalty corner strikes by Moritz Fuerste met just a single late goal reply by Affan Yousaf. Fluent and flair, Team Kalinga won crown on a majestic score of 4-1, and with that the hockey world's biggest prize money booty of Rs.2.50 Cr (USD 385,000).

Dabang Mumbai's short-lived field goal struck in a scramble by Australian Kiern Govers would have levelled the score 3-3 had it survived the timely referral.

It was not to be despite field umpire's nod.

But the Mumbai team is to be blamed for themselves for losing the final, with their wayward scoring attempts both through field and penalty corners today.

Nothing mirrors this than their poor penalty corner processes. That the side wasted as many as five out of six hard earned penalty corners speak for itself.

On the other hand, only team to do well at PCs, Kalinga kept up their record, converting both the PCs they got.

The last three PCs for Mumbai came in succession with just a couple of minutes left in the clock, last of which was woefully employed leading to Kalinga's counter that produced Moritz Fuerste's last of 12 goals with just 98 seconds left in the clock, and thus dousing any last hopes of Dabang Mumbai for which they are byword by now.

Kalinga Lancers led 3-o at half time.

Aided by a field goal by Glen Turner and a matching penalty corner goal off the lone chance it got from ever reliable Moritz Fuerste gave Kalinga Lancers 3-0 lead at half time in the grand final of the Fifth Hockey India League.

On resumption, in an indirect attempt at penalty corner, Affan Yousaf struck the lone goal of his side. But woeful PC drills thereafter and exemplary goalkeeping again by Andrew Charter saw the Kalinga gets its due in only its second appearance in the final.


Goal of the Match: Affan Yousaf
Young Achiever of the Match: Matthew Dawson
Most Entertaining Player of the Match: Robert Kemperman
Man of the Match: Moritz Fuerste


The Fair Play Trophy: Kalinga Lancers
Hero Achiever Award: Florian Fuchs
Maximum Goal Awards: Moritz Fuerste and Glenn Turner
Upcoming player of the tournament: Harmanpreet Singh
Most Valuable Player of Tournament: Florian Fuchs


Lancers go one better, lift HIL title

Uthra Ganesan

Over the moon: The Kalinga Lancers players hammered Dabang Mumbai 4-1 in the final. Photo Credit: Akhilesh Kumar

Kalinga Lancers went a step further from its runner-up finish last year, taking home the trophy in the fifth season of the Hockey India League (HIL) after a convincing 4-1 win in the final against Dabang Mumbai, whose fairytale journey through the tournament did not quite have the end it sought.

Captain Moritz Fuerste and experienced Glenn Turner, who have been at the forefront of Lancers’s campaign all through this season, continued their terrific form to end as top-scorers of the league with 12 goals apiece. Ten of those for Fuerste came through penalty corners, including two in the final, the last one in 59th minute to seal victory in his team’s favour. Turner put his team ahead in the 18th minute with a brilliant diving deflection and Fuerste increased the lead at the stroke of half time before Affan Yousuf pulled one back.

Mumbai, on the other hand, faltered at the final hurdle after a dominating season that saw it beat every team with authority, but not for want of effort. It created the opportunities, attacked with vigour and, trailing 1-3, spent the last 10 minutes parked in Lancers half but could not find the elusive goals.

The young defence trio of Lancers — Dipsan Tirkey, Amit Rohidaas and Matthew Dawson — made sure there were no unnecessary tackles and were impressive in keeping their feet out of play. A penalty corner for Dabang was cancelled after referral, as was a field goal by Kieran Govers in the 58th minute for the ball rising dangerously. Three back-to-back penalty corners in the final minute also went waste.

The match was all but sealed then but Fuerste stamped his name at the top of scorers list with his final strike and lifted his second HIL title and also became the second player to do so as skipper of two different teams after Sardar Singh.

Earlier, Uttar Pradesh Wizards overcame the disappointment of losing the semifinal in shoot-outs to defeat Delhi Waveriders 5-4 and finish third for the second time.

In a match that saw both teams exchanging honours and possession repeatedly, it was Waveriders who stepped up the attack early on and created chances.

Justin Reid-Ross’s shot in the 15th minute deflected off V.R. Raghunath’s stick for a rare own goal but thereafter the Wizards defence tightened up. At the other end, Waveriders were equally solid in defence before Shamsher Singh struck one in after being put through by Chinglensana Singh.

Rupinder Pal Singh got two penalty corners right and Gonzalo Peillat one. Wizrads custodian P.R. Sreejesh was kept busy by Mandeep Singh and Niklas Wellen but managed to hold on. Waveriders goalkeeper Vincent Vanasch too denied Wizards several times, including in a one-on-one situation with Ajay Yadav and back-to-back shots from Ajitesh Roy and Florent van Aubel.

But a goalmouth melee in the 56th minute saw Agustin Mazzilli get the winner.

The results (final):

Kalinga Lancers 4 (Moritz Fuerste 2 PCs, Glenn Turner 2 FG) bt Dabang Mumbai 1 (Affan Yousuf 1 PC); Third place playoff: Uttar Pradesh Wizards 5 (Shamsher Singh 2 FG, Agustin Mazzilli 2 FG, Gonzalo Peillat 1 PC) bt Delhi Waveriders 4 (Justin Reid-Ross 2 FG, Rupinder Pal Singh 2 PCs).

Cash awards: Winner: Kalinga Lancers (Rs. 2.5 crore); Runner-up: Dabang Mumbai (Rs. 1.25 crore); Third place: Uttar Pradesh Wizards (Rs. 75 lakh).

Fairplay Trophy: Kalinga Lancers.

Top-scorer: Moritz Fuerste and Glenn Turner (12 goals each, Rs. 20 lakh).

Upcoming Player: Harmanpreet Singh (Rs. 20 lakh).

Player-of-the-Tournament: Florian Fuchs (Rs. 50 lakh).

Achiever-of-the-Tournament: Florian Fuchs (Rs. 10 lakh).

The Hindu

Fuerste gets Kalinga redemption

Fires two peanlty-corners as last-year’s finalists defeat Mumbai 4-1, wn title

Indervir Grewal

Kalinga Lancers strike a pose after winning the fifth edition of the Hockey India League. photo: Vicky Gharu

Chandigarh: Kalinga Lancers continued the trend of losing finalists coming back to win the title next year as they choked table-toppers Dabang Mumbai into submission to win the fifth edition of the Hockey India League here today.

The first-time champions followed in the footsteps of Punjab Warriors and Delhi Waveriders, redeeming the hammering they suffered at the hands of Punjab in the last year’s final with a convincing 4-1 win over form favourites Mumbai.

Led by their senior foreign players — Australian Aran Zalewski and Dutchman Billy Bakker in the middle and Moritz Fuerste with his two drag-flicking goals — Kalinga produced arguably their best performance of the season. However, Kalinga captain Fuerste couldn’t care less about the way they won the title. “We will hold the trophy, we are very happy. It doesn’t matter what happened in the 60 minutes. It’s history and doesn’t matter now,” Fuerste said.

Better in final

Kalinga did what they had been doing all month long, but they did it a bit better in the final. They controlled the middle smartly, slowing down the pace to kill Mumbai’s fluent attacking style. They changed the pace to find the openings; and, just as they had been doing all season long, they were efficient in converting the few chances they created.

Glenn Turner’s diving deflection gave Kalinga the lead in the 18th minute. After beating the goalkeepers with low drag-flicks into the left corner, Fuerste made the Mumbai goalkeeper second-guess and fired one to the right to make it 3-0 at the stroke of halftime. Mumbai got one back through an Affan Yousuf penalty corner deflection goal in the 33rd minute.

Some desperate defending and a couple of good referrals, one of which overturned a Mumbai field goal, got Kalinga close to the end, before Fuerste fired another drag-flick into the backboard in the penultimate minute. The German, who equalled Turner as the top-scorer in the league with the goal, celebrated with some bhangra.

Wizards go third

Earlier, Uttar Pradesh Wizards stole the third place from Delhi Waveriders with a 57th-minute goal in their 5-4 win. Argentine Agustin Mazzilli’s first-time slap finish proved the difference between going home empty-handed and the Rs 75 lakh prize purse.

Delhi were the more dominant in possession and took the lead twice. Justin Reid-Ross’ pass from inside the circle was intercepted by VR Raghunath, but the senior defender’s clearance went into his goal, giving Delhi a 2-0 lead in the 15th minute. Wizards, though, equalised three minutes later with Shamsher Singh’s deflection.

But Rupinder Pal Singh’s (24th and 36th) penalty corner conversions gave Delhi a two-goal cushion to control the proceedings. Despite Gonzalo Peillat’s 38th-minute drag-flick goal reducing the lead, Delhi dominated and Wizards found it tough to find the goal.

But right at the end, Wizards showed the intent and desperation that had been missing throughout the second half. Mazzilli’s goal turned the tables and Delhi, despite a couple of chances in the last minute, had to go home empty-handed.

The Tribune

Fuerste leads Kalinga to maiden HIL title

UHC Hamburg’s Moritz Fuerste took home both the Man of the Match title and a shared top scorer award following the Coal India Hockey India League as Kalinga Lancers beat Dabang Mumbai in the final 4-1 earlier today.

It was their first title in the competition, now in its fifth season, as they reversed the group stage’s order of things. Kalinga finished second in the regular season table but claimed the laurels against the table-toppers as they opened up with a field goal from Royal Leopold’s Glenn Turner for a 2-0 lead (the HIL awards two goals for efforts from play).

Lancers captain Moritz Fuerste scored in the 30th minute to extend the lead to 3-0. Indian international Affan Yousuf pulled one back in the third quarter for Mumbai, from a penalty corner in the 33rd minute but Fuerste closed out the win with a second corner goal for the 4-1 victory. It made his tally 12 goals for the tournament, level with team mate Turner.
The side also featured AH&BC Amsterdam’s Billy Bakker and HC Rotterdam’s Adam Dixon.

Earlier in the day, Oranje-Rood’s Agustin Mazzilli provided the crucial field goal to earn a 5-4 win for the Uttar Pradesh to beat the Delhi Waveriders to claim the bronze medal.

Euro Hockey League media release

Kalinga Lancers beat Dabang Mumbai to clinch maiden Hockey India League title

Kalinga Lancers clinched their maiden Hockey India League title after defeating Dabang Mumbai in the final in Chandigarh on Sunday. (HIL)

Last year’s finalists Kalinga Lancers made amends to lift their maiden Hockey India League title, defeating Dabang Mumbai 4-1 in the final on Sunday.

Dabang Mumbai, who were leaders at the end of the league stage, could not find their best as Kalinga Lancers emerged victorious to claim the purse of Rs 2.5 crore. The runners-up received Rs 1.25 crore.

The Bhubaneswar-based Lancers ruled the pitch with excellent display of skills and team work, and also bagged the ‘fair play trophy’.

Kalinga Lancers skipper Moritz Fuerste of Germany, who has won three Olympic medals, converted two penalty corners and the team’s Australian import Glenn Turner scored a field goal to seal the issue. A field goal gets two points.

Fuerste and Turner also finished as the league’s joint highest scorers with 12 goals each in as many matches.

After the first quarter was goalless, Turner opened the account in the 18th minute, deflecting a shot from the right of the striking circle. Fuerste converted a drag flick in the 29th minute to extend the score to 3-0.

Dabang Mumbai pulled one back through Affan Yousuf’s penalty corner conversion in the 33rd minute (1-3). They raised hopes of making a comeback in the dying minutes of the match when the umpire awarded a field goal and the scoreboard displayed 3-3. But celebrations were short-lived as the goal was disallowed after Kalinga sought a video referral.

Kalinga skipper Fuerste then converted another penalty corner in the last minute to seal the match.

Mumbai Dabang’s Harmanpreet Singh, who was part of the Junior World Cup winning squad and was among the nominees for the FIH Rising Star of the Year category, bagged the award for emerging player of the league, which carries a cash award of Rs 20 lakh. Harmanpreet scored seven goals.

Hindustan Times

Kalinga Lancers beat Dabang Mumbai to lift maiden HIL title

CHANDIGARH: They finished second best last season, but Kalinga Lancers meant business this year as they defeated Dabang Mumbai 4-1 in a keenly-contested summit clash to win their maiden Hockey India League title, here on Sunday.

Skipper Moritz Fuerste (30th, 58th) converted two penalty corners for the Lancers before Glenn Turner (18th minute) struck a field effort for the Odisha outfit, which lost the final last year to Jaypee Punjab Warriors.

For the first time finalist, Dabang Mumbai Affan Yousuf (33rd) scored the lone goal from a penalty corner variation.

Earlier in the day, Agustin Mazzilli scored a late field goal to help Uttar Pradesh Wizards register a 5-4 come-from-behind win over Delhi Waveriders and claim the bronze medal in the fifth edition of the tournament.

Trailing 3-4 with three minutes remaining in the game, the Argentine striker found himself at the right place at the right time to clinically finish Florent van Aubel's assist from a tight angle to hand UP Wizards the lead and their first podium finish in the history of the tournament.

It was action-packed first quarter of the final in which both the Lancers and Dabang Mumbai created real scoring chances but both the teams failed to make them count.

In their first final of the HIL, it was Dabang Mumbai who were more assertive in the first quarter but they failed to get past an alert Andrew Charter in front of Lancers goal.

The Lancers finally broke the deadlock in the 18th minute through tournament's highest scorer so far, Australian Glenn Turner, who found himself positioned to tap home a Mortuiz Fuerste pass from out side the D after it took a deflection from Lalit Upadhayay's stick.

A minute later, Dabang Mumbai secured a penalty corner but Charter stood like a rock in front of the Lancers goal to deny Harmanpreet Singh.

Dabang Mumbai captain Florian Fuchs then came tentalisingly close when he sprinted into the opposition circle, beating a host of defenders but his diagonal shot from the right went inches wide off the target even as a diving Gurjant Singh far away failed to get his stick.

Dabang Mumbai's Affan Yousuf then set it up with a brilliant run for Manpreet Jr but the latter failed to keep his balance and unleashed a weak shot which was easily kept away by in-form Charter.

To add to Dabang Mumbai's woes, Aran Zalewski won a penalty corner for the Lancers just at the stroke of half time and skipper Moritz Fuerste made no mistake in sending his flick into the centre of the net past FIH's Goalkeeper of the Year, Harte.

The high intensity action continued in the third quarter with Dabang Mumbai showing more purpose.

Three minutes into the third quarter Kieran Govers' secured a penalty corner for Dabang Mumbai and Affan Yousuf reduced the margin for his side with the help of a fine variation.

A brilliant Charter continued his fine show in front of the Lancers goal by pulling off terrific save to deny Gurjant Singh's fierce reverse hit from top of the circle in the 38th minute. In the final quarter, Dabang Mumbai went on the offensive in search of goals and penetrated the opposition circle numerous times but they erred in the final finishing.

Trailing by two goals, Dabang Mumbai pressed hard and three minutes from final hooter Govers found the target on the second chance after Fuchs' initial shot was saved by Charter but the goal was disallowed for dangerous ball after the Lancers went for video referral.

With time running out, Mumbai made desperate attempts to make a comeback and in the process earned three back-to-back penalty corners. Trailing by two goals, the Mumbai outfit went for indirect tries in search of field goals but they failed to capitalise on the opportunities.

Fuerste drove the final nail in Dabang Mumbai's coffin when he converted his second penalty corner of the day a minute from the hooter.

Earlier in the bronze medal play-off match, it was the former champions Delhi Waveriders who were quick to get off the blocks when Justin Reid-Ross scored from a field effort in the 15th minute to hand his side a 2-0 lead.

UP Wizards' Shamsher Singh (18th) levelled the scoreline three minutes into the second quarter with a fine field goal after receiving an inch perfect pass from Chinglensana Singh.

According to the new rules of the tournament, one field strike is counted as two.

The Waveriders restored their lead in the 24th minute when skipper Rupinder Pal Singh converted a penalty corner and the Delhi outfit went into the halfway break leading 3-2.

After the change of ends, the Waveriders extended their lead again through a penalty corner conversion by Rupinder in the 36th minute.

Argentine dragflicker Gonzalo Peillat (38th) pulled one back for the UP Wizards two minutes later from a penalty corner to narrow down the scoreline to 3-4.

Despite having the lions share of ball possession in the fourth quarter, the Waveriders failed to capitalise on their lead.

Trailing by a goal, the UP Wizards went all out attacking in the last few minutes of the match and made some ambitious forays into the rival citadel.

The UP Wizards efforts bore fruit three minutes from the final hooter as Mazzilli scored from a tight angle past Delhi keeper Vincent Vanasch after being fed brilliantly by Van Aubel.

The Waveriders had one last chance to draw level when they were awarded a penalty corner in the final minute of the match but Rupinder failed to find the target this time.

The Times of India

HIL 5 3/4: Mazzilli lands bronze for UP Wizards

s2h team

Photo by Siddhartha Mittal

What is unmistakable with Rio gold medallist Agustin Mazzilli is his 3D skills apart from all game traits, which he displayed amply in the Hockey India League. But he left indelible mark today not with his usual 3D but with a goal generated out of not so dangerous looking gentle feed from another Rio medallist Florent van Aubel. The 57th minute goal that stunned the hither to smoothly progressing Delhi Waveriders gave the Uttar Pradesh Wizards the proud, bronze and a worthy prize money of INR 750,000 (USD 115,000).

DWRs were riding on lead since Justin Reid-Ross struck a field goal in the dying moments of first quarter and then captain Rupinder Pal Singh for once turned out successful in the penalty corner process.

The ultimate Man of the Match scored two penalty corner goals off two successive attempts to enlarge his side's lead to 4-2 till then.

Mazzilli's peer in the national side Gonzalo Peillat narrowed the lead to solitary goal when he sent the ball as a grounder between a defender and goalie Vincent Vanasch (4-3) in the 37th minute. With a field goal coming from opportunistic Justin Reid-Ross in the first quarter (2-0) got cancelled out early in the second quarter when Shamesher Singh bent full to deflect a Chenglensana's 25-yard slap shot in to D in to the far corner of the cage (2-2).

The Shamsher's goal came out of nowhere. Chenglensana Singh sent a strong diagonal slpa from his 25-yard area into D. Young Shamsher Singh who was way away from goalie in the circle, and unmarked, bent fully to deflect its direction. Goalie Vincent Vanasch dives to intercept, but got it bounced to fall to the far corner of the net.

Both teams scored three goals, but two field goals compared to one by the DWR made all the difference in the end.


Goal of the Match: RUPINDER PAL SINGH
Young Achiever of the Match: Shamsher Singh
Most Entertaining Player of the Match: Florant van Aubel
Man of the Match: RUPINDER PAL SINGH


UP Wizards rode on Mazzilli's late goal to win bronze in HIL

CHANDIGARH: Agustin Mazzilli scored a late field goal to help Uttar Pradesh Wizards register a 5-4 come-from-behind win over Delhi Waveriders and claim the bronze medal in the fifth edition of Hockey India League (HIL), here on Sunday.

Trailing 3-4 with three minutes remaining in the game, the Argentine striker found himself at the right place at the right time to clinically finish Florent van Aubel's assist from a tight angle to hand UP Wizards the lead and their first podium finish in the history of the tournament.

But it was the former champions Delhi Waveriders who were quick to get off the blocks when Justin Reid-Ross scored from a field effort in the 15th minute to hand his side a 2-0 lead.

UP Wizards' Shamsher Singh (18th) levelled the scoreline three minutes into the second quarter with a fine field goal after receiving an inch perfect pass from Chinglensana Singh.

According to the new rules of the tournament, one field strike is counted as two.

The Waveriders restored their lead in the 24th minute when skipper Rupinder Pal Singh converted a penalty corner and the Delhi outfit went into the halfway break leading 3-2.

After the change of ends, the Waveriders extended their lead again through a penalty corner conversion by Rupinder in the 36th minute.

Argentine dragflciker Gonzalo Peillat (38th) pulled one back for the UP Wizards two minutes later from a penalty corner to narrow down the scoreline to 3-4.

Despite having the lions share of ball possession in the fourth quarter, the Waveriders failed to capitalise on their lead.

Traling by a goal, the UP Wizards went all out attacking in the last few minutes of the match and made some ambitious forays into the rival citadel.

The UP Wizards efforts bore fruit three minutes from the final hooter as Mazzilli scored from a tight angle past Delhi keeper Vincent Vanasch after being fed brilliantly by Van Aubel.

The Waveriders had one last chance to draw level when they were awarded a penalty corner in the final minute of the match but Rupinder failed to find the target this time.

The Times of India

UP Wizards clinch bronze medal with win over Delhi Waveriders

UP Wizards beat Delhi Waveriders in the third-place play-off match of the Hockey India League.(HIL)

Agustin Mazzilli’s late strike helped UP Wizards beat Delhi Waveriders 5-4 in the bronze medal match of the Hockey India League (HIL) at the Chandigarh Hockey Stadium on Sunday.

The Argentine forward struck with a point-blank deflection goal as UP Wizards took the 5-4 lead after Rupinder Pal Singh’s twin penalty corner goals put Delhi ahead.

Delhi Waveriders, who on Saturday lost to Kalinga Lancers in the semi-final, wasted another opportunity after they were put on the lead by Mandeep Singh, who deflected in a pass Justin Reid-Ross.

The second quarter saw more attacking hockey from Delhi as a result they got their first penalty corner in the initial minutes but failed to take the lead.

Soon UP Wizards started counter-attacking and in the process they scored an equaliser through Shamsher Singh, who guided a straight long ball at the goalpost from Chinglensana Singh.

Delhi recovered from the equaliser and went up 4-2 with two minutes into the third quarter via Rupinder’s two penalty corner conversions. While one went to the bottom left corner, the other one went to the right as he made amends for his earlier mistakes.

Delhi kept their tactics clear in the third quarter too as they won a penalty corner for the foot foul in the initials minutes.

Just when things seemed worse for the UP Wizards, Argentine drag-flicker Peillat slammed powerfully into the net to reduce the deficit to one goal.

Despite holding the ball possession for most of the third and fourth quarters, Delhi failed to capitalise.

Last few minutes saw some ambitious attempts by UP Wizards and they took the 5-4 lead in the 57th minute when Florent van Aubel prevented the ball from going out of the right base-line before giving a tap in opportunity for Mazzilli.

Hindustan Times

Moritz Fuerste harvests a record USD 142,500 in HIL, and how

s2h team

When third consecutive penalty corner flopped for the German Florian Fuchs’ led Dabang Mumbai, and just less than two minutes left in the clock for the hooter, a counter attack saw Kalinga Lancers earning only second of their penalty corner. When Captain Moritz Fuerste stepped into convert -- which he had already done once with the first in the second quarter itself – he was perhaps not aware he will hit another jackpot.

He had so far had 11 goals in his kitty, one behind his team mate Glenn Turner. As things would turn out, Moritz hit the centre of cage to take his personal goal tally to 12 to level with Glenn.

The booty here is the he and Glenn being joint top scorers, entailed a purse of Rs.20 Lac (USD 3200).

Otherwise, without this goal which he got less than 90 seconds before full time of the HIL final, he would have missed fifty percent of the purse earmarked for the Dhruv Batra top scorer prize money.

So, the Olympic gold medallist Moritz got an additional USD 16000.

There is also a poetic justice here.

Glenn scored only six goals but all being field goals his tally is counted as 12 whereas Moritz actually scored 10 times through PC, besides a field one obtained thro a stroke conversion.

However, Moritz’s share of joint top scorer award of USD 16000 pales into nothing against what he was sold for in the 2015 HIL Players Auction.

He was the first player to crack the USD 100,000 mark. He was purchased by the Kalinga Lancers from Ranchi Rays for a record USD 105,000.

His earning did not stop with this record prize this year. He won Man of the Match award four times, netting in all Rs.200,000. Thrilling goal Award Twice Rs. 100,000.

His team has got winners purse of Rs. 2.50 Cr. Normally, the Franchise owners share the booty with the players and coaches, though they are not bound to do so.

If Kalinga, despite being a Govt owned Franchise unlike all other five which are private, decides to share with players then Moritz will get another USD 16,000.

It all works to one third of his annual fee.

In all this worthy’s total earning for this year HIL will be around USD 142,500. Moritz is Olympic gold medallist, hails from Hamburg in Germany. He played first three years of HIL for Ranchi before ailing Kalinga got him in the 2015 Auction.

Moritz justified his top billing taking the team to title twice and winning now.


This Is Why The Hockey India League Has An Important Role In The Sport's Future In The Country

Somak Adhikari


In 2013 a new venture was started. Something to do for hockey which the IPL had done for cricket.

Hence, the Hockey India League was born. Kalinga Lancers have won the trophy this year, but the story is beyond just lifting the title at the end of an edition.


What purpose does HIL serve to India? The answer is simple, it is the platform for hockey to go forward in the country.

One must remember that both current Indian and international stars take part in the competition.

It is just the boost the game needs at this point. Floris Jan Bovelander, who has won the Olympic gold and the World Cup with Holland, feels that the league is one of the best in the world and gives inspiration to Indians to take it up.


India were kings of the game at one point but sadly that is not the case anymore.

The Ranchi Rhinos won the inaugural tournament and it proved to be a big hit with the fans. Crowds swarmed to the stadiums and it is a clear indication of what the game means to the people.

It has had its share of controversies, with teams being removed and replaced. But the likes of Sardar Singh and PR Sreejesh, who form the backbone of our hockey team certainly endorse the league.

If India are to emerge as a super power the HIL will have to promote talent from the grassroots. It is the medium through which talent will reach the masses and get to shine on the big stage.

A hockey gold in 2020? Well, come what may, the HIL is where you need to look for the next crop of players.

India Times

THT win shoot-out in TNB Cup thriller

By Jugjet Singh

THE Malaysia Hockey League TNB Cup final turned into an eight-goal thriller as Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC) and Terengganu Hockey Team ended the game at 4-4 and the title had to be decided on a shoot-out at the Tun Razak Stadium yesterday.

And in the shoot-out THT won their fourth consecutive TNB Cup with a slim 5-4 margin.

"We really had to bring out our best and it was sweet as we managed to defend one title this season purely on determination. Or hero in this and the last season was Jang (Jong Hyun) who scored 28 goals and his hat-trick in the final was worth his weight in gold," said THT coach Sarjit Singh.

KLHC coach Harun Al-Rashid said luck ran out from their side.

"We had the match in hand but were unlucky in the shoot-out. We beat them 6-5 in the Charity Shield shoot-out, but luck was not on our side this time around.

The heavy rain turned into a drizzle minutes from the start, but still, there were many fans who braved it to watch the two top teams in the country slug it out for the Overall title.

THT brought in bus-loads of fans from Terengganu, while KLHC a marching band which kept the Tun Razak Stadium terraces busy and noisy.

KLHC had already won the Charity Shield and the League titles, while THT had the Alagendra Cup in their cabinet before the match.

Anton Poul Fritz, from Germany, started the count with a well placed field attempt in the ninth minute to hand KLHC the Lead. It was his 11th goal of the season.

However, MHL top-scorer Jang Jung Hyun nailed the equaliser off his first attempt in the 12th minute to take his tally to 26 goals.

National player Razie Rahim then took centre stage in the 19th minute, with a powerful penalty corner drive to hand KLHC the lead again at 2-1.

And Anton made it 3-1 with a penalty corner deflection in the 25th minute, and it looked like THT were also going to lose their TNB Cup title this season.

But Jang narrowed the score yet again with another powerful penalty stroke drive to make it THT 2 KLHC 3 at the 35th minute.

THT were a new side in the third quarter, as they pressed for the equaliser with urgency and Jang then gave THT the lifeline they needed with his hat-trick coming in the 49th minute -- with a shoot-out looming large.

So tensed was the final, that a second penalty stroke was awarded in the match and this time it was for KLHC and Syamim Yusof flicked in for a 4-3 lead in the 53rd minute.

And the night had more drama left, as with three minutes left on the clock THT equalised off a field goal from Nicolas Enrique to take the match into shoot-out.

RESULTS -- TNB Cup final: Terengganu Hockey Team 4 Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club 4 (THT win shoot-out 5-4).

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Terengganu retain TNB Cup after penalty shootout win

by S. Ramaguru

Over the moon: Terengganu players and officials celebrate with the trophy and prizes after beating KLHC in the TNB Cup final yesterday. — ART CHEN/The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Terengganu won their fourth straight TNB Cup, thanks to a thrilling penalty shootout win over Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC).

After a 4-4 draw in regulation time in yesterday’s final at the Tun Razak Hockey Stadium, Terengganu prevailed 5-4 in the shootout.

Terengganu converted all their attempts through Faizal Saari, Wan Mohamed Hazrul, Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin, Fitri Saari and Ahmad Shakeel Butt. Only Joel van Huizen missed the attempt for KLHC. Mohamed Syamin Yusof, Meor Mohamed Azuan, Dedy Ariyadi and Kleinschmidt Aaron Craig were on target.

Both teams shared the prize money with each getting RM80,000.

Terengganu coach Sarjit Singh was full of relief after the win.

“KLHC gave us a tough fight. But we fought till the end and that was what mattered most. Credit to them for making it such a wonderful game,” he said.

Both teams went in search of an early goal from the get-go. It was KLHC who grabbed the lead after only nine minutes through German Anton Fritz Ebelling, who scored the winning goal when they won the Premier Division title on Feb 19.

Terengganu, however, managed to hit back in the 12th minute when they earned their first penalty corner. South Korean Jang Jung-hyun made no mistake with his drag flick to put the teams on level terms.

In the second quarter, KLHC surged to the lead again in the 19th minute with national player Mohamed Razie Rahim firing home from a penalty corner.

KLHC increased the lead to 3-1 in the 25th minute, again through a penalty corner when Anton deflected home Razie’s flick.

But Jung-hyun managed to reduce the deficit to 2-3 in the 35th minute. He made no mistake after Terengganu were awarded a penalty stroke.

The east coast side continued to surge forward. Jung-hyun scored his hat-trick in the 49th minute when he converted a penalty corner to take his season’s tally to 28 goals.

But KLHC surprised Terengganu by winning a penalty stroke against the run of play in the 53rd minute. Mohamed Syamin duly converted to make it 4-3.

Nicholas Enrique Torre, however, came to Terengganu’s rescue. He netted a field goal in the 57th minute to take the final into a shootout.

The Star of Malaysia

Denayer frustrated by Dragons loss to Waterloo Ducks

Dragons’ Felix Denayer admitted his frustration as KHC Dragons fell to a 4-3 defeat to Waterloo Ducks in the Belgian Audi Hockey League.

Both sides were down players due to the Hockey India League finals. Dragons started the brighter but were caught on the counter-attack by a Romain Penelle touch from Luca Masso’s shot. Blair Hilton and Nicolas Dumont extended the lead to 3-0.

The Antwerp side replied in kind with second half goals from Henri Raes and Thomas Briels before Denayer levelled from a stroke in the 53rd minute.

But Gauthier Boccard put the WatDucks back in front from a corner before Dragons suffered successive yellow cards from Briels and Denayer.

Reflecting on the game, Denayer told the HockeyBelgium website: "We started very well and we could have taken a 2-0 lead after five minutes.

“We then had 20 complicated minutes and conceded three goals. But that served as a lesson and we got our act together well after the break.

“We reacted well and we managed to get back level with Watducks. We then let in an avoidable goal. This must serve as a lesson to us.

“We will have a lot to analyze after this defeat. It is our fault that we lost this game. It is all the more unfortunate that we could have put Waterloo seven points behind us after this game."

Euro Hockey League media release

Mink fires Oranje Rood into top three

Oranje-Rood fought their way back into the top three of the Dutch Hoofdklasse with a 3-2 win over Rotterdam with Mink van der Weerden scoring two goals.

He broke the deadlock before Jelle Galema made it 2-0. Jeroen Hertzberger pulled one back before half-time and Sebastian Molkenboer levelled the game with 27 minutes to go. But van der Weerden fired in a corner for a 3-2, ending Rotterdam’s run of four wins from before Christmas.

AH&BC Amsterdam were the other big winners in the top half of the table with a 3-1 win over SV Kampong in a repeat of last year’s EHL final.

Mirco Pruyser and Martijn Havenga exchanged goals inside the first ten minutes before Amsterdam took the lead thanks to Boris Burkhardt’s 31st minute goal.

Teun Rohof’s goal from a corner completed the victory that lifts Amsterdam to 30 points in second, five clear of third placed Oranje Rood.

They also closed the gap on leaders Bloemendaal by a couple of points after the leaders drew 0-0 with Pinoke.

HGC beat Den Bosch 2-1 to move up to fifth place with Tristan Algera scoring the winner in the closing minutes. Hurley got their first Hoofdklasse win in 15 months with a 4-3 success against Tilburg while Almere and Qui Vive drew 2-2.

Euro Hockey League media release

Wimbledon and Holcombe strengthen their league positions

Wimbledon moved within touching distance of an unassailable lead in the English league as they claimed their 11th win from 14 league games, moving seven points clear of Holcombe.

Goals from Kieran Mulholland and Nick Catlin for East Grinstead and efforts from Ben Arnold and Nathaniel Stewart made it 2-2, before unbeaten Wimbledon stepped up the pace and took the win through goals from Johnny Kinder and Pete Small.

East Grinstead are five points outside of the play-off positions with four games to go and will rely on other results going their way. For Wimbledon, they require two wins from their closing four games to secure first place.

Holcombe gave their play-off chances a huge boost with a 2-1 win over Loughborough Students, despite a plucky display from their opponents.

Goals from Nick Bandurak and Gareth Andrew made sure of the points for Holcombe and they go second. They are six points above Beeston and seven points off Wimbledon at the top.

Surbiton, meanwhile, dropped two points against Brooklands Manchester University. Peter Flanagan hit three for Brooklands in the 3-3 draw but Gareth Furlong matched the feat and scored an equaliser just two minutes from time to grab a point for Surbiton.

The result sees Surbiton drop to third but Brooklands stay eighth and ease their relegation worries, five points above Canterbury.

Another team vying for a top-four finish are Beeston – but they let a late lead slip against Reading on and drew 2-2.

Euro Hockey League media release

Two hat-tricks as Brooklands MU and Surbiton draw

Brooklands MU in defensive action. Credit Josh Dixon

A player from each side hit a hat-trick in a scintillating 3-3 draw between Brooklands Manchester University and Surbiton in the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division on Sunday.

Peter Flanagan hit three for Brooklands in the 3-3 draw but Gareth Furlong matched the feat and scored an equaliser just two minutes from time to grab a point for Surbiton.

The result sees Surbiton drop to third but Brooklands stay eighth and ease their relegation worries, five points above Canterbury.

Wimbledon remain top after a 4-2 win at East Grinstead. Goals from Kieran Mulholland and Nick Catlin for East Grinstead and efforts from Ben Arnold and Nathaniel Stewart made it 2-2, before unbeaten Wimbledon stepped up the pace and took the win through goals from Johnny Kinder and Pete Small.

East Grinstead are five points outside of the play-off positions with four games to go and will rely on other results going their way.

Holcombe gave their play-off chances a huge boost with a 2-1 win over Loughborough Students, despite a plucky display from their opponents.

Goals from Nick Bandurak and Gareth Andrew made sure of the points for Holcombe and they go second. They are six points above Beeston and six points off Wimbledon at the top.

Elliot Smith hit the consolation for Loughborough Students but they remain rooted to the foot of the table without a point.

Another team vying for a top-four finish are Beeston – but they let a late lead slip against Reading on and drew 2-2.

Mo Gandhi opened the scoring for Beeston before Kiran Patel levelled for Reading. Jonny Wilkinson’s strike saw Beeston regain the lead, but with two minutes left Reading pulled their goalkeeper off and used a kicking back. The tactic worked and ten seconds later, James Carson scoring the equaliser.

It was a good weekend for Reading, who are now on 19 points after they took victory over East Grinstead on the Saturday. Ed Carson, Nick Park and Richard Mantell were on target for Reading with Dominic Bowden and Simon Faulkner replying for East Grinstead.

Also playing on the Saturday were Canterbury and Hampstead and Westminster. That game ended 2-2 with Matt Guise Brown and Marc Edwards giving Hampstead a 2-0 lead before Joshua Pollard and then Tom Bean pulled Canterbury level. Hampstead are still in the top four and Canterbury are fighting for their lives in ninth.

Men’s Conference East

Dan Webster took his tally for the season up to 20 for the season with four goals in West Herts’ 5-2 win over Brighton and Hove in the Men’s Conference East.

Despite Webster being the leading scorer in the league West Herts are only seventh. However, the win makes it unlikely that they will have to worry about relegation.

Teddington lead on goal difference after a 3-2 defeat of Cambridge City but Sevenoaks remain in touching distance after beating Southgate by the same margin. Just one goal separates the two sides who have exactly the same number of wins, draws and losses.

Brighton are eighth and just three points ahead of ninth-placed Indian Gymkhana after a 3-2 win at Oxted. Hayden Beltz was their hero with a brace.

Richmond beat Wapping 3-1 in the only Men’s Conference East game on Saturday.

Men’s Conference North

The University of Durham edged closer to the Men’s Conference North title after a 4-2 win over Deeside Ramblers which saw them extend their lead to 12 points with just four games remaining.

Olton and West Warwickshire are doing all they can to catch them though, and recorded a 4-3 win against Oxton with goals from Chris Rawlings, Steven Batten, Martin Ebbage and Jack Williams.

At the other end of the table, it’s very tight between the bottom three of Cannock, Oxton and Leek.

Cannock did their chances of survival a world of good with a vital 4-3 win over fellow strugglers Leek, thanks to a dramatic penalty stroke in the final minute from Hardeep Jawanda.

Elsewhere, Sheffield Hallam moved up to sixth with a 2-1 win over Preston courtesy of an Andy Jackson double. A Thomas Ainsworth hat-trick saw Bowdon beat Doncaster 4-1.

Men’s Conference West

Cardiff and Met are on course to finish top in the Men’s Conference West but they had a tough time of it against strugglers Fareham.

Jamie Rawlings hit a hat-trick for Fareham, but Cardiff still ran out 5-4 winners with Jack Pritchard’s two goals in two minutes being a highlight, as well as Luke Hawker’s winning goal with four minutes left.

Team Bath Buccaneers haven’t given up on the title yet though and a Ben Mackey treble saw them beat the University of Birmingham 5-2 and put them within five points of Cardiff.

Isca and Cheltenham drew 3-3 and Chichester drew 2-2 with the University of Bristol.

The University of Exeter still have an outside chance of landing the title after a 4-0 win over Old Georgians but they are eight points behind leaders Cardiff.

Men’s Hockey League (Saturday, 24 February 2017):

Men's Premier Division: Canterbury 2, Hampstead and Westminster 2; Reading 3, East Grinstead 2.

Men’s Conference East: Richmond 3, Wapping 1.

Men’s Hockey League (Sunday, 25 February 2017):

Men's Premier Division: Brooklands Manchester University 3, Surbiton 3; Holcombe 2, Loughborough Students 1; East Grinstead 2, Wimbledon 4; Reading 2, Beeston 2.

Men’s Conference East: Oxted 2, Indian Gymkhana 3; Cambridge City 2, Teddington 3; West Herts 5, Brighton and Hove 2; Sevenoaks 3, Southgate 2.

Men’s Conference North: Oxton 3, Olton and West Warwickshire 4; Leek 3, Cannock 4; University of Durham 4, Deeside Ramblers 2; Preston 1, Sheffield Hallam 2; Bowdon 4, Doncaster 1.

Men’s Conference West: Chichester 2, University of Bristol 2; Isca 3, Cheltenham 3; Cardiff and Met 5, Fareham 4; Team Bath Buccaneers 5, University of Birmingham 2; Old Georgians 0, University of Exeter 4.

England Hockey Board Media release

Men’s Scottish Cup and Plate semi-finals serve up drama and goals

Bromac Kelburne and Grange will be contesting this year`s men’s Scottish Cup final with both sides reaching the ultimate stage in spectacular fashion.

Grange saw off the challenge of Grove Menzieshill 8-1 while Kelburne reached the final via a penalty shoot-out against Edinburgh University.

Edinburgh may have exited the Cup at the semi-final stage but they gave holders Kelburne the game of their lives, the match ended 2-2 in normal time and the Paisley side progressed after winning 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out.

The students were a goal up at the interval; Ian Moodie`s shot hit the goalkeeper and looped into the net. The Paisley side were level early in the second half when Josh Cairns scored from the spot after Nick Finlayson`s shot was illegally stopped on the line.

There was drama in the closing three minutes, Jonas Nommensen put Kelburne 2-1 ahead only for Dan Coultas to equalise with an overtime penalty corner.

Kelburne kept their nerve in the penalty competition with Chris Nelson, Ben Peterson and Finlayson converting to progress to the final.

In the second semi-final Grange were in command when Luke Cranney put the Edinburgh side ahead in only two minutes. Then Duncan Riddell added a second, Callum Milne scored from the spot, and Captain Cammie Fraser converted a penalty corner for a four goal advantage at the interval.

In the second half Todd Mills scored twice, Milne added two more penalties to complete his hat-trick, and in the interim Aidan McQuade notched a consolation for the Taysiders from a penalty corner.

In the men’s Scottish Plate semi-finals Western Wildcats reached the final in a great 7-1 win victory over Perthshire. The game was three minutes old when Western Wildcats took the lead through a penalty strike by Adam McKenzie.

Joe McConnell doubled their lead through a penalty corner finish to make it 2-0. McKenzie added his second and Western Wildcats’ third on 25 minutes before Robertson pulled one back for Perthshire.

An Andrew McConnell strike rounded off the first half scoring to give Western Wildcats a 4-1 lead at the interval. Andrew McConnell bagged his second early doors in the second half to make it 5-1, before McKenzie scored two more goals to bring his personal tally to four, and a full-time score of 7-1.

Watsonians claimed the other spot in the Scottish Plate final with a 5-1 win over Greenock Morton. A tight first half was separated by a solitary strike by Fraser McCurdy to give Watsonians the lead.

Greenock equalised early in the second half when Jonny Roy struck from a penalty corner. Watsonians regained control through a strike by Tom Swarbrick in the 42nd minute.

Fraser Sands advanced Watsonians’ lead with a penalty corner strike before Mike Madison put the game to bed in the 65th minute. Two minutes later and Henri completed the scoring to make it 5-1 full time.

There was also a massive game in women’s National League 1 and Edinburgh University have now opened up a three point gap at the top of the women`s first division after a 1-0 win over rivals Milne Craig Western.

Edinburgh are three points ahead of Wildcats with a game more played and four ahead of Western but the latter have two games in hand.

Louise Campbell scored the only goal of the game early in the second half, but that was only after Western`s Susan McGilveray had missed from the spot.

The result rounds off a great weekend for the students with two wins on the trot.

Photos by Duncan Gray

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Irish Women's EY Hockey League Weekend Round Up

Anna O’Flanagan’s incredible scoring prowess proved the difference as Hermes-Monkstown stayed hot on the heels of UCD thanks to a narrow 2-1 win over Railway Union.

Hermes-Monkstown had lost 4-0 to Railway in the Jacqui Potter Cup without their international contingent six days earlier but they bounced back with a hard fought result.

O’Flanagan struck twice to raise her tally to 32 for the season, 19 clear of the next highest scorer – UCD’s Katie Mullan – across the elite level competitions in Ireland. It built a 2-0 advantage before Railway fought back with a late flurry of attacks but could only muster an Emma Smyth goal in reply.

UCD, meanwhile, retained their slender one-point lead, albeit with an extra game played, with a 4-1 success against Pembroke with Deirdre Duke netting twice. All the goals came in the first half with Mullan and Duke on the mark in the first quarter.

Sarah O’Loughlin stretched the advantage to 3-0 before Eanna Horan and Duke swapped goals for the final result.

Pegasus and Ards both kept their interest in a potential EY Champions Trophy playoff place with single-goal wins over Loreto and Ulster Elks, respectively.

For Pegs, Rachel McMillan’s early goal was the difference at Beaufort. She scored from a well-worked corner to set them on course for victory. From there, both sides had major moments of pressure but the Ulster side kept their nerve to record a 1-0 victory.

Ards, meanwhile, condemned Ulster Elks to a fifth successive defeat as Tamara Macleod and Chloe Brown struck in quick succession to run up a 2-1 victory.

The result gets them within five points of Loreto with a game in hand in a condensed midfield. Pegasus also have a game in lieu to play which could see them overhaul Loreto while Railway Union are also in the mix for the fourth playoff place.

EY Hockey League, day 14 results: Ards 2 (T Macleod, C Brown) Ulster Elks 1 (D Wilson); Loreto 0 Pegasus 1 (R McMillan); UCD 4 (D Duke 2, K Mullan, S O’Loughlin) Pembroke 1 (E Horan); Hermes-Monkstown 2 (A O’Flanagan 2) Railway Union 1 (E Smyth)

Day 14 extended reports

Hermes-Monkstown 2 (A O’Flanagan 2) Railway Union 1 (E Smyth)

Hermes-Monkstown claimed maximum points with their win over Railway Union in Rathdown, bouncing back from their 4-0 Jacqui Potter Cup loss from a week ago against the same opposition.

Indeed, the return of their international players was a key factor as Anna O’Flanagan bolstered her scoring stats to 32 already in the current campaign, almost 20 clear of her nearest rival on that front.

The game in the first quarter was played at a frantic pace with both sides playing to an intense tempo. Towards the end of that first phase, O'Flanagan made some space for herself and shot on goal; her shot initially saved by the Railway keeper, Grace O'Flanagan, but the striker picked up the rebound and made no mistake the second time.

By half time, the score remained 1-0 to the home side. Hermes-Monkstown doubled their advantage in the third quarter when Laura Pinder picked out a perfect pass to the awaiting O'Flanagan who slid the ball past the keeper.

In the final quarter, Railway piled on the pressure and it paid off with a goal from Emma Smyth. The intensity of the game was added to when Railway won a number of penalty corners but, fortunately for the home side, their keeper Liz Murphy had brought her A game with her and defended her goal expertly. Hermes-Monkstown remain a point behind the league leaders UCD but have a game in hand.

Ards 2 (T Macleod, C Brown) Ulster Elks 1 (D Wilson)

Third quarter goals from Tamara Macleod and Chloe Brown saw Ards win their Ulster derby with Ulster Elks 2-1 to keep alive their chances of a late push for a Champions Trophy playoff place.

The home team started the stronger, with a larger share of possession, but little goal scoring threat. The best chance of the quarter fell to Brown, when she intercepted a ball just outside the 23, drove into the circle and unleashed a reverse stick shot which was well saved.

Elks came into the game a little more, winning two short corners late in the first half and a reverse strike that Naomi McKnight saved well.

Ards sprang to life in the second half, going ahead a minute in. Macleod saw her initial shot saved, but the rebound fell to Brown 10 yards out and she made no mistake. The hosts were flying at this stage with Lucy McKee was then denied twice in the space of a minute by the Elks keeper Chrissie McKee.

Ards doubled their lead in the 42nd minute after an Elks defensive error as a loose ball went straight to Macleod, who was unmarked in the circle. She drove towards goal, and managed to force the ball into the net in spite of the best McKee efforts.

The final quarter of the game saw few chances with Elks finally getting a goal back in the last minute, Danni Wilson forcing home from close range. Ards are five points off the playoff places but have a game in hand on fourth place Loreto.

Loreto 0 Pegasus 1 (R McMillan)

Rachel McMillan’s single strike saw Pegasus reignite the race for the fourth women’s EYHL Champions Trophy playoff place as they recorded a narrow 1-0 away win at Beaufort.

In a frantic start by both sides, a marker was certainly put down in the midfield between Lizzie Colvin and Alex Speers. Pegasus showed some shrewd moments in the opening exchanges and duly won a short corner with McMillan scoring well for what proved the only goal.

Into the second quarter, Loreto came out with some real purpose as Ali Meeke linked up well with Freya McDermott. Pegasus were showing some real resilience and a well organised defence keeping Loreto at bay, Hannah Grieve putting in a very strong performance and leading the Pegasus defence well.

Pegasus rallied in the third quarter as Rosie Henderson and Katie McKee were getting into some nice midfield positions and giving Loreto some headaches. The Dublin side were on the rack for a few minutes and, but for some solid defending from Sinead McGirr and awareness by goalkeeper Louisa Healy, the score might have doubled in Pegasus's favour.

Going into the final quarter, Loreto sought to grab something from the game with Meeke’s hard running and Nikki Keegan working tirelessly but could not find a way through.

Pegasus were starting to exploit holes in a tiring Loreto team on the counter, Speers hurting Loreto's midfield. Hannah Mathews dealt with the oncoming barrage but no equaliser was forthcoming. Loreto remain fourth but are just two points ahead of Pegasus who have a game in hand.

UCD 4 (D Duke 2, K Mullan, S O’Loughlin) Pembroke 1 (E Horan)

UCD retained their narrow lead at the top of the women’s EY Hockey League with all the goals coming in the first half at Belfield. Katie Mullan put UCD in front with her 13th goal of the season, dragging home a penalty corner in the 14th minute.

Deirdre Duke then continued her excellent run of form since returning from injury, scoring after she set in motion a great move, picking out Sarah Patton on the endline. She drew the goalkeeper before slipping the ball back to Duke to finish nicely.

The second quarter started with a quick exchange of goals. Duke sent a ball across the circle to Sarah O’Loughlin who got a lovely touch in front of the keeper for 3-0.

Pembroke won a series of short corners and Eanna Horan scored from the end line from a well worked routine. But, a minute later, UCD replied through Duke again with a lovely shot from the top of the circle into the bottom corner for a 4-1 half-time lead.

The second half was more circumspect with both teams reduced to 10 players at different times during the third quarter. Short corners were won at both ends but these were well defended.

With Pembroke reduced to 10 again, UCD had some attacking chances in the closing stanza but the Pembroke defence was strong with a number of good saves from the Pembroke keeper.

UCD retain their slender one-point lead at the top over Hermes-Monkstown while are in ninth place in the relegation playoff place

Irish Hockey Association media release

Irish Men's EY Hockey League Weekend Round Up

Credit: Rowland White/PressEye

The leading trio in the men’s EY Hockey League – Banbridge, Three Rock Rovers and Lisnagarvey – put daylight between themselves and the chasers for the three automatic EYHL Champions Trophy playoff places.

Lisnagarvey were the big winners, seeing off fourth placed Cork C of I 6-1 at Comber Road with a breathtaking first half performance. Matthew Nelson set them on their way in the fifth minute and further strikes from Daniel Buser, Sean Murray and James Lorimer helped them build a 5-1 half-time advantage. Timmy Cockram completed the rout.

The result sees them stay in third place, four points ahead of C of I and 10 clear of Monkstown who have two games in hand.

Three Rock continued their excellent run of form with a sixth successive win as they came from 2-0 down to beat Town 3-2 at Grange Road. That run includes beating each of the other sides in the top five.

Kyle Good and Gareth Watkins had Monkstown in great shape with twin cracking strikes for a 2-0 lead with 20 minutes remaining. But Kevin Mullins got Rovers on the board before a pair of Luke Madeley – a day before his 21st birthday – drag flicks turned the game around. His second came with six minutes to go to crown the win.

Banbridge eased to a 4-1 win over Pembroke to maintain their lead at the top of the table, two points clear of Rovers. Eugene Magee continued his scoring streak with the opener before Jonny McKee added two and Ross Beattie got a contentious fourth goal before Alan Sothern nabbed a late consolation for Pembroke.

UCD finally ended their seven-game losing streak to record a crucial 3-2 win over Railway Union to move back out of the relegation playoff position. They had trailed 2-1 to strikes from Rob Devlin and Peter Catchpole but defenders Ben Campbell and Ben McCrea added to a goal from former Railway man Jeremy Duncan to turn things around.

Glenanne, meanwhile, netted four second half goals to beat Instonians 4-0 and strenghten their chances of avoiding any relegation issues, Shane O’Donoghue scoring a pair in the win.

EY Hockey League, day 14 results: Lisnagarvey 6 (M Nelson 2, D Buser, J Lorimer, T Cockram, S Murray) Cork C of I 1 (A Gray); Three Rock Rovers 3 (L Madeley 2, K Mullins) Monkstown 2 (K Good, G Watkins); Banbridge 4 (J McKee 2, E Magee, R Beattie) Pembroke 1 (A Sothern); Glenanne 4 (S O’Donoghue 2, G Shaw, R Couse) Instonians 0; Railway Union 2 (R Devlin, P Catchpole) UCD 3 (J Duncan, B Campbell, B McCrea)

Day 14 extended reports

Lisnagarvey 6 (M Nelson 2, D Buser, J Lorimer, T Cockram, S Murray) Cork C of I 1 (A Gray)

Lisnagarvey made a big statement in the race for the three automatic EY Champions Trophy playoff places as they beat their nearest rivals Cork C of I 6-1 at Comber Road.

Matthew Nelson broke the deadlock just a few minutes into the tie before Daniel Buser’s slightly miscued finished found its way in, too, for a 2-0 lead at quarter-time.

The second quarter saw Garvey move further ahead with a goal by Sean Murray in the 21st minute before Cork Church of Ireland pulled one back with Andy Gray – back after a lengthy spell out with a broken hand – getting the final touch.

But Garvey effectively put the game out of reach by half time with two more goals through Nelson's second followed by a James Lorimer PC drag flick, extending out a 5-1 advantage.

The third quarter was a cagey affair with no clear cut chances for either side despite C of I going down to nine players for a spell. Timmy Cockram capped the victory with a corner goal in the closing quarter to see out a 6-1 win.

Garvey stay three points off top spot in third place behind Banbridge, albeit with a game extra played than Bann and Three Rock Rovers, the other side ahead of them.

Banbridge 4 (J McKee 2, E Magee, R Beattie) Pembroke 1 (A Sothern)

Banbridge continue to lead the way thanks to a confident 4-1 win over Pembroke at Havelock Park with Jonny McKee providing a double to continue his excellent season.

The Co Down side broke the deadlock when Matthew Bell’s monster overhead led to a penalty corner. Eugene Magee’s first up drag-flick was saved but he adapted his body brilliantly to thrash home the rebound.

Pembroke rallied and won a corner of their own that Gareth Lennox saved while another couple of Bann set-pieces were kept out. From the fourth corner for the hosts – early in the second quarter – Bell disguised a drag to the right post where McKee guided home for 2-0.

The third goal arrived in the third quarter when Magee beat Harry Spain to a through ball down the right wing, twisted back inside the defender and crossed on the backhand for McKee to touch in his second.

The fourth came soon after but was hotly contested. Jake Rowe made the incision down the left wing before getting the ball across into the centre where Ross Beattie arrived to slide a first-time backhand shot into the roof of the goal. Pembroke argued the cross came via Rowe’s foot but their protests fell on deaf ears.

Alan Sothern got a consolation drag-flick for Pembroke in the closing few minutes as Pembroke remain in a share of fifth place with Monkstown but 10 points off the playoff places.

Three Rock Rovers 3 (L Madeley 2, K Mullins) Monkstown 2 (K Good, G Watkins)

Luke Madeley's pair of penalty corners saw Three Rock Rovers come from two goals down to win their sixth EY Hockey League game in succession, keeping them within a couple of points of league leaders Banbridge.

In an open game throughout, Rovers had a couple of gilt-edged chances inside the first minute as Mitch Darling's cross-shot skimmed past the right post while Harry Morris won a corner that Max Maguire saved off the line. Nick Dee also deflected away another drag off the line but, for the most part, Monkstown were the side in greater control of possession and had the majority of the attacks.

They went in front in the tenth minute when Lee Cole's 45 degree pass from left back found Kyle Good on the right of the circle and he powered home a very impressive opening goal. They also had corner chances to extend their advantage but Jamie Carr kept them out, keeping the gap at the minimum going into half-time.

Town did, however, double up in the 43rd minute via Gareth Watkins as he posted up at the top of the circle and boomed home a brilliant reverse-stick effort into the top corner for a 2-0 lead.

Rovers responded with greater control over the ball with Jody Hosking getting things moving on his return from illness. They got one back via Kevin Mullins' fifth league goal of the season, finishing off from a Hosking cross after the diminutive midfielder robbed possession and squared.

On the three quarter time whistle, Town got pinged for a deliberate foot in the 23m area which handed Rovers a corner chance which Madeley nailed into the bottom corner. And he duly scored the winner with six minutes remaining, this time going the high road to continue Rovers' strong recent run. For Town, they are playing catch-up for the playoff places after a fourth successive league defeat.

Glenanne 4 (S O’Donoghue 2, G Shaw, R Couse) Instonians 0

Shane O’Donoghue’s pair of goals – amid a brilliant second half performance – saw Glenanne score an important win in the battle to avoid the relegation playoff place as Instonians fall deeper under pressure.

Both teams settled into a half court with neither side making any headway in the opening quarter. Glenanne managed to win a couple of corners but the Inst keeper Sam Brown stood tall to deny the lead.

The second quarter was similar fare with both defences holding firm to half-time, locked at 0-0.

Glenanne stepped up right from the start of the second half and took the lead through Richard Couse with a smart finish with a strong flick to the back of the net. O’Donoghue doubled the Glens advantage with a smart reverse strike. And the Tallaght side could have extended their lead but for some fine goalkeeping.

Instonians tried hard to get back into the game and but for some fine goalkeeping from the Leo Micklem and a miraculous diving save from Stephen Brownlow on the goal line the Glens retained their lead.

After weathering the storm, Glenanne opened up and created multiple opportunities. From one superb passage of play, Neil Byrne hit the post and a series of goal line saves kept it at 2-0.

However, Inst conceded again when a smart play by Cillian O’Neill set up Gary Shaw for a good finish. And the fine second half performance when O’Donoghue converted a corner low to the keepers right.

Railway Union 2 (R Devlin, P Catchpole) UCD 3 (J Duncan, B Campbell, B McCrea)

UCD finally ended their seven-game losing streak to record a crucial 3-2 win over Railway Union to move back out of the relegation playoff position. They had trailed 2-1 to strikes from Rob Devlin and Peter Catchpole but defenders Ben Campbell and Ben McCrea added to a goal from former Railway man Jeremy Duncan to turn things around.

Irish Hockey Association media release

Three sides in the mix for Irish league title

The Irish EY Hockey League looks set to be a three-horse race when it returns in late March with EHL sides Banbridge and Lisnagarvey battling it out with Three Rock Rovers for the crown.

Bann eased to a 4-1 win over Pembroke on Saturday with Jonny McKee scoring twice, adding to goals from Eugene Magee and Ross Beattie. It means they lead the way by two points from surprise package Three Rock Rovers.

The Dublin side came from 2-0 down to beat Monkstown 3-2 with Luke Madeley (pictured celebrating his winning goal) scoring two corners in the closing 18 minutes to earn their sixth successive victory, including wins over each of the other four sides in the top five.

Their looks to be the easier run-in with three of their five remaining games against the sides who occupy the bottom two places.

Lisnagarvey bounced back from a defeat a week ago to beat fourth place Cork C of I 6-1 with teenager Matthew Nelson – recently called into the Irish squad – scoring twice in the first half.

They are three points back from Banbridge but have played an extra game compared to the two teams ahead of them in the table. Cork drop to seven points off the lead in fourth placed.

Euro Hockey League media release

Western Jaguars win hockey play-offs to regain top league status


Mike Malungu (left) of Western Jaguars celebrate a goal against Multimedia University with teammates during their play-off match at City Park Stadium on February 25, 2017. Jaguars won the play-off tourney to seal their place in the 2017 top flight men's league. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Western Jaguars men’s hockey club survived relegation after winning a four-team play-off that ended on Sunday at the City Park Stadium.

The Kakamega-based side, who had finished bottom of their pool in last season’s Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League, beat Mvita XI 4-0 in their final match. The victory saw them regain their Premier League status after winning all their three matches.

Jaguars also beat Multimedia University 3-1 and Bay Club of Kisumu 4-0.

The three-day play-off, which featured the four clubs, was organised after Wazalendo Youth declined promotion to the top flight after finishing second in last season’s second tier league behind champions Technical University of Kenya (TUK).

Goals from Mike Malungu, Ken Ashimasi, Kevin Machinji and Ian Bayani handed Jaguars an emphatic win and passage back to top flight hockey.

Player coach Mike Malungu led his teammates in celebrations at the final whistle. He told the team to show the same fighting spirit in the new season set to begin this weekend.

“This is a glorious chance to seek redemption after a dismal outing last year. We were not going to let it pass and the players gave their all. It feels good to be back in the Premiership,” a delighted Malungu told Nation Sport on Sunday.

“We have got to show the same fighting spirit this season if we are to survive, and even target a top five finish.”

After a closely contested opening 30 minutes, Jaguars finally opened the scoring when Malungu completed a swift move, blasting the ball past Mvita keeper Suleiman Hajji for a 1-0 half time lead.

Jaguars pinned down their opponents in the second half as they poured forward in search of more goals.

They duly doubled their advantage in the 44th minute when Ashimasi scored another field goal, lobbing the ball past the on-rushing Hajji.

Jaguars, understandably, resorted to keeping possession but still managed two more field goals.

Multimedia, who finished third in last season’s second tier league, finished in second place with four points while Bay Club, who were also relegated from the top flight last season, were placed third with two points with Mvita finishing bottom on one point.

The 2017 season is expected to start this weekend.

Daily Nation

Jaguars survive by the skin of their teeth

By Elizabeth Mburugu

Wazalendo Steve Liyaya(l)and Western Jaguar Ken Ashimasi fight for the ball when they played Premier Men at City-park yesterday. ON 15/10/2016 PHOTO: JENIPHER WACHIE ON 15/10/2016 PHOTO: JENIPHER WACHIE

Western Jaguars secured their place in the Kenya Hockey Union men's Premier League after winning the four-team playoffs at City Park Stadium at the weekend.

Jaguars had been relegated following their dismal show last season, but got a reprieve after Wazalendo Youth turned down a promotion offer to the top tier.

Battling for the single slot alongside Jaguars were Bay Club of Kisumu and Mvita XI of Mombasa, who were relegated in 2016 and 2015. Multimedia University (MMU) was the fourth team in the promotion battle. The Rongai-based students finished third behind winners Technical University of Kenya (TUK) and Wazalendo Youth in the national league. TUK took their elevation with pride, while Wazalendo Youth opted to remain in the lower tier.

Jaguar, who are based in Kakamega, then made good use of their second chance as they won their round-robin matches to seal a place in the premier league. Jaguars player, who also doubles up as their coach, Michael Malungu, said signs of playing in the lower league were evident, but when a chance for redemption came their way, they were not ready to let it go.

"We finished second-last in the 2016 season, which left us with no choice, but to fight for promotion in the lower league because demotion was inevitable. However, when we were given a second chance, we vowed to make it count; play our hearts out and reclaim our place in top flight hockey," Malungu told Feverpitch.

He added that having created a place for themselves in the highly competitive premier league, they will now strategise on their game plan ahead of the new season, which begins early next month.

"We now shift focus to our plan for the new season because we have to come up with a working strategy so as to avoid finding ourselves in a similar difficult situation like last season."

Determined to stay in the country's top league, Jaguars launched their campaign on a high as they defeated Bay 4-0. They beat MMU 3-1 in their second match, before sealing their continued premier league stay with a 4-0 drubbing of Mvita.

Mvita struggled in all their matches, their best show being a 1-1 draw against Bay. MMU lost to Jaguars to finish second.

The Standard Online

Experience could prove vital factor in Canadian bid for titles

Sarah Juggins

Canada - 2015 Pan American Games   

A tournament on home soil, the chance to reach the Hockey World League (HWL) Semi-Finals and a shot at qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, the stakes couldn’t be much higher for the Canadian women’s team as they enter the last stages of preparation before the HWL R2 event, which springs into action on 1 April.

It is a scenario many of the team has faced before. Two years ago, Canada found themselves facing some of the top 10 teams in the world as they competed at the HWL Semi-Finals in Valencia. On that occasion, the team finished in ninth position, just one place ahead of fellow PAHF team, Uruguay.

That the team learnt a lot from that experience was plain to see when they participated in the prestigious Hawkes Bay Tournament in New Zealand and shocked Korea (ranked ninth in the world) by defeating them 2-1.

Danielle Hennig, who has been a member of the team that experienced the highs and lows of the past few seasons, took some time out of training to tell us about the preparations: “Our team’s ultimate goal is to qualify for the World Cup, so we know we need to finish top two at HWL2 in Vancouver. Our main focus though is just performing well throughout the entire tournament because we know, if we do that, we can accomplish our goals. We also have extra motivation playing on home turf in front of friends and family as that is a very rare occurrence for us”.

The defender, who has more than 120 caps for her country added: “As for what we learned from HWL3 in Valencia, I guess just taking confidence that we can and have made it through to round three before is a powerful thing. From there we've used those games, and what maybe let us down, to shape the past two years of training and competition. We have been constantly refining and improving our game.”

“We feel confident that we've made big strides in our game and are closing the gap on top teams and will be able to compete and accomplish our goal of qualifying for the World Cup.”

In preparation for HWLR2, the squad has recently been on a tour to Australia, where they played an eight match series against the highly-regarded state team, the Queensland Scorchers. Among the ranks for the Australian premier league team are several of the Australian national team, including hot-shot drag flicker Jodie Kenny, plus Kirstin Dwyer, Tegan Richards and Madison Fitzpatrick.

The tour was beneficial in every way. The results were good: four wins, two draws and two losses and the trip was a chance for the team to bond and get used to tournament conditions.

Another stalwart of the Canadian team, Kate Wright, who has represented Canada more than 150 times, said: “We’re really excited. It’s a short turnaround before World League, but I think we have a really good foundation moving forward from the Gold Coast. I think the tour of Australia really set us up for complete focus.”

“Our number one goal is to qualify for World League Three,” Wright adds. “But there are some big steps in place to do that; coming first or second.”

With the Canada women’s HWLR2 roster expected to be named mid-March, the women have just a few weeks to compete among themselves for the chance to compete on home soil and prepare to fight for 2018 World Cup qualification.

For Canada men, the challenge comes even sooner. The Red Caribou will be one of  five Pan American teams lining up in Trinidad and Tobago to do battle for the two top spots and automatic qualification for the HWLR3.

“We have returned to a centralised program now,” says midfielder Taylor Curran, who is looking to add to his 121 caps. “From the fall until now, the guys have been doing their own thing and it was a bit fragmented but now we have come together and we have all these new guys and there is a lot of fresh energy, which is great.”

At just 25, Taylor is a veteran of the team. He made his debut for the senior team in 2009 and was on the roster for the 2010 World Cup. Now he is one of a number of the younger players who, he says, “are ready to step up, set an example more and take a new role, a leadership role, within the squad.”

Forward Iain Smythe also made his debut in 2009 and has more than 130 caps to his name. Like Taylor, this includes two silver medals from the 2011 and 2015 Pan American Games and of course a place on the team that qualified and participated in the 2016 Olympics.

Smythe says the new campaign offers a new challenge, and not just from the opposition: “This is a new group and there are new guys trying to take my spot. Good on them, but I’m just going to push on myself and push a few goals in and try to take a bigger role.

“We have a good chance. We will play the way Canada plays, we will concentrate upon the simple things, play hard, not stall – I think we have a great shot.”

Hockey World League Round Two is part of the qualification process for the 2018 Men’s and Women’s Hockey World Cups to be held in India and London respectively.

The top two teams at HWLR2 in Trinidad and Tobago and Canada will advance to the Hockey World League Semi-Finals. The third placed teams at each venue will also still have a chance of qualification if either team’s ranking place is higher than the third place finishers at earlier HWLR2 events.

Two women’s HWLR2 events have already taken place, with Ireland, Malaysia, Spain and Poland qualifying. Scotland, (ranked 17th in the world) and Italy (ranked 15th) finished third in their respective events, so their rankings will prove all important when the action stops at West Vancouver.

Canada men start their campaign with a tough opening fixture against the USA on 25 March. They then play Chile and Barbados in the pools before the competition moves to the quarter final stages.

The women will face Mexico in their opening game on 1 April. They then play Chile and Trinidad and Tobago.

Pan American Hockey Federaion media release

Black Sticks to take on USA in Rangiora

Photo: www.photosport.nz

The Vantage Black Sticks Women are set to play two tests against USA on the brand new turf at the Waimakariri Hockey Stadium in Rangiora next month.

Games on the 25th and 26th March will also serve as the first time a New Zealand senior international team of any sport has played in North Canterbury.

It will be fitting celebration for the venue’s new turf, which is the same surface played on at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games and was opened just last week.

The new turf was built by Polytan for the Waimakariri District Council with its location on the north-east side of town becoming a sports hub with cricket, football, golf, BMX, mountain biking, equestrian and polo facilities nearby, as well as the local high school of over 1,800 students.

The Vantage Black Sticks Women (ranked 5th in the world) are fresh off their test series against Argentina in Buenos Aires and will use these games against USA (ranked 6th) as valuable preparation for the Vantage Hawke’s Bay Cup the following weekend.

Canterbury Hockey CEO Rod Templeton is excited to have the opportunity to bring top international hockey to the region.

“We are excited to showcase our Vantage Black Sticks Women against the highly ranked USA team in Canterbury. To be able to take the test matches to the Waimakariri District and its brand new turf is fantastic, and only made possible because of the great support from the council, our local clubs (Rangiora & Hinemoa-Kaiapoi) and the North Canterbury Sports & Recreation Trust.

“With the tests being the weekend before our winter season starts, coupled with the new turf, we are really building towards a huge 2017 for Canterbury Hockey. Thanks to Hockey New Zealand for their support in making this possible.”

The Waimakariri District has two local hockey clubs which are amongst the oldest in the country - Hinemoa-Kaiapoi Hockey Club and Rangiora Hockey Club.

Kaiapoi was the first place in New Zealand to have both men’s and women’s hockey clubs, starting in 1895, and has maintained a grass playing turf on the same site in Kaiapoi Park for 120 years.

The Rangiora Hockey Club started in 1898 and rapid population growth in Rangiora and Waimakariri in recent years, in a large part due to displacement after the earthquakes, has seen huge growth in recent years.

Presale tickets for both tests will go sale at 9am this Wednesday through www.blacksticks.co.nz with the Black Sticks team to compete in the series to be named in March.

Waimakariri Hockey Stadium, Rangiora

Saturday 25th March                   
3.00pm - Vantage Black Sticks Women v USA (Game 1)

Sunday 26th March                                       
3.00pm - Vantage Black Sticks Women v USA (Game 2)

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Black Sticks to play Pakistan at Wairarapa's Clareville Complex in March


Two tests against Pakistan will mark the first time the Black Sticks men's side has played in Wairarapa. Andrew Cornaga

Hockey lovers are in for a treat with some of the best players in the world set to run out at the Clareville Complex in March.

Pakistan are in New Zealand for a five-test series with three games taking place in Wellington - March 17, 18 and 20 - and the last two in Wairarapa on March 22 and 23.

Wairarapa Hockey executive officer Kelly Govan said it  was delighted the two teams would be playing two tests in Wairarapa.

Wairarapa Hockey hopes to hold more international matches in future. PHOTOSPORT

Govan said it would be a huge challenge in a short timeframe but Waihockey was confident the team involved would pull things together to ensure the event ran smoothly.

There is a banner competition to decide who gets to meet and greet the Black Sticks and a trivia quiz will decide which youngsters get to warm down with them after their first game on March 22.

"Applications [through Waihockey] are also open for anyone interested in being selected to be a ball boy or flag bearer," Govan said.

"We hope to recreate the same brilliant atmosphere here at Clareville as we did when the Black Sticks women played the USA back in 2014. It is exciting news for the community.

"This will be the first time the men have played in the region and all local sports fans should relish the opportunity to watch under lights what are sure to be skilful, high-speed games between two world-class teams."


Third turf could be coming for Waikato Hockey fraternity

There's a 10.15pm or later finish for some training sessions at the Gallagher Hockey Centre, a coach's submission said. CHRIS HILLOCK/FAIRFAX NZ

Late-night hockey trainings could be out and national tournaments in if a Hamilton turf expansion gets the go-ahead.

The existing two turfs at Hamilton Lake are under pressure, but Hamilton City Council may give the hockey community space for a third.

The idea would be investigated in the next one to three years if council's Draft Lake Domain Management Plan is approved.

A third turf would mean Waikato Hockey Association had the facilities for national tournaments, chief executive Declan Wyndham-Smith said. FAIRFAX NZ

Hockey players can't wait, as the lack of space means some training sessions currently finish at or after 10.15pm.

The Waikato has about 4400 hockey players, councillors were told at a plan hearing meeting on Thursday.

"We're a sport that has really been growing out of all proportion over the last few years and we do struggle for venues and facilities as hockey's played on a turf rather than grass these days," Waikato Hockey Association chief executive Declan Wyndham-Smith said.

Players use two turfs at the Gallagher Hockey Centre and there are also agreements with schools, but the association had asked for extra space at Lake Rotoroa to build another turf.

Wyndham-Smith thanked councillors for including that in the draft plan, saying a third turf would help with growth and provide facilities suitable for national tournaments.

Multiple written submissions backed the hockey expansion, with one saying it was madness not to do it.

And a development team coach who didn't give a name wrote of training sessions that finish after 10.15pm each week.

"The late trainings are a real issue as there are a number of younger players in my team that require transport from parents or are on their restricted licences, which is simply not viable for everyone and I have had several players simply give up."

The move would affect other sports - a football field would have to move and Hamilton Cricket Association would lose an artificial wicket. However, the cricket association is happy to seek council help to set up a new one somewhere else.

Waikato Hockey also asked for an alternative exit from its centre.

"You can turn left or right [at the Mary Street exit], but basically if you turn right it takes a long, long time so everyone who wants to turn left is backed up," Wyndham-Smith said.

He suggested a route back through Innes Common, but council staffers didn't support the idea because it would affect the park's character.

Not everyone was in favour of more hockey space, though.

Those behind a submission from the Hodgson family and friends thought keeping open spaces for all at Lake Rotoroa was more important.

Bryce and Grant Hodgson strongly objected to the hockey expansion, saying fencing created a "permanent exclusion" for a special interest group - and to the suggestion of a fenced dog park.

The Draft Lake Domain Management Plan will go before the Community and Services Committee in March.


Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author