Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 09 October 2016

All the news for Sunday 9 October 2016

Uruguay wins 2016 Women’s South American Championship and Hockey World League Round 1 in Chiclayo, Peru

2016 South American Championship & World League R1 (field hockey) – Chiclayo, Peru – 08 Oct 2016 - Uruguay vs. Chile. Photo: Talia Vargas - PanAm Hockey

Maria Teresa Viana Ache’s has game winner against Chile; and Brazil has a goal in each half to beat host Peru on the last day of the Women’s South American Championship / Hockey World League Round 1. Uruguay and Chile will advance to the FIH Hockey World League Round 2 to be held in Vancouver, Canada, 1st-9th April 2017.


A TOKEN OF APPRECIATION to the Peruvian Hockey Federation for hosting the South American Championships 2016, presented by Mrs. Laura Macchiotti, PAHF Events and Development Coordinator to Mr. Gianni Delucchi, President of Peruvian Hockey Federation

Goalkeeper of the tournament: Andrea GOMES BERNARDES of Brazil, presented by Mr. David Ruiz, Member of the Organizing Committee for FIH Hockey World League Round 1, Chiclayo

Top scorer: Francisca TALA of Chile, presented by Mr. Gianni Delucchi, President of Peruvian Hockey Federation

Player of the tournament: Camila CARAM of Chile, presented by Mr. Leandro Negre, President of International Hockey Federation

Junior player of the tournament: Teska TUJIT (GK) of Brazil, presented by Mr. Leandro Negre, President of International Hockey Federation

Final standings:

    1. URUGUAY
    2. CHILE
    3. BRAZIL
    5. PERU

Please also check the Pan American Hockey Federation’s website for the Women’s competition for match and award photos and post-match interviews and more: http://www.panamhockey.org/en/competitions-54-2016-south-american-championships-women-

On the final day of the Women’s Competition, Uruguay and Chile met; and then Brazil and host Peru

Peru-Brazil (0-2)

In the final tournament match, Brazil played host Peru. The match started with play down in Brazil’s attacking end. Brazil earned the first penalty corner of the match in the 9th minute off a hard penalty corner shot by Karolina Sluis. Brazil continued to dominate possession, but Peru played with excellent positioning to keep play largely in the midfield and Brazil out of their attacking circle. In the 18th minute, Brazil had their next scoring opportunity, but Peru’s keeper Chiara Conetta came out to challenge the play and the cross by Helena Betolaza narrowly missed the goal. Peru then regained possession and Peru’s Malen Moccagatta ran fast into her team’s attacking circle. Peru’s Ximena Ardiles had a shot on goal go wide. Peru kept pressuring on attack. Peru’s Camila Mendez had a good run down the right side of the pitch.  Yet, both teams had trouble putting together more than a few passes throughout the first half.

The second half again started with Brazil quickly on attack. Brazil worked the ball around their circle as Anita Rodiguez found Jacqueline Peyloubet who put her team ahead by two goas in the 38th minute. Brazil then earned a penalty corner, but Peru’s Adelaida Oleachea rushed out fast on defense and came up with the ball. Brazil kept up their attacking pressure and earned another penalty corner a couple minutes later. Peru’s Keeper Conetta stopped two shots by Brazil’s Sluis to keep Brazil from quickly increasing their lead. Brazil kept looking to attack and Mayara Fedrizzi blasted a shot on goal. Again, Conetta came up with the big save to keep the score Brazil 2, Peru 0. Midway through the second half, Brazil earned another penalty corner. Brazil’s Eveline Beljon hit a hard penalty corner shot from the top of the circle that just barely missed the goal cage. Then Betolaza worked the ball inside, but lost the ball off the endline.

Play continued to be in Brazil’s attacking half and Brazil continued to apply attacking pressure near their attacking circle. Betolaza had another shot go just wide late in the second half. Peru kept playing strong defense. And Conetta kept coming out to challenge. Brazil then had another penalty corner, but Peru’s defense broke up the play. Brazil regained possession and Conetta kept coming out to challenge. With Peru able to keep strong positioning to prevent Brazil from scoring again in the match, Brazil came away with the two goal win over Peru.

Uruguay-Chile (1-0)

The match started with both teams battling for possession. The match was quiet in the sense that both teams held each other without scoring opportunities during the beginning of the match. In the 8th minute, Chile earned the first penalty corners of the match. The first penalty corner shot by Chile’s Denise Krimerman was saved by Uruguay’s keeper Rosanna Pasalle; and Chile failed to get a shot off the second penalty corner play. Chile maintained possession, however, near their attacking circle. Four minutes later, Chile earned another penalty corner, but Pasalle again came up big to save the shot by Carolina Garcia to keep the match scoreless. The Chilean men’s team continued to cheer loudly in the stands.

Uruguay’s first real attacking opportunity in the match came in the 15th minute when Maltilde Kliche had a break away. Uruguay rushed into their attacking circle, but Manuela Vilar’s shot was saved by Chile’s keeper Natalia Salvador. The Uruguay men’s team then started cheering loudly from the stands. For the rest of the half, the match continued with both teams intensely fighting for possession and denying each other more scorning opportunities. Evident of the match intensity, Chile’s Fernanda Flores received a green card in the 25th minute. Uruguay persisted on attack, but Chile played strong defense to prevent Uruguay a shot on goal during the green card to Flores and a green card to Carolina Garcia in the 29th minute. Thus, 30 minutes into the match the match remained scoreless. During the final minutes of the first half, the crowd returned to cheering loudly for both teams. Uruguay’s center back defender Agustina Nieto played extremely strong defense in the final minutes to prevent Chile from taking a shot on goal, as play shifted towards Chile’s attacking circle. As a result, the score at halftime remained Uruguay 0, Chile 0.

At the start of the second half, Uruguay rushed on to attack and Uruguay’s Maria Teresa Viana Ache gave her team the lead in the 36th minute. The crowd erupted.  Chile then maintained possession for the next 15 minutes keeping play in their attacking half. Uruguay, however, played with incredibly strong positioning to keep Chile from having a shot on goal during this time. The crowd kept cheering for both teams. In 50th minute Vilar received a green card. Chile looked to capitalize, and in the 51st minute, Chile’s Carolina Garcia had a shot go wide. Then Uruguay was able to get the ball down near their attacking circle for the first time since they scored at the beginning of the half. Vilar came back in the match and had another shot saved by Salvador in the 54th minute.

Chile earned the first penalty corner of the second half in the 57th minute that led immediately into another penalty corner. Uruguay played extremely strong defense to prevent both Denise Krimerman and Captain Camila Caram from getting shots off the penalty corners. Chile kept trying to pressure on attack and earned another penalty corner in the 62nd minute. Pasalle came up huge for Uruguay to block the penalty corner shot by Krimerman to keep the score Uruguay 1, Chile 0. In the 66th minute, Chile substituted keeper Salvador with Caram as a kicking back; and put in an extra player. Uruguay continued to play extremely strong defense and held Chile without another shot. Thus, Uruguay came away with the close win over Chile.

Pan American Hockey Federation media release

Juniors hold Seniors 2-2 in first match

In the first fixture of the 3 Match series between the probables for  Pakistan's national senior and the under 21 sides, the junior string surprised the national team by playing a 2-2 draw at the Hockey Stadium, Johar Town, Lahore.

In the 60 minute match of four quarters. It were the seniors who struck first. Arsalan Qadir put them ahead in the 26th minute. The lead was soon doubled when Aleem Bilal converted a penalty corner after five minutes.

The juniors, who might have been under pressure, facing the national side players, recovered well and immediately reduced the margin also via a penalty corner in the 33rd minute. Mubashir Ali was the scorer.

A fiercely fought encounter ensued but no more goals arrived. When it seemed the senior boys would go home victorious, the under 21 side gained a penalty corner in the last minute. Once again, Mubashar found the net with a strong high push and the thriller ended in a draw.

It is pertinent to mention that these matches have been given the status of trials for both the squads.

The management of the two sides is giving chance to all the probables

National Senior team would be participating in the Asian Champions Trophy, starting in Kuanton, Malaysia from October 21. While the under 21side  travels to Johor Baru, also in Malaysia, for Sultan of Johor Cup (October 31-November 1).

Sunday, the two sides meet again.

PHF Media release

Victorian Vikings Victorious

Holly MacNeil

The Victorian Vikings have won the Australian Hockey League tonight for the first time since 1998 with a 5 – 3 win over the WA Thundersticks.

It was a strong start in the men’s gold medal match of the AHL with Victoria awarded a penalty corner in the opening minutes. Chris Ciriello came through with the goods using his powerful drag flick to give Victoria the advantage.

Home side the WA Thundersticks were not to be taken advantage of and only a minute later, Tim Geers scored a field goal for WA. At minute 13, WA captain Chris Bausor knocked in a penalty corner giving WA the lead.

It wasn’t for long, with Chris Ciriello knocking in his second for the match at minute 15, leaving WA and VIC going into quarter time tied at 2 all.

James Knee followed up with a field goal for Victoria ten minutes into the second quarter, leaving the Victorians going into half time with a 3 – 2 lead over the home team.

Both teams came out of the half time break on a mission, and only a few minutes in, Victoria extended their lead to 4 – 2 courtesy of a field goal from Kiran Arunsalam.

The remainder of the third quarter was fast paced, with both teams gaining a number of chances at goal, however Arunsalam’s remained the sole goal of the term leaving the score going into the final quarter at 4 – 2 in Victoria’s favour.

With seven minutes to go, WA were up for a penalty stroke, with captain Chris Bausor taking the shot and slamming the goal past goalkeeper Johan Durst.

Andrew Philpott came back for Victoria, sneaking a field goal in past WA goalkeeper Tyler Lovell and taking the score to VIC 5 – 3 WA with minutes to go.

Vikings captain Russell Ford said: “It’s been a long time since our last win. We’ve had a lot of disappointment, a lot of semi-final losses, a loss in the final and it’s been the majority of this group with the addition of a few young guys who have come in so it means a lot.”

The bronze medal match took place earlier in the day, with New South Wales coming away with the medal. After an early tussle for the ball, Lachlan Sharpe found himself in the circle without much of the Indian defence and scored the first for the NSW Waratahs with a back hand tomahawk that sailed into the net.

India followed up with a few cracks of their own, however NSW had defence in numbers and nothing could be converted. Simon Orchard went for a shot with seconds to go in the first, but goalkeeper Krishan Bahadur Pathak simply raised a hand to block the goal.

A minute in to the second quarter, and Tom Craig doubled the NSW lead scoring a sneaky field goal from the right of the net. Landon Morley followed up with 4 minutes to go in the first half, taking the Waratahs lead to 3 – nil.

At minute 25, India came back with a chance on a penalty corner, making it look easy Gurjant Singh flicked the ball in with no problem. Landon Morley came out to score another in the third securing the bronze medal for the NSW Waratah witha 5 - 1 final score.

The classification matches for the minor places took place on Saturday, with full results below.

Today’s Results

Gold Medal Match

VIC 5 - 3 WA

Bronze Medal Match

NSW 5 – 1 IND

Final Standings

1. Victorian Vikings
2. WA Thundersticks
3. NSW Waratahs
4. India Junior National Team
5. QLD Blades
6. Malaysia Tigers
7. Tassie Tigers
8. Canberra Lakers
9. NT Stingers
10. SA Hotshots
11. Malaysia Blue
12. New Zealand Futures

Hockey Australia media release

QLD Scorchers take out women’s AHL

Defeat Vic 3 - 2

Holly MacNeil

The Queensland Scorchers have come back from being one down at half time to win their second consecutive Australian Hockey League title over the Victorian Vipers.

The gold medal match kicked off with a penalty corner goal for Victoria seven minutes into the first quarter after a conversion by Hannah Gravenall. Queensland tried to return the call minutes later but Rachael Lynch deflected beautifully.

Going into quarter time and the Vipers maintained their 1 – nil lead.  There were chances for both teams in the second, including a number of missed penalty corners for Victoria, but the score remained the VIC 1 – 0 QLD going into the half time break.

Five minutes into the second half and Queensland had a double shot on a penalty corner. Jodie Kenny came in with some powerful flicks but they couldn’t convert to goals for the reigning champions. With another shot at a penalty corner for Queensland, Savannah Fitzpatrick converted, taking the score to VIC 1 -1 QLD.

Victoria returned with a penalty corner chance, but the trap sent the ball flying high at the top of the circle, and the ball flew back down into Queensland territory. It was an unfortunate move for Victoria, as Rebecca Greiner took the opportunity to crack the ball in for a field goal giving Queensland the lead.

The last few minutes of the match were action packed. Jodie Kenny used her powerful drag flick to net a penalty corner for Queensland right at the beginning of the 60th minute of play, only for Victorian Sophie Taylor to fly down to the opposite end of the pitch and score for Victoria leaving seconds on the clock. 

Queensland Scorchers captain Jodie Kenny said of the win: “It’s back to back titles for us, so we made some history today which is really awesome.

“We didn’t have the best start we probably had about 15 penalty corners against us, but we made it through and defended them well. We really pushed through right to the last minute and we got the win!”

The bronze medal match took place earlier in the day, with New South Wales coming away with the goods over Canberra.

After a mostly quiet first half, Michela Curtis went in for the kill, intercepting the ball from NSW and powerfully flicking it into goal for the Canberra Strikers. The score going into the half time break remained at 1 – 0 in favour of the Strikers.

Into the 37th minute and the Arrows took the chance to fight back with Kate Hanna striking the ball at the net to bag a field goal and get the Arrows on the score board.

Only four minutes later and NSW stole the lead from the ACT, Murphy Allendorf pocketing a field goal from the inside right of the circle. The ACT tried to come back in the very last minute of the game, making a break for the goal, but NSW goalkeeper was all over the net deflecting the goal.

Classification matches for the minor places took place on Saturday, with the full results available below.

Today’s Results
Gold Medal Match
VIC 2 - 3 QLD

Bronze Medal Match
NSW 2 - 1 ACT

Final Standings
1. Queensland Scorchers
2. Victorian Vipers
3. NSW Waratahs
4. Canberra Strikers
5.  WA Diamonds
6.  New Zealand Futures
7. Malaysia Tigresses
8.  Tassie Van Demons
9.  SA Suns
10. NT Pearls

Hockey Australia media release

AHL: Miserable Down Under debut

By Jugjet Singh

THE three Malaysian teams which made their debut in the Australian Hockey League (AHL) fared miserably against club as well as junior sides in Perth.

Malaysian Tigers, the national team minus three players, finished sixth among 12 teams while the Malaysian Blues (back-up squad) only won one match to finish second from the bottom.

The Malaysian women's national team, Tigress, were at the brink of semi-finals and then almost became the Losers Pool champions but broke down on both occasions to end seventh among 10 teams.

Missing from the Tigers were inspector trainees Razie Rahim and Nabil Fiqri and injured Marhan Jalil -- and there was almost a total collapse.

Marhan's ankle injury, picked up during the Malaysia Hockey League, is so bad that we will be out of action for at least six months.

And hopefully Razie and Nabil are released from their training base in Pulapol for the Kuantan Asian Champions Trophy on Oct 20-30.

For, players in the back-up squad would find it difficult to fill their shoes in Kuantan when playing against India, Pakistan, Japan, South Korea and China.

As for the women, coach K. Dharmaraj said: "For my players, this was a golden opportunity in our preparations for the World League. We had two chances to first qualify for the semi-finals, and then finish at the top of the Losers Pool but over enthusiasm and failing to capture the moment when opportunity presents, was the fumbling block."

Dharmaraj will next lead his women into Singapore for the Women's Asian Champions Trophy on Oct 29-Nov 5 where China, India, Japan and South Korea await them.

HOW THEY FARED -- Tigers: Drew 1-1 with New Zealand Futures, lost 5-2 to Queensland Blades, beat NT Stingers 3-1, lost 5-2 to NSW Waratahs, lost 4-1 to  Victorian Vikings, beat Canberra Lakers 3-0 and lost 4-2 to Queensland Blades.

BLUES -- lost 4-2 to India Juniors, lost 2-0 to WA Thundersticks, lost 4-0 to SA Hotshots, lost 3-1 to Canberra Lakers, drew 1-1 with  Tassie Tigers, lost 5-1 to NT Stingers, beat New Zealand Futures 3-0.

TIGRESS -- lost 3-1 to New Zealand Futures, beat NT Pearls 7-1, drew 3-3 with NSW Arrows, beat SA Suns 4-2, lost 6-2 to Victorian Vipers, drew 1-1 with New Zealand Futures and lost 3-1 to  WA Diamonds.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

India juniors go down to NSW Waratahs in Bronze medal play-off

Perth, Australia: India’s Junior Men’s team went down 1-5 to the NSW Waratahs in the Australian Hockey League Bronze medal match today.

The game started off at a fast pace, and India, playing a bit defensively were caught out early by NSW’s quick movement and sharp passing, going to a Lachlan Sharp goal in the 6th minute.The Waratahs’ defence held strong to take them into the first break with the lead.

In the second quarter, the Waratah's Tom Craig hit India with goal in the 16th minute and then Landon Morley in the 23rd minute. India also suffered with Varun Kumar getting a green card immediately after and conceding the numerical advantage. It wouldn’t matter though as Gurjant Singh pegged back NSW’s dominance with a PC conversion in the 25th minute to bring the deficit down to two as they went into halftime.

India had made a turnaround in the semi final against Victoria Vikings, and came out of halftime raring to go. In the semifinal match, juniors had stormed back from a 3-0 deficit courtesy of a Varun Kumar hat trick to take the game to a shootout after regulation time. Perhaps aware of this late surging ability, NSW played cautiously, defending deep and holding the ball for long periods when they did effect turnovers. India rushed hard and were constantly creating circle penetrations but were unable to find the final pass. Right at the end of the quarter NSW’s Landon Morley converted from a PC to take them into the final break leading 4-1.

India came out in the final quarter looking for the comeback but, NSW’s deep lying defensive structure denied them any width and opportunity to do so. The Waratahs capitalised on India’s attacking intent to add another goal to their tally with a counter attack in the final minute of the game via Tom Craig.

Speaking after the game Coach Harender Singh said, “We use the AHL as a preparatory tournament for the Junior World Cup later this year and its is quite heartening to see that the boys have held their own against the teams in the league. At crucial times we have made some small mistakes, but we’d rather make them now and learn and correct them, than in Lucknow in December.”


India Jr. hockey team loses to NSW Waratahs in bronze play-off

PERTH: Indian junior men's hockey team lost 1-5 to NSW Waratahs in the bronze medal match of Australian Hockey League here on Sunday.

The game started off at a fast pace, and India were caught out early by NSW's quick movement and sharp passing, as Lachlan Sharp scored the first goal in the sixth minute.

As the game settled down, the Indians found their rhythm and started distributing the ball fluidly within their ranks. Despite that, the Waratahs defence held strong to take them into the first break with the lead.

In a fast and exciting second quarter, the Waratahs hit India with goals in the 16th minute (Tom Craig) and then in the 23rd minute (Landon Morley).

India also suffered with Varun Kumar getting a green card immediately after and conceding the numerical advantage. It would not matter though as Gurjant Singh pegged back NSW's dominance with a penalty corner conversion in the 25th minute to bring the deficit down to two as they went into halftime.

The Indians came out of halftime raring to go. Perhaps aware of the late surging ability of the Indians, NSW played cautiously, defending deep and holding the ball for long periods when they did effect turnovers.

India constantly created circle penetrations but were unable to find the final pass. Right at the end of the third quarter, NSW's Landon Morley converted from a penalty corner to take them into the final break leading 4-1.

India came out in the final quarter looking for the comeback but NSW's deep lying defensive structure denied them any width and opportunity to do so. The Waratahs capitalised on India's attacking intent to add another goal to their tally with a counter attack in the final minute of the game via Tom Craig.

Speaking after the game, Indian coach Harender Singh said, "We use the AHL as a preparatory tournament for the Junior World Cup later this year and its is quite heartening to see that the boys have held their own against the teams in the league.

"At crucial times we have made some small mistakes, but we would rather make them now and learn and correct them, than in Lucknow in December," he said.

The Times of India

Judgement day in race for KO16 tickets

It’s judgement day at Banbridge as the four tickets to the KO16 will be decided on Super Sunday. Atletic Terrassa and Bromac Kelburne start the day with the Scottish side currently in pole position courtesy of their 3-1 win over Dinamo Kazan.

Due to a road traffic accident delaying arrival at the ground, the match will start five minutes late, getting underway at 9.05am (BST). Atletic welcome back Roc Oliva after suspension in what is a must-win game for the Spanish side.

Next up at 11.15am (BST), UHC Hamburg meet Cardiff & Met with the three-time champions ahead currently on goal difference thanks to a bigger win over Italy’s Amsicora.

A draw is good enough for the Germans; only a win will do for the Welsh champions.

The third game is at 1.30pm (BST) between SV Kampong and Poland’s KS AZS AWF Poznan. The Dutch side will be hotly fancied thanks to their 2-1 win over Holcombe who, in turn, beat AZS AWF 8-1 on Friday evening.

The weekend’s action closes out with the big game from the home perspective. Banbridge will look to back up their win over Saint Germain at 3.45pm (BST) when they face Royal Leopold. The Irish side need a draw to advance while the Belgians know only a win will do.

Pool standings
Pool A (played): 1. Holcombe (2) 6pts (+6) 2. SV Kampong (1) 5pts (+1) 3. KS AZS AWF Poznan (1) 0pts (-7)
Pool B: 1. UHC Hamburg (1) 5pts (+11) 2. Cardiff & Met (1) 5pts (+5) 3. SG Amsicora ASD (2) 0pts (-16)
Pool C: 1. Banbridge (1) 5pts (+2) 2. Royal Leopold (1) 5pts (+1) 3. Saint Germain (2) 2pts (-3)
Pool D: 1. Bromac Kelburne (1) 5pts (+2) 2. Dinamo Kazan (2) 3pts (-2) 3. Atletic Terrassa (1) 2pts (0)

Euro Hockey League media release

Divine de Wijn double as Kampong battle by Holcombe

Sander de Wijn’s second half double saw reigning champions SV Kampong overcome a first half deficit that could have seen them eliminated, bouncing back to win 2-1 against Holcombe.

Speaking about the win, the Dutch star said: “We knew it would be really tough and they have an excellent team with a lot of star players. We made it difficult for ourselves, especially in the first quarters, missing a lot of opportunities before they got a lucky 1-0.

“From there, it was really tough but today I was the lucky one to get the two goals to make a difference. Tomorrow another battle and another win and back to the KO16.

The English side were forced to absorb a huge amount of pressure throughout the tie but they were the side to draw first blood. Sam Ward pounced on a loose ball after a Dan Fox crash ball fell to Nick Bandurak whose shot was saved into the striker’s path.

And the English side held that lead through to the half-time break with a determined defensive effort with Dan Fox underpinning things. Plenty more chances came and went for the Dutch side before they eventually got on the board, a corner shot breaking to Sander de Wijn off a George Pinner save and he nudged home the rebound.

Holcombe, knowing a win would see them advance, advanced in the final quarter and created some of their own openings with Barry Middleton to the fore. But it was de Wijn once more who stole the show when a long corner was worked his way. He peeled off to the left and unleashed a vicious backhand shot to win the day.

And he added that he really enjoyed the occasion: “There was a much bigger crowd than I expected. I hope a lot of people are here for Davey [Harte] because he is one of the best and he deserves it. It’s nice to play to such a good event.”

David Harte was required to pull off a last ditch save to secure the result and, speaking afterwards, he said his side stayed calm despite the tricky circumstances.

“For us, it was about having patience,” he said afterward. “As each quarter went on, we got stronger with more corners and possession. Sometimes those stats don’t win you games but it was great to get the win and a huge complement to how we played.”

Asked about what it was like to play a match in Ireland for the first time since the Olympics, he added: “It’s incredible. I didn’t know what to expect. I had seen photos and videos and heard Banbridge had done a brilliant job of hosting the Irish finals before.

“This is a larger scale and everything we have seen is so positive. The fans, the crowd! To go out in front of a sort of home crowd in the EHL for the first time, it’s a lovely feeling!"

To go through to the KO16, Kampong must now draw or beat AZS AWF Poznan but anything else could see Holcombe take the spot.

Pool A: SV Kampong 2 (S de Wijn 2) Holcombe 1 (S Ward)

Euro Hockey League media release

Youthful UHC’s dozen too much for Amsicora

UHC Hamburg’s young charges showed a clean pair of heels to Italy’s SG Amsicora ASD to put them in pole position to advance from Pool B of EHL ROUND1.

The German side chose to rest both Mortiz Fuerste and goalkeeper Nicolas Jacobi but showed few nerves in stepping up to the mark. Leopold Harms and Lukas Katterbach gave them a 2-0 advantage by the end of the first quarter and they barely looked back.

Further field goals from Carl Alt, Peter Kohl and Oli Korn – providing the experience alongside Jan-Philipp Rabente – stretched the advantage to 5-0 at half-time.

Philip Schmid’s twin corners made it seven before Kohl got his second with a low bullet. Rabente got the ninth with a cracking backhand shot. Tino Teschke made it double figures before Amsicora drew the biggest cheer of the day when they won a penalty stroke which Giaime Carta converted. Katterbach and Teschke completed the victory.

SG Amsicora bow out of the competition in third place in the pool while UHC now need just a draw against Cardiff & Met to advance to the KO16.

Pool B: UHC Hamburg 12 (P Schmid 2, P Kohl 2, L Katterbach 2, T Tescke 2, L Harms, C Alt, O Korn) SG Amsicora ASD 1 (G Carta)

Euro Hockey League media release

Brilliant Bann see off Saint Germain

Banbridge produced a composed defensive performance to see off Saint Germain to the delight of the home crowd at Havelock Park.

It means they need just a draw on Sunday against Royal Leopold to reach the KO16 phase of the competition for the first time.

They got off to a great start with Jonny McKee going close on two occasions before breaking the deadlock when Owen Magee robbed the ball on the left flank and returned it to the centre. McKee was under pressure but showed enough strength to spin the ball into the goal.

Bann’s press was yielding dividends, putting the French side under pressure and earning good counter-attack chances. And they doubled their advantage with the big break closing in, Fraser Mills taking on a long corner and firing across goal with Dane Ward tipping in at the back post.

The second half saw Saint Germain fight back, making numerous good chances with Martin Genestet hitting the post while Gareth Lennox kept out three corners in a row.

Matthew Bell was the crucial defender for Bann who held on to the end, keeping out every chance to record a famous victory.

Speaking afterwards, Banbridge coach Mark Tumilty was thrilled with his side’s efforts.

“I think we deserved it. Gareth [Lennox] made a few good saves but all in all I was pleased with how we managed the game and controlled it. Delighted.

“The crowd has been fantastic, the set-up has been fantastic and so the nerves were a concern before the match but the guys dealt with it. It gives us a great opportunity for tomorrow and that was the objective. For Irish ranking points, hopefully it also will do enough to keep two places in the EHL for next year.

“Some of the kids like Jake Rowe and Kyle Marshall to produce the hockey that they did along with Matthew Bell and Jonny McKee, it was outstanding. An excellent squad performance.

On facing Royal Leopold on Sunday: “2,500 people behind us tomorrow, anything can happen!”

Pool C: Banbridge 2 (J McKee, D Ward) Saint Germain 0

Euro Hockey League media release

Atletic keep KO16 hopes alive with late salvo

Sam Cortes snatched a dramatic late equaliser to keep Atletic Terrassa in the hunt of winning a ticket to the EHL KO16, coming back from 4-2 down to tie 4-4.

Atletic went into the tie as the fancied team and took the lead following a lovely break through the middle, Marc Torrente applying a deft flick to lift the ball up and over Marat Gafarov.

But Dinamo Kazan fought back and swapped the lead with Aleksander Korolev making a brilliant run down the right before laying up to Nikolay Komarov to deflect home.

The Russian side took the lead in the 18th minute when Anton Kornilov took in a pass from Andrey Isaev and coolly slotted a shot under Marc Calzada. Marc Salles gobbled up a rebound to make it 2-2 but Kazan went in ahead at half-time via Nikolay Yankun’s dramatic high drag-flick into the top corner.

Indeed, the Russia side almost went further ahead when they hit the post just before half-time.

And Kornilov gave them an even bigger advantage soon in the 44th minute when he latched onto Komarov’s pass from the right side of the circle, flicking in from close range.

Oriol Malgosa got one back with six minutes to go in messy style, picking up a rebound after Dani Malgosa had hit the post. It set up a dramatic closing few minutes with the tension heightening when Jan Malgosa became the next player to hit the post.

Kazan had their share of nervy moments and were left distraught in the last minute when Cortes’s shot again hit the post but this time, the luck went his way as the ball bounced back in off Gafarov’s foot.

The result means Atletic can advance if they beat Bromac Kelburne on Sunday while the Scottish team need a draw from that game to go through.

For the Spanish side, it was yet another amazing fightback after their heroics in the EHL last season.

“It’s our spirit! It was difficult because we were behind all the time and they are good defenders with their indoor style. In close quarters, they are very good and we had to fight against that. We got the draw and tomorrow we now only need a win [and not extra goals].”

Pool D: Atletic Terrassa 4 (M Torrente, M Salles, O Malgosa, S Cortes) Dinamo Kazan 4 (A Kornilov 2, D Komarov, N Yankun)

Euro Hockey League media release

De Wijn intervention breaks Holcombe hearts

Holcombe defend a penalty corner Credit EHL

Sander De Wijn’s double strike, the second just five minutes from time fired reigning Euro Hockey League Champions Kampong to a 2-1 win against England’s Holcombe HC in the pool stage of this year’s competition.

The much fancied Dutch outfit trailed to a 21st minute Sam Ward strike and were kept at bay by a sterling defensive effort from Julian Halls’ team.

The English side were forced to absorb a huge amount of pressure throughout the tie but they were the side to break the deadlock. Dan Fox’s pass found Nick Bandurak whose shot was saved but Ward reacted first to knock home the rebound.

Holcombe’s stubborn resistance ensured they went into half time in the lead with Fox colossal in the backline.  Kampong created plenty of chances and got back on level terms after De Wijn slammed home a penalty corner rebound after a fine save from George Pinner. 

Holcombe, knowing a win would see them reach the KO16, hit back and created some openings, with Barry Middleton taking the game by the scruff of the neck. They were unable to find a way past Davey Harte in the Kampong goal. With time running out De Wijn peeled away from his marker and unleashed a vicious backhand shot to win the day and leave Holcombe’s chances of progressing hanging by a thread.

For the English side to progress, they require AZS AWF Poznan to defeat the Dutch side. A draw or a Kampong win sees the holders advance. 

Kampong 2
Sander De Wijn 37, 55 (PC, FG)

Holcombe 1
Sam Ward 21 (FG)

England Hockey Board Media release

EHL opportunity for Kelburne and some big National League results

Photo by Duncan Gray - http://www.duncolm.co.uk/

Bromac Kelburne have a great chance of qualifying for the knock-out stages of the EuroLeague for only the third time, they top the pool three points ahead of favourites Atletic Terrassa from Spain.

The opening came when the Spanish side were unexpectedly held to a 4-4 draw by Russian champions Dinamo Kazan yesterday, the side Kelburne beat 3-1 in their first match.

The Scottish champions final game is against Terrassa, with only the top side in the pool progressing a draw would be sufficient for the Scots to win the pool and progress to the knock-out stages.

On the domestic scene newly promoted Watsonians continued their impressive run of form with a 5-1 win at Gordonians, the result propels them into pole position in the first division. Scott Sutherland and Mike McKenna both scored twice while Craig McCrossan got the other.

Edinburgh University fell off the top perch after going down 2-1 to Grove Menzieshill, Cameron Golden and Ben Cosgrove were the Taysiders on target.

Hillhead v Wildcats 2016At the other end of the table Western Wildcats and Hillhead broke their duck with a 3-3 draw. Rob Harwood, Adam McKenzie and Fraser Calder scored for the Wildcats with replies by Callum Duke, Ewan Campbell and Andrew Black.

Two goals each for PSL Clydesdale`s Chris McFadden and Steven Percy of Uddingston resulted in a share of the points in the Friday Nights Lights clash at Titwood.

Pride of place in the women`s league goes to champions Edinburgh University with a very impressive 15-0 win over CALA. The main damage was inflicted by Amy Brodie (5), Becky Merchant (4) and Sophie Robertson (3).

Milne Craig Western are still in pole position after seeing off Dundee Wanderers 3-2 after a second half comeback. Not long after the interval it looked as if the Taysiders were on the verge of an upset, they led 2-0 through strikes by Vikki Bunce and Sam Sangster.

But Derek Forsyth`s charges retaliated with goals from Millie Brown, Jen Eadie and finally Ali Howie to take the vital three points.

Elsewhere, second placed Grove Menzieshill saw off Kelburne 5-1. The Dundonians were 3-1 ahead at the interval through Lauren Kingston, a new recruit from Ireland, Ailsa Wyllie and Iona Armour, Ellie Halliday replied for the Paisley side. Grove Menzieshill scored twice more in the second half through Armour again and Sarah Jamieson.

Wildcats held on to fourth place with a comfortable 4-0 win at Watsonians, Rona Stewart scored twice and Lucy McArthur and McKenzie Bell added the others.

Photo by Duncan Gray - http://www.duncolm.co.uk/

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Holcombe go top as rivals settle for a draw

Nicki Moss shoots for Clifton v Bowdon. Credit Peter Smith

Holcombe moved to the top of the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division after a 4-1 home victory over Slough on Saturday.

Philipa Newton had opened the scoring for Slough in the first half, but field goals from Lucy Wood and Eleanor Watton turned the game, before two late penalty corners were converted by Sarah Jones and Emily Maguire.

Clifton Robinsons were back to winning ways, after a 2-1 home victory over Bowdon Hightown moved them up to second in the table.

Abigail Porter scored in the first half, and Laura Bridge scored two minute from time to secure the point for the hosts. Jane Donnelly converted a penalty corner for Bowdon, a consolation goal with the last play of the match

Both Holcombe and Clifton capitalised after Surbiton and East Grinstead finished all square in Surrey.

Jenna Woolven scored for Surbiton after ten minutes, but Alice Pyrgos scored from a penalty corner three minutes from time to earn a share of the points as both sides preserved their unbeaten starts to the season.

Leicester produced an impressive result, claiming their first victory of the season in a 1-0 win at free-scoring University of Birmingham.

Rachel Mack scored the visitors’ first goal in the league this season to take all three points for Leicester.

Sunday’s match sees Reading play host to Canterbury.

Investec Women's Conference East

Sevenoaks preserved their perfect start to the season with a 6-2 home victory over West Herts in the Investec Conference East.

Samantha Danckert scored a brace, with Jess Denniff, Sophie Crosley, Kate Reynolds and Cathy Gilliat-Smith also on target. Anna Coppel scored both for the visitors who are yet to register a point this season.

Harleston Magpies remain unbeaten, thanks to a late Elizabeth Clymer goal rescuing them a point in a 2-2 draw at St Albans.

Wimbledon moved second in the table with a 4-2 home victory over Chelmsford, Lynn Vanderstichele and Tamsyn Naylor amongst the goals.

Elsewhere, five goals in 18 second half minutes turned the game as Hampstead and Westminster beat Southgate 5-2, and Cambridge City beat Northampton Saints 3-0.

Investec Women's Conference North

Sophie Robinson scored after just 11 seconds to help Investec Conference North leaders Beeston to a thumping 6-1 win over Timperley.

Robinson scored twice and Rosie Stephens, Alice Huddlestone, as well as debutants Maddy Wray and Paige Gillott were all on the scoresheet for the hosts, who are four wins from four.

The University of Durham remain unbeaten, as they ran out 3-0 winners at Loughborough, with Lorna Cruickshank, Claire Dobison and Anna Baker on target.

Brooklands Poynton remain third after a comfortable 4-1 victory at Ben Rhydding.

Sutton Coldfield came from two goals behind to register their first points of the campaign, a 3-2 win over bottom side Belper, and Wakefield won 1-0 at home to Liverpool Sefton.

Investec Women's Conference West

Olton & West Warwicks remain top of the Investec Conference West, after a 2-1 home victory over Buckingham.

Phoebe Richards had given the visitors a first half lead, but goals from Sally Walton and a Mandy Gatherer strike one minute from time maintained the hosts' 100 per cent start.

Trojans also hold a perfect record, as second half goals from Allison Evans, Jill Tombs and Cat Horn lifted them to a 3-1 victory over Bristol Firebrands.

Stourport remain unbeaten after a convincing 5-0 home win over Isca University.

Elsewhere, Gloucester won 2-1 at home against Oxford Hawks, whilst Exe came from behind twice to claim their first three points, a 3-2 victory over Swansea.

Investec Women’s Hockey League (Saturday, October 8, 2016):

Investec Women's Premier Division: Holcombe 4, Slough 1; Clifton Robinsons 2, Bowdon 1; Surbiton 1, East Grinstead 1; University of Birmingham 0, Leicester 1.

Investec Women's Conference East: Cambridge City 3, Northampton Saints 0; Sevenoaks 6, West Herts 2; Southgate 2, Hampstead and Westminster 5; St. Albans 2, Harleston Magpies 2; Wimbledon 4, Chelmsford 2.

Investec Women's Conference North: Beeston 6, Timperley 1; Ben Rhydding 1, Brooklands Poynton 4; Loughborough Students 0, University of Durham 3; Sutton Coldfield 3, Belper 2; Wakefield 1, Liverpool Sefton 0.

Investec Women's Conference East: Exe 3, Swansea City 2; Gloucester City 2, Oxford Hawks 1; Olton & West Warwicks 2, Buckingham 1; Stourport 5, Isca 0; Trojans 3, Bristol Firebrands 1.

England Hockey Board Media release

Strathmore snap Sailors’ unbeaten run


Sarah Ragangi of Sliders (left) and Martha Masinde of USIU-A during their Kenya Hockey Union Women's Premier League match at City Park Stadium on October 8, 2016. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Strathmore University Scorpions on Saturday ended Amira Sailors unbeaten run with a 1-0 win in a Kenya Hockey Union women’s Premier League match at the City Park Stadium.

Lucy Wanjiku, who returned to the starting line up after a three-month absence, struck the winner in the 42nd minute to give the Scorpions the vital win.

Newcomers Amira, who made their debut in the top flight league this season, were hoping to win the match as they seek their maiden title. However, their ambitions were dealt a blow as Scorpions dug deep to secure all three points.

Scorpions coach Meshack Senge was pleased with the result but said his charges should have won by a bigger margin after creating several chances.

“We deserved the win because we controlled the match for long spells. I am happy for Lucy (Wanjiku) because she has been working hard in training and she proved to be the difference between the two sides,”  Senge told Sunday Nation Sport.

Amira came into the match as the form team between the two sides and were the best side in the opening quarter as striker Leah Omwandho and Sheila Chebet troubling the Scorpions defence.

The duo created the first chance in the 13th minute as Zawadi set up Omwandho but the latter could not score with only Scorpions keeper Natasha Maria to beat. The duo were again involved in another chance this time Zawadi was unable to finish off Omwandho’s cross.

Scorpions eventually settled in the match and skipper Yvonne Karanja’s runs created openings for her teammates to go forward.

A sweeping move in the 30th minute saw striker Gilly Okumu waste a one-on-one chance with Amira keeper Rachel Kerubo.

Scorpions were on top at the halftime whistle and coach Senge introduced Wanjiku for the ineffective Winnie Odongo.

Her introduction bore fruit in the 42nd minute after she won a penalty corner for her team. Doreen Hongo dragged the shot and Wanjiku’s first time shot beat Kerubo to sail in.

Scorpions poured forward in search of more goals and they should have doubled the lead five minutes later as Wanjiku set up Okumu but the latter could not sound the board from 12 yards.

Amira’s attackers were neutralised by the impressive Elizabeth Ngombo at the heart of the Scorpions defence.

“We were disappointing in attack especially in the second half. I think we showed them too much respect and got punished for our naivety. We shall improve in our next match,” Amira coach Linet Onyango.

In another women’s league tie, Sliders played to a 0-0 draw with USIU Spartans at the same venue.

Daily Nation

Scorpions taint Amira's league run in a hockey women’s league match

By Elizabeth Mburugu

Strathmore University Angela (l) and Vikings Sarah Bonareri in action when they played ladies Premier at Citypark yesterday. Strathmore scored 1-0. ON 18/09/2016. PHOTO; JENIPHER WACHIE

Strathmore University Scorpions edged debutantes Amira Sailors 1-0 to end their unbeaten run in a hockey women’s league match played yesterday at City Park Stadium.

Former Scorpions captain Lucy Wanjiku’s 42nd minute goal was enough to subject the bankers to their first league loss.

The win earned Strathmore crucial points that saw them leap to the summit of the women’s table of standings with 11points, one ahead of defending champions Telkom Orange.

Strathmore who missed out on a club championships slot after finishing in third place last season, proved to be the better side. They controlled the proceedings with their midfield led by skipper Yvonne Karanja enjoying good ball possession but were failed by blunt finishing.

Strathmore coach Meshack Senge told Feverpitch that despite securing the three points his charges could have done better. “I appreciate the three points but I believe that they could have done better and won convincingly with a good score. Our opponents were resilient but I doubt they played to win because my goalkeeper was not put to test,’’ Senge said.

Amira, not ready to go down without a fight, tightened their defence limiting Scorpions movement in the first half as it ended without a meaningful attempt at goal for both sides. The bankers got a chance in the 18th minute, but Jedidah Zawadi failed to convert a short corner hitting the right post. Strathmore’s Gilly Okumu came close in a one on one encounter with Amira goalkeeper Racheal Kerubo in the 26th minute but her shot went wide for to end in a barren draw by the breather.

Strathmore came into the second half rejuvenated and yearning to take the lead with Okumu threatening to strike but her efforts were twarted by a vigil Amira defense. After some minutes of near misses Wanjiku came through for Strathmore from a penalty corner nicely pushed by Winnie Odongo and stopped by international Elizabeth Ngombo.

Amira coach Linnet Onyango said that her charges played well but failed to create chances. “The girls played well but created less chances.

We are still learning and moving forward we need to work on our finishing in preparation for our remaining matches.’’

The Standard Online

Big first half leads No. 4 Syracuse past No. 2 Duke

Syracuse Athletics

Syracuse took down ACC conference foe Duke in the final regular season home game for the Orange, 5-1. Syracuse Athletics

It was all Orange from the start at J.S. Coyne Stadium on Friday night, as the No. 4 Syracuse field hockey team (11-1, 3-1 ACC) took down No. 2 Duke (10-2, 3-2 ACC) by a score of 5-1 after a dominant first half performance.

In the final ACC regular season home game for Syracuse, the team jumped out to a 4-0 halftime lead and never looked back, maintaining control of the game from start the finish, scoring on four of the team's first six corner attempts in 25 minutes to put the game out of reach early.

After the Orange's first penalty corner narrowly missed the cage on a shot from Roos Weers that sailed just high, the team quickly gained another, putting the pressure on the Blue Devils close to nine minutes into the game. This time, Weers converted, taking the ball from Elaine Carey to one side of the arc before drag flicking it into the top corner of the net.

Not even 10 minutes later, the Orange got another chance at a penalty corner. This time, Weers received the insertion directly, collecting the ball from Jennifer Bleakney before finding the back of the net yet again.

Syracuse would not stop there. With less than two minutes passing since the team's second goal, yet another penalty corner was earned. This time, Duke keeper Sammi Steele saved the corner. However, Emma Lamison was there to collect the rebound and push the ball passed the goal line, putting the Orange up 3-0.

With 8:59 to play in the half, 'Cuse extended its lead to four. After another penalty corner was saved, Lamison's positioning allowed for yet another rebound, and consequently another goal.

Heading into the halftime locker room up 4-0, the Orange had also outshot Duke 11-2 and had eight penalty corners to Duke's one.

After back-and-forth play ensued for the first 28 minutes of the second half, Duke got on the board with a goal from Aisling Naughton, who picked up a rebound in front of a crowded net and beat keeper Regan Spencer.

Just two minutes later, the Orange struck back. After assisting on the first goal of the game, Carey got a goal of her own, receiving a pass from Lamison on yet another penalty corner and beating Steele to push the lead back to four.

The game would end 5-1 in favor of the Orange, who outshot Duke 14-10 and converted on five-of-10 penalty corners throughout the game. Spencer made five saves, while Lamison led the way with six points on two goals and two assists. Weers added four points for the Orange, scoring twice, while Carey added three points to her season total as well. Bleakney rounded out the 'Cuse offense with an assist of her own.

The Orange will travel to Cornell on Sunday in search of the team's fifth straight win. Game time is at 3 p.m. in Ithaca, New York and the action will be broadcast on IVY League Digital Network.


Maryland field hockey scored three unanswered goals to top Michigan State, 3-1

By James Crabtree-Hannigan

Twice in Maryland field hockey's game against Michigan State, the Spartans bench thought they had scored a goal, only to stop celebrating when their shots didn't find the net.

Those near-misses would have made the difference, as Maryland won 3-1 despite a strong start and early lead from the Spartans.

"The game seemed very frantic," coach Missy Meharg said. "[It was] very fast-paced, lot of change in possession."

Early on, though, the Spartans were on the front foot. After the Terps had a couple of chances in the first minute, Michigan State earned a penalty corner and took four shots before the 10th minute.

"I looked at the scoreboard and I think it was 5-1 in shots for them, and I'm thinking, 'What happened? How did we get in this situation?'" Meharg said. "We let Michigan State into the circle too many times in the opening 10 minutes."

Their fourth and fifth shots, in the ninth minute, helped give them a 1-0 lead.

Terps goalkeeper Sarah Bates easily saved the Spartans' initial effort from the top of the circle, but the ball ricocheted straight into the air.

Michigan State forward Sophie Macadre was the first one to get to it, hitting it out of midair as Bates dove back across the cage, unable to get a touch on the shot.

That shot, however, would be the Spartans' last of the first half.

"The scoreboard isn't a fact until the game's over," Meharg said. "You just can't get rattled."

It took the Terps a little over three minutes to even the game back up. Midfielder Linnea Gonzales scored her seventh goal of the season after some crisp passing put the ball on her stick right in front of the cage.

Forward Emma Rissinger intercepted an errant Spartan pass in the Terps' final third. She found midfielder Lein Holsboer just outside the circle and dished it to Gonzales.

"Lein was dribbling it in, and [forward Welma Luus] yelled at me like, 'Get in there!" Gonzales said. "I ran for the ball and I just dodged around the goalie."

Gonzales' score made it 1-0. The Terps created a bevy of chances directly after that, but couldn't finish any of them.  The most notable was another result of strong passing. Midfielder Kelee Lepage had a chance off a Welma Luus cross, but Spartans goalkeeper Katie Miller saved her first-time shot, and the Spartans kept the game tied headed to halftime.

"We started off a little shaky," Gonzales said. "In the second half we kept it together by making the simple passes and connecting."

Along with an adjustment to formation that let the Terps keep possession, passes helped the team improve as the game went on.

"We had Lein Holsboer come back hold the belly of the field, defensively, … which is something we needed to do," Meharg said. "She's so much longer, she can receive [passes] through seams so I put her [back] so she can bring the ball out."

Forward Madison Maguire gave the Terps a lead they wouldn't relinquish with a shot from the top of the circle in the 38th minute. She received a pass with her back to the goal, took a few touches, turned and fired a low shot to the right of the cage.

"It was an off-balance shot," Maguire said.

Still, the ball went through Miller's legs and hit the backboard.

Maguire would have two more chances to extend the Terps' lead without a goalkeeper in her way. The first came a couple of minutes after her score, when Luus sent the ball towards the net, where Maguire and a Michigan State defender waited.

Maguire couldn't beat the Spartan to the ball to capitalize on the opportunity.

She found redemption in the 57th minute. Miller charged toward forward Emma Rissinger, who had the ball and was charging along the baseline. She got a cross off, though, and Maguire simply tapped the ball in from around hip-height.

That insurance goal let the Terps cruise in the final 14 minutes en route to a win that puts them in a three-way tie at the top of the Big Ten standings.

"I'm very proud of Maryland," Meharg said. "It was a very positive night."

The Diamondback

PHF to get clearance for Junior World Cup in India

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s participation in the Junior World Cup Hockey Tournament, set to be held in India in December this year, depends on clearance from the federal government. A spokesman for the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) said Saturday said the national federation was already in contact with the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) to seek clearance from the government. Amid political tensions between the two neighbouring countries, the spokesman said the approval of the federal government for sending the national team across the border was important.

However, the he believed the World Cup was a big event and the PHF was focused on the team’s preparation anyhow. The Pakistan kabaddi team was barred from the World Cup which begins later this week. He said due to poor conditions of the hockey turf at the National Hockey Stadium, all the three matches between the Pakistan Senior and Junior teams had been shifted to the Johar Town Stadium, Lahore. The matches will be held from October 8. After the series, both the senior and junior teams will be finalised to participate in different international events. The seniors are eyeing to defend their title in the upcoming Asian Champions Trophy kicking off in Malaysia on October 20, while the juniors look to shine in the World Cup.

Moreover, Pakistan junior coach Tahir Zaman informed that the list of probables, attending the junior camp at Johar Stadium, after the approval of the chief selector Rashid Junior, had been reduced to 26 from 35. After the three-match series against the seniors, the camp will be resumed at the Johar Stadium from October 14.

The PHF efforts to solve financial problems of hockey players have yielded results as more than 70 players are going to get jobs in different departments. “This will be a tremendous boost for our hockey. The players will now be able to fully concentrate on their game,” the spokesman added. “Soon after assuming the charge, the present management initiated a comprehensive plan for revival of national game. Ensuring job for players is a part of our plan. We’ve got success as initially four departments have agreed to provide employment to promising players. The credit for that goes to PHF president Khalid Sajjad Khokhar, who himself has been contacting departments to secure future of hockey players through jobs,” he said.

He informed that so far four departments Fauji Foundation, Oil and Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL), Zarai Taraqiati Bank Ltd. (ZTBL) and Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) had agreed to provide employment to players.

“Each department will provide job to 18-19 players. We are thankful to them for contributing in the rebuilding process of national game.” He said jobless players, who fell in the age bracket of 18-27 and had attended some national camps at the senior or junior level, had been asked to submit their applications to the PHF. All these players will get handsome salaries, whereas those who had represented the country at the international level will get even higher packages. The national federation will present complete bio data of interested players to the departments. “We`ve asked the desirous players to send their applications before October 20, so that we can forward their case to the departments concerned in time,” the spokesman concluded.


Goalkeepers: Ali Raza, Talal Khalid, Muneeb-ur-Rehman.

Full backs: Atif Mushtaq, Hussain Anwar, Mubashar Ali, Zahidullah.

Half backs: Abu Bakar Mahmood, Faizan, Junaid Kamal, M Usman, Tazeemul Hasan, M Adnan and Ammad Shakeel Butt.

Forwards: Shan Irshad, Azfar Yaqoob, M.Dilber, M Atiq, Bilal Qadir, Mohsin Sabir, Rana Sohail Riaz, Samiullah, M Rizwan, M. Naveed, Fahadullah Khan and Umar Hamdi.

The Daily Times

Even As Tensions Rise, Pakistan Hockey Federation Is Hopeful Of Sending A Team To India For The Junior World Cup

Somak Adhikari

While tensions are high between the two countries, Pakistan are confident that they will take part in the Junior World Cup hockey in India in December.

Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) has sought clearance from its government so that a team can be sent.

PHF secretary Shahbaz Ahmed told the media that the junior hockey team would only travel to India if the government gives the green signal.

“Given the existing relations between the two countries we have asked the Pakistan Sports Board to get us clearance for the tournament,” he said.

The former Pakistan captain said that the Junior World Cup was a very important tournament for the future of Pakistan hockey but India’s reaction after the Uri attacks was not a very encouraging sign.

“We will go if the government says we can go but we are concerned specially after the way the Indians didn’t allow Pakistan to send its team for the ongoing Kabbadi Championship in Ahmedabad,” the PHF secretary said.

Hostilities between the two neighbours have escalated after India said last week it conducted surgical strikes in against militants in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (POK). The strikes came after alleged Pakistani millitants staged a deadliest attack on an Indian army base in Uri.

Relations between the hockey federations of India and Pakistan have not been cordial since the 2014 Champions Trophy when Pakistani players went overboard with their celebrations after winning the semi-final against India.

Hockey India, the national federation, has been demanding a formal apology from Pakistan and also threatened not to play any bilateral matches until then. Shahbaz said that the chapter was closed as the PHF officials at that time and even the head coach of the national team had expressed their regrets over the matter.

“We are now focusing on the Junior World Cup and the Asian Champions Trophy in Malaysia this month because in both events India is involved,” he said.

Pakistani Olympians have already expressed their disappointment at some of the statements coming from few Indian players about avenging the Uri attack by defeating Pakistan in the Asian Champions Trophy, starting October 20.

Shahbaz said that in the past Pakistan hockey teams had been regularly visiting India and faced minor issues but overall they were well looked after.

“If the government feels we can go and play there it is fine for us because security of our players and officials is responsibility of the FIH and host nation,” he added.

India Times

Pak uncertain for Jr hockey World Cup

Karachi: With diplomatic tensions between the two countries flaring in the wake of recent developments at the border, the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) has sought clearance from its government to send the hockey team for the FIH Junior World Cup to be held in Lucknow in December.

PHF secretary Shahbaz Ahmed said that the junior hockey team would only travel to India if the government gives the green signal.

“Given the existing relations between the two countries, we have asked the Pakistan Sports Board to get us clearance for the tournament,” he said.

The former Pakistan captain said that the Junior World Cup is a very important tournament for the future of Pakistan hockey but India’s reaction after the Uri attacks was not a very encouraging sign.

“We will go if the government says we can go but we are concerned, especially after India didn’t allow Pakistan to send its team for the Kabbadi World Cup in Ahmedabad,” he said.

The Tribune

Hockey Junior World Cup: Pakistan team misses visa deadline?

BENGALURU/KARACHI: The Pakistan Hockey Federation, which is awaiting its government's clearance to travel to Lucknow in December for the Men's Hockey Junior World Cup, may have already missed the deadline for applying for the Indian visa.

With restrictions in place for processing visas for a few countries, including Pakistan, PHF ought to have applied well in advance, a source told STOI.

"The central government cleared the participation of all 16 countries, including Pakistan. With the World Cup being an FIH event, all clearances were obtained and sent to FIH a few months ago. Embassies of all the 16 countries too have been informed about the visa procedure and restrictions," the source said.

The Times of India

Uganda joins the hockey revolution

Uganda is the latest African nation to take steps towards initiating its own Hockey Revolution with the aim of competing successfully on the international stage.

The Uganda Hockey Association is following in the footsteps of Ghana, who has made huge strides forward in the past two years after working alongside the African Hockey Federation (AfHF), England Hockey, UK Sport and the International Hockey Federation to raise standards of hockey provision and performance.

“Currently there is no programme in place,” says AfHF Vice-President Ginny Ross. “But we (the AfHF) have asked the Uganda Hockey Association to submit a five-year plan which will incorporate all their plans for development. We need to see a clear picture of their goals so that we can assist them in achieving those ambitions. One major ambition is to get the Uganda national teams to a point where they can compete in second tier competitions within Africa.”

Ross explains that hockey in the East African nation is being run by former players who coach and administrate in clubs and schools, but there is very little structure to hockey development across the entire nation.

While the five year plan is being formulated, things are already moving. The AfHF is working with the National Association to form an academy that will train coaches and administrators. Ross says that the location of the academy has been decided and now the search is on for people who will run the academy and potential elite level coaches who will train at the academy.

Within Uganda, there is an adult league currently running. Six men’s teams and five women’s teams compete against each four times over the course of the season. Ross says it is a popular league but struggles for funds. “There is a sponsor but it barely covers the costs of running a tournament,” she says.

Assessing the challenges that Uganda Hockey faces, the AfHF Vice-President says that it is mostly a question of funding. 
Most of the hockey activity in Uganda revolves around the pitch and facility in the capital city Kampala. Schools and higher education centres in the city are very active and this, says Ross, provides a good base to build from.

Despite the financial difficulties facing Uganda Hockey there is a willingness on all sides to make the five year plan happen. The Uganda Olympic Association is a willing partner, says Ross, adding that the body has offered to facilitate an Olympic Solidarity Course, which AfHF will work to fast track. AfHF itself is keen to get coach education courses up and running.

“There could be a bright future for hockey in Uganda,” says Ross, “I feel there is an abundance of enthusiasm and talent. Our job, and the job of the national association, is to nurture the enthusiasm and provide opportunities for growth. The starting point could be with competitions with neighbouring countries.”

As Uganda embarks on a programme of development, it is firmly in line with the goals of the FIH Hockey Revolution – to increase the degree of professionalism within the sport and to generate millions more followers of the sport.

FIH site

Aiming to reach the hockey pinnacle

With many awards and achievements under her belt for various sports, like cross-country, swimming, netball and hockey, it is clear that Bonolo Moabi (14) is a massive sport star in the making.

Matshepo Maseko

Bonolo Moabi (14) is making a name for herself on the sports field.

When she was chosen to be part of the Gauteng provincial u-14 hockey team this year, it was yet another huge achievement on her part and a big step forward in her desire to one day play for the national women’s team.

“To be chosen boosted my confidence as a hockey player,” she said.

“I was just very happy and extremely excited.”

The provincial team participated in the South African National Winter Games, in Durban, and finished in second place overall, and were awarded silver medals.

She is a former Benoni Northerns Athletics Club (BNAC) member and a Benoni Northerns Junior Hockey (BNJH) player.

Moabi also plays hockey for her school, Pretoria High School for Girls, in the u-14 division, and recently won the Most Promising Junior Hockey Player award at the school.

“My favourite sport to play is hockey, because it is a team sport and does not put as much pressure on you in that, win or lose, you are still a team and have people supporting you,” she said.

She also plays indoor hockey on weekends, for the East Rand Quaggas.

One of her most memorable achievements, she said, happened last year, when she won the Sportswoman of the Year award at her former school, Rynfield Primary School, where it all began for the Grade Eight boarder.

The ambitious girl said: “As proud as I am of myself and my achievements, it is only a result of hard work and dedication, plus the support of many people.”

She thanked her primary school coach, Grant Wright, for her accomplishments, saying that he taught her everything she needs to know and encouraged her to succeed.

Benoni City Times

Panjab University to set up Chair in honour of Balbir Sr.

CHANDIGARH: Panjab University Chandigarh will set up a Chair in honour of hockey legend Balbir Singh Senior.

Panjab University Syndicate, which met here today, approved to recommend the setting up of the Chair in honour of the 92-year-old Olympian at the Department of Sports and Physical Education at PU.

PU Vice Chancellor Arun Kumar Grover presided over the Syndicate meeting.

Balbir Senior, on his part, said he was humbled by this rare honour bestowed upon him.

"I am humbled by this rare honour bestowed upon me by the Panjab University. I thank the almighty that I was able to contribute towards the honour of our tricolour," he said.

"I hope story of my life inspires future generations, to achieve laurels for our country," he added.

Balbir Sr. was a member of India's three Olympic gold medal winning teams in London (1948), Helsinki (1952) and Melbourne (1956 as captain).

Besides being a player par excellence, Balbir Sr. was the manager and chief coach of the Indian team for the 1975 World Cup, which India won, and the 1971 World Cup (in which India settled for a bronze medal).

During the London Olympics in 2012, he was felicitated as one of the world's 16 iconic Olympians.

The Times of India

PCB asks PHF to return Rs10m loan

By Muhammad Yousaf Anjum

The loan was granted by the then PCB chairman General (Retd) Tauqir Zia. PHOTO: AFP

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has asked the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) to return Rs10 million loan that it gave to the latter in 2000 under the chairmanship of General (Retd) Tauqir Zia.

PHF, which is already running out of cash, was sent a letter by PCB Chief Operating Officer Subhan Ahmed on October 5, 2016 demanding a return of the said loan on priority basis.

The amount was given to the hockey team which was due to participate in the Sydney Olympics in the aforementioned year.  However, PCB later revealed that it was a loan and the PHF would have to return it.

The letter sent to the PHF president Brigadier Khalid Sajjad Khokhar was received by The Express Tribune and it reads: “We refer to our four self-explanatory (copies enclosed for ready reference) concerning outstanding loan of Rs10 million due from PHF. We will be highly obliged, if matter is treated on priority and PHF releases an amount of Rs6 million in favour of PCB against overdue instalments of six years (2011-2016) so that the latest status may be conveyed to Ministry of Inter-Provincial Coordination and Directorate of Federal General Audit, Islamabad.”

Documents further revealed that PCB and PHF officials first met to resolve this issue on March 10, 2011 at the National Cricket Academy where it was mutually agreed that hockey federation would return this amount in instalments.

Although the number of instalments were not agreed at that time but PCB sent another letter on January 10, 2012 in which they suggest that there should be at least 10 instalments to clear this amount.

“We request PCB to declare this loan of Rs10 million as a grant like Bangladesh, where government has announced a policy which pushed Bangladesh Cricket Board to give 5% of their income to the national game,” said PHF Secretary Shahbaz Senior when contacted by The Express Tribune.

The Express Tribune

Audit report exposes cases of corruption in PHF

By Qadeer Tanoli

PHF sanctioned Rs1.212 million in February 2010 to allow a 48-person delegation to travel to India for 2010 Hockey World Cup however total strength of the delegation comprised of 18 members. PHOTO: TWITTER/FIH

ISLAMABAD: In a shocking revelation, the 2015-16 audit report released by the Auditor General of Pakistan revealed that five Pakistan hockey team officials twice received their rewards for winning the 2010 South Asian Games.

Pakistan claimed gold at the sub-continent’s mega event by defeating arch-rivals India 4-3 on penalties in the final after the match ended 1-1 in normal and extra time.

According to the reports, the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) withdrew Rs1.945 million on March 22, 2011 as reward money for the five officials who travelled with the contingent to Bangladesh.

The same amount, surprisingly, was again withdrawn on June 1, 2011 as reward money for the same officials for the same event.

When the auditors asked the PHF to give an explanation for the duplication of the withdrawal, the PHF gave no reply at the time and the matter went unnoticed.

Four years later in the Departmental Accounts Committee (DAC) meeting in October 2015, the matter was raised once again and the PHF authorities were directed to investigate the matter and share the findings with the audit committee besides providing the adjustment accounts for verification.

However to date, no such findings has reached the audit committee, the report revealed.

Meanwhile, in another case, it was revealed that the PHF sanctioned Rs1.212 million in February 2010 to allow a 48-person delegation to travel to India for the hockey team’s participation at the 2010 Hockey World Cup.

Upon further inquiry, it was revealed that the total strength of the delegation comprised of 18 members and the rest were unauthorised personnel, for whom the PHF sanctioned the funds.

Those personnel were neither journalists, experts nor players — they were people the PHF had invited from various departments to attend the World Cup.

The Express Tribune

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author