Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 10 October 2016

All the news for Monday 10 October 2016

Thai hockey team win AHF Cup first time in 59 years

Gifted Kornkanok Sanpuang on Sunday scored a hat-trick as Thailand blanked Singapore 4-0 in the showdown of the PTT Women’s AHF Cup 2016 to reign supreme for the first time in 59 years and qualify for the 2017 Hockey Asia Cup in Japan.

Competing at the Chalermprakiat Stadium, Khlong Hok, Thailand, ranked No.36 in the world ranking, drew first blood in the 17th minute, thanks to Kornkanok's superb form. The team's second goal came from Tikamporn Sakulpitak in the 43rd minute, while Kornkanok fired the third and fourth in the 57th and 67th minutes for the Thailand's eventual 4-0 win over Singapore after completion of the 70-minute game.

Defending champions Taiwan had to be content with the bronze medal following a 4-1 win over Pakistan, while Hong Kong defeated Sri Lanka 2-1 to finish fifth and Uzbekistan downed Cambodia 12-0 for the seventh position.

After the showdown, Chaipak Siriwat, president of the Hockey Association of Thailand, expressed his satisfaction over the Thailand's victory.

"It's one of the greatest successes for Thailand since this is for the first time in 59 years that we won the AHF trophy. We played exceptioanlly well in the final showdown, especially Natthakarn Unjai and Kornkanok Sanpuang, who scored a hat-track. As we beat Singapore 4-0, both Thailand and Singapore qualified for the 2017 Hockey Asia Cup in Japan, where six teams have automatically qualified comprising China, Korea, Japan, India, Kazakhstan and Malaysia. Thailand and Singapore will then join the six teams for the Asia Cup," he said.

The Nation, Thailand

Pakistan finishes 4th at AHF Cup

Pakistan lost 1-4 to Chinese Taipie in the third position play off at the Women Asian Hockey Federation Cup in Bangkok, Thailand.

The early phase followed the pattern of Pakistan's other matches: opponent dictating the terms.

This time they had to pay a big price for their uncertain start. Chinese Taipie went 2-0 ahead with in the first 10 minutes; both goals came through open play.

After the double set back, the green shirts managed to regroup and started making some well structured moves.

A somewhat even show commenced with either side frequently entering opponent's 23 meter area with occasional forays into the circle.

A quick passing Pakistani move from the left side was well directed into the goal by Ambreen Arshad in the 32nd minute. At 1-2 , Pakistan were very much back in the game. But a bizarre umpiring decision in the last minute of the first half saw them going into two goal deficit once again. Chia Hua Yang, apparently hit a ball from outside the circle. Pakistani custodian Rizwana Yasmin, who was, earlier this morning, declared the 'Goal Keeper of the Tournament' let the apparently harmless ball enter the goal. Surprisingly, the umpire declared it a goal, and it stood despite strong protest from the Pakistani girls.

Half time: Pakistan: 1  Chinese Taipie: 3

Second half, for most of the time, saw good up and down stuff as the two sides played open and attacking game and created opportunities, field as well as  penalty corners.  Again, a goal was scored against Pakistan in somewhat controversial manner. In the 47th minute, a long ball from the other half found a Chinese Taipie forward in Pakistan circle. Her attempt was well saved by Rizwana, the net minder but the rebound was adjudged by the umpire to have hit a Pakistani defender's foot and a penalty stroke was awarded. Pakistanis claimed the ball was taken on the stick rather than the foot. But the penalty stroke was taken. Pei-Shan Liao's strong high push sent the goal keeper the wrong way and it was 4-1.

End to end stuff continued but there was no change in the scoreline.

Thus ended Pakistan women hockey's first ever campaign in the international arena after a gap of more than three years. During this period, there was very little activity on the domestic circuit too. Yet, Pakistan achieved its best ever position at the AHF Cup.

These girls have the potential. What they need is more international exposure.

PHF Media release

Seniors bounce back with 4-1 win over Juniors

After being surprisingly held to a 2-2 draw in the first match of the 3 match series, Pakistan's national hockey team came out firing on all cylinders in the second match at the Hockey Stadium, Johar Town, Lahore.

The under 21 boys were well beaten 4-1 by the national side.

The seniors started in a stormy fashion and opened the scoring in the 2nd minute through a Tasawwar Abbas field goal. They continued applying pressure and doubled the score when Umar Bhutta scored via a penalty corner in the 18th minute.

However, the under 21 boys refused to be overawed and immediately reduced the margin when young Samiullah found the net.

Their joy was short lived as the national team restored the two goal cushion with lanky Aleem Bilal converting another penalty corner.

It was 3-1 at half time of the 60 minute match.

Seniors were again the more dominating side in the second half. Though, they added only one more goal. Striker Ijaz Ahmad being the scorer.

Today, the seniors were seniors. They combined well, crafted many attacking moves and created more chances. Juniors inexperience also showed as two soft goals were conceded.

The last match of the series will be played at the same venue on Monday, starting at 3.30 pm.

PHF media release

Reigning Champions Kampong ease into KO16

A Martijn Havenga hat trick along with goals from Constantijn Jonker, Robbert Kemperman and Jasper Luijkx saw SV Kampong ease into the KO16 thanks to a 7-1 win over KS AZS AWF Poznan.

The writing was on the wall from the first minute as Jonker nicked in the first goal with just 45 seconds gone. Havenga got his first of his goals from a corner in the ninth minute before he grabbed another in the 11th minute for a comfortable 3-0 advantage.

Robbert Kemperman added a trademark backhand before Jonker nudged in his second from the baseline for a 5-0 half-time lead.

The scoring was slower in the second half but Havenga did complete his hat-trick from the penalty spot before Oskar Bator got one back, his persistence forcing the ball over the line.

But Kampong were always able to go up a gear and Jasper Luijkx completed the victory in the closing quarter to make it 7-1. It means Kampong top their group with 10 points with Holcombe second on five points with KS AZS AWF Poznan in third.

Pool A: SV Kampong 7 (M Havenga 3, C Jonker 2, R Kemperman, J Luijkx) KS AZS AWF Poznan 1 (O Bator)

Euro Hockey League media release

New look UHC produce familiar result with KO16 qualification

UHC Hamburg did what they needed to beat Cardiff & Met 3-1 to reach the KO16 once again with a goal in each of the first three quarters.

For UHC, it was a successful weekend for their new look team. Lukas Katterbach was one of five players to line out for the club for the first time in the EHL.

He had played before at Banbridge in his youth with the German underage teams and described being back as “a huge honour to play here with UHC.”

“We have a new team and it’s a process and evolving so its fun to be involved. I played with Julius Schmid in the youth teams and there are a lot of other faces I recognise so it was more like coming home than coming into a new team.”

For the game itself, after a lively start from Cardiff, with Luke Hawker testing Nicolas Jacobi, UHC went in front early on.

Leopold Harms hit back with a smart goal, twisting out of a tackle onto his backhand before unleashing a cracking shot on his backhand into the corner.

Oliver Korn got the second, showing some close skills at the right post to nudge in at close quarters. Cardiff continued to show endeavour with Owain Dolan-Gray and Rhys Gowman to the fore.

But they were pegged back once again in the third quarter when a drag-flick hit a body on the line. Jan-Philipp Rabente scored the ensuing penalty stroke for his second of the weekend.

Ben Carless dived on a penalty corner move to get one back for the Welsh club, picking up a losing bonus point for their troubles to close out a reasonably productive weekend for them. They end the group with 6 points while UHC go through with 10 to their name.

Pool B: UHC Hamburg 3 (L Harms, O Korn, J-P Rabente) Cardiff & Met 1 (B Carless)

Euro Hockey League media release

Marshall magic delights Banbridge with famous KO16 ticket

Banbridge sent their home crowd into raptures with a dramatic 3-3 draw against Royal Leopold to earn their place in the EHL KO16 for the first time.

For coach Mark Tumilty he was initially speechless when reacting to the result: “There’s a bit of shock in there! We were always going to have to ride our luck at this level.

“We took our chances but we did give them things and Turner was excellent up front. But we did manage the game well and the right times. Eugene Magee was unbelievable as was Matthew Bell once again – he has been world class.

Bann got off to a dream start, Jonny McKee picking out Eugene Magee in the centre and the Olympian unleashed an absolute beauty – an upright backhand shot that portrayed the hurling skills of his younger days.

That came inside 90 seconds. Leo, however, regrouped quickly and set about winning penalty corners. From one, Max Plennevaux shot low to the right post with a deflection guiding the ball away from Gareth Lennox for 1-1.

Moments later, Julien Plennevaux hit the post with a diving effort before Alexis Lemaire dragged in the second goal from a set piece. Bann were rocking and could have been in further danger but for Lennox’s brilliance to deny Arthur Verdussen and Glenn Turner.

Bruce McCandless hit the outside of the post to show the Havelock hosts still have teeth to their attack and they were well in the tie at half-time, 2-1 down.

And Kyle Marshall had them back on terms two minutes into the second half, sliding on to a Matthew Bell push from a corner to set the cat back among the pigeons.

Dorian Thiery stole in to lob Gareth Lennox to restore the advantage but Marshall once again got on the end of a Bell pass to make it 3-3 with 21 minutes to go.

From there, they rode their luck to some extent as Leo pushed forward but got little change from Bell and Lennox as the home hosts went into party mode.

Tumilty added: “They are a top side and so this is a great day for Irish hockey, to have two teams in the KO16 who thoroughly deserve to be there.

“This is the highlight of my coaching career, probably my whole hockey career. For all the guys, to come back to your home club, there is a special feeling. To produce on our home ground, we have to enjoy it. Life is too short not to!”

Euro Hockey League media release

Beltran hails Atletic spirit as they edge out Kelburne

Atletic Terrassa claimed a nervous 3-2 win over Bromac Kelburne to advance to the KO16 with the Scottish side missing out on the draw they needed to eliminate last year’s FINAL4 side.

It continued Atletic’s series of dramatic results in the EHL. A day ago, they struck twice in the closing minutes to pick off an important 4-4 draw and this was similarly all or nothing according to Albert Beltran.

“It was amazing,” the captain said. “At half time, we were in trouble because we needed that win. We had to fight to the end to get the result. Atletic always has that spirit to fight and we know we have it in us. It’s always difficult in the EHL but our spirit to give it all is why we get these results.”

Jordi Carrera gave Atletic a tenth minute lead from the penalty spot when a corner shot hit a defender’s body on the line. Kelburne equalised within 60 seconds, however, when Jonas Nommensen’s drag-flick found the goal for 1-1.

The Spanish side pushed forward for much of the second quarter but to no avail as the Scottish champions defended their 23m area well, limiting clear-cut chances.

The third quarter was a different matter with Atletic netting twice in quick succession after the break. Jan Malgosa got them back in front when Albert Beltran burst down the left flank and while the first phase was blocked, the Atletic man picked up the pieces and swept in.

Oriol Bach extended the lead from the second rebounds of a corner for 3-1. But any notions that they would cruise to victory were put to bed when Josh Cairns converted a penalty stroke. It led to a mad-cap, end-to-end game with Kelburne winning a number of corners and creating a number of chances.

Atletic also had their chances to make the closing stages calmer but Rory Kerr held them out, too.

Pool D: Atletic Terrassa 3 (J Carrera, J Malgosa, O Bach) Bromac Kelburne 2 (J Nommensen, J Cairns)

Pool D: 1. Atletic Terrassa 7pts (+1) 2. Bromac Kelburne 6pts (+1) 3. Dinamo Kazan (2) 3pts (-2)

Euro Hockey League media release

Brilliant Bann play way into the Havelock hall of fame

As a grand finale, Banbridge got the moment they deserved to cap an incredible weekend. The biggest crowd seen at the club since the move from the Castlewellan Road witnessed the first Irish club ever to top the group stages.

Stephen Findlater

Banbridge celebrate post-match. Pic: Frank Uijlenbroek/World Sport Pics

On the walls of the Havelock Park clubhouse, the Banbridge Chronicle hails “Bann’s Hockey Heroes”, a pictorial tribute to the club’s glorious 1985 EuroHockey Club Champions Trophy success.

You get the feeling a glut of fresh press cuttings will adorn those walls in the coming weeks with 2016’s EHL ROUND1 already assured a central place in the clubs’ folklore.

As a grand finale, Banbridge got the moment they deserved to cap an incredible weekend. The biggest crowd seen at the club since the move from the Castlewellan Road witnessed the first Irish club ever to top the group stages.

It was done at the expense of a star-studded Royal Leopold outfit captained by Olympic silver medalist Elliot van Strydonck and bolstered by Australian star Glenn Turner. A 3-3 draw – in addition to Saturday’s 2-0 win over Saint Germain – saw them through on goal difference.

For coach Mark Tumilty he was initially speechless before composing himself: “There’s a bit of shock in there! We were always going to have to ride our luck at this level.

“We took our chances but we did give them things and Turner was excellent up front. But we did manage the game well and the right times. Eugene Magee was unbelievable as was Matthew Bell once again – he has been world class.”

Magee put them ahead in glorious fashion, his upright backhand shot as sweet a connection as you will see, profiting after Jonny McKee picked him out all alone in the centre of the circle.

Leo responded with a concerted charge to show this was never going to be a pushover. Max Plennevaux shot low to the right post with a deflection guiding the ball away from Gareth Lennox for 1-1.

Moments later, Julien Plennevaux hit the post with a diving effort before Alexis Lemaire dragged in the second goal from a set piece. Bann were rocking and could have been in further danger but for Lennox’s brilliance to deny Arthur Verdussen and Turner.

Bruce McCandless hit the outside of the post to show the Havelock hosts still have teeth to their attack and they were well in the tie at half-time, 2-1 down.

To limit the damages at that stage meant there was always a chance. And Kyle Marshall had them back on terms two minutes into the second half, sliding on to a Matthew Bell push from a corner to set the cat back among the pigeons.

There was something fitting in Marshall – a rare scorer for the first team – getting on the mark. Fourteen of the Bann panel hail from the nearby Academy with Marshall a current student who led the side to the All-Ireland Schoolboys title last term.

There were more rocky moments, however, as a sloppy ball out of defence went straight to Dorian Thiery – the key man in Leo’s press – to easily steal possession. He was through on Gareth Lennox one-on-one and spotted enough space to attempt a lob.

The goalkeeper sensed as much but was left flapping as Thiery miscued his scoop, leaving him grasping as thin air with the ball apologetically crossing the goal line.

Once again, Bann bounced back and won another corner. This time, the trap did not work out but McKee regathered the ball and arrowed from right to left with Marshall in the middle to get a light touch in for 3-3.

The last 20 minutes were agonising, Leo pushing forward and pinning Bann in their 23 metre zone. Bell was immense, his tackles and interceptions like a magnet to the ball, with his two performances supposedly drawing glowing compliments from a couple of quarters from the Dutch club scene.

The roars that greeted Lennox’s assertive saves erupted like the post-game fireworks. Nicolas Poncelet’s tame yellow card helped matters while there were a couple of glimpses of a potential fourth goal. It was not required in the end as Havelock exploded one the final hooter.

It was no less than the club deserved. Commentator Nick Irvine – known as the “voice of the EHL” – would later describe the competition as the best ROUND1 event held in the EHL’s 10-year history.

For context, with roughly 2,000 fans on both Saturday and Sunday, the volume of support was in the ballpark of the 2012 Olympic qualifiers in Dublin. That it was done on a voluntary basis, co-ordinated by the likes of John Bell, Roger Wilson and Jonto Walker to name a few, was an exemplar of what can be done.

Eugene Magee said his side owed it to put their best forward to match the efforts of those who played a part in providing them with this unique platform.

“It was just a deserving performance for all the support and the work that has gone in from the volunteers to set up this amazing venue. The lads understood what it meant to everyone around the club and around the town.

“Our defence was superb, Matthew Bell in particular. The midfield, the forward line – you can’t fault any of them. Everyone gave it their all.”

Tumilty summed up his emotions as Bann join Lisnagarvey in next April’s KO16: “This is a great day for Irish hockey, to have two teams in the KO16 who thoroughly deserve to be there.

“This is the highlight of my coaching career, probably my whole hockey career. For all the guys, to come back to your home club, there is a special feeling. To produce on our home ground, we have to enjoy it. Life is too short not to!”

Earlier in the day, Atletic Terrassa edged out Bromac Kelburne 3-2 to win through to the KO16, narrowly avoiding a sharp exit at the hands of the Scots.

UHC Hamburg saw off a lively Cardiff & Met 3-1 while SV Kampong were too strong for KS AZS AWF Poznan, David Harte having little to do in an 7-1 win.

Pool C standings: 1. Banbridge 7pts (+2) 2. Royal Leopold 7pts (+1) 3. Saint Germain 2pts (-3)

The Hook

Hampstead top the table in Men's Premier Division

Beeston’s Mark Gleghorne, who scored against Wimbledon today. Credit: David Kissman.

Hampstead and Westminster moved to the top of the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division after a dramatic 2-1 home victory over Brooklands Manchester University on Sunday.

Stefan Ray-Hills looked to have given Brooklands their first point of the season, when he cancelled out Matt Guise Brown’s opener with ten minutes to go.

But Rupert Shipperley converted a penalty corner four minutes from time to send the hosts top on goal difference after four games.

Previous leaders Wimbledon had to settle for a point as they drew 2-2 at home to Beeston.

The hosts twice came from behind, as goals from Steven Ebbers and Ben Arnold cancelled out strikes from Chris Proctor and the division’s leading scorer Mark Gleghorne (pictured), with both sides remaining unbeaten.

Surbiton claimed all three points after a 4-2 home victory over East Grinstead.

David Goodfield scored a brace, taking his season tally to four, with William Marshall and Richard Hildreth also on target.

Reading won their first game of the campaign, running out 4-1 winners over Canterbury.

James Carson and Edward Carson scored either side of a Richard Mantell brace to claim all three points, and leave Canterbury bottom of the table.

Men’s Conference West

The University of Exeter continued their perfect start to the season with a 6-3 win at the University of Bristol in the Men’s Conference West.

Tom Watson and Edward Matts both scored twice, whilst Conor Caplan and Daniel Jackson were also on target to move the visitors to the top of the table.

Team Bath Buccaneers held Old Georgians to a 2-2 draw. Ben Stone scored to level the game before the break and earn the hosts a point. Old Georgians remain unbeaten.

Dan Smith scored in the second half to give Isca a 2-1 win over Fareham, whilst the University of Birmingham drew 1-1 at Cheltenham to secure their first point of the season.

Cardiff & Met’s game at Chichester was postponed due to Cardiff’s participation in the Euro Hockey League.

Men’s Conference North

The University of Durham maintained their unbeaten start to the season to top the Men’s Conference North after a 3-2 win at Deeside Ramblers.

The visitors had been pegged back from 2-0 up, but Matthew Plater scored eight minutes from time to give Durham their fourth straight win.

Two goals for Tim Shelley helped Doncaster to a 4-1 home win against Cannock, whilst Sheffield Hallam won 3-1 against Oxton, with all four goals being scored in the five minutes before half time.

On Saturday, Preston beat Leek 5-1 thanks to a Ben Heywood hat-trick, and Thomas Ainsworth scored in the final minute to earn Bowdon a thrilling 5-4 win over Olton & West Warwicks.

Men’s Conference East

Southgate went back to the top of the Conference East on Sunday after a 4-1 win at Cambridge City.

Euan Gilmour had given Cambridge a seventh minute lead but goals from Sam Mee, Drew Burkin, Kit Cutter and Timmy Smyth ensured Southgate moved onto maximum points after four games.

Sevenoaks temporarily went top of the table on Saturday after a convincing 6-1 home win over West Herts, with Andrew Ross converting a hat-trick of penalty corners.

Three second half goals for Richmond, including two for Charlie Ellison, saw them preserve their unbeaten start with a 3-0 win at Wapping.

Chris Seddon scored twice as Teddington thrashed Oxted 7-2, whilst a 70th minute Joe Naughalty goal rescued a point for Brighton & Hove at home to Indian Gymkhana, who had Benjamin Greene dismissed late on.

Men’s Hockey League (Saturday, October 8 2016):

Men's Conference North: Bowdon 5, Olton & West Warwicks 4; Preston 5, Leek 1.

Men's Conference East: Sevenoaks 6, West Herts 1; Wapping 0, Richmond 3.

Men’s Hockey League (Sunday, October 9 2016):

Men's Premier Division: Hampstead and Westminster 2, Brooklands MU 1; Surbiton 4, East Grinstead 2; Wimbledon 2, Beeston 2; Reading 4, Canterbury 1.

Men's Conference East: Brighton and Hove 3, Indian Gymkhana 3; Cambridge City 1, Southgate 4; Teddington 7, Oxted 2.

Men's Conference North: Deeside Ramblers 2, University of Durham 3; Doncaster 4, Cannock 1; Sheffield Hallam 3, Oxton 1.

Men's Conference West: Cheltenham 1, University of Birmingham 1; Isca 2, Fareham 1; Team Bath Buccaneers 2, Old Georgians 2; University of Bristol 3, University of Exeter 6.

England Hockey Board Media release

Irish Women's EY Hockey League Round Up

Cork Harlequins continue to make waves in the women’s EY Hockey League as they came from behind to beat Pegasus 3-1, extending their winning start to four games on the spin.

The Munster side finished in the bottom half of the table last term but the arrival of international stars like Naomi Carroll and Rebecca Barry, along with German Olympian Lena Geyer, has given them real impetus.

Katie Morris had given Pegs an early lead but Karen Bateman levelled from a corner before Barry put Quins in front. Olivia Roycroft completed the win in the closing quarter direct from a corner.

Hermes-Monkstown have also won all their games to date, for the second week running winning 1-0 thanks to an Anna O’Flanagan goal. She struck in the second half for her 11th of the season, seeing off a Loreto side who impressed throughout.

UCD are third, two points back, thanks to Deirdre Duke’s double in a 4-1 win over Ulster Elks. She scored early on before Kathryn Smiley levelled the game up just after half-time. But a Katie Mullan effort gave UCD back the lead before Leah Ewart and Duke closed out their third win of the campaign.

It also means they have opened up a four-point gap to the sides below them. That was because Ards got one over Railway Union thanks to Chloe Brown’s winning goal. Lucy McKee and Cecelia Joyce had earlier exchanged goals to set the game up nicely.

Belfast Harlequins, meanwhile, won their first ever EYHL game thanks to a 2-0 win over Pembroke at Deramore Park. They held the majority of play but had to wait until the final quarter to final get on the board. Laura Johnston broke the deadlock before Gemma Frazer made extra sure for a famous day for the club.

The women’s league now goes on hiatus until November 5 with the Irish Senior Cup and the October Bank Holiday leading to the break.

Women’s EY Hockey League: Cork Harlequins 3 (K Bateman, R Barry, O Roycroft) Pegasus 1 (K Morris); Ards 2 (L McKee, C Brown) Railway Union 1 (C Joyce); UCD 4 (D Duke 2, K Mullan, L Ewart) Ulster Elks 1 (K Smiley); Belfast Harlequins 2 (L Johnston, G Frazer) Pembroke 0; Hermes-Monkstown 1 (A O’Flanagan) Loreto 0

Day four - extended reports

Cork Harlequins 3 (K Bateman, R Barry, O Roycroft) Pegasus 1 (K Morris)
Cork Harlequins came from a goal down to beat Pegasus 3-1 and continue their perfect start to the campaign with a fourth successive victory, tying them for the lead with Pegasus.The hosts had most of the early pressure and thought they had the lead in the seventh minute when Naomi Carroll netted from the first penalty corner but the effort was chalked off for a foot in the build-up.

Pegasus went straight up the other end of the pitch and against the run of play won a corner which was duly dispatched by a fine Katie Morris deflection. Quins bounced back quickly in the second quarter thanks to good approach play by Caoimhe Perdue, winning a corner which Karen Bateman deflected past Sammy-Jo Greer. And they went in front in the 31st minute when Cliodhna Sargent’s pass was touched by Carroll into Rebecca Barry’s path and she fired home on her reverse.

The third quarter was a more even affair spent in the middle third of the pitch. Taite Doherty started getting on the ball more for the visitors while Alex Speers also started to find space. For Quins, Lina Geyer showed all her quality and experience, retaining possession well for the home side. It was Quins who had the best chance of the quarter, with a Carroll effort cleared well off the line by the Pegasus defence after good build up play from Michelle Barry.

But the crucial goal came two minutes into the final quarter; a fine Olivia Roycroft drag flick from a penalty corner made the game safe for the home side. Pegasus started to throw more players forward to try and were dominating possession but the Quins defence stood firm to close out the match.

Ards 2 (L McKee, C Brown) Railway Union 1 (C Joyce)
Chloe Brown’s second half goal saw Ards pick up their first win of the campaign, seeing off Railway Union 2-1 at Londonderry Park. The Ulster side took an early lead after an exchange of corners, Lucy McKee finishing off nicely from Ards’ first set piece. Railway responded in kind, creating a number of chances and they got level in the second quarter following quick work down the left wing, working the ball in to Cecelia Joyce to slap home from close range.

The third quarter was end to end and saw Ards retake the initiative when Brown dragged into the top corner in the 41st minute for a precious lead. Railway created a number of chances to level. Sara Alexander, meanwhile, found space in the circle and fired a reverse stick shot that crashed off the post. In the last play, Railway won two penalty corners which Ards cleared successfully to preserve their three points.

UCD 4 (D Duke 2, K Mullan, L Ewart) Ulster Elks 1 (K Smiley)
Deirdre Duke’s double saw UCD continue their strong start to the women’s EYHL campaign, seeing off student rivals Ulster Elks to sit in third place after four rounds of matches. The Irish international struck early on, flikcing home after a couple of early corners had come to nothing. UCD continued to push on during the second quarter with the Elks dropping deep and looking to counter but no further goals accrued before the break.

The Ulster side did break out of their shell in the second half, winning two consecutive corners and were level when Kathryn Smiley managed to tap in at the back post. Katie Mullan, though, restored the lead for the Dubliners when she drove the ball into the circle, flipped it into the air and slotted home. Duke then created the third for Leah Ewart to tap in from a right baseline cross. Duke then killed off the game with five minutes to go.

Belfast Harlequins 2 (L Johnston, G Frazer) Pembroke 0
Belfast Harlequins recorded their first win in their short EYHL history, Laura Johnston and Gemma Frazer striking in the final quarter to cause Pembroke a few headaches after a fourth straight loss.

Harlequins started the game well and dominated possession. In the 7th minute Gemma Frazer set up Claire Weir who put her reverse stick shot wide and, soon after, Frazer made a decisive run only to be denied by Pembroke’s goal keeper Tiffaney Ellis.

Johnston went close when put through one on one while she also had an effort disallowed before Pembroke came into the game and created two corner chances of their own in a scoreless first half. The third quarter continued to be tight with Quins notching a fourth an fifth corner but did not convert. It made for a tense closing quarter and it was the hosts who took the lead in the 54th minute.

Johnston converted a left wing cross from Lucy Geddes to finally get payment for all the Harlequins pressure. In the 55th minute, Pembroke’s Amy-Kate Trevor was yellow carded for not retreating five metres from a free hit.  During this time, Harlequins confirmed their dominance when Frazer neatly rounded the defender and scored with a clinical reverse stick shot. The hosts did lose two players to sin-bin offences and Pembroke came on strong in the closing stages with a strong shot from Erika Markey was well saved by Jade Lamont.

Hermes-Monkstown 1 (A O’Flanagan) Loreto 0
For the second week running, Anna O’Flanagan struck the only goal of the game to hand Hermes-Monkstown a fourth straight win in the EYHL, denying an impressive Loreto. The game started at a fast pace with Loreto pressing high up the pitch. They had more possession during the first quarter but neither team created any clear cut chances.

The second quarter was also played at a high tempo with both teams passing the ball well. Hermes-Monkstown won a penalty corner but the switch left was closed down.  As time wore on, the game became more and more open. Both teams created chances in the third quarter with Louisa Healy making a few saves and Rosie Carrigan and Sarah Greene making a couple of very good tackles and interceptions.

Hermes-Monkstown scored the only goal when an attack down the right led to a pass across the circle with Anna O'Flanagan sweeping in from around the penalty spot for her 11th goal of the campaign.

The last quarter was very tight with Loreto pressing for an equaliser and Hermes-Monkstown breaking forward when they could. A yellow card slowed down Loreto's play and they weren't able to create a clear chance in front of goal as the Merrion Fleet Arena hosts closed out the result.

Irish Hockey Association media release

Top two women’s hockey teams make it four wins out of four

November meeting in Dublin between Hermes-Monkstown and Cork Harlequins looking more appetising

Mary Hannigan

The November 12th meeting in Dublin between Hermes-Monkstown and Cork Harlequins has an appetising look about it as both sides made it four wins out of four on Saturday in the EY Hockey League.

Harlequins had taken all the points from three away games but Pegasus were their first opponents from the top half of the table. That test got a little sterner when they fell behind in the first quarter to a Katie Morris goal, but by half time they led 2-1, Karen Bateman deflecting home a penalty corner before Rebecca Barry gave the home side the lead. Olivia Roycroft’s drag flick from a penalty corner two minutes into the final quarter sealed the points for Harlequins.

A goal from Anna O’Flanagan gave Hermes-Monkstown victory over Loreto, the score coming in the third quarter of a closely fought game at Rathdown.

UCD kept within two points of the top two by beating Ulster Elks 4-1 at Belfield. Railway Union and Pembroke Wanderers both had unsuccessful trips to the North. Cecelia Joyce levelled for Railway after Lucy McKee had put Ards a goal up, but Chloe Brown’s third-quarter penalty corner was the decider. Goals from Laura Johnston and Gemma Frazer in the final period gave Belfast Harlequins a 2-0 win over Pembroke.

The Irish Times

No. 8 Louisville shuts down No. 6 Northwestern

Louisville Athletics

The Cardinals' 2-0 win Sunday was their sixth shutout of 2016. Louisville Athletics

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The eighth-ranked University of Louisville field hockey team defeated No. 6 Northwestern 2-0 Sunday afternoon at Trager Stadium. Junior Nicole Woods and sophomore Taylor Stone registered a goal apiece and sophomore Ayeisha McFerran had two saves as the Cardinals posted their sixth shutout of the season.

Louisville (11-3) opened the scoring in the eighth minute of the game. Freshman Bethany Russ moved the ball past the 25 yard line and directed a pass into Louisville's offensive circle where Woods deflected the shot into the cage past Northwestern goalkeeper Lindsay von der Luft for her third goal of the season.

The Cardinals took the 1-0 lead into the break after Northwestern held a 4-3 edge in shots and a 2-0 advantage in penalty corners.

Louisville attacked early in the second half, firing off three shots and earning a corner in the first 15 minutes of the period. Von der Luft turned back two of those shots and the other hit the post to keep the score at 1-0.

Midway through the second half, the Cards capitalized on the second of their two corners in the contest. Senior Stephanie Byrne got the corner started and junior Marigrace Ragsdale provided the stop for sophomore Taylor Stone who notched her fourth goal of the season to put Louisville up 2-0 at the 54:03 mark in the game.

The Wildcats (10-4) appeared to pull within a goal six minutes later when Dominique Masters sent the ball toward the cage and Pescale Massey deflected it into the cage, but the goal was disallowed due to a dangerous hit.

With 5:27 remaining in the game, Northwestern pulled von der Luft out of the cage in favor of an extra field player and increased its attack in their offensive circle, but the Cardinals defense held the Wildcats at bay for the 2-0 win.

In the game, Louisville outshot Northwestern 9-4 while the Wildcats held a 3-2 edge in corners. McFerran (10-3) had two saves in her fifth shutout of the season. Von der Luft (10-4) had four saves.

"After Friday night's performance, we really wanted to get back to our identity and the way we play hockey," Louisville coach Justine Sowry said. "We had to take a look at our press and our big message was 'do your job'… defensively we did that much better and with the ball, we had to get back to how we play hockey, and that's to pass the ball and have that 360 degree support. And we were able to do that. I thought Northwestern came back and started to control it a little bit in the second half, but credit to our defense for holding strong."


Penn field hockey rides shutout defense to pair of weekend victories

Hoover, Schneck provide offensive fireworks

By Tyler Shevin

Freshman Alexa Schneck sealed the win for Penn field hockey on Friday, scoring the game's lone goal in double overtime against Dartmouth. Photo by Maddie Vaziri

Trying to score against the Quakers this week? Good luck.

Penn field hockey defeated Dartmouth and Temple, both in shutouts, this weekend. The Red and Blue continued their successful season, mixing stellar defense with effective scoring plays, as junior goalkeeper Liz Mata did not allow a single goal in either game.

On Friday, Penn (8-3, 2-1 Ivy) visited Dartmouth (3-8, 0-4) and won a 1-0 thriller in double overtime. Penn came in confident after last year’s 3-2 overtime victory against the Big Green.

Although Penn controlled the game throughout, with 27 shots compared to Dartmouth’s seven and 11 shots on goal compared to five, the game remained scoreless through regulation and the first overtime period. Freshman back Alexa Schneck broke the tie with a game-winning shot to the left post.

“Everyone was just going crazy. The smile on her face was usual; she’s a very happy kid. I think it meant a lot to her and she’s still on cloud nine, I can tell,” junior attack Alexa Hoover said. “That’s good for her, as a freshman, that’s definitely a big confidence booster.”

“She played a great game, from start to finish, so I can’t say I was surprised that she was the one who had the winning goal for us,” coach Colleen Fink added. “I think that was kind of a nice reward for her for playing as hard as she did. She generated a lot of offensive scoring opportunities for us.”

Goalkeeper Liz Mata had five saves, protecting the net for all of regulation and both overtime periods.

“I think really it’s our composure and mindset coming into the game,” Mata said. “We come in thinking, ‘we are not going to get scored on.’”

The Quakers have experienced multiple long games this year with four overtime games, including three double-overtime contests.

“We just tell them to not worry about the results and play as hard as they can and live in the moment, not worry about mistakes, because they are going to happen. And just to play as smart and as strong as possible,” the seventh-year coach said.

“It shows that we are very resilient and never want to give up. We are going to keep pushing ourselves to the very end,” Hoover added.

On Sunday, Penn hosted Temple (5-9, 2-2 Big East) at Ellen Vagelos Field and won easily in a 3-0 shutout. Temple has controlled the series historically, leading 26-11 coming into Sunday. However, Penn dominated throughout the contest.

Senior midfielder Elise Tilton struck first for the Quakers, scoring just six minutes into the game. Hoover added two goals in the second half, both assisted both by junior attack Rachel Huang and sophomore center back Paige Meily.

In the second half, the Owls had several opportunities to score, but Penn’s defense remained tough and prevented Temple from capitalizing.

“I think defensively we have been doing a really good job just overall from the start of the season,” Fink said.

With the win, Penn improved to 4-2 at home. Penn next faces Columbia at Vagelos Field on Friday.

Fink said during practice this week, the Quakers will focus on baseline defense and scoring at the top.

The Daily Pennsylvanian

1st 5-a-side Senior Hockey National Championship from Oct 26

Pune: The first Hockey India 5-a-side Senior National Championship 2016 (Men and Women) will be held at Shiv Chattrapati Sports Complex at Balewadi here from October 26 to 30.

To be hosted by Hockey Maharashtra, the championship will have eight teams: Association of Indian Universities, Hockey Haryana, Hockey Jharkhand, Hockey Karnataka, Hockey Maharashtra, Hockey Odisha, Hockey Punjab and Uttar Pradesh Hockey.

This explosive short format of field hockey played for the first time in India under the aegis of Hockey India will be conducted on a 38.5m x 22.5m size indoor court.

It is being seen as one of the key development for the sport worldwide. The objective of Hockey 5's is to allow flexibility so that it can be played on any surface and on different sized pitches, according to a Hockey India release.

A match will consist of three periods of 10 minutes each with an interval of 3 minutes between the periods. Some of the key differences from field hockey are in terms of the ways goals are scored and penalties imposed.

Unlike traditional hockey, goals in 5s don't have to be scored from inside the circle. A goal is awarded when the ball crosses the line from anywhere on the court. In addition, the ball is moved using a push, scoop or flick and no hitting is allowed as it is being played at an indoor arena.

In terms of fouls, only free hits and challenges are awarded for respective offences by an attacker or defender. A challenge is similar to the way shootouts are conducted in modern hockey. Free hits and fouls follow the same rules as modern hockey as well.
Speaking about the tournament, Hockey India Secretary General Md. Mushtaque Ahmad said, "Hockey 5s is an exciting format, that has gained a lot of popularity internationally as an alternative to the traditional game. With the introduction of the Hockey India National Championship we can analyse and see how the format can help us build a fan base as well as a player base at the grassroots level. It is a very spectator friendly format of the sport sport, so we are keenly looking forward to it."

The Times of India

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author