Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 27 August 2018

All the news for Monday 17 August 2018

2018 Asian Games - Day 8
Jakarta (INA)

Men's results 26 August

Pool A     10:00     SRI - INA     3 - 1
Pool A     12:00     HKG - JPN     0 - 13
Pool B     14:00     OMA - KAZ     4 - 0
Pool B     16:00     THA - BAN     1 - 3
Pool A     18:00     KOR - IND     3 - 5
Pool B     20:00     PAK - MAS     4 - 1

Pool Standings


  Played Won Draw Lost GD Points
India 4 4 0 0 53 12
Korea 4 3 0 1 32 9
Japan 4 3 0 1 22 9
Sri Lanka 4 2 0 2 -14 6
Indonesia 4 0 0 4 -36 0
Hong Kong China 4 0 0 4 -52 0

Pool B

  Played Won Draw Lost GD Points
Pakistan 4 4 0 0 39 12
Malaysia 4 3 0 1 28 9
Bangladesh 4 3 0 1 1 9
Oman 4 2 0 2 -5 6
Thailand 4 0 0 4 -24 0
Kazakhstan 4 0 0 4 -39 0

Asian Hockey Federation

India wins but loses the rhythm

s2h Team

The Indian juggernaut did not roll smoothly today despite initial indications sounded otherwise. Starting on electric phase India stunned the mighty South Koreans with a goal inside first thirty seconds after the ball was set in motion, and added another one three minutes later to make a dream (2-0) start one would have asked for. For a while it appeared India will smash another record, which had been its trend in the past week, but the Koreans consumed another shocker within seconds from the start of second quarter (3-0) before coming out strongly, dominate the field proceedings for next two quarters which saw narrowing down of what looked an unassailable score to 3-2. The Koreans are the only team so far to breach the Indian citadel here in Jakarta.

Then came the Manpreet Singh stunner that turned the match in India's favour once for all. Fleet-footed Manpreet Singh turned in a Champagne stuff in the 49th minute. Getting peach of a feed from Akashdeep Singh, he took a strong reverse hit in an one-to-one situation against the goalie, to see the ball crash into the cage (4-3). The way the goal was conceived and executed really spoke about the kind of fire the team stocks in its belly.

Korean coach Kim Young Kyu soon changed goalie Doopyo Hong with Sa Young Lee.

India and Korea added a goal each to their tally before full time, but the message of the day was that India need to be cautious as business end of the Asian Games hockey approaches. India was not as solid in its defence against Korea as it was so far here. Koreans did not have enough exposure and experience but never fall short of aggression which they proved today.

Later after the match, Pakistan easily overcame Malaysia to top its pool. Now, both India and Pakistan have won all their four matches and top their pools. Therefore, there is no semifinal clash between them.

Both teams need to play a match more. Only after that the second placed team in the pool A can be arrived at. Korea and Japan have same win-loss and points record. Korea has better goal difference, need just a draw to take on Pakistan in the semis. Whereas Japan need to beat Korea to stake its semi-final claim.

Japan-Korea match is schedule for Tuesday, the last pool match of the ongoing Asian Games.


India survives Korea scare

Uthra Ganesan

India's players celebrate after scoring a goal against South Korea during the men's hockey pool A match at the 18th Asian Games in Jakarta on August 26, 2018. Photo Credit: AFP

Even though it was India’s fourth consecutive win in the pool, it was a far from impressive display from Harendra Singh’s men.

Two goals in three minutes into the second half was the wake up call the Indian men’s hockey team needed to up its game against Korea in Pool A. India eventually won 5-3 but not before Korea gave a scare to Sreejesh and his men on Sunday.

As it stands, the win put India firmly on top of the table with a humongous goal difference and game against Sri Lanka in hand before the semifinals where it is likely to face Malaysia which lost 4-1 to Pakistan in the last league game of the day to be placed second in Pool B for the time being.

It looked to be yet another one-sided encounter in the tournament for India that has steamrollered all opposition so far before the double strike by Korean captain Manjae Jung in the 33rd and 35th minutes stunned the Indians. Till then, the defending champion had been cruising along, dominating and attacking at will even as Korea sat back and relied on counters.

The opening goal came in the first minute through a penalty stroke and the next four minutes later, Chinglensana deflecting a Manpreet free hit in. A third lifted in over the head of the Korean goalkeeper put India in control. Jung’s twin strikes past a lethargic defence, however, put the fight back into the Indian side as it went out to restore its lead successfully.

Coach Harendra Singh, however, looked at the positives, giving credit to his team for picking up the intensity after the two setbacks. The team, though, would be hoping there would be no more here on.

The Hindu

Indian men beat Korea 5-3 to enter semifinals in hockey

Indian men's hockey team India's players celebrate after scoring a goal against South Korea during the men''s hockey pool A match on Sunday. , AFP

Defending champions India continued their unbeaten run and beat South Korea 5-3 in a pool match to storm into the semi-finals of the men's hockey competition at the 18th Asian Games on Sunday.

India scored through Rupinder Pal Singh (1st minute), Chinglensana Singh (4th), Lalit Upadhyay (15th), Manpreet Singh (49th) and Akashdeep Singh (55th), while Korea's goals came from the sticks of Manjae Jung (33rd, 35th) and Jonghyun Jang (59th).

By virtue of this result, India are leading in Pool A with 12 points from four victories. The title holders will play lowly Sri Lanka in their last pool engagement.

Even though it was India's fourth consecutive win in the pool, it was a far from impressive display from Harendra Singh's men against the Koreans.

In their previous three games, the Indians had thrashed Indonesia 17-0 before registering a record 26-0 win over Hong Kong China and 8-0 victory over Japan.

Going by international ranking, the gulf between world no.5 India and their no.14 opponents was quite evident in the first two quarters, but the Koreans gained confidence after the change of ends, and surprisingly, controlled the game in the third quarter.

But it was India who started with a bang and scored as early as the opening minute when Rupinder scored from the spot after being awarded a penalty stroke.

The Indians continued to press hard and doubled their lead in the fourth minute through Chinglensana, who neatly deflected in a Rupinder free hit from outside the circle.India soon earned back-to-back penalty corners but wasted both.

Seconds into the second quarter, an unmarked Lalit beautifully pushed in Simranjeet Singh's aerial ball from deep to make the scoreline 3-0 in favour of India.

But, after the change of ends, the Koreans looked a different side and dominated the Indians.

Korea reduced the margin in the 33rd minute when Jung scored from a penalty corner variation and then two minutes later, their captain again found the back of the net to stun the Indians.

The holders, however, regained their composure and grip over the proceedings in the fourth quarter, which resulted in two beautiful reverse hit field goals from the sticks of Manpreet and Akashdeep.

Korea earned three back-to-back penalty corners in the dying minutes of the game, courtesy a defensive error from Rupinder, and Jang converted in the third attempt.

India's chief coach Harendra Singh will not be a happy man with his wards' performance, especially with the fact that they wasted five penalty corners despite having four dragflikers in the squad.

Daily News & Analysis

Pakistan outplay Malaysia 4-1; virtually assured to top the pool

After three huge wins against the minnows, Pakistan had their first real test at the Asian Games Hockey. They came across Malaysia who too had won their three games comprehensively.

The first half saw more or less an even contest and it was 1-1 after 30 minutes.

But the Green Shirts were easily the better side in the next half an hour and went out with a well deserved 4-1 victory.

After Malaysia's first penalty corner was well anticipated by the net minder Imran Butt in the third minute, Pakistan went ahead with their opening PC in the sixth minute. Experienced Irfan Senior's well directed flick found the middle of the net's left side.

Pakistan's two reverse attempts from top of the circle were well taken by the Malaysian goal keeper Kumar.

Malaysia equalised in the 11th minute also through a PC. Faiz Halmi Jali's flat and angular push completely deceived the Pakistani defenders and Imran Butt.

Second period was also even. Pakistan twice had back to back penalty corners but some good rushing didnt let them avail any of the four. Malaysia relying mainly on the counters had two excellent opportunities but  couldn't make them count; once the ball came off the pole.

The third quarter saw Pakistan firing on all the cylinders. The ball mostly remained in their opponents' territory. They had three back to back penalty corners but first the rusher and then the poorly executed indirect attempts denied them the goal. Soon the 9th PC was also wasted.

However, the persistent pressure paid off. In the 38th minute Ali Shan brilliantly penetrated into the circle from the left. His parallel hit was easily caressed in by Ajaz Ahmad standing unmarked close to the opposite pool.

Four minutes later, it was 3-1 as the 10th PC was converted. Mubashar Ali's fast and strong flick found the left side of the tin.

Just two minutes into the fourth quarter, Pakistan's fourth goal arrived. A swift move saw Malaysian defence in tatters and Ajaz Ahmad in the centre of the circle applied the finishing touch for his second of the evening.

Green Shirts apparently took the foot off the gas in the last minutes. Malaysia did have a couple of field chances and a penalty corner but failed to reduce the margin.

Pakistan's last pool match is against Bangladesh who have three wins and one loss.
Barring a big defeat against them, which is most unlikely, Pakistan are assured of not only the semi final spot but also winning their pool.

Pakistan: Ajaz Ahmad 2, M.Irfan Senior (PC), Mubashar Ali (PC)
Malaysia: Faiz Helmi Jali

PHF Media release

Pakistan win to avoid India in semi final

By Shahid Khan

Pakistan's Muhammad Irfan celebrates with teammates after scoring a gaol agains Malaysia - AFP

Pakistan hockey team maintained their impressive form winning their fourth match in a row in men’s hockey competition at Asian Games as they thrashed 12th ranked Malaysia 4-1 in Jakarta.

Both the teams have qualified for semi-finals of the competition after   the preliminary round, in which Pakistan will now play their last match against Bangladesh on Tuesday.

Having thrashed both Thailand and Oman 10-0 and Kazakhstan (16-0) in their previous pool B matches, Pakistan entered the game on an almost unprecedented high.

However, the team also knew that in Malaysia they would face a much tougher side than the previous three that had allowed them to score at will.

Muhammad Irfan gave Greenshirts the lead by converting a penalty corner in the 6th minute.

However, Malaysia’s Faiz Helmi Jali did exactly the same four minutes later as Pakistani defence conceded their first goal of the tournament.

The score remained 1-1 until half time before Ajaz Ahmad gave Pakistan the lead in the 3rd quarter which also saw Mubashar Ali finding the net to double their lead.
Ajaz scored the game's final goal two minutes from the final hooter to give Pakistan a relatively hard-fought, yet still quite comfortable victory.

Earlier in the day India holders of the title and 5th World ranked also registered their 4th consecutive victory in the pool winning 5-3 thus securing a semi –final berth.
Former hockey giants – Pakistan and India find themselves topping their respective groups and therefore on course to meet in the final on Saturday.

Fieldhockey.com - Exclusive

Pakistan outclass Malaysia 4-1 to storm into semi-finals

Muhammad Ali

JAKARTA: Pakistan hockey squad maintained their winning spree in the 2018 Asian Games when they defeated Malaysia 4-1 – their fourth straight victory of the tournament — at Gelora Bung Karno Stadium here on Sunday to storm into semi-finals. Malaysia will face India in the semi-finals after Stephen Van Huizen’s side were hammered by Pakistan in the Group B match. World No 13 Pakistan will wrap up their group campaign against Bangladesh while 12th-ranked Malaysia will take on Oman, both on Tuesday. The semi-finals are scheduled to take place on August 30, with the final will be played on September 1.

Having thrashed Thailand, Oman and Kazakhstan by a collective scoreline of 36-0 in their first three matches, Pakistan entered the game on an almost unprecedented high. However, the team also knew that in Malaysia they would face a much tougher side than the previous three that had allowed them to score at will. It was an insipid performance by the Malaysians as Pakistan seized the initiative and made count the chances they created.

The opening goal of the game came in the sixth minute when Muhammad Irfan converted a penalty corner to put his side 1-0 up. However, the lead only lasted five minutes as Malaysia drew level through Faiz Helmi Jali. With Malaysia down to 10 players following Faiz’s yellow card, Pakistan took advantage of the numerical advantage. With both the teams neck and neck and unwilling to given any edge to the opposition, Pakistan’s Ajaz Ahmad finally succeeded to get the crucial go-ahead strike. That goal sapped the energy out of the Malaysian backline as Pakistan struck again four minutes later, with Mubashar Ali finding the net this time.

At the end of the third period, Pakistan were 3-1 up and, not for the first time in the tournament, in the driving position. Two minutes from the full-time whistle, Ajaz scored the game’s final goal to give Pakistan a relatively hard-fought, yet still quite comfortable victory. With another three points earned, Pakistan now have a total of 12 to their name – good enough to go on top of the Pool B points table. So far, the Pakistan athletes in Indonesia have managed to win two bronze medals. The hockey team represent the national contingent’s best hope for a gold medal. Hockey at the Asian Games is always a highlight and this year sees one of the biggest fields of competitors with 12 men’s teams and 10 women’s teams all searching for that most sought after of prizes — to be the first nation to qualify for a place at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

Pakistan’s medal tally in 15 hockey tournaments of the Asian Games is eight gold, three silver and three bronze medals- hockey was not included in the first two Asiads, in 1951 and 1954. From 1958 to 1990, Pakistan claimed seven gold and two silver medals in nine consecutive Asian Games, a remarkable sequence. This included four consecutive golds from 1970 to 1982. But in the next four Asian Games, Pakistan failed to reach even the final. In 1994, 1998 and 2006, Pakistan were third. In 2002 Pakistan failed to climb on to the podium, losing to Malaysia in the bronze medal play-off. In 2010, the Green Shirts regained the gold after 20 years. The first place also gave them an automatic qualification for the 2012 Olympics. At the last Asian Games, in 2014, Pakistan again managed to reach the final where they met India. Pakistan had defeated India in the pool match. The final was an exciting game between the two traditional rivals. It was 1-1 after the regular time. However, Pakistan went down in the shootout. Thus, they lost the chance to get an automatic qualification for the Olympics.

The Daily Times

Pakistan qualify for Asian Games hockey semis after beating Malaysia 4-1

Pakistan's Ajaz Ahmad (3L) and Muhammad Atiq (2R) celebrate after score a goal against Malaysia during the men's hockey pool B match in Jakarta on August 26, 2018. PHOTO: AFP

ISLAMABAD: A 13th ranked Pakistan team recorded their fourth win in a row in the men’s hockey competition of the Asian Games on Sunday as they thrashed 12th ranked Malaysia 4-1 in Jakarta.

Both the teams have qualified for semi-finals of the competition after the preliminary round, in which Pakistan will now play their last match against Bangladesh on Tuesday.

For Pakistan, Ejaz Ahmed scored two goals while Mubasshir Ali and Mohammad Irfan hit the goal post once each.

Pakistan won all their first three matches with big margins – 10-0 against Thailand, 10-0 against Oman and 16-0 against Kazakhstan.

The semi-final is scheduled to take place on August 30, with the final to be played on September 1.

The Express Tribune

Blow for Malaysia as they lose to Pakistan

MALAYSIA’S hopes of securing a safe passage to the hockey final has taken a massive blow.

The team lost 4-1 to Pakistan in the Group B match at the Gelora Bung Karno Hockey Stadium last night and will most probably cross path with defending champions and world No. 5 India in the semi-finals.

Pakistan top the table with 12 points while Malaysia are second with nine points.

Pakistan are expected to top the group unbeaten when they take on Bangladesh in their final match tomorrow.

Malaysia’s last match in the group is against Oman.

Group B champions will take on Group A runners-up, which could be one of these teams – Japan, South Korea or Taiwan. Group B runners-up face Group A champions India.

Yesterday, Pakistan’s goals were scored by Muhammad Irfan (fifth minute), Ajaz Ahmad (37th, 46th), Mubashar Ali (42nd) while Malaysia’s solitary goal came through Faiz Helmi Jali (10th).

Malaysia’s coach Stephen Van Huizen said the turning point was when Fitri Saari and Faiz were sent to the sin bin in the second half.

“It was hard to defend with nine players against a good team like Pakistan. They capitalised on the situation to take the lead ... we tried to narrow the deficit but they played well,” said Stephen.

“We’ll have a tougher match against India in the semi-final but it’s not an impossible match to win. We were not the favourites in the 2010 Asiad but defeated India to advance to the final.”

The Star of Malaysia

Pakistan sink Malaysia

Malaysia's Mohd Fitri Saari (R) and Pakistan's Muhammad Irfan (L) fight for the ball during the men's hockey pool B match between Malaysia and Pakistan at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta on August 26, 2018. (Photo by AAMIR QURESHI / AFP)

JAKARTA: Malaysia will face India in the Asian Games semi-finals after Stephen Van Huizen’s side were hammered 4-1 by Pakistan in a Group B match at the GBK Stadium on Sunday.

World No 13 Pakistan will wrap up their group campaign against Bangladesh while 12th-ranked Malaysia will take on Oman, both on Tuesday.

It was an insipid performance by the Malaysians as Pakistan seized the initiative and made count the chances they created.

Pakistan scored their first goal off a penalty corner attempt through Muhammad Irfan who sent a low flick past Malaysian goalkeeper S. Kumar in the sixth minute.

However, the lead only lasted five minutes as Malaysia drew level through Faiz Helmi Jali.

With Malaysia down to 10 players following Faiz’s yellow card, Pakistan took advantage of the numerical advantage to take the lead in the 38th minute via Ajaz Ahmad.

Mubashar Ali then converted a penalty corner in the 42nd minute before Ajaz added a fourth in the 47th minute.

New Straits Times

Sukri: Malaysia do not fear India

By Azidan Nahar, Azlan Muhammad Zain

(File pix) National captain Sukri Mutalib (right) in action during a match against Australia. Pix by Muhaizan Yahya

JAKARTA: National captain Sukri Mutalib believes the likely semi-final encounter against India at the Asian Games on Thursday will be a close affair.

Although, there are another round of matches in Group B, World No 12 Malaysia and Pakistan are expected to earn maximum points against lowly Oman and Bangladesh, respectively on Tuesday.

Malaysia failed in their goal to top the group following Sunday’s 4-1 defeat to World No 13 Pakistan in Jakarta.

World No 5 India have topped Group A with a flawless record.

“It will be a 50-50 affair against India. The team that make fewer mistakes will win this match.

“We need to take all our chances and also must be tight at the back,” said Sukri.

India, the defending champions, are the favourites to win the Asian Games gold medal for an automatic berth to the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

“It is important that we maintain our focus and also do not fall apart from defeats.

“A team can sometimes do better after learning from defeats, and we must bounce back against India.

“As a captain, I will do my best and I hope others will follow suit.

“We will study India’s strategies in their previous matches and come up with an effective method for the semi-finals,” Sukri added.

New Straits Times

Like 2010 India-Malaysia and Pakistan-South Korea semifinals on cards

India records against minnows Thailand and Sri Lanka: All wins with clear slate

B.G.Joshi (Sehore-Bhopal, India)

Vandana Kataria (210 caps, 50+ goals) – experienced winger/striker played extremely well   against mighty Koreans in Jakarta.

India's men’s and women’s teams have both have entered in semifinals of Asian Games. Last pool matches are insignificant for India.

India women against Thailand (Aug 27) and Indian men against Sri Lanka (Aug 28).

They have all wins records with clear slate. Here are statistical highlights:
India vs. Thailand (women): Head to head











In Asian Games





Biggest wins 16-0 in Hong Kong Asia Cup-2007

 India vs. Sri Lanka (men):  Head to head











In Asian Games





Biggest wins 21-0 in Colombo Test Match-1935


Hockey Series Open - Vilnius 2018 (Women) - Final day
Vilnius (LTU)

Results 26 August

CZE v UKR (RR)     0 - 1
LTU v WAL (RR)     3 - 1

Pool Standings

Rank Team Played Wins Draws Losses Goals For Goals Against Goal Difference Points
1 Ukraine 4 4 0 0 9 1 8 12
2 Czech Republic 4 2 0 2 11 7 4 6
3 Wales 4 2 0 2 5 4 1 6
4 Lithuania 4 1 1 2 5 7 -2 4
5 Turkey 4 0 1 3 2 13 -11 1

FIH Match Centre

Ukraine women storm to Hockey Series Open success in Vilnius

Ukraine upset the FIH Hero World Rankings by claiming a first place finish at the women’s Hockey Series Open competition in Vilnius, Lithuania, winning all four of their matches in the five-nation round-robin event to secure a safe passage through to the next phase of the competition.

The 100 percent winning streak ensured that the 27th-ranked Ukrainians finished at the top of the standings with 12 points, ahead of two higher-ranked nations in the shape of Czech Republic and Wales, who currently sit 19th and 26th in the rankings, respectively.

It was a terrific result for the side captained by veteran star Yana Vorushylo, who guided Ukraine to wins over Lithuania (2-0), Wales (1-0), and Turkey (5-1) before claiming a crucial 1-0 triumph over Czech Republic thanks to a late penalty corner strike from Olha Honcharenko to earn a fully deserved competition victory.

Ukraine will be joined in the next phase of competition by second placed Czech Republic and Wales, who finished third. Twenty-one year old Katerina Jelinkova was in sparkling form for the Czech Republic, scoring four times in four matches (three penalty corners, one field goal) as her team finished with two wins from four matches, claiming second place ahead of Wales on goal difference. The meeting between the two sides saw Wales claim a superb 3-0 victory with Joanne Westwood, Phoebe Richards and Beth Bingham all on target, but a 3-1 loss at the hands of host nation Lithuania on the final day of competition ended Welsh hopes of finishing second in the standings.

Lithuania (WR:36) finished fourth in the table having earned four points from their four matches, with early defeats against the in-form Ukraine and Czech Republic (4-2) certainly not helping their cause before earning a 0-0 draw against higher-ranked Turkey (WR:33) - who finished bottom of the table - ahead of their fine victory over Wales.

The event in Vilnius took place from 21-26 August, pitting some of Europe’s up-and-coming nations against each other as a numerous nations begin their journey towards possible qualification for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. The top three placed teams from Vilnius have all qualified for one of three Hockey Series Finals events, which will be played in 2019. Each of these Hockey Series Finals events will consist of eight teams and will take place throughout the world, with berths into the Olympic Qualification Events up for grabs.

The next Hockey Series Open event will take place in Gniezno, Poland from 28 August to 2nd September and will feature the men of Poland, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Italy, Lithuania and Cyprus all in action.


FIH site

New Faces In Hockeyroos Team For Japan Four Nations

Ben Somerford

Hockey Australia today announces the 18-member Hockeyroos team which will compete at next month’s Four Nations Women's Ibaraki International Tournament in Japan.

Third-ranked Australia will come up against South Korea (10th), United States (12th) and hosts Japan (14th) in the event which runs from 12-16 September at the OIC Field at the Ritsumeikan University Osaka Ibaraki Campus. South Korea have replaced Argentina, following their withdrawal from the Four Nations last week.

The event gives the Hockeyroos a taste of Japanese conditions with less than two years until the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

From the team which competed at the 2018 Women’s World Cup in London and finished fourth, there are numerous changes, including opportunities from uncapped trio Hayley Padget, Sophie Taylor and Rebecca Greiner.

Melbourne-based midfielder Padget, 25, and defender Taylor, 22, are both part of the National Development Squad, while Bundaberg forward Greiner, 19, comes from the National Junior Squad.

Blackbutt midfielder Mikaela Patterson, 21, is the other team member from outside the National Senior Squad although she debuted against Japan in Adelaide last November.

Hockeyroos coach Paul Gaudoin said: “It’s exciting to provide this opportunity to some new faces at an international level and expose the Hockeyroos to Japanese conditions within two years of the Tokyo Olympics.

“On the additions from outside the National Senior Squad, Rebecca’s performance at the National Under-21 Championships and her performances in her local daily training environment has brought her to the attention of the National Selectors.

“Hayley, Sophie and Mikaela had all been in Perth on Visiting Athlete Agreement scholarships prior to the World Cup and earlier in the year and performed well. That combined with their performances in their daily training environments has warranted their respective call-ups.”

Jane Claxton returns following a hamstring injury, while goalkeeper Ashlee Wells and defender Ashlea Fey are also included after missing World Cup selection.

Several senior members from the World Cup team have been omitted, with Gaudoin eager to explore his playing options.

The Hockeyroos team is due to fly to Japan on Thursday 6 September, ahead of their opening match of the Four Nations against Japan on Wednesday 12 September.

The group will also spend a day in Tokyo where they will visit the Hockey facilities for the 2020 Olympics.

The Japan Hockey Association will live stream each game online, with link details to be shared closer to the first match. Follow @Hockeyroos on Twitter for live commentary too.

Hockeyroos team for Four-Nations:
Jocelyn Bartram (Albury, NSW)
Kristina Bates (Mont Albert, VIC)
Edwina Bone (Orange, NSW) *Plays for ACT
Lily Brazel (Sydney, NSW) *Plays for VIC
Jane Claxton (Adelaide, SA)
Ashlea Fey (Sunshine Coast, QLD)
Madison Fitzpatrick (Cabarita Beach, NSW) *Plays for QLD
Savannah Fitzpatrick (Cabarita Beach, NSW) *Plays for QLD
Rebecca Greiner (Bundaberg, QLD)
Stephanie Kershaw (Townsville, QLD)
Ambrosia Malone (Burleigh, QLD)
Georgina Morgan (Armidale, NSW)
Hayley Padget (Doncaster, VIC)
Mikaela Patterson (Blackbutt, NSW)
Grace Stewart (Gerringong, NSW)
Renee Taylor (Everton Park, QLD)
Sophie Taylor (Camberwell, VIC)
Ashlee Wells (Morwell, VIC)

Match Schedule:
Wednesday 12 September 2018 5:30pm AEST – South Korea v USA
Wednesday 12 September 2018 7:30pm AEST – Japan v Australia
Thursday 13 September 2018 5:30pm AEST – Australia v South Korea
Thursday 13 September 2018 7:30pm AEST – Japan v USA
Saturday 15 September 2018 3pm AEST – Australia v USA
Saturday 15 September 2018 5pm AEST – Japan v South Korea
Sunday 16 September 2018 2:45pm AEST – Third place play-off
Sunday 16 September 2018 5pm AEST – Final

Hockey Australia media release

Another exciting draw in Walcz as Scotland and Poland u21 go toe-to-toe

An exciting and competitive encounter between Scotland and Poland U21 men ended in an entertaining 3-3 draw in Walcz. It follows the 2-2 draw the previous day with both competitive matches ending honours even, and with the Scotland squad introducing many U18 players to their first taste of U21 hockey.

Scotland started the match strongly, edging the opening quarter possession. It was in the second quarter that their vibrant play brought about the opening goal of the match. A Scotland free hit on the left allowed James Nairn to fizz the ball into Kyle Gladwin who deflected the ball into the roof of the net for a sublime finish to take the lead.

It didn’t take long for the Scots to double their advantage; Andrew McConnell took the ball in his own half and powered forward at pace into the Polish D, he slipped the ball to the far post and Owen Jenkins-Garcia slid in to prod the ball into the net for 2-0.

Poland pulled one back on the cusp of half time. The home side was awarded back-to-back penalty corners; the first was well saved but the second was slammed home to bring the sides in at 2-1 to Scotland at half time.

Scotland had chances to further their advantage in the third quarter, particularly through two penalty corner opportunities. The first was flicked high and saved well, while the second was saved low with Fraser Heigh zipping the rebound over the bar on the reverse.

With ten minutes remaining in the fourth quarter Scotland got their deserved third goal. Again McConnell powered into the D and slipped it for Jack Jamieson to slide in and finish for 3-1.

The Poles quickly struck back with a powerful penalty corner blasting into the net at the left of the goalkeeper.

Then with just under two minutes remaining in Walcz Poland equalised taking advantage of a slow Scottish set-up to engineer a two-v-two opportunity, they dribbled into the D and eventually forced the ball home in the second phase to make it 3-3.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

The Blyde River Bunters and the Drakensberg Dragons are 2018 CTM Premier Hockey League Champions

Photo: Sean Burke

The Blyde River Bunters secured their second South African CTM Premier Hockey League title when they overcame the Madikwe Rangers in a tense battle at Randburg Astro this afternoon. In the men’s tournament there was a new champion as the Drakensberg Dragons emerged victorious in the battle with the Addo Elephants.

A near capacity crowd at Randburg Astro welcomed the ladies onto the pitch for the 2018 CTM Premier Hockey League final. In a repeat of the 2016 final the Blyde River Bunters were looking for their second title while the Rangers were looking for their first.

Much of the early game was down to a titanic midfield tussle led by Izelle Verster for the Bunters and Lisa-Marie Deetlefs for the Rangers. There were some unbelievable lines run by the Bunters forward duo of Thati Segoale and Courtney du Preez, but the final ball was just not arriving for the 2016 champions. Monique Bartsch was particularly impressive for the Rangers who also couldn’t get through the opposition backline.

In a game of only four shots on target, split evenly, just 38 circle penetrations and only three penalty corners it was always going to come down to who took their opportunity. Unfortunately for the Rangers the answer to that question was Izelle Verster for the Bunters. Verster turned on the top D to create space and fire a low finish past Modipane in the Rangers goal. That goal for Verster added to her assist in the 2016 final for the Bunters when she had set up Kaydee Miller for one turned out to be the championship winning goal.

As the Rangers tried to force their way back into the game Lisa-Marie Deetlefs tried to gain traction in the final the Bunters raised their work load and blunted attack after attack with Jessica De Bruyn-Smith and Carmen Smith being particularly impressive. When Sylvia van Jaarsveldt missed a golden chance to beat Phumi Mbande in the Bunter goals in the last minute it was to the sheer delight of Marcelle Keet and her Bunters team, becoming champions for the second time in three years.

“The grit and display are a culture of the Bunters. We had a great team plan from Marcel and the coaching staff to press high up and we are delighted it came off! Champions, yeh!!” shared an elated Bunters captain Phumelela Mbande

Photo: Sean Burke

Having both tasted defeat in the final before both the Drakensberg Dragons and the Addo Elephants were keen to add a gold medal to their collection, unfortunately only one of them would be able to do so.

The Elephants were up against it early though as Bili Ntuli gave the Dragons the lead in the third minute. A penalty corner by Matt de Sousa was parried away by Matthew Martins but after a short scramble in the circle Ntuli fired it home with clinical quality. Paired with his semi-final goal and his IPT final winning goal it’s further cementing his reputation as a big game goal scorer!

The Dragons didn’t need to wait too long for their second goal and when it came it was a real moment of quality. In the 20th minute they won the ball out of defence, Richard Pautz traded passes with Francois Pretorius who then fed Ntuli up in the circle. His shot was superbly saved by Martins, but it fell to Pautz who lifted the ball before smashing it into the net.

The Elephants were producing moments of true beauty in the middle of the park but were making mistakes around the circle and in truth Gowan Jones had very little to do in the Dragons goals for much of the match.

To their credit the Elephants refused to lie down and after pulling their keeper off for the final five minutes gave it their all to at least get a consolation goal, while Dan Bell was mopping up anything that came through to the back. They were unfortunately unable to break down the resolute Dragons backline and had to make due with another silver medal.

Victory confirmed another title for Sihle Ntuli as coach after his African Youth Games with the Under `18’s as well as the IPT with Kwazulu Natal Raiders earlier this year, further cementing his status as one of South Africa’s best coaches.

“Its been three years for us to get to this position. It’s a 23-man squad and every single one of the team played an important role in the title. If you get two clean sheets in the knock out stages, you probably deserve to win the title and we are chuffed with doing just that! “shared victorious captain Jethro Eustice.

In the other games on the day, the St. Lucia Lakers took advantage of an off-colour performance by the Orange River Rafters to win the bronze medal with a 3-0-win courtesy of goals by Stephanie Baxter, Shelley Jones and Kara Botes. In the Men’s bronze medal match it was a shootout success for the Gazelles to win the bronze, their best PHL finish. There was one goal in each quarter with Brynn Cleak scoring in the first for the Cavemen, Michael Abrahams in the second for the Gazelles, Brandon James in the third for the Gazelles and Rusten Abrahams in the fourth for the Cavemen sending the game to shootouts.

CTM Premier Hockey League Final Day Results

Women’s 3/4th Place Playoff – Private Property St. Lucia Lakers 3-0 Italtile Orange River Rafters
Men’s 3/4th Place Playoff – Origins Maropeng Cavemen (0) *2-2 (2) Garden Route Gazelles

Womens Final – Tivoli Taps Blyde River Bunters 1-0 Top T Madikwe Rangers
Men’s Final – Kilimanjaro Addo Elephants 0-2 Pro Grip Drakensberg Dragons.

CTM Premier Hockey League Individual Awards

Top Goal scorer (W) – Carmen Smith (Blyde River Bunters)
Top Goal scorer (M) – Richard Pautz (Drakensberg Dragons)
Goalkeeper of the Tournament (W) – Phumelela Mbande (Blyde River Bunters)
Goalkeeper of the Tournament (M) – Siya Nolutshungu (Garden Route Gazelles)
Young Player of the Tournament (W) – Lezaan Jansen van Vuuren (Blyde River Bunters)
Young Player of the Tournament (M) – Peter Jarvis (Drakensberg Dragons)
Player of the Tournament (W) – Kara-lee Botes (St. Lucia Lakers)
Player of the Tournament (M) – Jethro Eustice (Drakensberg Dragons)

SA Hockey Association media release

Butali hit students to open three-point lead

Butali Sugar Warriors midfielder Brian Musasia (centre) in element against KCA- University during their Kenya Hockey men's Premier League match at the City Park Stadium, Nairobi on August 26, 2018. PHOTO | KANYIRI WAHITO |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Former champions Butali Sugar Warriors crushed Kenya College of Accountancy University (KCA-U) 5-1 at City Park stadium, Nairobi to three points clear at the top of the men's Hockey Premier League on Sunday.

After leading 1-0 at the break from Barnabas Odhiambo's scintillating 10th minute field goal, Butali Sugar turned on the style scoring four more goals, two from penalty corners and one from the spot.

Brian Musasia and Zack Aura slotted home in the 32nd and 42nd minutes from penalty corners respectively, before Constant Wakhura converted from the spot in the 55th minute.

Then Emmanuel Simiyu would put the 2015 champions beyond reached with a screaming volley from a tight corner three minutes to time.

The victory saw Butali Sugar open up a three-point lead at the top of the league with 33 points. Defending champions Kenya Police, who were not in action this weekend, stay second with 30 points.

Greensharks, who earlier on claimed a swift revenge, downing former champions Strathmore Gladiators 3-1, consolidated their third place in the league with 23 points.

Butali Warriors coach Dennis Owoka hailed the victory saying it was bound to be tough considering that six of his key players were missing in action including defender Rashid Said, Robert Amadi and Richard Amadi.

"Collecting 10 goal in two matches shows that we are on the right track," said Owoka.

“I was forced to use some of my midfield players in defence with only three substitutes.”

Strathmore had beaten Greensharks 5-1 in the first leg.

Samuel Namonyo was fed inside the 23 metre from the centre field, before taking a lovely turn to smack in in the 20th minute to give Greensharks a 1-0 lead at the break.

Benson Ochieng stretched Greensharks lead to 2-0, when he scored from a counter attack in the 36th minute.

Strathmore skipper Festus Onyango pulled one back for Gladiators in the 44th minute, but six minutes to full time, Mathew Kiplagat put Greensharks beyond reach when he slotted home off a foul.

"Our concentration and fitness levels improved this time around and thanks to the boys for the good display and results," said Greensharks coach Nixon Nyaganga, adding that there is still hope for the title, though it will be an uphill task to bridge the gap between them and the top two.

With the defeat, three-time winners Strathmore have now lost all hope of recapturing the Premier League title.

They are placed seventh with 16 points.

"We can only battle to finish fourth in the league," said the Gladiators coach Meshack Senge.

"We gifted them their second and third goals but again it's a learning curve."

Daily Nation

Queensland Planning For Life Without Knowles

Ben Somerford

Winning eight of the past 15 Australian Hockey League titles, the Queensland Blades have enjoyed a period of dominance and one of their constants has been ex-Kookaburras skipper Mark Knowles.

However, Knowles recently confirmed he wouldn’t compete at this year’s AHL in a blow for the Blades, as he juggles a variety of new professional endeavours which have kept him busy since his international retirement in April.

Blades coach Matt Wells said: “We knew it was going to happen sooner or later but that doesn’t make it any easier. Mark has been exceptional for Queensland for a long time.”

Hockey Queensland announced preliminary Scorchers and Blades squads several months ago. There’s no shortage of talent within both squads, which will be finalised ahead of the deadline on 5 September.

Wells has Kookaburras Daniel Beale, Tim Howard, Matthew Swann, Corey Weyer, Jacob Whetton and Dylan Wotherspoon at his disposal although they’ll all link up with the squad only a week out from their AHL opener against New South Wales in Sydney on Saturday 6 October.

The Blades coach nominated 22-year-old defender Howard as a potential successor to Knowles.

“Tim is one who could step into that role vacated by Knowlesy,” 2004 Olympic gold medalist Wells said.

“He played that role with the Kookaburras recently so we’re lucky to have that option.”

Knowles may not be lost completely to the Queensland squad this year, though, with Wells hopeful of an informal role around the group when they play in Brisbane where the ex-Kookaburras captain is based.

Already ex-Kookaburras striker Matthew Smith has joined the coaching ranks in a boost to the side’s forwards.

The Blades have been training on Mondays with intra-squad trial games on Wednesday nights, incorporating the new rules being adopted for this year’s AHL, including field goal conversion, PowerPlays and reduced on-field playing numbers.

“It’s all very new and I’m sure there will be lots of tactics revealed once the competition gets underway,” Wells said.

“It’s a bit of the unknown but that’s exciting.”

The Scorchers are one of the favourites for the women’s AHL title, having triumphed in three of the past five editions.

The side boasts internationals Stephanie Kershaw, Jodie Kenny, Renee Taylor, Madison and Savannah Fitzpatrick, Rosie Malone, Kirstin Dwyer, Jordyn Holzberger and Ashlea Fey.

Queensland, minus their Hockeyroos, played a recent series against a touring Malaysia side in preparation for the AHL at the State Hockey Centre, which will host their Round Three fixture against Tasmania on Saturday 21 October.

Hockey Queensland announced this week that tickets are now on sale for the Queensland-Tasmania matches, commencing from 6pm and 8pm (local time). Tickets are available here: http://hockeyqld.com.au/AHL

Hockey Australia media release

Joie Leigh hopes Dutch hockey tilt will warrant England return

Joie Leigh in action for Great Britain in 2016 PIC: Daniel Carson | DCIMAGES.ORG

After a summer leading the sustainability programme at the World Cup, The Hockey Paper speaks to Joie Leigh as she embarks on a stint playing in Europe

Joie Leigh believes she still has the desire to play international hockey when she begins her Dutch journey in the Hoofdklasse this season. The 25-year-old from Yorkshire also says that she is a “richer, wiser” person after enduring an array of highs and lows over the last few years.

Leigh left the England Hockey central programme at the start of the year. It was a piece of news which went unreported, a surprise given that the Clifton player is still regarded as one of England’s most talented forwards.

Amsterdam-based Hurley will be the beneficiary this season, with Leigh ready to delve into a new life abroad and after missing another major tournament at international level.

The Women’s World Cup may be a lingering memory for many as the domestic club season resumes across Europe, but Leigh still has reason to look back with satisfacton for the role she played in London.

She took off on holiday for the tournament but was still a ‘presence’ in July and August after her voluntary work as the World Cup’s sustainability manager.

It was an idea conceived last September, with Leigh passionate about looking after the environment in a more sustainable and sufficient manner.

“It’s more about making better choices rather than limiting anything,” she told The Hockey Paper in an interview before the World Cup.

“The options are out there, it’s just a case of being aware of them and choosing them.”

The tournament organisers saw the same ideals and for Leigh it was a perfect combination of values to put on her limited CV being a professional athlete.

She had no prior experience before starting but used the skills as an athlete to get the right people on board before handing over to a Hockey Maker for the tournament itself. Her targets of reducing single use plastic to zero were met with success, while the importance of recycling was also highlighted during the event.

Her passion will also continue in Holland where she will be a representative for Join the Pipe, a sustainable water not-for-profit.

All this is a world away from 2015 when she contacted appendicitis prior to the EuroHockey Championships in London.

A day before England’s opening game, she was forced into hospital and had emergency surgery. Anxiety took over but she wanted to be at the tournament to support her team-mates.

“It was a tournament we had built up to for the whole summer. Mum and Dad got me to every game which was nice. There were a whole bunch of mixed emotions watching,” she recalls.

“I was still part of it come the last night of celebrations. That is part of sport. It was gutting but I was pleased for the girls who won gold.”

A year on, another “emotional rollercoaster” came to the fore when she was picked as a travelling reserve for the Rio 2016 Olympics after playing her hand in GB’s winning run in Valencia during Olympic qualifying.

Joie Leigh celebrates her goal for Clifton against Leicester. Credit Andrew Smith

“I knew what to expect in that position and you always have to be on your mettle in that situation. At any point we could be called upon. We were a cog in that machine and you still have a job to do,” she says,

“To contribute to the success is something I am super proud of and it has been part of my journey. It was emotional and I was proud at the end of it.”

Yet Leigh admitted to being in a “constant battle” in Rio. “It is intense and the emotions are building up. You have to find a way to release them.”

While fellow reserves Kirsty Mackay and Ellie Watton used the off days to train hard and expend some emotional energy, Leigh took herself off on around the Athletes Village to deal with her emotions.

“You have your ups and downs, you have your special and terrible moments, but that is sport and life. I am a much richer, wiser person for those experiences,” she says.

“While they are difficult I think I will be thankful for them in the future. There have been moments where I have been very low.” And then there are the elated moments; the ones with her team-mates, where she has gone: “Yes, this is what it’s all about”.

“I love contributing. I still have the desire to play and improve and be the best that I can. But for me, the right time was to step away from the programme and start a new challenge.

“If that leads me back to playing in an England and GB shirt, then that will be a huge honour. But that’s not guaranteed. I’m not closing the door on it.”

She cites her Dutch sojourn as an “exciting challenge”, one where she wants to create new networks and “properly live”, complete with her tour tea mug and Yorkshire Tea bags.

Sure enough, she saw the clip of England football star Fabian Delph go viral when presented with a box of Yorkshire Tea pre-Russia World Cup.

“I loved that it’s my roots. That was super cool that he got a personalised box,” she smiles. “I’m sure I will be getting some regular deliveries for myself as well.”

Tea, hockey and life abroad. This season, she concludes, was a “no brainer”.

The Hockey Paper

More than a dozen Irish begin US universities campaign

Ayeisha McFerran is back at University of Louisville

While numerous of Irish women have headed west to European competitions, over a dozen will line out this season for US universities as the battle to be NCAA champions tips off in earnest this year.

University of Louisville’s Ayeisha McFerran is the star turn of the Irish in America having been named in the Longstreth/NFHCA All-America First Team for the last three years and has been in the All-West region first team selection for the same period.

Of the Irish abroad, Louisville are the highest placed, rated currently as the 12th best in the US.

The Monmouth Hawks – ranked 36th at the moment – have landed one of Ireland’s brightest prospects with Yasmin Pratt moving from Kilkenny College and Muckross.

She was the star of the Kate Russell Championships and also scored some beautiful goals in Irish underage action this summer. With Muckross, she top scored in Leinster Division One and the EYHL playoffs, scoring 21 times.

Pratt is joined at Monmouth by goalkeeper Kate O’Hogan from Railway and Mount Anville after three interpro gold medals across Under-16 and 18 campaigns.

They will have plenty of coaching guidance there with Kilkeel man Davey Williamson – a member of the US senior women’s coaching team – and new arrival Chris Tyrrell on the staff.

Limerick woman Clodagh Moloney has moved from UCC to University of Massachusetts following a strong spell in the Munster leagues, winning three Division One titles.

Speaking about her move to the states, she said: “I loved Amherst and the surrounding towns. Everybody was so friendly and the place had quite a European vibe about it. UMass seems to have the perfect balance of professionalism and academia combined with the necessary social side to a university.”

UMass are currently rated 22nd in the early season NCAA rankings.

Former Muckross and Mount Anville player Katie Ronan is in her second year at the Drexel Dragons having received a CAA Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll award in her freshman year. She played 13 times for the 48th-rated Drexel in her maiden season.

Another hot prospect, North Kildare and King’s Hospital goalkeeper Jade Arundell has been snapped up by 40th rated Michigan State. She has been the number one keeper for the past few seasons at the back of miserly Kildare first team and her exploits also helped KH go on a run to the Claudia Tierney Cup final.

Rutgers Scarlets Knights have two very talented Ulster women in their line-up – Katie Larmour and Kerrie Burns – bolstering their bid to try and rise from 23rd and push for results in the Big Ten.

Katie Larmour is one of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights star players.

Burns scored in her seasonal opener against the Richmond Spiders and was previously part of the Irish Under-18s. Larmour, meanwhile, is in her third season following a glorious schools career as the key player for MCB in the 2016 Kate Russell.

She was named in the all Mid-Atlantic regional second team in her first year but year two was curtailed by injury.

Lisburn’s Pippa Best switches to Kent State from the Liberty Flames where she played 53 games and scored six goals in the last three years. Kent are ranked 43rd in Division One.

At the Temple Owls in Philadelphia, Kathryn Edgar is in her third year at the college having played 30 times since being cleared to play in 2016. In addition to being a key player for the 61st ranked side, he was named to Temple’s President’s Honor Roll for having a GPA of 3.5 or above.

The 66th rated Vermont Catamounts have a pair of former Muckross players in Claudia Cotter and Clodagh Ferry. Cotter played in all 17 games for Vermont in her freshman year and made 16 starts at midfield. Ferry was part of the Muckross side that won the Leinster Senior Cup in 2017

Former St Gerard’s student Robyn Murray joins 22nd ranked Old Dominion following a couple of great years with the Bray school. Fermoy’s Niamh Sexton is at Lock Haven, listed at 57th, for a second successive season.

Galway’s Kelsey Hengerer is in her second year with the Richmond Spiders, the 35th rated side in the country, following several appearances in her debut year.

On the coaching front, Mark Egner is joined at William & Mary by Simon Pearson while Jordan McKee coaches in Delaware.

The Hook

Maryland field hockey beats Cal 5-0 for second straight shutout

By Lila Bromberg

Forward Linnea Gonzales pushes the ball up the field during Maryland's 3-0 win against Michigan State on Oct. 29, 2017. (Marquise McKine/The Diamondback)

Maryland field hockey forward Linnea Gonzales had just one shot in the first 60 minutes of action against California, but on a breakaway late in the second half, the senior finished past Golden Bears goalkeeper Danielle Mentink for her second goal in under a minute, polishing off the Terps' second straight victory.

Gonzales' two late scores helped secure No. 4 Maryland's 5-0 win for its second shutout of the year, and give the Terps a comfortable win after entering halftime with just a one-goal lead.

"We just brought the intensity during the second half," Gonzales said. "We really stepped it up on our press and that energy was contagious. So everyone [fed] off of that and it just happened to go in."

Cal was coming off a 5-1 win over Providence, but the Terps shut down the Golden Bears' offense Sunday. Maryland goalkeeper Noelle Frost saw just two shots on goal and saved both.

Coach Missy Meharg said the team emphasized defending California forward Megan Rodgers going into the matchup. Rodgers got two shots off in the first half, so during the break Meharg told her team to double down on her for the rest of the matchup. Meharg credited the shutout to her team's second-half adjustments.

And while the Terps' defense was stifling the Golden Bears' attack, Maryland's offense took control. Forward Sabrina Rhodes was a driving force for the Terps, having a hand in the team's first three goals.
The senior put the ball in play on the team's penalty corners, and the Terps scored three of the six corners taken by Rhodes.

"That shows how hard she's been working all season," Gonzales said. "It's really good to see her coming in strong this season. … She's grown a lot and it's showing."

Defender Nike Lorenz also continued to shine early in her college career. After having all three goals for the Terps in their first game of the season, Lorenz — a junior from Germany in her first year of NCAA field hockey — put the Terps ahead midway through the first half on a penalty corner.

She scored again in the second half, converting her fifth goal of the season.

Lorenz gave the team the edge that Gonzales added to late. She earned the first on a scrum near the right post of the net, while her second came less than a minute later on an unassisted breakaway.

Defender Sophie Giezeman gave Maryland its other goal off of a deflection on a penalty corner a little over three minutes into the second half.

"We are so lucky," Meharg said, "because we've got three very potent attack penalty corner options."

The Diamondback

Ashley Hoffman's goal for UNC field hockey beats Iowa, 2-1, in overtime

By Josh Conner

The North Carolina field hockey team celebrates during its 5-1 win against No. 5 Michigan on Aug. 25 at Carolina Field Hockey Stadium. Abigail Turner

Coming off a tightly contested season opener against Michigan, the No. 2 North Carolina (1-0) faced the No. 20 Iowa (1-0) in game two of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge on Sunday.

The Tar Heels came away with a 2-1 victory in overtime, despite trailing for the majority of the game.

What happened?

The Tar Heels dominated possession early in the match, keeping the ball on the opponent’s side of the field. However, unable to capitalize on their two penalty corners, the match — and the blank scoreboard — didn't reflect the pressure on the defense. 

With 10 minutes left until halftime, the Hawkeyes took their first shot of the match and connected to take a 1-0 lead. The goal was scored by Maddy Murphy on an assist from Lokke Stribos on a penalty corner — one of two shots taken during regulation to the Tar Heels' 14. It was the only score of the half.

In the second half, the Hawkeyes took control of possession and stopped many of the Tar Heels drives. Playing from behind, North Carolina played aggressively, but it still couldn't equalize the game.

That all changed in the 62nd minute, when Erin Matson scored on an assist from Malin Evert to even the game. It was her second goal of the weekend.

No team was able to break the tie in regulation and the game entered overtime tied at 1-1. The Hawkeyes took two shots on goal in the next, but neither resulted in a goal.

In the 79th minute, the Tar Heels were granted a penalty shot and a chance to win it all. Senior Ashley Hoffman converted on the shot, giving her team the 2-1 win.

Who stood out?

Ashley Hoffman was vocal throughout the game, instructing her teammates and encouraging them. On the defensive end, she helped stop multiple attacks from the Hawkeyes before taking the most important shot of the game. 

Remembering the last penalty stroke she took and missed in the final four last year, she knew what was on the line.

“My true feeling was, if I don’t make this, my team will have to run for another 10 minutes in overtime,” Hoffman said. “When I come up for a stroke, I’m never super confident, but you have to combat that doubt. At the end of the day you go into your routine, and you execute."

When was it decided?

After a scoreless first half, it didn't look promising for the Tar Heels playing behind. But after tying the game late, it all changed.

In overtime, the next goal scored would determine the winner and the Tar Heels found it first. Hoffman’s penalty stroke converted to keep her team undefeated.

Why does it matter?

Coming off a victory over Michigan, the Tar Heels still had their work cut out for them against another ranked team in Iowa. The win gives the team another notable victory early in their season, and will likely be a determining factor in moving up in the next college field hockey rankings.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will travel to Philadelphia on Aug. 31st to face Princeton at 11:00 a.m.

The Daily Tar Heel

Penn State's Gini Bramley scores only goal in Nittany Lions' 1-0 win over No. 7 Virginia

The No. 6 Penn State field hockey team (1-0, 0-0 B1G) opened up the 2018 season with a 1-0 win at home against No. 7 Virginia.  The Nittany Lions rode a strong defense, led by senior Cori Conley, and a lone first period goal to the victory.
It took Penn State less than four minutes to get on the board for the first time when Gini Bramley took an assist from Abby Myers at the 31:24 mark to give the Nittany Lions an early 1-0 lead.  Penn State pressured the Cavalier defense throughout the opening period.  Virginia's first real offensive pressure of the first half came at the 19:30 mark but Penn State's defense, anchored by Conley, forced the ball out of bounds.

Lion goalie Jenny Rizzo picked up her first save at the 18:00 mark to keep the Nittany Lions on top 1-0. Virginia's offense picked up the pace late in the half, pressuring the Lion defense and Rizzo but Penn State held strong, maintaining its 1-0 lead as the clocked moved below the 7:00 mark.  With 3:33 left, Emily Klingler had a solid shot that allowed Penn State to pick up its first penalty corner of the game. Mary Nell Smith took the corner that led to two solid Penn State shots, but Cavalier goalie Carrera Lucas notched two saves to keep the score close.  Maddie Morano had a late shot that Lucas pushed over the cage and the Nittany Lions carried the 1-0 lead into the break.
Penn State outshot Virginia 10-3 in the first half with Lucas keeping the Cavaliers in the game with six saves.  Lion keeper Rizzo had one save on Virginia's three shots.  Penn State had the lone penalty corner of the first half.

Virginia came out aggressive in the second half with Izzy McDonough getting an early shot on goal that Rizzo deftly pushed aside.  Virginia continued to pressure Penn State but the Lion defense, with Conley and freshman Anna Simon anchoring it, held firm to keep Penn State on top. The Nittany Lions found their offense over the next ten minutes, getting three shots from Bramley.  Two went wide and Lucas saved another, keeping the game close. Penn State continued to dictate the pace of the game, keeping Virginia on defense as the clock moved below 23:00.

Virginia got its first penalty corner at the 22:30 mark, with Amber Ezechiels taking it for the Cavaliers.  Conley blocked her first effort and Virginia got a second corner off the block. Ezechiels took it again, setting up a solid shot by Anzel Viljoen.  Rizzo stopped the shot cold with an outstanding block, keeping the Nittany Lions in the lead with 21:20 on the clock. Penn State looked to take advantage of a Virginia green card but the Cavalier defense kept Penn State from mounting a real threat and the clock moved down under 20:00 left with the Nittany Lions hold the slim 1-0 lead.

At the 18:29 mark, Smith took a penalty corner for the Lions but Penn State did not manage a shot off the effort.  Penn State kept the ball on the Virginia side of the field, however, working the clock down under 17:00.  With 14:50 on the clock, Myers chased down a slow roller that Virginia was letting roll out of bounds.  She knocked the ball back into play, forcing a duo of penalty corners taken by Simon.  Penn State had its shot blocked on the first, then missed on two shots on the second corner with 13:00 left to play. Penn State picked up its fifth corner of the game with 12:00 left to play, with Lucas notching two more saves to keep Virginia close.  Virginia got a penalty corner at the 8:00 mark but Conley blocked the Cav shot and Penn State took over possession seconds later.
Virginia called timeout with 3:39 left and pulled its goalie.  The Penn State defense held firm as the clock moved down below 2:00.  With the ball on Penn State's side of the field, Virginia looked to work the ball towards the Lion cage but the Penn State midfield, anchored by Cassie Kline and Aurelia Meijer kept the Cavs from mounting a serious threat.  With the clock ticking down below 1:00, Penn State's defense held off a final Virginia effort, forcing a turnover with :10 to kill the clock and ice the game.

"This is a very good win for us over a very good team," said veteran head coach Char Morett-Curtiss. "The team got stronger as the game went on.  We had a lot of opportunities on offense and we need to get better converting on those, but Virginia is a good team with a very good goalie.  I was proud of the way we our defense hung in there."  Morett-Curtiss's defense was anchored by senior Conley.  "Cori was outstanding holding down the defense for us," Morett-Curtiss continued.  "As a team we played above my expectations and I'm very happy with this win."
Penn State outshot Virginia 17-9 with Cavalier keeper Lucas notching nine saves.  Penn State's Rizzo notched her tenth career shutout, tallying four saves in the process.  The Lions had five corners to three for Virginia.  Klingler and Meijer each had three shots for Penn State while Greta Ell had three for the Cavaliers.  The Nittany Lions are now 1-0 on the year, 0-0 in Big Ten action.  Virginia starts its campaign 0-1 after the hard fought loss.
Penn State will return to action next weekend, visiting Temple on Friday, Aug. 31, for a 6 p.m. contest.  The Nittany Lions host two home games the following week, welcoming Princeton on Tuesday, Sept. 4, at 7:30 p.m. and Kent State on Friday, Sept. 7, at 4 p.m.  A three-game week will conclude back at Temple where Penn State will face Duke at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 9, in a neutral site battle.


No. 14 Wake Forest upsets No. 5 Michigan behind Jule Grashoff's two goals

The 14th-ranked Wake Forest field hockey team concluded the ACC/Big Ten Challenge with a thrilling 3-2 victory against No. 5 Michigan (0-2) on Sunday.

Wake Forest (1-1) came from behind in the second frame to score three goals, taking the final lead late in the game. Senior Jule Grashoff was a powerhouse for the Deacons, recording two goals and an assist.

The Wolverines struck early with a goal in the fourth minute of play by senior Emma Way into the right corner of the cage. In the first period, Michigan outshot Wake Forest 8-2 and put five shots on goal, while the Deacons struggled to get a shot on goal.

Junior goalkeeper Isla Bint made three saves in the first period, limiting the damage to just one goal allowed. Freshman Olivia Corthals recorded a defensive save, knocking the ball out of play as a last line of defense for the Deacons.

Wake rallied back with a strong performance in the second period, getting seven shots off and five shots on goal. Grashoff was dynamite in the circle, as she found the back of the net for the first time off a penalty corner with assists from Alexis Grippo and Megan Anderson in the 39th minute. 

Just three minutes later, Michigan regained control, taking a 2-1 lead as Halle O'Neill scored on the deflection with an assist by Meg Dowthwaite, but the Deacs fought back as Grashoff came through with a powerful shot from close range again tying the game.

The Deacons scored for the final time in the 62nd-minute as Grashoff found Grippo open with a long cross from the right side where Grippo pushed the ball past the keeper.

The match ended with multiple penalty corners for the Wolverines, but Bint and the Deacon defense held Michigan off to earn the first win of the season.

The Demon Deacons return to action on Friday, Aug. 31 as they face Penn on the road at 2 p.m. ET.


Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author