Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 08 May 2018

All the news for Tuesday 8 May 2018

Pakistan to host Six-Nation Hockey Tournament in September

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan will be hosting a six-nation international hockey tournament in the first week of September with Rawalpindi being the first choice to conduct the event.

Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) secretary Shahbaz Ahmad Senior said the tournament will be held from September 2 to 10 and has been included in the International Hockey Federation’s (FIH) calendar. “The foreign teams to participate in the tournament include hosts Pakistan, Oman, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Turkey and Sri Lanka,” he said and added: “We are trying to host the tournament in Army stadium, Rawalpindi and we will be seeking Pakistan Army’s permission in this regard.”

He said if due to some reasons the tournament is not held in Rawalpindi then our second choice will be the Naseer Bunda Hockey Stadium, Islamabad but it depends if a new astro-turf is laid in the stadium. “But if a new astro-turf is not laid at the Naseer Bunda Hockey Stadium then the tournament will be held in Karachi,” he said.

Shahbaz said PHF had been doing all-out efforts for the revival and promotion of hockey in the country. “The World XI team visited Pakistan last year and played one match each in Lahore and Karachi which was a great step towards revival of international hockey. Hopefully the six-nation hockey tournament will be very beneficial for the Pakistan hockey,” he said.

The Nation

Reading retain their EH Men's Championship Cup

Reading retain their EH Men's Championship trophy

Reading retained their England Hockey Men's Tier 1 Championship Cup with a dramatic win against Beeston at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre.

Trailing 2-1 with two minutes to go, the Berkshire side went to a kicking back and it paid dividends, Ben Boon scoring from a penalty corner to take the game to a shootout.

Jason Lee's men scored all four of their efforts in the shootout, and when Robbie Gleeson's effort went narrowly wide, victory was secured for Reading.

Both sides more than played their part in a cracking game; Lee Morton opening the scoring for Reading with an early thunderbolt, only for Elliot Hibell and Richard Lawrence to give Beeston the lead.

But Reading's late show turned the game in their favour, and both sides deserve credit for putting on a very good display of top class hockey at a sweltering Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre.

Match report

Reading were quickly ahead in the game, Lee Morton lashing home an absolute thunderbolt into the top corner from a corner in the ninth minute. Beeston offered their protests to the umpires but they were waved away, and Scottish international Morton had a great strike to his name.

Despite Reading's early goal, Beeston kept the game a tight contest, and both goalkeepers Tommy Alexander and Simon Kujwan were called into action before the half time interval.

Ben Boon and Morton were looking lively for the cup holders, but it remained 1-0 at the break.

Into the second period and soon enough Beeston finally found a way past Alexander in the Reading goal. First Elliot Hibell turned home tidily on 42 minutes, and just two minutes later Richard Lawrence put his side in front with an excellent sliding finish at the back post.

It was then Reading's turn to swing the game's momentum in their favour, and James Carson had a great chance that went just wide.

With two minutes to go, coach Jason Lee removed his goalkeeper to go to a kicking back, and at a penalty corner Richard Mantell found Ben Boon, who deflected home crucially.

And so a shootout was required, with Reading scoring all four efforts in some style through James Carson, Ciaron O'Connell, Morton and Owain Dolan Gray. Lucas Alcalde and Chris Proctor netted for Beeston, but Gareth Griffiths' saved effort meant Robbie Gleeson needed to score, and when his effort went wide into the side netting, Reading were able to celebrate another very successful cup campaign.

Reading 2 (Morton 9 (PC), Boon (68 (PC))
Beeston 2 (Hibell 42 (FG), Lawrence (44 (FG))

Reading win 4-2 on shootout

England Hockey Board Media release

2018 England Hockey Men's Championships Finals Day

Bebington EH Champs 2018

Surbiton 4th XI 0

Bebington 2nd XI 3
Bates (20, FG); Weston (51, FG); Rand (56, PC)

In the first game of the day, Bebington took the Men's T4 trophy back up to the North West after an impressive display against Surbiton.

Both teams played their part in an entertaining game, but Bebington were more clinical and scored at crucial times to secure silverware at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre.

The first goal came on 20 minutes as Jamie Bates fired home decisively, while Surbiton were left to rue a couple of good chances that went wide of the taget in the first half.

Into the second half and two goals in the space of five minutes proved crucial. First Matthew Weston prodded home from close range, and when Ian Rand made it 3-0, Bebington's celebrations showed just how important that third goal felt.

Surbiton rallied in search of a way back into the game, but Bebington stood firm to deservedly lift the trophy in front of their boisterous supporters.

Blackheath & Elthamians 1st XI 2
Morrison (4, FG); Harden (47, FG)

East London 1st XI 1
Sword (26, FG)

Blackheath & Elthamians EH Champs 2018

In front of a superb crowd supporting both teams, it was Blackheath & Elthamians who won a brilliant Tier 2 final at the home of English Hockey.

It really was a great atmosphere at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre, not just for East London who play their home games here, but also Blackheath & Elthamians looking to upset the applecart on East London's own patch.

And so it proved early on, James Morrison scoring after just four minutes to give Blackheath the lead. It was pulsating stuff, and Thomas Sword made it 1-1 on 26 minutes which was no more than the 'home' side deserved.

The match continued to ebb and flow for both teams, with no quarter being asked or given. Then with 47 on the clock, Blackheath's captain Chris Harden truly led by example to control an aerial and finish at the near post.

With more than 20 minutes still remaining, few would have predicted that the match would end 2-1, such was the intent from both sides, but James Craigmyle and Freddie Goddard both stood firm in their respective goals; Craigmyle and his team ensuring that is was Blackheath & Elthamians who took the trophy after a brilliant advert for the sport at this level.

Lymm 1st XI 1
Ashford (6, FG)

Oxted 2nd XI 3
Gilbert (9, FG); Blyth (10, FG), Terry (48, FG)

Oxted EH Champs 2018

The final game of the weekend saw Oxted crowned the Men's Tier 3 champions after a pulsating victory over Lymm in scorching conditions at Lee Valley.

It was the side from Cheshire who took the lead initially as Ben Ashford fired home in the sixth minute after doing well to work himself some space on the edge of the circle.

But just two goals in a minute from Max Gilbert and then Tom Blyth put Oxted ahead at the end of the first quarter, with the latter smashing the ball through the goalkeeper's legs.

Lymm pushed hard to grab an equaliser and were foiled on a number of occasions before a moment of brilliant from Matt Terry extended Oxted's lead as he beat three defenders before unleashing a fearsome reverse stick shot.

That newly established two goal advantage was almost halved seconds later but a Lymm corner smashed off the woodwork in what was to prove their final clear-cut chance of the game as Oxted closed out for the win.

England Hockey Board Media release

Kampong through to await winners of Bloemendaal and Amsterdam

©: Frank Uijlenbroek/world Sport Pics

SV Kampong were the first side to make it into the Hoofdklasse final as they beat HC Oranje-Rood for the second successive game in a shoot-out, both games ending 1-1 in normal time.

In game two, Benjamin Stanzl’s persistence gave the Eindhoven club the lead in the first half and they held the narrow lead for a long time.

But Kampong kept pressing and eventually got their equaliser in the closing minute via Philip Meulenbroek with a reverse-stick finish from mid-circle. The tall striker had scored the winning shoot-out the day before, too.

And they won the shoot-out for the second successive day when Jelle Galema’s shot came back off the post and was batted to safety by David Harte.

Who they play in the final will only be decided later this week as Amsterdam won a shoot-out in their second leg after a 2-2 draw.

Roel Bovendeert continued his superb form when he swept home from Florian Fuchs’ cross. Xavi Lleonart made it 2-0 at half-time from a corner rebound but Amsterdam fought back and got on the board when Billy Bakker picked out a brilliant pass to Nicki Leijs to tip-in at the left post.

Valentin Verga scored from a corner spin-move for 2-2 and the shoot-out chance in which Teun Rohof got the winner for a 3-2 success. They play each other in game three of the series on Thursday at 12.15pm.

Euro Hockey League media release

Ducks and Dragons to face off in Belgian grand final

©: Frank Uijlenbroek/world Sport Pics

The Waterloo Ducks will face KHC Dragons in the two-leg final of the Belgian league on Thursday and Sunday following two dramatic semi-final clashes this weekend.

For the WatDucks, they ended up winning on a shoot-out when both legs of their game with Royal Leopold ending 3-3 each time.

In Sunday’s second leg, Leo were left to rue some chances that they left behind as Waterloo rolled with punches and got the result.

Arthur Verdussen put Leo in front early on before Renaud Pangrazio equalised in the first quarter. Julien Plennevaux made it 2-1 while Aristide Coisne went close to a third, only to be denied by the post.

Max Capelle levelled at 2-2 before Victor Charlet fired a missile from a corner to put the Ducks in front for the first time. Captain Verdussen, though, rescued the draw for Leo with only a few minutes to go, meaning a shoot-out was required. There, Waterloo prevailed 3-1 and reach the final.

"The playoffs are terribly cruel,” said Ducks skipper John-John Dohmen. “We finished the championship with a 14-point lead over the Leo but, in the semi-finals, they were evenly matched with us.

“They played a lot better than in the regular season and that caused us a lot of problems. But we were very strong mentally and we had to wait until the shoot-outs to get this place in the final.”

They will meet a Dragons side who are chasing a fourth consecutive title and who have secured a return spot in Europe courtesy of their semi-final win over Racing Club de Bruxelles.

Racing won the first leg 2-1 but Dragons replied with a win by the same margin. Henri Raes and Thomas Verheijen put the
Antwerp side 2-0 up but Loic Vanwetter replied late in the game to send the game to shoot-out.

There, Victor Wegnez scored the crucial shoot-out in a 4-2 success to eliminate the club he will play for next season.

“At 2-0, we really thought we had the result but they came back in the match thanks to that penalty corner,” Jeffrey Thys said afterwards. “The Bruxellois were favorites in this semi-final after the first match but this success was crazy. The weekend was tough even though we managed to qualify. This final will be exciting with beautiful duels between the two best teams of this season."

Royal Leopold and Racing will play off for the third EHL spot.

Euro Hockey League media release

Miltkau keeps Rot-Weiss three points clear in Germany

©: Frank Uijlenbroek/world Sport Pics

The top three in Germany all won to stay clear of the chasers in the Bundesliga with Marco Miltkau’s single goal keeping Rot-Weiss Koln clear thanks to their success over Berliner HC.

He scored in the 57th minute from Moritz Trompertz assist to finally break down the Berlin defence on a day when they were short several front-line players. Indeed, Benjamin Wess was brought back into the side but they nonetheless got the win against playoff-chasing opponent.

André Henning praised the intensity of the game: "The game was characterised by two strong defensive lines. Both teams had their three or four chances spread over the game. We were playing away with a mixed team and, under these circumstances, the fighting spirit shown made for a strong performance."

Uhlenhorst Mulheim and Mannheimer HC remain in a share of second place, three points back, courtesy of wins over Nuremberg HTC and UHC Hamburg, respectively.

For Mulheim, Benedikt Furk and Benjamin Becker set up the win in the first 14 minutes before Timm Herzbruch and Niklas Bosserhoff completed the victory from corners in a 4-1 success.

Mannheim’s win was much closer but they did lead 2-0 inside seven minutes with a Gonzalo Peillat corner and a Rhett Halkett goal. Peter Kohl halved the deficit but Peillat extended the lead from another corner. Kohl’s second goal made the final score 3-2.

Harvestehuder moved into fourth spot with a 4-2 win at TSV Mannheim, jumping above Berliner who dropped two places.

Euro Hockey League media release

Rovers return to EHL next season after last minute magic

©: Adrian Boehm

Jody Hosking scored a dramatic winner 48 seconds from time to see Three Rock Rovers retain the EY Champions Trophy title at Grange Road in front of their home support, capping an incredible season for the Rathfarnham club.

The captain was on hand to poke home a dramatic last-gasp effort, following up after Harry Morris’s first up effort had come back off the post.

It was their second successive last minute winner of the weekend, earning their final spot with a 2-1 win over Lisnagarvey in the very last play a day earlier in the semi-final.

Rovers went in front at half-time when Peter Blakeney dragged home for 1-0 and the advantage. Luke Madeley hit the post, too, in the second half as Glenanne – the regular season champions – hung in there and got level with 10 minutes to go when Shannon Boucher fired in a rocket.

But Rovers reacted well and had a couple of big chances in the closing stages before Morris got free from a quick long corner move and poked at goal.

It hit the post into the gleeful path of Hosking who tapped in and celebrated in spectacular style.

“To be honest, I was off to celebrate as I thought Harry’s shot was going in!” Hosking said of his goal. “I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time and is just looped into the corner.”

“Winning is definitely a habit. I thought we played really well both days, getting lots of possession, lots of circle entries and maybe not got enough goals from that. The character of the lads to stick with it, we knew it would go to the last minute!”

It was their sixth title in all competitions this season, adding to the Irish Senior Cup and the National Indoor Trophy as well as the Neville Cup, the Mills Cup and the EuroHockey Indoor Club Challenge II t.

It ensures they will go back to Europe next season as national champions in both outdoor and indoor.

“You can’t put it into words. The lads have been incredible and worked hard. It comes from a big squad, the young lads coming through won us that Neville Cup and will hopefully be pushing us. We know this is a special group and we will try and push on from this because next year will be a massive task to get anywhere near where we are now.”

Euro Hockey League media release

Four-star Cookstown stay up with win over Bangor

The Cookstown side at Shawsbridge last Sunday.

Cookstown secured their place in the top flight of Irish hockey with a strong performance against brave Bangor on Sunday at Shawsbridge.

The Tyrone men had just too much in the tank for the Seasiders and a brilliant second quarter of attacking hockey saw them establish a lead which they never looked likely to give up.

“I’m really proud of the way the guys got stuck into the game today,” said Cookstown captain Godfrey Irwin. “We’ve been up against it this season in many ways, but the guys have stuck to the task and never let the heads dip.

“Bangor made it really tough for us and we really had to work hard to get opportunities. Thankfully, when we got them we converted.

“We’ll collect ourselves over the summer and next season we’ll be keen to build on what we have established this year.”

On Sunday, Bangor kept Cookstown at bay until the start of the second quarter. The Reds roared into action and forced a flurry of opportunities which the Seasiders did well to keep out.

The opening goal came when a Bangor foot prevented the ball from crossing the goal line and Greg Allen made no mistake from the spot.

Cookstown continued to press and forced a number of saves out of the Bangor goalie. They extended their lead when Danny Kerr got the last touch from the short corner set piece.

Bangor did not drop their work rate and got themselves into a number of promising positions on the field without really testing the Cookstown goal.

The final quarter of the match was just moments old when an Allen reverse into the circle was deflected into the net by Scott McCabe for 3-0.

Timmy Sloan completed the scoring just a few minutes later when he got on the end of an excellent Paul Thompson run.

Men’s EY Promotion-Relegation playoff
Cookstown 4 (G Allen, D Kerr, S McCabe, T Sloan)
Bangor 0

Cookstown: Josh McCabe, Matty Rollins, Godfrey Irwin, Ryan Millar, Dan Crooks, Paul Thompson, Jack Haycock, Timmy Sloan, Andy Barbour, Scott McCabe, Mark Crooks, Michael Kerr, Greg Allen, Stuart Smyth, Mark Rooney, Josh Anderson, Danny Kerr.

The Hook

Maties launch sensational comeback to defeat NWU in the dying minutes

By Sifiso Nyawo

Nicholas Giger of Maties during Game 13 NWU v Maties varsity hockey match at Wits Hockey field Johannesburg Photo by: Christiaan Kotze/SASPA

The final day of the Wits leg of the Varsity Hockey saw Maties retain their unbeaten status at this year’s competition by scoring at the brink of full time to narrowly beat NWU 6-5.

The match between Maties and NWU was always set up to be a big one, with Maties being the slight favourites due to their 100% win rate going into the clash.

The match itself was rather tame in the early stages of the first quarter, until NWU broke on a quarter attack, to see Pierre Botma score the first goal and take the North West University to an early 2-0 lead. That was how things ended at the first break. The second quarter was one that was fairly dominated by Maties but NWU were the ones to get the next goal, when Botma off a penalty flick, stepped up and made it two goals for his team and a brace for himself.

With the score at 3-0, Maties must have definitely been aware that they would need to be the next ones to score, if they wanted to get something from the game. This did not happen, however, as Maties had to settle for NWU leading 3-0 at the break.

The return to the turf, saw rejuvenated Maties side immediately surge forward in search of an open and their efforts were rewarded with 11 minutes left in the quarter, where Maximillian Pike finished a team goal to cut NWU’s lead to 3-2.

That was the only bit of goal action in the quarter with NWU now enjoying a slimmer lead. The final quarter was where all of the action took place, as NWU managed to add to their lead through Clayton Tait, before Maties managed to keep within touching distance with the score line at 5-4.

The last minute of the match saw some physical duels between the two sides, as things became tense in the dying moments. Maties in the end, were able to eclipse NWU, with a field goal being scored just before the sound of the hooter, to clinch yet another victory but this time a nail-biting 6-5 win over NWU.

Maties: 6
Goals: Maximillian Pike, Luke Schooling, Reece Arendse

NWU: 5
Goals: Pierre Botma (2), Clayton Tait

*Field goals count 2 in the Varsity Sports Hockey tournament

FNB Player of the Match: Mthokozisi Mbotho (NWU)
Mugg & Bean Star Player: Mthokozisi Mbotho (NWU)
Samsung Super Striker: Pierre Botma (NWU)

Maties: 1. Rob Mc Kinley, 2. Andrew Hobson, 4. Nicholas Giger, 5. Tom Richardson, 7. Matthew Roman, 8. Alex Stewart, 9. Wade Dollman, 11. Dayne Samboer, 12. Maximillian Pike, 14. Gareth Tate, 15. Ruari Baker
Subs: 16. Jordan Turnbull, 17. Luke Schooling, 21. Clayton Saker, 23. Reece Arendse, 24. Callen Heynes, 29. Mbuso Mgobozi, 38. William Eveleigh

NWU: 3. Lochner Van der schyff, 4. Wayne Jeffery, 5. Leonard Du Plessis, 6. Anru Kock, 7. Gertjie Lamprecht, 9. Killian Ludick, 10. Sinoxolo Mbekeni (C), 12. Damian Tamine, 13. Franscois Joubert, 14. Mitesh Makan
Subs: 17. Damian Kyle Kenny, 18. Pierre Botma, 21. Siyabonga Mabo, 20. Naude Stean, 23. Tait Clayton, 1. Andrew Oosthuizen, 22. Mthokozo Mbotho

Varsity Sports media release

UCT keep a clean sheet against struggling Kovsies

By Sifiso Nyawo

Jack Forrest of UCT during Game 14 Kovsies v UCT varsity hockey match at Wits Hockey field Johannesburg Photo by: Christiaan Kotze/SASPA

The second game of Varsity Hockey saw UCT put in a great shift to overcome Kovsies 5-0, in a game which the Cape side thoroughly dominated.

The first quarter wasn’t the best in terms of goals, with UCT often enjoying the possession and territory but failing to turn the opportunities into goals. Kovsies on the other end, did well to keep the score deadlocked at 0-0, although they also had a fair share of chances to take the lead themselves.

The score was 0-0 at the conclusion of the first quarter. The second quarter saw UCT carry their momentum from the first, into the second, where it took Jayde Roussouw just 3 minutes to give UCT a well deserved 1-0 lead, after a great short corner. That wasn’t the end of the goals before halftime, however, with Tim Alfeld adding another for UCT from close range to make it 3-0 at the break.

The second half saw UCT continue to enjoy more of the opportunities, but Kovsies managed to clear their lines and still hoped to get back in the game. The two teams did reach the end of the third quarter, with the scores unchanged at 3-0 to UCT. Kovsies in the last quarter, tried all they could in attack but UCT would often quickly transition from defence to attack in a swift manner.

The counter attacks did eventually pay off for the Cape side, when Ross Talmage got on the end of great pass to add an extra 2 to the margin and secure UCT a 5-0 win. Credit in the end must go out to the UCT defence, who kept a clean sheet which is not an easy feat in such a tournament. Goalkeepers from both teams were also in top form, although the score line my not say so for Kovsies but without LouFrans Esterhuizen’s saves, the score could have definitely been worse.

UCT: 5
Goals: Jayde Roussouw, Tim Alfeld, Ross Talmage

Kovsies: 0

*Field goals count 2 in the Varsity Sports Hockey tournament

FNB Player of the Match: Bjorn Sorensen (UCT)
Mugg & Bean Star Player:  Van Loggerenberg (UCT)
Samsung Super Striker: Tim Alfeld (UCT)

UCT: 5. Bjorn Sorensen, 4. Ross Talmage, 6. Malachy Barbour, 2. James Watters, 12. Dan Cole, 19. Nick Mc Kechnie, 10. Jack Forrest, 8. Walter Pfaff, 14. Michael Gildenhuys, 15. Jaydee Rossouw, 7. Matthew Mc Kechnie
Subs: 3. Tim Alfeld, 13. Mawu Zukisa, 23. Daiyaan Solomons, 31. Tino Elijah, 28. Ross Maharage, 1. Anton Van Loggerenberg, 26. Liam Peter

Kovsies: 1. Lou Frans Esterhuizen, 2. Andre Nel, 3. Egon Van der Merwe, 5. Raymond De Villiers, 6. Ryan Scheepers, 7. Matthew Ramos, 8. Willie Kruger, 9. Mpho Tsaoane, 10. Gerhard Van Bosch, 11. Justin Smouse, 13. Tiaan Weldhagen
Subs: 14. Stephan Van Vollenhoven, 15. Mvelase Mbombisa, 18. Cheslyn Neethling, 19. Shelton Mollentze, 21. Jan Willem Ras, 22. Tylor Oliver, 24. Luyolo Nkosana

Varsity Sports media release

Tuks thump the Madibaz to remain unbeaten

By Sifiso Nyawo

Michael Forrest of Tuks shoots his goal during Game 15 Madibaz v Tuks varsity hockey match at Wits Hockey field Johannesburg Photo by: Christiaan Kotze/SASPA

The third game of day four of Varsity Hockey saw Tuks comfortably beat the Madibaz 6-1, to wrap up their Wits leg of the competition and remain unbeaten, ahead of their home (Tuks) leg next weekend.

Tuks took just 6 minutes to make their intentions clear, showing Madibaz just what they intended to accomplish with their final match, when Steven Paulo drew first blood by pocketing a short corner to gift Tuks an early 1-0 lead.

The Madibaz battled to keep up with Tuks’ fast paced play but managed to hold the Pretoria side out to keep the score at 1-0. The second quarter was a completely different ball game, however, with Tuks taking just 12 seconds to get into the groove, through a well taken goal by Bradley Sherwood to push the margin to 3 goals to 0.

The rest of the quarter saw the teams trade blows but it was Tuks who landed the knockout punch, when that man Michael Forest slid in yet another goal from a short corner making it a fairly comfortable 4-0 lead to Tuks going into the interval.

In the third quarter, Tuks were again the first ones to score, this time Steven Paulo getting his brace and making it 6-0. The Madibaz did manage to register a consolation goal in the end, through a neat finish following a short corner, by Keoghan Penhall.

Tuks proved too much for the Madibaz to handle and the scoreline was indeed a true reflection of the encounter that took place. The Madibaz will definitely have to go back and restrategize ahead of the tournament’s second leg in Pretoria next weekend, after failing to register a victory throughout the whole weekend. Tuks on the other hand, will have to keep doing what they are doing as it is working well for them so far.

Tuks: 6
Goals: Steven Paulo (2), Bradley Sherwood, Michael Forest,

Madibaz: 1
Goal: Keoghan Penhall

*Field goals count 2 in the Varsity Sports Hockey tournament

FNB Player of the Match: Bradley Sherwood (Tuks)
Mugg & Bean Star Player: Hendrik Kriek (Tuks)
Samsung Super Striker: Steven Paulo (Tuks)

Tuks: 1. Henrik Kriek, 3. Letuka Onke, 4. Currie Mitchell, 5. Jared Cass, 6. James Redfern, 7. Sam Mvimbi, 8. Peabo Lembethe (C), 9. Steven Paulo, 10. Michael Forest, 11. Ashley Kemp, 13. Matthew Butler, 15. Bradley Sherwood
Subs: 16. Nicholas Pio, 19. Matthew Davies, 20. Christian Kriek, 21. Tim Halle, 22. Mark Chong, 23. Sizwe Mthembu

Madibaz: 1. Nathan Waters, 18. Joshua Engole, 4. Kurt Wicht, 5. Jason Mc Gillivray, 6. Callan Dewar, 7. Arno Van Jaarsveld, 8. Alexander Penhall, 9. Jacque Potgieter, 2. Keoghan Penhall, 11. Laython Coombes
Subs: 12. Brodie Fanoe, 14. Christopher Wynford, 15. Michael Hansel, 22. Andre Potgieter, 23. Athi Mbovane, 21. Jared De Kock, 24. Duncan Hare, 16. Richard Asmah-Andoh

Varsity Sports media release

Wits earn bragging rights with derby win over UJ

By Sifiso Nyawo

Jaryd Thomas of Wits and Chad Burke of UJ during Game 16 Wits v UJ varsity hockey match at Wits Hockey field Johannesburg Photo by: Christiaan Kotze/SASPA

The Wits leg of the Varsity Hockey tournament was concluded on a cold evening by a fierce local derby, where Wits managed to beat the Orange Army of UJ 4-2.

The game was expected to produce fireworks, with Wits and UJ always providing entertainment when they meet in a sporting contest. There was, however, very little to tell between the two teams, with the action quickly moving end to end.

Both sides could not score at the end of the quarter, seeing the teams enter the second quarter deadlocked at 0-0. With the home support loudly behind Wits, the hosts returned to the turf and just took a minute to finally find a breakthrough, when  Kingsley Botes finished well to give Wits a great boast at 2-0. That is how the scoreline remained right until halftime, with UJ looking frustrated going into the break trailing rivals Wits.

The second half got underway and it was the Witsies that again scored after just 20 seconds. Kingsley Botes scored a stunning goal, to make it 4-0 and get his brace in the process. Wits then continued to frustrate their neighbours, often moving the ball around looking to hold onto possession to run the clock down.

The hooter eventually sounded to signal the end of the third quarter, with Wits leading 4-0 in the Johannesburg derby. With only one quarter left in the game, UJ knew they had to get on the scoreboard quickly but at the same time they had to prevent Wits from scoring. Wits did almost score but Thabang Modise completely missed the ball.

UJ did pull one back, when Che February sent a thunderbolt of a shot into the net and cut the deficit to 4-2 with two and half minutes to play. The Orange Army of UJ couldn’t find a way back. They did appeal a decision at the end but after viewing it on the TV, Wits were awarded the 4-2 win in the end.

Wits: 4
Goals: Kingsley Botes (2)

UJ: 2
Goal: Che February

*Field goals count 2 in the Varsity Sports Hockey tournament

FNB Player of the Match: Kingsley Botes (Wits)
Mugg & Bean Star Player: Duncan Fischer (Wits)
Samsung Super Striker: Kingsley Botes (Wits)

Wits: 1. Duncan Fischer, 2. Gareth Riley, 4. Cody Van Wyk, 5. Brad Riley, 6. Brandon James, 7. Michael Marki (C), 8. Jaryd Thomas, 10. Thabang Modise, 11. Chris Makaba, 12. Chad Futcher, 13. Bryce Cressy
Subs: 14. Sean Donaldson, 15. Michael Horan, 17. Rusten Abrahams, 18. Kamal Ramburuth-Hurt, 19. Kingsley Botes, 20. John Henning, 23. Sizwe Nyandeni

UJ: 1. Matthew Martins, 2. Brad Robertson, 4. Andile Ndlovu, 5. Kyle Lion-Cachet (C), 6. Michael Newland-Nell, 7. Chad Burke, 8. Courtney Halle, 9. Che February, 10. Spencer Botes, 11. Keegan Smith, 13. Ernest Jacobs
Subs: 15. James Gilbert, 16. Raynor York, 17. Jesse Martins, 18. Diego De Abreu, 20. Manessah Dube, 21. Gary Cooper, 23. Tristan Blackie-Roden

Varsity Sports media release

Varsity Sports Hockey Table standings

#    TEAM PL W   D   L   PD BP PTS
1 UP Tuks Hockey 4 4 0 0 11 0 12
2 Maties Hockey 4 4 0 0 9 0 12
3 Wits Hockey 4 2 0 2 3 0 6
4 UCT Hockey 4 2 0 2 3 0 6
5 UJ Hockey 4 2 0 2 1 0 6
6 NWU Puk Hockey 4 1 0 3 4 0 3
7 UFS Kovsies Hockey 4 1 0 3 -16 0 3
8 Madibaz Hockey 4 0 0 4 -19 0 0

Varsity Sports media release

Unbeaten Multimedia dislodge KU Vultures from the summit of the men’s Super League standings

By Elizabeth Mburugu

GreenSharks celebrate after scoring against Parkroad in a past Hockey Premier League match at City Park last year. [Photo/Standard]

Kenya Hockey Union (KHU) men’s Premier League champions Kenya Police maintained their top spot despite losing to Greensharks.

In the women’s Premier League title chase, 20-time winners Telkom remained on course to retaining their title following their 5-2 win over Sliders at the weekend.

The law enforcers had their campaign dented with a 3-4 loss to rivals Greensharks. Police captain Oliver Echenje said they will fight on despite the loss.

“The league just began and we still have a long way to go. It’s unfortunate that we lost, but all is not lost and all we need to do is remain focused and make the best out of our upcoming matches,” Echenje said.

Police remained on top of the standings with 12 points from five matches.

Greensharks were biggest gainers with double victory and moving to second place tied on 12 points with Police, who have a superior goal difference.

Sharks had a successful weekend silencing Police before beating Western Jaguars 2-1.

Former holders Butali Warriors are third with nine points from three matches while Nairobi Sikh Union and Wazalendo are fourth and fifth tied on six points respectively.

Winless Parkroad Badgers lead the standings from the wrong side without a point having lost all their four matches.

Nakuru, also yet to win after two outings are also stuck in the relegation zone.

Western Jaguars city tour to forget having lost to Butali and Greensharks.

In the women league, Telkom, who survived an early scare that saw them trail Sliders 2-0 eight minutes into the match fought back to win.

Sliders took an early lead through Nancy Kibigong in the fourth minute and Anita Agunda four minutes later.

However, a brace each from Jackline Mwangi and Barbara Simiyu and a goal from Georgina Lumumba gave the former Africa champions their third victory of the season.

Telkom top the log with nine points, three more than Strathmore University Scorpions, who have played two matches.

Chase Amira are third while Sliders are fourth. The Scorpions beat Amira 2-0 in their second league tie while the latter had edged out Vikings 1-0 to register their second win of the season.

In the battle for a promotion to the men’s Premier League, Multimedia University top the table with seven points. Kenyatta University Vultures and Technical University of Kenya, who are battling for their way up after being  relegated last season are second and third with four points same as fourth-placed Wazalendo Masters, but are separated by goal difference.

The Standard Online

MJHL: The Good, Bad and UGLY

By Jugjet Singh

SSTMI won the men's TNB CUP.

PENANG won the women's aTNB CUP.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Junior Hockey League (MJHL) ended with a bang on Sunday, but together with the good there were also the bad and the very ugly on display.

Lets start with the ugly.

A team official picked a fight with a Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) technical official, who was on duty, and then went on to make a police report accusing the MHC official of many silly things.

The team official was let off with a warning, but he ruined the good name of his team.

Then the bad.

Some teams have been competing in the JHL for decades, but still could not get it right but keep on harping on their past records while doing nothing to improve the current situation.

Owners of these kind of clubs need to break free from these officials, and hire new blood if they want to become present champions or play in the knock-out stage more consistently.

If not, they can forever bask in their past glory, while other teams leave them miles behind.

Thankfully, good was plenty.

Tunku Mahkota Ismail Sports School (SSTMI) Thunderbolts, Anderson Thunderbolts, Pahang Sports School (AHP-SSP) Thunderbolts and SMK Datuk Bentara Luar-UniKL (SMKDBL-UNIKL-PHJ) -- to name a few.

SSTMI lifted their seventh Overall JHL title, Anderson finished second in the League for the first time, Pahang made back-to-back TNB Cup finals and Datuk Bentara Luar became the team to watch next season.

Datuk Bentara Luar, from Batu Pahat, beat Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) Thunderbolts 2-1 in the quarter-finals -- to deny a Thunderbolts monopoly in the semifinals.

Datuk Bentara started as a Division Two outfit in 2013, and gained promotion to Division One in 2016 when they finished second behind Nur Insafi.

With funding from Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) Datuk Bentara ended eighth in 2016, sixth in 2017 but were knocked out of the quarter-finals by SSTMI Thunderbolts with a 5-0 hammering.

And with solid financial and coaching backing from UniKL, Datuk Bentara Luar will again be expected to break Thunderbolts' monopoly in the JHL next season.

The best news this season was undoubtedly SSTMI's backbone Akhimullah Anuar Esook's consistency.

He top-scored with 18 goals, last year it was 17, while in 2016 when he was only 16 he scored 11 goals. And in the recent Asian Youth Olympics Qualifier in Bangkok he scored 16 goals to become tournament top-scorer.

And Akhimullah can still play for SSTMI next year.

Teams which want to excel in the near future, take the good and sack the bad and ugly from their management team. Or, forever live in the past.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author