Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 06 May 2018

All the news for Sunday 6 May 2018

Surbiton victorious in Investec Women's Championships Final

Surbiton celebrate the double

Surbiton lifted the Investec Women’s Championship Final after a 5-0 win over Clifton Robinsons to complete a league and cup double.

Doubles from Hollie Pearne-Webb and Beckie Middleton as well as a strike from Sarah Page helped Surbiton to comfortable win.

By lifting the cup Surbiton completed a league and cup double after winning the Investec Women’s Premier Division title at League Finals weekend.

Surbiton were immediately on the front foot and putting pressure on the Clifton backline and after just five minutes were ahead. From a penalty corner the ball was switched to Pearne-Webb at the to who slapped hard and low into the bottom corner.

It wasn’t long before the lead was extended from another penalty corner. Ansley’s drag-flick was deflected onto the crossbar but Middleton reacted quickest to put the rebound home.

Clifton responded well though, Zoe Leach smashed a pinpoint pass from deep which was met by the run of Claire Thomas who collected superbly but her effort was well saved by Ellie Shahbo.

Soon after a lovely flowing move released Thomas again but her shot went narrowly wide. 

Surbiton took their two-goal advantage into the half-time break but extended it soon after the restart from another penalty corner. Just as they did with their first, the ball was slipped to Pearne-Webb whose slap at goal found the net.

Pressure continued to be piled on by Surbiton with Hannah Martin, Middleton and company causing numerous problems with their pace and skill but found Sarah Ellis in good form in the Clifton goal who frustrated them on numerous occasions.

However eventually Surbiton were able to add to their advantage as Page hit home the fourth on the volley before Middleton grabbed her second and Surbiton’s fifth to wrap up the victory.

England Hockey Board Media release

2018 Investec Women's Championship Finals Day

Investec Women's Tier 4 Final

Nuneaton 2 XI (0) 0
Ramsey A (3) 10

The first game of the day was Nuneaton 2nd taking on Isle Man side Ramsey A, Ramsey were first on the scoresheet, Christina Kermeen lifting the ball into the roof of the net. The Isle of Man outfitters doubled their lead through Leah Crowne followed by her team mate Victoria Garner getting a third just before half time.

The second half Ramsey got off the mark quickly, Megan Roberts scoring twice alongside team mate Julie Chesterson 10 minutes into the second half to make it 5-0. Nuneaton spirits did not dampen with flurry of an attack into the oppositions half but their defence stayed strong. Leah Crowe went on to get her second, followed by Joanne Quine and a third for Megan Roberts. Minutes left on the clock Victoria Garnder puts away her second to get her team into double figures.

Captain Lauren Brew said;

'It is amazing - we have entered this competition for the last 4 years and progressively got better so to make the final is amazing. Just to play at Lee Valley is an incredible experience! When we woke up this morning we were all so excited to play in the Olympic park!'

Investec Women’s Tier 3 Final

Reading Rockets (0) 2
Repton Hockey Club (3) 5

Both these sides came out hungry for the win, an early chance from Reading but the Repton keeper did well to drive her shot wide of goal. It was Repton who broke deadlock, a tap in the far post by Laura D’Aguilar making it 1-0.  It was end to end but Repton’s Hannah Davey drove into the top of the circle where her wonder strike hit the back of the net giving her side a 2-0 lead. Five minutes left on the clock Repton got their third forcing Harvey from her line to slip the ball pass her finding Claudia Swain who slotted it into goal.

In the second half Reading came out all guns blazing, an attack from Holly Raby strike going just wide of goal. A lovely well worked penalty corner from Reading saw Emma Dawson’s touch at the far post lifting the ball up into the net in to give their side a well-deserved goal. Minutes later a slick penalty corner routine from Repton saw Scout Butler slap home a fourth for her side. Reading did not give up and were roared on by the crowd as Jessica Mann pulled one back for the Rockets making it 2-4.

Fantastic team work from Readings forwards as they pressed the Repton defence but Repton stayed strong to deny them scoring. In the dying minutes Reading threw on a kicking back which saw Repton’s captain Georgina Brownhill get her side a fifth. Even in the last seconds Reading’s Lucy Scott missed the near post! Final whistle saw Repton claim the title with a 5-2 win over Reading Rockets in this thrilling match.

Repton captain Georgina Brownhill said;

'That was so hot! It was a brilliant final to play in - Reading really pushed us, especially in that second half but we expected it and we stepped up to another level. It is simply brilliant to play here!'

Investec Women’s Tier 2 Final

Oxford (2) 4
East Grinstead 2nd XI (0) 0

An early chance for East Grinstead’s Eloise Richards as her reverse strike was heading into goal but a fantastic save from Louise Kay’s left glove denied them to take the lead. East Grinstead pushed the Oxford but in the last 10 minutes of the half Oxford seem to have shook off Cup final nerves securing a penalty corner but East Grinstead defended well. Oxford kept the press forcing the opposition to clear the goal line! 

Oxford defied the crowd’s eyes as they lifted the ball over the keeper in front of goal seemly going in but East Grinstead’s defence cleared the ball wide. A well-oiled penalty corner for Oxford slipping it wide for Olivia Strickland to tap the ball past the keeper to give her side the lead. East Grinstead heads did not drop as their attack pressed Oxfords defence searching for a goal before half time. Charley Ebbutt danced round the Grinstead players pulling the keeper off her line leaving Christy Barnard to tap home their second.

Oxford came out full of confidence in the second half full of energy and after applying the pressure they were rewarded with a third goal from Carlijn Ten Heggeler. A reverse strike at the top of the circle from Floor Timmer to put the touch on for Christy Barnard to score her second of the match and take the final score 4-0 to Oxford.

Captain Katie Cox said;

‘It feels amazing to win! In the first half we had to try and get into it as we knew they would come out strong. We played as a team and worked hard for each other. It is amazing to know some of the best players in the world will be following us this summer with the World Cup being hosted here.'

Investec Women's O35 Tier 1 Final

Harleston Magpies (0) 0
Canterbury (0) 0
Canterbury win 2-1 in shootout*

Canterbury won the Investec Women's O35 Tier 1 Final after a dramatic shootout.

The sides couldn't be separated in normal time meaning the teams headed to shootout where goalkeeper Sue Spight was the hero for Canterbury as they defeated Harleston 2-1.

In the hot afternoon sun at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre, Harleston and Canterbury battled it out buoyed by vocal support from travelling fans.

It was a fiercely fought contest with tough tackling and powerful hitting but for an end to end encounter clear cut chances were few and far between.

They entered the break level but chances continued to be created and missed in the second-half as both teams pushed hard for an opener.

It looked as though the deadlock would be broken when Harleston were awarded a penalty stroke but a diving save from Spight kept the scores level.

This meant the sides headed to a shootout where Canterbury were victorious with saves from Sight helping guide her side to their win.

Investec Women's O45 T1 Final

Cambridge City 1 (1)
Sevenoaks 0 (3)

A hat-trick from Julie Nicholson guided Sevenoaks to victory in the Investec Women's O45 Tier 1 Final against Cambridge City.

It was a tight and scrappy opening half with little between the sides and few chances. However just before the break Cambridge City captain Liane Shadrack put home to give her side the lead.

However Sevenoaks responded brilliantly after the restart when Nicholson scored two in two minutes to put them ahead, the second a clever deflection.

Cambridge pushed hard for an equaliser but as the sun set time began to run out for them despite their best efforts. With Cambridge piling players forward Sevenoaks took advantage on the counter attack as Nicholson completed her hat-trick and sealed the win.

England Hockey Board Media release

Double for Grange with Men’s Scottish Cup win

Men’s Scottish Cup Final – Edinburgh University v Grange – Photo by Duncan Gray

Grange were crowned Men’s Scottish Cup Final champions with a 6-3 win over Edinburgh University, completing a league and cup double.

Men’s Scottish Cup Final | Edinburgh University 3-6 Grange

Grange were not in a mood not to be messed and in the opening 20 seconds, Frank Ryan swept the ball home for an early lead. Edinburgh University started their fight back, playing around the back however a loose pass allowed Grange to steal the ball, resulting in a second goal from Frank Ryan via a deflection off the goalkeeper, prompting a roar from the crowd.

The scoreboard read 3-0 soon after as Joe Waterson received the ball in the D and reverse swept the ball into the far corner.

Edinburgh University began fighting back with Peter McKnight scoring a cracking shot, striking right into the left corner bringing the score 3-1.

A penalty stroke was awarded to Grange after a slight scuffle in the D. Callum Milne stepped up to the plate, and made it look easy as he tapped it in to the goal for 4-1.

With ten and a half minutes to go, Luke Cranney found himself dodging Edinburgh University defenders to score a perfect reverse strike from the top of the D, putting Grange into a 5-1 lead.

Edinburgh University managed to gain a penalty corner, the first and second unsuccessful, but third’s a charm, as Kevin Wong stepped up to score a great strike from a quick pass from Chris Duncan, bringing the halftime score to 5-2.

The second half started off strong from both sides, with Edinburgh University coming out fighting, and Captain Gordon Amour getting his name on the scoresheet, bringing the game to 5-3.

With 16 minutes to go in the game, John McCluskey scored from a deflection bringing Grange into a 6-3 lead. Edinburgh University fought to the death and Chris Duncan was denied by a great save from the Grange keeper.
5 May 2018 at the National Hockey Centre, Glasgow Green. Scottish Hockey Cup Finals day.

Men’s Scottish Plate Final winners – Gordonians – photo by Duncan Gray

Men’s Scottish Plate Final | Gordonians 5-1 Stepps

Gordonians won the Men’s Scottish Plate final with a sensational 5-1 victory over Stepps.

In the opening stages Gordonians had a goal chopped off from a penalty corner routine but they wouldn’t be held at 0-0 for long. Rory McCann got the scoring underway in the Men’s Scottish Plate Final when he slid the ball low against the backboard for 1-0 Gordonians.

Stepps then took control and were on the hunt for an equaliser, looking dangerous.

Despite the Stepps pressure it was Gordonians who scored a second goal. It went to 2-0 for Gordonians when Craig Faulkner popped up at the far post to slam the ball home on the half volley.

Stepps got a well-earned goal from a penalty corner routine – Douglas Simpson flicked the ball into the roof of the net to pull it back to 2-1.

Gordonians went 3-1 up through a lovely penalty corner finish by Jack Collister; he found the bottom right corner past the post man.

It went to 4-1 for Gordonians from a nice Faulkner penalty corner finish low against the backboard.

The fifth goal came for Gordonians with the last strike of the ball. A lovely finish from Provan put the icing on the cake as Gordonians sealed the Men’s Scottish Plate Final 5-1

Photo by Mark Pugh

Men’s District Cup Final | Kelburne 2s 5-2 Grange 2s

Kelburne 2s were 5-2 winners in the Men’s District Cup Final in a fantastic final victory over Grange 2s.

It was Kelburne 2s who got off to a great start when Finn Halliday tore down the left and set up Rory McClure for a terrific opening goal. 1-0

Then Rob Barr scored for Grange 2s with a great flick to level proceedings after 10 minutes.

The match continued at pace and Kelburne 2s restored their lead when Halliday and McClure combined again down the right-hand side, and it was Halliday who smashed the ball home to re-take the lead for Kelburne 2s. 2-1.

Another goal came for Kelburne 2s when McClure finished off some good work by Halliday for his second, and made it 3-1 at the break for Kelburne 2s.

In the second half Grange hammered at the Kelburne defence in search for another goal as the match progressed but Kelburne proved a tough nut to break.

It was Kelburne who scored next despite the pressure and it came from a superb ball to set up McClure for his hat-trick with a nice lift over the goalkeeper to extend Kelburne’s lead to 4-1.

Grange 2s went to a kicking back as they battled back but a penalty stroke went the way of Kelburne and it was dispatched with ease and confidence by Halliday to make it 5-1.

Grange pulled one back at the death when Rob Barr sailed a penalty corner into the top corner of the net, but it finished 5-2 to Kelburne 2s who lifted the cup.
5 May 2018 at the National Hockey Centre, Glasgow Green. Scottish Hockey Cup Finals day.

Aberdeen GSFP 2s v Edinburgh University 2s – Photo by Duncan Gray

Men’s District Plate Final (Pitch 2) | Aberdeen GSFP 2s 0-2 Edinburgh University 2s

Edinburgh University 2s ran out winners of the Men’s District Plate Final with a 2-0 victory over Aberdeen GSFP.

It was a competitive affair with both sides looking dangerous in the opening stages of the match.

It took 22 minutes for the opening goal of the game and it came via the stick of Monty Kilpatrick to give Edinburgh University 2s a 1-0 lead.

The contest raged on and in the second half Edinburgh University 2s furthered their advantage. Guy Allen was the scorer from open play to put some daylight between the teams.

The day went the way of Edinburgh University 2s and they ran out 2-0 winners to lift the Plate in Glasgow.

Men’s Reserve Cup Final | Grange 3s 6-3 Kelburne 3s

The opening match on Pitch 1 was a high scoring affair that saw Grange 3s lift the Men’s Reserve Cup in a 6-3 victory over Kelburne 3s.

Grange took the lead when the ball was forced home by Sam Price after a stramash in the D.

Kelburne made it 1-1 a short time later when a great reverse shot by Bob Martin blasted into the roof of the net to equalise after build up down the left.

Grange 3s took the lead despite being a man down after a slack back-pass allowed Neil Mitchison to roll the ball into an empty net.

It then went to 3-1 when a penalty corner for Grange 3s saw Douglas McEwan save the first attempt low to his right but he couldn’t save the rebound and Grange took the goal.

Grange then made it 4-1 when the ball was slotted low against the back board by Richard Miller after it bounced around in the D.

An error in the Kelburne D was then capitalised on when the ball was smashed home by Steve Swanton to make it 5-1.

Then a quick Grange break was neatly finished by Lewis Williamson a pace for 6-1.

Kelburne battled back and Bob Martin sent a low hard accurate shot against the backboard for 6-2.

Kelburne then scored a third with a clinical finish in a crowded D, the ball zipped into the bottom corner to make it 6-3.

Scottish Hockey Cup Finals day. Photo by Duncan Gray

Men’s Reserve Plate Final (Pitch 2) | Edinburgh University 3s 7-1 Hillhead 3s

Edinburgh University 3s were on fire in the Men’s Reserve Plate Final with a 7-1 win over Hillhead 3s in the final.

It took 16 minutes for the opening goal and it went to the students. A huge roar from the crowd greeted a strike by Jordan Fitzpatrick to get the ball rolling.

It went to 2-0 as University settled into their groove and a penalty corner finish by Hugo Howarth doubled their advantage.

Fitzpatrick finished off a lovely penalty corner routine to make it 3-0, it was a lovely move that saw them string some quick passes together in the D then set up a tap-in for the goal.

Soon enough came another goal for Edinburgh when Scott Thompson smashed the ball against the backboard from close range.

Hillhead pulled one back when Craig Hilton struck to make it 4-1 but a second goal for Howarth restored the advantage for Edinburgh at 5-1.

It was 6-1 when Howarth secured his hat trick before Tom Marchmont added his name to the score sheet.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Glenanne counter strikes shoot down Pembroke

Glenanne celebrate going 3-0 up against Pembroke. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Glenanne produced some glorious counter-attacking hockey to pick off Pembroke who were left to rue their own profligacy in front of goal in the first of the men’s EY Champions Trophy semi-finals.

Shane O’Donoghue applied two delicious finishes from tight angles while Shannon Boucher stole in at the back post top copper-fasten the win with four minutes to go to complete the win and keep alive hopes of a double.

For Pembroke, they won seven penalty corners, the first two of which came in the opening minute, but they could not force a save out of Iain Walker from any of them.

Had they worked, this might have been a very different tie. Pembroke had large swathes of the ball but that played into Glenanne’s preferred method, charging out of defence and exploiting the space.

Sam O’Connor is particularly adept in these phases and it was his burst forward down the right that helped put O’Donoghue through. he picked his spot – despite a narrow angle – beyond Mark Ingram for 1-0 in the 14th minute, slapping home with immense power.

For Pembroke, the corner chances kept coming but O’Connor charged down a number to build tension and hesitation in the minds at the top of the D. One Sothern backhand hit the net but too high for a first strike on goal.

Boucher should have created another for the Glens but chose to shoot with two waiting men at the back post from another golden chance. For Pembroke, Nick Burns had their best opening but was defied by a combination of Walker’s stick and face mask.

The second half saw the greens sit deeper still and Pembroke could find little joy from the tightened space.

When they did, Walker got out to smother. And when they escaped the press, it set the cogs in perfect motion like when they went 2-0 up as Pembroke sniffed a chance of stealing from Rowland Rixon-Fuller but he held on and three passes later, Boucher was bearing down on the circle. He slipped to O’Donoghue who lifted a lovely backhand lob over Mark Ingram and into the corner.

Ingram did brilliantly to deny Eddie O’Malley a third in the closing quarter but the game was put to bed when Jason Rogan got a shot off, helped on the way by Stephen Brownlow virtually to the line where Boucher added the final, but slightly unnecessary, touch.

The win puts Glenanne to their first EY Champions Trophy final.

Men’s EY Champions Trophy semi-final
Glenanne 3 (S O’Donoghue 2, S Boucher)
Pembroke 0

Glenanne: I Walker, D Keogh, N Byrne, R Couse, E O’Malley, S Boucher, J Brennan, S Brownlow, S O’Donoghue, G Shaw, S O’Connor
Subs: R Rixon-Fuller, R Shaw, A Clayton, G Gibney, J Rogan, J Murtagh, E Tucker

Pembroke: M Ingram, R Lynch, K O’Hare, R Flannery, K Shimmins, R Sweetnam, K Crawford, A Sothern, C Mushiete, M Treacy, S Sweetnam
Subs: J Ryan, C Murphy, N Burns, P Shanahan, W Brownlow, S Sullivan, S Thornton

The Hook

Madeley’s last second magic keeps Rovers retention hopes in tact

Harry Morris celebrates TRR’s first goal. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Luke Madeley fired home a final hooter penalty corner to put Three Rock Rovers into the EY Champions Trophy final and into Europe – by virtue of Glenanne’s win – as they keep their hopes alive of retaining the title.

All the goals came in the second half with Rovers upping their tempo significantly and forcing the issue after a low-key first half which Garvey shaded. Indeed, it was a slow-burner with the defensive lines on top and the likes of Ravin Nair, Luke Madeley and Paul Gleghorne making key tackles.

Chances were rare with the better ones falling to Garvey, Daniel Nelson blazing a reverse over while Peter McKibbin found himself alone on the left post after the dissemination of a corner but could not set himself for the chance which Jamie Carr closed down.

For Rovers, Richard Pautz was showing rapid turns of skill down either baseline to cause regular panic while his rising shot was the best Rovers mustered, drawing a dramatic looking save from James Milliken.

The early stages of the second half provided more of the same before Rovers began to start picking off more and more interceptions. The crucial one came in the 50th minute when John Mullins nicked the ball on halfway, applying a quick pass to Conor Empey who flicked into the path of Pautz.

The South African decided to cross first time, clipping it perfectly for the diving Harry Morris to guide home. They held that advantage up until the closing 11 minutes with Garvey toiling but they got level out of nothing when a left wing attack saw the ball squirt loose out of a tackle.

No one really reacted bar Ryan Getty who saw the ball and clipped it first time on backhand across goal where Matthew Nelson – Garvey’s strongest presence – touched in at the right post.

The Rathfarnham side, though, kept pushing on with Kevin Mullins denied a solo goal by James Milliken and Jody Hosking’s rasping strike was parried away, too. He also saved Madeley’s first corner drag in the closing few minutes but could not keep out his second on the buzzer.

Rovers now face Glenanne in Sunday’s final at 5pm.

Men’s EY Champions Trophy semi-final
Three Rock Rovers 2 (H Morris, L Madeley)
Lisnagarvey 1 (M Nelson)

Three Rock Rovers: J Carr, D Kane, R Nair, R Canning, M Darling, L Madeley, D Walsh, H Morris, J Hosking, R Pautz, M Samuel
Subs: P Blakeney, C Empey, J Mullins, B Walker, K Mullins, B McCrea, C Quinn

Lisnagarvey: J Milliken, J Lorimer, J Bell, N Glassey, A Williamson, S Murray, D Buser, M Nelson, M Robson, P McKibbin, P Gleghorne
Subs: R Getty, R Arneill, D Nelson, H Morris, M McNellis, S McCabe, J Ritchie

The Hook

Mighty Quins hold nerve to reach EY Champs Trophy final

Cork Harlequins celebrate their shoot-out win. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Cork Harlequins held their nerve in the shoot-out series to beat Pegasus 3-1 after a hotly contested 2-2 draw in normal time in the Rathfarnham heat, setting up a Sunday final date with Loreto for the EY Champions Trophy at 2.30pm.

Coolly taken shoot-outs from Cliodhna Sargent, Michelle Barry and Rebecca Barry got them over the line with only Taite Doherty able to reply from Pegs’ four efforts, giving Quins the chance at a first title.

Pegasus took a third minute when Shirley McCay’s slapped corner shot was well saved by Emma Buckley but right into the path of Steph Thompson who nudged the ball in from close range.

The reply was swift with Michelle Barry spotting half a chance to unleash a reverse, taking it early enough to catch the defence unawares with the ball spinning off a defender and through goalkeeper Sammy-Jo Greer.

At times, Quins looked like pulling clear during the second quarter with a serious spell of possession and menace. They did get one on the board, an absolute peach of a move. Roisin Upton burst out of her own 23 and delivered a fine backhand pass down the line that invited Naomi Carroll to race onto.

Carroll laid back to Upton who passed it back to her on the baseline, eliminating the last defender, allowing Carroll to pick out Michelle Barry to flick home despite Greer’s diving efforts.

With each strong spell of Quins pressure, though, came an equal riposte from Pegasus and they were level at three quarter time. They had one impudent corner lob-flick from McCay – spotting Buckley going down early – volleyed away by Sargent.

But another corner slap drew the goal, lifting the ball beyond the logged Buckley with the post woman unable to get enough to clear off the line this time. The debate went on as to whether it would have crossed the line at backboard height but such appeals were waved away.

Quins again had the best of the final quarter, particularly when Katie McKee was shown a yellow for a foul on Upton. Michelle Barry’s reverse was the closest call while Carroll twice flicked into Greer’s stomach as Pegasus stood firm for a shoot-out chance.

After a scoreless first round, Sargent took the initiative with a thumping hit from the top; Lucy McKee tried the same route but went just wide. The third round was also scoreless but both Michelle and Rebecca Barry showed confidence to shoot home and out of reach of the Ulster side.

Women’s EY Champions Trophy semi-final
Cork Harlequins 2 (M Barry 2)
Pegasus 2 (S Thompson, S McCay),
Cork Harlequins win shoot-out 3-1

Cork Harlequins: E Buckley, C Sargent, Y O’Byrne, R Upton, S Murphy, J O’Halloran, N Carroll, C Perdue, O Roycroft, R Barry, M Barry, I Burns, E O’Leary, A O’Grady, R Hobbs, S Griffin, E Barber, E O’Meara

Pegasus: S-J Greer, H Grieve, C Harvey, R Maguire, T Doherty, K Morris, M Harvey, L McKee, K McKee, A Speers, R McMillan, G Irwin, S McCay, P Glass, K Gourley, S Thompson, M Bowyer, M Todd

The Hook

Loreto hit tactical perfection to knock out UCD

Loreto celebrate their crucial goal. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Loreto produced the perfect tactical performance to end UCD’s bid for a second successive national treble as Ali Meeke’s tenacious 14th minute goal proved critical in the first semi-final at Grange Road.

She took on a free herself, goaded the defender at the head of the D before making her entry into the circle with a quick jink. From there, she kept tipping away with the ball bouncing back to her stick twice, the latter time off Clodagh Cassin’s chest before popping home the rebound.

It was the moment of inspiration required for Loreto who had been the most likely to beat UCD this term but had not quite got the breakthrough in their league and Irish Senior Cup battles.

It might have been different had Deidre Duke taken one of two big chances in the first half; the first saw her round Alannah Carragher only to push into the outside of the goal, the latter was a fresh-air when set free.

Loreto, though, were the side in the driving seat for the vast majority of the tie. UCD were not allowed to set their platform around the back with numerous turnovers forced. The Beaufort side ran up four corners, one of which saw Cassin pull out an unreal stop from Siofra O’Brien’s deflection at close quarters. Sarah Torrans volleyed wide and also had a clean strike repelled by Cassin.

UCD’s attacks, meanwhile, were funnelled more and more directly down the throats of the immaculate centre back pairing of Hannah Matthews and Hannah McLoughlin while Nicci Daly is the perfect woman to outlet to and release the pressure.

There was a heart-stopper with two minutes to go when Lena Tice fired in a crash ball which Sorcha Clarke deflected in. The free, however, was taken outside the 23m line rather than inside and moved five metres.

Women’s EY Champions Trophy semi-final
Loreto 1 (A Meeke)

UCD: C Cassin, S Twomey, L McGuire, D Duke, E Curran, K Mullan, E Russell, A Russell, L Tice, O Patton, S Robinson
Subs: L Gunning, K Egan, B Barr, S Clarke, A Richardson, E Young, S Young

Loreto: A Carragher, A Meeke, S O’Brien, H McLoughlin, N Small, S Torrans, C Hamill, H Matthews, S Clarke, N Daly, C Sherin
Subs: S Evans, H Mulcahy, M Jennings, A Taaffe, L Fitzgerald, H McDermott, J McGirr

Umpires: L Coughlan, A Keogh

The Hook

Wits end day one with a 6-2 victory over UCT

By Sifiso Nyawo

Kamal Ramburuth Hurt of Wits during Game 4 Wits v UCT varsity hockey match at Wits Hockey field Johannesburg Photo by: Christiaan Kotze/SASPA

The final Match of the first day in the 2018 Varsity Hockey tournament was pure entertainment as hosts Wits proved to be too good for UCT, who they beat 6-2.

The first half was evenly poised, with both sides starting off in a very cautious manner in the opening minutes. The end of the first quarter ended up seeing the sides having to go into the short interval deadlocked at 0-0. It took quite a while for the teams to break the deadlock, but it was eventually broken, when Wits’ Bryce Cressy picked a pass from close range to give his side 2-0. And then shortly after that Chad Futcher made it 3-0 at the stroke of halftime.

The second half saw the host get on the scoreboard quickly, with Brandon James fighting his way past a few UCT defenders to score a brilliant field goal and gift Wits a comfortable 5-0 lead just 2 minutes into the half.

Wits then continued to surge forward in numbers, looking to add to their lead with the crowd spurring them on but UCT stood strong. Wits had to settle for the 5-0 lead at the end of the third quarter. The last quarter was the most interesting of the game, with both sides looking to leave it all on the turf.

UCT, however, eventually got themselves on the scoreboard, when Matthew Mc Kechnie scored a superb field goal, managing to unleash a vicious back-stick shot to send the ball from the left hand side into the top corner. Sadly that was the last time the men from the Cape impacted the scoresheet, with Wits having the last say in the match thanks to a powerful drag flick from Michael Marki, who made it 6-2 to Wits.

Wits: 6
Goals: Bryce Cressy, Chad Futcher, Brandon James

UCT: 2
Goals: Matthew Mc Kechnie

*Field goals count as 2 in the Varsity Sports Hockey competition

FNB Player of the Match: Michael Marki (Wits)
Mugg & Bean Star Player: Anton Van Loggerenberg (UCT)
Samsung Super Striker: Chad Futcher (Wits)

Wits: 1. Duncan Fischer, 2. Gareth Riley, 4. Cody Van Wyk, 5. Brad Riley, 6. Brandon James, 7. Michael Marki (C), 8. Jaryd Thomas, 10. Thabang Modise, 11. Chris Makaba, 12. Chad Futcher, 13. Bryce Cressy
Subs: 14. Sean Donaldson, 15. Michael Horan, 17. Rusten Abrahams, 18. Kamal Ramburuth-Hurt, 19. Kingsley Botes, 20. John Henning, 23. Sizwe Nyandeni

UCT: 5. Bjorn Sorensen, 4. Ross Talmage, 6. Malachy Barbour, 2. James Watters, 12. Dan Cole, 19. Nick Mc Kechnie, 10. Jack Forrest, 8. Walter Pfaff, 14. Michael Gildenhuys, 15. Jaydee Rossouw, 7. Matthew Mc Kechnie
Subs: 3. Tim Alfeld, 13. Mawu Zukisa, 23. Daiyaan Solomons, 31. Tino Elijah, 28. Ross Maharage, 1. Anton Van Loggerenberg, 26. Liam Peter

Varsity Sports Media release

UJ off the mark, hammering Kovsies 7-0

By Sifiso Nyawo

Manessah Dube of UJ and Shelton Mollentze of Kovsies during Game 6 UJ v Kovsies varsity hockey match at Wits Hockey field Johannesburg Photo by: Christiaan Kotze/SASPA

Action at the Varsity Hockey tournament continued, with UJ managing to notch up their first victory of this year’s campaign, when they picked a 7-0 win over Kovsies.

With both UJ and Kovsies searching for their first victory, the encounter was a rather cagey affair in the beginning with UJ enjoying a few more opportunities and possession. That spurred UJ on and they eventually found a breakthrough with 53 seconds remaining in the first quarter, when Courtney Halle drag flicked from the top of the circle, off a short corner, to give the orange army a 1-0 lead.

The second quarter saw UJ continue their good run, when they managed to find the back of the net, almost instantly when Che February maneuvered his way around the circle to find some space and finish well, to give UJ more space to breathe at 3-0. The rest of the quarter saw an evened out contest, with no one adding anything further to the scoreboard at halftime.

The second half in parts, belonged to UJ, but Kovsies also held their own, defending well and attacking when the opportunity presented itself. The score remained at 3-0 with one last quarter to go.

The fourth quarter was full of action, mostly involving the men from Johannesburg. Midway through the quarter, UJ were awarded a penalty flick, which saw Kovsies keeper LouFrans Esterhuizen block to keep his team in contention. Floods of UJ attack continued to enter the Kovsies circle, and eventually UJ skipper Kyle Lion-Cachet managed to direct a pass into the circle from the left-hand side, to increase his side’s lead to 5-0. Less than a minute later, UJ’s Raynor York pounced on a pass amongst a few Kovsies defender to score past Esterhuizen and see his team seal a well deserved 7-0 win.

UJ: 7
Goals: Courtney Halle, Che February, Kyle Lion-Cachet, Raynor York

Kovsies: 0

*Field goals count as 2 in the Varsity Sports Hockey competition

FNB Player of the Match: Brad Robertson (UJ)
Mugg & Bean Star Player: Matthew Martins (UJ)
Samsung Super Striker: Courtney Halle (UJ)

UJ: 1. Matthew Martins, 2. Brad Robertson, 4. Andile Ndlovu, 5. Kyle Lion-Cachet, 6. Michael Newland-Nell, 7. Chad Burke, 8. Courtney Halle, 9. Che February, 10. Spencer Botes, 11. Keegan Smith, 13. Ernest Jacobs
Subs: 15. James Gilbert, 16. Raynor York, 17. Jesse Martins, 18. Diego De Abreu, 20. Manessah Dube, 21. Gary Cooper, 23. Tristan Blackie-Roden

Kovsies: 1. Lou Frans Esterhuizen, 2. Andre Nel, 3. Egon Van der Merwe, 5. Raymond De Villiers, 6. Ryan Scheepers, 7. Matthew Ramos, 8. Willie Kruger, 9. Mpho Tsaoane, 10. Gerhard Van Bosch, 11. Justin Smouse, 13. Tiaan Weldhagen
Subs: 14. Stephan Van Vollenhoven, 15. Mvelase Mbombisa, 18. Cheslyn Neethling, 19. Shelton Mollentze, 21. Jan Willem Ras, 22. Tylor Oliver, 24. Luyolo Nkosana

Varsity Sports media release

UCT boss Madibaz to win 6-0

By Sifiso Nyawo

Jack Forrest of UCT during Game 7 UCT v Madibaz varsity hockey match at Wits Hockey field Johannesburg Photo by: Christiaan Kotze/SASPA

In the second round of Varsity Hockey fixtures, UCT finally got off the mark by beating Madibaz 6-0, in a game that was far closer than the score line portrays.

The game initially saw a real tug of war between the two sides, with the Madibaz also coming in off the back of a defeat, inflicted by Maties in yesterday’s action. The first quarter saw both the Madibaz and UCT testing each other out very early on with both shot-stoppers on either side standing strong in between the sticks.

It took until the dying moments of the quarter to see a goal nestle in the net, when Matthew McKeshnie slid one past Nathan Waters from the Madibaz and give UCT a 2-0 lead. The rest of the first half featured a few close moments for both sides, but it was UCT who enjoyed the bulk of the opportunities. This did not make a difference to the scoreboard, however, as it remained 2-0 to the men from the Cape.

The second half was where the men were separated from the boys. UCT were quick to extend their lead, scoring inside the first 2 minutes, through a well-taken field goal from Michael Gildenhuys. That would unfortunately be the last bit of goal mouth action the spectators would witness for the rest of the quarter, but for a few close moments that were not converted.

The last quarter saw the Madibaz try to find a way onto the scoresheet, attacking from all parts of the turf but the UCT defence cleared their lines well every time, keeping things tight at the back. With 15 seconds remaining in the game, UCT did manage to break after a Madibaz attack to see Walter Pfaff secure a much needed 6-0 victory for the Capetonians at a rather chilly Wits Astro turf.

UCT: 6
Goals: Matthew McKechnie, Michael Gildenhuys, Walter Pfaff

Madibaz: 0

*Field goals count as 2 in the Varsity Sports Hockey competition

FNB Player of the Match: Bjorn Sorensen (UCT)
Mugg & Bean Star Player: Ross Talmage (UCT)
Samsung Super Striker: Michael Gildenhuys (UCT)

UCT: 5. Bjorn Sorensen, 4. Ross Talmage, 6. Malachy Barbour, 2. James Watters, 12. Dan Cole, 19. Nick Mc Kechnie, 10. Jack Forrest, 8. Walter Pfaff, 14. Michael Gildenhuys, 15. Jaydee Rossouw, 7. Matthew Mc Kechnie
Subs: 3. Tim Alfeld, 13. Mawu Zukisa, 23. Daiyaan Solomons, 31. Tino Elijah, 28. Ross Maharage, 1. Anton Van Loggerenberg, 26. Liam Peter

Madibaz: 1. Nathan Waters, 18. Joshua Engole, 4. Kurt Wicht, 5. Jason Mc Gillivray, 6. Callan Dewar, 7. Arno Van Jaarsveld, 8. Alexander Penhall, 9. Jacque Potgieter, 2. Keoghan Penhall, 11. Laython Coombes
Subs: 12. Brodie Fanoe, 14. Christopher Wynford, 15. Michael Hansel, 22. Andre Potgieter, 23. Athi Mbovane, 21. Jared De Kock, 24. Duncan Hare, 16. Richard Asmah-Andoh

Varsity Sports media release

Maties leave it late to stun Wits 4-2

By Sifiso Nyawo

Max Pike of Maties and Cody Van Wyk of Wits during Game 8 Wits v Maties varsity hockey match at Wits Hockey field Johannesburg Photo by: Christiaan Kotze/SASPA

In what was arguably the big match of the day, on day two of the Varsity Hockey tournament, Maties managed to claim the scalp of hosts Wits in an epic 4-2 win over the Johannesburg outfit.

Day one had seen both teams come away with victories over UCT and the Madibaz respectively.

The first half was a dull affair in terms of goals, with both sides failing to breach each others defensive lines. There were, however, many close moments that always asked the best of the two goalies.

The match was played with ferocious pace, with the ball being moved around the turf swiftly with both Wits and Maties seemingly feeding off each other’s energy to go in search of an opener. At the interval both sides had to settle for a 0-0 stalemate, with both coaches possibly happy not to have conceded in the fierce battle.

The third quarter saw the teams return with the same energy and intensity, but this time around it was the hosts Wits who walked away the happier of the two, with Kingsley Botes breaking the deadlock with a well taken field goal to earn his side a narrow 2-0 lead at the end of the third quarter.

The last quarter saw players leave it all out on the turf, pushing their limits right until the end. It was however Maties, who left the best for last scoring two quick field goals from Reece Arendse and Luke Schooling at the death to seal an emphatic late 4-2 win over a courageous Wits side.

Wits: 2
Goal: Kingsley Botes

Maties: 4
Goals: Reece Arendse, Luke Schooling

*Field goals count as 2 in the Varsity Sports Hockey competition

FNB Player of the Match: Cody Van Wyk (Wits)
Mugg & Bean Star Player: Rob Mc Kinley (Maties)
Samsung Super Striker: Reece Arendse (Maties)

Wits: 1. Duncan Fischer, 2. Gareth Riley, 4. Cody Van Wyk, 5. Brad Riley, 6. Brandon James, 7. Michael Marki (C), 8. Jaryd Thomas, 10. Thabang Modise, 11. Chris Makaba, 12. Chad Futcher, 13. Bryce Cressy
Subs: 14. Sean Donaldson, 15. Michael Horan, 17. Rusten Abrahams, 18. Kamal Ramburuth-Hurt, 19. Kingsley Botes, 20. John Henning, 23. Sizwe Nyandeni

Maties: 1. Rob Mc Kinley, 2. Andrew Hobson, 4. Nicholas Giger, 5. Tom Richardson, 7. Matthew Roman, 8. Alex Stewart, 9. Wade Dollman, 11. Dayne Samboer, 12. Maximillian Pike, 14. Gareth Tate, 15. Ruari Baker
Subs: 16. Jordan Turnbull, 17. Luke Schooling, 21. Clayton Saker, 23. Reece Arendse, 24. Callen Heynes, 29. Mbuso Mgobozi, 38. William Eveleigh

Varsity Sports media release

Pahang side aim to stop SSTMI from lifting the title

By Aftar Singh

KUALA LUMPUR: Tunku Mahkota Ismail Sports School (SSTMI)-Thunderbolt are gunning for a record seventh Malaysian Junior Hockey League (MJHL) overall title.

But Pahang Hockey Academy (AHP)-SSP-Thunderbolt want to end SSTMI’s domination in the final at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil today.

SSTMI edged SSP-Thunderbolt 4-3 in a penalty shootout after both teams failed to break a 2-2 deadlock in the final last year.

On paper, SSTMI will start as the favourites as they outplayed Pahang the team 5-0 in the league.

But Pahang coach Mohd Sufian Mohamed said his players are all fired up to win their first-ever silverware in the MJHL.

“We came so close to winning the overall title last year but lost in the penalty shootout. But this time my players are ready to turn the tables on the high-riding SSTMI team to end their unbeaten run this season.

“I want my players to rise to the occasion and get the better of SSTMI in regulation time,” said the former international.

The Pahang team will be led by forward Muhd Noor Firdaus Rosdi, who was named the best player in the Asian Youth Olympics Qualifier in Bangkok last week.

Firdaus, who helped Malaysia qualify for the Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in October, has scored nine goals for Pahang in the league. Pahang will have to watch out for top scorer Mohd Akhimullah Anuar Esook, who has netted 16 goals in the league and looks set to retain the top scorer award.

The 18-year-old Akhimullah, who netted 16 goals to become the top scorer in the Asian Youth Olympic Games in Bangkok, will be playing in his third straight final with SSTMI.

Akhimullah said his mission in the final is to score and help SSTMI win their seventh overall title and also retain his top scorer award.

“I scored a goal each in the last two finals in 2016 and also last year. And it will really be great if I can do it the third time. But we can expect a strong challenge from the Pahang team, who will go all out to end our domination.”

The Star of Malaysia

Hockey India now wants to continue with coaches till Tokyo Olympics

Sabi Hussain

NEW DELHI: The swapping of men's and women's team coaches following the Gold Coast CWG debacle wasn't a decision taken in haste and at least 43 current and former players - including past Olympians and veteran coaches - were consulted a length before Hockey India ringed in the changes, top HI sources told TOI on Saturday.

The sources revealed that the general feeling among the members, who were part of the week-long review meeting, was that the men's team, coached by Sjoerd Marijne, played its worst-ever hockey in recent times and it looked as if the "Indian hockey had travelled 10 years back in time" in terms of playing standard.

Both the men's and women's teams finished an identical fourth in Gold Coast. However, it's the shoddy performance of the men's team, captained by Manpreet Singh, which hurt the HI brass the most.

In its rather bizarre decision, women's team coach Harendra Singh was given the reins of the men's team, while the men's coach Marijne was attached to the women's team, a position he had previously held. It's been learnt that HI's high-performance director David John brokered the peace deal.

However, sources divulged an interesting piece of news. HI would continue with this coaching arrangement until the 2020 Tokyo Olympics without making further changes in the coaching department, no matter what the situation is.

This decision has been made after eyebrows were raised in the Sports Authority of India (SAI) over HI's much-criticised 'hire-and-fire' policy. But given HI's tendency to react at the drop of a hat, a disastrous outing at the forthcoming Asian Games and World Cup at home could easily bring the jobs of Marijne and Harendra under the scanner.

To a question why HI did not appoint Harendra as men's team coach when Roelant Oltmans was fired last year, the source added that HI felt that the junior World Cup-winning coach was not ready for the job at that time.

The Times of India

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author