Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 15 January 2018

All the news for Monday 15 January 2018

Women's Asian Games Qualifier 2018 - Day 3

KAZ v TPE     1 - 1
SGP v HKG     1 - 1
THA v PAK     7 - 0


Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Thailand 3 3 0 0 15 0 15 9
2 Chinese Taipei 3 2 1 0 6 1 5 7
3 Kazakhstan 2 1 1 0 7 1 6 4
4 Hong Kong China 2 1 1 0 4 1 3 4
5 Singapore 3 0 1 2 1 4 -3 1
6 Indonesia 2 0 0 2 0 10 -10 0
7 Pakistan 3 0 0 3 0 16 -16 0

FIH Match Centre

2018 EuroHockey Indoor Championships (M) - Day 3

The European Indoor Championships have been held over 3 divisions in 3 locations. The Final day results are below.

2018 EuroHockey Indoor Championship (M)
Antwerp (BEL)

Pool C     RUS v DEN     5 - 2 (2 - 1
Pool C     CZE v SUI     4 - 2 (3 - 1)
3rd/4th Place     POL v GER     8 - 9 (1 - 5)
Final     BEL v AUT     4 - 4 (1 - 3) (1 - 2 SO)

Pool C

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Czech Republic 3 3 0 0 17 6 11 9
2 Russia 3 2 0 1 12 9 3 6
3 Switzerland 3 1 0 2 11 11 0 3
4 Denmark 3 0 0 3 6 20 -14 0

Final Standings

1. Austria
2. Belgium
3. Germany
4. Poland
5. Czech Republic
6. Russia
7. Switzerland
8. Denmark

2018 EuroHockey Indoor Championship II (M)
Alanya (TUR)

Pool C     ITA v TUR     2 - 3 (1 - 1)
Pool C     POR v ENG     6 - 3 (3 - 0)
Pool D     CRO v UKR     2 - 4 (2 - 0)
Pool D     NED v SWE     3 - 1 (2 - 1)


Pool C
Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Portugal 3 2 1 0 16 9 7 7
2 Italy 3 1 1 1 7 7 0 4
3 Turkey 3 1 1 1 10 13 -3 4
4 England 3 0 1 2 8 12 -4 1
Pool D
Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Netherlands 3 3 0 0 10 3 7 9
2 Ukraine 3 2 0 1 12 11 1 6
3 Sweden 3 1 0 2 12 15 -3 3
4 Croatia 3 0 0 3 8 13 -5 0

Final Standings

1. Netherlands
2. Ukraine
3. Sweden
4. Croatia
5. Portugal
6. Italy
7 Turkey
8. England

2018 EuroHockey Indoor Championship III (M)
Nicosia (CYP)

Pool A     SCO v SLO     11 - 0 (7 - 0)
Pool A     WAL v GRE     10 - 0 (6 - 0)
Pool A     SVK v BLR     2 - 5 (1 - 2)
Pool A     SLO v CYP     1 - 0 (1 - 0)
Pool A     SCO v WAL     4 - 0 (2 - 0)
Pool A     GRE v BLR     2 - 12 (1 - 2)
Pool A     CYP v SVK     2 - 7 (1 - 3)

Final Standings

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Belarus 6 6 0 0 53 8 45 18
2 Slovakia 6 4 1 1 28 16 12 13
3 Scotland 6 4 0 2 47 9 38 12
4 Wales 6 2 2 2 32 16 16 8
5 Slovenia 6 2 1 3 10 32 -22 7
6 Cyprus 6 1 0 5 7 50 -43 3
7 Greece 6 0 0 6 4 50 -46 0

FIH Match Centre

Austria hold nerve to win their second Euro indoor crown ahead of Belgium

©: Frank Uijlenbroek / World Sport Pics

Austria are the European indoor champions for the second time as they held off an incredible challenge from hosts Belgium who rocked the Lotto Arena in Antwerp.

The Austrians looked well on course to win the title for the first time since 2010 in Almere as they built a 3-0 half-time lead only for the Belgians to storm back into contention, levelling the game at 3-3 and then 4-4 late in the game.

But Austria, as they had done in the semi-final, kept their composure in the shoot-out with Michael KORPER putting them ahead 2-1 before Mateusz Szymczyk denied Max Plennevaux to land the victory.

For Belgium, it continues their recent final frustration having lost in the 2016 Olympic and 2017 European outdoor final. Nonetheless, as the 16th world ranked indoor side, it represents a massive performance and equaled their best performance having ended second in 1976 also.

Early on, Benjamin Stanzl was the star man – later named player of the tournament – scoring twice in the opening eight minutes, both beautifully taken shots. Sebastian Eitenberger added the third for what looked a powerful lead.

Belgium, though, started to scratched away at the lead with Nicolas Vandiest’s penalty corner reducing the gap. Pierre Louis Maraite applied a brilliant touch from the right edge of the circle to get within range before Tom Degroote rifled in an equaliser.

Patrick Schmidt restored the Austrian lead but Plennevaux levelled once more with five minutes to go, a goal of the tournament contender as Belgium blocked an Austria corner and broke at pace, leading to a fabulous backhand finish.

That sent it to shoot-out but Austria showed less nerves in the final reckoning to secure the crown.

Germany showed their resolve when it mattered most to claim bronze ahead of Poland in a 17-goal classic in Antwerp. Valentin ALTENBERG’s team looked set to be in cruise control at half-time when they led 5-1 thanks to a first half hat-trick from Anton Boeckel and two from Moritz Fuerste.

Poland withdrew their goalkeeper for all of the second half and used the extra man superbly, however, and fought their way right back into the game. Three goals in five minutes reduced the gap to 5-4 and, after an exchange of goals at each end, an unmarked Artur Mikula eventually levelled the game at 7-7 with six minutes to go.

Karol Majchrzak put Poland in front for the first time in the 36th minute. Fuerste equalised, though, and Nils Grunewald nicked the win with mere moments remaining to grab the third place medal.

Euro Hockey League media release

Two wins but third place finish for Scotland men in Nicosia

Scotland came third in Men’s EuroHockey Indoor Championship III in Nicosia, narrowly missing out on qualification. The final day of the tournament saw the Scots clock up two big victories against Wales and Slovenia.

Scotland 11-0 Slovenia

Scotland went on a goal scoring rampage against Slovenia in the final day of Men’s EuroHockey Indoor Championship II in Nicosia. The 11-0 victory, along with a defeat for Slovakia elsewhere, put the Scots just one point shy off second place in the tournament.

Gordon Amour got the ball rolling early doors when he scored in the second minute to put Scotland in front.

Scotland’s early dominance was then rewarded with a quick flurry of goals. Patch Christie hit the net for Scotland’s second, quickly followed by a Fergus Sandison strike and then a second goal for Christie. Ten minutes gone and Scotland was 4-0 up.

Amour bagged his second of the match in the 14th minute and this was quickly followed be an expertly converted penalty stroke by Josh Cairns.

Youngster Ewan Mackie got his name on the score sheet as Scotland went 7-0 ahead just as half time approached.

Scotland took their commanding first half performance into the second half and Amour sealed his hat-trick two minutes after the restart.

A fourth goal of the contest for Amour came just after the half hour mark to make it a very healthy 9-0 lead for Scotland.

Christie was next to score, his thirteenth goal of the tournament, as Scotland cruised into a 10-0 lead.

Mackie finished the scoring with his second goal of the match, this time clinically converting a penalty stroke to send Scotland into their final game just one point off second spot in the table.

Scotland 4-0 Wales

Scotland won their final match of Men’s EuroHockey Indoor Championship III with a deserved 4-0 victory over Wales in Nicosia.

Gordon Amour was clearly on form on the final day of the tournament, and it was he who opened the scoring again for Scotland in the first minute of the match.

Josh Cairns proved his penalty corner prowess a minute later when he sent the ball sailing into the net to make it a comfortable 2-0 lead for Scotland in the early stages.

The Scots were on devastating form and should have been rewarded with more goals, somehow the ball wasn’t going into the net.

Scotland had to wait until half way through the second half for their third goal of the match. It came from a penalty corner and it was Fergus Sandison who found the net to send the Scots on the road victory with ten minutes left to play.

Cairns followed up with a fourth for Scotland just two minutes later to make things more comfortable as the Scots saw out the game.

Scotland Head Coach Stuart Neave said:

“We put in two very good performances today and I’m very pleased with how the boys picked themselves up after yesterday. We were absolutely on fire against Wales in the first half, it was two goals going on five or six. We played nice hockey, defended well, and scored some really good goals. Sadly the damage was done yesterday, just one goal against Slovakia would have been the difference.

“There’s lots of positives from the tournament, particularly the players in their first senior international tournament. They will have learned a lot and put in some excellent performances along the way.”


12 Jan 2018

11:10 (09:10) – Cyprus 1-13 Scotland
18:10 (14:10) – Greece 0-14 Scotland

13 Jan 2018

10:00 (8:00) – Scotland 4-5 Slovakia
17:00 (13:00) – Scotland 1-3 Belarus

14 Jan 2018

08:00 (06:00) – Scotland 11-0 Slovenia
12:40 (10:40) – Scotland 4-0 Wales

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Wanderers and Western to meet in women’s GALA final

Wanderers and Western to meet in women’s GALA final

This season`s GALA final for the women`s Indoor National League 1 championship will be between champions Dundee Wanderers and Milne Craig Clydesdale Western.

The catalyst in the first semi-final occurred in the 37th minute with Western leading 5-3, Edinburgh University were awarded a penalty but Becky Dru`s spot effort was saved by stand-in keeper Wendy Justice.  Regular keeper Jess Buchanan was forced to return home through illness and the Olympic bronze medallist stepped into the breech to defy the students.

It was a ding-dong opening with the score at 2-2 after ten minutes, Millie Steiger and Kayleigh Justice twice gave Western the lead only for Dru at a penalty corner and Katie Crawford to reply for the students. By the interval the Titwood-based side had taken a 4-3 lead, Susie Gilman and Alison Eadie with an overtime penalty corner were on target while Hanna McKie replied for University.

Four minutes into the second half Steiger scored her second of the game to put Western 5-3 ahead, the spot miss and also a couple of wasted penalty corners hindered Edinburgh`s cause. The tie was over when Margery Justice slotted home a set piece with three minutes left for a commanding 6-3 lead.

The second semi-final produced the almost inevitable hard graft struggle between the Tayside rivals Wanderers and Grove Menzieshill with the former emerging winners by the odd goal in three.

There were no goals for most of the first half, but with two minutes left Rachel Osborne gave the champions a precious single goal lead to take into half-time. It took until 33 minutes for the next goal, Jess Ross stole the ball from Grove Menzieshill, passed it on to teenager Ruth Blaikie who doubled Wanderers` tally. In a dramatic denouement Olympian Pauline Stott MBE pulled one back for Grove Menzieshill with a high shot at a penalty corner that flew past Carmin Dow.

In the final seconds Grove Menzieshill were awarded another set piece, but this time Stott sent her effort just wide of the target and it was Wanderers who advanced to the final.

Hillhead finished their indoor season with a creditable fifth place after beating CALA by the odd goal in seven. The Glasgow side raced into a three goal lead through Wendy Andrews, Jenny Sinclair and Shona Oliphant, although by the break it had been reduced to 3-2 with a double from CALA`s Shona McNab. Andrews then gave Hillhead a 4-2 cushion from the spot, and while McNab completed her hat-trick it was not sufficient to save the game.

After a rather dismal season Kelburne were finally relegated after going down to Wildcats in the play-off, but only by 2-1. Molly Godfrey scored the only goal of the first half for Wildcats, their tally was doubled with a strike by Catriona Booth. Catherine McLaughlin reduced the leeway at a penalty corner with three minutes left, but not enough to save the tie.

The final matches in Pool A went according to form, especially Western`s 9-0 win over Bromac Kelburne. Margery Justice was top scorer with a hat-trick while there were doubles for Millie Steiger and Alex Wilson.

The other encounter was a much closer affair, in fact champions Dundee Wanderers had to thank a last minute penalty corner strike by Emily Dark to save the blushes with a narrow 2-1 victory over Hillhead. It was goalless until 15 minutes when Amy Snelle opened the scoring for Wanderers. That is how the score stood until Rebecca Osbourne created a shock by equalising with just four minutes left.

But there was a shock in store for Grove Menzieshill in Pool B`s final matches, they went down 2-1 to CALA, the result did not prevent the Taysiders moving on to the semi-finals but it did save the Edinburgh side having to contest the later relegation play-offs. It was goalless at the interval, but within four minutes of the restart CALA edged ahead with a penalty corner conversion by Gurinder Saini. Within three minutes the Edinburgh side had doubled their tally when Shona McNab converted from the spot. Pauline Stott MBE pulled one back for Grove Menzieshill, but not enough to salvage the game.

Edinburgh University preserved their unbeaten record and finished top of the pool after a 4-1 win over Wildcats. A goal from University`s Hanna McKie was all that divided the sides at the interval. The students added three more in the second half, McKie again along with Sophie Maunder and Ella Watt before the Wildcats notched a very late consolation through Lucy Findlay.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Western Wildcats win U18 Boys Indoor Cup

Western Wildcats win U18 Boys Indoor Cup. Photo by Mark Pugh

Western Wildcats won the U18 Boys’ Indoor Cup at Bells Sports Centre with a 5-2 win over Watsonians in the final.

The day started with a Pool A showdown featuring Grove Menzieshill versus Gordonian’s. Gordonian’s showed their intent early with a conversion from George Jones in the opening seconds of the match. The contest was fast paced with the play racing up and down the court. Grove Menzieshill equalised through their captain, Jamie Golden. Both teams scored before the break to make it an even 2-2 at half time, Golden and Jones both earning a brace for their teams. Both teams came out fast after the break and it was Grove Menzieshill who made the advance with a corner conversion and Golden’s hat-trick. Gordonians were not out of the game, James Morris equalised. The last play of the game came from Gordonians a late penalty corner, Sam Hill earned the three points by converting.

Stewart’s Melville College took on Western Wildcats in the second game of Pool A. The College were the first to convert – Adam Stevenson in open play. Wildcats soon responded to make it 1-1 at half time, Fraser Moran getting his name on the score card. The College advanced by two goals after the half. Alex Riddell and Sam Tait scored in open play. Wildcats drew a goal back with three minutes on the clock through Sam Eadie.

The first game of Pool B saw Aberdeen Grammar School take on Watsonians. Grammar opened the scoring through Duncan Rudd. The game stayed at a 1-0 stalemate until late in the second half. Grammar pulled further ahead through Cammie Robson. Watsons scored through Fraser Heigh to bring the match to 2-1. Aberdeen Grammar scored two goals within the final minute to take the three points.

The second match in Pool B saw Clydesdale take on Perthshire. The Midland side came out convincing winners with a 4-0 final score, with a hat trick from Alex Wilson and a single strike from John Stephen.

Photo by Mark Pugh

In Pool A the second round of fixtures saw a tight game between Western Wildcats and Grove Menzieshill, both on the hunt for their first points. In the first half the two teams fought for the lead. Grove Menzieshill was first to score through Samuel Knight. Less than a minute later Wildcats evened the score through Sam Eadie. Grove Menzieshill advanced once more through a well converted penalty corner. On the stroke of half time Wildcats evened the score again to bring the half to a close at deadlock. Wildcats came out all guns blazing after the break scoring three goals. Grove Menzieshill made a comeback through Captain Jamie Golden, taking his hat-trick in the game, a minute later he made his tally four however it wasn’t enough to take the points from Wildcats.

Gordonians took on Stewart’s Melville College, with seven goals before the break, it was Stewart’s Melville that took the lead first through a penalty corner from Robbie Croll. A Gordonians reply was swift from open play and came through James Morrison. An almost exact replica of the goal came from Alex riddle to reinstate the lead from College. Gordonians again issued a response from Sam Hill. Another swing in possession saw Croll advance his team once more by converting a penalty stroke. Gordonians won a stroke four minutes later to bring the game back to a tie, Matt Davidson converting. The last goal of the first half left the Edinburgh side ahead, a coolly converted penalty corner earning Riddell a brace. The only goal of the second half went to Stewart’s Mellville – a strike by Sam Tait from a penalty corner eight minutes from time.

In Pool B’s second round of fixtures, Clydesdale faced Aberdeen Grammar and took an early lead in the second minute through Fraser Cowle. The game remained 1-0 for the rest of a tightly contested half with both teams having chances to score. In the second half Clydesdale took their chances and cruised to a 4-0 win. Jamie Green added the second goal after a nice bit of team play and this was followed five minutes later by Ben Galloway, adding Clydesdale’s third from a quick attacking move. Cowle added his second and Clydesdale’s fourth to put the game well beyond Aberdeen Grammar. Three goals in the first nine minutes saw Watsonians take a commanding lead over Perthshire early in the game. Euan Fraser opened the scoring before a quick-fire double by Fraser Heigh gave them a comfortable lead, that was until Perthshire pulled one back just before half time though Ross Fleming. Like in the first half, Watsonians came flying out of the blocks and scored two early goals. Fraser Heigh completed his hat trick in the 17th minute before Euan Burgess grabbed his second to make it 5-1 to Watsonians. Perthshire pulled one back through Alex Wilson from a penalty corner but it wasn’t enough to inspire a late comeback.

Photo by Mark Pugh

In the final pool games of the day, Pool A saw Stewarts Melville College face Grove Menzieshill. The latter raced into a 3-0 lead with three goals in three minutes. The first was a penalty stroke by Jamie Golden, quickly followed by a good finish from Fergus Rice before Golden made it three from a penalty corner. Stewarts Melville did not let the score line affect them and two quick goals after the break from Alex Riddell started a comeback. Grove Menzieshill restored their lead to two through Fergus Rice but Riddell went straight up the other end to make the score 4-3. In an exciting but tense last few minutes, Stewarts Melville thought they had rescued a draw after Riddell added his fourth goal in the 29th minute. That was until a very late penalty corner was fired home by Jamie Golden to give Grove Menzieshill the win. In the other game in the pool, Western Wildcats earned top spot thanks to a 5-2 win over Gordonians.  Two goals in the first three minutes from Fraser Moran and Andrew McConnell gave them a two goal lead, Matt Davidson replied for Gordonians in the fourth minute and despite numerous chances at both ends, the game remained 2-1 at the break. There were no more goals until the 24th minute, when Andrew McConnell beat two players before scoring into the corner of the net to make it 3-1. Gordonians replied through a good team goal finished by Chris Moon before Wildcats took control through two further goals from Andrew McConnell to win the game 5-2.

Pool B’s final games saw Watsonians win the group thanks to a 5-2 win over Clydesdale. Two goals from Murray Cannon gave them a 2-1 lead at half time, Alasdair Richmond scored the goal for Clydesdale after good build up play. Into the second half and Watsonians took control, James Graham made it 3-1 after good link up play with Cannon before two goals in the space of 30 seconds from Roddy Craig and Fraser Heigh made it 5-1 to put the game beyond Clydesdale. Fraser Cowle added a consolation goal in the final minute for Clydesdale with a delightful finish passed the keeper. Aberdeen Grammar v Perthshire was a tense affair as both teams knew the winner would advance to the semi-final. Aberdeen Grammar took a two goal lead thanks to two fantastic team goals, both finished excellently by Duncan Rudd. Perthshire pulled one back with eight minutes to go, John Stephen finishing off a penalty corner. There were multiple chances at both ends as Perthshire pushed to find an equaliser, but the Aberdeen Grammar defence held strong thanks to some good saves by Neal Fleming in goal. Not to be outdone, Oliver Sikora in the Perthshire net made a great save from a penalty stroke with 30 seconds left on the clock but Perthshire could not take advantage and Aberdeen Grammar held on to win.

Photo by Mark Pugh

In the 7th/8th placing match, Clydesdale faced off against Gordonians. Gordonians took the lead in the first minute thanks to a well taken goal by Sam Hill. It remained this way until into the second half when Gordonians scored two quick goals to make it 3-0. James Morrison scored a very good individual goal before George Jones won the ball high up the pitch and finished to make it 3-0. Sam Cole pulled one back for Clydesdale in the closing stages of the game.

In the other placing match for 5th and 6th, Grove Menzieshill came up against Perthshire. Grove Menzieshill opened the scoring through Keir Robb in the fourth minute with a well taken goal, Perthshire got their equaliser in the 12th through a similarly well taken goal by John Stephen. A late penalty corner allowed Jamie Golden the chance to give his side the lead going into half time, and he done so with a fine effort giving the keeper no chance. Into the second half and four goals in four minutes put Grove Menzieshill out of sight. Samuel Knight grabbed the third after a good individual run, before Keir Robb and Lewis McKenzie raced up the pitch in the next two attacks to add goals four and five for their team. Not settling for one goal, McKenzie won the ball back from the restart and scored his second and Grove Menzieshill’s sixth of the game. Findlay Donnelly scored a nice consolation goal for Perthshire with just a minute remaining on the clock.

In the first semi-final of the day, Western Wildcats faced off against Aberdeen Grammar. Western Wildcats proved just too strong for the Aberdeen side, as they raced into a 5-0 half time lead. Goals from Fraser Moran, Euan Cowan, Ronan Vennard, Andrew McConnell and Stuart Eadie, the latter a great finish from a penalty corner, emphasised Western’s dominance at the break. Aberdeen Grammar did have some chances, but ultimately could not take them as Western Wildcats added a further two goals through Vennard and MacKenzie to take a 7-0 lead. Aberdeen Grammar did get their goal as Leon Potts smashed home from a penalty corner, but it was no more than a consolation as Anderson and Eadie added goals 8 and 9 for Wildcats as they ran out 9-1 winners to take their place in the final.

Photo by Mark Pugh

In the second semi-final of the day Watsonians took on Stewarts Melville College. The game was played at a very high pace with both teams looking determined to make the final. A goal each for Euan Burgess and Adam Stevenson in the first five minutes left the score at 1-1 approaching half-time, then there was a flurry of goals. Watsonians went into a 3-1 lead through goals from Calum Wood and Fraser Heigh before Stewarts Melville immediately pulled one back through Stevenson again to leave the game nicely poised at 3-2 going into the break. But this was the end of Stewarts Melville’s chances as Watsonians took control in the second half. A quick goal from Fraser Heigh to complete his hat-trick made it 4-2 before he scored an absolute worldie for his fourth and his team’s fifth goal of the game. It was a definite goal of the day as he dribbled down the left hand side then from right in the corner he’s managed to pick out the far side of the net as he was falling over, a superb goal. James Graham added a sixth for Watsonians as they took their place in the final against Western Wildcats.

The third/fourth place playoff was between Aberdeen Grammar School and Stewarts Melville College. In a hard fought game of hockey, Aberdeen Grammar just edged it with a 4-3 win. Aberdeen Grammar went into a two goal lead thanks to two good finishes by Mark Alderson and Kieran Christie. Stewarts Melville pulled one back just before half time as David Johnston beat the keeper after good build up play down the right hand side. Aberdeen Grammar restored their two goal advantage with a great goal off a penalty corner, a lovely bit of play finished well by Duncan Rudd. The last ten minutes were frantic as both teams strived to win the game, Stewarts Melville pulled one back with eight minutes on the clock through Robson before Rudd scored a lovely goal to make it 4-2 to Aberdeen Grammar. Stewarts Melville continued to fight back and ensured a nervy ending as Robson added his second of the game with two minutes left. Unfortunately it was not to be for them and Aberdeen Grammar held on to take third place in the Boys’ Indoor Cup.

Photo by Mark Pugh

The final of the 2018 Indoor Boys Cup was contested by Western Wildcats and Watsonians. In a frantic start to the game, both teams had chances in the opening five minutes but neither team were able to make the break through from penalty corners. Wildcats opened the scoring in the 6th minute through Roshan Anderson after good play by Andrew McConnell. Almost immediately Watsonians replied as they broke forward and Murray Cannon fired a peach past the goalkeeper to level the game at 1-1. In the 9th minute Western Wildcats retook the lead, a nice short corner routine was fired home by Andrew McConnell. McConnell almost scored again a minute later, a lovely piece of skill gave him some space to lift the ball over the keeper but equally good defensive work by Roddy Craig cleared the ball off the line to keep the score at 2-1 approaching half time. With 15 seconds on the clock until the break, Fraser Moran extended Wildcats lead to 3-1, Kyle Bannerman won the ball in a dangerous area, passed to Moran who beautifully struck the ball into the top corner, a majestic strike.

The second half started at a similar pace to the first, almost immediately Andrew McConnell found space but a good save by Sam Gibb in the Watsonians goal kept the score at 3-1. Watsonians got a goal back in the 4th minute of the second half, good work by Euan Burgess was finished off well by Callum Wood. As Watsonians pushed for an equaliser, it left space at the back and both teams had multiple chances to add to the scoreline. It was Western Wildcats who would do so, in the 28th minute extending their lead to 4-2 through Fraser Moran who finished well after some good skill by Andrew McConnell. A penalty stroke in the final minute was finished well into the top corner by Moran, and put the game beyond doubt. Western Wildcats saw out the game to become 2018 Boys Indoor Cup Champions.

Photo by Mark Pugh

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Local-powered Tenaga teach fancied KLHC a lesson in MHL

By Aftar Singh

KUALA LUMPUR: Tenaga Nasional, led by only local players, taught fancied Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC) a lesson in the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL).

KLHC, who won the Tan Sri P. Alagendra Cup and the Charity Shield within five days earlier, were outplayed 4-2 by Tenaga at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

It was also sweet revenge for Tenaga as they were beaten 2-1 by KLHC in the quarter-finals of the Alagendra Cup.

It was Tenaga’s second straight win in the Premier Division as they edged Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL), powered by six foreigners, 3-2 last Friday.

Tenaga stayed top of the standings with six points while KLHC only have one point from their 2-2 draw against Terengganu last Friday.

KLHC, boasting seven national players and six imports, were a pale shadow of theside that won two titles earlier as they only shone in patches.

Tenaga, on the other hand, were firing on all cylinders and were 3-0 up after just 18 minutes.

They scored via their first penalty corner in the fifth minute through Syed Mohammad Syafiq Syed Cholan, whose high drag flick sailed past experienced goalkeeper Roslan Jamaluddin.

Five minutes later, Mohamad Akhimullah Anuar Esook increased the lead off a well-taken reverse stick attempt from the top of the semi-circle.

Tenaga kept up the pressure and netted their third goal in the 18th minute off a hit from the top of the semi-circle by Firhan Ashaari. Muhd Shahril Saabah made it 4-0 in the 48th minute off an acute angle.

KLHC only came alive in the last 10 minuteswith two penalty corner strikes from South Korean Jang Jong-hyun in the 51st and 59th minutes.

Tenaga coach Nor Saiful Zaini said his players were wiser after learning from their mistakes in the Alagendra Cup.

“Today my players did exceptionally well to capitalise on the chances to beat a side boasting world-class players,” said the former international.

“The players, however, need to work on their fitness. They were getting tired in the last quarter and we conceded two goals because of that.”

The Star of Malaysia

Unbeaten Telkom seal 20th league crown


Telkom's Lucy Wangeci in action against Multimedia University during their Kenya Hockey Union women's Premier League match on January 14, 2018 at City Park Stadium. PHOTO | CHRIS OMOLLO |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Telkom are the 2017 Kenya Hockey Union women’s Premier League title after they thrashed Multimedia University (MMU) 6-0 in a league match at the City Park Stadium.

The win sealed the league leaders’ 20th record crown with two matches to play.

Telkom are now on an unassailable 54 points, 14 points clear of second-placed Strathmore University Scorpions.

They have won all their 18 matches played so far this season, scoring an impressive 109 points and conceding only three goals in yet another dominant campaign.

Telkom coach Jos Openda praised his charges’ impressive form and work ethic which he said was a cut above the rest of the teams in the league.

“We have once again shown our hardwork and discipline on the pitch. Teams were better this season but we came out more prepared and hungry to retain the title,” a jubilant Openda said.

Openda now turns his attentions on defending their Africa Cup for Club Champions title in Accra, Ghana from Saturday.

Telkom coach Jos Openda follows the action during their Kenya Hockey Union women's Premier League match against Multimedia University at the City Park Stadium on January 14, 2017. PHOTO | CHRIS OMOLLO | NATION MEDIA GROUP

“There are some areas in our midfield and set-piece play that we need to work on before the club championship which will be very competitive and the pressure is on us as champions,” he added.

On her part, Telkom captain Tracy Karanja said their success will give them the confidence to do well in the continental showpiece.

“We are not tired of winning and we want to get even better and that means pushing ourselves even harder for more glory,” she said.

In Sunday's match, Telkom dominated possession early but wasted numerous chances before they finally found their groove. Evergreen striker Jackline Mwangi struck four times to take charge of the top scorers chart with 24 goals.

Her strike partner Audrey Omaido also scored her 21st goal of the campaign with Jane Ofula adding the other to complete an impressive display. The match saw the return of former international Hellen Chemtai to the Telkom squad after a two-year hiatus.

In an earlier women’s Premier League match, Kenyatta University Titans played out a goalless draw with Vikings. In the men’s Premier League, KU Vultures went down 3-0 to Butali Sugar Warriors and remain in danger of facing the drop.

Goals from Barnabus Odhiambo, Hannington Otieno and Zack Aura secured the three points for the 2015 champions. The result moved Butali to second place with 57 points, 16 ahead of Kenya Police who clinched the title on Saturday.

The students are second from bottom with 22 points with four matches left to play this season.

Daily Nation

Argentine Diego Paz revealed as part of Hockey World XI tour to Pakistan

PHOTO: www.cahockey.org.ar

Last month, Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) got the country buzzing when it announced a World XI hockey team would be visiting the country.

In a video statement, Argentinian hockey player Diego Ignacio Paz has been announced as one of the players coming to the country and he is ‘excited’ to be part of the hall of fame World XI team visiting Pakistan this month.

Paz says it’s wonderful to be part of the revival of hockey in the country. “Pakistan get ready, we are coming!” he says in the end.

Last month, PHF announced that arrangements were being put in place for the team to play two matches, one in Karachi on January 19 and the other in Lahore on January 21, in Pakistan.

Legendary penalty-corner specialist Sohail Abbas will be captaining the World XI side, which will include players from Holland, Spain, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Malaysia and South Korea, in the two matches against Pakistan’s national hockey team.

On the sidelines of World XI team’s visit, a Hall of Fame event will also be organised to honour former greats of the game from Pakistan, Australia and the Netherlands.

“We are hopeful that the arrival of hockey stars from around the world will not only open the doors of international hockey in Pakistan, but it will also provide a much-needed boost to the national sport in the country,” a PHF official told The Express Tribune.

The Express Tribune

PHF plans three-nation tournament to prepare for packed 2018

Kashif Abbasi

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) plans to kick-off 2018 with hosting a three-nation tournament in Oman next month to prepare the national side for this year’s packed up calendar which is set to witness the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, Champions Trophy and the World Cup.

PHF secretary Shahbaz Senior said the federation will be ‘taking help’ from the Asian Hockey Federation for the tournament which will feature teams from the continent only.

“We are planning to host a three-nation tournament in Oman during the third week of February and will request Asian Hockey Federation to help us,” he told Dawn.

The tournament, Shahbaz said, will be a part of the ‘efforts’ which are being made to revive the ailing condition of the national sport.

“I do agree, the performances of team have remained poor in the last few years, as decades old ills cannot be cured in one or two years, but our efforts are underway and now we are expecting good results in the upcoming Asian Games,” he said.

The Asian Games are set to be held in August in Jakarta after the Commonwealth Games in April and Shahbaz said Pakistan will target gold in the former event which is also considered as the qualification round for the 2020 Olympics.

“We are preparing hard to try and win gold in Asian Games, which is also a qualification round for the Olympics. I am hopeful the team will perform brilliantly in the Asian Games,” said the former forward.

To make the most of the opportunities set to come this year, PHF, as it claims, has made big changes to the team management and the selection committee.

“We have a good head coach in the shape of Hasan Sardar, who is being assisted by two other former captains Mohammad Saqlain and Rehan Butt,” Shahbaz said.

“The federation is also in the process of finding a foreign coach for the assistant coach position,” he added.

The PHF Secretary said the upcoming tour of a World XI side will also give a revitalising boost to the hockey atmosphere in the country. The side — which is said to feature players from historically successful hockey nations, namely Argentina, Australia, Netherlands — will play matches in Karachi and Lahore on January 19 and 21 respectively.

“The World XI team will play against young Pakistani players and it will be a big boost for our hockey,” said Shahbaz.


Hall of Fame: Pakistani Stalwarts

Someone rightly said, “History never forgives those who forget their heroes”. Laurels brought by hockey to Pakistan are more than any other sport: Only sport which has given Olympic golds and silvers (three each) to the country.   Pakistan’s record of winning the World Cup four times is still unmatched.

Unfortunately, country’s hockey fortunes have dwindled in recent times and no major win has come.

 International hockey is coming to Pakistan after a long time. A star studded World XI with players from the leading hockey nations is coming to play two matches against Pakistan at Karachi and Lahore on January 19 and 21 respectively.

In a remarkable gesture, Pakistan Hockey Federation has arranged a Hall of Fame induction ceremony which will be held in Karachi. Along with five international hockey luminaries, six Pakistani legends will be honoured.



The dashing right winger possessed lightning speed, the ability to cross and in the latter part of his career, especially as the captain, he became a wonderful scorer as well.              

1978 was his and indeed Pakistan hockey’s annus mirabilis: Under his captaincy, Pakistan won the World Cup, Asian Games and 1st Champions Trophy.  Also captained Pakistan at the 1975 World Cup (silver medal).  Was also a member of 1st World Cup winning squad in 1971. As the manager, he guided Pakistan to World Cup silver (1990), and Olympic bronze (1992).

-Shahnaz Sheikh

For the entire decade of 1970s, he remained one of the most feared forwards in the world. Originally a left out, he later played at the left in and centre forward positions mostly, and even as the right in- and was equally successful. This depicts his versatility.  His medal tally includes two World Cup golds and one silver plus an Olympic silver and bronze.

-Akhtar Rasool

Winning a World Cup gold is every hockey player’s dream, Akhtar Rasool has as many as three of them (1971, 78 & 82, when he was also the captain) plus one silver.  The centre half was the true pivot of the team and a wonderful distributer.  Also had wonderful anticipation and recovery which made him equally effective in the defence.


‘Flying Horse’ was the finest left winger of his time and may be of any period.

His lightening raids shattered all the defences. Played for Pakistan from 1973-82, has two World Cup golds and one silver plus an Olympic silver and bronze. Only Pakistani to score in four World Cups. Captained Pakistan at the 1982 Asian Games when they defeated India by a record score of 7-1 in the final.

-Hasan Sardar

Arguably, the greatest centre forward in the history of the game. He won the ‘Player of the Tournament’ award at the 1982 World Cup, 1984 Olympics, 1982 Asia Cup & 1982 Asian Games, with Pakistan winning all these four big title tournaments

He is also the holder of Pakistan’s all time record tally in a single World Cup with 11 goals in 1982 which is also a record for any forward (for any team) in a single World Cup edition.

-Shahbaz Ahmad

A complete package: unbelievable speed with the ball, stick work and dribbling skills mesmerized everyone on the field and off it, goal getting passes were precise and he himself was a fine scorer. Playing at the left in spot during most of his long career (1986-2002), he won the Player of Tournament title more than any other player of his era. Most significantly at the 1994 World Cup, when he captained his country to its last global title besides being declared Player of Tournament. Was also captain at the 1992 Olympics when Pakistan last won an Olympic medal (bronze) and also at their last success in the Champions trophy, in 1994.

PHF Media release

Indian hockey can shine in World Cup, CWG year: Sandeep Singh

NEW DELHI: Former national hockey captain and Arjuna awardee Sandeep Singh has called on the game's governing body in India and the country's media to promote hockey in a more proactive manner, while calling out 2018 as a potentially defining year.
In 2018, before the FIH World Cup in November-December, India's mens and women's teams will compete at the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. Writing in his column for TOI, Sandeep felt that Indian hockey could win laurels in 2018 but asked what the plans were for building depth in talent beyond these major events.

"We cannot produce champion teams overnight. Recently our hockey team whether it's our male, female or juniors, they have given sensational performances and this is testimony of hard work which has been put at the very grass-root level. After recent brilliant performances by our hockey team it still doesn't get the reach or eyeballs it deserve," wrote the 31-year-old.

"Media plays a very crucial role here. For any sport to grow it needs to be marketed and funded in a proper manner. Media has the tools to create stars which eventually helps the game to reach every corner of our country. We have a solid core group of talented players as if now, but we also need to think long term. We all are gearing up for 2018 as we have to compete in CWG games and World cup but what about Tokyo Olympics and our future plans, replacements?"

In 2017, the men's and women's teams were crowned Asian champions after lifting the Asia Cup titles. The men's team, led by Manpreet Singh, also won bronze at the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup and the FIH Hockey Word League in Bhubaneshwar.

Sandeep, who led India to victory at the 2009 Azlan Shah Cup, said the need was to create a wider and stronger pool of players so that Indian hockey could grow in the coming years. "We need to plan for long term, keep working hard to find future stars. And if we talk about Olympics, are we good enough to get a podium finish?," he wrote.

"To be honest right now there is no team in the hockey world which is dominating and if we want to get a medal at Tokyo we need to believe in our self and go one step at a time. We have the talent pool now which can beat any team at any given day. 2018 is a massive year for Indian hockey as we prepare to compete in CWG and World Cup. I am pretty confident that Indian hockey team will go from strength to strength and bring back the silverware in 2018."

The Times of India

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author