Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News 26 July 2014

All the news for Saturday 26 July 2014

SA hockey men beat hosts

Cape Town - An inspired second half performance saw South Africa win their opening men’s hockey pool match 2-0 against Scotland in the midday heat to get their Commonwealth Games campaign off to the perfect start on Friday.

And Rassie Pieterse, marking his 100th Test, will also have enjoyed the fact that he kept a clean sheet, against opponents that he made his international debut back in 2007.

The last time South Africa and Scotland met was earlier in July in the Investec Cup in London when South Africa won the bronze medal by winning 3-0. For the first half on Friday though it was the hosts who enjoyed the better chances and they even thought they had gone 1-0 ahead in the 13th minute, although the scrambled ‘goal’ was disallowed after South Africa reviewed it to the third umpire.

In that first half Scotland proved hard to break down as South Africa patiently tried to spread the ball wide and then attack down the flanks but they struggled to create much out of very little.

In the second half however, the match took on a very different complexion. The Scots weren’t helped when they received a yellow card in the 38th minute and while they were down to 10 men South Africa earned a penalty corner and from the attempt the ball was deemed to have struck a defender while goalbound and Andrew Cronje calmly stepped up to convert the penalty flick.

South Africa were looking the fitter, the more inventive and urgent, and coping with the 26 deg C heat better than the hosts. The Flowers of Scotland were wilting in front of a partisan home crowd’s eyes. The Scots earned their only penalty corner of the match in the 56th minute – South Africa had already tallied five of them but had squandered four – and only came back into the game in the last 10 minutes as the crowd tried to loft them.

However, any hopes of snatching a draw were dashed when Ignatius Malgraaff popped up late to seal the victory. Their next match is one of the biggest challenges in the world game: Australia on Monday


Gutsy performance not enough for Scotland Men against South Africa

Scotland striker Kenny Bain against South Africa. Photo Credit: Robert Moorley

Scotland Senior Men were unlucky to suffer a 2-0 defeat at the hands of South Africa in their opening game of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games Hockey competition today.

A controversial second half penalty stroke from Andrew Cronje and a brilliant field goal four minutes from time by Ignatuis Malgraff ensured the South Africans’ win.

Summarising his team’s performance, Scotland Head Coach Derek Forsyth said, “I thought our first half performance was very good, I felt our second half performance didn’t quite match the same quality. We didn’t have enough good possession in the second half to hurt South Africa. It’s a set-back, nothing more.

“If one of these chances go in and we get the upper hand, we get the momentum. We had a big chance right at the start of the second half. If that goes in, you have the crowd, you have the momentum, but unfortunately it just went wide of the post.”

Scotland Captain Chris Grassick added, “We’ve worked so hard, and we just needed that goal to get us into the game. I think when we look back at the stats in the game, the number of chances will be very even and we just need to turn our chances into goals, be smarter on the ball as well. We’ve proved that we can match these teams.”

The home side had a great opportunity as early as the third minute, striker Alan Forsyth finding himself in space on the right of the circle, only for South African goalkeeper Erasmus Pieterse to smother the shot on goal.

Shortly after, Kenny Bain just failed to latch onto a cross from Iain Scholefield right in front of goal.

Scotland appeared to have opening the scoring in the 13th minute after Nicky Parkes’ second attempt on goal with a reverse stick found the back of the goal. However, a South Africa appeal saw the goal decision reversed for an illegal use of the foot.

The first penalty corner attempt of the contest in the 22nd minute from South Africa captain Andrew Smith but Scotland goalkeeper Jamie Cachia was alive to parry the effort to safety.

Following a good inter-change between Bain and Gordon McIntyre, Ian Moodie was next to try and trouble the scorers but the Edinburgh University midfielder was unable to guide his attempt on target from a narrow angle.

With the sides going in level at half-time, the Scots had a golden opportunity to register on the scoresheet sixty seconds after the re-start, but Bain’s slide and shot went wide of the goal.

There was much debate in the 40th minute when a Ross Stott clearance off the goal-line from a Cronje penalty corner was adjudged by the umpires to have been illegal. Cronje subsequently made no mistake from the spot, beating Cachia low to his left to give his side a 1-0 lead.

Two further penalty corner chances for South Africa came and went before Bain again went close for the national side with two chances in quick succession.

Kenny Bain looking to get Scotland back on level terms. Photo Credit: Robert Moorley

Scotland had a penalty corner chance to grab a deserved equaliser ten minutes from time, but Peiterse was alive to Bain’s effort.

With only minutes to play, Ignatius Malgraff engineered a shooting opportunity for himself with some excellent skills along the base-line, consequently dispatching the ball past Cachia to make it 2-0 and seal the win for South Africa.

The Scots sit at the foot of Pool A following India’s 3-1 win over Wales earlier today and will face the Indians tomorrow at 4pm.

“It’s a slight different style obviously, we’ll have to take a look at them on video”, said Forsyth as he contemplated tomorrow’s opponents. “They’ve played Wales today, who kept a respectable scoreline. We’ll look to improve on our performance today but we have to be more consistent.”

Team Scotland: Jamie Cachia, Gareth Hall, David Forsyth, Nick Parkes, Michael Bremner, Dan Coultas, Alan Forysth, Chris Grassick (c), Ian Moodie, Gordon McIntyre, Ross Stott, Chris Nelson, Kenny Bain, William Marshall, Iain Scholefield, Niall Stott.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

India downs Wales

A. Vinod

India, bogged down by initial blues, came back strongly to score a 3-1 win over Wales in its first Pool A match of the men’s hockey event here on Friday.

The silver medallist at New Delhi 2010 looked unsettled right through the first session. The side, despite holding the upper hand, failed to convert the chances that came its way.

Gurvinder Chandi was guilty of missing a chance in the opening minute itself. A similar tale unfolded as Rupinder Singh muffed the first penalty-corner while Sunil Sowmarpet, Akashdeep Singh and Chandi got carried away, leaving Wales goalkeeper David Kettle to come up with easy saves.

At the other end, Gay Richard helped Wales to establish its presence, earning a penalty-corner which was, however, saved by India goalkeeper P.R. Sreejesh. However, the Indians regrouped and gained the lead as V.R. Raghunath drag-flicked fluently.

But, the joy in the Indian camp was short-lived as the Welshmen responded with an equaliser within just three minutes.

The Indians showed their skill and speed in fine fashion in the second session, especially close to the hour.  Notwithstanding a missed penalty-corner, the Indians kept the attack going and were rewarded when Rupinder made amends for his earlier two lapses to send his side into the lead, off another penalty-corner.

Kettle and the Welsh defence was forced to remain on their toes as India pressed hard further, running riot over the rival half and creating chances at will. One such move was what helped India extend its lead to 3-1 as Chandi found room for himself and fired from close range.

India will now play Scotland in its second league match on Saturday.

The result: India 3 (G. Chandi, Rupinder. Singh, V.R. Raghunath) bt Wales 1 (A. Cornick).

The Hindu

India men's hockey team opens account, beats Wales 3-1

GLASGOW: India on Friday began their Commonwealth Games men's hockey campaign with a facile 3-1 win over lowly Wales in a Pool A tie at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre here.

In what was a lazy and lacklustre beginning, India at half-time were held to a 1-1 scoreline by Wales, who are ranked 22 places below in the FIH Rankings. But a much better second half performance that saw two goals being scored put India through.

VR Raghunath opened the scoring for India from a penalty corner in the 20th minute. But his opener was cancelled out just three minutes by a stinging shot from Andrew Cornick.

It was another penalty corner post-break that gave India the lead for the second time in the match. R. Singh was at hand in 42nd minute to turn the ball into the back of the net.

Gurwinder Singh Chandi put the match beyond Wales in the 47th minute from India's first open-play goal in the match.

India, who have been clubbed alongside Wales, Scotland, and South Africa besides world champions and reigning gold medallist Australia, will next take on the hosts Saturday before taking on mighty Australia July 29, followed by their last pool encounter against South Africa slated for July 31.

The Times of India

Rupinder and Gurwinder score in India’s 3 – 1 win over Wales

by Dil Bahra in Glasgow

India's Rupinder Singh in action against Wales

In perfect Indian conditions – hot and humid, India started her Commonwealth Games campaign in Glasgow with a 3 – 1 win over Wales in their Pool A match.  Raghunath gave India the lead with a penalty corner goal in the 20th minute. Wales equalised within 3 minutes through Andrew Cornick.

Rupinder Singh converted a penalty corner early in the second half and 5 minutes later, Gurwinder Singh Chandi increased the India’s lead.

Despite several chances, particularly in the last 7 minutes, India was not able to increase the lead despite their midfield domination. Their play in the last 25 will need to improve in the later stages of the competition. Their finishing was poor.

“The weather conditions really suited us” said Indian Skipper Sardar Singh. “It was good to get this first game over” said Gurwinder Singh Chandi. "There is always tension in the first match" he said.

Sikhs in Hockey

Kenny, Parker hat-trick heroines

Three each for Kenny and Parker as Australia beat Wales 9-0 in Glasgow

Hat-tricks from Queenslander Jodie Kenny and South Australian Georgie Parker helped the Australian women’s hockey team to a 9-0 victory over Wales on day two of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

The result keeps the Australians top of Pool B with nearest rivals England enjoying a rest day while hosts Scotland beat Malaysia 2-0 to draw level with England in second place.

Kenny’s first half hat-trick was the catalyst for a storming Australian victory that also featured strikes from Emily Smith, Brooke Peris and Georgia Nanscawen.

Two goals in as many minutes from Kenny and Parker set the tempo with Kenny flicking Australia’s fifth penalty corner narrowly inside the right hand post in the 12th minute. Parker swept home two minutes later after Anna Flanagan’s double effort from the corner had been denied.

Kenny’s second, her 60th goal for Australia, made it 3-0 and within four minutes she’d completed her hat-trick, sandwiching Emily Smith’s near post strike to stretch the lead to five at the break.

In searing heat the second half began as the first half had with an early goal. This time it came from the stick of Brooke Peris, who stole in behind the Welsh goalkeeper Victoria Male to guide home Emily Smith’s shot, which might have found its way without Peris’ touch.

Five minutes later Georgie Parker’s second goal, her 20th in the green and gold, made it 7-0 with the predominantly Wales-supporting crowd roaring in delight as she cut in from the right to rifle home a stunning reverse stick strike. And she completed her hat-trick shortly afterwards with a deft deflection on Jayde Taylor’s long pass.

Georgia Nanscawen completed the scoring with still a quarter of the match remaining while Wales were awarded a late opportunity for a consolation goal with a penalty corner, which was well saved by Rachael Lynch in the Australian goal.

Speaking afterwards, Jodie Kenny said of her goals, “It’s such good teamwork from the girls. It’s brilliant to score this many goals as a defender.”

Her fellow hat-trick heroine, Georgie Parker added, “I’ve not had a hat-trick in a while and they were good team goals, which makes it more special.”

Looking ahead to Sunday’s match against the hosts, Scotland, Kenny said, “It’s just about looking to improve coming into the next game. You can’t take anyone lightly here, every game is going to be tough.”

Parker added, “Playing against the home nation, it’s going to be a great atmosphere.”

Adelaide-born midfielder Jane Claxton made her 50th appearance for Australia in the match.

Australia takes on Scotland in the third of their four Pool B matches at 9am BST (6pm AEST / 4pm AWST) on Sunday. Scotland won their opening match of the tournament against Malaysia on Friday.

Australia (w) v Wales
Pool B
Commonwealth Games, Glasgow
Jodie Kenny 12, 22, 26 (PC, PC, PC)
Georgie Parker 14, 45, 50 (PC, FG, FG)
Emily Smith 25 (FG)
Brooke Peris 40 (FG)
Georgia Nanscawen 53 (FG)

WALES 0 (0)

Australian squad v Wales
Starting XI
Madonna Blyth (Brisbane, QLD) 288/65
Edwina Bone (Evatt, ACT) 49/2
Jane Claxton (Adelaide, SA) 50/5
Casey Eastham (South Coast, NSW) 212/44
Anna Flanagan (Canberra, ACT) 133/30
Jodie Kenny (Wamuran, QLD) 115/61
Rachael Lynch (Melbourne, VIC) 112/0
Georgie Parker (Berri, SA) 65/21
Emily Smith (Crookwell, NSW) 95/38
Jayde Taylor (Bunbury, WA) 103/2
Kellie White (Crookwell, NSW) 85/27

Used Substitute
Kate Jenner (Tamworth, NSW) 104/1
Karri McMahon (Berri, SA) 48/4
Georgia Nanscawen (Melbourne, VIC) 133/24
Ashleigh Nelson (Wagin, WA) 156/61
Brooke Peris (Darwin, NT) 31/8

Hockey Australia media release

Big win for Women in Glasgow

The New Zealand Women’s hockey team have romped to a 14-0 victory against Trinidad and Tobago in their first match of the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

The game was never in any doubt - the Kiwis piled on the goals early on, Krystal Forgesson scored four times, they were 7-0 up at half time and had 47 attempts on goal - but head coach Mark Hager has made it clear that regardless of a high score the team need to improve their performance with tougher games ahead.

New Zealand were awarded 12 penalty corners, compared to Trinidad and Tobago’s one attempt, and it is the conversion rate that Hager said the team will be working on.

“For the amount of penalty corners we got I thought we were poor at executing those, if we are going to get that many, we need to be able to convert them. The good news is it’s three points and we just need to build on it, and get better and learn from it,” said Hager.

New Zealand are ranked top of their pool, and will now face India, South Africa and Canada, needing a top two finish in pool play to progress to the semi-finals.

“India will be tough, they had a good win against Canada and they always play well at a Commonwealth Games and to be honest if we don’t lift our game then we are going to be under pressure. For that game we need to be more clinical, treasure the ball, and just make better decisions when we pass and go forward,” said Hager.

Anita Punt, Emily Naylor, Forgesson and Rosie Keddell scored within the first ten minutes, and then Sophie Cocks, Katie Glynn and captain Kayla Whitelock converted a penalty corner taking the half time score to 7-0. In the second half, Forgesson bagged three more, Punt converted a penalty corner, Glynn scored a double to claim a hat-trick and Petrea Webster got her first of the night.

A presentation was made at the start of the game for 20-year-old Rosie Keddell who was playing her 50th international test tonight after debuting in 2012.

The NZ Women play their next game against India at 3am on Monday 28 July, while the New Zealand Men are up against Trinidad and Tobago next at 8pm tonight (Saturday 26 July, NZ time).

Photo caption: 50th international test cap Rosie Keddell in action in today’s match at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre. photosport.co.nz

Full time: 14-0
Half time: 7-0
NZ goal scorers: Anita Punt x2, Emily Naylor, Krystal Forgesson x4, Rose Keddell, Sophie Cocks, Katie Glynn x3, Kayla Whitelock, Petrea Webster. Four penalty corners, 10 field goals.

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Black Sticks thrash Trinidad and Tobago


The women's Black Sticks have annihilated Trinidad and Tobago by a whopping 14-0 in their opening pool match of the Commonwealth Games hockey tournament.

In a total mismatch, which was well over as a contest by half-time with the score already at 7-0, a raft on Kiwis got on the scoresheet in what was more like a training run than a competitive game.

Krystal Forgesson scored four goals from open play while field goals also went to Petrea Webster, Kayla Whitelock, Anita Punt, Emily Naylor, Katie Glynn (2) and Rose Keddell.

Punt, Glynn and Sophie Cocks also dispatched penalty corners.

About the only positive the Trinidad and Tobago team can extract from the match is they conceded two goals less against the Kiwis than they did against South Africa yesterday.

Mark Hager's side are ranked fourth in the world and will count anything but a decent tilt at the gold medals as a failure.

Raining in a total of 48 shots on the goal, the result puts New Zealand second in their group behind South Africa, and ahead of India, on goal differential.

The New Zealand women's team play India next, Monday 3am (NZT).


Black Sticks cruise in opener

Anita Punt scored a double while Krystal Forgesson netted four times. Photo / HB Today

The New Zealand women's hockey team have eased into their Commonwealth Games campaign with a 14-0 thrashing of minnows Trinidad and Tobago in Glasgow this morning.

The 2010 silver medalists, ranked fourth in the world, were never in danger of suffering an shock upset after scoring four goals in the opening seven minutes before taking a 7-0 lead into the break.

Krystal Forgesson scored four times, Katie Glynn managed a hat trick, Anita Punt bagged a double while Kayla Whitelock, Petrea Webster, Emily Naylor, Rose Keddell and Sophie Cocks all got on the scoresheet.

New Zealand finished the match with a staggering 47 shots on goal while Trinidad and Tobago managed just two.

It was Trinidad and Tobago's, ranked 31 in the world, second big defeat of the Games after a 16-0 loss to South Africa yesterday - taking their goals against to 30 from just two games.

They conceded 36 goals during pool play at the last Commonwealth Games before claiming ninth in the 10-team tournament.

New Zealand next play India on Monday NZT.

The New Zealand Herald

Canadian women lose another close game to higher ranked South Africa

Yan Huckendubler

The Canadian women lost another close game tonight at the Commonwealth Games, this time against South Africa (2-0), after staying level with their more experienced opponents until late in second period.

After their close opening match against India, the Canadians were up against South Africa, ranked 11th in the world. The South Africans were on a positive momentum, having finished 9th at the recent World Cup, and having opened their 2014 Commonwealth campaign with a… 16-0 crushing of Trinidad & Tobago.

The opening stage of the match was rather balanced, but South Africa made the most of their opportunities, forcing Kaitlyn Williams to stand tall in goal in the 5th minute to deflect a shot from close range.

South Africa were circulating the ball fluidly in the backfield, forcing the Canadian to run permanently after them. The Canadian defence was holding well around Danielle Hennig, but Williams was kept busy in goal while the South African goal-keeper was hardly seeing any action. She was however in danger after a long run by Poonan Sandhu, who ran fifty meters through the South African defence and nearly found Brienne Stairs in the traffic in front of goal.

This action boosted the Canadians and their counter-attacks became bolder, well supported by the local crowd cheering loudly for them. They could however not create real danger in the circle and the half-time break was reached on a goalless score, and the general impression that the match could switch either way on a detail.

Canada survived a yellow card to a defender at the beginning of second period, but South Africa finally opened the scoring in the 52nd minute by veteran Dirkie Chamberlain, from a scramble in front of the goal that left the Canadian defence confused. Chamberlain scored again in similar circumstances three minutes later, consolidating her position as top scorer of this competition.

These two goals in quick succession seemed to take the wind out of the Canadian sails and they could not generate enough efficient danger to close the gap before the final whistle.

The Canadian team now have a day to rest before playing their Pan American rivals Trinidad & Tobago on Sunday (2:00pm).

Field Hockey Canada media release

Wyllie double ensures opening win for Scotland Women

Scotland's Ailsa Wyllie, seen here in action against England, scored twice against Malaysia. Photo Credit: Ady Kerry

Two goals from striker Ailsa Wyllie gave Team Scotland a 2-0 win over Malaysia in Pool B of the Women’s Hockey competition in baking sunshine at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre.

The Dundee-born forward volleyed home a field goal nine minutes before half-time, before taking advantage of a poor defensive clearance to prod home from close range early into the second half.

The Scots, who sit third in the pool after today’s win, produced a dominant display in front of an enthusiastic home crowd, with Head Coach Gordon Shepherd pleased with his side’s performance, “Very happy with the performance, I thought the girls applied themselves for the whole seventy minutes.

“The concentration levels were immense, you can’t afford to give teams any opportunities and I think our keeper only had one touch in the whole game, and that comes down to the concentration of our defence.

“I thought we put real pressure on their back line, we got two nice goals and we could have scored a few more. We had plenty corners, they didn’t quite come off today a real positive display and something to build on for the tournament.”

Scotland Captain Linda Clement added, “It felt brilliant out there, the crowd was phenomenal.

“We concentrated hard and we got the result and the performance. We had a little taster of what the home crowd would be like in the Champions Challenge held in April but today was even better, the crowd was brilliant.

“Lots of positives to take from today, we had a lot of possession and many penalty corners so we will be looking to take our opportunities and improve our game going into the second game.”

The game burst into life after only five minutes, with Malaysian goalkeeper Siti Noor Hafiza Zainordin denying shots from both Nikki Kidd and Alisa Wyllie, before Sarah Robertson nly just missed out on connecting with Kidd’s cross inside the circle.

Zainordin was called into action only four minutes later, smothering the ball against the attentions of Ali Bell’s advances.

Captain Linda Clement had two chances before Scotland were awarded their first penalty corner in the 13th minute. The set play was worked from Susan McGilveray to Clement, whose shot wasn’t cleared but Wyllie couldn’t get enough behind the ball to trouble Zainordin.

Vice-captain Cat Ralph was next to try her luck from a penalty corner, but the Malaysian defence was quick to her shot and the danger was cleared from the circle.

However, the home side finally earned the breakthrough in the 26th minute. A Ralph shot was deflected into the path of Leigh Fawcett, whose strike was parried by Zainordin, only for Wylle to reach first and thump the ball home with a volley for the opening goal.

Kidd almost made it 2-0 just before half-time, but again Zainordin was alive to repel the Canterbury midfielder’s attempt from a penalty corner.

The national side were not to be denied their second goal for much longer, and the doubled their lead five minutes into the second half.

Kidd found Nikki Lloyd in space on the right, who fed the ball to Wyllie. The Grove Menzeshill striker’s first attempt at a cross was blocked by Zainordin, but Wyllie was able to outstretch a stick and batter the ball into the goal.

Malaysia’s first real shot on goal was registered in the 41st minute, Nuriani Rashid Abdul’s effort being easily blocked by Scotland goalkeeper Amy Gibson.

Three penalty corners were awarded in quick succession to Scotland in the 45th minute, Vikki Bunce being denied from the first two set-plays before Aileen Davis found no way past the dominant Zainordin.

A third goal almost came in the 49th minute, with Wyllie and Bell both just missing out as Scotland turned the screw.

Kidd saw her penalty attempt just flash wide of the post in the only other goal-mouth action before full-time.

Australia provide Scotland with their next challenge on Sunday, but Shepherd’s priority was ensuring his players cooled off after a match in the baking sunshine,

“First and foremost, it’s about recovery for the players”, said Shepherd. “They put in a touch shift out there. As much as they are a very fit group, they need to recover. We already have a plan in place for Australia and we’ll go over a few things tomorrow in a light training session. We will go out to try and win that game on Sunday.”

Team Scotland: Amy Gibson, Vikki Bunce, Morag McLellan, Ali Bell, Becky Ward, Cat Ralph, Sarah Robertson, Linda Clement (c), Ailsa Wyllie, Leigh Fawcett, Nikki Kidd, Susan McGilveray, Nikki Llloyd, Nicki Skrastin, Emily Maguire, Aileen Davis.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Malaysian women go down to hosts for second defeat

GLASGOW: In A match where Malaysia had only one chance and Scotland had 22, the only surprise was that the Commonwealth Games hosts ended winning just 2-0 in this Group B match at the Glasgow National Hockey Stadium.

Just like how they lost 4-0 to Australia on Thursday, yesterday’s loss was due to defensive errors as well.

It could have been worse against Scotland as Malaysia gave away a total of eight penalty corners. Fortunately for them, the Scots failed to make Malaysia pay for it.

Still, the damage was inflicted by one player – forward Ailsa Wyllie, who scored a goal in each half.

She collected a loose ball in the semi-circle to score from close range in the 26th minute.

The 31-year-old Wyllie was on target again in the 40th minute when she capitalised on a silly error by defender Siti Noor Amarina Ruhani, who failed to clear the ball in the semi-circle.

Wyllie, with 141 international caps to her name, had no problem pushing the ball past goalkeeper Farah Ayuni Yahya.

National coach Mohd Nasihin Nubli was annoyed with his defenders.

“We gave too much room to our opponents to create chances. The defenders also failed to clear the ball fast enough from inside the semi-circle,” said Nasihin.

“The forwards were also a letdown as they only earned one penalty corner … and they wasted that chance.”

Malaysia's play England next tomorrow and wrap up their fixtures against Wales on July 30.

The Star of Malaysia

National hockey squad banking on Mohd Shahril for goals

By Aftar Singh

GLASGOW: The Malaysian hockey squad will be hoping that forward Mohd Shahril Saabah hit a purple patch when they open their campaign on Saturday.

Malaysia will face Canada in their opening Group B match at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre.

The 20-year-old scored three goals to help Malaysia finish a creditable fourth in the Junior World Cup in New Delhi last December.

Then, in the senior World Cup in The Hague last month, he fired blanks and Malaysia lost all six matches to finish last among 12 teams.

So, obviously the challenge now is for Shahril to deliver the goods in Glasgow, especially since the country’s two key forwards – Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin and Faizal Saari – are being rested after playing in three tournaments.

Shahril, who will be making his Commonwealth Games debut, admitted that the pressure is on him to be among the goal scorers after his poor outing in The Hague.

“The coach (K. Dharmaraj) has placed his faith in me despite my disappointing performance in the World Cup,” he said.

“That’s why I promise I will score in the Commonwealth Games … not just to redeem our battered pride but also to regain my confidence and show my scoring ability.”

Dharmaraj has retained just six players from the World Cup squad and included some inexperienced players for the Games.

Shahril said it would do the team a world of good if they can get off to a winning start against Canada.

“It will definitely boost our confidence and pride,” he said.

“We beat Canada (3-1) in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Ipoh in March … so we can get the better of them again.

“But let’s not kid ourselves … it’s not going to be easy as Canada gave a strong challenge to New Zealand before going down 3-1 (in their earlier group match).”

Apart from Shahril, the other forwards in the team are S. Selvaraju, Mohd Baharom Rosli, Izwan Firdaus and Norhizzat Sumantri.

Dharmaraj will also be banking on penalty corner specialist Mohd Razie Abdul Rahim, who scored three goals in the World Cup, to bang in the goals.

Malaysia’s other group matches are against England on Monday, Trinidad and Tobago (July 29) and New Zealand (July 31).

The Star of Malaysia

Aussies eager to start

Australian men set to finally get Commonwealth campaign underway against Wales

Australia’s Eddie Ockenden and his teammates cannot wait to finally get their Commonwealth Games campaign underway having had to wait two full days before they take to the turf against Wales on Saturday. 

Less than six weeks ago, under now departed Head Coach Ric Charlesworth, Ockenden was lifting the World Cup for the second time. The 27 year-old Tasmanian says the Aussie men are fully aware of what that result [6-1 over Netherlands] did for expectations going into Glasgow and they’re looking to embrace the ‘favourites’ tag.

“To come in as favourites, it’s better than not being favourites,” said Ockenden in the team’s pre-Games press conference this week.

“There’s obvious pressures that we have to deal with and the Australian public expect us to win as well so it’s [expectation] there. I think we can notice it, realise it and not really think about it after that.

“It’s exciting for us to come off such a good World Cup win,” he added. “It’s been a funny month. We had the World Cup, which we won a month ago, and then a little break and then another big build-up for another big championship.”

Wales will provide Australia’s first opposition. The Welsh are the lowest ranked team in the competition but gave India a run for their money on Friday morning, eventually going down 3-1 having been level at the break.

2014 marks Wales’ first appearance at the Commonwealth Games since 2002, having failed to qualify for the Games in Melbourne and Delhi in 2006 and 2010.

On their last outing, in Manchester, they came seventh and such has been the passage of time that only one of their 16-man squad for Glasgow has previous Games experience.

Nairobi-born Huw Jones, the brother of head coach Zak, was in Wales’ squad in Manchester playing alongside Zak. They’re not the only brothers involved this time around, however, with siblings James and Daniel Kyriakides lining up together. 

In the first tournament of the post-Charlesworth era, Paul Gaudoin and Graham Reid will jointly take charge of the Australian team in Glasgow but captain Mark Knowles says that he doesn’t believe it will affect the team going into the Games.

“In terms of them being the two coaches, I don’t think it’s going to be much different for us,” he said.

“They’ve been the main assistants for six years with Ric and our structure - our way of play - will be the same. [There’s] Just a slightly different voice from the top, so I think so far it’s been good; the different ways they approach training, a little bit fresh with different drills that they both like to do. So for us as players we just get on board with whatever the coaches say and we have such strong drive from within the group as well.  For me as a player it’s not an issue and certainly we have the full respect of those two guys, which is great.”

Hockey Australia media release

David Jameson reflects on international career and 200th match for Canada

Shaheed Devji

Canadian David Jameson played almost every sport growing up. And he was good at almost all of them.

Back then, chance was whichever sport he ended up picking, in it he would be destined to have a long and accomplished career. The work ethic was there, and so was the above-average athletic ability.

And while he was a good baseball player, and had quite a good hand in racquet sports, there’s really no surprise Jameson chose field hockey.

“I got into because my mom played for Canada back in the seventies,” Jameson told fieldhockey.ca prior to his departure for Glasgow and the 2014 Commonwealth Games. “All of my siblings got into it pretty easily.”

And as fate would have it, illustrious is exactly what his career has turned out to be.

Now, at 29, more than twenty years after he began playing the sport, he is set to play in his 200th international match for Canada when he and his teammates take to the field against Malaysia on Saturday at the Games in Glasgow.

“When they were babies they were in their strollers on the sidelines,” said Sue Jameson, David’s mother, who represented Canada internationally as a field hockey player from 1973-1979.

Shortly after she retired from international play, Stephanie (David’s older sister) and David were born.

Sue was off the international stage, but field hockey remained a big part of her life and as a result theirs.

“As they got a bit older they were on the sideline playing with kids of my teammates,” she added. “So they were definitely exposed to it right from the get go.”

Starting with the Vancouver Hawks Field Hockey Club before he was even ten, the sport has always been something Jameson has played, but it was not until his teens when he started to make it his main priority.

“At about thirteen, the way baseball was going it wasn’t really working out for me so I turned my focus to field hockey,” said Jameson reflecting on his earliest sporting escapades.

After that, it didn’t take long for his name to rise to the highest levels of field hockey in this country.

“I started (on the National level) when I was eighteen,” he said. “I went to a couple National Championships playing for B.C. and Gene Muller (Canadian National scout and former National Team coach) and Louis Mendonca kind of picked me out. They liked what they saw early on.”

It didn’t take long for former Men’s National Team head coach Louis Mendonca to realize Jameson possessed something special.

“I think his intelligence, his leading, his running away from the ball is what attracted me to him,” said Mendonca, who now coaches the Men’s Indoor National Team which is headed to the 2015 Indoor World Cup in Germany next February. “Even though he was young it was quite impressive.”

But it wasn’t his athletic pedigree, rather his attitude that impressed Mendonca most about Jameson over the years he coached the Vancouver native.

“D.J. has been a very hard working player,” said Mendonca. “I think he’s done everything a coach has always asked him to do.”

And that has afforded Jameson some unique and memorable international experiences as a field hockey player.

“The one that sticks out for me the most is our gold medal winning performance at the 2007 Pan American Games,” he said, thinking back through his near 200 matches for Canada. “Playing in that tournament and with that team, and being a part of that final was amazing.”

“It just made me want to keep going and achieve even more than what I already had.”

So he did.

Jameson went on to represent Canada at field hockey’s most celebrated tournament, the World Cup in 2010 in Delhi, India. In that same year he played in his second Commonwealth Games, also in Delhi, after playing in his first in Melbourne in 2006.

Having competed at the highest level made Jameson a better player and is undoubtedly why he has been able to sustain his career for so long. But it has also made him realize the size and scope of what he has been able to accomplish.

“You know it’s a worldwide sport,” he said. “But (playing in Canada) you don’t really realize how big it is in other parts of the world.”

That’s until you travel the world playing the sport, play against the world’s best, and become one of them. Jameson has done just that.

Now, as he takes part in his third Commonwealth Games, he does so with a monumental achievement in front of him.

Jameson is set to become only the eleventh Canadian field hockey player – male or female – ever to play 200 games. His mother didn’t do it. And neither did his sister Stephanie, who played 168 matches for the Women’s National Team before retiring in 2012, and is in Glasgow to take in her little brother’s big game.

“It’s not just another game,” Jameson admitted when asked about the meaning of his 200th match. “It’s a fairly big milestone, not just in Canadian hockey but for any international player.”

“It’s a lot of games. It’s been the last twelve years of my life, so it means a lot.”

His mother is equally as proud.

“He’s worked hard,” she said from Vancouver. “You never know how long they’re going to keep at it and how long they’re going to be selected.”

In her son’s case, it has been a long time. But don’t count on him packing his turf-boots just yet. David has eyes on yet another prize.

“Moving forward the Olympics is the one that’s eluded me,” he said when asked of his future goals. “It’s the biggest goal that I’ve always had and it still remains that before my career is done.”

It would be just one more feather in the cap, for someone who has plenty to be proud of already.

Field Hockey Canada media release

U.S. Men’s National Team Closes out Chile Competitions Undefeated

CHULA VISTA, Calif. – After six games over the course of eight days, the U.S. Men’s National Team closed out their series against Chile earlier today at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif. Team USA battled through to earn a tie and remain undefeated in play against their South American opponent.

The red, white and blue got on the scoreboard first when Tyler Sundeen (Simi Valley, Calif.) netted a goal in the 19th minute. Just four minutes later, Alex Grassi (Brookeville, Md.) earned a score of his own to put the U.S. up 2-0. The score held through until the 53rd minute when Chile answered back, making the score 2-1. With only a few minutes left in the match, Chile was able to tie the match on a penalty corner, forcing a 2-2 draw at the final whistle.

“Undefeated in six games is a difficult task for any team,” said Head Coach Chris Clements. “We gained a lot of experience this week. The players developed a greater sense of resilience and perseverance with their play against a higher ranked side and to play the way we did with a new group is encouraging.”

The U.S. Men’s National Team will move into a training and recovery week before they begin another series against Mexico, August 2. Mexico matches are set to begin at 10:45 a.m. PDT.

USFHA media release

England U21 men lose to Netherlands

England U21 Men v Netherlands, July 25 2014, David Goodfield - credit Frank Uijlenbroek

England Under-21 Men lost out 2-1 to the Netherlands in the semi final of the EuroHockey Junior Nations Championships in Belgium on Friday evening, and will play-off for bronze in their final match on Saturday afternoon.

Cannock ace Arjan Drayton Chana’s early goal in the second half gave England hope as they pulled level with their rivals, but a goal seven minutes from the end edged the men in orange ahead, and England could not find a way back.

Head Coach Jon Bleby said: “We made an excellent effort and came out on the wrong end of it. Now we’ve got to pick ourselves up and prepare to go out and win a bronze medal, which will make us the first Under-21 team to win a medal since 1998.”

Tom Hiebendaal gave the Netherlands the early lead from open play after just one minute after deflecting in the ball following a melee at the top of the circle.

But England battled on and the rest of the first half saw strong counter attacks from the Netherlands matched by strong defence from England.

England came out for the second half aiming to be more productive in the circle, and they didn’t have to wait long for the equaliser, Drayton Chana scoring from a good cross by Reading’s Ben Boon, who had proved a thorn in the Netherlands’ side all match.

Boon himself fired just wide on 57 minutes, and a minute later England had a penalty appeal denied by the officials. The tide looked to be turning, but five minutes later the Netherlands struck through Hiebendaal from a penalty stroke, awarded after a foul by the England goalkeeper.

As time ticked down England took off their goalkeeper in favour of a kicking back, but the Netherlands defended strongly to keep them out.

England Hockey Board Media release

Going for gold in Asian Games

By Jugjet Singh

WHILE there is no target for the ongoing Commonwealth Games, the Malaysian men’s hockey team will strive to win gold medal at the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea on Sept 19 to Oct 4.

Malaysia have never won a gold in the Asian Games, and their record is seven bronze and one silver - won in the last Games in Guangzhou where Malaysia lost 2-0 to Pakistan in the final.

Coach K. Dharmaraj plans to take 24 players to Utrecht, the Netherlands on a three-week training and playing tour in August.

“The MHC (Malaysian Hockey Confederation) has been informed about the planned tour, and is trying to finalise the details.

“We will play at least 14 matches against top clubs in Netherlands and I believe it will prepare us better for the Asian Games,” said Dharmaraj.

This will be the first time a centralised stint is held outside the country.

“The Asian Games is a qualifier for the 2016 Rio Olympics and only the winners will gain an automatic berth. We must set gold as our target.

“The plan is to take 24 players to Netherlands where I will select the final players for South Korea.

“And Glasgow (the Commonwealth Games) is important for those who are at the fringe as it will be their last chance to prove themselves and be included in the 24 to the Netherlands.

“We have 30 players in training and 16 will play in the Commonwealth Games, and from the total number, six players face the cut on our return from Glasgow.”

The Commonwealth Games offer no International Hockey Federation ranking points, and Dharmaraj has fielded a mixed team that will find it hard to advance to the semi-finals.

New Straits Times

Semi-finals time & gold medal matches loom on Super Sunday!!

JONATHAN COOK at Hartleyvale

The keenly contested Pool stage of the 12th annual Cape Town Under-18 International Hockey Festival is done and dusted and now it’s time for Super Sunday’s knockout matches in search of silver and gold!

But what a Friday it was, teams searching desperately for the vital goal that meant the difference between a top placing or at least something better than their initial tournament aims.

So many matches to choose from on Friday but I really hit the jackpot with my chosen two.


Match 1 – Girls: Millfield (1) 2 (Olivia Allin PC, Olivia Allin PS) Bellville 0

Millfield had to win, while there was a bit less pressure on Belville, who have surprised one and all with the quality of their play, so this was a massive game for both teams.

Millfield started well, using the outside channels to good effect, but Bellville’s classy captain Lindi Anker took the ball wide right at the other end to earn the first penalty corner of an enthralling match.

The slip-pass saw Nicola Olivier’s powerful shot covered by Millfield captain and goalkeeper Katya Slater. Mieke Nagel then got a shot in but Slater was up for the challenge once again.

At the other end my Player of the match, Tess Hannah, fired off a shot before Hannah Cozens’ inch-perfect pass sliced open the Bellville defence, which could have resulted in the opening goal. A heavy tackle on Rozanne Compion brought Bellville’s second PC and once again the Millfield defence was on board to block the goalshot.

Precise one-touch passing in confined spaces afforded the impressive Holly Jackson the opportunity to fire in a goalshot but the chance went wide. ALL THIS IN THE FIRST 12 MINUTES!

The single-minded desire for victory was palpable from both sides and this hugely competitive contest for supremacy was both skilful and very physical – the latter component great to see in girls’ hockey.

In the 20th minute Cozens fired a fine pass to striker Tania Coxon, who won Millfield’s first PC, and drag-flicker Olivia Allin was on target for the opening goal - as a rainbow emerged from the forbidding clouds (1-0).

In the 28th a weaving run by Allin, eliminating three defenders in the process, earned Millfield another PC but the Belville defenders dealt bravely with the threat.

Turning around 1-0 up, Millfield immediately went onto the attack and Lindsay Reid’s accurate pass saw the Coxon/Milly Bennett combination create their side’s third PC – and the industrious Tess Hannah’s drag-flick was rescued away from the goalline by busy Bellville defender Angelique Truter, who along with Carina Botha had a very good game in tidying up the loose ends at the back.

The respective teams continued to pound their opponents’ defensive third and a Jackson save on the Millfield goalline kept the Bellville girls out in this thrill-a-minute affair, and to compound the Western Cape girls’ disappointment, Allin netted from the penalty spot at the death to wrap up the English girls’ 2-0 win.

Match 2 – Boys: Paul Roos (1) 2 (Pieter Coetzee FG, Michael Wagstaff PC) Kingston Grammar (0) 1 (Ben Park FG)

Kingston Grammar had to win to have a chance of edging Paul Roos for the single semi-final berth available out of Pool C but it was the Stellenbosch lads who started with a bang - Jaco van der Watt and Breda Reed bringing fine saves out from outstanding keeper Abel Lamaj.

In the other strike zone, Paul Roos shot-stopper Johannes Esterhuizen was breathtakingly brilliant with a blinding save before a sudden downpour made quality hockey quite a challenge.

In the 12th minute Andrew Hobson and Ross Campbell connected with final receiver Pieter Coetzee to conjure up a wonder goal that was the perfect reflection of a team working as one.

Turning around 1-0 up, Paul Roos were confounded by Lamaj once again when Wian Stapelberg’s backhand screamer was kept out by the keeper at full stretch to his left, before Kingston’s last line of defence somehow got to a Coetzee deflection from close.

Paul Roos’s Campbell - and Kingston’s Owen Williams - traded goalshots, but the equaliser for the brave Kingston lads came when Ben Park finished beautifully in the 43rd minute (1-1).

Kingston, who were without centre back, drag-flicker and aerial-pass exponent Joe Hughes due to a cracked cartilage behind the right kneecap, as well as Tom Gooding, who lost a tooth in a most unfortunate incident that put him in hospital the day before, were putting up a tremendous challenge against Neville Rothman’s classy Paul Roos line-up.

It was desperately unfortunate for Kingston when Ronan Harvey-Kelly missed a great chance that might have clinched the match but Breda Reed also suffered the misfortune of seeing Lamaj make yet another great save at the other end following a fantastic layoff from Paul Roos playmaker Justin de Nysschen.

The Paul Roos winner came after the final hooter when Michael Wagstaff flicked high into the net after Lamaj had made a tremendous double save.

This match-up was a fantastic advert for schoolboy hockey.



Semi-final 1 (11am): Wynberg vs SACS (Hartleyvale Stadium)
Semi-final 2 (12.15pm): Paul Roos vs Rondebosch (Hartleyvale Stadium)

SUNDAY’S BOYS’ FINAL TIME: 4pm at Hartleyvale Stadium


Semi-final 1 (9.45am): Millfield vs Pearson (Hartleyvale Stadium)
Semi-final 2 (9.45am): Stellenberg vs Springfield Covent (Western Province Cricket Club)

SUNDAY’S GIRLS’ FINAL TIME: 2.45am at Hartleyvale Stadium


The fierceness of the competition on Friday, as players dug deep into the well of willpower and school pride, was a delight to behold. Yet, the sheer physicality, especially noteworthy in the at-times-far-too-genteel, ladylike girls’ hockey; was matched by discipline as far as observing the umpires’ decisions was concerned.

Naturally just a smattering of Friday’s 32 matches at venues scattered all over Cape Town were observed but the ones that were followed closely by this scribe probably give a good indication of the trend.

Well done girls and boys, especially the lasses!


You can follow the action and get the results at #CTIHF2014 as well as the www.teamsports.co.za website, and their Facebook page and at TEAM_Sports_TDM which is the sports travel company’s twitter handle.

This year, each day, the results and logs shall be posted as close as possible to 1pm and 6pm on the website, Facebook page and twitter handle, as well as the day’s video highlights, photos, reports and press releases.

If you would like any other information or if you cannot find results/fixtures or just about anything else, TEAM Sports Travel marketing co-ordinator Kelly Lyttle (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) is happy to assist.


Chris “The Legend” Brothers, the founder, inspirational Festival director and driving force behind this remarkable event produced a magical juggling act in switching matches, swopping venues, finding yet more venues and shifting a single match from one venue (Hartleyvale Stadium) to Westerford High and yet another venue in the University of Cape Town to ensure its completion!

The game started at 12.45pm and was completed at 3.10pm!

Cheers, Chris! What a man!

2014 Cape Town Under-18 International Hockey Festival media release

Learning from hockey

Soccer would benefit if it copied a few rules from the sport

By Eric Weil / Sportsworld

LONDON — I went straight from the Field Hockey World Cups in June to watching soccer’s World Cup which ended this month.

I must be excused for yawning during many of the latter tournament’s matches.

Soccer is still the world’s most popular sport and its slower matches may be easier to report on. However, soccer does risk losing its entertainment value unless its world government body, FIFA, wakes up soon.

Hockey has two referees (more often called umpires) on the field instead of one. Four eyes see more than one and although soccer linesmen, called referee assistants can also intervene by raising their flags, they do not intervene enough. Hockey referees also have technological assistance 25 metres from the goals when teams can appeal to a “video referee” which carefully studies the incident and sees more than the referee. Soccer’s rejection of this tool is that video referee referral sometimes takes time to decide and would interrupt the game too often. Not necessarily if hockey rules are followed. A team has to be sure of its appeal. As long as it goes in its favour, it can appeal again, but if it loses the appeal it does not have another chance during the game.

The soccer linesman’s most important job is to mark off-sides ... and the most controversial one. In hockey, there is no longer any off-side. When it was eliminated some years ago, it was feared that this would produce a spate of goals and just shooting the ball up and down the field, spoiling the game. It never happened. Coaches soon found ways to counteract the lack of “offside.” There may be a few more goals and the game has become more exciting and with less stoppages.

Soccer games are interrupted by long arguments when players surround the referee. Argue with a hockey referee and if he/she does the right thing he/she shows the player a green card (2-minute suspension), a second or more serious offence would bring out a yellow card (5-10 minutes suspension) while more serious offences mean a red card. A sort of sin bin for non-serious offences has often been talked about in soccer circles without result. Even short suspensions would reduce fouls for which soccer players are generally not sent off — or under FIFA orders not to send off in international tournaments.

In hockey, there are rolling substations and play is not stopped as players run off and on the field. This may not be ideal for soccer, but too much time is wasted when substitutions are made. It is good that only three substitutions can be made by each team instead of any number in hockey from seven players on the bench.

Corners take less time in soccer, but only because referees tend to overlook the shoving and holding between defenders and attackers (this is where video would be badly needed). There is a difference in rules so this could not happen in hockey as attackers have to line up outside the circle (penalty area), while defenders stand on the goal line (inside the goal) after putting on safety masks. Hockey has yet to put a time limit on what are called penalty corners.

More important is something which soccer should copy immediately from hockey — the playing time clock. Soccer referees add on minutes at the end of the game for time wasted. One does not know how this is calculated and frequently spectators or coaches disagree.

In hockey, the clock is stopped for penalty corners and when the referee holds up his/her hand when showing a card to a player or when the game is stopped for injuries and protests. At the moment hockey is played in two halves of 35 minutes and the time clock ensures that there is 35 minutes play and no argument. Soccer has two halves of 45 minutes, but it is calculated that there is little more than 30 minutes play.

Hockey this year changes to four periods of 15 minutes each (of actual play) which, its authorities say will make it more interesting, although this is debatable. Really, it favours television which had requested similar breaks from soccer in the past, but now TV has become soccer’s financial God and has imposed several things.

It may soon ask for these breaks again. Hockey is making the change because it is trying to get more TV coverage to spread the popularity of the game.

The Olympic Games mark a controversial difference between the two sports. Hockey is in constant fear of being eliminated from the Olympics and it was a close shave recently.

Soccer, as the world’s most popular sport, has no fears and elimination would not hurt it as much as it would hurt hockey. It is watched by plenty of paying spectators which for the Olympics is a financial advantage. Yet the Olympic Games want the best participants in each sport.

Hockey sends its best teams and players to the Games. Soccer sends U-23 teams, including three players over that age, but many countries do not send their best players and FIFA does not want them to so as to not elevate Olympic soccer to the same category as its World Cup.

At the Hockey World Cups there were officials of the Dutch FA to study hockey rules, but FIFA’s president, Joseph Blatter was always against such radical changes.

A candidate at the forthcoming presidential elections is Frenchman Jerome Champagne who is more in favour of them.

Buenos Aires Herald

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author