Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 02 December 2019

All the news for Monday 2 December 2019

2019 Test matches ARG vs GER (W) - 1st Test
Buenos Aires (ARG)

1 Dec 2019     ARG v GER     3 - 1

FIH Match Centre

ROUND-UP: English Men's Hockey League

Adam Dixon celebrates a hat-trick for Beeston. Credit David Kissman

Hampstead & Westminster boosted their hopes of a play-off spot in the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division with a 2-1 victory at second-placed Wimbledon on Saturday.

Rupert Shipperley gave they away side the lead in the 17th minute from open play before Ben Francis hit back for Wimbledon one minute in to the second half.

Matt Guise Brown found the winner nine minutes from time as Hampstead & Westminster secured a valuable three points.

Surbiton extended their winning run to 11 games as they grabbed a late winner in a 3-2 victory at Holcombe.

Luke Taylor bagged a hat-trick of penalty corner goals while Hayden Phillips and Nicholas Bandurak both found the net for Holcombe.

Elsewhere, Reading and Old Georgians played out a 4-4 draw to both secure a point each on Saturday.

Stuart Loughrey, Charlie Ellison, Max Heaver and Andrew Oxburgh were the goal scorers for Reading while Tom Carson, Matt Richards, James Tindall and Ashley Jackson all found the net for Old Georgians.

Beeston secured three points for the fourth time this season as they won 3-1 at home against Brooklands MU.

Peter Flanagan gave the away side the lead on the stroke of half time from a penalty corner.

The second half saw Adam Dixon find the net three times with all his goals coming from penalty corners.

The University of Exeter versus East Grinstead finished 2-2 with Duncan Scott scoring a brace for the home side while Wesley Jackson and Chris Griffiths both netted for East Grinstead.

Division 1 North

The freezing conditions saw a number of postponements in the Men’s Hockey League Division One North with only two games being played over the weekend.

Olton & West Warwicks secured three points with a 4-0 victory at City of Peterborough.

Adam Edmondstone gave the away side the lead in the second minute before Daniel Sulway, Joshua Green and Tom Mallett scored second half goals to seal the victory.

Elsewhere the University of Birmingham won 3-2 at home against Leeds.

Cuthbert Shepherd (2) and Thomas Thorne were the goal scorers for the home side while Daniel Mills and Harry Lankfer netted for Leeds.

Division 1 South

Oxted maintained their position at the top of the Men’s Hockey League Division One South table after a 7-3 victory at home against Canterbury on Sunday.

Chris Webster, Sam Driver and Matt Brown netted a brace apiece for the home side while Nick Giles scored the seventh.

Louis Ridge (2) and Toby Vaughan were the goal scorers for Canterbury.

Sevenoaks remain only two points adrift at the top of the table after a 4-0 victory at Oxford Hawks on Saturday.

Sam George, Andrew Ross, James Thomas and Edwards Matts were all on the scoresheet for the away side.

Elsewhere, Brighton & Hove won 2-1 at home against Fareham, Havant won 3-1 at home against Teddington and Southgate beat Team Bath Buccaneers 3-2.

Conference North

Timperley closed the gap at the top of the Men’s Hockey League Conference North Table to one point as they won 3-2 at leaders Belper.

Callum Stacey and Chris Beastall scored the goals for Belper while Rob Tinker (2) and Harry Jackson were the ones who netted for the away side.

Elsewhere, Didsbury Northern versus Deeside Ramblers finished 1-1.

Anthony Symondson scored for Didsbury and Ali Ghazanfar claimed Deeside’s goal.

Conference East

Wapping remain top of the table in the Men’s Hockey League Conference East table as they won 2-1 at home against Chichester on Saturday.

Aaron Blumfield netted a second half brace for the home side while Alex Holton scored the only goal for Chichester.

Elsewhere Spencer produced a good performance as they ran out 6-2 victors at Bedford on Sunday.

Andrew O’Hare, Will Devitt, Will Gurney-Champion, Neil Hamilton, Stephen Dowds and Ross Watkins were the goal scorers for the away side. Vincent Pretorius and Lee Hoggett both found the net for Bedford.

Conference West

Richmond produced a good performance to beat Khalsa Leamington 4-0 at home to remain top of the Men’s Hockey League Conference West on Sunday.

James Clark gave the home side an early lead before Jordan Hussell netted two and James Kitcherside slotted in the fourth to secure all three points.

Old Cranleighans ensured the gap at the summit remained only one point as they won 6-0 at home against Cheltenham.

Matt Murphy (2), Louis Wright, Matt Cornwell and Charlie Lamb (2) all found themselves on the scoresheet for the home side.

* Statistics, full scores and tables from the Men's Hockey League are available by clicking here.

England Hockey Board Media release

Town halve the gap to Garvey after incident packed day seven of men’s EYHL

Monkstown closed the gap to two points on Lisnagarvey on a day of high drama; TRR and Banbridge moved up while Corinthian and Pembroke drew on day seven of the men's EYHL

EY Hockey League – day seven round-up

UCD 1 (G Sarratt) Monkstown 2 (R Nichols, D Carson)

Monkstown won an excellent men’s EY Hockey league contest at Belfield to continue their run of form, moving within two points of leaders Lisnagarvey at the winter break. Both sides contributed to the contest with UCD coach Michael Styles frustrated his side could not get more from a tie in which they created plenty of chances.

Town started well and forced a corner within the first two minutes which Max Maguire made a good glove save above his head from a Rory Nichols flick. The students then started to really get into it and they scored from their first corner via Guy Sarratt, one of nine ex-Town men in the UCD side.

The visitors equalised with a corner of their own from Nichols and it remained that way at the break as Matteo Romoli’s bouncing shot was heading wide before hitting Nichols’ knee and flew into the net. It was originally awarded but then chalked off following a consultation.

Davy Carson got the final touch to the only goal of the second half, knocking it in after Jason Lynch’s cross got a great touch from Mark Gibbons. The ball bounced off the post, hit Maguire and then fell to Carson. Town held out for the last 10 minutes without Andrew Fogarty on a yellow card to land their fifth win of the campaign.

It was another fine defensive performance with Keith Kenning excelling at sweeper in place of the unavailable David Cole, making an incredible amount of tackles, while David Nolan was UCD’s driving force in the playmaker role.

“We have teenagers throwing themselves at balls just to touch them over sidelines in the last 10 minutes; the character is really strong in this team at the moment,” Town player-coach Gareth Watkins said of the win to Dublin City FM.

“We have belief we can score and cause trouble going forward so we have trained hard to back that up defensively. We did get off to a slow start but we are growing in confidence each game.”

“It just wasn’t our day,” UCD coach Michael Styles said. “We missed that little something in the last quarter. We held possession for 90% of it – performance-wise, it wasn’t what we were after.”

UCD complete their pre-Christmas schedule on December 14 against Annadale in a refix from last week.

Banbridge 9 (J McKee 4, E Magee, O Magee, P Brown, D Ward, J Wright) Annadale 0

Banbridge inflicted another big defeat on Annadale who slip to four points off the bottom while their Ulster rivals move up fourth place thanks to eight second half goals.

Eugene Magee gave the Havelock Park hosts a seventh minute lead but, despite a wealth of pressure, that was all they could garner in the first half. They soon cut loose in the second half with Owen Magee’s brilliant run and finish opening the floodgates. Jonny McKee reversed through the goalkeeper’s legs for the third and he grabbed his second in the 47th minute and got this second for 4-0  at three quarter time.

In the final quarter, Philip Brown turned in Eugene Magee’s ball at the back post, McKee completed his hat trick and Wright netted the seventh. McKee’s fourth and a sweet Dane Ward finish closed out a comprehensive win.

Three Rock Rovers 4 (M English 2, M Darling, J Walker) YMCA 3 (B Cullen, B Campbell, G Glutz)

Three second half goals saw Three Rock Rovers recover to overhaul YMCA and move up to third in the standings. Ben Cullen, against his former club, gave YM the lead in the sixth minute when he applied a lovely lob over Shane O’Brien.

Mitch Darling levelled at 1-1 with a sliding deflection at the back post but YM restored their lead on the stroke of half-time from a Ben Campbell penalty corner drag-flick. James Walker continued his recent run of goals with a third in seven days when he made it 2-2.

Mark English then scored twice either side of the three-quarter time break, the latter a lovely team goal via Darling and Ross Canning for the striker to finish off at the back post.

Grant Glutz pulled one back with nine minutes to go from another corner drag and they had their moments in the closing stages when Rovers were reduced to 10 men but, crucially, they mistrapped a corner with two minutes left.

Glenanne 4 (J McCormack, A Clayton, C Kennedy, S Brownlow) Lisnagarvey 4 (A Williamson 2, J Lorimer 2)

Leaders Lisnagarvey dropped points for the first time this season despite an incredible comeback from 4-0 down at St Andrew’s against Glenanne. For the Glens, it was a second 4-4 draw in three outings and leaves them in sixth place in the table.

Johnny McCormack and Adam Clayton gave the Glens a 2-0 lead at the end of the first quarter and the returning Clive Kennedy stretched the lead out to three. Stephen Brownlow had the hosts in dreamland with a penalty corner finish.

It put Garvey in unchartered waters this season but they had one back before half-time via Andy Williamson and a penalty corner from James Lorimer soon after the break helped build the momentum.

Williamson snagged his second with 16 minutes to go and Lorimer landed his brace to make it 4-4, ensuring a nervous final four minutes for the Glens to negotiate.

Corinthian 1 (I Stewart) Pembroke 1 (A Sothern)

Ian Stewart earned Corinthian their fourth draw from seven outings from a well-matched battle at Whitechurch Park, putting the reds in seventh place for the Christmas break with Pembroke remaining in ninth.

In a scoreless first half, the visitors had more of the ball, forcing Euan Mackay to make the first of a series of important saves between the Corinthian posts. The hosts existed primarily on the counter, hitting the post on a couple of occasions while Simon Thornton also impressed in the Pembroke goal.

Monkstown’s Davy Carson on the attack. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Pembroke did take the lead in the second half after a couple of Nick Burns’ drag-flicks were charged down before Alan Sothern, at his second attempt, picked out the bottom corner on the stick side for 1-0.

Sothern had the chance to make it 2-0 from a penalty stroke but Mackay made a big save to keep Corinthian in the contest and the game started to go their way when Scott Sullivan was shown a ten-minute yellow card for a foul on the breaking Peter Caruth.

It allowed the hosts their most sustained period of pressure. Andy Colton charged down a few of their corners. Stewart had a goal initially awarded and then annulled when a sideline ball was deemed to have entered the circle directly from the free. The striker, though, got his goal in the 69th minute from a corner breakdown to earn their point.

The Hook

Pembroke and Pegasus set pace in women’s EYHL

Pegasus race back to the halfway line after their first goal. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Pembroke and Pegasus continue to set the pace in the women’s EY Hockey League following their fourth wins from five outings thus far in the elite competition.

Women’s EY Hockey League – day seven round-up

UCD 2 (N Carey, S Young) Pegasus 3 (A Speers 2, N McIvor)

Pegasus came back from 2-0 down inside the first 17 minutes to maintain their place in a share of the lead at the head of the women’s EY Hockey League. UCD were without Lena Tice after nasal surgery but had Orla Patton back in the line-up and they got off to a great start courtesy of Amy Elliott’s lovely slip-pass to the prolific Niamh Carey who made no mistake in the fourth minute.

Ellen Curran’s crash ball was converted by Sarah Young to double their lead in the 17th minute. Pegasus, though, were looking dangerous – in spite of the absence of Michelle Harvey with an ankle injury – and were on the board in the 22nd minute via Alex Speers. They were level when Shirley McCay’s aerial was not dealt with and Speers was again in position to cash in for 2-2, scoring past Laura Gunning.

And Niamh McIvor completed the comeback early in the second half, the teenager scoring the winner for the second time in her short career with Pegs. From there, UCD camped in the Ulster side’s half for long periods but they could not find the vital strike.

Muckross 4 (A O’Flanagan, S Barnwell, N Keegan, J McGirr) Cork Harlequins 2 (E Barber 2)

Muckross won a ding-dong battle with Cork Harlequins for their first three-pointer of the women’s EY Hockey League with two goals in the last five minutes making the difference.

Anna O’Flanagan netted her fourth goal of the season to make it 1-0 in the 16th minute but Harlequins equalised from their first penalty corner with Emma Barber striking from the top for 1-1 at half-time.

Jessica McGirr got her first goal since her summer move from Loreto with a corner deflection to restore the Donnybrook side’s lead but Barber fired home another corner to level at 2-2 going into the final quarter.

But a 65th minute penalty stroke was converted by Sophie Barnwell to give Muckross the lead for the third time. And they made extra sure in the last seconds, countering from a defensive corner with Jane O’Brien playing in Nikki Keegan to make it 4-2.

Pembroke 2 (O Macken, S Loughran) Belfast Harlequins 1 (J Watt)

Pembroke continued their excellent start to the season with a fourth win from five outings, edging out Belfast Harlequins at Serpentine Avenue as Gillian Pinder made her first appearance of the season.

They went 1-0 up in the second quarter after a quick restart from Aisling Naughton who laid it through for Sinead Loughran who drove into the circle and slotted past Marianne Fox. Jenna Watt levelled within five minutes for 1-1 at half-time.

Pembroke went clear courtesy of Orla Macken’s powerful penalty corner strike which went through the goalkeeper’s legs with 27 minutes to go and while they had a few more chances to make the game safe – with Leah McGuire and Emily Beatty impressive – they had enough to get over the line.

Railway Union 2 (N Shaw, L Lloyd) Catholic Institute 1 (A Hickey)

Riona Norton’s second penalty stroke save of the season ultimately saw Railway Union hold on for their second win of the season, beating Catholic Institute 2-1. Insta were the side on top of an end-to-end first half with Leah Clery drawing a great save from Norton before Aoife Hickey guided in the first penalty corner of the match for a 1-0 lead.

Niamh Shaw equalised when she swept home from a break-out corner for Railway and it remained 1-1 half-time. Railway turned the tide of momentum in the second half with Sarah Hawkshaw getting the best out of goalkeeper Miriam O’Callaghan from the pick of the chances.

It became 2-1 just before the end of the third quarter when Lily Lloyd produced some individual magic after she was set free by Hannah de Burgh Whyte. She waltzed past a couple of players before finishing on her reverse.

The Limerick side fought back to win a corner that was improved to being a stroke but Rosie Pratt’s shot from the spot was denied by the home goalkeeper.

Old Alexandra 1 (D Duke) Loreto 3 (S Torrans 2, J Meeke)

Loreto continued their strong run of form as they ran up a 3-1 win over Old Alex, moving above the Milltown side in third place as a result.

Sarah Torrans opened the scoring inside the first minute and she had her second with barely five minutes on the clock to give Loreto a buffer they would never relinquish. Jessica Meeke extended the advantage to 3-0 in the second quarter with Deirdre Duke only getting one back in the closing stages.

The Hook

Pegasus stage comeback to stun UCD in Hockey League

Reigning champions’ victory keeps pressure on league leaders Pembroke Wanderers

Mary Hannigan

Pegasus’s Shirley McCay in action for Ireland. McCay was key to her club’s comeback against UCD. Photograph: Inpho
They may have lost a few players from last season’s all-conquering squad, either through retirement or maternity leave, and they’ve had to try and bed in a bunch of youngsters in this year’s panel, but one thing that hasn’t changed about reigning Hockey League champions Pegasus is their habit of never knowing when they’re beaten. They displayed that trait once again on Saturday when they came from two goals down to beat UCD 3-2 at Belfield.

The students looked all set for their third win in a row, while inflicting on Pegasus their second successive defeat following their loss to Loreto the week before, when Niamh Carey and Sarah Young converted early chances set up for them by, respectively, Amy Elliott and Ellen Curran.

But Pegasus were level by half-time, Ireland stalwart Shirley McCay the driving force behind their comeback, and they were 3-2 up by the end of the third quarter, an Alex Speers double and the second of the season from Belfast Royal Academy schoolgirl Niamh McIvor turning the game around for the visitors.

Light work

They stay second in the table on goal difference from Pembroke Wanderers who edged past bottom club Belfast Harlequins at Serpentine Avenue, Orla Macken’s goal from a short corner deciding the game after Harlequins’ Jenna Watt had earlier cancelled out Sinead Loughran’s opener. Macken’s score made it five goals in as many games for the Pembroke captain, putting her level with Speers at the top of the goal-scoring list.

Loreto, meanwhile, moved up to third in the table, two points behind the leaders, after they made light work of an Old Alexandra side that had started the season impressively. Two goals from Sarah Torrans, though, and another from Jessica Meeke had them 3-0 up before Deirdre Duke got what proved to be just a consolation score for the home side in the final quarter.

Neither Munster side had any joy on their visits to Dublin, Catholic Institute left especially frustrated having led against Railway Union through Aoife Hickey. But Niamh Shaw levelled for Railway before half-time, Lily Lloyd putting them 2-1 up in the third quarter with a well taken reverse strike, before Institute had a chance to equalise with a penalty stroke with five minutes to go. Riona Norton saved, though, from Rosemary Pratt and Railway held out for their second win of the campaign.

Cork Harlequins, like their Belfast namesakes, are still waiting for their first win of the season after losing 4-2 to Muckross, the first victory of their campaign. Emma Barber twice equalised for Harlequins following goals from Anna O’Flanagan and Jessica McGirr, but final-quarter goals from Sophie Barnwell, who converted a stroke, and Nikki Keegan sealed the points for Muckross.

The Irish Times

Wazalendo stun Police to qualify for Africa Club Championships


Edmond Makona (foreground) of Kenya Police shields the ball from Wazalendo's Kennedy Munialo during their Kenya Hockey Union men Premier League match at City Park Stadium, Nairobi on December 1, 2019. PHOTO | CHRIS OMOLLO |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Wazalendo edged Kenya Police 3-2 win to finish second as the Kenya Hockey Union men Premier League concluded at the City Park Stadium, Nairobi on Sunday.

Wazalendo, who had beaten Police 2-1 in the first leg, got their goals through Danston Barasa, Joseph Kasua and Sutcliffe Usagi to complete a double over their opponents.

Butali Sugar Warriors ensured they won this year's title unbeaten after thrashing Greensharks 4-2 at the same venue. Amos Barkibir helped himself to a hat-trick in the 5th, 40th and 42nd minutes as George Mutira scored in the 25th minute. Chris Wokila netted a brace for Sharks in 29th and 60th minutes.

With the second-place finish behind back-to-back champions Butali, Wazalendo are set to make a return to the Africa Club Championships next year having last qualified in 2007.

Wazalendo coach Fidhelis Kimanzi was elated having improved their ranking by two places from last season where they finished fourth.

“The season has been fairly good but I believe we could have done better. We hope to reinforce the squad as we want to be a force to reckon with. But I’m happy that we finally have the chance to grace the Club Championships and gauge ourselves at the international level,” said Kimanzi.

Police coach Patrick Mugabi cut a dejected figure after they dropped one position from last season to finish third.

“Our plan to score early goals and revert to defence failed and it’s sad we finished third. We are planning to recruit heavily next season and have already begun talks with some players but we can't disclose the names," said Mugambi.

In the match, Wazalendo showed all intentions to win the match and got the better of Police barely two minutes of play when Barasa connected to Isaac Nandukule's pass to easily tap past goalkeeper Martin Agesa.

Wazalendo pinned their opponents in their own half with excellent ball handling skills, good runs that eventually bore another fantastic field goal in the 24th minute through Kasua.

Police looked out sorts and took time to settle in the game. Moses Cheplaiti's penalty corner was saved by Wazalendo keeper Bright Kezengwa on the brink of half-time to sum up a poor first half from Police.

Wazalendo picked from where they left in the second half but they were constantly denied by Agesa. Police then regrouped and got a lifeline through goals from Samuel Oungo and Titus Kimutai in the 53rd and 55th minutes respectively. But it's Wazalendo who had the last laugh thanks to Usagi's goal.

In an earlier women Premier League match played at the same venue, Lakers finished fourth with 21 points after handing Amira Sailors their second loss of the weekend. Sailors, who finished fifth with 20 points, had gone down 2-0 to Strathmore University's Scorpions on Saturday.

Daily Nation

Scottish Hockey Celebrates Year of Success at Annual Awards

Scotland women win Team of the Year 2019 – photo by Mark Pugh

A golden duo, repeat winners and a few fresh faces are just some of the features from the list of winners at this year’s Scottish Hockey Awards.

Ten individuals were honoured as Player of the Year from various age groups at the 2019 awards ceremony held on November 30 at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre. Accolades were also handed out to the country’s top male and female officials, while the Senior Women’s squad secured the coveted title of Team of the Year.

Surrey-based hockey ace Andy Bull was named Player of the Year among Scotland’s Senior Men, while Western Wildcats player-coach Kaz Cuthbert was voted Scotland Senior Women Player of the Year.

Andy made his debut on the Scotland squad earlier this year, having been deemed eligible by virtue of his Scottish grandparents. The 27-year-old full back currently plays for Old Georgians HC in Addlestone, and has a wealth of experience in some of the top leagues abroad with stints in Belgium, Amsterdam and Australia.

Kaz skippered Scotland in the Women’s EuroHockey II Championship held earlier this year in Glasgow, a tournament which the host nation won to secure a place in the top flight of European competition. In addition to her success at national level, the 31-year-old led Wildcats ladies to victory in the Grand Final in April to qualify for Europe for the first time in the club’s history.

Umpires Martin Madden and Sarah Wilson were both repeat winners in the male and female categories of Official of the Year, which was judged by the International Appointments Panel. Both have been appointed to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games following appearances at the finals of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games for Martin and the European Championships for Sarah.

It was double success for brothers Jamie and Cammy Golden, who were named Player of the Year for Scotland U18 Boys and Scotland U21 Men respectively.

A set piece expert with drag flicks and short corners, midfielder Jamie was a member of the GB U21s who defeated India 2-1 in Malaysia to successfully retain the Sultan of Johor Cup. Cammy, who is currently based in the Netherlands, has also played for Team GB and was a member of Scotland’s U21 gold medal EuroHockey Championship team.

Scotland’s Senior Women were named Team of the Year, as decided by a combination of public vote and expert panel. Fending off competition from Scotland U21 Women, Scotland U21 Men and the Scotland O45 Men’s squads, the Senior Women rode to victory on their successful return to the top division of European competition during their first full year under new head coach Jen Wilson.

Scottish Hockey chief executive David Sweetman said the decision on Team of the Year was a close call, reflecting the breadth of development at elite level.

“It was a great night at the Awards, and an excellent way to wrap up a season that has been successful on so many fronts for the national game,” David said.

“All of the squads nominated for Team of the Year were gold medal winners, and the individual accomplishments of every nominee for Player of the Year are equally impressive. Of course we congratulate all of the winners, but everyone involved should be proud of this year’s achievements.”

The full list of winners is as follows:

Women’s Masters Player of the Year

O55 – Janet Jack

Janet Jack wins Scotland women’s Masters Player of the Year 2019 – photo by Mark Pugh

Men’s Masters Player of the Year

O45 – Paul Dailly

Official of the Year (Male)

Martin Madden

Martin Madden wins Men’s Official of the Year at the Scottish Hockey Awards 2019 – photo by Mark Pugh

Official of the Year (Female)

Sarah Wilson

Sarah Wilson wins Women’s Official of the Year 2019 at the Scottish Hockey Awards 2019, presented by Peter Gillespie – photo by Mark Pugh

Scotland U16 Boys’ Player of the Year

Ali Douglas

Ali Douglas wins U16 Boys’ Player of the Year 2019 – Photo by Mark Pugh

Scotland U16 Girls’ Player of the Year

Ava Smith

Ava Smith (right) won Scotland U16 Girls’ Player of the Year presented by Kaz Cuthnert – photo by Mark Pugh

Scotland U18 Boys’ Player of the Year

Jamie Golden

Scotland U18 Girls’ Player of the Year

Faith Joubert

Faith Joubert won Scotland U18 Girls’ Player of the Year 2019 – photo by Mark Pugh

Scotland U21 Men’s Player of the Year

Cammy Golden

Scotland U21 Women’s Player of the Year

Jess Buchanan

Jess Buchanan won Scotland U21 Women’s Player of the Year 2019 – photo by Mark Pugh

Scotland Senior Women Player of the Year

Kaz Cuthbert

Scotland Senior Men Player of the Year

Andy Bull

Team of the Year

Scotland women win Team of the Year 2019 – photo by Mark Pugh

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author