Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 13 May 2019

All the news for Monday 13 May 2019

2019 FIH Pro League (Women) - 13 May

10 May 2019     USA v AUS (RR)     0 - 4     Spooky Nook Sports, Lancaster
12 May 2019    USA v ARG (RR)     0 - 4     Spooky Nook Sports, Lancaster

Unofficial Pool Standings

Rank Team Played Wins Win Draws Loss Draws Losses Goals For Goals Against Goal Difference Points Percent
2 Argentina 12 8 3 0 1 25 10 15 30 83.3
1 Netherlands 8 7 0 0 1 24 4 20 21 87.5
4 Australia 11 6 1 1 3 24 14 10 21 63.6
5 Germany 8 4 0 2 2 16 10 6 14 58.3
3 Belgium 6 4 0 1 1 10 6 4 13 72.2
6 New Zealand 11 4 0 0 7 19 24 -5 12 36.4
8 China 12 3 0 1 8 17 31 -14 10 27.8
7 Great Britain 8 1 2 0 5 10 20 -10 7 29.2
9 United States 12 0 1 2 9 10 36 -26 4 11.1

The FIH inexplicably and confusingly use a system not used in any other sports League in the World, of making the Percentage more important than Points until the end of the League when they will revert to Points only. Fieldhockey.com prefers to use the conventional Points and so the Unofficial Pool Standings on this site are reflected in this manner.

FIH Match Centre

Resurgent Rebecchi sparkles as Argentina continue superb form with away win over USA

Resurgent attacker Carla Rebecchi produced yet another FIH Pro League Player of the Match performance as Argentina recorded a comfortable 4-0 away win over Pan American rivals USA at the Spooky Nook Sports Complex in Lancaster, Pennsylvania on Sunday (12 May).

Rebecchi - who returned to the national squad in September 2018, 18 months after retiring from the game and six months after starting a family - was once again in exceptional form, scoring once and playing a starring role in the other three strikes as Las Leonas strengthened their hold on second position in the standings. Argentina have claimed 83.33 percent of the points available, behind the Netherlands who have 87.5 percent but significantly ahead of third placed Belgium, who have 72.22 percent. The top four finishers in the FIH Pro League will secure tickets to June’s FIH Pro League Grand Final in Amsterdam and also the FIH Olympic qualifiers, which take place later this year.

Argentina (FIH World Ranking: 4) came into the contest as heavy favourites, already sitting second in the FIH Pro League standings thanks to seven wins and just one loss from the eleven matches they had played. However, the USA (WR:12) have long been a thorn in the side of Las Leonas, something that came to the fore when the two sides clashed in the reverse fixture in Cordoda, where Argentina fought back from 2-0 down to tie the match at 2-2 before claiming a bonus point by winning the shoot-out.

Carlos Retegui’s Argentina made an excellent start to the contest and thought that they had opened the scoring just two minutes into the second quarter through Rebecchi, but her close range finish was ruled by the video umpire after USA successfully appealed regarding an obstruction in the circle.

The South Americans only needed to wait another four minutes before getting the goal that their endeavour deserved, with Agustina Albertarrio finishing off a penalty corner after Rebecchi’s drag-flick caused havoc in the USA defensive circle. Argentina finished the half having racked up 29 circle entries and 12 shots compared to USA’s five circle penetrations and zero shots, although the Americans had a huge chance to go into the break on level terms when Mackenzie Allessie found herself through on goal only for the ever-reliable Silvina D’Elia to chase back and clear the danger.

USA won two penalty corners in the opening minutes of the third quarter, forcing Argentina into some frenetic defending with the first before a direct strike from Kathleen Sharkey forced a good save from Leonas goalkeeper Cristina Cosentino, diving to her right to force the ball to safety.

Just when it seemed that an American comeback might be on the cards, Argentina won a penalty corner and duly doubled their advantage. This time the sensational Rebecchi did get her name on the score-sheet, sending a low drag-flick that somehow squeezed under the right foot of USA goalkeeper Kelsey Bing.

Rebecchi’s influence on the first three quarters had been huge, and it was a theme that continued into the fourth period when she created two goals for Victoria Granatto, who found the net with close range efforts in the 52nd and 53rd minutes to complete a resounding victory for Las Leonas.

“I’m very happy because I think we played a great match”, said Player of the Match Rebecchi. “We really played very well. We’ve been working all this week and have been training very good, so its nice when you can do it on the field as well, so I’m really happy for the team.”

Commenting on Argentina’s form in the FIH Pro League, Rebecchi said: “We didn’t start [the competition] very good but we have kept improving in all of the matches. I think we have to keep improving. It is a new team, and a new coach this year, everything is new but we are doing good and I think we have to keep on doing that so we can get to the Final Four in the best way.”

The FIH Pro League continues next weekend with matches taking place in London, England and Lancaster, USA. On Saturday (18 May), Great Britain’s men and women host Argentina at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre before USA face China at Spooky Nook. On Sunday (19 May), Great Britain welcome Belgium’s women and men - the latter being the reigning world champions - to Lee Valley.

FIH Pro League
12 May - Lancaster, USA

Result: Women’s Match 44
USA 0, Argentina 4
Player of the Match: Carla Rebecchi (ARG)
Umpires: Kelly Hudson (NZL), Ivona Makar (CRO) and Ayanna McClean (TTO - video)


Official FIH Pro League Site

Pan American Rivals Overpower USWNT in Second FIH Pro League Game of the Weekend

Image Taken by Mark Palczewski

LANCASTER, Pa. – The U.S. Women’s National Team battled No. 4 Argentina in their second FIH Pro League game of the weekend. More rain saturated the pitch before the second meeting of the two teams, but only a light mist remained as the first whistle sounded. A back-and-forth struggle was fought between the 25-yard lines as both teams pressured hard and attacked aggressively. It was Argentina who capitalized on the scoring opportunities created, defeating USA 4-0.

"I think we have to work on disguising our passes a little bit more," said Janneke Schopman, USWNT Head Coach, following the game. "Argentina is a very good team that can read when we're starting to pass and are able to get a jump on the ball. So for us, to be able to execute our skill when not looking at the player we're going to pass to will be a key focus the next week."

The game started as Argentina gained possession, working the ball deep into their right corner. USA’s defense was able to break down the attack in their circle, but Las Leonas took over in the following minutes. As Argentina brought the pressure into their attacking 25, Kathleen Sharkey (Moosic, Pa.) stepped through an Argentina pass and carried it the other way. In the sixth minute, Argentina gained possession again and managed to earn a penalty corner, but the mis-trap at the top of the circle gave USA the ball. Control continued to be back and forth as both teams saw scoring opportunities. It was Argentina who used great ball movement to produce a shot that went off the stick of Julia Young (Yorktown, Va.). With a few minutes left in the quarter, Carla Rebecchi used her quick stick skill and speed to get a backhand shot off that USA goalkeeper Kelsey Bing (Houston,Texas) stopped and cleared over the sideline. Back-to-back penalty corners were awarded to Las Leonas, with the first hitting another foot, and the second being tipped out by flyer Amanda Magadan (Randolph, N.J.). USA used the momentum to move up the field, and Lauren Moyer (York, Pa.) found a cutting Anna Dessoye (Mountaintop, Pa.) for a give-and-go across the circle. Argentina's Julieta Jankunas stole the ball from Moyer, ending the quarter’s action as it finished scoreless.

USA pressed harder on the Argentina back line as the second quarter got underway. However, Las Leonas did not hold back and they worked the ball up the field to set up their first almost-goal of the game. Jankunas sent it across the cage to Bing for a save, but Rebecchi was there to lift it over Bing for the goal. USA used their video referral, asking for an Argentina foot on the rebound. USA was correct in the decision as the score remained 0-0. In the 21st minute, a hard whistle outside the USA circle was upgraded to a penalty corner for Las Leonas. The first drag flick and second shot were stopped by Bing, but the third by Agustina Albertarrio slipped under Bing for Argentina’s first official goal. The USA defense did not relent as the goal charged Las Leonas. Ashley Hoffman (Mohnton, Pa.) made a key stop outside the circle, passing it immediately to Casey Umstead (Green Lane, Pa.) to work it toward their attacking end. Argentina came close to their second goal as the ball entered low off the right baseline but Magadan made the clean step and Umstead cleared it out. A sequence starting with Hoffman passed it forward to Moyer who then passed it to Mackenzie Allessie (Mount Joy, Pa.) in the circle, but the Argentina goalkeeper Cristina Cosentino made the diving stick save. Las Leonas continued to knock until the final seconds of the half, but the score stood in favor of Argentina 1-0.

As the second half of match got started, USA struck first by earning a penalty corner in the 31st minute. The shot by Sharkey went right to Cosentino, but Moyer collected it and found a foot for another chance. The second penalty corner attempt came from Sharkey again, with Cosentino diving and saving the ball this time. With the ball going the other way on the restart, Argentina entered the circle and Jankunas managed a baseline cross through traffic that was cleared by Bing. During the 37th minute, Agostina Alonso was quick to find space and ripped a backhand shot that hit off a USA leg. Las Leonas’ fifth penalty corner made it past Bing with a quick drag flick by Rebecchi. Off the restart, USA took it into their attacking circle but was defended well by the Argentina defense. With a minute left in the quarter, USA was awarded a penalty corner after quick passing from Margaux Paolino (Villanova, Pa.) found Linnea Gonzales (Bel Air, Md.) who used her skill to find an Argentina foot. The slip sweep shot by Ali Froede (Burke, Va.) was defended well over the end line by Las Leonas as the quarter closed with Argentina leading 2-0.

The fourth and final quarter got underway as both teams worked hard to gain and keep possession. Las Leonas found a USA foot inside the circle to earn another penalty corner. Argentina executed a deceptive move, faking a shot and passing to Rebecchi who was poised at the top of the circle. Her shot went just wide of the goal mouth. Argentina kept up their attack as Jankunas tried a backhand shot, but the ball rolled too far in front of her, forcing the connection to go astray. USA continued to try to press out of their defensive end and beyond Argentina’s tight defense. Las Leonas quickly got the ball down the other way, into the circle and across the goal where Micaela Retegui picked it up, turned and ripped a backhand shot that was tipped in Victoria Granatto. USA asked for a video review for the back of the stick, but the goal stood according to the video umpire. Less than a minute later, Granatto tallied another and extended the lead after a goalmouth scramble found the back of the goal to give Argentina a 4-0 lead. As the time ticked away, USA worked it toward their circle but continually was met by a strong Argentina defensive line. The final score would stand at Argentina 4, USA 0.

"I think a couple times we had an extra pass opportunity around when we chose to dribble or chose to go through them," said Schopman. "And I think that against these teams it is key to move the ball well so you make them move and then there's time to eliminate in the one-v-ones. When we had some space, and we actually started using our 3D skills, we saw some good eliminations, but we have to do that more often."

Following the game, Rebecchi of Argentina earned Player of the Match for her goal-scoring performance.

In today’s contest, USWNT athlete Erin Matson (Chadds Ford, Pa.) earned her 50th international cap for USA. Image Taken by Mark Palczewski

The U.S. Women’s National Team’s next FIH Pro League match will be played at home on Saturday, May 18 in Lancaster, Pa. against No. 10 China.

USFHA media release

Trans-Tasman Masters show off New Zealand spirit in Gold Coast series

Last week saw 14 New Zealand Masters teams take part in a fantastic week of hockey on the Gold Coast. This was the 10thedition of the Trans-Tasman Masters series which was first played in 2000. Some exciting hockey was played throughout the week which ultimately saw the Australians walk away with 13 series wins out of the 14 series that were played.

The New Zealand 55 Women were outstanding as they won their third and deciding match 4-0 to collect the series win.

The New Zealand Masters signed their week in the Gold Coast off with a spine-tingling haka at the closing ceremony. While the results on the pitch didn’t go the New Zealand team’s way the spirit of competition and fantastic memories that were created played a part in the largest Trans-Tasman Masters series ever.

Women’s Results

Women 35 – Test One
New Zealand 0
Australia 2 (Kylie O’Donohue 58 min, Sarah Walton 60 min)

Women 35 – Test Two
New Zealand 0
Australia 0

Women 35 – Test Three
New Zealand 0
Australia 2 (Jessica Chad 39 min, Rosie Ballard 49 min)

Women 40 – Test One
New Zealand 1 (Desiree Mccracken 28 min)
Australia 3 (Reita Holmes 12 min, Lucy Withers 32 min, Deborah West 56 min)

Women 40 – Test Two
New Zealand 1 (Desiree McCracken 52 min)
Australia 0

Women 40– Test Three
New Zealand 1 (Joanne Kidd)
Australia 2 (Georgina Sayer 10 min, Belinda Page 30 min)

Women 45 – Test One
New Zealand 1 (Helen Keast 28 min)
Australia 2 (Sue Marcussen 49 min, Janet Peters 57 min)

Women 45 – Test Two
New Zealand 0
Australia 0

Women 45 – Test Three
New Zealand 1 (Paulette Reidy-David 16 min)
Australia 2 (Tracey Makings 21 min, Sharon Williams 33 min)

Women 50 – Test One
New Zealand 1 (Lynne Fitzpatrick 68 min)
Australia 2 (Michelle Bisson 25 min, Julie Waddell 30 min)

Women 50 – Test Two
New Zealand 1 (Amanda Mcleod 49 min)
Australia 0

50 Women – Test Three
New Zealand 1 (Lynne Fitzpatrick 11 min)
Australia 2 (Julie Waddell 20 min, Michelle Bisson 30 min)

Women 55 – Test One
New Zealand 1 (Chantel Preece 34 min)
Australia 0

Women 55 – Test Two
New Zealand 0
Australia 1 (Karen Iwanuscha 30 min)

Women 55 – Test Three
New Zealand 4 (Sandra Kindley 28 min, Sue Furmge 47, 62 min, Chantel Preece 50 min)
Australia 0

Women 60 – Test One
New Zealand 1 (Alison Davis 26 min)
Australia 1 (Noreen Walton 28 min)

Women 60 – Test Two
New Zealand 2 (Jenny Travis 37 min, Sandie Mackie 48 min)
Australia 3 (Diane Fraser 40, 70 min, Sharon Anderson 68 min)

Women 60 – Test Three
New Zealand 3 (Jenny Travis 64 min, Jenny Travis 20 min, Brenda Poole 23 min)
Australia (Sharon Anderson 13 min, Noreen Walton 19 min, Diane Fraser 48 min)

Women 65 – Test One
New Zealand 1 (Irene Ryan 63 min)
Australia 1 (Jan Richards 51 min)

Women 65 – Test Two
New Zealand 1 (Maeve Morrison 64 min)
Australia 2 (Jenny Grey 25 min, Janis Hutton 38 min)

Women 65 – Test Three
New Zealand 1 (Maeve Morrison 68 min)
Australia 2 (Janese McDougall 27 min, Kaylene Toovey 65 min)

Men Day One Results

Men 35 – Test One
New Zealand 0
Australia 6 (Muddasir Abbas 22, 54 min, Sturart Fletcher 29, 33 min, Duncan Mahony 43 min, Joel Helmstedt 70 min)

Men 35 – Test Two
New Zealand 2 (Anil Nathoo 32 min, Matthew Ramsay 53 min)
Australia 5 (James Bower 4 min, Kane Hancock 30 min, Craig Bigham 43 min, Suart Fletcher 59, 69 min)

Men 35 – Test Three
New Zealand 1 (Matthew Ramsay 69 min)
Australia 2 (Joel Helmstedt 33 min, James Bower 42 min)

Men 40 – Test One
New Zealand 2 (Mark Paterson 13 min, Lance Workman 11 min)
Australia 5 (Brad Mathers 4, 58 min, Aleksander Korcz 6 min, Anthony Traill 44, 57 min)

Men 40 – Test Two
New Zealand 0
Australia 10 (Jason Baldwin 11, 43 min, Philip Taylor 13, 27, 31 min, Brad Mathers 34 min, Aleksander Korcz 40, 66 min, Scott Reid 61 min, Dan Mayfield 63 min)

Men 40 – Test Three
New Zealand 0
Australia 10 (Anthony Traill 29, 68 min, Adam Bannister 33, 43 min, Sam Freeman 35, 49 min, Jason Baldwin 41, 55 min, Brad Mathers 67, 69 min)

Men 45 – Test One
New Zealand 2 (Andrew Robertson 45 min, Brad Apted 58 min)
Australia 4 (Grant Smith 17 min, Brett Withington 34 min, Andrew Newton 39, 39 min)

Men 45 – Test Two
New Zealand 2 (Kether Gati 38 min, Garry Bishop 69 min)
Australia 4 (Grant Smith 2, 61, 68 min, Chris McCarthy 48 min)

Men 45 – Test Three
New Zealand 1 (Garry Bishop 24 min)
Australia 1 (Andrew Newton 22 min)

Men 50 – Test One
New Zealand 1 (Grant Boyde 23 min)
Australia 8 (Leon Phillips 26, 29, 63 min, Dean Lomax 38 min, Ashley Grummitt 41 min, Damian Smith 45, 69 min, Dean Wightman 67 min)

Men 50 – Test Two
New Zealand 2 (Brett Sanders 23 min, Graeme Findlay 25 min
Australia 6 (Dean Wightman 19 min, Alan Dick 35, 36 min, Leon Phillips 38, 49 min, Ashley Grummitt 64 min

50 Men – Test Three
New Zealand 0
Australia 5 (Leon Phillips 31, 34, 46 min, Craig McBride 49 min, Damian Smith 68 min)

Men 55 – Test One
New Zealand 0
Australia 3 (Christopher Fenton 19, 49 min, Michael Russ 28 min)

Men 55 – Test Two
New Zealand 3 (Shane Mulcahy 34 min, Peter Van Breugel 41, 53 min)
Australia 2 (Philip Shaw 3 min, David Collier 18 min)

Men 55 – Test Three
New Zealand 1 (Malcolm Sutherland 11 min)
Australia 1 (Amauri Amat 68 min)

Men 60 – Test One
New Zealand 1 (Gene Coates-Reid 60 min)
Australia 2 (Noel Morrison 45 min, Graham Miller 50 min)

Men 60 – Test Two
New Zealand 2 (Rob Clay 31 min, Chuni Bhikha 45 min)
Australia 1 (Graham Miller 46 min)

Men 60 – Test Three
New Zealand 2 (Chuni Bhikha 45 min, Tim Brenton 60 min)
Australia 3 (Don Trewin 32 min, Warren Jenkins 46 min, Noel Morrison 58 min)

Men 65 – Test One
New Zealand 2 (Warren Leonard 13 min, Ross Tritt 24 min)
Australia 4 (Peter Shepherd 7 min, Dennis Cranston 34, 64 min, Geoffrey Snape 72 min)

Men 65 – Test Two
New Zealand 0
Australia 0

65 Men – Test Three
New Zealand 1 (Dick Pettet 28 min)
Australia (Geoffrey Lewis 7 min, Peter Shepherd 41, 70 min)

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Capital and Canterbury reign supreme at National U21 Tournament

U21 Women

Canterbury have sealed their second Vantage National U21 title in a row with a comprehensive 5-0 win over Auckland. After their shock shootout loss to the hometown North Harbour the previous day the Canterbury Women were emphatic from the start of the match. Canterbury was the most consistent side throughout the week and were rewarded for a great week of playing some amazing and entertaining hockey. North Harbour ensured that they would earn a silver medal in the competition with their 5-1 win over Capital, while Central completed their run to the bronze medal when they were convincing in their match against Southern.

Central 5 (Natasha Cowx 4 min, Hope Ralph 21 min, Casey Crowley 21 min, Holly Pearson 52, 58 min)
Southern 0

North Harbour 5 (Jess Pilmer 2 min, Samantha Polovnikoff 33, 34 min, Tonya Botherway 43 min, Kate Ivory 60 min)
Capital 1 (Yazzmine Woodhouse 47 min)

Canterbury 5 (Margot Willis 11 min, Hayley Cox 17 min, Emily Wium 20, 59 min, Jessie Anderson 21 min)
Auckland 0

Team    GP    W    WD    LD    L    GD    PTS
Canterbury    6    5    0    1    0    21    21
North Harbour    6    4    1    0    1    12    18
Central    6    4    0    0    2    12    16
Auckland    6    3    0    0    3    -9    12
Capital    6    1    2    0    3    -9    8
Midlands    6    1    0    1    4    -8    5
Southern    6    0    0    1    5    -19    1

U21 Men

Capital have bounced back from their opening loss of the week to North Harbour to take out the 2019 Vantage National U21 Tournament. Needing a win from their final game Capital got off to a fantastic start when Liam Mortimer scored his fourth goal of the tournament to put Capital in front of the match. The result was sealed when Sajan Patel who has been the competitions leading goal scorer for the week scored his seventh and eighth goal of the tournament. Capitals win relegated the two-time defending champions North Harbour to the silver medal position in the tournament.

In a tournament which was a round robin format that ensured that the weeks most consistent team would go home with the title. It was Capital who earned 20 points from their 6 matches which included five wins and one solitary loss.

Canterbury 2 (Tom Nicholls 35, 52 min)
Capital 3 (Liam Mortimer 8 min, Sajan Patel 20, 33 min)

Auckland 1 (Harrison Lawson 49 min)
Southern 2 (Henry Will 60, 60 min)

North Harbour 3 (Charl Ulrich 15 min, Byron Buys 18 min, Luke Buxton 29 min)
Midlands 2 (Zane Anderseon 43 min, Bailey Harrison 43 min)

Team    GP    W    WD    LD    L    GD    P
Capital     6    5    0    0    1    11    20
North Harbour    6    4    1     1    0    7    19
Southern     6    4    0    0    2    6    16
Canterbury    6    2    2    0    2    3    12
Midlands    6    2    0    0    4    1    8
Auckland    6    1    0    2    3    -7    6
Central    6    0    0    0    6    -21    0

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Northland premier hockey: Mangapai continue unbeaten run with 4-1 win over Maungakaramea

By Adam Pearse

Maungakaramea's Kyle Gillingham (centre) plays the ball away from two oncoming Mangapai players. Photo / John Stone

Mangapai closed out a perfect round one of Northland's premier men's hockey competition with a convincing 4-1 victory over Maungakaramea on Saturday in Whangārei, New Zealand

With four wins from four games, plus a compulsory bye, Mangapai are pulling ahead of the pack at the top of the table with 15 points.

Maungakaramea and Whangārei Boys' High School sit five points back in equal second and will need to find a way to combat Mangapai's fast-paced, attacking play.

Maungakaramea managed to stem Mangapai's progress at times in Saturday's game at the Northland Hockey Centre at Kensington.

Going into the halftime break leading 2-1, Mangapai stormed home in the second half to win by three goals.

"I think we played relatively well, there's always stuff to work on but the guys put in a pretty solid performance," Mangapai coach Mark Thorne said.

"We probably could have taken a few more opportunities in the first half but it was good to see that we were able to finish the game off strong."

Thorne said his side was starting to gel more as a unit which helped them play a fast, counter-attacking style.

"We are trying to target other teams when they make easy turnovers and attack the other teams very quickly and accurately.

"Our strength is a lot of speed but it's just matching our skill with that speed."

Maungakaramea coach Sam Webb said it wasn't the best game his side had played but they would learn a lot from playing the table leaders.

"It was just a different pace than what we are used to, so it was good for the boys because it's a step up from the last couple of games we've had."

"We hit the post a couple of times and if either of those two went in, it would have changed the momentum so it's just a good learning curve."

In the round's other game, Whangārei Boys' High School beat Bream Bay United, 5-2.

Bream Bay United players rush from the goal-mouth to defend a penalty corner. Photo / John Stone

In the premier women's competition, Whangārei Girls' High School moved to equal second on the table behind Springfield after their 5-2 win over Hikurangi on Saturday at Kensington.

With burgeoning combinations at the top of the pitch, WGHS coach Dave Adams was happy with the performance from his strikers.

"Four of our goals were from our strikers, which is always good," he said.

"We've got a lot of room for improvement but I'm pretty happy with how we went with the ball, creating a few chances."

Whangārei Girls' High School's Claire Donnelly (left) sprints down the line, avoiding Hikurangi player, Amy Jones. Photo / John Stone

Adams said Hikurangi exposed his side's defensive vulnerabilities which would need to be addressed if the school side were to compete against league-leaders Springfield.

"Hikurangi played pretty well in the second half, causing problems with our defensive structure.

"We tend to do a lot of scrambled defence instead of structured defence and against a side as talented as Springfield, if we don't have good shape, we are always going to struggle."

Hikurangi coach Roland Price said he was disappointed with the loss after his side had made considerable improvements over the past few weeks.

"It's a step backwards for us, we struggled with the speed of game and [WGHS] got behind our defence pretty easily which is our biggest problem," he said.

Price said a slow start cursed his side who had started to gel well together despite losing their first four games.

Hikurangi's Chloe Ludlow (left) clashes sticks with WGHS player, Alice Donnelly. Photo / John Stone

"We'll take what we can out of the loss, take the positives out of it because we've come a long way in these past few weeks from being easy-beats to being a lot more competitive."

The round's other game saw Maungakaramea draw 4-all with Old Girls.

Springfield's men's and women's teams had the bye.


Maungakaramea 4 Old Girls 4, WGHS 5 Hikurangi 2, Springfield the bye.


Mangapai 4 Maungakaramea 1, WBHS 5 Bream Bay 2, Springfield the bye.

The New Zealand Herald

Super sixth trophy for Rovers who pay tribute to Denham’s influence

Three Rock Rovers celebrate their Irish Senior Cup success. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Having won six trophies for a second successive season, the old hands around Grange Road were struggling to recall a run of results quite like it.

Only the run of three Senior Cup wins from 1962 to 64 – the first of which was shared with Lisnagarvey – comes close as the club signed off on another notable season with their 12th victory in the cup courtesy.

Jody Hosking got the winner in the 20th minute, the skipper diving on to Luke Madeley’s low push to nick the ball beyond the clutches of James Milliken.

From there, Rovers were stoic in defence and kept Garvey blank for the second time in a week, backing up their 2-0 EY Champions Trophy final victory. Therein lay the key to a not overly memorable tie. Garvey had scored 133 goals in all competitions this season but they found real openings of note extremely thin on the ground.

Jamie Carr was only tested once, a solid boot to James Lorimer’s drag-flick, while Matthew Nelson and his younger brother Ben were off course with backhand shots from tough angles.

Rovers, meanwhile, carried slightly more menace and might have gone further ahead but for John Mullins hitting the post a minute before the break.

Harry Morris was typically imposing as one of the stars of the team. The second half proved a fiery, if not wholly edifying affair with turnovers abounding and a few fractious exchanges with a number of cards shown.

Garvey found their direct approach stymied as Ravin Nair, Harry MacMahon, David Kane and Madeley again offered no easy options.

Nonetheless, they will reflect on a strong campaign, winning the EY Hockey League regular season, blooding a host of new faces after the departure of a wealth of senior internationals.

For Rovers, that might be a template they have to follow next season. Madeley, Carr and Daragh Walsh are all set for European moves in the summer while coach Niall Denham is also stepping down.

The coach feels the time is right to move on, saying the squad will benefit from a new voice in the form of Gareth Borland who takes on the reins.

Denham took on the role a month before the 2015/16 season, stepping up from his post as a pivotal member of the youth setup in something of a crisis with players leaving left, right and centre.

He steadied the ship in year one with a mid-table finish before going on to win the Champions Trophy three times in a row as well as two Irish Senior Cups, two Neville Cups and two Mills Cups while also notching the biggest win by an Irish club in the Euro Hockey League – 6-0 against Racing Club de France.

During that time indoors, Rovers also won three National Indoor Trophies and back-to-back European promotions. The club paid tribute to his impact on social media in the aftermath of the tie.

“At times like this, it is easy to sit back and revel in the glory. But success never comes easily. This squad is the product of all before it; all the junior and senior coaches of the last 20 years; development committees; and the countless hours and euros that have been spent by friends, families, local companies and more.

“But most importantly it is a product of their own hard work and dedication since joining the club at underage level. Many of this squad have been together since Under-8s.

“They’ve played with each other on every squad from club to regional to international. If they’ve not played together they’ve been coached by each other. But, most notably, they’ve been coached by Niall Denham.

“Niall has been at the forefront of this group’s development since he started his coaching journey at colts level. It is only fitting that he has been at the helm of their greatest successes, helping them come full circle and signing off on the greatest period of success the club has seen, for which he has been building for nearly 20 years.

“Next year, Niall leaves us for new ventures. Along with him, we say goodbye to some of our most exciting young players, Daragh, Jamie and Luke, who we know will bring the same success to their new club Leuven as they have helped to bring to Rovers.

“To the guys, we say good luck and thank you for all that you have done not just this year but every year that you have been involved in Rovers. To those that remain, we look forward to watching you and Gareth continue the journey.

“Finally to the rest of our members we say thank you. Success is built on a strong, stable and often invisible foundation. Let’s look to this recent achievement as a catalyst for continued growth to ensure that this is a blueprint for how we can shape today’s juniors, boys and girls, to be the champions of tomorrow.”

Men’s Irish Senior Cup final
Three Rock Rovers 1 (J Hosking) Lisnagarvey 0

Three Rock Rovers: J Carr, D Kane, R Nair, R Canning, M Darling, B Walker, L Madeley, H Morris, J Hosking, H MacMahon, D Walsh
Subs: M Walker, J Mullins, C Empey, K Mullins, M English, A Flynn, S O’Brien

Lisnagarvey: J Milliken, J Lorimer, J Bell, M McNellis, J Corry, D Nelson, A Williamson, P McKibbin, A Edgar, M Nelson, T Chambers
Subs: J Lynch, H Morris, C Chambers, O Kidd, R Arneill, J McGall, J Tormey

Umpires: B Bale, M Coombes

The Hook

Mighty Quins add to list of amazing comebacks to win second Irish Senior Cup

Cork Harlequins celebrate. Picture: Adrian Boehm

Cork Harlequins won the women’s Irish Senior Cup for just the second time as they added to this week’s list of remarkable comebacks by coming from 2-0 down to defeat Loreto in a shoot-out.

It was their first since 2000, a remarkable feat in a week of famous comebacks, the Farmers’ Cross side looked dead and buried at half-time only to storm back from 2-0 down at half-time. It showed incredible belief for one of the youngest sides ever to grace this stage with only six players remaining in situ from the 2017 final appearance.

Harlequins coach Darren Collins – a Liverpool fan – had seen enough turnarounds during the week to know the side could be galvanised. And they bounced back brilliantly, Michelle Barry and Olivia Roycroft swooping to send the game to a shoot-out where Lorna Bateman saved four times to win the day.

“You can take losing if you perform but not playing well enough… I said to them at half-time ‘we can’t leave here with any regrets’,” Collins said of the momentum shift.

“I just felt we played hockey in the second half. We were nervous and tense in the first half and the girls just needed to relax.

“In fairness to Loreto, they pushed us hard before we got a bit of momentum. I felt the goals were coming and we just had to stay calm. The shuttles are a lottery and you feel for Loreto – I have lost two schools finals that way so I know what it’s like – but in fairness Lorna came us trumps for us.”

Quins always knew they would be without Irish international Yvonne O’Byrne who was in camp with the Green Army.

But Cliodhna Sargent’s ACL injury – sustained in the semi-final win over Pegasus – and Rebecca Barry’s unavailability meant they took the field with eight schoolgirls in their matchday squad.

And they made a timid start with Niamh Small fired a brilliant ball across from the right to Sarah Evans who swivelled out of a tackle and unleashed a low reverse-stick bullet into the bottom corner.

Small’s inclusion showed the difference in experience Loreto could call on to step in as she and fellow former international Caitriona O’Kelly came into the panel in place of the absent Sarah Torrans, Ali Meeke, Hannah Matthews and Nicci Daly.

And Quins looked shell-shocked when Caitlin Sherin provided the right wing cross for Aoife Taaffe to step in for 2-0 just 11 minutes in.

At this stage, the Cork side looked fearful while their rejigged defence were shipping plenty of pressure and loose turnovers. Coach Collins extracted a huge reaction from his troops as they suddenly found mountains of self-belief and a warrior spirit typified by Emma Barber.

Barry hoovered up a rebound created by Caoimhe Perdue’s shot seven minutes into the second half from the first corner of the game.

And they had their leveller in similar fashion when Barber struck at goal and Roycroft cashed in with 10 minutes to go. Loreto survive

In between, Barber showed real guts to clear off the line from a rare Loreto break-out while the Quins defence scrambled to clear a last second penalty corner.

It sent the tie to a shoot-out where Roycroft’s shot somehow dribbled over the line in the first round. Bateman saved three times in a row before Sherin equalised.

But Barry retook the lead in the last round with a stunning volley, laying the platform for Bateman’s last act. A week ago, Sara Twomey was denied in the EY Champions Trophy final by the width of a post in Loreto’s defeat to Pegasus.

This time her shot clipped the inner thigh of Batemen and spun mere centimetres past the post as the Beaufort side suffered a second painful final loss in a shoot-out for the second time in six days.

For Bateman, it saw her win one of the only trophies her father – and long-time goalkeeper coach – Ivan had not won during an illustrious career.

Bateman has shared the goalkeeping duties 50-50 with Becky Maye all season. In the final, the former took the first half and assumed that would be the end of her role for the day.

“I didn’t know I would be stepping in for the shoot-out until after full-time,” she said. “It’s usually the scenario that the one who finishes the game would do the shuttles. It’s kind of presumed so I had to switch on fairly quick! ‘Let’s go get warmed up again!’”

She was among a number with strong Quins family connections. Indeed, Saoirse Griffin can claim to have been on the pitch in a way in the 2000 success; her mother Sharon Hutchinson – founder of the sportswomen.ie website – was two months pregnant with her at the final.

Sargent fittingly lifted the cup on behalf of the team, emulating her husband John Hobbs who won the men’s competition in 2006 and 2012.

“To do it with eight schoolgirls is just fantastic,” Collins said of the win. “All year round, we have talked about the squad and given them a lot of time on the pitch. That came through for us in the end.

“Cliodhna was missing, Rebecca missing, Yvonne stuck up in Banbridge at a training session. Any side would miss them but the girls stepped up and produced the goods.”

Women’s Irish Senior Cup final
Cork Harlequins 2 (M Barry, O Roycroft) Loreto 2 (S Evans, A Taaffe), Cork Harlequins win shoot-out 2-1.

Loreto: L Murphy, S Evans, H Mulcahy, M Jennings,, G McLoughlin, C Sherin, N Small, G Donald, C Hamill, S Clarke, C O’Kelly
Subs: K Crotty, S O’Brien, S Twomey, A Taaffe, O Brady, A Carragher

Cork Harlequins: L Bateman, E O’Donoghue, N Barry, S Murphy, E Barber, C Perdue, O Roycroft, J O’Halloran, M Barry, J Murphy, E O’Leary
Subs: Z Bowles, S Griffin, S Uniacke-Lowe, I Burns, N O’Leary, A O’Grady, B Maye

Umpires: L Clifford, C Metchette

The Hook

Butali rally to avoid defeat, Police cruise


Butali Sugar Warriors' George Mutira (left) vies for the ball with USIU's Clifford Ian during their Kenya Hockey Union Men's Premier League match at City Park stadium on May 11, 2019. PHOTO | SILA KIPLAGAT |  NATION MEDIA GROU[

Amos Barkibir’s last minute equaliser rescued champions Butali Sugar Warriors from defeat as they battled United States International University to a 3-3 draw in a men’s hockey Premier League duel at City Park Stadium, Nairobi on Saturday.

Kenya Police tightened their march to the top when they humbled Greenshanks 5-2 in another thrilling men’s Premier League duel on Sunday at the same venue.

Despite the draw, Butali Sugar went one point clear at the top of 10 teams league standings with 10 points, while Police climbed one place to fifth with seven points.

Wazalendo and Western Jaguars, who were not in action over weekend, stayed second and third respectively with nine points each.

Lawrence Makhatsa put USIU ahead in the second minute from a field goal before Barkibir levelled three minutes to the end of the first quarter as the team took a breather at 1-1.

Then Justin Ngetich would slot in in the 43rd to put the students ahead 2-1, before skipper James Muthii stretched their lead to 3-1 three minutes later from a field goal.

Two minutes later, Constance Wakhura stepped up on the spot to score and USIU’s defence wilted in the last minute to let Barkibir level the proceedings and deny them their first win against Butali.

USIU stayed eighth and a place above relegation with an improved tally of four points.

Police went up 2-0 when skipper Oliver Echenje (15) and Govan Mbeki (17) scored from scintillating field goals.

Skipper Victor Osiche pulled one back for Greensharks from the spot only seconds after Mbeki’s goal.

Then veteran Moses Cheplaiti made in 3-1 for Police from open play in the 23rd minute as the teams took a break.

Chris Wokila brought Greensharks back in the game with his 44th minute penalty strike, but Cheplaiti would seal his brace three minutes later and Samuel Oungo confirmed the win for Police from spot a minute before fulltime.

Daily Nation

Maties top the table, Kovsies survive UCT scare

Maties © PhotoShelter

The South African Varsity Hockey Round Robin stage came to an end on Sunday, 12 May, where the annual tournament is taking place at the NWU Hockey Astro in Potchefstroom.

Kovsies was lucky to survive a UCT scare. They were 3-1 down at halftime but managed to pull back three points to win 4-3. Maties thumped the Madibaz 7-0 to finish on top of the log, while the defending champions, Tuks beat Wits 3-0 to also secure their semifinal spot. In the final game of the evening, NWU did just enough to cement their spot in the semifinals, beating UJ 2-0.

Fixtures for Monday, 13 May, which will all be broadcast live on SuperSport:

13h30 – Wits vs Madibaz; 15h15 – UJ vs UCT; 17h00 – Maties vs Tuks; and 18h45 – Kovsies vs NWU. The Varsity Hockey final will be played on Monday 20 May and will be at the home ground of the team that finishes top.


Kovsies, who were 3-1 down at halftime, managed to pull back three points to win 4-3 at the NWU Astro in the opening game on Sunday 12 May.

It was Este van Schalkwyk showed her class early on for Kovsies, but UCT who got the first points of the game when captain Andrea Leader crashed the ball into the back of the net from a short corner. UCT’s lead was short lived as Antonet Louw returned the favour and fired the ball into the back of the goal to draw level at 1-1 going into the end of the first quarter.

Nicole Koenig got the second quarter off to a strong start for UCT when she scored a fantastic field goal to put UCT 3-1 up, but Kovsies continued to build momentum despite being down going into halftime.

Kovsies came out firing in the second half when Lizanne Jacobs scored to tie the score for the second time in the game. S’Thabile put Kovsies 4-3 up when she scored a fantastic field goal to take the lead for the first time in the game. UCT continued to fight for the equaliser, but too many mistakes cost them as the third quarter drew to a close.

UCT’s woes continued into the final quarter, with Lizanne Jacobs and Antonet Louw finding cracks in their defence, but goalkeeper Nepo Serage did enough to hold them off right until the end. Kovsies win keeps them at the top of the log, with three games left of the round robin stages left today to decide who will be joining them in the semifinals tomorrow.


UCT: 3
Kovsies: 4


Maties secured their spot in tomorrow’s semifinal when they beat a struggling Madibaz 7-0 in Potchefstroom.

Lara Stevens came close to scoring the first goal for Maties but goalkeeper Kerryn Frost blocked all her shots. It was Rebecca Kaps who opened the goal scoring for Maties, when she found the back of the net after only twelve minutes of play, which was enough to give them a 2-0 lead as the first quarter ended.

Both sides lacked composure in the second quarter, with neither team getting any points or real opportunities to take the score to only 2-0 at halftime.

Maties began to settle in the second half and Stephanie Botha continued to assert dominance from the beginning, and eventually her hard work paid off when she scored off a short corner to take Maties up to 3-0 in the 43rd minute. Zhanique Sissing had a chance to get Madibaz on the board, but it was not meant to be.

Maties had some close shots in both the third and the final quarter, but Kerryn Frost again ensured the score stayed locked at 3-0. Another breakthrough came for Maties when Jamie Southgate scored a cracker of a goal, which left a tired Madibaz chasing a five-point deficit with five minutes left of play. Lida Kotze sealed the deal for Maties when she scored and made it 7-0 to the maroon machine, who secured a semifinal spot.

The Eastern Cape side, who wore a black band on their upper left arms in an initiative to support Mother’s Day and moms who have passed on and are missed a little more on days like today, end their final Varsity Hockey round robin game of this year’s competition without a single win from seven games.


Maties: 7
Madibaz: 0


Tuks did enough to book their place in tomorrow’s semifinal at the NWU Astro when they beat Wits 3-0.

The first quarter was all about Wits, who kept trying to find gaps to score but couldn’t find a way through. Ashleigh Thomas and Micaela Roos had fantastic first halves for Tuks, while Ashleigh Datnow also impressed for Wits. There was no clear winner at halftime, making it a level playing field in the second half if there were to be any semifinalists from the game.

Tuks set their intentions clear in the Marizen Marais smacked the ball off a short corner which Thomas tried to convert, but sturdy Wits defence denied them any advancement. Ashleigh Thomas got the goal she had been searching for in the first ten minutes of the third quarter when she sent the ball flying to the back of the goals, putting Tuks in the lead at 2-0.

Wits were deflated in the last quarter, with Aimee Anticevich trying to extend Tuks’ lead even further, but her shot narrowly missed the top of the net. A well composed Tuks side put the pressure on Wits, who went down to ten players and were punished even further when Marizen Marais slotted a penalty in the last two minutes of the game to ensure Tuks won the Gauteng derby and survive another round of the competition.


Tuks: 3
Wits: 0


UJ hand Madibaz yet another defeat

By Bronwen Bain

Kristen Paton of UJ during the Varsity Hockey match at NWU Astro in Potchefstroom on May 11

UJ left it to the last quarter to score two goals and secure their second win of the weekend against Madibaz at the NWU Astro.

It was UJ who spent the first five minutes in their own half, but read Madibaz’s passes well enough to keep them out as they found their feet. Lisa Hawker and Phia Gerber came close to scoring for UJ but last-minute saves were enough to keep the score at 0-0. The second quarter was also quiet for both sides, with no real opportunities to take the lead going into half time.

UJ continued to build momentum in the second half but struggled to get the goal to show for their efforts. Their only real chance came in the last minute of the third quarter but the shot going wide meant they had to keep forcing their way through the Madibaz defence, whose cracks were beginning to show.

The last quarter proved the most important for UJ, as Kristen Paton gave them the vital 1-0 lead when she scored off of a penalty in the 47th minute. Madibaz refused to back down and continued to press for a goal, but the UJ defence stood as a strong unit to block all shots.

UJ called the first PowerPlay of the game, and were unlucky as Tenika Kriel scored immediately after the two minutes had ended, but Madibaz were still left chasing a three-goal deficit. Kriel tried her luck again, but an impressive save from the goal keeper kept the score at 3-0 in favour of UJ when the final hooter sounded.

Mugg & Bean Star Saver Award: Hannah Knott-Craig (Madibaz)
MTN Connector Award: Phia Gerber (UJ)
FNB Player of the Match: Caitlin van Goeverden (Madibaz)

Scores (Note Field goals count 2 in this competition)
UJ: 3
Goals: Kristen Paton, Tenika Kriel
Madibaz: 0

UJ: 1. Nadia Mattana, 2. Dinisha Coopoosamy, 3. Celine da Silva, 4. Zeena Martin, 5. Thato May, 6. Gabriella Terblanche, 7. Phia Gerber, 8. Kristen Paton, 9. Lisa Hawker, 11. Tanika Schram, 12. Tenika Schram, 13. Demi Harmse, 14. Pauline Jacobs, 15. Kaylim Bowers, 16. Lethabo Nkoe, 18. Kelly Hewitt, 22. Kerry-Leigh Cawrse, 23. Paula-Ivana Rebelo.

Madibaz: 1. Kerryn Frost, 3. Hannah Knott-Craig, 5. Lara Cunningham, 6. Staci Edwards, 7. Caitlin Gouws, 8. Kanyisa Gwata, 9. Sinead Walsh, 10. Shaneal Fernandez, 11. Britany Reddy, 13. Meghan Maartens, 15. Ewuraama Asmah-Andoh, 16. Caitlin van Goeverden, 17. Caitlin Brooks, 18. Zhanique Sissing, 21. Cassidy Holmes, 22. Emma Hobson, 23. Malikah Potgieter, 24. Tumishang Shirinde.

Varsity Sports media release

Tuks prevail against determined Kovsies

By Bronwen Bain

Maxine Hannan during the Varsity Hockey match at NWU Astro in Potchefstroom on May 11

Tuks managed to hold off Kovsies and win 7-6 on day two of the Varsity Hockey bumper weekend in Potchefstroom.

Kovsies made their intentions clear from the moment the game started, and Simone Gouws proved it when she smashed the ball into the back of the net to give Kovsies an early 2-0 advantage. Tuks found their feet and captain Megan Anderson put them back in it when she scored off a short corner to take the score to 2-1. Natalie Esteves and Lerato Mahole both scored within a minute of each other to put Tuks 5-2 ahead for the first time in the game.

The second quarter saw no goals from either side, but Lizanne Jacobs impressed for Kovsies as she marshalled her way through the Tuks defence, but to no avail as they trailed 5-2 at half time.

Marizen Marais got the second half underway for Tuks when she scored off a short corner and then slotted a penalty after Simone Gouws too got her second goal for Kovsies, which made it a three-point game at the conclusion of the third quarter.

Kovsies put up a huge fight in the final quarter, with Antonet Louw keeping Kovsies’ hopes alive and smashed the ball into the back of the net from a short corner. Tuks went down to ten players and it was Louw again who punished them when she scored a penalty, leaving Kovsies trailing by only 7-6 with ten minutes left of play. Kovsies kept knocking on Tuks’ door but goal keeper Alexis Steyn made more than one necessary save to hold onto the lead until the final whistle.

Mugg & Bean Star Saver Award: Alexis Steyn (Tuks)
MTN Connector Award: Natalie Esteves (Tuks)
FNB Player of the Match: Lizanne Jacobs (Kovsies)

Scores (Note Field goals count 2 in this competition)
Kovsies: 6
Goals: Simone Gouws (2), Antonet Louw (2)
Tuks: 7
Goals: Megan Anderson, Natalie Esteves, Lerato Mahole, Marizen Marais (2)

Kovsies: 1. Wiane Grobler, 2. Chane Hartel, 5. Anke Badenhorst, 6. Casey-Jean Botha, 7. Shindre-Lee Simmons, 8. Este van Schalkwyk, 9. Nadia van Staden, 10. Antonet Louw, 11. S’Thabile Motsa, 12. Heraldine Olin, 13. Lizanne Jacobs, 14. Catelen Briedenhann, 15. Refilwe Ralikontsane, 16. Mielanka van Schalkwyk, 17. Nela Mbedu, 18. Simone Gouws, 23. Kia-Leigh Erasmus, 24. Michelle Ngoetjane.

Tuks: 1. Alexis Steyn, 3. Onthatile Zulu, 4. Maikemisetso Marokoane, 5. Megan Anderson, 6. Ashleigh Thomas, 7. Marizen Marais, 8. Max Hannan, 9. Dollie Thotse, 10. Kaylin Fourie, 11. Aimee Anticevich, 14. Lerato Mahole, 15. Natalie Esteves, 16.Jean-Leigh du Toit, 17. Thando Chithi, 18. Aneme Jacobs, 20. Micaela Roos, 21. Jessica-Lee Redfern, 23. Demi Tait.

Varsity Sports media release

NWU scare off UCT

By Bronwen Bain

Candice Silence during the Varsity Hockey match at NWU Astro in Potchefstroom on May 11

NWU made it two wins from two against UCT when they won 6-0 at the NWU Astro

NWU brought their A-game from the onset and throughout, making sure to put pressure on UCT and work as a unit to deny them any way forward for the entire first quarter.

Both NWU and UCT had opportunities to take the lead in the second quarter, but impressive goal-keeping from both sides kept the scores tied heading into half time.

Captain Charmaine Maddocks got the second half off to a promising start when she fired the ball into the back of the net to break the deadlock and give NWU a 2-0 lead. Candice Silent extended the lead to 4-0 immediately for NWU, who continued to uncover UCT’s weaknesses. Both Maddocks and Silent each had opportunities to get their names on the score sheet again, but Nepo Serage made spectacular saves to leave the score at 4-0 as the third quarter reached its end.

In the final quarter, Sherine Ledwaba found a hole in UCT’s defence to take NWU’s lead to a comfortable six goals. While UCT had all the possession in the last five minutes of the final quarter and pushed for a consolation goal, but the sturdy NWU defence held onto the 6-0 lead and rope in the win.

Mugg & Bean Star Saver Award: Mepo Serage (UCT)
MTN Connector Award: Kirsty Adams (NWU)
FNB Player of the Match: Candice Silent (NWU)

Scores (Note Field goals count 2 in this competition)
NWU: 6
Goals: Charmaine Maddocks, Candice Silent, Sherine Ledwaba
UCT: 0

NWU: 1. Caitlin Grant, 2. Mishka Ellie, 5. Jessica de Bruyn-Smith, 6. Kirsty Adams, 7. Miecke Flemming, 10. Meeghan Klomp, 11. Kelsey Minnaar, 12. Charné Maddocks, 13. Carli Pretorius, 14. Clarise Smit, 15. Courtney du Preez, 16. Candice Silent, 18. Sherine Ledwaba, 19. Sare Laubscher, 20. Anneke Beukman, 22. Jacolene McLaren, 23. Kutlwano Moshugi, 24. Christa Ramasimang.

UCT: 1. Nepo Serage, 3. Rosie Church, 4. Gillian Hermanus, 6. Jess Hutchison, 7. Andrea Leader, 8. Michelle Winter, 9. Nicole Koenig, 10. Chelsea Manoek, 12. Francesca Vercelotti, 13. Moletlo Somo, 14. Michelle Tullis, 15. Carly Barbour, 17. Courtney Wheeler, 18. Caroline Mills, 20. Modjadji Maake, 21. Candice Ewing, 24. Cameron Beckett, 28. Aaliah Dollie.

Varsity Sports media release

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author