Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 12 November 2017

All the news for Sunday 12 November 2017


2017 CAC Games Qualifier (M) - Day 5

GUA v PUR 1 - 3
GUY v JAM 2 - 3

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Jamaica 4 4 0 0 19 2 17 12
2 Guyana 4 3 0 1 19 4 15 9
3 Puerto Rico 4 2 0 2 9 10 -1 6
4 Guatemala 4 1 0 3 7 14 -7 3
5 Panama 4 0 0 4 2 26 -24 0

FIH Match Centre


Jamaica secures victory over Guyana ahead of tomorrow’s finals.Puerto Rico and Guatemala to play for bronze medal tomorrow.

Qualifiers for the Central American and Caribbean Games - Guyana vs Jamaica. Photo Jevon Wiliams

GUA 1 vs PUR 3

Guatemala and Puerto Rico, who were both on three points, opened the Men’s section of the CAC Qualifiers in Kingston, Jamaica. Despite Puerto Rico’s dominance in the first half, the score was locked at nil all going into the half time break. The scoring got underway in the 35th minute when Kenneth Rodriguez found himself on the receiving end of a counterattacking pass from Ottus Feliciano.

Puerto Rico widened the gap in the 52nd and 56th minute when Manuel Colon and Ottus Feliciano got the ball pass goalkeeper Jorge Lopez. Leonidas Leiva scored for Guatemala in the last minute of the game. Both teams will face each other again tomorrow to play for the bronze medal.

GUY 2 vs JAM 3

With both teams already through to the finals, there was not much to lose, but they played hard and fast from beginning to end. Jamaica’s George McGlashen scored the first goal of the game in the 4th minute. Guyana had chances to equalize before the half time break, but the efforts of Meshach Sargeant, Aroydy Branford went wide of goal.

The teams returned to the second half with intense action. Kemar Gobern dove onto a pass in the D from Andre Gardener to give the hosts a 2 nil lead. Guyana’s Jamarj Assanah hits one pass goalkeeper Giovanni Green in the 48th minute and a minute later Aroydy Branford equalized from a penalty stroke. Duvaughn Henlon responded in the 51st minute with a penalty corner goal to put Jamaica back on top.

Both teams will battle again tomorrow in the finals.

Pan American Hockey Federation media release

Jamaica, Guyana to battle for hockey titles

Kishawn White of Jamaica (right) dribbles with the ball as Guyana's Meshach Sargeant chases him during their CAC Games hockey qualifying match at the Jamaica National Hockey Field in Mona yesterday. (Photo: Karl McLarty)

HOSTS Jamaica and Guyana will face each other in the men's and women's finals of the CAC Games hockey qualifiers at the Jamaica National (JN) Hockey Field at Mona today.

Jamaica's women will take on Guyana at 2:45 pm, while Jamaica's men's will take on Guyanese at 5:00 pm.

Both Jamaica teams topped their respective categories and have also qualified for the CAC Games next year.

Jamaica's men finished on top of the points standings with 12 points, conceding one goal, while Guyana finished with nine points, followed by Puerto Rico on six points.

The Jamaican females completed their preliminary round of matches with 12 points, trailed by Guyana on nine points and Bermuda on seven.

In the men's game yesterday, Jamaica defeated Guyana 3-2 in a hard-fought match through goals from George McGlashen in the fourth minute, Kemar Gobern (41st), and Duvaughn Henlon i(51st), while Guyana's goals were scored by Jamar Assanah (48th) and Ariyon Branford in the 51st minute.

In the women's match, Jamaica, through a fifth-minute goal from Tihanna Booth, carved out a 1-0 win over Bermuda.

In anther match yesterday, Puerto Rico crushed Panama 11-0 in the women's action.

Jamaica Observer

2017 CAC Games Qualifier (W)

PUR v PAN 11 - 0
JAM v BER 1 - 0

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Jamaica 5 4 1 0 12 0 12 13
2 Guyana 5 3 2 0 12 0 12 11
3 Puerto Rico 5 2 2 1 15 2 13 8
4 Bermuda 5 2 1 2 8 4 4 7
5 Guatemala 5 1 0 4 1 17 -16 3
6 Panama 5 0 0 5 0 25 -25 0

FIH Match Centre


Undefeated Jamaica and Guyana to meet again in finals of the CAC Qualifiers. Puerto Rico scores 11 goals.

Guyana and Jamaica secures top spots. Puerto Rico gets big victory over Panama.

Qualifiers for the Central American and Caribbean Games - Jamaica vs Guyana. Photo Jevon Wiliams

GUY 3 vs GUA 0.

The cloudy morning of Day 5 started off with Guyana facing Guatemala to come away with maximum points and claim one of the top two spots. Guatemala’s Sandra Sis and Jessica Espino were strong and courageous in the defence, but Guyana was unstoppable.

The first goal came from Tamala Glenn who tipped in a pass from Gabriella Xavier. Marzana Fiedtkou made it 2-0 when she found goal from a penalty stroke and Aliyah Gordon closed off the scoring in the 55th minute.

This win puts Guyana on 11 points to march into the finals.

PUR 11 vs PAN 0

Puerto Rico came out hard at Panama to end their day with an 11-0 victory. The Panamanians did a great job keeping them out of goal for the first 20 minute with help of Celina Portugal in the defence.

In the 21st minute Josefina Freaney kick-started the scoring and went ahead to get a hat trick. Marisa Miro got her name on the scoresheet in the 30th minute, for the first time in the CAC Qualifiers and struck goal three times after.

The other goal scorers were Nicole Bachelet, Arielle Rodriguez, Genesis Pacheco and Lyneiska Leon.

JAM 1 vs BER 0

The final female game in the preliminary round saw Jamaica going up against the Bermudans who needed to score at least 7 goals in order to qualify for the CAC Games in Columbia next year. Bermuda was dominant throughout the first 5 minutes of the game, but the Jamaican slowly took control. Krystal Holgate scored the lone goal of the contest in the 11th minute of the game from a penalty corner.

The second half was evenly contested by both teams, who created a number of chances, but none were able to get inside the goal. The win puts Jamaica at the top of the table with Guyana who they will play against in finals tomorrow.

Pan American Hockey Federation media release

2017 Melbourne 4 Nations (M) - Finals

11 Nov 2017
NZL v PAK 3 - 2
AUS v JPN 6 - 1

12 Nov 2017
Bronze Medal JPN v PAK 2 - 1
Gold Medal AUS v NZL 2 - 1

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Australia 3 3 0 0 19 3 16 9
2 New Zealand 3 1 1 1 5 7 -2 4
3 Japan 3 1 1 1 5 8 -3 4
4 Pakistan 3 0 0 3 4 15 -11 0

FIH Match Centre

Kookaburras Cruise Into IFOH Final With Big Win

Ben Somerford

The Kookaburras have taken form into Sunday’s International Festival of Hockey Final with a comprehensive 6-1 victory over Japan on Saturday night at Melbourne’s State Netball and Hockey Centre.

Blake Govers scored a double, while Daniel Beale, Jeremy Hayward, Josh Pollard and Tom Wickham all netted singles in the win which made it three wins from three group games for Australia.

Australia had already clinched their spot in Sunday’s decider, but the identity of their opponent was to be determined by the result, with Japan missing out by a goal, after New Zealand’s 3-2 win over Pakistan earlier in the day.

Speaking about the Final, Pollard said: “We’ve played them four times in the last six days.

“They’re a quality side, we’ll do our research, get out there and put our structures in place. Hopefully we’ll come home with the goods.”

Beale opened the scoring in the ninth minute with a powerful finish from close range, before Govers doubled Australia's advantage seconds later from a penalty corner.

Hayward rocketed home from a second quarter penalty corner with Pollard tapping home from close range to stretch the lead to 4-0 at the main break.

Wickham and Govers added further goals in the third period, before Hirotaka Zendana scored from a penalty corner moments before the final break.

Japan searched for the goal which would've sent them through to the Final on goals scored ahead of the Black Sticks but they couldn't find the breakthrough.

Hockey Australia media release

Vantage Black Sticks through to final in Melbourne

Photo: Grant Treeby

A late penalty corner strike has lifted the Vantage Black Sticks Men to a 3-2 win against Pakistan in Melbourne.

New Zealand’s win, along with Australia’s 6-1 result over Japan, has secured the Kiwis a spot in the International Festival of Hockey gold medal match against the Kookaburras at 8:30pm tomorrow (NZ time).

Pakistan opened the scoring in the sixth minute before Hayden Phillips netted from the field in the second half to set up a 1-1 scoreline at the halftime break.

A penalty stroke midway through the third quarter allowed Pakistan to take the lead but George Muir equalised for the Kiwis just two minutes later.

With just three minutes on the clock and the goalkeeper substituted, the Black Sticks earned a penalty corner with Marcus Child pouncing on the deflection to give his side an impressive victory.

Assistant coach Bryce Collins said it was pleasing to come away with a win after what was a tough and physical match.

“We put together some good patches of hockey although it was tough going against a solid Pakistan side,” he said.

“Pakistan were better than they have been earlier in the tournament but we managed to press them well and get some good counter attacking from that.

“We look forward to finishing with a good performance tomorrow to finish the year off positively.”

Sunday’s bronze and gold medal matches at the International Festival of Hockey will be broadcast live on SKY Sport.

VANTAGE BLACK STICKS: 3 (Hayden Phillips, George Muir, Marcus Child)
PAKISTAN: 2 (Muhammad Umar Bhutta, Ammad Shakeel Butt)
Halftime: 1-1

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Pakistan complete hat-trick of defeats in Festival Hockey

MELBOURNE - Pakistan hockey team were beaten 3-2 Saturday by New Zealand even after they performed better than their opponents in the first half of the match during their last International Festival of Hockey match in Melbourne and Bendigo.

Australia have taken form into Sunday’s final with a comprehensive 6-1 victory over Japan. Blake Govers scored a double, while Daniel Beale, Jeremy Hayward, Josh Pollard and Tom Wickham all netted singles in the win which made it three wins from three group games for Australia.

Australia had already clinched their spot in Sunday’s decider, but the identity of their opponent was to be determined by the result, with Japan missing out by a goal, after New Zealand’s 3-2 win over Pakistan earlier in the day.

Pakistan opened the scoring with M Umar Bhutta in the sixth minute of the first quarter as he converted a penalty corner.

Twelve minutes later, in the second quarter, Hayden Phillips completed New Zealand’s move across the field and brought his team on equal terms against Pakistan in the 18th minute.

Ammad Shakeel Butt then helped Pakistan take the lead once again as he pushed the ball into the net courtesy a penalty stroke, just five minutes after the half-time in the 35th minute.

It took New Zealand only two minutes to end the deficit and come on level terms after George Muir netted through a field goal in the 37th minute.

No team were able to score after in the next 20 minutes, but New Zealand, who were now playing without a goalkeeper and with 11 field players, earned a penalty corner and converted it in the 57th minute to end match with a scoreline of 3-2.

“We are not happy with our performance,” lamented Pakistan captain M Irfan. “We could have performed better than we did. Although we played better against New Zealand as compared to the first two matches, but overall, I am not satisfied.” He then revealed the problem that he identified as the main reason for Pakistan’s defeats .

“We are having trouble in creating a good team combination,” he explained. “Right now our combination is not working at all. The new players in the team are not able to follow the flow of the team which affects our forward moves; they are either broken down in the middle or finish without any success.”

Irfan continued that the team will try its best to beat Japan in the third-fourth placement match. “In the third place match we will try our best to overcome Japan and show that playing matches together as a unit does improve individual and team performances,” he said.

Beale opened the scoring for Australia in the ninth minute with a powerful finish from close range, before Govers doubled Australia's advantage seconds later from a penalty corner.

Hayward rocketed home from a second quarter penalty corner with Pollard tapping home from close range to stretch the lead to 4-0 at the main break.

Wickham and Govers added further goals in the third period, before Hirotaka Zendana scored from a penalty corner moments before the final break.

Japan searched for the goal which would've sent them through to the Final on goals scored ahead of the Black Sticks but they couldn't find the breakthrough.

The Nation

Pakistan’s winless run continues in Melbourne

MELBOURNE: Pakistan continued their disastrous run in the four-nation international hokey festival in Australia, suffering their third successive defeat as New Zealand beat them 3-2 at the State Netball Hockey Centre here on Saturday.

After two poor defeats, Pakistan displayed a far better brand of hockey in their last league match against New Zealand, ranked five places higher.

Australia routed Pakistan 9-1 in the opening match -- the green-shirts’ worst-ever defeat in international hockey. Then Japan added to the misery of the former four-time world champions who were shocked 1-3.

The green-shirts were already out of contention for the gold medal match while New Zealand had everything to play for. Win was the minimum requirement to remain in the race for the decider.

Twice, Pakistan went ahead via penalty corner and penalty stroke. Each time, they conceded the equaliser via sloppy defending. Finally, New Zealand, who had replaced the goalkeeper with an outfield player found the winner with just three minutes left, through their only penalty-corner conversion of the day.

Pakistan had more of the possession in the first quarter.

However, New Zealand had the first penalty corner of the day courtesy an unforced error by skipper Mohammad Irfan. A good rush resulted in a swift counter attack which culminated in the penalty corner at the other end.

The New Zealand goalkeeper was called into action thrice in succession. Off the third rebound, Umar Bhutta, who had injected the penalty corner, slotted in from a close range.

If Pakistan were better during the initial 15 minutes, New Zealand saw more of the play in the second quarter. They equalised through an Immad Butt blunder. A New Zealand attack saw the ball apparently well in control of Butt in the mid circle; only to be beautifully stolen by Hayden Phillips who then easily put it in. It was 1-1 at half time.

After the net minder, goalkeeper Amjad Ali made two brilliant saves off New Zealand’s second penalty corner, Pakistan got a penalty corner off their own. The rebound hit a defender’s body on the line resulting in a penalty stroke. Immad Butt’s fast and well directed flick found the right inside netting of the goal.

New Zealand again made it all even within three minutes.

A long ball surprisingly reached an unmarked George Muir well inside the circle. His first attempt was well saved by Amjad who had closed in but Muir neatly availed the rebound.

Fast up and down stuff ensued and both the goalkeepers were called upon a few times.

The fierce battle to get the winner continued in the last quarter and there were open play chances for either side.

Amjad made an outstanding double save to see off New Zealand’s third penalty corner.

Pakistan also couldn’t make their third penalty corner count as the two touch indirect drill failed.

New Zealand, desperately looking for the winner, now had 11 out field players. It paid as they had their fourth penalty corner in the 57th minute. It hit rusher’s foot but the umpire waved an advantage. Ball reached Marcus Child near the goal, and he first timed to get the winner (which eventually carried them into the final).

In the last couple of minutes, Pakistan twice came close to scoring via long balls into the scoring zone. First Ajaz and then Umar Bhutta, failed to get their sticks on the ball.

Meanwhile, Australia demolished Japan 6-1 to finish with perfect nine points.

On Sunday, Australia face New Zealand in the final while Pakistan play Japan in the third-place match.


Kookaburras Claim International Festival Of Hockey Crown

Ben Somerford

The Kookaburras have backed up last month’s Oceania Cup triumph by defeating New Zealand 2-1 to claim the International Festival of Hockey title at Melbourne’s State Netball and Hockey Centre on Sunday night.

Jake Whetton and Blake Govers scored the goals as the Kookas defeated the Black Sticks for the sixth consecutive time, although George Muir’s 49th minute goal ensured a tense conclusion.

The second-ranked Kookaburras had to wait until late in the first half to break the deadlock with Whetton powering home a reverse stick effort in the 30th minute.

Govers doubled Australia’s advantage with a trademark drag flick into the back of the net from a 38th minute penalty corner.

New Zealand heaped on the pressure in the final quarter, with Muir scoring, before captain Jared Panchia hit the post.

Post-game Whetton said: "They came out Teally tough. They showed why they're such a good team.

"We knew they were going to come at the last bit and it was a good disciplined effort by the boys to stay 2-1 up."

Whetton added: "We're off to India in about two weeks' time, so we're really looking forward to getting over there.

"We'll see where we're at as a group, we're looking to get over there and put in a good performance."

Hockey Australia media release

Vantage Black Sticks runners up in Melbourne

Photo: www.photosport.nz

The Vantage Black Sticks Men have finished second at the International Festival of Hockey in Melbourne after being edged 2-1 by hosts Australia in the final.

New Zealand played well through large patches of the game but weren’t able to stop the world number two ranked Kookaburras finding the back of the net.

Australia opened the scoring right on the stroke of halftime when Jake Whetton slipped a ball past goalkeeper Richard Joyce.

Blake Govers doubled his side’s lead midway through the third quarter after ripping a penalty corner drag flick into the roof of the net.

The Black Sticks kept themselves in the game when George Muir scored an opportune field goal in the 49th minute to reduce the deficit.

The Kiwis continued to press hard and mount pressure on the Kookaburras over the final 10 minutes but couldn’t find an equalising strike.

Vantage Black Sticks captain Arun Panchia was pleased with the effort from his side despite the final result.

“We’re pleased with our progress throughout the tournament and played one of our better games here tonight against Australia,” he said.

“It was good to put together a performance like that in the final. We knew Australia would create chances but we defended our circle well and held them out well for most of the match.

“It was a great game but we’re definitely disappointed with the final result and we have plenty to work on going forward.”

AUSTRALIA: 2 (Jake Whetton, Blake Govers)
Halftime: Australia 1-0

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Black Sticks pipped by Australia in Melbourne final despite late rally

George Muir made the scoresheet for New Zealand but it wasn't enough in a 2-1 defeat to Australia in Melbourne. PHOTOSPORT

A George Muir goal and a late fightback couldn't get the Black Sticks men past their nemesis Australia in the International Festival of Hockey final in Melbourne.

Three days after they suffered a 4-1 loss to Australia, New Zealand competed much better but went down 2-1 in the four nations tournament decider on Sunday.

Goals to Australian players Jake Whetton and Blake Govers saw the hosts go 2-0 up before a late rally from the men in black in the final quarter.

Muir scored with 11 minutes left when he latched onto some good leadup work from Hayden Phillips to give them hope.

Several late raids weren't enough to draw level as New Zealand earned four penalty corners to Australia's three for the match, and made 15 shots on goal to the hosts' 24.

New Zealand made it to the gold medal match thanks to a 3-2 win against Pakistan on Saturday.

A deflection from a penalty corner by Marcus Child with three minutes remaining sealed an impressive victory.


Pakistan finish fourth after 1-2 loss to Japan

Pakistan ended with the wooden spoon at the 4-Nation International Festival of Hockey at Melbourne's State Netball Hockey Centre.

In the 3rd place match, Japan came from behind to defeat the Green Shirts 2-1.

The match started at an electric pace with three shots on the goal within the first four minutes.

Japan had a penalty corner in the first minute thanks to skipper M.Irfan's mistake. Goal Keeper Amjad dived to his right to block the low hard flick.

Atiq Arshad after receiving a ball on the left side of the circle shot straight at the Japanese net minder on the near post.

Next, another Pakistani defensive lapse led to an easy chance at the top of the striking zone but Yamada inexplicably shot it over the bar.

Next chance came to Pakistan in the 13th minute and they went ahead.
A crash ball from right reached Ajaz on the far side of the circle and he fired it in the small gap between the goal keeper and the near post.

Pakistan's joy was short lived. Very next minute, Brilliant Tanaka, who had a brace in Japan's 3-1 win over the same rivals in the league stage, equalised with one of the goals of this festival.

After covering good ground, he beautifully side stepped M.Irfan to enter the circle and with a back hander found the top left corner of the goal.

Japan had another open play opportunity as well as a PC but it stood 1-1 after the first quarter.

Fast pole to pole game continued in the next 15 minutes with both the sides enjoying periods of ascendancy. Japan had more opportunities but the scoreline remained intact.

Half Time:  1-1

In the third quarter, Pakistan had three good chances to score. Bhutta fumbled twice at the top of the circle. Shajeeh's attempt hit the side netting.

Again, the Japanese held the upper hand.Apart from open play opportunities, they had four penalty corners including three in a row but Amjad continued with his wonderful display under the bar in this tournament.

It was all to play for in the last period.

Finally a penalty corner arrived for Pakistan; first in two game against Japan.

The ball rebounded thrice off the custodian's pads, and they had their second PC.

This time the attempt off the rebound hit the side netting.

To find the winner, Pakistani captain M.Irfan threw himself up in the attack, and he was instrumental in a couple of circle penetrations. But the team was made to pay for his adventure.

With just three minutes left, Murata got all the time at the right edge of the circle. He sounded the far side of the board with a well placed hit.

Pakistan got a golden chance to put it even via their third PC.

But Irfan's flick was declared dangerous as it hit the body of the rusher.

It was a well deserved win for Japan.

Pakistan: Ajaz Ahmed (13')
Japan: Kenta Tanaka (14') and Kazuma Murata (57')

PHF Media release


2017 Melbourne 4 Nations (W) - Finals

11 Nov 2017
NED v USA 6 - 1
AUS v JPN 2 - 3

12 Nov 2017
Bronze Medal AUS v USA 5 - 0
Gold Medal NED v JPN 5 - 0

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Netherlands 3 3 0 0 14 2 12 9
2 Japan 3 1 1 1 4 8 -4 4
3 Australia 3 1 0 2 5 7 -2 3
4 United States 3 0 1 2 3 9 -6 1

FIH Match Centre

Hockeyroos Miss IFOH Final After Japan Loss

Ben Somerford

The Hockeyroos have missed out on qualifying for the International Festival of Hockey Final after a 3-2 loss to Japan at Melbourne’s State Netball and Hockey Centre on Saturday afternoon.

Relative newcomer Savannah Fitzpatrick scored a double for Australia who were never in front in a game where they needed to avoid defeat to clinch their spot in the final against world number one Netherlands.

Australia couldn’t re-produce Thursday night’s heroics when they fought back from 2-0 down to defeat the United States 3-2.

The result means the Hockeyroos will face USA in the third place match from 1.15pm AEDT on Sunday.

Post-game Fitzpatrick reflected: “We need to have a better start than in the round games. We were slow to start in the first quarter, we need to start harder and score early.”

Yuri Nagai put the visitors ahead in the third minute, but Fitzpatrick levelled barely a minute later after forcing the ball home from a rebound.

Japanese sharp-shooter Kana Nomura put the visitors ahead again with a fine shot from an 18th minute penalty corner.

Chances were few and far between for the Hockeyroos, with Maddy Fitzpatrick coming close from a penalty corner, while Brooke Peris was denied by Japan goalkeeper Megumi Kageyama.

Savannah Fitzpatrick eventually equalised when she diverted a low ball home in the 56th minute, but Nomura struck again from a penalty corner two minutes later to win it.

Hockey Australia media release

The Netherlands Prowess Unmatchable as USWNT Falls at IFOH

MELBOURNE, Australia – Facing off against the FIH Hero World Ranked No. 1 women’s team, the No. 7 U.S. Women’s National Team knew they had to take care of each possession and defend strongly to limit chances for The Netherlands at the International Festival of Hockey (IFOH). The Dutch’s quick ball movement deemed unmatchable for USA as The Netherlands went on to win 6-1. The victory placed the Dutch in the IFOH gold medal match moving the USWNT into the third-place game.

Putting on immense pressure from the start, The Netherlands tested the USWNT’s defense early and collected turnovers in the middle of the field that they punished forward. The first scoring opportunity for The Netherlands came in the 6th minute as the ball crossed the goalmouth with no attacker home. A minute later a good passing combination between Dutch strikers finished with a hard sweep on goal but Alesha Widdall (Whitney Point, N.Y.) came out, to make the save. Widdall was tested further with a few more shots before Laurien Leurink stole the ball in the middle of the field, took it deep and swept it into the roof of the net giving The Netherlands a 1-0 lead.

The attacking pressure continued from The Netherlands in the second quarter as unforced turnovers by USA gave their opponents positive possession. The Dutch earned a penalty corner in the 19th minute that Ireen van den Assem successfully converted to take the 2-0 lead. USA grabbed their first shot of the match three minutes later but The Netherlands, with poise, took control to the other end challenging USA’s defense. Kelly Jonker tallied another goal for the Dutch in the 28th minute after working hard to beat two USA defenders. Fighting back, USA earned a penalty corner a minute later where Kathleen Sharkey’s (Moosic, Pa.) hard strike was deflected in by inserter Caitlin Van Sickle (Wilmington, Del.) to cut the goal margin. The halftime score stood at USA 1, The Netherlands 3.

Eager to narrow the goal gap, USA came out with a strong press on The Netherlands’ defense. Each USA circle penetration was met by a Dutch defender who dispossessed the play. For both teams, a lot of ball continued to be played through the midfield but it was the Dutch who managed majority of the momentum. A near chance came for The Netherlands when a shot dinged off the post, but staying persistent a midfield pickup finished with another goal by Leurink. Two minutes following, The Netherlands’ van den Assem powerfully executed a penalty corner to make it USA 1, The Netherlands 5. Glimmers of hope came for USA in the remaining minutes of the third quarter, but they struggled to successfully break into their attacking circle.

The opening minute of the fourth quarter saw Widdall make two impressive glove saves that lead to a Dutch penalty corner. Uncharacteristic marking by USA led to another Dutch goal coming from a low backhand by Frederique Matla. USA remained on the defensive side for a period of time, as Widdall absorbed more Dutch shots. USA fought until the end working it into their attacking circle but were unable to translate the effort.

A precursor of what is to come at the FIH Sentinel Homes Hockey World League Final, USA and The Netherlands are in the same pool and will face each other the second day of competition.

The U.S. Women’s National Team will play in the bronze medal match today, Saturday, November 11 at 9:15 p.m. ET against Australia.

USFHA media release

Hockeyroos Onslaught Clinches IFOH Third Spot

Ben Somerford

The Hockeyroos have secured third place at the International Festival of Hockey after a four-goal third-quarter onslaught led them to a 5-0 win over the United States on Sunday afternoon.

Brooke Peris finished with a double in the emphatic win which rounds out the Hockeyroos’ festival with two wins and two losses, ahead of next week’s Test series against Japan in Adelaide.

Peris scored her brace in the third quarter, also providing an assist for skipper Emily Smith as Australia improved their 1-0 half-time lead in rapid style.

Amanda Madagan’s own goal from Madi Ratcliffe’s ball split the sides at the main break, before Peris’ double and goals also from Smith and Steph Kershaw.

Midfielder Jane Claxton said the Hockeyroos were determined to get the win after missing the Final after Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Japan.

“I think it was a bit of determination. We lost badly yesterday. We got outplayed,” she said.

“Today we wanted to prove ourselves and to the rest of the world that we can mix it with a top 10 in the world.

“We don’t have World League coming up, but we do have the Japan series, so we wanted a good result leading into that to give us some confidence and get some goals on the board.”

The Hockeyroos will fly to Adelaide on Monday before their opening game of the series against Japan on Wednesday from 7pm local time.

Hockey Australia media release

Australia Sails Past USWNT in IFOH Bronze Tilt

MELBOURNE, Australia – It was the second matchup in as many days for the FIH Hero World Ranked No. 7  U.S. Women’s National Team versus host nation No. 4 Australia in the International Festival of Hockey (IFOH). The Hockeyroos would not be denied in the bronze medal match however, as a huge third quarter propelled them past the USWNT by a final of 5-0.

Similar to their first meeting in round robin play, Australia pressed early and often, forcing USA on the defense most of the contest.

Both squads showed conservatism to open the match playing a slower, steadier strategy while in possession, before the pace was broken about five minutes in. From there it was Australia that forced a turnover and shot on net in the fifth minute, where Alesha Widdall (Whitney Point, N.Y.) made the early save. The Hockeyroos were swift in their offensive press, challenging Widdall and USA’s defense multiple times in the opening minutes. On the other end, USA had chances inside the circle while working along both sides of the net, including a charge in front of the net by Casey Di Nardo (Virginia Beach, Va.), but was denied on the goal line. It would be the only shot on net in the half for the red, white and blue.

USA kept the Australia attack at bay to open the second quarter, but struggled to maintain possession for long. When Australia challenged, the host nation utilized open space between defenders. That strategy nearly prevailed in the 23rd minute in a goalmouth scramble attempt, but the ball ultimately went just wide of the USA net. Back the other way Di Nardo’s stick work kept the ball in bounds on the near sideline, keeping the play alive to set up an eventual free hit, but to no avail. With time running down in the half, Australia threatened once again in the 29th minute. A pass by Madi Ratliffe was inadvertently deflected off the body of Amanda Magadan (Randolph, N.J.). As the horn sounded, it was Australia’s tenth shot on net of the half that proved true.

The Hockeyroos’ late opening score sparked a fleury to open the third quarter with back-to-back scores within 30 seconds of each other. USA got an opportunity to narrow the gap in the 35th minute with the game’s first penalty corner, but sailed wide of the net on the attempt. Australia meanwhile continued their momentum in front of the USA net with additional scores in the 38th and 41st minute to make it a 5-0 game. In the final stanza, USA’s opportunities on offense were still scarce as Australia controlled the flow of the game as the clock winded down and the celebrations began.

With the IFOH concluded, the U.S. Women’s National Team turns focus to the FIH Sentinel Homes Hockey World League Final in Auckland, New Zealand November 17-26.

USFHA media release

Defending champions Argentina seek to end the year on a high

Argentina's Delfina Merino is looking for back to back title wins at the Hockey World League Photo:FIH/Getty

Argentina go to Auckland for the Sentinel Homes Hockey World League Final as defending champions and their mercurial striker Delfina Merino is hoping that Las Leonas end their year on a high by repeating their 2015 success.

“The Hockey World League is really important because the best teams play there,” says Merino. “It is similar in format to the Champions Trophy and I love the Champions Trophy. You get to play a lot of very important games against really top opposition in a 10 day period. We are also looking forward to these finals because we have great memories of the 2015 Final in Rosario.”

And, she added with a wry smile. “We do need to finish our year in a better way.”

This last comment is in reference to the past few results at major internationals: a seventh place finish at the Rio Olympics and a fourth place finish at the Hockey World League Semi-Finals in Johannesburg, plus a slide down the world ranking from second to third – these are unfamiliar territories for Las Leonas and something the team is working hard to change.

“We left the Hockey World League Semi-Finals in South Africa and went straight into a very rigorous training schedule, says Merino, who finished joint second among the scorers in South Africa.

The rigour of the Argentina training schedule is no exaggeration. The squad has been in full-time training Monday to Friday since July, with training twice a day for the first three days, then additional training in the evening with their own clubs on Thursday and a club match on Saturday. As Merino says: “This is the way we feel we can go to the Hockey World League Final best prepared.”

“There is a lot of history between us and Holland and every time we play them there is a different challenge. They are a great side and always bring something different."
Delfina Merino, Argentina

The team also notched up a win against the USA in the recent Pan American Cup, which took place in Pennsylvania, USA. It was a win that not only gave Argentina bragging rights but did a lot to restore confidence within the squad.

“Playing USA is always difficult, they are a strong team, very physical and difficult to play against,” says the striker. “In their coach, Janneke Schopman, they have really good coach. We have a young and growing team so it was good for us to beat them in the Pan American Cup final.”

As with all teams that will be competing in Auckland, the past 18 months have been a time for change and reflection. Merino says a lot of young players have joined Las Leonas from the junior national side and, although they arrive on the back of a winning Junior World Cup display, there is still a huge jump from junior to senior level. But, she says: “They are very talented players and they bring a lot of energy. Now it is a case of combining the younger and older players both on and off the pitch. That is a process that can’t be rushed but we are all putting our energy into it.”

For Merino, the forthcoming trip to Auckland will be a special one. Not only does she love the event itself and the challenges it offers but the player’s parents are also travelling to watch her games and then they will spend some family time enjoying the New Zealand culture and way of life.

“I have been been eight times myself and I think it is an amazing country with a fantastic culture and amazing beaches. Sure, we will have some jet lag but we arrive a week early so we have time to adjust.”

When it comes to the opposition, Merino is relishing another encounter with the Netherlands. Having played club hockey in Holland, she has a lot of friends in the Netherlands national team but this will pose no problem once the national anthems have been sung and the teams line up for action.

“There is a lot of history between us and Holland and every time we play them there is a different challenge. They are a great side and always bring something different. That makes it exciting. I am looking forward to playing on the same field as a lot of my friends but wearing a different shirt.”

Argentina are in pool B with China, England and Germany. Their first match will be against China on 18 November at 14:00pm.

Follow all the action from the Sentinel Homes Hockey World League Final Auckland 2017 by using #HWL2017.

FIH site

Beeston beat East Grinstead in Men's Premier Division

Beeston scorer Marius Gemmel. Credit David Kissman

Beeston remain just two points behind leaders Surbiton after a 5-2 home victory over East Grinstead in the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division on Saturday.

Beeston were second and East Grinstead third going into this round of games and it was the hosts who struck first through Marius Gemmel’s 29th minute penalty corner.

Gareth Andrew doubled Beeston’s lead with a wonderful reverse stick volley just before the break and it was three when Sam Ward found the top corner from a penalty stroke seven minutes after the restart.

Gareth Griffiths scored 12 minutes later to put the game beyond doubt before Liam Ansell pulled one back for the visitors.

Gemmel (pictured) grabbed his second less than a minute later before Simon Faulkner’s consolation for East Grinstead rounded of the scoring/

Surbiton stay top but were made to work hard for the three points after a 5-3 home win over Reading.

Ed Carson opened the scoring for the visitors after ten minutes but the leaders took control from there, Alan Forsyth netting twice to become the division’s leading marksman with 12 goals, while David Goodfield and Luke Taylor were on target to make it 4-1.

Reading fought back, James Carson and Ben Boon cutting the lead before Arjan Drayton Chana settled any nerves scoring a fifth for Surbiton in the last minute.

Holcombe moved third after a 3-0 victory at home to Brooklands MU. Robert Field and Daniel Edwards put the hosts two up at half time before Barry Middleton completed the scoring on 44 minutes.

Hampstead & Westminster ran out convincing 6-1 winners over Sevenoaks.

Josh Kelly scored twice with Rupert Shipperley, Harry Martin, Matt Guise-Brown and Michael Watt all on the scoresheet, Andrew Ross pulling one back for the visitors.

Meanwhile, Wimbledon made it three consecutive wins after a 2-1 home victory over bottom side Canterbury.

Ed Horler and Simon Mantell scored for the hosts with Michal Nowakowski last minute penalty corner proving to be just a consolation for Canterbury.

Men’s Conference North

Bowdon’s 4-2 win over visitors Preston was enough for them to leapfrog former leaders the University of Nottingham in the Men’s Conference North.

Goals from Daniel Campbell, Oliver Stoddart, Ben White and Thomas Ainsworth gave Bowdon a crucial win, and they are now level on points with Nottingham who lost 2-1 at the University of Durham, Rory Patterson and Elliot Dowley scoring for the North East side.

Loughborough Students are fourth - just one point off the top of the table – after winning 4-0 against Cannock. Murray Collins scored two, with Matthew Ramshaw and Tom Crowson scoring the others.

Elsewhere Sheffield Hallam secured a 3-2 win at Leeds to climb off the bottom of the table, while Doncaster won 2-0 at home against Deeside Ramblers.

Men’s Conference East

Cambridge City went top of the Men’s Conference East after an impressive second half showing helped them to a 4-2 win at former leaders Southgate.

A brace from Euan Gilmour saw his impressive tally for the season move to 13, whilst Scott Perry and Brennan Alexander Parker were both on target for the visitors.

Oxted moved second after a 4-0 win over Old Loughtonians, Sam Driver and Chris Webster amongst the scorers.

A James Tindall double helped Old Georgians to a 3-1 win over Chichester, whilst Richmond came from behind twice to win 3-2 at Brighton & Hove, Jordan Hussell scoring two.

Meanwhile West Herts remain without a league point after a 7-2 loss at Teddington, Tim Davenport with a pair of goals for the hosts.

Men’s Conference West

Two goals each from Ed Matts and Conor Caplan helped the University of Exeter maintain their great start to the season in the Men’s Conference West.

The pair both scored in the first half at Clifton Robinsons, and then scored again after the break. With Ben Cooke also on the scoresheet, they won 5-0 and extended their lead to four points at the top of the table.

Second-placed Cardiff & Met were on track to beat third-placed University of Birmingham – but they conceded a last-minute goal and had to settle for a 2-2 draw.

Elsewhere, Olton and West Warwickshire and Fareham battled out a thrilling 4-4 draw with Tom Mallett scoring twice for Olton, while Martin Gough similarly scored two goals for Fareham.

Goals from Muhammad Arshad and Matthew Cox helped Havant to a 2-1 win over visitors Cheltenham, while Isca and Team Bath Buccaneers drew 1-1.

* Full results, tables and fixtures from the Men’s Hockey League are available here - http://www.englandhockey.co.uk/page_noside.asp?section=2343§ionTitle=Fixtures%2C+Results+%26+Standings

England Hockey Board Media release

Faizal powers Terengganu into final against Perak

By S. Ramaguru

Out of the way: Perak’s Mohd Haziq Shamsul (left) dribbling past a Melaka player during their Razak Cup semi-final match at the Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh yesterday.

IPOH: National forward Faizal Saari has single-handedly steered Terengganu into the final of the Razak Cup hockey tournament against hosts Perak today.

Faizal scored two quick goals in defending champions Terengganu’s 2-1 come-from behind win over Negri Sembilan at the Azlan Shah Stadium yesterday.

The Terengganu hitman was on target in the 42nd and 45th minutes after Negri had taken the lead through Dangerous Lee.

The other semi-final between Perak and Melaka went all the way to a 2-1 sudden-death penalty shootout after both teams failed to break the 0-0 deadlock in regulation time.

Both teams were atrocious in the shootout as each converted just once from the mandatory five attempts.

Perak managed to convert through Mohd Haziq Shamsul while Melaka scored through Mohd Ashraff Zuhry.

In the sudden-death shootout, Haziq converted his while Dedy Ariyadi missed for Melaka.

This will be Perak’s sixth final in 11 years. They were champions in 2013 and 2014 but los the 2015 final 1-0 to Melaka.

Perak coach Mohd Nizam Hashim said that they made heavy weather of the match because “our forwards just couldn’t score”.

“We had so many chances and we even controlled most of the match. It was one of those days when everything just didn’t work for us.

“Luckily we prevailed in the shootout,” said Nizam, who is handling the Razak Cup team for the first time.

Nizam expects the final to be a different game and said that he would make changes to his line-up.

“We have one injury. Midfielder Mohd Ashran Hamsani pulled a hamstring and will not play in the final,” he said.

Earlier, last year’s runners-up Police were demoted to Division Two for the 2018 edition.

Johor made sure they retained their Division One place when they won the penalty shootout against Police 3-1 to finish in seventh spot. The teams were tied 3-3 in regulation time.

Selangor and Perlis will meet in the Division Two final today and the winner will be promoted.

The Star of Malaysia

Police to opt out of MHL next year

IPOH: Police will not take part in next year’s Malaysia Hockey League (MHL).

The Division Two champions and runners-up Nurinsafi have won promotion to the Premier Division next year.

The MHL is expected to start on Jan 6 and end on Feb 10.

Police’s decision has nothing to do with the shortened MHL calendar. They are afraid that they may not be able to match the big teams and end up as whipping boys.

“The MHL next year will see quality foreign players taking part. We cannot match the teams with foreign players. Our players are all locals,” said Police Hockey Association president ACP S. Batumalai.

“We have informed the Malaysia Hockey Confederation (MHC) competitions committee of our decision.”

The MHC hope to have a 10-team Premier Division next year, but only seven have confirmed so far.

They are Terengganu, Maybank, Tenaga Nasional, UniKL, TNB Thunderbolt, KLHC and Nurinsafi.

SSTMI Thunderbolt and UITM have not confirmed their participation.

This year eight teams competed in the Premier Division.

The Star of Malaysia

Police hit Nakuru, USIU put pressure on Telkom


USIU-A's Sandra Vodoti dribbles the ball during their Kenya Hockey Union Premier League match against Vikings at City Park Stadium on November 11, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Kenya Police maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a convincing 2-0 win over Nakuru away at the Greensteds grounds, Nakuru in a Kenya Hockey Union men's Premier League match.

Goals from Amos Barkibir and Kennedy Sibechwe fired the law enforcers to their 18th win of the season in 19 matches. The result moved them 55 points, 15 ahead of second-placed Greeensharks, who were due to face Western Jaguars Saturday evening at City Park Stadium.

Police scored two goals in a space of a minute to break the hosts' resistance. Police, the 2013 champions, scored the opening goal in the 46th minute as Barkibir slotted the ball past Nakuru Dennis Maketo.

A minute later, the law enforcers added their lead as swift counter attack was finished by Sibechwe and the visitors held on for the three points.

Police coach Kenneth Kaunda praised his charges' resilience.

"We never gave up and our tenacity won it for us in the end. This is a difficult place to win and we are pleased with the result," Kaunda added.

It was Police's first win at the grass surface in two years.

At the City Park Stadium in Nairobi, USIU Spartans secured a 2-0 over Vikings. Goals from Kenya internationals Rhoda Kuira and Sandra Vodoti gave the students the three points. The result moved Spartans to 34 points, two behind leaders and champions Telkom who play Sliders on Sunday.

Spartans skipper Beatrice Mbugua said their ambitions of a top two finish are on course.

"We were not as clinical as previous matches but we were able to get the goals and keep the pressure on the leaders," she said.

USIU-A's Beatrice Mbugua drives forward during their Kenya Hockey Union Premier League match against Vikings at City Park Stadium on November 11, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Sheila Nazi (left) of USIU-A vies for the ball with Eddel Barasa of Vikings during their Kenya Hockey Union Premier League match at City Park Stadium on November 11, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

USIU-A's Sandra Vodoti dribbles the ball during their Kenya Hockey Union Premier League match against Vikings at City Park Stadium on November 11, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |NATION MEDIA GROUP

It was Spartans' first match since the demise of midfielder Martha Masinde 12 days ago.

Strathmore University Scorpions remained in fourth place after a 5-0 win over Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (Jkuat) at the same venue earlier on.

Kenya internationals Gilly Okumu and Carol Njoki hit a brace each with Diana Akinyi adding another as Scorpions won bragging rights in the University derby.

Scorpions had to wait till a minute till the end of the first quarter to get the opener as Okumu fired home a field goal past Jkuat keeper Elizabeth Okama.

Gilly Okumu of Strathmore University Scorpions gestures during their Kenya Hockey Union women Premier League match against JKUAT at City Park Stadium on November 11, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Strathmore University Scorpions' Laurine Nyambura controls the ball during their Kenya Hockey Union women Premier League match against JKUAT at City Park Stadium on November 11, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Strathmore University Scorpions' Jane Muragu (left) shoots the ball under pressure from Sylvia Makumi of JKUAT during their Kenya Hockey Union women Premier League match at City Park Stadium on November 11, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

They however had to wait till the 49th minute to increase their lead as the Jkuat defence crumbled.

Daily Nation

UVA Field Hockey Season Ends with Loss to Princeton in NCAA Tournament

University of Virginia Media Release

Ryan McCarthy scored the game-winner in double overtime for Princeton
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 5 Virginia field hockey team (15-5) had its season come to an end with a 3-2 loss in double overtime to No. 11 Princeton (12-6) on Saturday (Nov. 11) in the first round of the 2017 NCAA Field Hockey Championship at University Hall Turf Field in Charlottesville, Va.

Princeton’s Ryan McCarthy scored the game-winner 8:13 into the second overtime.

The Tigers took an early lead, scoring a goal just two minutes into the contest, but first-half scores from junior Greta Ell (Plains, Pa.) and senior Tara Vittese (Cherry Hill, N.J.) gave UVA a 2-1 lead at the break. McCarthy tied the game by converting a penalty stroke with just under 13 minutes remaining in regulation.

Virginia outshot the Tigers 19-9 in the game, including a 3-1 advantage in the first overtime, but Princeton goalkeeper Grace Baylis made 10 saves to keep the Ivy League champions in the game.

“This was a tough loss,” said Virginia head coach Michele Madison. “The end of the season is always hard, but this was especially tough. We possessed the ball well and created many scoring opportunities today. We outshot them today by a wide margin, but the bottom line comes down to being able to put the ball into the goal. I want to commend my seniors. They did an amazing job this year. I wish them well.”

Princeton’s Elise Wong scored the first goal of the game, deflecting in a shot after the Tiger’s first goal of the game. Ell evened the score by smashing a shot into the upper corner of the net 16:15 into the game. Freshman Pien Dicke (Den Haag, Netherlands) picked up a steal and then set up a score by Vittese to give UVA a 2-1 lead.

The Cavaliers were called for a foul in front of the goal 22:38 into the second half. The team asked for a video review of the call, but the referees upheld the decision and McCarthy skied a shot into the net to tie the game.

Princeton’s Nicole Catalino picked up a yellow card with 10 seconds remaining in regulation, putting the Tigers a man down for the first 4:50 of overtime, but the defense withstood Virginia’s extra attacker. The Tigers took a shot off a penalty corner that went into the net with 2:52 remaining that was determined to be too high by the refs on the field. Princeton asked for a video review, with the potential game-winner on the line, but the call was upheld and the shot was ruled a no-goal and the two teams finished out the 15-minute bonus period still knotted at two.

In the second overtime, Dicke was issued a yellow card five minutes into the period, giving Princeton the extra man, but Maddie Bacskai was carded two minutes later, making it an even six-on-six situation. Sophie Tornetta passed a ball over to McCarthy who took a shot from her backhand side that sailed into the goal and earned the Tigers the victory a minute into the six-on-six play.

This is the second straight year that Princeton ended Virginia’s season as the Tigers scored a goal in the final seconds of last year’s NCAA quarterfinal game to win by the same 3-2 margin.

Princeton will face No. 4 North Carolina on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Turf Field after the Tar Heels downed Saint Joseph’s, 4-0, in the first game of the day. The winner of Sunday’s quarterfinal game will advance to the NCAA semifinals on Nov. 17 in Louisville, Ky. The NCAA Championship game will take place on Nov. 19 at the University of Louisville.

UVa senior Tara Vittese

Vittese finishes the season with 25 goals and 14 assists for 64 points. The two-time NFHCA National Player of the Year, two-time ACC Offensive Player of the Year and four-time first team All-ACC honoree finishes her collegiate career with 195 points, ranking third in the Virginia record book. She also ranks third with 51 assists and fifth with 72 goals.


Dowthwaite's OT goal lifts Michigan field hockey team to NCAA quarterfinals

(Photo: Rick Osentoski)

Meg Dowthwaite scored in the 72nd minute as Michigan's field hockey team defeated Syracuse 1-0 in overtime in an NCAA Tournament second- round match at Saturday Ocker Field in Ann Arbor.

The Wolverines (20-2) advance to Sunday's quarterfinals where they will face Northwestern (15-6), which defeated Louisville 3-2 Saturday. Faceoff is 2 p.m. at Ocker Field.

Goalie Sam Swenson made three saves in the Michigan net.

Dowthwaite, a sophomore from Weybridge, England, led the Wolverines with two shots on goal. Esther De Ieijer assisted on the winner.

UM has won 17 straight. Syracuse finishes 12-7.

Detroit News

Sunday Mail and sportscotland Scottish Sports Awards

A phenomenal year for Derek Forsyth and the Scotland men’s hockey team

EuroHockey Championship II 2017 Men – Final. The winning Scotland team

Scottish Hockey is delighted that hockey has been shortlisted for three awards at the Sunday Mail and sportscotland Scottish Sports Awards, held in Glasgow on 7 December.

The Scotland men’s hockey team has been shortlisted for Team of the Year, Scotland men’s Head Coach Derek Forsyth has been shortlisted for Coach of the Year, and Grove Menzieshill is in the running for Local Club of the Year at the prestigious event.

The recognition is fantastic for the sport and shows the excellent year that hockey in Scotland has had at all levels.
Sunday Mail and sportscotland awards

It has been a phenomenal year for the Scotland men’s hockey team – they won EuroHockey Championship II and qualified for the top table of European hockey for the first time since 2005. They also surpassed all expectations and competed in the World League Semi-Final for the first time ever, and rose significantly in the world rankings. The squad truly has had significant success and this nomination is tremendous recognition of the hard work, dedication and achievements of the squad. Scotland men are shortlisted alongside Celtic FC and the Scotland Rugby sevens team.

Scotland men’s Head Coach Derek Forsyth truly has got the best out of his players to achieve tremendous things this year. He and his staff overcame many challenges to lead his team to the fantastic achievements the squad has delivered for hockey. Derek also worked with GB Hockey’s men’s team as Assistant Coach for the 2017 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup tournament in Malaysia. GB won the tournament with Derek making a valuable contribution to the success. Derek is shortlisted alongside Brendan Rogers of Celtic FC and Ian Mirfin of athletics.

In the year that Grove Menzieshill was voted the EHF European Club of the Year 2016 for Small Clubs, it is fantastic recognition of the club’s efforts to be in the running for Sunday Mail and sportscotland Local Club of the Year.

It is a massive achievement for the club as it continues to progress and create more opportunities for people to play hockey. From youth hockey, to officials, to international players, Grove Menzieshill has achieved at all levels.

Grove Menzieshill is a small but proud family hockey club with strong ties to its community. In Scottish Hockey’s accreditation programme Grove Menzieshill has gained silver accreditation, which insures clubs are safe, well organised and efficient with a focus on membership growth and retention.

Grove Menzieshill is also a recipient of sportscotland’s Direct Club Investment (DCI), which supports the development of world class club sport, and was held in the spotlight as part of the sportscotland Playing Our Part video series.

Grove Menzieshill is shortlisted with Kingdom Off-Road Motorcycle Club and Haddington Table Tennis Club.

Scottish Hockey CEO David Sweetman said, “This is great news for hockey in Scotland and I’m absolutely delighted to see the Scotland men’s team, Derek Forsyth, and Grove Menzieshill recognised in what has been a fantastic year for the sport.

“The success of the Scotland men’s squad and Derek Forsyth is an inspirational story and a great example for the sport. The work of Grove Menzieshill is equally inspirational and shows what hockey clubs in Scotland can achieve, and the great role hockey can play in a community.

“This is an exciting time for hockey as the sport grows across Scotland. The future is bright for hockey and I’d like to congratulate the Scotland men’s squad, Derek Forsyth, and Grove Menzieshill on this well-deserved recognition.”
Sunday Mail and sportscotland awards

EHF President Marijke Fleuren presents the Small Club of the Year award to Grove Menzieshill HC, Dundee.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Peshawar High Court summons PHF officials

ISLAMABAD: The Peshawar High Court has again summoned officials of the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) to explain their position in the financial mismanagement raised by Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Hockey Association secretary Zahir Ali Shah in a petition. According to the petitioner, Chief Justice Yahya Afridi has given three days to the PHF officials to appear before him on Monday (tomorrow) to explain their position.

Zahir was quoted as saying Saturday that many financial irregularities had been committed by the PHF. He claimed that in his petition he had prayed to the honourable court that during the ongoing three-year tenure of the incumbent body headed by retired Brig.

Khalid Sajjad Khokhar, the PHF received a handsome amount of Rs440 million from the federal government. Surprisingly, he added during this period the PHF withdrew the amount of Rs 220 million in hard cash from two branches of Habib Bank Limited located in Lahore and Karachi, respectively, while saying that according to the
PHF constitution, amount exceeding above Rs100,000 must be withdrawn through a crossed cheque.

He said no meeting of the Congress, the basic unit of the PHF, was summoned last year (2016).

Earlier, in 2015 annual meeting of the Congress no auditor was appointed so all the expenditures being made are unchecked. Zahir further said when the PHF president was away from the country for five months for treatment, Rs120 million were withdrawn. The honourable court had already issued an order on August 10, summoning the PHF officials but no one turned up from the federation.

The Daily Times


Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author