Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 29 October 2017

All the news for Sunday 29 October 2017

2017 African Cup of Nations Results and Standings Day 5

RSA v KEN 6 - 1
GHA v EGY 0 - 4

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Egypt 4 3 1 0 24 5 19 10
2 South Africa 4 3 1 0 20 7 13 10
3 Ghana 4 2 0 2 10 8 2 6
4 Kenya 4 1 0 3 4 14 -10 3
5 Nigeria 4 0 0 4 4 28 -24 0

GHA v RSA 0 - 3
EGY v KEN 0 - 1

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 South Africa 4 4 0 0 24 0 24 12
2 Ghana 4 3 0 1 9 4 5 9
3 Kenya 4 2 0 2 3 7 -4 6
4 Nigeria 4 0 1 3 1 8 -7 1
5 Egypt 4 0 1 3 1 19 -18 1

Final Classification matches 29 October 2017

12:30 3rd/4th Place GHA v KEN
15:00 Final EGY v RSA

11:00 3rd/4th Place KEN v NGR
13:30 Fina RSA v GHA

FIH Match Centre

SA hockey women and men through to Africa Cup finals

Ockert de Villiers

Illse Davids was among the goal-scorers for the SA hockey team against Ghana on Saturday. Photo: Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix

Going unbeaten during the pool stages, both the South African women’s and men’s teams booked their places for the finals at the African Hockey Cup of Nations in Egypt.

The amassed a total of 24 goals in four matches without conceding a single point over the last week.

The men in turn had a tougher road to their final with Ghana putting up a strong challenge while Egypt enforced a stalemate.

The South African teams will be looking to retain their titles as African champions.

The men claimed a confidence boosting 6-1 victory in their final pool match to set up a rematch against Egypt.

The two sides will not only be fitting it out for continental supremacy, but also a place for next year’s World Cup in India.

Keenan Horne led the charge scoring a brace of goals with Jethro Eustice, Reza Rosenberg, Daniel Bell and Jonty Robinson.

The women’s side beat Ghana 3-0 to book their place in the final, where the two sides will meet again on Sunday.

Celia Evans opened the scoring four minutes into the match, before Illse Davids added a second three minutes later.

The tournament points leader, Dirkie Chamberlain, landed her eighth goal in the 18th minute to wrap up the match.

IOL Sport

Women's Asia Cup 2017 Kakamigahara (JPN) - Day 1

Pool A CHN v MAS 5 - 4
Pool A IND v SIN 10 - 0
Pool B KOR v THA 8 - 0
Pool B JPN v KAZ 7 - 0

Pool A

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 India 1 1 0 0 10 0 10 3
2 China 1 1 0 0 5 4 1 3
3 Malaysia 1 0 0 1 4 5 -1 0
4 Singapore 1 0 0 1 0 10 -10 0

Pool B

Rank Team GP W D L GF GA GD P
1 Korea 1 1 0 0 8 0 8 3
2 Japan 1 1 0 0 7 0 7 3
3 Kazakhstan 1 0 0 1 0 7 -7 0
4 Thailand 1 0 0 1 0 8 -8 0

FIH Match Centre

Smooth sail for India against Singapore

s2h team

Kakamigahara (Japan): It is first international match for new coach Harendra Singh in women's domain. It went as smooth as possible. And also the way he wanted. Goals came aplenty through field efforts and through penalty corners. However, as any successful coach would he would still see shortfalls in his team but that is a different matter.

Indian defeated Singapore 16-0 in 2007 in Hong Kong and 13-0 in Bangkok. However today's victory, though not as high as those two, was as authentic as it were.

The team led by Rani dominated against Singapore with a comfortable 10-0 win. It was goals by Navneet Kaur (3’ and 41’), Rani (15’ and 18’), Lalremsiami (18’), Deep Grace Ekka (25’), Navjot Kaur (30’ and 50’), Gurjit Kaur (41’) and Sonika (45’) that ensured India with the winning points in their opening match in Pool A.

Indian team won back-to-back PCs in the first quarter. Though the first PC was saved by Singapore goalkeeper Felissa Lai, it hardly dented India’s spirit. It was Navneet and Rani’s goals in the 3rd and 15th minute that gave India a 2-0 lead in the first quarter.

India continued their good run in the second quarter as they added four more goals to their lead via Lalremsiami, Rani, Deep Grace Ekka and Navjot to go into half-time break with an imposing 6-0 lead.

After Grace scored off a PC in the 25th minute, dragflicker Gurjit Kaur scored India’s 7th goal through a PC in the 41st minute. India stayed resolute as they continued to put pressure on Singapore defence pumping two more goals in the third quarter through Navneet Kaur and Sonika in the 41st and 45th minute respectively.

The final 15 minutes saw India win back-to-back PCs. But Singapore defence averted conceding further goals however, Navjot scored a field goal in the 50th minute to earn her team a 10-0 lead. India’s defence stayed strong through the match as they ended the match without conceding a single goal. Earlier in the day, China beat Malaysia 5-4 in a closely fought encounter.


Indian women score sensational win over Singapore

India began with positive intent by attacking Singapore’s circle constantly, looking for an opportunity to score.

Indian Women’s Hockey team in a group photograph in New Delhi before they leave to participate in the 9th Women’s Asia Cup.   | Photo Credit: PTI

Indian eves got off to a roaring start at the Women’s Asia Cup 2017 with a dominating 10-0 victory over Singapore in Kakamigahara on Saturday.

Navneet Kaur (3rd & 41st minutes), Rani (15th & 18th) and Navjot Kaur (30th & 50th) netted the ball twice, while Lalremsiami (18th), Deep Grace Ekka (25th), Gurjit Kaur (41st) and Sonika (45th) scored once each to ensure India notched up winning points in their opening match of Pool A.

India began with positive intent by attacking Singapore’s circle constantly, looking for an opportunity to score.

The effort worked as the team won back-to-back penalty corners in the first quarter. Though the first penalty corner was saved by Singapore goalkeeper Felissa Lai, it hardly dented India’s spirit as they were precise in their counter.

It was Navneet and Rani’s goals in the 3rd and 15th minute that gave India a 2-0 lead in the first quarter itself.

India continued their fine run in the second quarter as well, adding four more goals, to go into the 10-minute half-time break with an imposing 6-0 lead.

After Grace scored off a penalty corner in the 25th minute, dragflicker Gurjit was fierce in her strike to score India’s seventh goal through another penalty corner in the 41st minute.

India stayed resolute as they continued to put pressure on Singapore’s defense, pumping two more goals in the third quarter through Navneet and Sonika.

The final 15 minutes saw India win back-to-back penalty corners but Singapore defense averted conceding goals.

However, a quick-thinking Navjot scored a field goal in the 50th minute to earn her team a 10-0 lead.

India’s defense, meanwhile, put up a strong display throughout the match.

Earlier in the day, China beat Malaysia 5-4 in a closely fought encounter.

The Hindu

Late defensive collapse sees Malaysia go down to China

By Aftar Singh

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia’s defence crumbled when it mattered most and they ended up losing 5-4 to China in their opening Group A match of the women’s Asia Cup.

This was despite the Malaysians leading 4-3 with just three minutes left to play at the Gifu Hockey Stadium in Kakamigahara, Japan.

World No. 8 China got their goals through Ye Jinping (third minute), Zhong Jiaqi (seventh), Chen Yi (26th), Yuan Meng (57th) and Wang Tingting (59th).

World No. 22 Malaysia scored through Siti Rahmah Othman (18th), Nurul Nabihah Mansur (45th, 48th) and Nadia Hanis Onn (55th).

National coach K. Dharmaraj was annoyed with his players for failing to defend their lead.

“We were so close to upsetting top seeds China in the Asia Cup. We were down 3-1 and worked so hard to lead 4-3.

“Then our defence collapsed in the dying minutes,” said Dharmaraj, who claimed that China’s fourth goal should have been disallowed as a Chinese player hit a high ball into the D.

“We couldn’t ask the umpire for video referral as we had already lost our earlier referral.”

In another Group A match, India thrashed Singapore 10-0.

Malaysia will face Singapore today and Dharmaraj wants his players to collect full points.

The Star of Malaysia

Pakistan capitulate in last quarter to lose 0-4 to Hong Kong China in final

It was goalless, five minutes into the last quarter of the final between the 38th ranked Hong Kong China and the 68th ranked Pakistan at the Women's Hockey Asian Challenge 2017, in Brunei's capital Bandar Seri Bagawan.

At that stage an upset couldn't have been ruled out.

But in the last 10 minutes, Pakistan's lack of international experience and Hong Kong's superior fitness came to the fore.

The East Asians scored no less than four goals  during that period to win the three team competition.

Hosts Brunei finished last.

Hong Kong China: 4,   Pakistan: 0

PHF Media Release

Great Britain beat India to secure Sultan of Johor Cup final spot

Great Britain U21s 2017 Sultan of Johor Cup v India

Great Britain beat India 2-1 to confirm their place in tomorrow’s Sultan of Johor Cup final.

Goals from Tom Sorsby and captain Jack Waller meant that Jon Bleby's side maintained their 100% record in the tournament so far and means they will head into the tomorrow's showpiece event in the best possible form.

In contrast to their previous games, both the goals came from penalty corners - either side of a strike from Raushan Kumar - proving that Jon Bleby's side are an attacking threat from all situations.

The result means India will now face a battle for the bronze with Malaysia, while Australia will be Great Britain's opponents as they aim to reclaim the title they won in 2015.

It was a cautious first quarter as both sides eased their way into the game. India needed the win to progress to the final where as the Brits knew a draw or a win would see them through. As a result, a penalty corner and a well worked attack from India were the only real attacks in this period.

The second quarter saw both sides come to life and, after applying plenty of pressure, Great Britain took the lead, with birthday boy Sorbsy deflecting in Eddie Way's penalty corner strike.

However five minutes before half time a card for Waller gave India a chance which they took full advantage of to level as a reverse strike outside of the circle found Kumar who lightly touched the ball into the goal.

Despite only needing a point Great Britain were not going to settle for a draw and they came out hungry for a win after the break. They dominated the third quarter, with multiple penalty corners, but India worked hard to deny them any further.

The pressure continued in the last quarter as they had attack after attack. A brilliant display of team work from Cameron Golden and Callum Mackenzie almost ended in a spectacular goal but the ball just whistled past the post.

In retaliation India attempted a counter attack but Wyver came out strongly to deflect the ball out of any danger.

Captain Waller then sealed the win for his side as he tapped the ball in at near post after a scramble in front of the keeper eight minutes before the final whistle.

After the game a delighted Bleby said: "We are proud of the players' performances so far, we are learning more from each game.

"Today was a good team performance against a tough Indian side.

"Our goal now is to perform well in the final and bring home the title."

Great Britain (1) 2
Sorsby (PC, 20)
Waller (PC, 52)

India (1) 1
Raushan Kumar (FG, 25)

You can watch Great Britain take on Australia in the final tomorrow at 12.35pm GMT here.

England Hockey Board Media release

GB U21 men reach Sultan of Jahor Cup Final

Great Britain U21 men beat India 2-1 to confirm their place in tomorrow’s Sultan of Johor Cup Final. Scotland’s Cameron Golden and Callum MacKenzie both played their part in the victory.

It was a cautious first quarter, as both sides eased their way into the game. India needed the win to progress to the final WHILE Geat Britain could take a draw or a win to see them through. A penalty corner and a well worked attack from India were the only real attacks in this quarter.

The second quarter was when both sides came to life and after applying pressure Great Britain took the lead, birthday boy Tom Sorbsy deflecting in Way’s penalty corner strike. Five minutes before half time and a reverse strike outside of the circle found Raushan Kumar lightly touch to ball to draw his side level.

Great Britain had won four out of four games so far and they weren’t going to settle for a draw as they came out hungry for a win. A dominant third quarter, with multiple penalty corners for GB but India worked hard to deny them any further.

Great Britain looked composed throughout the last quarter, building on attack after attack.

A brilliant display of team work from Scotland’s Cameron Golden and Callum Mackenzie saw them beat the Indian midfield but the final shot went just wide of goal.

India attempted the counter attack but Wyver came out strong to deflect the ball out of any danger. It was Captain Waller who sealed the win for Great Britain as he tapped the ball in near post after a scramble in front of the keeper.

Great Britain take on Australia tomorrow at 12.35pm GMT for the gold medal. Watch via youtube here..

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Burras Qualify For Sultan Of Johor Cup Final

Ben Somerford

The Burras will play Great Britain in the Sultan of Johor Cup final on Sunday night after defeating Malaysia 3-1 on Saturday.

Australia leapfrogged India into the top two spots in the six-nation tournament in Malaysia with the win.

India lost 2-1 to Great Britain in their final round robin match on Saturday.

Captain Nathaneal Stewart opened the scoring with a penalty stroke late in the first quarter.

Australia made it 2-0 after 33 minutes when Jacob Anderson scored.

Malaysia responded in the last quarter, with Abu Kamal Mohammed scoring after 51 minutes.

Australia sealed the win and their spot in the decider with a 57th minute penalty stroke from Andrew Scanlon.

The Burras will play Great Britain from 11.35pm AEDT. You can watch the game live here.

Hockey Australia media release

Consolation bronze on anvil for India

s2h team

Johor Bahru, Malaysia: Facing two successive defeats including one today against Great Britain turned the defending champion India to hope for consolation bronze. India lost to Australia in their fourth match, Great Britain did the same to them today in their fifth match. India went down 1-2 to Great Britain at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium.

Raushan Kumar’s goal in the 25th minute was not enough for India to win the match as Tom Sorsby (20’) and Jack Waller (52’) helped Great Britain in qualifying for the final of the tournament.

Going into their last round robin match, India needed a win in order to qualify for the final of the tournament whereas Great Britain only required a draw.

At the end of the first quarter, India won a penalty corner which was well saved by Great Britain’s Goalkeeper Chris Wyver as Pratap Lakra shot.

In the second quarter, it was Great Britain who took the initiative as they were awarded three penalty corners in the 20th minute, the first two of which were well defended by India. But Great Britain were third time lucky when Tom Sorsby scored when he shot past India’s Pankaj Rajak.

In the 25th minute, Maninder Singh found Dilpreet Singh just outside the circle with a calculated pass, and Dilpreet Singh shot at goal, which was deflected into the back of the net by Raushan Kumar to level the scores for his team.

The third quarter ended goalless with the score locked at 1-1.

In the last quarter, Great Britain's Jack Waller scored off a PC and India went behind 1-2.

India will now face Malaysia in the Bronze medal match of 7th Sultan of Johor Cup 2017 on Sunday, 29th October 2017 at 15.35hrs IST.


Malaysia qualify for third-placing playoff

By Mohd Farhaan Shah

Still in the running: Malaysia’s Muhammad Ishak (blue) trying to get past Australia’s Ben Staines during their Sultan of Johor Cup match at the Taman Daya Stadium yesterday. — ABDUL RAHMAN EMBONG / The Star

JOHOR BARU: Malaysia have qualified for the third-placing playoff in the Under-21 Sultan of Johor Cup hockey tournament despite losing 3-1 to Australia in their final group match.

Malaysia can thank their lucky stars for that because Japan could only beat the United States 14-0 in a later match at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium yesterday. Japan needed to beat the US by more than 22 goals to pip Malaysia to the spot on better goal difference.

Earlier, Britain preserved their 100% record by beating India 2-1.

Britain will take on Australia in today’s final while Malaysia will face India for third place. Japan and the US will fight for fifth spot.

In the match against Malaysia, Australia took the lead when captain Nathanael Stewart converted a penalty stroke in the 15th minute.

The Aussies came back after the interval to continue dominating proceedings and Jacob Anderson doubled their lead in the 33rd minute.

Malaysia clawed back in the fourth quarter with a beautiful strike from Muhammad Azrai Aizad Abu Kamal in the 51st minute to reduce the deficit.

But any hopes of a comeback for Malaysia ended when Australia went 3-1 up when Andrew Scanlon converted a penalty stroke in the 57th minute.

National Juniors coach Wallace Tan, though, was proud of his boys for never giving up even when they were 2-0 down against the defending champions.

“We lost 3-1 but overall we weren’t too bad. It is just that we were not clinical enough,” he said.

The Star of Malaysia

U-21 USMNT Continues to Fight at Sultan of Johor Cup

Image courtesy of Megat Firdaus /PMF Sports Images

JOHOR BAHRU, Malaysia - October 28, 2017 - The fight continues for the U.S. U-21 Men's National Team as they fell to Japan in their fifth match of the Sultan of Johor Cup (SOJC). With every match there is a lot of learning and with that there is improvement but Japan's experience showed as they tallied 14 goals against USA.

Team USA is struggling to string four quarters of solid hockey together but the coaches are starting to see the tactics implemented and the game plan being executed a little better each day. The U-21 USMNT are all very aware that they have long way to go and today's game against Japan was much better despite the score. Japan arguably have the fastest team in Malaysia and amazing stick skills to match. They had a goal differential in the twenties that would have allowed them to play in the third place match tomorrow, but USA put up a strong defense to prevent that.

The U-21 USMNT has a habit of fading in the second half of each game and today they stayed stronger with a huge game from goalkeeper David Kristof (Darien, Conn.). He made amazing saves one after another, which earned him the respect from the crowd, commentators and ultimately the officials who awarded him the man of the match. Kristof's teammates were all proud of his achievement. USA had quite a few exciting moments where they got opportunities to attack their circle only to see the ferocious Japan counter attack, thanks to their strong tackling and speed. The squad is looking forward to the rematch of today's game which will happen tomorrow, where they hope to put a few more pieces of the puzzle together as they look to get some offense going.

In the 5th/6th place match, the U.S. U-21 Men's National Team will face Japan again tomorrow Sunday, October 29 at 3:35 a.m. ET. For all the latest scores, information and livestream schedule, check the SOJC Event Page by clicking here.

Goal Scoring Summary:
Team     Minute     Player     Action     Score
JPN     1     #15 Ogawa     FG     0 - 1
JPN     8     #18 Tamekuni     FG     0 - 2
JPN     17     # Ikeda     FG     0 - 3
JPN     21     #25 Sugiyama     FG     0 - 4
JPN     22     #15 Ogawa     PS     0 - 5
JPN     22     #15 Ogawa     FG     0 - 6
JPN     26     #22 Fijushima     FG     0 - 7
JPN     28     #24 Sugino     FG     0 - 8
JPN     29     #9 Ozawa     FG     0 - 9
JPN     36     #23 Kamezaki     PC     0 - 10
JPN     41     #9 Ozawa     FG     0 - 11
JPN     42     #23 Kamezaki     FG     0 - 12
JPN     55     #16 Kato     FG     0 - 13
JPN     59     #12 Morishita     FG     0 - 14

Kristoff with his Man of the Match Award

USFHA media release

Slough win helps Surbiton go top

Ellie Watton scores for Holcombe. Credit Peter Smith.

Surbiton pulled out a three-point lead at the top of the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division with a 4-2 victory over Slough on Saturday afternoon.

The two sides were first and second before the start of play and that showed in a keenly contested first half, though it was the hosts who struck first with Emily Atkinson breaking the deadlock on 25 minutes.

Ashpal Kaur Bhogal hit back for Slough three minutes later converting a penalty corner but they were level for just two minutes, Hannah Martin restoring Surbiton’s lead at the break.

The hosts pulled away in the second half, Giselle Ansley scoring her fourth of the season and Jo Hunter converting a penalty corner to put the game out of reach.

Slough did pull one back later on through Georgina Bathurst, but it was Surbiton who are now clear at the top of the table, whilst Slough make up a clutch of six teams separated by just a single point.

Two of these sides, Clifton Robinsons and Holcombe, both lost ground at the top as they had to settle for a 1-1 draw.

Ellie Watton (pictured) had put Holcombe on course for victory with the opener midway through the second half, but Zoe Leach’s penalty corner eight minutes from time rescued a draw for Clifton.

The University of Birmingham moved second in the table, leapfrogging opponents East Grinstead after a 1-0 home victory.

Katelyn Aitchinson struck the game’s only goal after 21 minutes as the hosts made it four games unbeaten.

Zoe Shipperley scored on the stroke of half time as Buckingham recorded a 1-0 victory at Bowdon, breaking a run of three consecutive draws.

Meanwhile, Leicester were the biggest winners of the day, running out 4-1 victors over struggling Canterbury.

Elizabeth Honarmand and Katie Long grabbed two goals apiece in the win, Sarah Kerly with a late consolation for the visitors who are yet to taste success this term.

Investec Conference East

Hampstead & Westminster and Sevenoaks both made it six wins from six games with away victories in the Investec Conference East.

Leaders Hampstead won 2-0 at Cambridge City, Annabel Driver and Joyce Esser on target to both move onto six goals for the campaign.

Sevenoaks recorded a 3-0 win at Bedford, Sophie Crosley, Kate Reynolds and captain Katy Warrington scoring for the visitors who also kept a sixth successive clean sheet.

Wimbledon also picked up an away win to remain just three points behind the leaders, running out 4-0 victors at Harleston Magpies with Laura Bevan and Libby Sherriff amongst the scorers.

Elsewhere, Southgate were back to winning ways with a 3-2 triumph at Chelmsford, whilst St Albans picked up their first point of the season with a 1-1 draw at home to Barnes, Ellen Paterson rescuing a point for the visitors with five minutes to go.

Investec Conference North

It was six of the best for Beeston who stay top of the Investec Women’s Conference North after a 6-0 home win over Liverpool Sefton.

Rosy Stephens both opened and wrapped up the scoring for Beeston, Lauren Burrell, Nina Apoola, Esme Burge and Fenella Scutt also on target as the hosts made it six wins from six.

Brooklands Poynton remain hot on their heels after an emphatic 9-1 victory over Wakefield. Annie Mills scored fourtimes whilst Izzy Wray hit a brace, all after Wakefield had taken a sixth minute lead.

After four straight wins to start the season, it is now back-to-back defeats for Sutton Coldfield who went down 2-1 at Ben Rhydding, Jo Ellis and Tanisha Janzen on target in the first half for the hosts.

Vicky Lomas scored the winner in the dying minutes as Timperley defeated Loughborough Students 2-1, the Leicestershire side without a point this season, whilst Fylde’s game against University of Durham was goalless.

Investec Conference West

Second-placed Reading picked up a 1-0 victory at home to leaders Trojans in the Investec Conference, ending the visitors 100% start to the season.

Emma Thomas converted a 27th minute penalty corner to score the games’ only goal and cut the gap at the top of the table to a single point.

Stourport are just a point further back after a comfortable 6-1 win at Oxford Hawks, Lorna Mackenzie hitting a brace with Lora Symonds again on the scoresheet.

Sally Walton scored two and Lucy Smith one as Olton & West Warwicks won 3-2 at home to Swansea City, the hosts now unbeaten in four, whilst Gloucester City ran out 4-1 winners over Isca.

Mia Foster scored just after the restart as Cannock defeated strugglers Team Bath Buccaneers 1-0, it could have been worse for Bath if not for Kelz Bowden saving a first half penalty stroke.

* Full results, tables and fixtures from the Investec Women’s Hockey League is available here - http://www.englandhockey.co.uk/page_noside.asp?section=2342§ionTitle=Fixtures%2C+Results+%26+Standings

England Hockey Board Media release

Big wins at the top of men’s and women’s National League 1

Kelburne v Western Wildcats – photo by Duncan Gray

There were bid wins at the top of men’s and women’s National League 1. Champions Edinburgh University are on top of Women’s National League 1. Grange are now in pole position in Men’s National League 1 for the first time this season after seeing off capital rivals Edinburgh University 4-1 at Peffermill.

Grange took their time to see off the Edinburgh students, they were only one up at the interval after teenager Jacob Tweedie diverted home a cross from Luke Cranney.

The score was doubled early in the second half, John McCluskey set up the chance and Ally Irvine converted with another deflection. The three points were secured when Irvine and Tweedie again doubled the Grange tally before Davyn Keuter scored a consolation for the students.

Kelburne`s clash with the Wildcats was a midfield stalemate in the first half with few scoring chances. The Paisley side gradually took control of proceedings, a Jack McKenzie shot went wide of the target, Johnny Christie hit a post with his effort, and finally Josh Cairns` penalty corner flick was saved on the line by Wildcats` Andrew McAllister.

Although Andrew McConnell had his powerful flick blocked by Kelburne teenage keeper Logan McClure early in the second half, it was the Paisley side who stepped up the pace and broke the deadlock with a penalty corner conversion by Cairns.

Kelburne were now in control of proceedings, McKenzie waltzed past five Wildcats players only to find his eventual shot saved by Gavin Sommerville.

But Kelburne`s second goal was only slightly delayed, Cairns made his way along the right bye-line unopposed and calmly flicked the ball into the roof of the net from a narrow angle – a goal fit to win any game.

There was no way back for the Wildcats as the champions turned the screw, only some good saves from Sommerville prevented further scoring.

Grove Menzieshill held on to fourth place in the division with a 2-1 win over Clydesdale, Gavin Byers and Albert Rowlings were on target.

Photo by Andy Lovat

Hillhead progressed up the table after seeing off bottom side Inverleith 4-1, the scorers here were Callum Duke from a penalty corner, Graeme Campbell, David Gay and Andrew Black.
Dundee Wanderers also helped themselves up the league after a 1-0 win at Uddingston, the only goal was scored by Bobby Ralph.

Kelburne v Western Wildcats – photo by Duncan Gray

In women`s National League 1 champions Edinburgh University are in pole position with a superior goal-difference after beating Grange 6-0. They are ahead of Wildcats on goal difference after the Auchenhowie pack beat Kelburne 3-0 with Kaz Cuthbert, Emily Cross and Alex Stuart on target.

Grove Menzieshill are still in the mix although they were held to a 2-2 draw by Milne Craig Clydesdale Western. Emma McGregor put the Glasgow side a goal ahead at the interval.

The Taysiders retaliated through Iona Armour and Nicola Skrastin to go 2-1 ahead, but in the closing minutes Millie Brown scored the equaliser.

Dundee Wanderers held on to fifth place in the division after a 4-0 away win at GHK, teenager Emily Dark, fresh from her Scotland debut, scored twice while Charlotte Watson and Rachel Osborne were also on the scoresheet.

Hillhead clocked up a well-earned 2-1 win over Watsonians to rise up to seven points on the table, rounding off the big results of the weekend.

Photo by Andy Lovat

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Western Railways to face RCF in final

Western Railways (white) beat Punjab XI 6-1 in the 34th Surjit Hockey Tournament in Jalandhar on Saturday. Tribune Photo

Jalandhar: Western Railways, Mumbai, set up the title clash with Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala, after beating Punjab XI 6-1 in the women’s section of the 34th Surjit Hockey Tournament here today. 

In the men’s section, ONGC, Delhi, beat national champions Indian Railways 3-1, while Indian Oil beat Army XI 4-1 to seal their places in the semifinals.

Sumit Kumar (16th minute), Mandeep Singh (26th) and Suman Kujur (53rd) scored for ONGC, while Amit Rohidas (51st) scored for Railways.

In the other match, VR Raghunath (3rd and 12th) scored a brace, while Vikas Sharma (56th) Roshan Minz (65th) scored one each for Indian Oil. Siraju (16th) got the lone goal for Army XI.

Lily scores hat-trick

In the final women’s pool match, Western Railways took the lead in the 8th minute through Sarita. In the 24th minute, Punjab’s Rajwinder Kaur scored the equaliser.

Western Railways again took the lead in the 33rd minute though Lily Mayengbem. Lily doubled Western Railways’ lead in the 47th minute.

Anupa Barla scored in the 52nd and 58th minutes, before Lily completed her hat-trick in the 66th minute.

The Tribune

Greenwalt leads Anne Arundel contingent for Terps field hockey
Adam Zielonkaa

University of Maryland field hockey players who hail from Anne Arundel pose with their head coach. From left to right: Kyler Greenwalt, Ena Belch, Maddy Ulery, Coach Missy Meharg, Olivia Reiter, Emily Thomas, Logan Edmondson. (Rose DiPaula / University of Maryland)

When the University of Maryland field hockey team takes the field in the Big Ten Conference Tournament, six Anne Arundel County athletes will be ready to contribute.

Freshman Kyler Greenwalt, a Gambrills native and Archbishop Spalding alumna, leads the county’s contingent playing in College Park for a top-10 field hockey program.

Maryland concluded its regular season on a six-game winning streak. Now the postseason has arrived and the girls’ goals are sky high.

“I don't want to jinx us, but I always knew that we were gonna get our stuff going and peak and do very well and hopefully go very far,” Greenwalt said. “I just always have believed that.”

Last Monday, Greenwalt was named Big Ten Field Hockey Freshman of the Week for the second time this year. She scored twice in the Terps’ 5-4 win over Virginia and had an assist against Rutgers. She finished the regular season as one of the highest-scoring freshmen in the Big Ten, with a total of five goals and one assist.

Besides Greenwalt, the roster includes senior Maddy Ulery (South River High School), sophomore Emily Thomas (South River), junior Olivia Reiter (Severna Park), sophomore Ena Belch (Broadneck) and sophomore Logan Edmondson (Spalding). Head coach Missy Meharg, a longtime Severna Park resident, said Anne Arundel and the state at large are fertile for field hockey recruiting.

The Terps finished the regular season 12-5 (6-2 in conference) and ranked eighth nationally in the Division I coaches’ poll. As the second seed in the Big Ten Tournament, they’ll host seventh-seeded Michigan State Sunday at 1 p.m. in College Park. Should they win, they’ll travel to East Lansing, Michigan, where the semifinals and finals are being held on Michigan State’s campus.

Meharg says Greenwalt has “natural athleticism” and a lot of experience playing the sport, but feels “the most impressive thing has been her coachability.”

“We decided to make her a goal-scorer and that’s not easy. A lot of pressure. It’s a hard game to score in,” Meharg said. “She’s really been very coachable for (assistant coach) Katie Bam, who works with our forwards particularly. She just is a student of the game now. She’s very calm and very mature about how she approaches (it).”

Greenwalt has played all over the field before. She was a forward in her first two years at Spalding before moving to midfielder for the Cavs. As a member of the U.S. under-17 national team, she played defense. But there were still challenges in Greenwalt’s transition back to the attack.

“I’ve never had this type of press, so that was probably my biggest challenge,” said Greenwalt, who chose to attend Maryland over Wake Forest and Princeton. “But once I understood that, I’m like fine now.”

There to help with the transition were some older players from Anne Arundel. In high school Greenwalt played with Ulery and Thomas on their club team, Freedom Hky, which practices at Maryland’s field.

“I guess I mentor her mentally a little bit, like sometimes if she’s feeling down on herself I’ll pick her up, tell her she’s doing fine, that type of thing,” Thomas said. “I just make sure she keeps her head in the game and that she’s able to perform as well as she can.”

Greenwalt said senior forward Layne Litsinger has been her biggest mentor because of her experience at the position and her knowledge of the team’s press strategy. Besides her, friends like Thomas give her good advice as well.

“I’ll come off (the field) and Emily will tell me what I need to do next time, like ‘Instead of dribbling, just shoot right away’ and just little stuff like that,” Greenwalt said.

The freshman added that Ulery helps her and her underclassman teammates with academics and the time management aspect of student-athlete life.

The Anne Arundel girls’ familiarity with one another naturally benefits the whole team.

“We’re just very connected on the field,” Thomas said of Greenwalt. “I always know what she’s gonna do, what her next move is. I know where to find her, and we just work well together.”

Although some of the girls have been teammates before college, their high school rivalries still come up from time to time.

“With Emily and I being on South River and Olivia, Severna Park and Ena, Broadneck, we’ll sometimes make jokes about it, how in high school it was always just that funny, serious rivalry and now we’re all best friends,” Ulery said. “It’s really cool to see how that changes.”

Although Greenwalt gets most of the spotlight for being on the scoring end of the field, Meharg said she’s impressed with all of her Anne Arundel players in an important phase of the sport—practice.

“I think the most important thing to any great team is the quality of your training sessions, and every one of these women brings 100 percent work rate, 100 percent of service to the group and it’s pretty amazing how good they are,” she said.

Meharg said Ulery, the senior, is friends to her teammates on and off the field and her support is critical for their games.

“Maddy is competing and training and bringing other people’s games to where they need (to be) every single day,” Meharg said. “She’s also got a very engaging level of honesty. She’ll let you know when you aren’t doing something right, or she communicates with the staff if she wants something or needs to be heard. She’s a treat to work with because of that.”

The Maryland girls have teammates who hail from as far as The Netherlands, but they all play under one banner and have one goal in common — postseason success, in the Big Ten and beyond. Greenwalt has already been thinking about a potential rematch with Duke, a team that beat them early in the year, should they meet in the NCAA Tournament.

“Ever since we lost against Duke, I was like, ‘We may be losing now, but we’re gonna see them again, and hopefully next time we beat them,’” she said.

The Baltimore Sun

Shock as USIU hockey star Martha Masinde passes on


Martha Masinde of USIU-A during a past match. Martha passed away on October 28, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

The Kenyan hockey fraternity is mourning the death of United States International University of Africa (USIU) Spartans player Martha Masinde who passed away on Saturday in Bungoma.

The midfielder succumbed to respiratory complications at the Kory Family hospital. She fell sick late September after playing in her side's win against Multimedia University. The Moi Girls Kamusinga alumnus was studying a Bachelor of Science in Accounting.

The news sent shockwaves across the hockey fraternity with many taking to social media to offer their condolences and tributes to friends and family of the 24-year-old, who was fondly referred to as Sasha.

Spartans coach John Kabuu, who confirmed the demise to Nation Sport, described the loss as “unimaginable and a bitter pill to swallow.”

"Sasha was a budding talent and who had a great future in the sport. She had ambitions of playing for the national team in the near future," Kabuu said.

Spartans skipper Beatrice Mbugua was also distraught by the news.

"She was a great team player who was always working to improve not only her game but the welfare of the side," Mbugua said.

Spartans are currently placed second on the table on 31 points, two behind leaders and champions Telkom.

Daily Nation

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author