Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 28 March 2017

All the news for Tuesday 28 March 2017

Tanaka double downs Russia as Japan take control of Pool B in Trinidad & Tobago

USA picked up an important win on Day 2 Photo: Sean Miguel

Canada maintain strong Pool A start at Men’s Hockey World League Round 2 in Tacarigua, Trinidad & Tobago

The second day of action at the Men’s Hockey World League Round 2 competition in Tacarigua, Trinidad & Tobago saw Canada and Japan take control of their respective pools by claiming second wins.

The day’s action began in Pool A with USA bouncing back from Saturday’s defeat at the hands of north American rivals Canada to defeat Barbados 7-1. Goals from Pat Harris and Tyler Sundeen gave USA a 2-0 lead in the opening quarter with William Holt and Aki Kaeppeler taking the score to 4-0 ahead of half time. Nic Molcsan added a fifth in the third quarter before Harris notched his second goal of the game with a fourth quarter penalty corner. Barbados got on the scoresheet in the 53rd minute thanks to a penalty stroke from Che Warner, but USA’s Amardeep Khokhar completed the scoring three minutes from the end.

In the second match of the day, Canada were given a scare by Chile before emerging comfortable 5-1 winners. Chile matched their higher-ranked opponents in the opening two quarters before taking the lead thanks to Fernando Renz early in the third period. It was a lead they held for eight minutes before their resistance finally broke by conceding three penalty corners in quick succession, with a Mark Pearson double coming either side of an effort by Gordon Johnson. Keegan Pereira and Scott Tupper were also on target as the Red Caribous scored five times in ten remarkable minutes.

In Pool B, Japan striker Kenta Tanaka continued his impressive start to the competition with two goals in a 3-1 win over Russia to help his team to a second successive victory in Tacarigua. Tanaka – who scored all three goals in Saturday’s 3-0 triumph over Switzerland – was almost unplayable at times, scoring two high quality field goals in the 14th and 15th minute before Kentaro Fukuda made it 3-0 in the second quarter. Alexander Skiperskiy netted a consolation goal six minutes from time, but Japan were worthy winners of the contest.

In the final match of the day, Home favourites Trinidad & Tobago claimed their first win in Pool B with a 6-2 success over Switzerland. Jan Hödle gave Switzerland an early lead before T&T scored five goals on the bounce with Stefan Mouttet, Marcus James, Kwan Browne (2) and Tariq Marcano establishing a 5-1 lead midway through the third quarter. Patrick Müller reduced the deficit in the 50th minute before Shaquille Daniel bagged T&Ts sixth and final goal in the dying stages. 

Like all the Round 2 events, the competition in Tacarigua – which is located around 20 kilometers inland from capital city Port of Spain – consists of teams that came through the first phase of the competition and nations that were automatically given a bye through to Round 2 due to their higher placement in the FIH Hero World Rankings. The highest ranked teams will enter the World League at the Semi-Final stage of the Hockey World League which will take place in this summer.

The top two finishers from the men’s Round 2 events in Dhaka (4-12 Mar 2017), Belfast (11-19 Mar 2017) and Tacarigua, (25 Mar-2 Apr 2017) are certain to qualify for the Hockey World League Semi-Finals, being joined in the World Cup qualifier phase by the two highest ranked of the third placed finishers from those three events.  Malaysia and China took the top two places at the event in Dhaka, with Egypt (FIH Hero World Ranking: 20) finishing in third place. In Belfast, Ireland claimed a first place finish ahead of France, with Scotland (WR: 27) taking third position.

You can keep track of the tournament in Tacarigua on the official competition pages by clicking here and on FIH’s social media channels using the #HWL2017 hashtag.

FIH site

FIH World League R2 - Tacarigua - Days 1 & 2

Damian Gordon

FIH World League R2, Tacarigua - Russia vs. Trinidad & Tobago. (Photo: J-M PRODUCTIONS)

Canada and Japan impress on the first two days of the World League R2 in Tacarigua, collecting two wins each. After a loss to Russia on opening night, host Trinidad & Tobago reacted well with a clear win over Switzerland.

Day 1

Pool A – Canada vs. USA

Our first game of the tournament saw Canada control the game throughout, scoring a goal in each of the first three quarters to take a 3-0 lead into the 4th quarter. The USA scored early to give themselves a chance to come back, but Canada added an insurance goal that kept the result comfortable despite one more USA field goal. Final score 4-2 Canada.

Pool A – Chile vs. Barbados

The match was closer than the rankings suggested. Barbados defended deep, looking for counter attack opportunities. Chile scored in the first quarter and held their lead at the half time interval. Barbados continued to hang tough and one of their few attacks led to a PC goal. The equaliser injected some energy into the game, but it was Chile who regained the lead in the first minute of the final quarter and despite a narrowly missed deflection held on to win. Final score 2-1 Chile.

Pool B – Japan vs. Switzerland

Japan came out the quicker of the two teams. Their speed presented many problems for the Swiss defence, who handled it with a well organised and patient display. The individual skill of the Japanese proved the difference though with three well taken solo efforts by Tanaka giving them a lead which never looked in jeopardy. Final score 3-0 Japan.

Pool B – Russia vs. Trinidad & Tobago

The final day 1 match saw the hosts take on Russia. Both teams played cautiously, looking to play for counter attacks. TTO used a counter attack to take an early lead. Another counter attack, this time for Russia, led to the equaliser just before halftime. Russia then took the lead from a penalty corner midway through the 3rd quarter. Two suspensions saw Russia play with 9-players for 2 minutes and TTO pressed for an equaliser, but there was no change to the score until late in the game when another Russian counter attack led to the final goal of the game. Final score 3-1 Russia.

Day 2

Pool A – USA vs. Barbados

As in Day 1 Barbados put up a good fight, using their speed to defend well. Unlike Day 1, they made a few errors and the USA made them count. Two goals in each of the first 2 quarters giving the Americans a 4-0 lead at halftime. Barbados regrouped and came out hard in the second half, conceding one goal in the third quarter. The USA continued their relentless push for more goals and were rewarded with a 6th goal before a consolation PS from Barbados. The Americans added one more for good measure shortly before the game ended. Final score 7-1 USA.

Pool A – Chile vs. Canada

Our second match of the day started off as a defensive exhibition from Chile as their GK and defenders kept out a series of Canadian penalty corners and shots from open play. The second half was the opposite of the first with Chile taking a surprise lead two minutes into the second quarter. Canada kept their composure and responded with 3 goals in four minutes near the end of the quarter. Canada kept up the pressure and added two more goals in the 4th quarter to complete a dominating performance. Final score 5-1 Canada.

Pool B – Russia vs. Japan

Game 3 saw the two opening day winners from Pool B. Japan used their relentless speed to attack the Russian goal. Their hard work was rewarded with 2 spectacularly deflected goals at the end of the first quarter. The Japanese scored a third, an amazing solo effort, midway through the second quarter to take a 3-goal lead into the halftime break. The Russians started the third quarter with more energy and kept the Japanese from scoring while creating a few chances for themselves. The fourth quarter continued like the third with the Russians pushing for a goal and the Japanese looking to score on the counter attack. They were eventually rewarded with a penalty corner goal, but it was little more than a consolation as Japan held on for the win. Final score 3-1 Japan.

Pool B – Switzerland vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Game 4 saw a matchup of teams trying to recover from opening day losses. The Swiss though got the game’s first goal from a field goal attempt. TTO stayed calm and put pressure on the Swiss. They forced a few penalty corners, scoring from their third. TTO then took control of the match with three goals right before halftime interval to lead 4-1 going into the 3rd quarter. The Swiss came out pressing hard, but it was TTO who extended their lead with their 4th penalty corner conversion. Switzerland did not give up and continued to push TTO back. They were rewarded with a field goal conversion before the physical nature of the game led 2 yellow card suspensions from either team. With 9 vs. 9 TTO scored a counter attack opportunity, securing their first win of the tournament. Final score 6-2 TTO.

Pan American Hockey Federation media release

Calypso Stickmen whip Switzerland

Nigel Simon

Goal celebration T&T senior men's hockey team players from left, Jordan Reynos, Kwandwane Browne, Darren Cowie (captain), Shaquille Daniel, Dylan Francis and Tariq Marcano in their men's Pool B match of the eight-team International Hockey Federation’s (FIH) Hockey World League Round Two Qualifiers at the National Hockey Centre, Tacarigua, on Sunday night. T&T won 6-2. Photo: Anthony Harris.

England-based Kwandwane Browne scored a quick fire penalty-corner double as T&T “Calypso Stickmen” punished Switzerland 6-2 for their first win in Pool B of the eight-team International Hockey Federation’s (FIH) Hockey World League Round Two Qualifiers at the National Hockey Centre, Tacarigua, on Sunday night.

Coming off a 3-1 loss to Russia in their opener on Saturday night, the Darren Cowie-capatined T&T squad was eager to get a positive result.

However, it was the Swiss, beaten 3-0 by Japan who started brightly and took the lead in the fifth minute through Jan Hodle, after the “Calypso Stickmen” failed top clear a goal-mouth scramble.

With a minute, T&T’s Stefan Mouttet had the ball in the Switzerland goal, however his effort was blown off for dangerous play, but two minutes later, Mouttet made amends, with a reverse-stick effort.

With four minutes left in the second 15-minuets quarter, Marcus James, who opened the scoring in the loss to Russia, put T&T ahead with he met a right sided pass from Browne.

A minutes later, Browne got his first from a well worked penalty-corner set play and a within seconds he got another and T&T’s fourth from an identical worked penalty-corner.

Seven minutes into the third quarter, England-based Tariq Marcano made it 5-1 as T&T continued to make full use of its penalty-corner set plays.

Going into the final quarter, T&T coach Glen “Fido” Francis replaced goalkeeper Andrey Rocke, with Junior Pan American Games standout Kwasi Emmanuel, and the latter proved he was up to the task with number of close goalmouth blocks as Switzerland tried to force their way back into the contest.

Emmanuel was eventually beaten from close range by Patrick Muller with ten minutes left before the contest then took a turn for the worse with both teams being reduced to nine men through yellow cards for James and Kristien Emmanuel of T&T as well as the visiting pair of Hodle and Yves Morard.

There was still time for one more goal from T&T with Shaquille Daniel, finish off a counter-attacking move by rounding the goalkeeper and lifting the ball high into the net to spark off wild celebrations.

Tonight, T&T will face its toughest test to date when it comes up against Pool B leaders, Japan from 8 pm.

Earlier on Sunday, Japan striker Kenta Tanaka continued his impressive start to the competition with two goals in a 3-1 win over Russia to help his team to a second successive victory.

Tanaka,who scored all three goals in Saturday’s 3-0 triumph over Switzerland–was almost unplayable at times, scoring two high quality field goals in the 14th and 15th minute before Kentaro Fukuda made it 3-0 in the second quarter.

Alexander Skiperskiy netted a consolation goal six minutes from time, but Japan were worthy winners of the contest.

First in action today will be Switzerland and Russia from 1.15 pm followed by Chile up Chile and USA at 3.30 and Canada and Barbados at 5.45 pm.

At the end of the round-robin stage, the finishing positions of the team will determine the line-up for the quarterfinals which begin on Thursday.

On conclusion of the tournament, the top two teams will qualify to the Hockey World League Semifinals (Hockey World Cup 2018 qualifiers) which will be held in June and July this year where those coveted berths at the Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018 in India are up for grabs.

So far Dhaka (Malaysia, China) and Belfast (Ireland, France) have seen four teams qualify for the Hockey World League Semifinals, being joined in the World Cup qualifier phase by the two highest ranked of the third placed finishers from those three events. Egypt finished in third in Dhaka and in Belfast, Scotland was third.

Current standings

Pool A

Teams P W D L F A Pts
Canada 2 2 0 0 9 3 6
USA 2 1 0 1 9 5 3
Chile 2 1 0 1 3 6 3
Barbados 2 0 0 2 2 9 0

Pool B

Teams P W D L F A Pts
Japan 2 2 0 0 6 1 6
T&T 2 1 0 1 7 5 3
Russia 2 1 0 1 4 4 3
Switzerland 2 0 0 2 2 9 0

Results: Sunday night:

USA 7 (Pat Harris 10th, 50th, Tyler Sundee 11th, William Holt 20th, Aki Kaeppeler 28th, Nick Molcsan 39th, Amardeep Khokhar 57th) vs Barbados 1 (Che Warner 53rd pen)

Canada 5 (Mark Pearson 40th, 44th, Gordon Johnston 41st, Keegan Pereira 47th, Scott Tupper 50th) vs Chile (Fernando Renz 32nd)

Group B

Japan 3 (Kenta Tanaka 14th, 15th, Kentaro Fukuda 22nd) vs Russia 1 (Alexander Skoperskiy 54th)

T&T 6 (Kwandwane Browne 27th, 28th, Stefan Mouttet 8th, Marcus James 26th, Tariq Marcano 37th,, Shaquille Daniel 59th) vs Switzerland 2 (Jan Hodle 5th, Patrick Muller 50th)

Remaining fixtures Today

B - Switzerland vs Russia, 1.15pm
A - USA vs Chile, 3.30pm
A - Canada vs Barbados, 5.45pm
B - Japan vs T&T, 8pm

Thursday Quarterfinals:

1st Pool A vs 4th Pool B, 1.15pm
2nd Pool B vs 3rd Pool A, 3.30pm
2nd Pool A vs 3rd Pool B, 5.45pm
1st Pool B vs 4th Pool A, 8pm


Fifth - Eighth semifinals (1.15pm - 3.30pm)
Main Draw semifinals (5.45pm -8pm)


Seventh place playoff, 1.15pm
Fifth place playoff, 3.30pm
Third place playoff, 5.45pm
Final, 8pm

The Trinidad Guardian

T&T stickmen put ‘bois’ on Swiss

Japan will be tough opponents, says coach ‘Fido’

By Mark Pouchet

SPLITTING RIVALS: Trinidad and Tobago forward/midfielder Mickell Pierre, centre, is challenged by two opposing Russian players during their FIH Men’s World League Tournament match at the National Hockey Centre in Tacarigua on Saturday night. Russia won 3-1. –Photo: STEPHEN DOOBAY

Trinidad and Tobago men's senior team head coach Glen “Fido” Francis rated the Team TTO's 6-2 victory over Switzerland as “excellent” as they completed their first victory over an European team on day two of the Federation of International Hockey (FIH) Men's World League Round 2 tournament currently underway at the National Hockey Centre, in Tacarigua.

And Francis says his guys are physically and mentally prepared to play the group's top team Japan today from 8pm. The T&T head coach reflected on Sunday night's win over Switzerland by saying that it had been part of the team's strategic plan for the tournament.

“The win was excellent ,” Francis assessed, as he continued planning on today's tournament's rest day, “ That's how we planned this 2-3 months ago, how we were going to approach the group. Our main objective was to win one game and we knew Russia and Japan were going to be tough so we needed to get home one of the victories and this win here was very important.”

The significance will mean they will probably evade meeting the tournament's top seed, No 11 world-ranked Canada team in the crossover quarter-final because now we don't have to meet Canada in the crossover for quarter-finals on Thursday. Canada themselves blitzed Chile with a come-from-behind 5-1 victory yesterday to follow up on their 4-2 win over the USA on the opening day Saturday in Pool A.

Trinidad & Tobago Express

T&T Stickwomen leave for Canada

An 18-member senior women’s hockey team led by captain Patricia Wright-Alexis will depart for West Vancouver, Canada today to contest the FIH Women’s World League Round Two qualifiers from April 1-9.

In Canada, T&T will come up against Pan American rivals, Canada, Chile and Mexico in Pool B, while Belarus, India and Uruguay will contest Pool A, after the withdrawal of France.

The team is a much changed one from the Round One qualifiers in Mexico, last October/November where T&T had wins over Guatemala 13-0 and 14-0, but fell to eventual winners Mexico 3-0 and 4-1.

Among the members of that squad which was also coached by former national standout, Brian Garcia and not making the cut this time are former captain, Teresa Lezama, Amanda George, Abigail Williams, Mindy Charles, Gabrielle Thompson and Kherdine Gonsalves.

In their place, Garcia recalled Brittney Hingh, Kwylan Jagassar, Amanda Tang Nian, Kimberly Young, Kristin Abreu, Katherine Benjamin and Samantha Olton.

The trio of Abreu (Northeastern University), England Premier Division player Benjamin and New Zealand-based Young are all based overseas and will link up with the team in Canada.

At the end of the tournament in Canada, the top two teams from this tournament will advance to the semifinal stage of the FIH World League.

Notable absentees from the women’s squad Blair Wynne, Australia-based Alanna Lewis, Avion Ashton and Krtistin Thompson through various reasons.

This is the third time the T&T women have qualified for the second round of qualifiers after doing so on home soil in 2012 as third placed finishers behind Canada and Uruguay and again in 2014.

In 2012, the “Calypso Stickwomen” hammered Barbados (7-0), Guyana (5-0) and Venezuela (5-1) for a 3-2 record following losses to Canada (0-4) and runner-up Uruguay, 0-2.

However, in round two, held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2013, T&T finished fifth in the six-team competition with a 1-4 record after a lone win against the host, 3-1.

T&T was beaten by tournament winners USA (7-0), runner-up Chile (6-0), third placed Scotland (7-0) and Uruguay, 6-1.

At its second outing in the tournament in Kingston, Jamaica, in 2014, T&T had wins over Puerto Rico (5-1), Dominican Republic (3-1), Jamaica (2-0) and Barbados (2-0) to top round one.

But Round Two which was held in Montevideo, Uruguay proved again to be an uphill task for the T&T women went under to Azerbaijan (5-1) and France (3-0), but defeated Kenya (5-0) in pool play before losing to Italy (3-0), beating Dominican Republic (3-2) and losing to France again, 6-1 in the fifth place playoff.

T&T women’s squad

Kristin Abreu, Katherine Benjamin, Petal Derry (goalkeeper), Chelsea Dey, Kayla Marie Escayg (goalkeeper), Brittney Hingh, Zene Henry, Kwylan Jagassar, Felicia King, Sekayi Liburd, Yesenia Luces, Fiona O’Brien, Saarah Olton, Samantha Olton, Anya Sealy, Amanda Tang Nian, Patricia Wright-Alexis (captain), Kimberly Young

Technical Staff

Brian Garcia (head coach), Solomon Eccles (assistant coach), Garth Baptiste (manager), Kemoy Clarke (assistant manager), Derek Ashby (trainer), Karielle De Bique (physiotherapist), Nicholas Baldeosingh (video analyst)

FIH World League Round Two women’s fixtures

April 1

India vs Uruguay, 12 noon
Chile vs T&T, 2.15pm
Canada vs Mexico, 4.30pm

April 2

Belarus vs India, 12 noon
Mexico vs T&T, 2.15pm
Chile vs Canada, 4.30pm

April 4

Mexico vs Chile, 12 noon
Uruguay vs Belarus, 2.15pm
Canada vs T&T, 4.30pm

April 6: Quarterfinals, 2.15 pm & 4.30pm

April 8: Fifth/Seventh place playoff, noon
Semifinals, 2.15pm & 4.30pm

April 9: Fifth/Sixth place playoff, noon • Third place playoff, 2.15pm • Final, 4.30pm

The Trinidad Guardian

Kookaburras defeat Pakistan 6 -1 at International Hockey Open

First game of the year

Holly MacNeil

The Kookaburras kicked off their first game of the year today with a huge 6 – 1 win against Pakistan at the Marrara Hockey Stadium. Kiran Arunasalam made his debut for the Kookaburras in front of over 600 enthusiastic local school children, including 20 who had travelled from as far as Katherine to attend the game.

The Kookaburras scored the first goal of the match, with Trent Mitton making a play for goal which saw the ball knocked into the net from the right of the circle giving the Australian’s the start they were after.

With only a minute to go in the first term, the Kookaburras were on for the second goal of the game by way of a penalty corner opportunity. The Aussies made a great play, with a strong injection from Tom Craig leading to a powerful flick from Darwin local Jeremy Hayward which defied Pakistan goalkeeper Mazhar Abbas to fly into the net.

The second quarter was tough for the Kookaburras, with the Pakistan defense on high alert, resulting in the score remaining at 2 – nil going into half time. The Kookaburras saw the opportunity in the third quarter, with Tom Wickham fighting back to extend the lead for the Aussies, clocking a field goal from the left of the net.

The final quarter was chock full of action, with Matt Dawson scoring a field goal at minute 48, only to be backed up by a double from new recruit Ben Craig, who scored his two field goals within minutes of one another – the second of which came from a spectacular reverse flick.

Right as the buzzer sounded on the 60th minute of play, Pakistan captain Abdul Haseem Khan scored for his team, with his field goal leaving the final score at Australia 6 – 1 Pakistan.

Kookaburras head coach Colin Batch said: “The score line was 6 – 1, but I think we have to put that into context. Pakistan made it very difficult for us for a number of quarters, the second was tough and the third we didn’t create too much but we ended up getting the third goal and that opened up the game for us.

“Overall, we were pretty consistent, so I was pleased to see that particularly in these conditions. There’s plenty to work on before tomorrow night; we had a bit of trouble coming out from the Pakistan high press so we have to look at that. We spoke about it in the game and it was better in the second half, but I would like a clearer picture of what we need to do tomorrow.”

The Kookaburras next take on Pakistan tomorrow evening at 7pm ACST at the Marrara Hockey Stadium, with tickets available through www.Ntix.com.au

Trent Mitton 11 (FG)
Jeremy Hayward 14 (PC)
Tom Wickham 44 (FG)
Matt Dawson 48 (FG)
Ben Craig 51, 53 (FG)

Abdul Haseem Khan 60 (FG) 

Kookaburras squad v Pakistan
Kiran Arunasalam (Doncaster East, VIC) 1/0
Josh Beltz (Hobart, TAS) 16/2
Ben Craig (Lane Cove, NSW) 9/2
Matthew Dawson (Killarney Valley, NSW) 63/9
Jeremy Edwards (Hobart, TAS) 9/1
Jeremy Hayward (Darwin, NT) 70/25
Aaron Kleinschmidt (Melbourne, VIC) 10/2
Mark Knowles (Rockhampton, QLD) 292/24
Tyler Lovell (Perth, WA) 76/0
Trent Mitton (Perth, WA) 103/41
Flynn Ogilvie (Wollongong, NSW) 44/12
Jake Whetton (Brisbane, QLD) 115/48
Matthew Willis (Tamworth, NSW) 17/2

Used Substitutes
Tristan Clemons (Bunbury, WA) 31/0
Tom Craig (Lane Cove, NSW) 25/9
Matthew Dawson (Killarney Valley, NSW) 63/8
Casey Hammond (Bundoora, VIC) 9/0
Josh Pollard (Melbourne, VIC) 10/0
Tom Wickham (Adelaide, SA) 3/1

Hockey Australia media release

Australia outplay Pakistan 6-1 in the Opening Hockey Test

The 4-test hockey series between world's top side Australia and the 14th ranked Pakistan kicked off at the Marrara hockey stadium in Darwin, the capital city of Australia's Northern Territory.

The gulf in the rankings showed in the game as the Aussies dominated the proceedings most of the time and defeated Pakistan by the tennis score of 6-1.
Half Time: 2-0

Kookaburras head coach Colin Batch said, :The score line was 6-1, but I think we have to put that into context. Pakistan made it very difficult for us for a number of quarters, the second was tough and third we didnt create too much but we ended up getting the third goal and that opened up the game for us."

Australia 6 (Ben Craig 2, Trent Mitton, Tom Wickham, Matt Dawson & Jeremy Hayward (PC)
Pakistan 1 (Abdul Haseem Khan)

Second test is scheduled on Wednesday.

PHF Media release

Van der Weerden hits 200th goal in big OR win

Mink van der Weerden scored his 200th goal in the Dutch Hoofdklasse with a four goal salvo as HC Oranje-Rood produced their best performance of the season to beat Blomendaal 5-4.

The ace striker netted three times in the first half to build a 3-1 lead only for a couple of goals from Blake Govers and one from Thierry Brinkman had the game back level with 25 minutes to go.

But a fourth from van der Weerden and another from Niek van der Schoot put the Eindhoven club in pole position to win the game with goalkeeper Pirmin Blaak making a great save to close out the win.

Looking back on scoring three goals from four corners, a 75% success rate, the corner striker said: “That's not a standard percentage!”

The result strengthens Oranje Rood’s place in the top four, keeping three points between them in third and fifth placed SV Kampong.

Kampong edged out Den Bosch 4-3 having earlier built a 4-0 lead before allowing their opponents back into the game. The result puts Den Bosch nine points back from the top four and probably out of the playoff race while HGC also look set to miss out following a 2-1 defeat at home against Tilburg.

Rotterdam remain in fourth place as a Jeroen Hertzberger set of four goals under-pinned a 9-2 win over Qui Vive.

Justin Reid-Ross scored a hat trick against his former club as AH&BC Amsterdam beat Pinoke 6-1 to close the gap to Bloemendaal at the top of the table to three points.

Euro Hockey League media release

Wimbledon close out English regular season with Surbiton draw

Wimbledon closed out their regular season campaign in England in top spot with a 3-3 draw against fellow play-off qualifiers Surbiton on the last day of the season despite having taken a 3-0 lead.

Goals from Phillip Ball, Johnny Kinder and Borja Llorens appeared to have put Wimbledon on the path to victory, but Arjan Drayton Chana, Gareth Furlong and then Luke Noblett scored to earn Surbiton a share of the spoils.

The club now have the Euro Hockey League KO16 to focus on in Eindhoven as their next port of call with a date against UHC Hamburg.

After that, they will look to the English finals weekend on April 22 and 23 with a semi-final date against Hampstead and Westminster.

The other two sides to qualify for the play-offs in England, Holcombe and Hampstead and Westminster, drew 3-3. Ian Harvey, Gareth Andrew and Samuel Ward struck for Holcombe whilst Jonny Codling, Samuel French and Peter Makin scored for Hampstead.

Beeston moved ahead of East Grinstead into fifth in the final standings by defeating them 2-0, Richard Lawrence and Joe Sharp the goal heroes in the second half.

Euro Hockey League media release

Grange take top spot in men’s National League 1

Photo by Mark Pugh

It is all change at the top of the men`s National League 1; in an early fixture leaders Bromac Kelburne succumbed 2-1 to fourth placed Uddingston at Glasgow Green, before Grange took advantage of the news and beat Edinburgh University by the same score to take a single point lead at the top with only three games left in the competition.

Two set piece strikes by Steven Percy was the catalyst in Uddingston`s 2-1 win over Kelburne.

In an ill-tempered game, Kelburne were reduced to nine players in the first half when Adam Bain and Josh Cairns were sent to the sin bin with yellow cards, then in the closing minutes the latter saw red.

Percy put Uddingston ahead in 15 minutes with a penalty corner shot that went in off the goalkeeper`s pads.

It looked as if Kelburne had weathered the storm when Cairns found the net with a low shot at another set piece to level the score at 1-1 at the interval.

It was mostly Kelburne in the second half as they searched for the breakthrough, but the Lanarkshire defence held firm. The best chance fell to Johnny Christie on his own in the circle but uncharacteristically he dwelt too long on the ball and the opportunity evaporated.

But Uddingston were not to be denied their moment of glory, at their only penalty corner of the second half Percy found a way past the goalkeeper as well as the defender on the line for the winner.

Kelburne continued to press for the equaliser, Ben Peterson sent a shot just wide of the target, but Uddingston held out for a famous victory.

However, the result leaves Uddingston favourites for a top four place, a real accolade for Coach Callum McLeod in his first year.

With the news in mind Grange took a two goal lead into the interval against city neighbours Edinburgh University at Peffermill. The first was a well-taken strike by Irishman Frank Ryan, the second emanated from brilliant individual skills by Joe Waterston which was finished off by a reverse stick shot into the bottom corner of the net.

The students pulled one back ten minutes into the second half, Grange`s Callum Milne missed from the spot, this led to a nervy finish but Grange held on for the vital three points.

Grove Menzieshill have probably done enough to lay claim to third spot in the table with a 4-1 win over second bottom Clydesdale.

The Taysiders opened up a two goal lead in the first half through Ben Cosgrove and Adam Fallis from a rebound at a penalty corner.

The visitors pulled one back midway through the second half from Struan Walker with a fierce reverse stick shot.  But the three points were finally secured with a late double by Gavin Byers, both from a narrow angle off Clydesdale defenders.

Western Wildcats moved well out of relegation trouble with a six-goal win over Watsonians, the result puts the Auchenhowie side up to fifth in the table, now only a single point away from the top four.

The Wildcats were three up by the interval, Fraser Moran scored twice and Adam McKenzie followed up with an overtime penalty corner strike. In the second half Joe McConnell added a fourth with a rebound at a penalty corner and the scoring was then completed by a double from Rob Harwood. The Auchenhowie side kept a clean sheet at the other end courtesy of a couple of brilliant saves by goalkeeper Gavin Sommerville and a goal line stop by Fabian Goldie.

Gordonians pulled off their second victory of the season with a 2-1 win away at Hillhead, the Aberdonians are now only four points adrift of Clydesdale.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Kenya Police move to league summit


Calvins Kanu of Kenya Police (left) vies for the ball with Ahmed Amr of Eastern Company during their Africa Cup of Club Championship match at City Park Stadium on January 10, 2017. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Former league champions Kenya Police stormed to the top of the Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League table after the weekend’s round of matches.

The 2013 champions recorded a hard-fought 2-0 win over Chase Sailors in Sunday’s last game to move to six points. Second half strikes from new signing Amos Barkibir and Captain Brian Saina were enough to see the law enforcers’ exact revenge on the bankers who beat them 3-2 last season.

It was Police’s second win of the season after their 3-1 win over Kenya College of Accountancy University in their opener. Police coach Kenneth Kaunda has challenged his charges to maintain the consistency.

“It is a long season and the key to emerging victorious will be winning many matches and dropping few points. That is our aim.” Kaunda said on Monday. The Police defence was able to keep Sailors danger man George Mutira at bay.

Wazalendo, who are in second place, lead four other teams all tied on four points. Wazalendo secured their first win of the season after they won 2-0 away to Nakuru hockey club to move two points behind leaders Police.

Greensharks, who finished fourth last year, also secured their first win of the new campaign after edging out Parkroad Badgers 1-0 thanks to Alex Kubasu’s 63rd minute goal. The result put them in third place ahead of USIU and champions Strathmore University Gladiators, who complete the top five places.

Gladiators needed a Clayson Luvanda equaliser six minutes from time to escape with a point away to Western Jaguars in Kakamega.  Jaguars are in sixth place also on four points one ahead of Butali Sugar Warriors, who were not in action this weekend.

It was a high scoring weekend in the women’s Premier League, where a total of 29 goals were scored in three matches. Champions Telkom Orange put 10 past a hapless United States International University of Africa (USIU-A) Spartans to maintain top spot with six points after two successive wins this season.

Last season’s top scorer Jackline Mwangi hit a hat-trick to take her tally of the season to four.

Strathmore University Scorpions are also on six points after they eased past newcomers University of Nairobi 5-1 at City Park Stadium. Kenya international Gilly Okumu and Nancy Wanjue both scored twice with defender Elizabeth Ngombo adding the other.

Amira Sailors were the biggest winners of the weekend after their 12-1 win over Multimedia University handed them their first win of the season and took them to third on the log.

Daily Nation

Police arrest Sailors at City Park

By Elizabeth Mburugu

Chase Sailors George Mutira with the ball as Kenya Police Felix Okoth blocks when they played Men Premier at City Park yesterday, 17/07/2016. Chase Sailors scored 3-2. PHOTO: JENIPHER WACHIE

Former champions Kenya Police recorded their second win this season after defeating Chase Sailors 2-0 in a Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League match at City Park.

Two second-half goals from new signing Amos Barkibir and Brian Saina were enough to see the law enforcers exact revenge on the bankers, who beat them 3-2 last season.

For Police, the trophy has proved elusive since 2013, when they last won, but are now seeking to reclaim their lost glory.

They launched their campaign on a positive note with a 3-1 win over Kenya College of Accountancy University.

Saina said they are taking a match at a time with the aim of securing maximum points.

“This season’s title will be bagged by the team that wins most matches, unlike last season, when the winner was decided through playoffs. We were unlucky after we were eliminated in the semi-finals.

"Winning is the only secret this season and we determined to go all the way, Saina said.

Not ready to fall to Sailors for the second time, Police approached the match cautiously, keeping the bankers' strikers at bay.

However, the two sides were at par in the first half as they made several daring attacks, but with little success.

Police backline of Sammy Oungo, Richard Birir and Robert Masibo kept Sailors hit-man captain George Mutira under close watch as they thwarted all his efforts to penetrate their territory.

Both sides lost several chances as they headed for the break level at 0-0. On resumption, Police surged forward and their efforts paid off through former Western Jaguars forward Barkibir, who outwitted Sailors defence and goalkeeper Collins Asimba in the 43rd minute.

Saina converted a penalty corner five minutes to time to give Police the deserved victory.

In Nakuru, Wazalendo defeated their hosts Nakuru HC 2-0. Sharks earned their first win this year after edging out Parkroad Badgers 1-0 thanks to Alex Kubasu’s 63rd minute goal.

In women’s title chase, last year’s second place finishers Strathmore University Scorpions thrashed University of Nairobi 5-1. Nancy Wanjue and Gilly Okumu scored a brace each.

The Standard Online

One month to showtime

League finals Surbiton

With League Finals weekend just four weeks away, we take a look at the teams who will be taking their place at this showcase event for English club hockey.

Over the next few weeks, we will meet the teams and some of the players who will be bringing their own style and pizazz to the Lee Valley Hockey Centre for a weekend of exhilarating action and uncompromising competition between the best men’s and women’s teams in the country. But first, a run-down of which teams will be in action and how they got there.

In the women’s event – the Investec Women’s Hockey League – it remains the Surbiton show as last year’s champions negotiated a season in which every team was vying to be the side that ended a historic 53 game unbeaten run. Eventually, the south-west London club did slip up – a 3-2 loss at the hands of Leicester, but that didn't un-rail Surbiton as they finished top of the tree with 15 wins, two drawn matches and just that one loss.

Holcombe will be rueing their inability to close a game out as they suffered five draws on their way to second place. Their most notable win came when they beat East Grinstead in a tense 3-2 encounter, but they will also be disappointed to have lost vital points to Slough, Canterbury and Bowdon Hightown – all teams Holcombe were very capable of beating.

East Grinstead came third, despite winning fewer games than the fourth placed University of Birmingham. They will be looking for the team to go one better than their 1-1 draw with Surbiton at the early part of the season and will also take heart from the fact that they have beaten both of the other finalists this season – Holcombe 1-0, and University of Birmingham 4-1. Less pleasing is that in the return fixture, East Grinstead lost both matches.

The students from Birmingham University have enjoyed a good season but it really came down to the wire as four teams were in a position to take the coveted fourth spot on the last weekend of regular league action. Amy Costello and Holly Hunt sealed it for Birmingham with a 2-1 win over Canterbury, to move the team ahead of nearest rivals, Clifton Robinsons.

There was a parallel outcome in the Men’s Hockey League as last year’s champions Wimbledon posted a solid seven point gap between them and nearest rivals Holcombe. The south London side endured a three match streak of drawn results in the early part of the season and a uncharacteristic 5-2 loss to second-from-bottom side Canterbury but, those results aside, Wimbledon will be a hard team to beat.

Just four points separated second to fourth, but somehow Holcombe overcame four league defeats to finish in second place. The Kent side will need to reverse their two losses to Wimbledon, but will take heart from some their league wins over Hampstead and Westminster and Surbiton.

Surbiton were the draw-masters of the season, posting eight draws, including a 3-3 nail biter on the last day of the regular league season. However, the defence will need to shore up for Final’s weekend as a 4-4 and 3-3 draw with Brooklands MU and Canterbury, were results that Surbiton would rather forget.

The final team to make up the quartet of finalists is Hampstead and Westminster. Kwan Browne and his men have made steady progress over the season with just four losses to their name. The London side will need to reverse form against all three of their competitors – they have drawn and lost to all of them this season – but they have also shown a real tenacity and maintenance of form to defeat Reading 5-4 and East Grinstead 4-3 in the past month of league action.

And so the scene is set and the next four weeks will see the eight sides preparing for showdown and the chance to secure a place in the European Hockey Federation top club competitions.

England Hockey Board Media release

Totally terrific hockey played

MD for SPAR KZN, Max Oliva thanked the girls for putting on such a wonderful display of hockey.

Sanelisiwe Tsinde

Werda Skool's head Norman van Rooyen and tournament director, Les Galloway enjoy the drama unfolding on the turf.

AMANZIMTOTI High School raised the trophy as the Durban South Regional champions in the SPAR KZN School Girls’ Hockey Challenge for the third time in a row.

It was anyone’s trophy going into the last game of the round robin, with the statisticians working hard, double checking the points.

As the final whistle blew, Kuswag Skool had a guaranteed place in the final and a penalty shootout was required to decide on the second team, taking to the field for a Toti duel were Kingsway High School and the defending champions, Amanzimtoti.

Kingsway took the first attempt with Leoni de Beer meeting the full force of brave keeper, Nomcebo Maseko who charged out and met her at the top of the circle. Youngster, Mvelo Mthombeni from Amanzimtoti slotted in her attempt putting the score to 0-1 after the first round.

Kingsway’s second attempt was rewarded as Maseko zealously played the ball outside the circle. On the retake, Nosipho Mngadi levelled the score for Kingsway. Fourteen-year-old Anani Xozwa’s chance was thwarted as she found the courageous Teneze Csouros.

At the end of the second round, the score was one a piece, Erin Main managed to avoid a flying Maseko, with an open goal tempting her, her shot went agonisingly wide for KHS.

Captain for Amanzimtoti, Phiwo Myeza took to the spot and fired in her shot, with the ball floating over the cross bar.

The decider then went to a sudden death. Mngadi put her hand up and stepped up to the spot, she found the right boot of a charging Maseko with the ball flying out of the circle.

The captain, Myeza then determinedly found the back of the net in her attempt, taking her team into the final.

Coach for Amanzimtoti High School, Shanna Hughes said, “‘Phiwo came up to me after she missed her first attempt and assured me, ‘Don’t worry Ma’am, I’ve got this and she did. She also scored the goal in the final, leading by example!”

In each region, an umpire is recognised for his or her abilities and is awarded the Most Promising Umpire prize. At the Durban South Regional umpire Kalvin van Rensburg representing Kingsway High School shone with the whistle and took the honours of the M.P.U. this year.

MD for SPAR KZN, Max Oliva said, “In the blustery, hot conditions the action on the turf kept turning up a notch as the day wore on.

Oliva thanked Grosvenor Girls’, Kingsway, New Forest, Queensburgh Girls’ High, Werda and the two finalists, for coming down and putting on such a wonderful display of hockey. “Well done to all.”

Amanzimtoti takes the fourth berth at the Grand Finals and join St John’s DSG and St Anne’s who both earned their place on Saturday at the Pietermaritzburg Regionals.

The three teams will be accompanied by Ferrum who were crowned the Norther KZN Regional in Pongola

Keeping an eye on their team, Queensburgh Girls' High supporters, Pam and Viven Chetty.

Highway Mail

JHL; Olak-NurInsafi in a bind

By Jugjet Singh

Olak-NurInsafi manager Joseph de Silva.

OLD La Sallians Asociation of Klang (Olak) are crying foul because they are not being allowed to change two players for the Malaysian Junior Hockey League which begins end of March.

Olak, who have re-branded themselves as Olak-NurInsafi, are even ready to pull out of the tournament if they are not allowed to do so.

"We understand that the registration of players closed on March 15 and we did submit our name list. However, two of our players can't make it due to various reasons and I applied on compassion grounds to make changes.

"But the Tournament Director rejected it saying that he will follow the rules and we need to show a medical cert to make changes. This boys have different problems, and we feel victimised, as we have been given the run-around on a small matter," said Olak-NurInsafi manager Joseph de Silva.

De Silva is also peeved that after approving the JHL fixtures to start on March 31, he received an email stating that three matches on that day, including Olak's, will be postponed to allow sports school boys to play in the Asian Under-18 Schools Championship in India.

"I received the email on March 25, saying that March 31 matches will be postponed to the end of the JHL because of the Asian Schools tournament.

"We have already made bookings for accommodation and travel as we were slated to play in Johor Baru on Friday (at SSTMI) and on Sunday in Batu Pahat.

"I believe since they want us to cancel our bookings and travel arrangements and pay a fine, the Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) should also hear our case before making a blanket judgement.

"Olak are the JHL pioneers and we will be playing in our 22nd year in the JHL. if the MHC can't show some compassion towards us, we might as well withdraw," said De Silva.

Another team is also facing the same predicament, as they can't replace a player who went AWOL after signing the consent form.

JHL Tournament Director P. Kuganesan said he is just going by the book.

"As all are aware, registration closed on March 15 and players can only be replaced if the team management can provide a medical certificate to state that he is not fit, or injured and can't play.

"As for the Asian Schools, I was informed by the Ministry of Education that sports school players from BJSS Thunderbolts, Pahang SS-Thunderbolts, and SSTMI-Thunderbolts will be in India for the tournament.

"As such, we had to postpone three matches involving these teams on the first day of the JHL season.

"Olak or other teams with these problems can approach higher ranked officials in the MHC if they feel they are being victimised," said Kuganesan.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Teams up in arms over called-off MJHL matches

by S. Ramaguru

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Junior Hockey League (MJHL) has run into a snag.

The league will start on Friday but already three opening-day matches – STMI vs Olak Nurinsafi, BJSS Thunderbolt vs SMK Datuk Bentara Luar-Johor Juniors and AHP-MSP Thunderbolt vs MBPJ – have been called off. The reason: some of the players are representing Malaysia in the Asian Schools Championship, which begins in New Delhi on Saturday.

The postponement did not go down well with some teams, especially Olak Nurinsafi.

“The dates for the Asian Schools were fixed a long time ago. All the MJHL teams were given a draft fixtures but they didn’t say anything. Why didn’t they bring the matter up earlier?” said Olak Nurinsafi team manager Joseph de Silva

“We have made hotel and transport bookings in Johor Baru for Friday’s match. Will the Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) reimburse us for it?

“The three matches should not be postponed at all. Just let these teams’ fringe players play. Just stick to the fixtures. It’s as simple as that,” added Joseph.

Joseph was also not happy that they were not allowed to make changes to their team list.

“In the past, teams were allowed to make last-minute changes. We made the request last week but were given the run around. We’ve been competing in the MJHL for the last 20 years and this is the first time we are facing such an issue,” he said.

There are 30 competing teams this year. The Division One will have 10 teams while the rest will be divided into two three groups in Division Two.

The teams in the top flight are SSTMI Thunderbolt, BJSS Thunderbolt, UniKL, MBPJ, Olak-Nurinsafi, Anderson Thunderbolt, AHP-MSP-Thunderbolt, SMK Datuk Bentara Luar-Johor Juniors, Politeknik Malaysia KPT and BJSS Juniors.

The Star of Malaysia

Masters Regional WA Trip Success

WA Masters Hockey Trip well received by local Associations

Penny Sidhu

Now into its third year, the annual WA Country Masters Hockey Association Promo Trip to regional Western Australia has been a big success.  A squad of 18 masters hockey players from regional WA, representing grades from Over 35s to Over 60s have hit the road to take the masters’ message to players in smaller regional centres in the Great Southern region of the state.

Each year WA Country looks to new Associations to visit, this year Mt Barker in the Lower Great Southern and Gnowangerup in the Central Great Southern were approached to host and both were a resounding yes.

First stop on the trip was Mt Barker, but prior to playing the Saturday night game the WA Country players provided a player and umpire clinic for local Mt Barker hockey enthusiasts. 25 players attended the umpiring clinic while over 50 players took part in the hour long playing/goal keeping clinics.  A highlight for some of the more senior players taking part in the clinic was the opportunity to be coached by Australian Masters player Craig Emslie.

Once the clinics were done, it was game time, and the WA Country players were honoured with WA Country’s Member number 1 and the very first Life Member of the Association Max Paget turning up to watch the game.  Max and his wife Joyce have retired to Mount Barker and sat front and centre to watch the match.
It was a very competitive game played in great spirit on Mt Barker’s new turf at their excellent Sounness Park facility, with the WAC team coming out victors 7-2.  After the game and as per the norm at the National Masters Championships, the WAC team joined with the Mt Barker team for an after game social function and presentation of player and manager awards. WA Country’s President Murray Connop took the opportunity to speak to the large crowd on hand and promote Masters hockey and how the local players could get involved.

He also thanked Rachel Wright from Mt Barker for all her hard work organising what had been a top visit.

It was an early start Sunday as the WAC convoy rolled out of Mt Barker and headed to the town of Gnowangerup, a leisurely 90 minute drive to the next game. Arriving at the facility, the WAC players were once again impressed with the quality of both the turf and the clubrooms that the local association shared with a number of other sports from the region.

The Gnowangerup team was made up of local players from the region, including the towns of Woodanilling and Tambellup and only having had a small break from the game the night before the WAC team were expecting a very competitive game.  And they got it.While the WAC team played a very line driven rotation, the local team played what country hockey in WA is well known for, fast and hard.  The sore bodies of the WAC team was evident as the sub bench kept a very constant flow of players looking for a break, but the Gnowangerup team kept up the attack.

The WAC system of playing in lines and keeping the rotations flowing saw them run out winners 7-1, but it was a much more competitive game then the score line showed. Again, the WAC team made sure that after the game they enjoyed the local hospitality with a great bbq lunch, the presentation of player awards and the opportunity to spread the masters words to players in regional WA.

WAC President Murray Connop said of the trip, “These trips to regional WA Associations are a great way to take the message to the players rather than relying on them not getting the information that is sometimes not easily available.  Our guys cannot sign up quick enough to come on the trips and they make every effort to talk to the opposition players and tell them why they love Masters so much.  We’ve been to Kalgoorlie, Geraldton, Merredin, Albany, Mt Barker and now Gnowangerup, and the big question is where to next year?”

Hockey Australia media release

Indoor hockey camp proves to be a learning curve for UJ stars, Cheneal Raubenheimer and Isabella da Rocha

Cheneal Raubenheimer (orange) of UJ battles for the ball with Wits player, Belinda Plaatjies (yellow) during a Varsity Hockey encounter at UJ in Johannesburg in 2015. Photo: SASPA

JOBURG – UJ pair bolstered by invaluable game time following provisional selection trials held in KwaZulu-Natal ahead of the Indoor Hockey World Cup qualifiers to be held in Namibia in June.

University of Johannesburg (UJ) students Cheneal Raubenheimer and Isabella da Rocha were buoyed by some invaluable game time when they attended the South African national indoor hockey training camp held in KwaZulu-Natal.

The camp took the form of a round-robin competition and acted as a provisional selection event for the South African senior women’s hockey side ahead of the Indoor Hockey World Cup qualifiers in Namibia starting in June.

Despite neither player being new to national team selection, the pair felt that the camp had much to offer. “The camp was definitely a success for me,” said 23-year old Da Rocha. “It was rather tough as we played seven games in three days, but I learnt a lot through the whole process.” In addition, Da Rocha, who plays in defence for the 1st team UJ woman’s side, indicated that the provisional selection games served as an eye-opener.

“Every time I go to camp, I learn more about the structure of the team and how we should be attacking and defending in different circumstances.” Currently, in pursuit of a Higher Certificate in Business Management qualification, the defender said indoor hockey was a technical sport that required constant fine-tuning of one’s skills.

She added that the guidance received from the coaching staff at the training camp helped immeasurably to hone her skills. “Our coach, Lennie Botha, was really helpful in guiding me when I made mistakes on the field. He helped me understand what I should be doing instead. This really helped me grow as a player and, at this moment, become a better defender.”

Da Rocha said she would now turn her full attention to the upcoming World Cup qualifiers and the 2018 Indoor Hockey World Cup in England in July.

Raubenheimer, who is completing her third year in Retail and Business Management, represented the Proteas in 2014 in field hockey. She is, however, relatively new to the indoor hockey scene, finding that she needed to adjust to the fast pace of the game.

She said, “It is much faster than field hockey, so you always have to be aware of what’s going on around you. I keep learning new things, whether technically, tactically or even about myself.” The forward was, however, reluctant to look too far into the future, saying that her immediate focus was on the upcoming Varsity Hockey tournament in May. “It is the first tournament on my list and I want to put all my energy into that.”

North Eastern Tribune

KSHA turf misses March deadline

Sunil Subbaiah

BENGALURU: With less than a month left for the Hockey India National Sub-Junior Boys Championship (B Division) to be held at the KSHA stadium here, the turf looks far from ready.

The facility, which was expected to be delivered by the end of March, will be further delayed by nearly three weeks. Delhi-based Syncott International, which bagged the tender from the Department of Youth Empowerment and Sports (DYES), could not complete the project due to the lack of manpower.

However a DYES official told TOI that the tournament would not be affected as the work is set to resume from Tuesday. "Workers employed to do the job went on leave for Holi and returned only today (Monday). Work will begin tomorrow (Tuesday) and we are hoping to complete the project in another 10-15 days."

The turf, from Dutch manufacturer Greenfields, which has been rolled out and spread on the bitumen surface, will be glued in the coming days. This will be followed by marking the field and fixing goalposts. Civil works on the drainage and installation of sprinklers and high-energy floodlights too are pending.

It is also learnt that Hockey Karnataka officials are scheduled to meet the DYES director on Tuesday to discuss the issue. Work on the turf began at the end of August last year.

The Times of India

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author