Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 15 May 2016

All the news for Sunday 15 May 2016

First ever all-Dutch EHL Grand Final

SV Kampong will face AH&BC Amsterdam in the first ever all-Dutch Euro Hockey League final tomorrow in the sunny surrounds of the Pau Negre Stadium in Barcelona.

Neither have won the competition before meaning we will have a fifth different champion in five seasons.

Amsterdam were the first take up their GRAND FINAL spot courtesy of a 4-2 win over 2014 champions Harvestehuder THC. They had built a 3-0 lead thanks to Mirco Pruyser, Robert Tigges and Justin Reid-Ross but a Felix Mathes corner slap gave HTHC hope before the break.

Finn Kohler then reduced the gap further to make it 3-2 with plenty of time to go. Pruyser, however, ensured the victory with a goal five minutes from the end to seal their final ticket.

Tigges described the game as “a typical semi-final” after the match.

“The Germans never give up, especially in the end. You think you are ok at 4-2 up and yet it was still so exciting. I don’t know if they got a touch for 4-3 from Michael Korper and luckily for us there was no decision possible.

“It took a while for us to secure the game and we had several chances and I think we were the better team but it is tough to play them.”

For Amsterdam, it was an impressive way to bounce back after they lost to Oranje Zwart in the Dutch national final last weekend.

“We had a good drink on Sunday night to release the tension and stay together as a team, a nice training on Tuesday and from there we had a full focus.

“None of us ever won the EHL before; it’s a beautiful competition, the toughest teams in a really nice atmosphere in Barcelona – what else could you want? The biggest prize in club hockey that you can win!”

Kampong showed their raw power to blow away Atlètic Terrassa 5-1 with an array of spectacular goals to deny the Catalan side in front of their fervent support.

Martijn Havenga set them on their way before Dani Malgosa equalised but further goals from Qurijn Caspers, Bjorn Kellerman, Philip Meulenbroek and Robbert Kemperman saw them pull away.

Speaking afterwards, coach Alexander Cox said it was a confident performance from his team: “We had a lot of work to do in the first half and the last quarter was, sort of, killing off the game and keep the win and I think we did a good job.”

Looking forward to the final against their Dutch rivals, he added: “We had three difficult matches against Amsterdam, one that we won and two losses. We know them really well, they know us so its going to be a big battle and an interesting opponent.

“This is a different competition and a different atmosphere. Those games are history and tomorrow’s game we will create a new history!”

The GRAND FINAL will take place at 2pm (CET) between SV Kampong and AH&BC Amsterdam with the bronze medal match on at 11.30am (CET) between Harvestehuder THC and Atlètic Terrassa.

FINAL4 results: Harvestehuder THC 2 (F Mathes, F Kohler) AH&BC Amsterdam 4 (M Pruyser 2, J Reid-Ross, R Tigges);SV Kampong 5 (M Havenga, Q Caspers, B Kellerman, P Meulenbroek, R Kemperman) Atlètic Terrassa 1 (D Malgosa Gasol)

Sunday’s fixtures (all at Pau Negre Stadium, Barcelona)

GRAND FINAL: AH&BC Amsterdam vs SV Kampong, 2pm (CET)

3-4 PLAYOFF: Harvestehuder THC vs Atlètic Terrassa, 11.30am (CET)

Euro Hockey League media release

Amsterdam hold off HTHC fightback

AH&BC Amsterdam claimed the first GRAND FINAL berth as they withstood a mighty Harvestehuder THC comeback, meaning there will be a new name on the Alain Danet Trophy.

Amsterdam were in blistering form for much of the first half and they took the lead when Billy Bakker and Valentin Verga worked the ball around in a lovely triangle.

Verga took on the shot that might have been going in but Mirco Pruyser made sure of the goal with a tap in at the left post. Justin Reid-Ross made it 2-0 in the 18th minute from a corner for her seventh goal of the competition.

HTHC were making their own chances with Tobias Hauke and David Goodfield exchanging chances while Teun Rohof charged down a drag-flick.

But it became 3-0 when Pruyser stole the ball on halfway and picked out Verga. Again, he fired it goalward, beating Tobias Walter. It looked to have crossed the line but Robert Tigges was lurking and tipped it in for good measure.

Harvestehuder are known as the comeback kings for good reason and they got on the scoreboard quickly when Felix Mathes slapped a corner shot into the backboard. A lengthy video referral followed regarding the height of the shot as it deflected off a shin but the goal stood.

Six minutes into the second half, Finn Kohler burst through the midfield, twisting his way into the circle where he picked off a reverse-stick shot that bounced into the corner of the goal for 3-2.

But Amsterdam held their nerve and Pruyser made the game safe from a 55th minute corner. Reid-Ross’s drag-flick was blocked but they recovered the ball and worked three passes to Prusyer to tip in for 4-2.

They held on for the win, eliminating the only former champions, meaning there will be a new name on the Alain Danet Trophy for this season.

FINAL4: Harvestehuder THC 2 (F Mathes, F Kohler) AH&BC Amsterdam 4 (M Pruyser 2, J Reid-Ross, R Tigges)

Euro Hockey League media release

Five-star Kampong too strong for Atletic

SV Kampong showed their raw power to blow away Atlètic Terrassa and make it an all-Dutch EHL GRAND FINAL against AH&BC Amsterdam on Sunday in Barcelona.

It was a performance packed with glorious goals coming from all angles. Martijn Havenga got the first of them with a rocket of a drag-flick to the roof of the net in the fourth minute.

Dani Malgosa Gasol equalised quickly with an unorthodox volley over his head after his initial control bounced high. From there, it was all Kampong.

Bjorn Kellerman’s low cross fell to Constantijn Jonker who whipped the ball to the unmarked Quirijn Caspers on the back post to tap in. Kellerman then made it 3-1 with a brilliant diving touch to Sjoerd de Wert’s cross from the right wing.

Atlètic made some inroads forward early in the third quarter as Kampong shipped a couple of green cards. But, back at full strength, the excellent Sander de Wijn burst out of defence and passed into the circle. It took a couple of detours but ultimately fell to Philip Meulenbroek who slotted home.

Another Havenga drag-flick was disallowed for danger but Robbert Kemperman extended the advantage to 5-1 in the 43rd minute in brilliant style. Kellerman again created it with great vision from the left wing and his hit found the midfielder at the perfect time to deflect in from the top of the circle ahead of Marc Calzada.

Atlètic fought gamely in the closing quarter and Kampong, in spite of Havenga and Jip Janssen's yellow card, saw the tie home without too much drama.

FINAL4: SV Kampong 5 (M Havenga, Q Caspers, B Kellerman, P Meulenbroek, R Kemperman) Atlètic Terrassa 1 (D Malgosa Gasol)

Euro Hockey League media release

ABN AMRO and EHL extend their partnership

The Euro Hockey League and ABN AMRO are delighted to confirm they will continue their partnership for three years up until 2019, the Dutch company remaining the hospitality partner for the EHL.
ABN AMRO have been one of the primary supporters of the EHL since its inception nine years ago, playing a key role in helping to revolutionise hockey at club level in Europe.
In addition, ABN AMRO will continue to support the ABN AMRO Junior EHL, a competition they introduced three seasons ago, bringing together some of the biggest up and coming hockey talents in Europe and give them an full “EHL experience”.
Speaking about the new three-year deal, Ernst Boekhorst, Manager Sponsoring & Events ABN AMRO, said: "We are very pleased to continue our partnership with the Euro Hockey League, where we have been involved with from the start of the tournament.
“For us, it's a great way to combine the best hockey in the world with our focus on talents. Therefore, we will continue to organise the ABN AMRO Junior EHL for the Under-14 talents in the coming years. Together the EHL and ABN AMRO Junior EHL are a great event and we look forward to continue our partnership.”
EHL Chairman Hans-Erik Tuijt welcomed the continued support of ABN AMRO, saying: “ABN AMRO have been crucial to the EHL story, supporting the competition since the very first day.
“In the last nine seasons, the EHL has been a key player in revolutionising the way hockey is presented, coming up with innovative new rules that have been adopted worldwide, making it more and more attractive for fans to be a part of.
“We really appreciate what ABN AMRO have brought to the EHL, a partner who brings great new ideas to table, especially in the form of the ABN AMRO Junior EHL which have become another key element of the competition.”

Euro Hockey League media release

Malgraff proves all that’s needed is just a little patience

By Jonathan Cook

The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Madibaz chalked up their third victory in six outings of 2016 Varsity Hockey action when they took care of University of the Free State’s Kovsies 6-2 at Maties Astro Saturday after leading 3-1 at the interval.

In reflecting on the outcome, Madibaz’s SA squad goalkeeper Chad Durrheim summed it up perfectly.

Durrheim said the secret was that this time round Madibaz were able to stamp their pattern on the game. “Too often during the first leg at UJ [University of Johannesburg] last week as well as yesterday [a sweaty 4-3 edge over Kovsies] we have fallen into the trap of being too impatient, allowing ourselves to get sucked into the opposition’s style of play.”

Durrheim played in the first quarter against Kovsies Saturday before Madibaz’s other talented shot-stopper, last year’s SA U18 and Rondebosch keeper Muzammil Sheik, took over the reins for quarters two, three and four.

As Durrheim pointed out, the authority with which Madibaz took control of the contest – despite an early setback when Kovsies’ Winray Kristoffels netted in the sixth – allowed his side to express their strengths, the pace and skill-sets up front (that are a hallmark of Port Elizabeth hockey).

SA striker Ignatius Malgraff was hugely influential.” Durrheim agreed: “Natius often draws two defenders onto him, which opens up the space for our other forwards.”

Indeed, Malgraff’s patience in choosing the team-mate in the best scoring position before making the pass enabled a number of classic tap-in goals that are guaranteed to delight coaching and management staff – and certainly not least NMMU’s taskmasters Cheslyn Gie and manager Ellwishes Cloete; two mentors who are not easily pleased!

Madibaz’s goals went to braces by Malgraff and Kevin Carroll, plus further strikes via the sticks of Pambili Gada, Curtis Samboer with Kovsies’ second goal going to Tiaan Weldhagen.

FNB Player of the Match: Brad Hensberg (Kovsies)

Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Muzammil Sheik (Madibaz)

Samsung Super Striker: Ignatius Malgraff (Madibaz)

Varsity Sports media release

‘Varsity Hockey does NOT accept draws’ – and this is why!

By Jonathan Cook

As the festive announcer so correctly bellowed, “Varsity Hockey does NOT accept draws!” Neither do the skillful players from North West University and University of Cape Town.

And so it was, as the titanic clash between the fearless Ikey Tigers of UCT and the proud Pukke from Potch hurtled towards an agonising … heart-stopping … penalty shootout, this after a disbelieving Killian Ludick saw his spectacular reverse-stick rocket cannon into the UCT crossbar – and stay out – in the last second of regulation play.

The final paragraph in the epic closing chapter of this extraordinary match reads as follows: A 2-2 score in regulation time, necessitating the shootout.

As is so often the case during these winner-takes-all occasions, there were heroes in both camps. Keepers Anton van Loggerenberg (UCT) and Pukke’s Schutte effected miraculous shootout saves; strikers like Essex Mbekeni (Pukke) showed nerves of steel worthy of high-noon duel time at 12 paces in the best spaghetti Westerns … but in the fabulous world of Varsity Hockey there can only be one winner.

It appeared as if Planet Earth’s axis had suddenly tilted towards one corner of the Maties Astro as hordes of Varsity Hockey fans emptied into the shootout zone in order to witness the drama, which Pukke won in sudden-death by the slenderest of margins. The shootout was all-square at 3-3. Sudden-death went 2-1 in Pukke’s favour.

It was three successful shootout strikes each, and two saves each, after the regulation five shootout attempts. In the sudden-death shootout that followed, the teams’ first attempts were successful, then Puk shot-stopper extraordinaire Lyndan Schutte blanked out UCT’s second attempt before a nerveless Gertjie Lamprecht stepped up to coolly slot the winner in a Varsity Hockey classic that didn’t deserve a loser.

It can be argued that this high-octane encounter probably went to the deserving team – if only because of Killian’s cannonball into the crossbar, but UCT can also lay claim to a win that got away, such was the ebb and flow.

In standard time, Essex Mbekeni (17th minute) and Francois Cilliers (57th) scored for Pukke while Greg Briton and Ross Schroeder netted for UCT.

FNB Player of the Match: Bjon Sorrensen (UCT)

Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Lynden Schutte (Pukke)

Samsung Super Striker: Sinoxolo Mbekeni (Pukke)

Varsity Sports media release

UJ beat Tuks in battle of the Highveld’s heavyweights

By Jonathan Cook

The absolutely massive Varsity Hockey muscle-up between the Highveld’s hockey heavyweights – UJ and Tuks – more than lived up to the pundits’ expectations Saturday afternoon.

It was a pulsating first quarter … and that’s the way it stayed throughout yet another classic clash chock-full of the spectrum of emotions.

The end result was a 4-2 triumph for the University of Johannesburg after the scoreboard had reflected a 2-2 outcome in the first half.

The Maties Hockey Astro arena was filling up with fans by the minute – most in anticipation of the Stellenbosch University’s marquee match-up with Wits in the day’s late game, but the “early” arrivals were treated to another swordfight to savour.

Tuks were hamstrung once again by the loss of the superbly skilled SA striker Richard Pautz, who sat out the entire match, this after his injury-enforced absence for more than half of the Pretoria institution’s comprehensive defeat at the hands of a rampant Maties the day before had no doubt played a significant role in that particular setback for the 2015 University Sport South Africa (USSA) champions.

However, there was also another factor that contributed to Tuks’ demise in this absorbing fixture.

The marked distance between Tuks’ three lines – defence, midfield and forwards – played into UJ’s hands as turnovers from deep left valuable space for the EGoli lads to launch telling counter-attacks.

The UJ win has left them with a flawless six maximums from their six outings to date. And, with just one league match still to play – against Madibaz at 3.15pm Sunday – those 18 log points over the span of the UJ and Maties legs of this hockey calendar highlight may well be enough to earn a berth in Monday’s 6.45pm second semi-final.

That would be against the team that ends Sunday’s final round of the league phase in fourth position.

Hypothesizing further, UJ’s likely top spot on the log come Sunday’s wrap-up of the league means that if they win that 6.45pm second semi-final Monday, the title match for the right to be crowned undisputed Kings of Varsity Hockey 2016 will be at the University of Johannesburg.

However, seasoned observers of this magnificent sport will quickly tell you that nothing is certain in a semi-final. It all depends on who brings their A-game to the party … And who wants victory the most.

UJ’s breaches of Tuks’ goal line Saturday afternoon came from Gerald Mpopo and Bryn Cleak in open play, superbly backed up by penalty corner strikes via the trusty blades of skipper Heyns and Nicolas Rowe.

Tuks troubled the scorekeepers with first-half action goals by Stephen Cant and Ashley Kemp.


Sunday 15-May
13:30 Tuks vs Wits
15:15 UJ vs Madibaz
17:00 Kovsies vs NWU Puk
18:45 Maties vs UCT

Monday 16-May
13:30 Position 7 vs Position 8
15:15 Position 5 vs Position 6
17:00 Position 2 vs Position 3
18:45 Position 1 vs Position 4

Come and enjoy a hot Mugg & Bean coffee!

FNB Player of the Match: Gerald Mpopo (UJ)

Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Hendrik Kriek (Tuks)

Samsung Super Striker: Ashley Kemp (Tuks)

Varsity Sports media release

Maties Mean Machine marches on

By Jonathan Cook

There was no stopping head coach Ashlin Freddy’s Maties Mean Machine at a packed Maties Astro in Stellenbosch Saturday night, and a 10-0 whitewash of Wits University was the outcome.

Reece Arendse opened the floodgates in the 11th minute and just six minutes later it was 4-0 as Shannon Boucher, Daniel Bell and Luke Schooling got on the scoresheet.

A James Drummond one-two inside the last three minutes of an action-packed first half took Maties into the break six goals to the good.

Wits had their chances but it was to no avail as Alex Stewart, Bell and Drummond added to Maties’ goalscoring tally for the double-figure score.

Maties’ lethal cocktail of pace, skill and unrelenting pressure play is going to be difficult to stop as the league phase of this world-class event comes to a climax Sunday, ahead of Monday’s classification matches and all-important semi-finals.


Sunday 15-May
13:30 Tuks vs Wits
15:15 UJ vs Madibaz
17:00 Kovsies vs NWU Puk
18:45 Maties vs UCT

Monday 16-May
13:30 Position 7 vs Position 8
15:15 Position 5 vs Position 6
17:00 Position 2 vs Position 3
18:45 Position 1 vs Position 4

Come and enjoy a hot Mugg & Bean coffee!

FNB Player of the Match: Jackie Mohlaba (Maties)

Mugg & Bean Star Saver: Quinton Kernot (Wits)

Samsung Super Striker: James Drummond (Maties)

Varsity Sports media release

Day 2 at the EuroHockey Men’s Trophy and Challenges


After another great day of European Hockey, here’s the latest round up of all our men’s competitions around Europe.

Follow our coverage of events our Twitter (@eurohockeyorg), our Facebook page (European Hockey Federation), our instagram(eurohockeyorg), and our Snapchat (eurohockeyorg)

Here is the round-up of the Men’s Trophy and Challenge events:

EuroHockey Club Trophy – Glasgow, Scotland

In Glasgow, things kicked off with a bang as Wales’s own Cardiff & Met made its presence known, storming Italy’s HC Bra, who was unable to discount any goals. 0-7 (0:2)


Banbridge came back fighting after being one goal down in the first half against HC Minsk. With two goals back to back in the beginning of the second half and two more later on, Banbridge secured its place at the top of Pool A. 4-1 (0:1)

SCO 223

A tight game from the Scottish host Bromac Kelburn and HC Rotweiss. Bromac managed to secure a draw in the second half. 1-1 (0:1)

SCO 33

EuroHockey Club Challenge I – Vienna, Austria

The first morning encounter in Vienna saw a close match between HC Servette and Stroitel Brest. Servette held fast to its second draw in the tournament thanks to a well-organised defense. 2-2 (1:1)


In the second match, Vinnitsa went out to win, scoring six goals in the first half, with a hat trick from Bogdan Kovalenko (#14). Mladost never lost its fighting spirit and pulled back three goals in the second half. Valiant effort, but the points went to Vinnitsa who is now at top of Pool A alongside Stroitel Brest, with seven points each. 4-6 (1:6)


AD Lousada rallied after yesterday’s 6-0 defeat, pulling off an impressive defeat of their own agains Hradec Kralove. 1-4 (0:2)


In the last match of the day, Arminen had to fight to the last minute to get the win. Whitchurch was equally determined but was not successful. 2-0 (1:0)

EuroHockey Club Challenge II – Bratislava, Slovakia

NSA Sofia stormed Ardas Rudamina in the tournament opener today, with an impressive four goals by Valentin Georgiev (#21), and a total 9 goals to win. 9-0 (3:0)


Slagelse HC controlled the game against Grammarians HC and secured the five points. 3-0 (2:0)

HK Marathon dominated the first half agains Inta Baltic Championgnons. The Lithuanian team made an effort to come back in the second half, and scored two goals, but Marathon held fast and secured the win. 5-2 (2:0)


In the last game of the day, the host SK Senkvice lost a three goal lead in the first half, as Gaziantep pushed hard in the second half to score three goals of their own and draw. 3-3 (3:0)


EuroHockey Club Challenge III – Predanovci, Slovenia

Highway HC and Napeos Apollon HC met for the first game today in Predanovci. The game was decided in the first half, and Highway HC walked away with the win. 2-1 (2:1)

Copenhagen Hockeyclub (DEN) and Nacka LHK (SWE) met in the second match, where after a scoreless first half, both teams pushed harder in the second half. Neither was able to gain the advantage, and finished with a draw. 2-2 (0:0)

After a contested first half which ended with a two goal draw, Lamas managed to push through and get the victory over the host, HK Triglav Predanovci. 4-2 (2:2)

EuroHockey Club Challenge IV – Kordin, Malta

The second day of the Challenge IV  saw the debut of the two last teams in the tournament. Greece’s Imittos HC met Finland’s HC Kilppari. Kilppari’s Simo Makela (#10) scored two goals in the first half. Imittos came back strong in the second half and persistence paid off as Stavros Sideridis (#16) scored two goals to equalise. 2-2 (0:2)


The second match saw Kringsja Sports Klubb meet Qormi HC. The Maltese were the stronger side from the beginning, getting two goals in by the first half. Kringsja managed to pull one back thanks to a penalty corner, but it was not enough to turn the game around. Qormi secured the win and the five coveted points. 1-3 (0:2)


Follow our events:

  Website Twitter Facebook Instagram
Glasgow www.kelburne.com/euros  @Kelburne1969    Kelburne1969
Vienna www.arminen.at/cc @svarminen svarminen  
Bratislava www.EuroHockey-CCCII.eu   sksenkvice.sk  
Predanovci      HKTriglav  
Kordin  http://www.sliemahotsticks.com/results/ @SliemaHotsticks  Sliema-Hotsticks-Hockey-Club  
Bilthoven www.ehccc2016.com @EHCCC2016 ehccc2016 Rabo.ehccc2016
Barcelona www.rcpolo.com @rcpolohockey rcbarcelona  
Prague www.hockeyslavia.cz @slaviaofficial hockeyslavia  
Lille www.mhc.fr/coupe-deurope LilleHockeyClub lillehockeyclub Eurohockeylille2016
Gibraltar www.hawkslhc.wordpress.com HawksLHC_GI hawkslhc hawkslhc1992



Day 2 at the Women’s EuroHockey Trophy and Challenges


After another great day of European Hockey, here’s the latest round up of all our women’s  competitions around Europe.

Follow our coverage of events our Twitter (@eurohockeyorg), our Facebook page (European Hockey Federation), our instagram(eurohockeyorg), and our Snapchat (eurohockeyorg)

Here is the round-up of the Women’s Trophy and Challenge events:

EuroHockey Club Trophy – Barcelona, Spain

The second day of the Women’s trophy kicked off in a sunny Barcelona with a resounding victory for HC Minsk over MSC Sumchanka. Captain Ryta Batura scored Minsk’s first two goals. 1-5 (0:2)

The second match in Pau Negre stadium saw the Belarusian team GHC Ritm Grono fall to an impressive Royal Antwerp. After storming the first half with four goals, Ritm Grodno managed to score but it was too little too late. 1-6 (0:4)

Barca 1

The last match of the day, the host RC Polo dominated and came away with the win. 4-1 (2:1)

EuroHockey Club Challenge I – Prague, Czech Republic

The day opened with Polisportiva Ferrini Cagliari met Russia’s HC Donchanka. After a tight first half, Donchanka scored the only goal in the game and walked away with the points. 0-1 (0:0)

The Arminen womem met the formidable Gintra Strekte Uni. The Lithuanian team showed its quality and took the points. Donata Grigiene (#8) once again scored a hat trick. 0-4 (0:2)


A cautious game from the host SK Slavia Praha and University of Edinburgh HC, where after a goalless first half, Prague’s only goal in the 48th minute guaranteed them the victory. 1-0 (0:0)

The last match of the day: Swansea City HC v Ulster Elks. No goals in the first half meant an action packed second half, with three goals in the space of four minutes. Ulster Elks won, even with Swansea’s late discount goal in the 66th minute. 2-3 (0:0)

EuroHockey Club Challenge II – Lille, France

Second day here in Lille began under a cloudy sky, and a surprisingly cold day.

The first game saw Iris Lambesart fall to the Waterloo Ducks, with two of the four goals from the Belgian side scored by Marie Ronquetti (#12) 1-4 (0:3)


The second game saw another definitive win by HC Hostivar (CZE), this time over Kecioren Baglum SK from Turkey. 0-4 (0:2)


The host club Lille continued with the day’s four goal wins with a win over the Black Boys of Geneva, who managed to discount one with a beautiful goal to the top of the net. 4-1 (0:2)

The last match of the day broke the four goal spell, but Grove Menzieshill achieved a well-deserved win over HC Rotweiss Wettingen. 1-3 (0:1)


EuroHockey  Club Challenge III – Gibraltar, Gibraltar


Cardiff University and Navax AHTC Wien met in the first match, with Cardiff pushing to win. AHTC pushed back hard, but came up short. 3-2 (1:0)

Nacka LHK was defeated by the Gibraltar team Eagles HC, who scored two goals in the second half. This propelled them to the very top of Pool B. 0-2 (0:0)


Lithuanian team HFTC Tauras  played the host, Hawks Ladies in the last match up of the day. The host played well, but was overplayed by Tauras, who walked away with the win. 3-0 (2:0)


  Website Twitter Facebook Instagram
Glasgow www.kelburne.com/euros  @Kelburne1969    Kelburne1969
Vienna www.arminen.at/cc @svarminen svarminen  
Bratislava www.EuroHockey-CCCII.eu   sksenkvice.sk  
Predanovci      HKTriglav  
Kordin  http://www.sliemahotsticks.com/results/ @SliemaHotsticks  Sliema-Hotsticks-Hockey-Club  
Bilthoven www.ehccc2016.com @EHCCC2016 ehccc2016 Rabo.ehccc2016
Barcelona www.rcpolo.com @rcpolohockey rcbarcelona  
Prague www.hockeyslavia.cz @slaviaofficial hockeyslavia  
Lille www.mhc.fr/coupe-deurope LilleHockeyClub lillehockeyclub Eurohockeylille2016
Gibraltar www.hawkslhc.wordpress.com HawksLHC_GI hawkslhc hawkslhc1992

Bromac Kelburne And Edinburgh University Both Win In Europe

By Craig Madden.




A game of two halves, Bromac Kelburne struggled to find any flow in the first period, but proceeded to take the second half by the scruff of the neck to beat Belarus champions Minsk 2-1 in the opening pool match of the European Club Champions Trophy at Glasgow Green yesterday.

The result means that the Paisley side take pole position in the pool after Irish side Banbridge and Rotweiss Wettingen from Switzerland drew 2-2 in an earlier contest.

The opening half was one of frustration for the Paisley side, their normal flowing play was stifled by a fit and determined Minsk side.

To make matters worse Kelburne fell behind in only 13 minutes, at their first penalty corner a well-worked routine opened up the home defence and Mikita Karol finished off the move with a powerful low shot.

Soon after the Scottish champions should have levelled, the ball eventually fell kindly to Lee Morton but the youngster dragged the ball wide of the target from close range.

The lively Minsk side continued to cause problems especially long, hard strikes into the circle caused the Kelburne defence considerable problems, while at the other end several attacking moves showed promise but failed to trouble the Belarus goalkeeper.

Kelburne came out a different side in the second half and could have levelled at an early penalty corner but Joss Cairns shot went wide of the target.

The equaliser was only slightly delayed, a good attacking move resulted in a goalmouth scramble and Ross Macpherson was on hand to squeeze the ball past the goalkeeper.

The Belarus defence was having problems dealing with the darting solo runs by Morton.    Midway through the half the Paisley side deservedly took the lead, Jack MacKenzie created the opening for Iain Scholefield, the player/coach`s first effort was blocked by the goalkeeper but he retained his compsoure to fire the rebound into the net.

Kelburne will now play Swiss side Wettingen today and another win would put the Paisley side in line for the final.



Edinburgh University marked their baptism on the European stage with a 3-0 win over Welsh side Swansea City in the opening day of the women`s European Club Champions Challenge 1 in Prague yesterday.

In the cut-throat format of a four team pool competition it is so important to get off to a winning start, and the Scottish champions overcame their early nerves to take the hard-fought points in the end.

It took the students the first half to adjust to the European challenge and they had to settle for a goalless draw at the interval.

The breakthrough finally arrived midway through the second half when Ellie Hutcheson found the net with a reverse stick shot after the Welsh goalkeeper made the initial save.

The result was still in the balance until the final six minutes, player/coach Sam Judge latched on to a cross from the left by Lara Tomkins and fired the ball into the net to double Edinburgh`s tally.  

With three minutes left Becky Dru added a third with a powerful drag flick at a penalty corner.


Grove Menzieshill started their European Campaign against hosts Lille MHC. After a hard fought first half the score was 0-0 at half time. The host then stepped up the pace and were overall winners at the end of the match by 4 goals to nil.

Grove Menzieshill’s next fixture sees them take on HC Rotweiss Wettingen.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Mixed Results For Scottish Sides In Europe

By Craig Madden


Bromac Kelburne kept their unbeaten record in the European Club Champions Trophy at Glasgow Green but they were held to a 1-1 draw by Swiss side Rotweiss Wettingen.    The result now means that the Paisley side must beat Irish champions Banbridge, they whipped Minsk from Belarus 4-1, to reach tomorrow`s final.

In the first half Kelburne had a lot of pressure but failed to break down a very organised Swiss outfit.    To make matters worse it was Wettingen who stole the lead at their first penalty corner, Kelburne goalkeeper Ben Rennie blocked several Swiss efforts and finally Nicolas Steffen forced the ball home.

The Scottish champions were back on level terms early in the second half, at a set piece Chris Nelson switched the ball left to Lee Morton and the youngster promptly swept the ball home.

There was a couple of chances at both ends, Nelson had a goalline save at a Swiss penalty corner while at the other end Chris Traynor missed an opportunity from close range, leaving the contest to end in stalemate.

Bromac Kelburne 1- HC Rotweiss Wettingen 1


Edinburgh University failed to continue their winning form by going down 1-0 to hosts Slavia Prague at the women`s European Club Champions Challenge 1 in the Czech Republic.

After a goalless first half, Edinburgh conceded a soft goal by Adele Bizova.

Despite Slavia having two players in the sin bin at one stage Edinburgh were unable to take advantage and get back on level terms.  However, the students had their chances, they failed to score from four penalty corners, although one effort struck the crossbar from a deflection.

The Scottish champions must now beat top side Ulster Elks to confirm their place in tomorrow`s promotion play-offs.

SK Slavia Prague 1- University of Edinburgh HC 0


Grove Menzieshill recovered from their four goal reversal yesterday with a fighting 3-1 win over Swiss side Rotweiss Wettingen, the victory moves the Taysiders into second spot in the pool and chance to compete for promotion.

The Dundonians had a single goal advantage at the interval, Sarah Jamieson opened the scoring from open play.

Grove consolidated their lead with further strikes by Katie Robertson at a penalty corner while Jamieson then added her second of the match.  

Now Grove must roll over another Swiss side Geneva to have a chance at promotion. HC Rotweiss Wettingen 1- Grove Menzieshill 3

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Harewood break HSOB-Burnside's long grip on hockey's Challenge Shield

The Harewood hockey team celebrate a goal in the 2013 CPL women's final. They have won the President's Shield in 2016, breaking holders HSOB-Burnside's 21-match reign. David Hallett

The Harewood women's hockey team have broken HSOB-Burnside's 21-game hold on the Canterbury Challenge Shield.

HSOB-Burnside had successfully defended the coveted trophy after winning it from Harewood in June 2014.

They had not lost a Canterbury Premier League game for more than two years, a run which dated back to the 2013 CPL final.

But Harewood were well worth their two-goal win on Saturday.

Top scorer Siobhan Scott-Nielsen grabbed two goals and Jessie Anderson also netted with Emily Wium scoring HSOB-Burnside's sole goal.

Harewood extended their lead to six points, but they have played an extra game to their three nearest rivals.

In other matches, Avon beat Marist 1-0 through Sarah McLaren's strike.

Mel Puckett snared a double as the Hornby Tigers accounted for Southern United 5-1.

The Harewood men's team hold a five-point lead in the CPL after beating HSOB-Burnside 3-1 with goals from Will Hayde, Lawrence Darling and Angus Hazlett.

Sam Lane continued his scoring streak from the national under-21 tournament to bag a brace in the Southern United Stings' 4-1 win over the Hornby Vipers.

The Avon United-Marist game produced seven goals with Avon edging it 4-3 despite Joe Bartholomew's double for Marist.


Canterbury Premier League hockey results


Harewood 3 (Will Hayde, Lawrence Darling, Angus Hazlett) HSOB/Burnside 1 (Matt Lake).
Carlton Redcliffs 1 (Mark Coleman) University 1 (Bryce Smith).
Southern United Stingers 4 (Sam Lane 2, Ben Rutherford, Chez Parore) Hornby Vipers 1 (Michael Cook).
Avon 4 (Stephen Raika, Elliot Darling, Rob Buhler, Adrian Smith), Marist 3 (Joe Bartholomew 2, Nick Brazzale).

Points: Harewood 12, Carlton Redcliffs 7, HSOB-Burnside 7, Avon 7, Southern United 6, University 4, Marist 3, Hornby 0.


Harewood 3 (Siobhan Scott-Nielsen 2, Jessie Anderson) HSOB/Burnside 1 (Emily Wium).
Avon 1 (Sarah McLaren) Marist 0.
Hornby Tigers 5 (Mel Puckett 2, Alice Batt, Bella Forbes, Lauren Emirali) Southern United 1 (Haley Stephens).

Points: Harewood 12, Carlton-Redcliffs 6, Avon 6, HSOB-Burnside 6, Hornby 3, Marist 3, Southern 0.


Whitsun Cup: Inexperience cause of friendly defeat...

By Jugjet Singh

THE MALAYSIAN Under-16 team lost 2-0 to the German Under-16 team in a friendly in Mannheim Friday, but had plenty of chances to seal off the match.

Inexperience saw them bungle five penalty corners, and five open play sitters.

The boys were selected after the recent National Under-16 tournament, and underwent a four-day training in Ipoh during the Azlan Shah Cup.

In Mannheim, they will play against Netherlands, German Under-16 and German Under-17.

They start with Germany Under-16 Sunday, for the Whitsun Cup.

The match was played in 20 minute halves and Germany Germans scored a goal in each half via quick counter-attacks.

According to coach Nor Saiful Zaini, the scoreline was a little too flattering towards the hosts.

"We had five clear chances to score but poor finishing, inexperience and a really good goalkeeper stood in the way of any possible turnaround. The Germans were physically bigger but we held our own against them.

"We also had five penalty corners to Germany's one but failed to convert any. Overall, I am happy with the performance and look forward to the tournament Sunday", said Saiful.

This is an invitational tournament where Malaysia were left out for the last two editions. However, Malaysia finished second behind Germany in the Whitsun Cup when it made its debut in 2010.

MALAYSIAN Under-16: Goalkeepers: Hamiz Ahir, Helmi Fazli; Defenders: Kamarulzaman Kamaruddin, Zulfitri Zin, Arif Syafie.

Midfielders: Pavandip Singh s/o Gurdip Singh, Amirul Hamizan, Akram Hakkam, Granson Noel, Faiz Aiman, Zafri Afiq, Syarman Mat Tee.

Forwards: Haridzmi Nizam, Noor Firdaus Rosdi, Muhibuddin Moharam, Syamin Naim, Saifuddin Azli, Akhimullah Anuar.

Coach: Nur Saiful Zaini; Assistant Coach: Sufian Mohamed.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

National junior hockey team gaining experience in Germany

By S. Ramaguru

KUALA LUMPUR: The National Under-16 team are on the right track towards gaining international exposure.

With the bulk of the juniors playing in their first overseas tournament, their ability to match their more physical opponents has warmed the heart of coach Nor Saiful Zaini Nasiruddin.

Malaysia lost 2-0 to the German National Under-16 team in a friendly in Mannheim on Thursday.

Although Malaysia dominated the proceedings, earning five penalty corners against Germany’s one, the lack of experience proved to be the team’s downfall.

“Our aim in here is to give players first-hand experience about playing at the international level,” said Saiful in a telephone interview.

“Overall, I’m happy with their performance ... plus the players showed confidence playing at international level.

“We played more aggressively compared to the Germans, who are physically bigger.

“Though we created chances, their goalkeeper was on song ... and our poor finishing cost us the game.”

The team, who are preparing for the 2020 Junior World Cup, are in Mannheim for the Whitsun Cup.

The Star of Malaysia

Malacca retain Razak Cup winners in team

By Percy d'Cruz

MALACCA: Malacca have retained virtually the same team as last year’s in a bid to keep the Razak Cup Division One title.

The Razak Cup tournament this year will be held at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil from May 21-29.

Malacca, who fielded a young side comprising seven Sukma (Malaysia Games) players, defeated Perak 1-0 in the final last year.

The seven have been retained and Malacca also have two national trainees – goalkeeper Mohd Ridzwan Azmi and forward Deddy Aryadi Junaidi – who toured New Zealand and Australia with the national side recently.

Another national trainee drafted in but who did not make the trip Down Under is midfielder Mohd Firdaus Omar.

The big change in the team, however, is the coaching set-up.

With former coach S. Vellapan now plying his trade with Selangor, the task of taking the team to glory has fallen on 37-year-old Azrul Effency Bistaman, who was a member of Malacca’s Razak Cup-winning side in 2005.

Azrul has named a 20-strong squad for centralised training following the completion of the domestic league last week.

Azrul has named Perak as the title favourites, with Terengganu being the dark horses.

For this year’s Razak Cup, Perak, Kuala Lumpur, Negri Sembilan and Terengganu are in Group B while Malacca head Group A with Pahang, Johor and newly-promoted Police.


Goalkeepers: Mohd Hanafi Hassan; Mohammad Ridawan Azmi.

Defenders: Muhammad Iderus Ali, Muhammad Nur Asyraf Ishak, Mohd Huzairy Mohd Zin, Mohammad Zurhelmy Mahat, Mohd Rafi Dollah, Mohd Aliff Syaswan Noorshah.

Midfielders: Muhammad Firdaus Omar, Muhammad Afif Akmal Salim, Luqman Nurhakim Saiful, B. Namasivayam, Faid Farhadh Mohamad Shah, Adam Aiman Mamat.

Forwards: Amirrullah Zainol, Dedy Ariyadi Jumaidi, Muhammad Hafiz Seleman, Muhammad Rasydan Saiful, Muhammad Asyraf Zuhry Mahat, Amirul Hakim Nazaruddin.

The Star of Malaysia

Brotherly love in Under-21 men’s hockey squad

T&T Under-21 men's player, Teague Marcano, second from left, is congratulated by teammates after scoring in a warm-up match against an Invitational XI at the National Hockey Centre, Tacarigua, recently. Photo: Anthony Harris

The trio of Emmanuel brothers, Kristien, Kieron and Kwasi as well as Marcano brothers, Tariq and Teague, all of Malvern, dominated a very strong T&T men’s Under-21 hockey team which will compete at the 2016 Junior Pan American Hockey Championship from May 20-26 in Toronto, Canada.

It is the first time that three brothers have been selected to any one men’s national team which will be led by goalkeeper Kwasi Eammanuel, who will have Queen’s Park Jordan Reynos as his vice-captain.

T&T will compete against Argentina, Puerto Rico and USA in Pool A, while Guyana, Chile, Canada and Mexico are in Pool B of the eight-team tournament which will qualify one team to the Junior World Cup to be held in India in December, later this year.

T&T Under-21 men’s hockey team
Zachary Clarke, Jordan Reynos (vice-captain), Keegan Dos Santos, Che Modeste, Dylan Francis, Jordan Vieira, Kristien Eammanuel, Jarryon Paul, Jovan Wren, Tariq Marcano, Teague  Marcano, Cheon Steele(GK), Marcus Pascal. Kieron Eammanuel, Kwasi Emmanuel (captain/GK), Kelon Skerritt, Jabari Perez, Lyndell Byer
Technical staff: Darren Cowie (coach),
Akim Toussaint (assistant coach),
Natakii Akii-Bua (team manager),
Jameel Beharry (stand-in manager),
Karielle De Bique (physiotherapist)

The Trinidad Guardian

Cheltenham English Boys U14 Champions

Cheltenham Boys U14 Champions

Boys Pool A

Marden Russets v Harrogate

The first game of the day at the U14 Club Finals saw a highly supported one for both sides. A strong attack from Marden Russets in the first 5 minutes put them one goal up through Ben Errington.  Valiant defending from Harrogate wasn’t quite enough to keep Marden out and their 2nd came from Oliver Addis via a penalty corner to finish the game 2-0 to Marden.

City of Peterborough v Cheltenham

On Pitch two was a game packed with goals. City of Peterborough go 2-0 up in the first 5 minutes with goals form Eddie Harper and Joey Evison. A quick response from Cheltenham resulted in a goal from Jacob Payton from open play. Both sides were playing well but City couldn’t keep Cheltenham out for much longer. Two more goals in quick succession put Cheltenham ahead and in the top half of the table going into the next game.

Cheltenham v Marden Russets

The winners from the first games of the day were bound to produce end to end action. Good chances from both sides and plenty of last ditch defending kept the score line 0-0 at half time. With it all to play for in the second half both teams needed an extra push to get the edge. With no one able to break the deadlock the result remained at 0-0 making Pool A very close after the second game.

Harrogate v City of Peterborough

Another 0-0 draw came from a close game between Harrogate and City of Peterborough. Both sides put in robust performances but neither could find the back of the net. This put Marden Russets and Harrogate on 4 points apiece going into the third game making it a close pool for all four teams.

Marden Russets v City of Peterborough

Marden went into this game leading the pool and needed a convincing win to secure the place in the final. An early goal from Eddie Harper for City of Peterborough meant that the Kent side had their work cut out in the second half. Sam Wheatley levelled the score with a field goal on the half time buzzer taking them into the break at one apiece. Both teams worked hard during the second half but another late goal for Marden from Ben Errington meant that they would have to wait for the result on the other pitch to discover their fate.

Cheltenham v Harrogate

Cheltenham needed a solid win to book their place in the final – with chances hard to come by in the first half for both teams it was 0-0 at the interval. Both sides needed a big performance in the second half. That's what Cheltenham got. A fantastic hat-trick from Jacob Payton, adding to his two goals earlier in the day, meant they had not only won but confirmed their place in the final.

Boys Pool B

Beeston v Bishops Stortford

The reigning champions began their title defence against a determined Bishops Stortford. It was tough game to call and with no score until the second half defending was tight from both teams with little between them. Eventually Joe Power managed to put away a penalty corner to put Bishops Stortford in the lead to win the first game of the day by a single goal.

Team Bath Buccaneers v Surbiton

With Surbiton looking to take the double this weekend they started with a win in their first game of the day despite a brave showing by Team Bath Buccaneers. Both teams had their chances but it was Joseph Farmer with a brace of goals for Surbiton, both from open play, that clinched the three points and put them top of the group.

Team Bath Buccaneers v Beeston

Two evenly-matched teams would make for a good game over on pitch two. Another goalless first half applied the pressure to both sides, but they delivered in an entertaining second half. A field goal from Kallum Wilkins gave Beeston the lead but was quickly followed by a Will Prentice goal for Team Bath. Neither team could find another breakthrough and the match ended 1-1.

Surbiton v Bishops Stortford

With teams starting to tire throughout the day the games were certainly getting harder. However despite this, and some robust defending, Surbiton slotted two away in the first half. To finish off the 3-0 win Issac Rodrigues-Mendes scored the last goal of the game with four minutes to go to get the all important three points for Surbiton

Beeston v Surbiton

Surbiton were knew a win would seal their place in the final and they didn't disappoint, putting on a terrific show. Three first half goals including a brace from Joseph Farmer put them in the ascendancy. A second half goal from Xavier Teyletche-Bailey made it 4-0 and confirmed Surbiton’s place in the final against Cheltenham

Bishops Stortford v Team Bath Buccaneers

For the last pool game of the day both teams put in a sterling effort to keep playing at full pace. A win for Bath Buccs would put them into the 3rd/4th playoff and it was evident from the start that they were determined to do that. An early goal from John Holdoway got them off to a good start, followed by an open play goal for Tom Henly sealing their place with a 2-0 win.

7th/8th Play Off

Harrogate v Beeston

Pride was at stake for both these sides and both put in a solid performance in their final classification game. Valiant defending from Beeston could not keep the Harrogate boys out and after eight minutes Tom Lee put away a penalty corner to take the lead. Another in the second half from Matty Bird sealed a 2-0 win for the Yorkshire side.

5th/6th Play Off

Bishops Stortford v City of Peterborough

The highest scoring game of the day came in this contest. Joey Evison started things off within 3 minutes to add to his goals from earlier in the day. And from then on City of Peterborough kept scoring. Two more for Evison brought him a hat trick. Tom Snelling hit back for Bishops Stortford giving them hope of a comeback but it wasn’t to be. Another for Eddie Harper and one for Max Etherington meant that Tom Snellings’ brace for Bishops Stortford was in vain with City of Peterborough running out 5-2 victors.

3rd/4th Play Off

Marden Russets v Team Bath Buccanneers

An emotional game from both teams lead to great viewing for all the spectators. Dramatic defending at either end kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Marden took an early lead through a goal from Sam Wheatley. Bath rallied but it wasn’t quite enough and a brace from Louis Ridge handed Russets a 3-0 win and third place.


Cheltenham v Surbiton

This was an end to end game from the first whistle. Cheltenham powered into the lead with a Freddie Thomas field goal but were halted by a quick leveller from Surbiton’s Joseph Farmer. Another attack from Surbiton paid dividends as Spencer Woods put them in the lead going into the last five minutes. A last ditch attempt from Joel Birchmore paid off tying the game at 2-2 with a minute to play. Neither side could find a late break through meaning penalty strokes were needed to settle this one. Cheltenham kept their cool not missing a single stroke, and with the help of goalkeeper Olly Smart, the took the title of U14 National Champions.

England Hockey Board Media release

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author