Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 14 March 2016

All the news for Monday 14 March 2016

Changes to Black Sticks for Korea series

Photo: www.photosport.nz

Black Sticks Men’s head coach Colin Batch has made four changes to his side for this week’s four test series against Korea at Lloyd Elsmore Hockey Stadium in Auckland.

Following a series win over Malaysia in Tauranga, the Black Sticks continue their development in the lead-up to the Rio Olympic Games in August.

Veteran defender Bradley Shaw and striker Stephen Jenness come into the side, along with 18-year-old Central midfielder Hayden Phillips.

Striker Simon Child captains the team of 18 and will bring up his 250th test for New Zealand in Wednesday’s opening game against Korea at 7pm.

Batch said it’s an exciting time for the squad and the next four tests will further test their combinations and preparation.

“This is another strong group and we go into this series having answered a few questions of ourselves against Malaysia,” Batch said.

“The addition of Bradley and Stephen will add another dynamic within the group while we are really excited about seeing a fantastic young talent in Hayden test himself at senior international level.

“We have an open selection policy and aren’t afraid to look at our options even at this stage of our campaign. The most important thing for us is that we are able to assess our players and find the best group to send to the Rio Olympics.”

Marcus Child, Jacob Smith and Jared Panchia come out of the extended team of 21 which played against Malaysia, along with defender Alex Shaw who had successful surgery on Thursday to repair a fractured cheek and eye socket he suffered in the third test.

The Black Sticks play Korea this Wednesday and Thursday at 7pm (LIVE coverage on SKY Sport), with a further two games on Saturday and Sunday at 3pm.

Tickets for all four tests in Auckland are now on sale from just $5 and are cheaper online than at the gate. For tickets go to www.dashtickets.co.nz

Korea series, 16-20 March















North Harbour





Simon CHILD (c)







North Harbour



































George MUIR

North Harbour









































Bradley SHAW
























Lloyd Elsmore Hockey Stadium, Auckland

Wednesday 16th March

Black Sticks vs Korea (Test 1)
LIVE on SKY Sport


Thursday 17th March

Black Sticks vs Korea (Test 2)
LIVE on SKY Sport


Saturday 19th March

Black Sticks vs Korea (Test 3)


Sunday 20th March

Black Sticks vs Korea (Test 4)


Hockey New Zealand Media release

Teenager Hayden Phillips set for Black Sticks debut against Korea

Hayden Phillips has been outstanding at age-group level and the Black Sticks are keen to have a look at him as their Olympics campaign builds. FAIRFAX NZ

Exciting teenaged hockey midfielder Hayden Phillips has forced his way into the Black Sticks reckoning.

He is one of several changes as coach Colin Batch continues to tinker with his squad in the leadup to the Rio Olympics, with a four- test series against Korea.

Fresh off a series win over Malaysia, Batch has returned veteran defender Bradley Shaw and striker Stephen Jenness to the squad.

The big addition comes in the form of 18-year-old Central player Phillips.

The age-group star is yet to play at the top level but his strong domestic form sees Batch keen to investigate his talent on the international stage.

Striker Simon Child captains the squad of 18 and will bring up his 250th test for New Zealand in Wednesday night's opening game against Korea in Auckland.

Marcus Child, Jacob Smith and Jared Panchia drop out of the extended squad who played  Malaysia, along with defender Alex Shaw who has had successful surgery to repair a fractured cheek and eye socket suffered in the third test.

Batch said it was an exciting time for the squad and the next four tests would further test their combinations and preparation.

"This is another strong group and we go into this series having answered a few questions of ourselves against Malaysia," Batch said.

"The addition of Bradley and Stephen will add another dynamic within the group while we are really excited about seeing a fantastic young talent in Hayden test himself at senior international level.

"We have an open selection policy and aren't afraid to look at our options even at this stage of our campaign. The most important thing for us is that we are able to assess our players and find the best group to send to the Rio Olympics."

All four tests will be played at Lloyd Elsmore Stadium in Auckland on Wednesday (7pm), Thursday (7pm), Saturday (3pm) and Sunday (3pm).


Hockey India to award Rs 1 lakh to women's team for Rio qualification

BANGALORE: Hockey India will give a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh to the entire women hockey team and the support staff at the Hockey India awards in Bangalore on March 26, in recognition of their achievement of qualifying for the Rio Olympics.

The Indian women's hockey team qualified for the 2016 Rio Games after a long wait of 36 years since the 1980 Moscow Olympics, when women's hockey was introduced for the first time and Hockey India will felicitate the entire team and support staff.

"It's a very big achievement for women's hockey in India. Till now, the Gold in the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester was the most celebrated moment for women's hockey, but by qualifying for the 2016 Rio Olympics, we have managed to push the bar higher," India skipper Ritu Rani said.

"A good performance in the Olympics will help to take women's hockey in India a long way ahead. This recognition by Hockey India will further motivate us to put up a good show," she added.

Women hockey players from Haryana have been a dominant force in the national team and all four slots for the Player of the Year (Women) award that carries a prize purse of Rs. 25 lakh, have been locked out by players hailing from the Northern Indian state.

The top performers of Indian women's hockey in 2015 such as Rani, Deepika, Ritu Rani and Savita have been nominated for the top award in Indian hockey.

The nomination of Sonika in the Upcoming Player of The Year award category takes the headcount of players from Haryana to five for this year's facilitation.

The Times of India

Recognition by Hockey India will motivate us: Ritu Rani

BENGALURU: Having qualified for the 2016 Olympics after a wait of 36 years since the 1980 Moscow Games when women's hockey was introduced, the Indian team and support staff will be felicitated.

In recognition of this achievement, Hockey India (HI) will give a cash prize of Rs.1 lakh each to all team members and support staff at the HI awards to held here on March 26.

"It's a very big achievement for women's hockey in India. Till now, the gold in the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester was the most celebrated moment for women's hockey, but by qualifying for the 2016 Rio Olympics, we have managed to push the bar higher," said India skipper Ritu Rani.

"A good performance in the Olympics will help to take women's hockey in India a long way ahead. This recognition by HI will further motivate us to put up a good show."

The Times of India

Matias Rey the king of Polo

The aptly named Matias Rey scored the crucial goal in the 53rd minute as Real Club de Polo de Barcelona won the Copa del Rey which brings with it a European ticket.

Polo beat Egara 1-0 in the final, adding to Saturday’s semi-final 1-0 win over Club de Campo and a 4-0 success in Friday’s quarter-final against Atletic Terrassa.

In the final, on home turf, Polo had the best of the chances but could find no way past the excellent defences of Quico Cortes. He saved several times from Xavi Lleonart who had the best chances to score while Edi Tubau was Egara’s main threat.

Alex Casasayas hit the post from point-blank range while, at the far end, Pep Romeu’s corner shot was denied by Mario Fernandez, later named goalkeeper of the tournament. But, with time running out, Rey got a brilliant touch to a corner move to lift the ball over Cortes and win the tournament for Polo for the 28th time.

Euro Hockey League media release

Meulenbroek the late Kampong hero

Picture: Koen Suyk

Philip Meulenbroek was the last second hero for SV Kampong as he struck in dead time against Oranje Zwart to nick a 2-1 win, helping the Utrecht club continue their impressive run since the return of the Hoofdklasse.

Amid a late melee, he got his stick to the ball to grab the late winner with no time left on the clock to lift Kampong up to fifth in the table with their third win in succession, moving them up from seventh place.

Meulenbroek had also made it 1-0 with a fantastic backhand shot that went in off the underside of the crossbar only for Mink van der Weerden to equalise with 12 minutes to go.

Speaking afterwards to hockey.nl about the win, Meulenbroek said afterwards of his team’s form: “It is good that everyone is now fit again.. At Amsterdam we immediately got back on track and, since then, we are back playing with confidence. We now know again that we can beat anyone."

They can now go into games with SCHC and Pinoké with confidence next weekend in their final lead-up games to the Euro Hockey League.

HGC went top of the table in OZ’s place thanks to a 5-2 win over Hurley with Gonzalo Peillat scoring a hat trick and Rik van Kan netting twice.

Mirco Pruyser scored three in Amsterdam’s 6-2 win over Schaerweijde to move into a share of second place while Bloemendaal stay in fourth courtesy of an important 2-1 win against Rotterdam.

Euro Hockey League media release

East Grinstead survive the drop

East Grinstead's Niall Stott battling with a Beeston player. Credit David Kissman

After finishing as runners-up in the League Finals last season, East Grinstead had to fight to avoid relegation from the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division this year – and it took until the final few minutes before their safety was secured.

Resurgent Canterbury – with five wins from their previous six games – went into the final weekend with a real chance of avoiding the drop and leaving East Grinstead in the relegation play-offs.

But Wimbledon took an early lead against Canterbury through Phil Ball and held on to their slim lead. At the same time East Grinstead battled to a 2-2 draw at Beeston, and finished two points clear of Canterbury, who must go through the play-offs to ensure top flight survival.

Stuart Pilgrim and Richard Lawrence scored for Beeston, and following Tony Wilson’s 39th minute goal East Grinstead had to wait until the 67th minute before Ross Stott found the goal and helped them take a point.

The best that Cannock could hope for was to avoid automatic relegation but a 6-3 defeat to Surbiton sees them finish bottom.

Cannock put on a battling display with Hardeep Singh Jawanda, Callum McKenzie and Peter Jackson all finding the target. But Surbiton had too much firepower for them as Evan Kimber’s hat-trick was added to by a brace from Alan Forsyth and a strike from Andrew Hayward.

The participants of the finals weekend were already decided before the final round of games but Holcombe will be happy to have gone all season unbeaten, signing off with a 3-0 win over Hampstead and Westminster. This came courtesy of goals from Gareth Andrew, Nick Bandurak and Sam Ward.

Holcombe will be joined by Surbiton, Wimbledon and Reading, who lost 3-1 to Brooklands Manchester University in their final game. Ben Boon scored their only goal with Sam Perrin, Peter Flanagan and Graeme Wolfenden netting for Brooklands.

Men’s Conference West

Guildford faced relegation heartbreak on the final day of the season in the Men’s Conference West after their 0-0 draw with Cheltenham saw them finish bottom of the table.

The result would have been enough to send them to relegation play-offs had Chichester Priory Park not taken a 1-0 win over Indian Gymkhana. Luke Emmett scored the only goal after six minutes and it proved to be enough.

Champions Cardiff and Met took a 3-2 win over Fareham and Team Bath Buccaneers finished second in the table after beating the University of Exeter 2-1. Isca beat the University of Birmingham 3-1.

Men’s Conference North

It was tight at the bottom of the Men’s Conference North, but it was Olton and West Warwicks who managed to escape relegation with a fine 5-2 win over Preston. Daniel Sulway, Tom Ryland, Tom Mallett, Ed James and Joseph Paul scored the goals that saw them climb to safety.

Lichfield are automatically relegated after losing 3-0 to the University of Durham. Wakefield will go to relegation play-offs despite a heavy 7-1 defeat at the hands of Bowdon on the final day. David Egerton was the main architect of their downfall with a hat-trick.

Sheffield Hallam beat Deeside Ramblers 4-2 and Loughborough Students took a 2-1 win against Doncaster.

Men’s Conference East

Richmond secured the title in the Men’s Hockey League Conference East with a 2-1 win over Sevenoaks in their last game of the campaign.

Southgate needed them to lose and to get a result against Oxted to be in with a chance of snatching top spot, but they lost 4-1 with Dylan Thomas scoring a hat-trick against them.

Harleston Magpies were long-since relegated and have amassed just six points all season. They also lost with Max Webster in top form for their opposition, West Herts. He scored a hat-trick for his side as they won 7-3.

Bromley and Beckenham’s fate was already sealed too, they lost 4-3 to Brighton and Hove and will go into the relegation play-offs. Euan Gilmour scored four as Cambridge City beat Teddington 6-2.

Men’s Hockey League (Sunday, March 13 2016):

Men's Premier Division: Hampstead and Westminster 0, Holcombe 3; Beeston 2, East Grinstead 2; Wimbledon 1, Canterbury 0; Brooklands Manchester University 3, Reading 1; Cannock 3, Surbiton 6.

Men's Conference East: Cambridge City 6, Teddington 2; Sevenoaks 1, Richmond 2; Brighton and Hove 4, Bromley and Beckenham 3; Oxted 4, Southgate 1; West Herts 7, Harleston Magpies 3.

Men's Conference West: Team Bath Buccaneers 2, University of Exeter 1; Guildford 0, Cheltenham 0; Chichester Priory Park 1, Indian Gymkhana 0; Isca 3, University of Birmingham 1; Fareham 2, Cardiff and Met 3.

Men's Conference North: Doncaster 1, Loughborough Students 2; Deeside Ramblers 2, Sheffield Hallam 4; Olton and West Warwicks 5, Preston 2; Wakefield 1, Bowdon 7; University of Durham 3, Lichfield 0.

England Hockey Board Media release

Irish Men's EY Hockey League Round Up

Glenanne’s hard-fought 2-0 win over Three Rock Rovers has set up a big race for the final EY Champions Trophy place from the men’s EY Hockey League with plenty of sides still holding out hope of reaching the finals weekend.
After a scoreless first half, Shannon Boucher scored his 23rd goal of the season for the Glens from a penalty corner before Gary Shaw sealed the deal for the Tallaght side against their Dublin rivals.

They were grateful, too, to goalkeeper Lukasz Domachowski who made a couple of huge saves to keep the Glens’ sheet clean. The result lifts Glenanne into a share of fourth with Rovers with four rounds remaining.

Railway Union are two points back from that pair after they fell to a 1-0 defeat to Monkstown as Andrew Ward’s early goal proved the only score of the game in Rathdown. He got on the end of a piece of magic from Jonny Bruton to break the deadlock. Town looked all but home and hosed in second place as a result.

Banbridge were another side to strengthen their hand in third place thanks to a late blitz against Annadale. Bann looked in a spot of bother against the bottom placed side at 2-2 with 15 minutes to go before Eugene Magee – with his third of the game – Bruce McCandless and Jonny McKee score in quick succession for a 5-2 result.

Cookstown produced the performance of the day to escape the relegation places for the first time since October with a 4-0 win over Cork C of I who drop to ninth place.

Simon Todd and Ryan Millar built a 2-0 half-time lead and, after a C of I fightback, the Co Tyrone side finished strong with Millar and Jon Ames scoring the closing six minutes to ensure the points.

Lisnagarvey moved within one win of the regular season title and a European spot thanks to their 3-2 win over Pembroke. Two goals in quick succession from Mikey Watt built a half-time lead that Andy Williamson extended before Pembroke rallied with late goals from Harry Spain and Eric Foy to reduce the gap.

They ran out of time, however, and Garvey go into their Irish Senior Cup final next Sunday off the back of a 12-day winning streak in the league.

The EYHL, meanwhile, goes into a three-week break with the next series of matches on April 2nd.
Men’s EY Hockey League results: Cookstown 4 (R Millar 2, S Todd, J Ames) Cork C of I 0; Glenanne 2 (S Boucher, G Shaw) Three Rock Rovers 0; Annadale 2 (P McKibbin, J Cox) Banbridge 5 (E Magee 3, B McCandless, J McKee); Lisnagarvey 3 (M Watt 2, A Williamson) Pembroke 2 (H Spain, E Foy); Monkstown 1 (A Ward) Railway Union 0
Extended day 14 reports

Cookstown 4 (R Millar 2, S Todd, J Ames) Cork C of I 0
Cookstown moved out of the relegation zone for the first time since October as they continued their fine run of recent form to plunge Cork C of I for the first time in the campaign.
They survived an early penalty stroke which Ian Hughes conceded before standing up tall to save. Simon Todd opened the scoring in the second quarter off the back of Greg Allen’s approach work and Ryan Millar extended the lead out to 2-0 when he deflected home a corner on the stroke of half time.
C of I had a glut of pressure early in the second half but John Jermyn found Hughes in excellent form between the posts. Cookstown then killed off the game in the closing minutes with Jon Ames making it 3-0 following a fine individual run and backhand finish with six minutes to go. Millar added his second for the fourth.
Glenanne 2 (S Boucher, G Shaw) Three Rock Rovers 0
Glenanne reignited their push for an EYHL Champions Trophy place with a 2-0 win over Three Rock Rovers in Tallaght. They were grateful to their goalkeeper Lukasz Domachowski who had a superb game, particularly in the first quarter when he denied Ross Canning from point-blank range as Rovers made the early inroads.
It remained scoreless to the half-time break as a well marshalled Glens’ defence made it hard for Rovers to break down. The Tallaght side duly pushed on in the second half and, following good work from Neil Byrne and Stu Ronan to win a corner, Shannon Boucher dispatched for a 1-0 lead.
Chasing the game, Rovers pushed hard but David Keogh and Mick McGuinness defended well to limit the danger. A slip from Sam O’Connor presented Jody Hosking with a big chance but Domachowski stopped his slap shot low to his right brilliantly. On the break, Glenanne doubled their lead when Boucher freed Gary Shaw and his low drive rattled the backboard and confirmed the win.

Annadale 2 (P McKibbin, J Cox) Banbridge 5 (E Magee 3, B McCandless, J McKee)
A breathtaking last quarter burst of three goals saw Banbridge eventually shake off the attentions of Annadale at Lough Moss as Eugene Magee’s hat trick strengthened Bann’s hold on a playoff place.
Peter McKibbin gave Dale an early lead with a rasping shot against the run of play in the eighth minute but Magee’s first corner shot tied things up at the end of the first quarter.
The Irish international then punished a defensive error in the second quarter for 2-1 in the 26th minute. Any notion that they would have an easy ride, though, were dispelled when James Cox whizzed home a penalty corner past Peter Bingham in the third quarter to tie things up at 2-2 and set up intriguing final 15 minutes.
But Bann quickly raced away. Josh Moffett won a corner from which Magee completed his hat trick. With Peter Brown prompting the attacks, Bruce McCandless and McKee added two further goals in quick succession to stretch the advantage as Dale struggled in the late phases in the absence of Matthew Allister, Connor Roberts and Michael Robson.
Lisnagarvey 3 (M Watt 2, A Williamson) Pembroke 2 (H Spain, E Foy)
Lisnagarvey moved within a win of claiming the European spot and the regular season title as they extended their streak to 12 successive victories.
The returning Mikey Watt played a key role, his two goals in the minutes before half time proving crucial in the final reckoning. After a largely chanceless first quarter, the second period was much livelier. Pembroke fired the first warning shot before Garvey produced some slick moves forward.
Jonny Bell and Paul Gleghorne combined to win a corner which was initially saved by Mark Ingram but fell to Watt who slapped in from close range. Straight from the restart, Garvey won back the ball and, via a quick interchange between Paul Ritchie and Richard Arneill, the ball got to the baseline by Andy Williamson who picked out Watt for number two.
The hosts had to soak up plenty of Pembroke pressure in the third quarter with John Tormey keeping his sheet clean from a double chance. His side moved further ahead when a huge Gleghorne overhead found its way to Watt. He shot across Ingram and the chance looked to be heading in before Williamson tipped in.
Pembroke fought back in the closing quarter with Harry Spain’s drag-flick giving them a lifeline. Another effort from Keith O’Hare was kept out by Tormey before Ronan Flannery, moments after returning from a green card suspension, raced down the right and located Eric Foy who popped home. Garvey, though, were able to control the closing minutes to ensure there was no further drama.
Monkstown 1 (A Ward) Railway Union 0
Andrew Ward’s first quarter goal was all that stood between Monkstown and Railway Union in a close-run battle that all but secures the sky blues place in the EY Champions Trophy places while Railway drop to sixth place.
After some initial Railway attacks, Town hit the front when Jonny Bruton beat several defenders before finding Ward who finished off for 1-0. In reply, Railway had a couple of corner chances with Kenny Carroll having an effort ruled out for hitting the ball too high as they sought an equaliser.
Into the second quarter, David Fitzgerald saved from Mark English while Stephen O’Keeffe needed to be alert to deny Bruton’s high reverse as both sides created chances.
English continued to provide menace in the third quarter while Bruton led the Monkstown line. From another pair of Railway corners, Stephen Cole was required to take one off the line to maintain the narrow advantage. They continued to push on in the final quarter but their final pass let them down while Ward and Bruton’s pace was always a threat at the far end but to no further scores.

Irish Hockey Association media release

Irish Women's EY Hockey League Round Up

Pegasus and Railway Union made big moves into the women’s EY Champions Trophy playoff places with comprehensive victories over the weekend, putting a shell-shocked Ulster Elks on the back foot.
Suzanne Ferris scored twice in Pegasus’s 5-1 win over UCC at the Mardyke, a win that moves them up to 32 points as they keep their hold on second place. They need to avoid defeat to Elks on the final day of the regular season to go through to the final four while they could conceivably get there should they avoid a heavy defeat.
Railway, meanwhile, moved back up to third place with a 6-0 win over Greenfields with six different players on the score sheet. First quarter goals from Sarah Canning and Niamh Carey set them on their way before Jodie Douglas, Zara Delany, Anna Heisterkamp and Emma Smyth pushed out the scoreline.
Railway have a game in hand, too, against Ards which, if they win, would rubber-stamp their playoff ticket.
Ulster Elks were the side to drop back as their run of five successive wins ended in abrupt fashion with league champions Hermes scoring a stunning 7-0 win at Jordanstown.
Nikki Evans netted a hat trick on her return to the team for the first time since the Irish Senior Cup semi-final while Naomi Carroll scored a contender for goal of the season with a sublime piece of 3D skills.
Elks drop down to fourth place on 32 points where they are joined by UCD. The Dublin students have a slim outside chance of reaching the playoffs but need a number of favours from elsewhere.
They were 4-3 winners over Cork Harlequins with Leah Ewart scoring the winner in the closing quarter after the pendulum swung back and forth throughout the first three phases.
Pembroke won 3-1 at Ards to move up to sixth place, a result that means Ards still are not out of the woods in terms of the relegation playoff place. With two games left, they sit two points above UCC from which one win will see them safe.

Women’s EY Hockey League results: UCC 1 (H Lehane) Pegasus 5 (S Ferris 2, H McMillan, P Glass, A Speers); Ards 1 (C Brown) Pembroke 3 (S Clarke, J Collins, E Horan); Cork Harlequins 3 (M Crowley 2, R Kohler) UCD 4 (D Duke, K Mullan, S Clarke, L Ewart); Railway Union 6 (S Canning, N Carey, J Douglas, Z Delany, A Heisterkamp, E Smyth) Greenfields 0; Ulster Elks 0 Hermes 7 (N Evans 3, C Watkins 2, A O’Flanagan, N Carroll)

Extended day 17  reports

UCC 1 (H Lehane) Pegasus 5 (S Ferris 2, H McMillan, P Glass, A Speers)
Pegasus have taken the advantage going into the closing round of matches in the race for the EY Champions Trophy playoff places following a comprehensive win at the Mardyke.
Hannah McMillan’s deflected corner shot in the first minute gave the Ulster side a flying start and went close to further goals – seeing another effort disallowed – via Alex Speers. UCC applied more pressure in the second quarter and, from their second corner, Holly Lehane scored to level the game up.
But Pegasus reasserted their lead from another corner – one in which UCC were short-handed for breaking the line – with Pamela Glass thumping into the bottom corner. Vanessa Surgeoner created the third when she slipped to Suzanne Ferris to finish at the right post in the 43rd minute.
Alex Speers got a touch to Hannah Grieve’s ball in for the fourth goal in the fourth quarter before Ferris completed the victory with a volley on the rebound. Pegasus sit second with one game remaining, giving them the upper hand going into a final league game with Ulster Elks on April 2.
Ulster Elks 0 Hermes 7 (N Evans 3, C Watkins 2, A O’Flanagan, N Carroll)
Hermes ended Ulster Elks run of five successive league wins in the most dramatic style at Jordanstown as they shook off their own recent poor form in an emphatic way.
It took just three minutes to get on the scoreboard with an initial shot hitting the post but falling straight to Nikki Evans to tap in the deflection. Megan Frazer hit a post in reply for the Elks but it was the closest they came to scoring and they were 2-0 down at the end of the first quarter when Chloe Watkins scored with a low drag-flick.
Naomi Carroll extended the lead with one of the goals of the season, running with the ball on the bounce from the right of the D before flicking it up and smashing an upright backhand volley into the back of the net on 26 minutes.
The Elks started to come more into it in the third quarter, winning several penalty corners, but Emma Gray was equal to the challenge. Evans, though, scored once again for a 4-0 lead and her side added three more goals in the closing quarter with Anna O’Flanagan and Watkins’ second among them.
Evans completed her hat trick in what was her first game since returning from an injury sustained in the Irish Senior Cup tie against Ards.
Ards 1 (C Brown) Pembroke 3 (S Clarke, J Collins, E Horan)
Pembroke’s late season flurry of form lifted them to sixth place in the women’s EY Hockey League as Ards’ bid to escape the threat of a relegation playoff goes on for another few weeks.
Sarah Clarke, from a clever switch from left to right, was hit home from Pembroke’s third corner of the game for a 1-0 lead before half-time. The Dubliners continued their momentum into the second half with another couple of corners soon after the break, the second of which was scored by Jill Collins from a neat deflection.
Ards bounced back, forcing Stella Davis into a couple of smart saves but she was unable to stop Chloe Brown who picked up just inside the 23m line and drove into the left side of the circle. She jinked past three defenders before crashing a shot in from six yards.
Pembroke’s response was quick, however, and Eanna Horan got an important third for 3-1 before the third quarter was out. Ards pushed hard to find another lifeline and forced two early corners in the final quarter but nothing accrued. Ards sit two points above UCC with a game in hand and so a win will see them safe.

Cork Harlequins 3 (M Crowley 2, R Kohler) UCD 4 (D Duke, K Mullan, S Clarke, L Ewart)
UCD kept alive their hopes of a playoff place, ending Cork Harlequins’ prospects in the process as the students edged a thrilling 4-3 result at Farmer’s Cross. In a game that swung from end to end throughout, Quins broke the deadlock in the 12th minute when Cliodhna Sargent intercepted a pass and drove forward. She laid off to Miriam Crowley who slapped home for 1-0.
Deirdre Duke and Gillian Pinder have missed a couple of games of late through injury but, back in situ, they caused plenty of danger. And they got level before half-time when Duke found herself with a hugely inviting chance that Dale Burkley did brilliantly to stop initially but rebounded back off the Quins goalkeeper and Duke again to end up in the goal.
Rachael Kohler restored the Quins lead – having earlier had a goal disallowed – from a corner strike. UCD levelled within two minutes as a fine run from Kate Lloyd ended with a cross for Sorcha Clarke who tapped in at the back post.
It became 3-2 in the 37th minute from the penalty spot with Katie Mullan coolly dispatching but the momentum switched back in the Cork side’s fabour when Crowley and Rachel Hobbs traded passes before the former swept in. Leah Ewart, though, was to prove the game-breaker in the final quarter when she scored from a corner switch to the left for a 4-3 lead as they held off a stiff late challenge from Quins.
Railway Union 6 (S Canning, N Carey, J Douglas, Z Delany, A Heisterkamp, E Smyth) Greenfields 0
Railway Union eased to a 6-0 win over Greenfields to move back into the top three playoff places. Sarah Canning got them up and running from a corner rebound before twins Michelle and Niamh Carey combined through midfield with the latter slotting past Sinead Collins for 2-0 on quarter-time.
Jodie Douglas deflected in the third after good approach work from Emer Lucey for 3-0 at half-time. Captain Zara Delany got the fourth from a Michelle Carey shot that rebounded her way and Anna Heisterkamp’s reverse-stick shot accounted for goal number five. Emma Smyth closed out the scoring in the final period with a few individual skills before shooting home.

Irish Hockey Association media release

Nakuru Hockey Club upset former champions Strathmore


Dolcan Mwangatsi of Nakuru Hockey Club (left) and Joseph Obare of Strathmore University during their Kenya Hockey Union men's Premier League match at Nairobi City Park Stadium on March 13, 2016. Nakuru won 1-0. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Nakuru Hockey Club on Sunday upset two-time league champions Strathmore University 1-0 in a Kenya Hockey Union (KHU) men’s Premier League match at City Park Stadium, Nairobi.

Ken Alumasa scored the winner in the 58th minute through a field goal to give the visitors the maximum three points. The win completed a good weekend for the Nakuru side who on Saturday beat Mvita XI 2-0 at the same venue.

Nakuru coach Tony Agesa was impressed with his team’s performances. He urged his charges to build on the results in their next assignments.

“It was a great weekend, two wins from two is an excellent result. The lads deserved the wins after putting in good performances,” Agesa told Daily Nation Sports.


Alumasa was impressive for Nakuru, who were promoted to the top flight last season finding the net in his side’s 2-0’s win over Mvita XI on Saturday. John Rioba added the other goal to condemn the Coastal side to yet another defeat.

Gladiators, who had on Saturday thrashed Western Jaguars 3-0 at City Park, tried desperately to find a way into the match but were thwarted by the Nakuru rear guard with excellent defending.

Gladiators’ midfielder Festus Onyango, who grabbed a brace against Jaguars on Saturday, was unable to repeat his heroics. He struggled to create chances for his team.

Earlier, Parkroad piled more misery on Mvita after handing them a 4-0 drubbing in another league encounter played at City Park. Ian Oyale and Paul Gumbe each grabbed a brace for the home side.

Parkroad also ended the weekend with maximum points after their 2-1 win over rivals Parklands at the same venue. It was, however, a bad weekend for Mvita who failed to complete a point from their two weekend assignments. They are second from bottom.

Daily Nation

Arif Sabron! Arif Sabron!, Arif Sabron! Arif Sabron!

by Jugjet Singh

BUKIT Jalil Sports School Thunderbolts' (BJSS) Arif Sabron scored four goals to single-handedly beat Sekolah Sukan Tunku Mahkota Ismail (SSTMI) Thunderbolts 4-3 in the TNB Cup finals at the national stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

Staring with a total 16 goals to his name, Arif Sabron also ended as the Junior Hockey League's top scorer with a total of 20 goals.

Yesterday, Arif Sabron delivered two field and two penalty corner goals to deny STMI their fifth consecutive double.

For the record, BJSS last won the TNB Cup in 2009 when they beat Bandar Penawar Sports School, which is now called SSTMI.

"This is a very proud moment for BJSS and credit is due to the entire team for playing as a unit and never giving up even though they were down 1-3 at one point.

"Arif Sabron's four goals were precious, and he deserved credit, for he has been consistent the entire season," said BJSS team manager K. Rajan.

The match exploded in the dying minutes of the first half, when SSTMI's Akhimullah Anuar scored a field goal in the 34th minute.

After the break, Luqman Hakim made it 2-0 with a 43rd minute strike.

But just after the re-start, BJSS narrowed the gap to 2-1 with Arif Sabron scoring in the 44th minute.

However, Arif Syafie gave SSTMI breathing space with a quick strike in the 46th minute for a two-goal cushion.

BJSS refused to cave in, and Arif Sabron scored his second penalty corner goal in the 57th minute to lit the come-back fire.

Arif Sabron then nailed his hat-trick, in the 62nd minute, and this time if was off a field attempt to tie to score at 3-3.

And after after that, Arif Sabron delivered yet again with a penalty forner rebound in the 69th minute for his fourth goal of the match and it also made him the top scorer of the tournament with a total of 20 goals.

Meanwhile, SSTMI-Thunderbolts edged Anderson Thunderbolts 2-1 in shoot-out after regulation time ended 2-2.

Idris Samad scored a brace for SSP-MSP in the 17th, 58th minutes, but Anderson came back strongly in the second half to draw the match with goals from Nur Syahmi Zulkifli (40th) and Azrai Aizad (55th).

However the Ipoh school, which rose from Division One, lost in shoot-out due to inexperience. SSP-MSP received RM15,000 while Anderson RM10,000.

Meanwhile, the national seniors squad held South Korea 3-3 in the Second Test in Auckland yesterday with goals from Nik Aiman (fourth,51st) and Haziq Samsul (35th) In the First Test, Malaysia won 2-1. The team will now head for Australia for four more matches against the World No 1.

ROLL-OF-HONOUR -- Best Player: Alif Syazwan (SSTMI Thunderbolts) (RM1,500); Man-of-the-Match: Akhimullah Anuar (BJSS Thunderbolts) (RM1,500); Best Goalkeeper: Hafiz Ali (SSP-MSP Thunderbolts) (RM1,500); Top-Scorer: Arif Sabron (BJSS Thunderbolts, 20 goals) (RM1,500); Fair-Play: SSTMI Juniors (RM3,000).

RESULTS: TNB CUP Final: SSTMI 3 BJSS 4; Third-Fourth: Anderson 2 SSP-MSP 2 (SSP-MSP win 2-1 in shoot-out).
Posted by Jugjet Singh at 10:19 PM

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

NAT U-16: Selangor Boys continue to impress

by Jugjet Singh

SELANGOR Boys' continued their winning ways in the 1MAS-Milo National Under-16 hockey tournament when they beat Kelantan 2-0 in Group C Sunday.

In the curtain raiser, the Selangor Boys had beaten Perak 8-3.

The Selangor goals were scord by their skipper Zafri Afiq in the 15th and 33rd minutes.

RESULTS -- BOYS': Group C: Johor 3 Negri 0, Kelantan 0 Selangor 2.

GIRLS': Group C: Pahang 1 Perak 3, Penang 4 Kedah 1.

MONDAY: BOYS': Group A: Sabah v Kedah (MOE, 3pm), Penang v Pahang (KLHA, 3pm); Group B: Kuala Lumpur v Terengganu (MOE, 4.25am), Perlis v Malacca (KLHA, 3.15pm); Group C: Negri v Kelantan (MOE, 5.30pm), Perak v Johor (KLHA, 5.30pm).

GIRLS': Group A: Malacca v Selangor (MOE, 7.30am), Johor v Perlis (KLHA, 7.30am); Group B: Kelantan v Negri (8.45am, MOE), Terengganu v Kuala Lumpur (KLHA, 8.45am); Group C: Kedah v Pahang (MOE, 10am), Perak v Sabah (KLHA, 10am).

NOTE: All matches at Ministry of Education (MOE) and Kuala Lumpur HA (KLHA) stadiums at Jalan Pantai.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Selangor led by Azri continue their hot run in U-16

KUALA LUMPUR: Former champions Selangor kept up their winning ways in the 1MAS-Milo Under-16 hockey championships with a 2-0 win over Kelantan at the KL Hockey Stadium.

The Selangor team, who were champions in 2014, had defeated Perak 8-3 in their opening Group C match on Saturday.

Mohamed Zafri Afiq, who scored four goals in the match against Perak, was again the hero.

He scored a brace in the 15th and 33rd minutes to give his team full points and are now the favourites to reach the second round.

Selangor team manager S. Tangaswaran said despite the easy wins it was too early to look at the title.

“It’s good to have started off with two wins. We just want to take one step at a time and move forward,” said Tangaswaran.

“What we want to see is the team improving with each game.”

Only the top two teams from each of the three groups will enter the second round.

Tangaswaran added that his players are still not used to the nine-a-side format.

“There is some improvement from my players but from what I see the other teams are also facing the same problem. Hopefully my players will quickly adapt to it as we go along.”

In another Group C match, Johor also chalked up their second win with a 3-0 win over Negri Sembilan. They had defeated Kelantan 5-1 on Saturday.

Johor will play Perak on Monday while Selangor have a rest day.

The Star of Malaysia

First match held at new Astro Turf hockey stadium

New Astro Turf stadium played host to ‘IV senior men inter-district hockey championship 2016’ in Ramanathapuram on Sunday.— Photo: L. Balachandar   

The newly-laid world class Astro Turf hockey stadium here, inaugurated by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa through video conferencing on February 27, played host to the ‘IV Senior men inter-district hockey championship 2016’ on Sunday.

This was the first match held at the new stadium named as ‘Velumanickam Synthetic Hockey Stadium’ at the Sethupathy Seethakathi Sports Stadium here after it was inaugurated and the home had the privilege of playing the first match in the morning. They clashed with Kanniyakumari in pool A.

More than 500 players from 29 districts were taking part in the league-cum-knockout championship, organised by the Ramanathapuram District Hockey Association and Hockey unit of Tamil Nadu, B.K. Sethupathi, joint secretary of the district association, said.

The championship was held in two phases and more than 250 players from 14 districts were accommodated in the stadium to play in the league matches from Sunday to Tuesday, he said.

The second batch of more than 250 players from 15 districts would play the matches from March 16 to 18, followed by quarter finals, semi finals and finals on March 19 and 20, he said.

The teams were placed in eight pools, he added.

At the end of the championship, the Tamil Nadu senior men hockey team would be selected and they would represent the State in the All India senior men hockey tournament to be played in Uttar Pradesh, A. Chelladurai Abdullah, president of hockey unit of Tamil Nadu, said.

The Hindu

#MotivationalMonday – Learning from the best – to become like them

EuroHockey's Motivational Monday story comes from The Italian Hockey Academy – Learning from the best to become like them!

What shall we do to improve our hockey performances and take our game to the next level? What shall we do in order for our national team to finally compete against the best teams in the world?

The answer is easy: we should learn from the best ones. It is in part from this idea that the Italian Federation started to create the National Hockey Academy for the high training of young people. The main purpose of the Academy is to provide help and support in the development of promising young players. To achieve this goal, the Italian Hockey Federation  has decided to establish a cooperation between Italy and the Netherlands, by creating a partnership with Dutch hockey academies.

At first, the Academy will train a new class of federal coaches, who in turn will have to train new young talents, in all the fields of the Areas recognized as centres of academic training in Italy – which ideally represent the Italian hockey world skills.

On 23rd February 2016, twelve members of our technical staff left for Bloemendaal, where they took part in the first training event under the supervision of star player and now successful coach Teun de Nooijer – winner with the Dutch national team of two gold medals at the Olympics of 2000 and 2004 and two silver medals in 2008 and 2012 and EHF Hall of Famer.

Over a week of hard work, our coaches learned the techniques in use by one the major hockey centres worldwide and will then pass them on to young Italian players, on the occasion of monthly events that have already been scheduled. Also, over the next months, Teun de Nooijer himself will come to Italy and verify the state of the art of the program.

The Italian men’s national team currently ranks 34th in the world ranking of field hockey, while the women’s team ranks 16th. Our goal is, in the years to come, to finally have one of our national teams compete at the Olympics. Learning from the best ones and what a good place to start with the Legend that is Teun de Nooijer.

Thanks to Giulia della Motta, Chair of the Italian Communications Committee for this inspiring story and certainly one that will motivate all of us.

A reminder of the brilliance of Teun de Nooijer, we can’t agree more that learning from Teun must be a great start!

Have a look!


EuroHockey media release

Former Malaysian umpire Naranjan passes away

KUALA LUMPUR: Former national umpire Naranjan Singh has passed away after a short illness.

Naranjan, 61, was a member of the Kuala Lumpur Hockey Association (KLHA) and was a technical official after retiring.

Naranjan, who was a familiar figure at both state and national level tournaments, died at the Selayang Hospital at 5am on Sunday.

He leaves behind wife Harjindar Kaur and siblings Santokh Singh, Rajindar Kaur and Harvinder Kaur.

KLHA secretary V. Rajamanickam said that Naranjan’s death was big a loss.

“He was one of the oldest member of the KLHA. He served since the 70s in various capacities from an umpire to a technical official,” said Rajamanickam.

“His father Amar Singh also served at the KLHA since its founding days. We would like to offer our deepest condolences to his family,” he said.

His funeral will be held today at the Jalan Loke Yiew Crematoriuim at noon. The cortege will leave his house at No 1, Jalan Antoi Satu, Kepong Baru at 11am.

The Star of Malaysia

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author