Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 23 November 2015

All the news for Monday 23 November 2015

Kookaburras seal victory

Fourth quarter strikes from Whetton & Zalewski seal a 2-1 victory over India

Two final quarter strikes from forwards Jake Whetton and Aran Zalewski led the Kookaburras to a 2-1 victory over a dominating Indian side in their second test match in Chhattishgarh Monday morning.

Coming out of the barriers strong, India’s forwards dominated a majority of the ball possession in the first half. Under the bar for the Kookaburras, Leon Hayward responded well to India’s constant pressure, denying them access on several occasions.

It was at the 20th minute mark that the Kookaburras settled and secured their first penalty corner opportunity. Chris Ciriello stood tall at the top of the circle, however, his low drag flick was quickly cleared by the Indian defence and the score remained unbroken.

After reading the play well, India’s forward Devindar Walmiki created a valuable opportunity after deflecting the ball past Australia’s goalkeeper, pushing India in front with a 1-0 lead at the 23rd minute mark.

Another Australian corner followed India’s second quarter strike, however, Indian’s number one runner cleared Kieran Govers’ on-target flick.

Heading into the final quarter of the match, Kookaburras head coach Graham Reid called for a three touch style of hockey, Reid's decision quickly paid dividends for Australia when they netted two strikes from two touches. Flynn Ogilvie found Jake Whetton’s stick in the circle in the 47th minute, which had Whetton deflecting the ball past India’s goalkeeper Sreejesh Parattu and deadlocking the score 1-1.

Following Whetton’s strike one minute later, Aran Zalewski fired a fast past strike towards the goal. Under pressure from Kookaburras’ Simon Orchard, Zalewski’s oncoming ball made contact with an Indian stick which deflected into Australia’s territory, sealing the Kookaburras a 2-1 victory on the final siren.

Kookaburras assistant coach Paul Gaudoin said, “It was an unstable first few quarters, we struggled to handle the ball and when you’re not handling the ball well it makes it extremely difficult to do anything structurally or technically.

"To the boys’ credit, they were able to persist and run the game out, however, we know going into tomorrow’s match that we’re going to have to move the ball a lot of better throughout the game to ensure another win."

Speaking about the decision to move to a three touch style of hockey in the final quarter of the match, Gaudoin added, “We were just trying to simplify the match. The game usually takes care of itself when the guys are playing simple hockey rather than trying to do too much with the ball. When we have good basics we play very well.”

The Kookaburras third and final test before the Hero Hockey World League Final is at midnight on Tuesday morning AEDT, live on Fox Sport 3.

Jake Whetton 47 (FG)
Aran Zalewski 48 (FG)

INDIA: 1 (1)
Devindar Walmiki 23 (FG)

Kookaburras Squad for Indian Test Series
Athlete (Hometown, State)
Joshua Beltz (Hobart, TAS) 6/2
Kiel Brown (Toowoomba, QLD) 170/6
Joel Carroll (Darwin, NT) 104/2
Chris Ciriello (Melbourne, VIC) 176/114
Tom Craig (Lane Cove, NSW) 15/5
Tim Deavin (Launceston, TAS) 118/6
Leon Hayward (GK) (Darwin, NT) 12/0
Flynn Ogilvie (Wollongong, NSW) 13/5
Simon Orchard (Maitland, NSW) 180/54
Jake Whetton (Brisbane, QLD) 99/42 
Aran Zalewski (Margaret River, WA) 71/9

Daniel Beale (Brisbane, QLD) 65/12
Tristan Clemons (Bunbury, WA) 27/0
Matthew Dawson (Central Coast, NSW) 26/3
Kieran Govers (Wollongong, NSW) 109/56
Glenn Simpson (Melbourne, VIC) 129/23
Tristan White (Wollongong, NSW) 65/3 
Dylan Wotherspoon (Murwillumbah, NSW) [QAS athlete] 16/4

Did Not Play - Additional Squad Members
Matt Gohdes (Rockhampton, QLD) 136/45
Blake Govers (Wollongong, NSW) 17/16
Jeremy Hayward (Darwin, NT) 38/13
Trent Mitton (Perth, WA) 78/32                                                                      
Matthew Swann (Mackay, QLD) 122/6

India v Kookaburras Fixtures
Tuesday 24 November - 00:00am AEDT / 9:00pm AWST (Monday 23 Nov)  [Fox Sports 3]

Kookaburras' fixtures at World League Final, Raipur
[All on Fox Sports]
Saturday 28 November – 22:00 AEDT: Kookaburras v Belgium
Monday 30 November – 02:00 AEDT: Kookaburras v Great Britain
Wednesday 2 December – 00:00 AEDT: Kookaburras v Canada
Thursday 3 December – tbc: Quarter final
Friday 4 December – tbc: Quarter final
Saturday 5 December – tbc: Semi final / 5-8 playoffs
Sunday 5 December – tbc: Semi final / 5-8 playoffs
Monday 7 December – tbc: Medal matches

Hockey Australia media release

India go down 2-1 in the second test at Raipur

Raipur: The Indian team suffered a 2-1 defeat to world champions Australia in the second test match of the three match test series in Raipur today. Today’s encounter against Australia was the first ever international hockey match played at the newly inaugurated Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel International Stadium, Raipur. India will now meet Australia in the last match of the three match series tomorrow.

The game began with a fierce attack from the world champions, but the Indian goalpost was beautifully manned by PR Sreejesh as he along with the Indian defenders did not allow the Australians to convert any of their attacks. In the 23rd minute while the Indian forwards were on a counter attack, India drew first blood through a field goal from Devinder Valmiki, giving India a 1-0 lead. The first half there after witnessed heavy attacks from both sides but none of the teams could convert anything to their favour, and the half came to an end with the score at 1-0 to India’s favour.

The second half began as expected with Australia pressing very hard to score but the Indian defenders displayed their class restricting the visitors from scoring. The Indians defended the game beautifully till the 46th minute, but one error followed by another in the 47th and 48th minute from India led to two successive goals from Chris Ciriello and Aran Zalewski in Australia’s favour. This turned around the match and saw the visitors leading by 2-1. India tried hard to come back into the game there after but the world champions guarded their side way to well to let the Indian’s in.

“We played a good game, but a small error in the last quarter cost us dearly. We are up against the best team in the world and we only take back learnings from this match. We have been attacking well, but our defence needs some attention and hopefully tomorrow we should put up a better show,” said Director High Performance and Chief Coach Indian Men Team, Roelant Oltmans.

India will play Australia in the last match of the series on 23 Nov at 18:30 hrs at Raipur, Chhattisgarh. The match will be telecasted live on Star Sports.


Whetton, Zalewski help Australia go 1-0 up against India

Australia scored two field goals off a deflection. (Image courtesy: Hockey India)

A couple of deflected field goals in the fourth quarter got Australia over the line 2-1 against India in the second of the three-match Hockey Test between the two nations at the Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel International Hockey Stadium in Raipur. Jacob Whetton and Aran Zalewski netted a goal in a difference of two minutes - 46th and 48th - allowing the hosts to overshadow an attacking display by India in the initial stages of the match.

Almost half an hour after the Indian junior team got the better of arch-rivals Pakistan, the seniors couldn't quite follow as they would have liked. India followed a similar script to what transpired in the first Test - holding the lead for the most part, only to squander the advantage in the fag end.

India started out strong and got close to the Australian net on quite a few occasions but couldn't score. Both teams started strongly and India almost took an early lead but S.V. Sunil missed the mark despite having the Australian goalkeeper at his mercy. The hosts seemed to be running out of steam in the attacking third and were unable to come up with that one decisive pass.

Australia then began to counter attack, an effort that saw them pose a few threats, but goalkeeper Sreejesh PR, who clearly looked to be in his elements, made a few crucial saves to deny the visitors a goal. Devinder Walmiki drew first blood, when he made most of a minute lapse from Australia and scored in the 23rd minute to give India the lead. Amir Khan ran to the left before picking out Walmiki inside the penalty circle. He made no mistake, scoring with a one-touch finish.

India held most of the possession in the first-half, after which both teams threatened each other's goalkeepers back and forth with an array of shots. Till the end of third quarter, India managed to hold on to their lead, but Australia's uncanny ability to bounce back when least expected is what got them through. India's defence has been caught off-guard in the closing stages of the game and that's exactly where Australia capitalised.

The Indians ran into trouble at the start of the fourth and final quarter as the visitors struck twice in two minutes. Just as India seemed to close out and register themselves in the series, the pressure mounting on the Indian defence took its toll and Whetton sensed it to produce a fabulous effort from the edge of the penalty circle which took a deflection before finding the top corner of the far post.

Two minutes later, they took the lead with Aran Zalewski scoring in a similar manner - the ball took a deflection off Rupinder Pal Singh's stick, catching Sreejesh on the wrong foot - as the game finished 2-1. Back-to-back goals left Indian players annoyed and their frustration was evident when Manpreet Singh was yellow-carded for a rough tackle.

With the first game ending in a draw, the onus is now on India to stage a comeback in order to get level-pecked. The first match had concluded 2-2 on Thursday.

The Times of India

Late Australian goals sink India in the second hockey Test tie

Aran Zalewski Aran Zalewski scored one of the goals to power his team to a victory on Sunday Getty Images

India failed to hold on to their early lead as they went down 1-2 against Australia in the second Test at the Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel International Hockey Stadium at Raipur on Sunday.

Coming into the game after a 1-1 draw in the first of the three match series, India went into the lead in the 23rd minute through a Devender Walmiki strike. But Australia struck back-to-back goals in the last quarter through Jacob Whetton (47th) and Aran Zalewski (48th) to claim a well deserved victory.

The Indian defenders and midfielders played good hockey to match the visitors' for most part of the game. But the strikers were guilty of not carrying off their finishing moves and the hosts also lacked in coming up with the decisive final pass.

India though took the lead against the run of play in the second quarter when a counter-attack saw Amir Khan make a run down the left before picking out Walmiki inside the penalty circle. Walmiki made no mistake with a one-touch finish. But India faced trouble in the fourth and final quarter with Australia scoring twice in two minutes.

The frustration of the Indian players came to the fore when Manpreet Singh was shown a yellow card and handed a five minute penalty for a rough tackle. The series has been organised as a preparation for both the teams ahead of Hero Hockey World League Finals to be held in Raipur from November 27 to December 6.


Clinical India lifts Junior Asia Cup

s2h Team

Kuantan, Malaysia: Matching its meticulous planning and methodical approach, India colts won the 8th Junior Asia Cup majestically, thumping Pakistan down to 6-2 at Kuantan.

PC ace Harmanpreet struck four goals while Arman Qureshi and Manpreet Singh added a piece in getting India its third Junior Asia Cup title.

Dominating the entire proceedings, India struck goals regular intervals.

Harmanpreet Singh, who converted India's first penalty corner, gave India an early advantage of 1-0. He punched another within 15 minutes of the game.

Pakistan fought back in the 28th minute with a successful penalty corner from Yaqoob Muhammad. Soon after in the 30th minute Harmanpreet Singh scored from another penalty corner to complete his hat-trick taking his goal tally to 14 goals in tournament.

The first half ended with India leading 3-1.

In the second half, Armaan Qureshi struck in the 44th minute.

Manpreet Singh Jr. scored the 5th goal for India followed by another penalty corner goal by Harmanpreet Singh making the score 6-1.

Pakistan scored a consolation goal in the 68th minute through Dilber Muhammad.

Harendra Singh, Coach, Indian Junior Men’s Hockey Team said, “It was an exciting final and the boys displayed immaculate passion and calmness on the field. We ended up as runners up in the 5th Sultan of Johor Cup which made it an even bigger win as we were hungry for the podium position. The support was immense and we felt we were playing in our own backyard. We only have to look forward from here and keep giving such excellent performances.”

Harmanpreet Singh became the highest scorer with his four goals in the match taking his tournament tally to 14.

Special Awards

Player of the tournament: Shahril Saabah Malaysia
Top goal Scorer: Harmanpreet Singh Goals: 14 India
Man of the match: Harjeet Singh India
Best goalkeeper : Vikas Dahiya India


Colts run over Pak, lift Asia Cup

Drag-flicker Harmanpreet scores four goals in India’s smashing 6-2 triumph

The Indian team goes for a victory lap after thrashing Pakistan 6-2 in the jr Asia Cup final on Sunday. HOCKEY INDIA

Kuantan (Malaysia): India thrashed archrivals Pakistan 6-2 to win the eighth junior men’s Asia Cup here on Sunday. The Indian boys started the final on a positive note, looking for openings and creating pressure on their opponents.

They soon earned a penalty corner, and Harmanpreet Singh converted it with ease, taking his tally to 12 goals in the tournament.

India kept up the pressure and won back to back penalty corners in the 13th and the 14th minute. Harmanpreet struck again, giving India a 2-0 lead within 15 minutes. Pakistan pulled one back in the 28th minute with Yaqoob Muhammad converting a penalty corner.

India, however, opened up the lead again when, in the 30th minute, Harmanpreet scored from another penalty corner to complete a hat-trick. The first half ended with India leading 3-1.

In the second half, India continued to dominate as they did in the first half. They increased the lead to 4-1 when Armaan Qureshi struck in the 44th minute. Manpreet jr. scored the 5th goal for India, followed by another penalty corner conversion by Harmanpreet to take the match beyond Pakistan. Pakistan scored a consolation goal in the 68th minute through Dilber Muhammad. “The boys showed immaculate passion and calmness on the field. We had ended up as the runners-up in the 5th Sultan of Johor Cup, and that makes this win even bigger as we were hungry for the podium position,” said India coach Harendra Singh. Harmanpreet Singh finished as the highest scorer in the tournament, finishing with 15 goals, four of which came in the final.

The Tribune

Harmanpreet leads the way as India thump Pakistan 6-2 in the final

Asia Cup Hockey Indian players go for a celebratory lap after winning the Junior Asia Cup. Hockey India

Harmanpreet Singh scored four goals as the India registered an emphatic 6-2 victory over arch-rival Pakistan in the final of the Junior Asia Cup hockey on Sunday reported an English daily.

Harmanpreet, opened India's account in the 10th minute converting a penalty corner. He netted another one in the 15th minute by skillfully converting another penalty corner.

Pakistan struck back in the 28th minute with a field goal by Muhammad Yaqoob before Harmanpreet rose to the occasion with a hat-trick in the 30th minute as India finished the first-half with a comfortable 3-1 lead.

India started the second-half with Armaan Qureshi and Manpreet scoring  field goals in 44th and 50th minute respectively to consolidate India's lead to 5-1. Harmanpreet found himself at the scoreboard again with a fourth strike of the match in the 53rd minute. Pakistan reduced the margin in the 68th minute with a field goal by Muhammad Dilber.


India thrash Pakistan 6-2 to win Junior Men's Asia Cup hockey

(Hockey India Photo)

Drag-flicker Harmanpreet Singh scored a quartet as Indian team kept their unbeaten run intact in the Junior Men's Asia Cup hockey tournament, registering an emphatic 6-2 victory over arch-rival Pakistan in the final on Sunday.

Harmanpreet, who has been on a goal spree in this tournament, opened India's account in the 10th minute converting a penalty corner in scintillating fashion. Harmanpreet netted another in 15th minute with a rocket of a strike to convert yet another penalty corner.

Pakistan struck back in the 28th minute with a field goal by Muhammad Yaqoob before Harmanpreet rose to the occasion with a hat-trick in the 30th minute as India finished the first-half with a comfortable 3-1 lead.

India started the second-half with the usual flair when Armaan Qureshi and Manpreet scored field goals in 44th and 50th minute respectively to consolidate India's lead to 5-1. Harmanpreet found himself at the scoreboard again with a fourth strike of the match in the 53rd minute and became the highest scorer of the tournament with 15 goals.

Pakistan reduced the margin in the 68th minute and scored a consolation goal through Muhammad Dilber.

Indian coach Harendra Singh said, "It was an exciting final and the boys displayed immaculate passion and calmness on the field. We ended up as runners up in the 5th Sultan of Johor Cup which made it an even bigger win as we were hungry for the podium position. The support was immense and we felt we were playing in our own backyard. We only have to look forward from here and keep giving such excellent performances."

The Times of India

India lift third Junior Asia Cup trophy

by S. Ramaguru

KUANTAN: Harmanpreet Singh was the hero as India clinched their third Junior Asia Cup hockey title with an emphatic 6-2 win over Pakistan at the Wisma Belia Hockey Stadium.

With the win, India equalled Pakistan’s record of three victories in the Cup’s eighth edition. India were also champions in 2004 and 2008 while Pakistan were winners in 1987, 1992 and 1996.

Harmanpreet was in his element, scoring all his four goals from penalty corners as India ended the tournament unbeaten.

The Pakistanis had no answer to the Indians’ better positional play and also their ability to score either field or penalty corner goals.

India drew first blood after only 10 minutes with Harmanpreet firing home their first penalty corner. It was the hitman’s 11th goal of the tournament.

Harmanpreet did not wait long for his 12th goal. Five minutes later, he converted another penalty corner for a 2-0 lead.

Pakistan gave themselves a glimmer of hope when they managed to pull a goal back in the 28th minute through a Mohamed Yacoob penalty corner conversion.

But Harmanpreet restored India’s two-goal lead when he completed his hat-trick in the 30th minute.

The Indians continued to surge forward after the breather with Armaan Qureshi scoring a field goal in the 44th minute.

Manpreet Singh then added the fifth in the 50th minute and Harmanpreet completed the scoring in the 53rd minute.

Mohamed Yacoob scored a second goal in the 67th minute for Pakistan, but it was too little too late to save the match.

Earlier, South Korea edged Japan 2-1 to clinch the bronze medal.

Kim Sung-yeob converted a penalty corner after only three minutes to give South Korea the lead. Ji Woo-cheon increased the lead to 2-0 in the 18th minute.

Just as the first half was about to end, Shunya Miyazaki reduced the deficit with a field goal.

In the second half, Japan threw everything into attack in a bid to force a penalty shootout.

They earned a penalty corner with just 42 seconds left on the clock, but Arai Daichi’s powerful drag flick was thwarted by goalkeeper Kim Gil-myung. 

The Star of Malaysia

India thrash Pakistan for Junior Asia Cup title

KARACHI: Harmanpreet Singh slammed four goals, all off penalty corners, as India bulldozed three-time former champions Pakistan 6-2 in the one-sided final to regain the juniors Asia Cup in the Malaysian city of Kuantan on Sunday. The winners led 3-1 at half time.

Harmanpreet’s three goals came in the first half in 10th, 15th and 30th minutes while he added the fourth in 53rd minute. Amaan Qureshi and Manpreet scored once in 44th and 50th minutes to pour salt on Pakistan’s wounds.

Pakistan managed to score twice, once in each half, through Mohammad Yaqoob off penalty corner in 28th minute and Mohammad Dilber in the 68th minute.
Harmanpreet hits four in 6-2 win

The triumph helped India equal Pakistan’s feat by winning the title for an overall third time since inception with the previous two being in 2004 and 2008.

Earlier, South Korea whipped Japan 2-1 to seize third position in the eight-nation contest.

In the other classification matches, host and defending champions Malaysia thrashed Bangladesh 8-0 to finish fifth while China grabbed seventh position by getting the better of Oman 7-2.

Final positions: 1-India, 2-Pakistan, 3-South Korea, 4-Japan, 5-Malaysia, 6-Bangladesh, 7-China, 8-Oman.


Malaysia vent anger on Bagladesh

By Jugjet Singh

MALAYSIA beat Bangladesh 8-0 to finish fifth in the Junior Asia Cup in Kuantan yesterday.

It was a lopsided match from the start, as Malaysia took a 3-0 lead at half-time and never let Bangladesh back into the match.

Even though Malaysia failed to qualify for the Junior World Cup next year, they still showed some determination to beat China 5-1 in the seventh-eighth classification, and then Bangladesh by a big margin.

Sufi Ismat scored a brace in the second and sixth minutes, while Haziq Samsul also nailed a hat-trick in the 30th, 44th and 66th minutes.

The other goals were scored by Najmi Jazlan (56th, 58th) and Azwar Rahman (56th).

"Even though we failed to qualify for the World Cup, these players still deserve praise because its not east to wake up from such a disaster to beat China and Bangladesh by big margins in the lower classification," said coach Arul Selvaraj.

Seniors coach Stephen van Huizen, who is in Kuantan to watch the matches, will select seven players from the juniors squad to train with him.

Three players who have played with the seniors before in many international tournaments Shahril Saabah, Meor Hassan and Haziq Samsul are among the seven.

"I will select seven, including the three that have played with the seniors before because there are many talented players in the juniors side, and its unfortunate that they did not qualify for the Junior World Cup," said Van Huizen.

The seniors are in training for the Azlan Shah Cup next April, where teams like Germany and Netherlands have been invites. Defending champions New Zealand, silver medallists Australia, India, England and Japan are the other teams that have been invited for the Silver Jubilee of the Cup.

RESULTS: Seventh-Eighth: China 7 Oman 2; Fifth-Sixth: Malaysia 8 Bangladesh 0; Third-Fourth: Japan x South Korea x; Final: India x South Korea x.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Malaysia just fifth best in Junior Asia Cup hockey

by S. Ramaguru

KUANTAN: Malaysia signed off from the Junior Asia Cup with an 8-0 thumping of minnows Bangladesh to finish fifth.

Malaysia, who failed to qualify for next year’s Junior World Cup in New Delhi after failing to finish in the top four, led 3-0 at half-time at the Wisma Belia Hockey Stadium.

Mohamed Haziq Shamsul was the toast, scoring a hattrick. He was on target in the 30th, 44th and 66th minutes. Mohamed Sufi Ismat (second and sixth) and Mohamed Najmi Nurjazlan (52th and 58th) scored a brace. Mohamed Azwah Rahman contributed the other goal in the 56th minute.

National Juniors coach A. Arulselvaraj said it was a matter of pride for Malaysia to finish fifth with a big scoreline.

“The players wanted to win convincingly to show they had the potential. Yes, it is a bit late to make amends.

“It is a huge disappointment to miss the Junior World Cup. But we had a job to do today and I am glad they walked off the field with their heads held high. We need to look forward and move on.

“We made some mistakes and all I ask of the players is to learn from it and work on it for the future,” he added.

China also scored a big win to finish seventh, beating Oman 7-2.

Zhang Tao Zhu scored a brace in the 20th and 21st minutes to start the ball rolling. Wang Yong Ze (28th and 51st), Li Hui Yin (45th), Meng Wei (49th) and Meng Di Yao (55th) added the other goals. Oman replied through Salmeen Al Nofali (33rd) and Mohamed Al Lawati (57th).

The Star of Malaysia

Hashim throws in surprise resignation

MALAYSIAN Hockey Confederation (MHC) Competitions Committee secretary Hashim Yusoff has abruptly put in his resignation letter.

His last day is today. Hashim confirmed his resignation from MHC, but declined to elaborate.

The former Armed Forces player was brought into Malaysian hockey administration by the late MHF secretary S. Satgunam after the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Commonwealth Games.

Mirnawan quits as well

In the wake of a disastrous outing, in the Junior Asia Cup, national juniors team manager Mirnawan Nawawi has quit the outfit. More changes can be expected when the MHC meet to discuss the teams future inside one week.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Spotlight on: Netherlands men

2013 was a disappointing year for Netherlands (FIH World Ranking: 2), the Olympic silver medallists from London 2012, but 2014 saw Oranje return to form in style. The year started with a stunning performance at the Hero Hockey World League Final, where they took the title by beating New Zealand 7-2 in the gold medal match.

The result sent out a strong message that they were serious contenders to claim a home victory at the Rabobank Hockey World Cup in The Hague, where they performed brilliantly to reach the final before being forced to settle for the silver medal as Australia’s Kookaburras claimed their second successive world crown with a dazzling 6-1 triumph.

In 2015, the influence of Max Caldas – the Buenos Aires born former Argentina international who between 2012 and 2014 guided the Netherlands women Olympic, World Cup and World League glory – has been clear for all to see, with the team sealing their place at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games with a third place finish in the ARG HWL Semi-Final in Buenos Aires before winning the Unibet EuroHockey Championships with an emphatic 6-1 final victory over Olympic champions Germany.

The Netherlands squad selected for Raipur contains a glittering array of world class talent including midfield dynamo Robert van der Horst, quick-silver striker Jeroen Hertzberger and skillful playmaker Billy Bakker, while powerhouse defender Mink van der Weerden is arguably the best penalty corner flicker in the world. In-form and with plenty of firepower, they could be the team to beat in Raipur.

Nickname: Oranje

Key Player: Robert van der Horst. Team captain Van der Horst is a central figure in the Dutch line-up thanks to his energy, skill and vision. This brilliant midfielder played an instrumental role in helping the Netherlands to claim both the silver medal at the Rabobank Hockey World Cup and their stunning gold medal success in August’s Unibet EuroHockey Championships. The 31-year-old is one of the most experienced players in the Dutch line-up, having made well over 200 international appearances.

Notable honours:
2x Olympic gold medallists (1996, 2000)
3x FIH World Cup winners (1973, 1990, 1998)
8x FIH Champions Trophy winners (1981, 1982, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2006)
Hockey World League winners (2012-14 Edition)
4x European champions (1983, 1987, 2007, 2015)

Coach quote - Max Caldas: “All of the players selected have been involved in tournaments in recent years. In this period, the emphasis is less on the team and more on individual development. Of course this year was about qualifying for Rio, but we go to India with a clear objective to win this tournament.”

FIH site

Germany, Netherlands invited for Azlan Shah Cup

By Jugjet Singh

THE Malaysian Hockey Condeferation (MHC) have invited Germany and Netherlands for the 25th Azlan Shah Cup on April 7-17 next year.

The Silver Jubilee of the Cup, which started as a biennial event in 1983 and then became a yearly tournament in 1998, will be an eight-team event and follow the quarter-finals format for all teams.

Malaysia will be up against the best teams in the world like Australia, England, India, New Zealand and Japan -- provided the teams accept the invitations sent on Oct 29.

To date, India is the only team which has replied in the positive.

Australia are the most successful Azlan Shah Cup team with eight titles (1983, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2014), followed by India who won five golds including the 2010 joint champions with South Korea (1985, 1991, 1995, 2009, 2010*)

Germany and Netherlands rarely take up the invitations due to clash with domestic tournaments. Germany won in 1987 and 2001 while Netharlands won in 2006.

Malaysia have never won gold in the tournament but have five silvers to show (1985, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014), while New Zealand are the defending champions as they beat Australia 3-1 in a penalty shoot-out after a 2-2 draw in regulation time last year.

Malaysia are in training under coach Stephen van Huizen and Technival Director Tery Walsh but it would be too much to as for a gold in the 25th Edition.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Two from two

Australia's U23 men secure 4-0 victory on day two in Canberra

Australia’s U23 men secured a 4-0 victory over New Zealand in Canberra on day two of the series.

James Day’s strike at the 26th minute mark put Australia onto the scoreboard after netting a penalty stroke and MacKenzie Warne’s on-target strike followed in the 29th minute, setting the Burras up with a 2-0 lead heading into the halftime break.

Two second half goals from Jacob Andrade and Jai Walker Kidd sealed Australia’s U23 men a 4-0 victory on the final siren.

Australia's U23 men's assistant coach Ben Bishop said, "Today was a pleasing performance from everyone and an improvement from game one. The group arrived into the camp on Thursday and met each other for the first time, so our connections are taking some time to develop.

"The group have set themselves the task of improving each game of the series, so I look forward to seeing how they can respond in game three.”

Match three takes place in Canberra at 3pm AEDT on Tuesday.

Match 2 of 5
Canberra, ACT

Australia U23: 4 (2)
James Day 26 (PS)
MacKenzie Warne 29 (FG)
Jacob Andrade 46 (FG)
Jai Walker Kidd 53 (FG)

New Zealand U23: 0 (0)

Australian Men’s U23 Team
National Hockey Centre, Canberra
Name (State)
Oscar Allan (VIC)
Jacob Andrade (NT)
James Benetti (WA)
Simon Benetti (WA)
James Day (ACT)
Johan Durst (VIC)
Isaac Farmillo (NSW)
Max Harris (VIC)
Ryan Jones (TAS)
Cameron Joyce (SA)
Jason Lowe (NT)
Jayden Pearson (TAS)
Hugh Pembroke (QLD)
Aiden Rintala (QLD)
Marshall Roberts (WA)
Lachlan Sharp (NSW)
Stuart Shepherd (ACT)
Jai Walker Kidd (TAS)
MacKenzie Warne (QLD)
Cameron White (SA)

Australian Staff
Brent Livermore – Coach
Ben Bishop – Assistant Coach
Mick Evans – Assistant Coach
Ben Webb – Team Manager
Suzie Goodall - Physiotherapist

Remaining U23 New Zealand Series Fixtures
Tuesday 24 November: Australia v New Zealand, 3pm AEDT
Wednesday 25 November: Australia v New Zealand, 4pm AEDT
Friday 27 November: Australia v New Zealand, 10am AEDT

Hockey Australia media release

Tough day for Future Black Sticks

Photo courtesy Hockey ACT

The Future Black Sticks Men have been well defeated 4-0 by the Australia Under 23s in the second test in Canberra.

New Zealand started the game well, creating several chances in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Australia fought back though and both teams looked threatening but were unable to capitalise in the first quarter.

The second quarter belonged to Australia who dominated possession and scored twice in the final minute before halftime with a penalty stroke and field goal.

Australia kept the pressure on in the second half with a further two goals to come away with their second consecutive win in the series.

“Our basics just weren’t up to the pressure that the Australians were able to put us under,” head coach Bryce Collins said.

“These matches are about learning to manage pressure and the fatigue that comes with the international game. Australia were the better team today, but we’ll continue to learn and develop.”

Tomorrow is a rest day before the two teams meet again in game three at 5pm on Tuesday (NZ time).

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Future Black Sticks edged in opener

Photo courtesy Hockey ACT

The Future Black Sticks Men have been beaten 2-1 by the Australia Under 23s in the first of their five test series in Canberra.

Hugh Pembroke and James Day scored for Australia in the second half, before Matt Symonds pulled one back for the Kiwis in the final minute.

The game was an even contest overall although Australia converted their opportunities with two penalty corner goals while the Future Black Sticks were unable to score from set plays.

“We are pleased overall, though we recognise there is still a lot of work to do and there is still a lot of improvement needed in our group,” head coach Bryce Collins said.

“For many of the team, this is the first taste of international travel and hockey. The goal is to educate the group and to learn more about each of those selected.”

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Brooklands target top four

East Grinstead celebrating a goal during their 4-2 defeat of Reading. Credit: Ravi Ghowry.

Brooklands Manchester University have their sights set on a play-off berth in the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division and they closed the gap with a comprehensive 4-0 win over last season’s champions Wimbledon.

Aidan Khares put them ahead on 30 minutes and Louis Weir doubled their advantage after the break. Khares added a second before Peter Flanagan sealed a fine performance with a minute remaining. They are now up to fifth and just five points off Wimbledon.

Mark Gleghorne was in scintillating form for Beeston as he hit five goals in a 6-2 defeat of Cannock. Hamish Imrie scored their other with Rob Farrington and Arjan Drayton Chana getting the consolation goals for Cannock.

Holcombe are still at the top of the table on goal difference after an Iain Lewers brace helped them to a 3-0 defeat of Canterbury. Rob Field was also on target.

Surbiton kept the pressure on in second place, beating Hampstead and Westminster 4-1. Andy Hayward scored a first half hat-trick after Muhammad Irfan had given Hampstead an early lead. Michael Watt scored Surbiton’s fourth in the second half.

East Grinstead moved from ninth to seventh with a 4-2 win over third-placed Reading. Louis Gittens, Simon Faulkner, Adam Seccull and Sam Driver scored their goals with Richard Mantell and Chris Newman replying for Reading.

Conference West

Cardiff and Met made it ten games unbeaten in the Conference West with a 4-2 defeat of Chichester Priory Park.

Owain Dolan Gray led the scoring with a goal in each half. The result sees Cardiff take a seven-point lead and Chichester remain bottom.

The University of Birmingham are second on goal difference after a 2-2 draw with the University of Exeter. They were headed for defeat until Sam French hit the leveller with eight minutes remaining.

Team Bath Buccaneers are third after a 3-1 win over Fareham and Isca claimed only their second win of their campaign, beating Cheltenham 2-1. Indian Gymkhana beat Guildford 2-1.

Conference North

With only three games taking place in the Conference North due to frozen pitches, Deeside Ramblers and Wakefield made sure that there was still no lack of goals with a thrilling 5-5 draw.

Ed Peel scored a hat-trick for Deeside, including two in one minute and in reply, Greg Moorhouse also hit a treble for Wakefield.

With league leaders Loughborough Students having their game against Lichfield called off, Bowdon had the chance to draw closer and they beat Doncaster 2-1 with goals from Ben White and Will Hearne. In the other game of the day, Preston came from a goal down to beat Sheffield Hallam 2-1.

Conference East

Sevenoaks took Southgate’s second-place spot in the Conference East after beating them 3-1. George Torry, Tom Chandler and Aaron Blumfield scored the goals to put them just three points behind leaders Richmond.

But Richmond won’t be easy to catch. They’ve only lost one game so far and they racked up another three points with a 2-1 defeat of Teddington. Charlie Ellison scored with just four minutes remaining to snatch the win.

Harleston Magpies chalked up only their second point of the season after drawing 2-2 with Brighton and Hove. Cambridge City and Oxted also battled to a 2-2 draw.

Men’s Hockey League (Saturday, November 21 2015):

Men's Conference North: Loughborough Students A, Lichfield A.

Men's Conference East: Bromley and Beckenham 2, West Herts 1.

Men’s Hockey League (Sunday, November 22 2015):

Men's Premier Division: Beeston 6, Cannock 2; Hampstead and Westminster 1, Surbiton 4; Wimbledon 0, Brooklands Manchester University 4; Reading 2, East Grinstead 4; Canterbury 0, Holcombe 3.

Men's Conference West: Cardiff and Met 4, Chichester Priory Park 2; Cheltenham 1, Isca 2; University of Exeter 2, University of Birmingham 2; Team Bath Buccaneers 3, Fareham 1; Indian Gymkhana 2, Guildford 1.

Men's Conference North: Olton and West Warwicks P, University of Durham P; Deeside Ramblers 5, Wakefield 5; Preston 2, Sheffield Hallam 1; Bowdon 2, Doncaster 1.

Men's Conference East: Teddington 1, Richmond 2; Cambridge City 2, Oxted 2; Brighton and Hove 2, Harleston Magpies 2; Sevenoaks 3, Southgate 1.

England Hockey Board Media release

Irish Womens EY Hockey League Week 6/7 Round Up

Hermes beat two of their closest rivals to build an imposing seven point lead over the chasers in the women’s EY Hockey League after just seven rounds of matches.
On Saturday, they ran up a 3-0 win over previously fourth-placed Cork Harlequins with final quarter goals from the free-scoring Anna O’Flanagan and a first for the club from Sally Campbell. O’Flanagan had give Hermes the lead early in the second half but Quins stayed in the hunt for the majority of the tie before that late salvo. O'Flanagan nabbed her second from a penalty corner in the 46th minute before Campbell completed a deceptively comfortably looking scoreline.
Second placed Ulster Elks were the next side to fall to Hermes on Sunday as international trio O’Flanagan – with her 18thgoal in eight games – Chloe Watkins and Nikki Evans on the mark in a 3-1 success. The Elks had drawn 2-2 with third placed Railway on Saturday thanks to a brace from Jessica McMaster. Railway retained their place in the top three with a win at Greenfields on Sunday.
Pembroke and Pegasus were the other big movers in the division with back-to-back wins on the double weekend. For the former, they took the spoils from bottom placed Greenfields on Saturday with a fine 4-0 success with Rachel Scott scoring twice.
A day later, they recorded their first home success of the campaign after three prior losses with a comprehensive 4-1 success against Ards at Serpentine Avenue. Scott nabbed her third of the weekend while there were also goals for sisters Maebh and Eanna Horan as well as Alice Ward – all four scorers were former Trinity players.
Reigning IHL champions Pegasus made a big jump from eighth to fifth as they made it three wins in succession after a tough start to the campaign. Saturday’s 4-1 win over UCD was hugely impressive with Vanessa Surgeoner leading the charge.
UCC were downed a day later 3-1 with Stephanie Thompson scoring twice in the victory for Arlene Boyles outfit. It was the second successive loss for the Cork students in Ulster over the weekend in a 3-1 loss to Ards.
UCD did bounce back from their Saturday loss to beat Cork Harlequins 2-0 thanks to Gillian Pinder and Deirdre Duke efforts. It all leaves a very congested mid-table with six points covering second place to eighth with all vying for at least a top three place and a place in the end of season playoff places.
Next weekend sees the sides play in the second round of the Irish Senior Cup before the elite league returns on December 5th.
Women’s EY Hockey League
Saturday: Hermes 3 (A O’Flanagan 2, S Campbell) Cork Harlequins 0; Ards 3 (C Brown, B Weir, K Harvey) UCC 1 (C Moloney); Greenfields 0 Pembroke 4 (R Scott 2, K Deverell, S Clarke); Railway Union 2 (H de Burgh Whyte, J O’Halloran) Ulster Elks 2 (J McMaster 2); Pegasus 4 (V Surgeoner 2, H McMillan, A Speers) UCD 1 (A Naughton)
Sunday: Hermes 3 (A O’Flanagan, C Watkins, N Evans) Ulster Elks 1 (G Frazer); Pegasus 3 (S Thompson 2, H McMillan) UCC 1 (E O’Leary); UCD 2 (G Pinder, D Duke) Cork Harlequins 0; Pembroke 4 (R Scott, E Horan, M Horan, A Ward) Ards 1 (C Brown); Greenfields 0 Railway Union 5 (J O’Halloran 2, Z Delany 2, E Smyth)
Extended reports


Hermes 3 (Anna O’Flanagan 2, Sally Campbell) Cork Harlequins 0
Hermes made it six from six as two goals in the final quarter saw them outdo a tough challenge from Cork Harlequins at St Andrew’s. Indeed, the scoreline did not reflect the game as the Cork side, from the off, made things very difficult for the hosts and possibly shaded the first half which ended scoreless with Cliodhna Sargent dominant in defence.
Hermes upped the tempo in the third quarter and forced their first corner in the 36th minute, won after some very clever play by Caitriona McGilp. A straight strike from Anna O Flanagan beat Quins keeper Emma Buckley to give Hermes the lead. 
The Dubliners, though, were making a lot of uncharacteristic errors with Quins’ Miriam Crowley and Olivia Roycroft keeping the defence busy but Sarah Greene swept up well to defy major chances from forming.

O’Flanagan gave her side some breathing room with her second early in the final quarter, her second straight strike from a corner in the 46th minute.
Emma Gray made a superb diving save from a Karen Bateman special in the 58m and, as Quins pushed forward trying to get themselves back into the game, Naomi Carroll robbed Sargent on the half way line, beat three defenders with a lovely jinking run to set up Sally Campbell on the near post for a tap in and 3-0 victory.

Ards 3 (Chloe Brown, Becky Weir, Kerry Harvey) UCC 1 (Clodagh Moloney)
Ards claimed their second win of the women’s EY Hockey League campaign to put an important five-point wedge between themselves and UCC between eighth and ninth place. It was built around an excellent first quarter performance in which Chloe Brown and Becky Weir were both on the mark.
The first came from a third minute penalty corner as Brown exchanged passes with Emma Reid on her right before slotting the ball home low and true. Brown saw a second strike well saved before she created the second goal in the tenth minute, picking up the ball on halfway and splitting the defence with a great pass to Tamara MacLeod. She drew the keeper before laying off to Weir for a simple finish.
Kerry Harvey extended the lead to 3-0 at half-time, profiting when Caroline Adams drove down the left sideline and crashed the ball across goal. Harvey swept home from eight yards out.
It stayed that way through a tight third quarter as UCC had more of the game, winning their first corner. And they got on the board in the closing phase with Clodagh Moloney pulling one back from a scrappy set piece.
Ards pushed on in the final quarter, including a series of penalty corners in the dying minutes, but they could not extend their lead further.

Greenfields 0 Pembroke 4 (Rachel Scott 2, Kylie Deverell, Sarah Clarke)
A goal in each quarter saw Pembroke land their third win of the league season with a 4-0 win over Greenfields. They started the stronger and created a number of early chances before the Galway side had their best phase, winning a corner that was well defended.
But they were stung when Kylie Deverell scored from a penalty corner won on the counter-attack. Rachel Scott added the second from a penalty stroke awarded after another counter-attack which saw a stick tackle at close range.

Sarah Clarke continued her fine scoring run with a thunderous corner hit for 3-0 in the third quarter and Scott completed the win from yet another set piece, albeit from a rebound off the back of a great Sinead Collins save.

Railway Union 2 (Julia O’Halloran, Hannah de Burgh Whyte) Ulster Elks 2 (Jessica McMaster 2)
Railway Union and Ulster Elks both lost ground on leaders Hermes as they shared the spoils at Park Avenue in a high quality affair.

The Elks hit the front 10 minutes into the tie when Jessica McMaster scored from a break in play to cap a lively opening to the tie. Railway, though, replied quickly when Hannah de Burgh Whyte’s crossfield aerial put her side in good position.

The initial shot was saved but captain Julia O’Halloran picked up the pieces for 1-1.

McMaster restored the lead for the Ulster side early in the third quarter but, once again, the lead did not last long. It came while Elks were reduced to ten players with de Burgh Whyte slamming home into the bottom corner from a switched penalty corner.

And 2-2 was how it remained until the final whistle despite good chances for either side in the closing quarter. The result was not ideal for either side as both lose ground to Hermes.

Pegasus 4 (Vanessa Surgeoner 2, Hannah McMillan, Alex Speers) UCD 1 (Aisling Naughton)
Pegasus continued their revival after a sticky start to the season with their second successive win, seeing off UCD 4-1 at Queen’s, coming from a goal down to do so.

The students settled first in what was their first trip outside of Leinster this season, getting on the scoreboard after just three minutes when Aisling Naughton turned home a baseline cross for an easy tap in.

Sammy Jo Greer kept the gap at the minumum with a fine save before Pegasus got back in the thick of it just before half-time when sustained pressure paid dividends as Vanessa Surgeoner finished off a penalty corner goal for 1-1 at the big break.

And they built on that momentum a minute before three-quarter time when Hannah McMillan, again from a set piece, made it 2-1. Two minutes later, Speers rebounded from yet another penalty corner for 3-1 and Surgeoner completed the win from play following quick passing between defence and midfield. McMillan ran freely along the baseline before lifting the ball over the diving goalkeeper to her strike partner to finish off.

Pegasus 3 (Stephanie Thompson 2, Hannah McMillan) UCC 1 (Niamh O'Leary)
Pegasus made it three wins in a row to lift themselves to fifth place in the table, a fine performance after they had earned just one point from their first four games of the campaign. Again, they trailed before bouncing back to beat a student side at Queen’s, this time seeing off UCC 3-1.

After a scoreless first quarter, UCC pounced when Pegasus failed to clear their lines with Niamh O’Leary popping up to score from close range. They held that 1-0 lead until half-time.

Pegasus, though, awoke from their slumber and swapped the lead in the third quarter. Quick ball found Vanessa Surgeoner at the top of the circle for a free shot. It was saves but only as far as Stephanie Thompson who levelled from the rebound. Thompson got hers and Pegasus’s second three minutes later from a well-executed corner move.

And UCC were not allowed back into the game in the final quarter with the hosts killing off the tie when Hannah McMillan got her second of the weekend from another corner. Hannah Grieve’s first up shot was well blocked but McMillan swooped on the follow-up chance.
Pembroke 4 (Eanna Horan, Maeve Horan, Rachel Scott, Alice Ward) Ards 1 (Chloe Brown)
Pembroke moved into the top four of the table with a pefect double-weekend as their former Trinity quartet of Eanna Horan, Maebh Horan, Rachel Scott and Alice Ward were all on the mark in a 4-1 home success against Ards.

It was their first win on Leinster turf having previously won matches in each of the other three provinces this term, ending a run of rough home form.

Ards’ Chloe Brown had opened the scoring inside four minutes but sisters Eanna and Maebh Horan were both on the mark in the second quarter to swap the lead in the Dubliners’ favour.

 In between those two efforts, Ards had a corner goal disallowed before Pembroke took the lead via the older sister Maebh from a set piece. Rachel Scott nabbed her third goal of the weekend from another set-play and Alice Ward completed the win when she finished off Jilly Collins’ assist.

Hermes 3 (Anna O Flanagan, Chloe Watkins, Nicola Evans) Ulster Elks 1 (Gemma Frazer)
Hermes made it seven wins from seven, extending their lead over the second placed Ulster Elks to seven points with a fine 3-1 win. They got off to a flying start with a goal two minutes in with Caitriona McGilp feeding Nikki Evans in the circle; she laid on for Anna O’Flanagan to finish.

They forced a number of early corners, too, which goalkeeper Rebecca Davidson kept out while Emma Gray denied Kirstie Lammey at the far end with a top notch save. The Elks drew level in the 11th minute when Gemma Frazer intercepted and hammered home.
Both sides could have taken the lead in the second quarter with Naomi Carroll hitting the post while Davidson made a spectacular stop from O’Flanagan. Sarah Greene was a commanding presence at the back, ably assisted by Suzie Kelly.

The third quarter was only two minutes old when Watkins dragged home from fifth corner to give Hermes a deserved lead. A great strike from St Andrew’s schoolgirl Sally Campbell was inches wide and Evans and Carroll were denied by good Elks defence.

The final quarter saw a yellow card for Elks Rebecca Barry for dissent and, in this period, Evans scored the goal of the game when a lovely ball by Sarah Patton found Campbell and she showed great skill to feed Evans who scored a cracking reverse to the roof of the net.
Greenfields 0 Railway Union 5 (Julia O’Halloran 2, Zara Delany 2, Emma Smyth)
Railway Union got back to winning ways with Julia O’Halloran and Zara Delany both striking twice in a comfortable 5-0 win in Galway against Greenfields.
They created a number of early chances which Sinead Collins did brilliantly to keep out before O’Halloran took in a long ball into the circle on the penalty spot, took a great touch and got a shot away into the right corner of the net.
The lead stretched out to 3-0 in the second quarter. Greenfields had created their best chance from a great break by Maeve Hughes up the right wing before her cross reached Eadaoin Kennedy but she was denied an equaliser by a last ditch tackle.
The second goal came in the 18th minute when a good left wing attack was converted by O’Halloran. Delany then made it 3-0 two minutes later.
Former international Emma Smyth got the fourth with a full length dive to get on the end of a cross and Delany closed out the win late in the game from mid-circle.
UCD 2 (Gillian Pinder, Deirdre Duke) Cork Harlequins 0
Second half goals from Gillian Pinder and Deirdre Duke saw UCD land their third win of the season, ensuring a tough weekend for Cork Harlequins in Dublin, ending with no points from two games.
UCD started the stronger of the two teams with Aisling Naughton and Sorcha Clarke creating chances down the left hand side after good persistence from Leah Ewart. They also had two corners but neither were converted.
Quins duly grew into the game after an intial slow start, building from the back through Cliodhna Sargent who caused UCD problems with the long ball. Olivia Roycroft came closest sending a deflection flying by the back post from a Sargent crash ball.

Into the second half, UCD remained patient in their build up play against a strong Quins defence that was proving difficult to break down. Gillian Pinder broke the deadlock with a thunderbolt into the bottom corner after a brilliant five pass exchange that opened up the top of the circle for Pinder.

The fourth quarter started with Quins looking to get an equaliser but they found it difficult to get anything out of a disciplined UCD defence. The Cork side earned their first penalty corner of the game with four minutes to go which Cliodhna Sargeant looked to strike home off a switch but it was brilliantly ran down by Naughton.
Deirdre Duke put the game away a minute later sliding in at the back post to put away a good team move.
Irish Hockey Association media release

Champions Telkom Orange subdue Vikings at City Park


Vikings' Charity Juma challenges Flavian Mutiva of Telkom Orange during the national women league match at City park Stadium on 22nd November 2015. Telkom Orange thrashed the meek Vikings 5-0. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Champions Telkom Orange maintained their unbeaten record in Kenya Hockey Union (KHU) women’s national league after beating Vikings 5-0 on Sunday in a league encounter played at the City Park Stadium in Nairobi.

In other women’s national league match played at the same venue, Daystar Falcons beat Mount Kenya University (MKU) 1-0 while last season’s runners-up Strathmore University side Scorpions were upset 0-1 by Sliders.

Kenya International Audrey Omaido grabbed a brace on either side of the game, with Jane Ofula, Jacqueline Mwangi and captain Betsy Omalla also got their names on the score sheet as the champions recorded their 11th successive league win.

Mwangi, who increased her goals tally of the season to 17, praised her team-mates for the impressive performance  and warned rivals to step up their game.


“We have the best players in the league and Africa. Our target is to retain the title but we also have our eyes trained on the club championships which is very near,” the striker told Nation Sport.

Orange, who won the reverse fixture 6-0 in the first leg, were ahead after only two minutes when Ofula was put through Omaido who scored past Vikings goalkeeper Angela Kogei.

Omaido got her name on the score sheet on 28 minutes, finishing off a sweeping Orange move that carved open the Vikings defence.

In the second half, Omaido scored  her second goal of the game after nice play from midfielder Carolyne Guchu and Omaido put her through.

Mwangi who had tormented the Vikings defence for the entire match finally got a goal four minutes to the end before skipper Omalla got the fifth, slotting home an Omaido penalty corner.

Bridgit Omondi scored the winner for Falcons as they edged out a stubborn MKU to avenge their first leg defeat.

Nancy Jepchumba’s winner was the difference between Sliders and Scorpions in a closely-contested match.

Daily Nation

Syracuse senior breaks the school record on game-sealing assist

Rich Rezler

ANN ARBOR, Michigan – Individual awards and a giant, gleaming team trophy sat undisturbed on a table at the center of Ocker Field Sunday afternoon. The public address announcer twice tried to begin the post-game coronation of Syracuse as 2015 NCAA field hockey national champions, but the Orange players were still near the stands – each wearing white National Champions hats and T-shirts – hugging family and friends that had traveled to see the program win its first title.

After awards were finally distributed, and while the on-field celebration continued, senior goalkeeper Jess Jecko pointed to the team trophy sitting between her and coach Ange Bradley at a post-game press conference. That trophy, she said, was all the impetus Syracuse needed to muster the effort it needed to beat North Carolina, 4-2, in the title game.

“It’s the last game of the season and you have to put everything out there, or you can fall short,” Jecko said.

Zoe Wilson, a freshman midfielder from Atrim, Ireland, was the unlikely hero. She scored her first career goal on a corner with 11:21 left to play, breaking a 2-2 tie after North Carolina had rallied from a 2-0 halftime deficit. The Orange (21-1), who scored four goals on five shots, added an empty-net goal in the final minutes.

“I’m numb. I’ve been chasing this dream for 25 years,” said Bradley, who is in her 19th season as head coach at Syracuse. “I have no feeling because it’s so unreal right now. I’m just so proud of these women.”

That numbness may also have been caused by the bucket of ice water Syracuse players dumped over Bradley in the post-game celebration. Temperatures hovered around freezing in Ann Arbor, where 10 inches of snow fell on Saturday – the day between Friday’s semifinal round and Sunday’s title game.

University of Michigan facilities personnel arrived on scene at 4 a.m. Sunday to begin preparing Ocker Field for a 1 p.m. start. The turf had been protected by blowing heat beneath a tarp all day Saturday, but the stands and surrounding walkways required a significant amount of snow removal. Throughout the game, balls that left the field across either baseline disappeared into large snow banks.

“Our team was doing snow angels at practice,” said Bradley, adding that the weather had no impact on her team’s performance. “We train in this. It was not even a bad day.”

Syracuse certainly didn’t look bothered early, jumping out to a 2-0 lead in the first 18 minutes. First senior captain Emma Russell received a cross-circle pass from Liz Sack and knocked a shot past North Carolina goalkeeper Shannon Johnson. Less than 10 minutes later, senior Alma Fenne scored her team-best 19th goal of the season on a hard shot from the left arc.

With her goal, Russell tied the Syracuse program record for points in a career. She would break that mark in the final minutes of her final game by assisting on Emma Lamison’s empty-net goal.

“I think it just shows I’ve had good teammates around me,” Russell said. “Nothing can be achieved on your own. It’s a team sport, and over the past four years we’ve had some incredible players come and go. They’re the people that deserve this the most.”

North Carolina wasn’t ready to call it quits after trailing 2-0 at halftime. Malin Evert assisted on a Gab Majors goal two minutes into the second half and then scored a goal of her own with a one-touch redirection of a pass from Casey Di Nardo with 14:08 left to play that pulled the Tar Heels (21-3) even.

“At halftime, we just said you’ve got to go for it. It’s the national championship game, you’ve got to fight,” North Carolina coach Karen Shelton said. “Who cares if you lose now, but go down swinging. And they did that, and certainly got back into the game. I thought when we tied it that momentum was going our way, and then Syracuse slammed the door. Good for them.”

Bradley delivered her own motivational message during a timeout she called with 11:21 remaining. Wilson scored her game-winner 93 seconds later, but Bradley admitted it wasn’t because of anything strategic she drew up in the timeout.

“It was just a matter of looking in their eyes and reminding them that they’ve trained for this moment every day,” Bradley said. “(Motivation) is all it is at this time. There’s tactics, obviously, but great players make plays. It’s keeping the confidence high, keeping positive, and keeping a belief and staying in the moment.”

The irony of Wilson scoring the game-winning goal wasn’t lost on Bradley. For most of the season while the team practiced corners, Bradley would send her “B Group” of Wilson, Lamison and Erin Gillingham to the other end of the field, where they'd work in relative anonymity while Bradley focused most of her attention on the “A Group.”

“They would always come up and say, ‘We’re going to be the corner unit that wins the national championship,’” Bradley said. “I’m like ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah.’ Then last week we gave Zoe some runs there, something we’ve adjusted into during the third phase of the season, and lo and behold she did it today. She rubbed it right in my face. It was fun.”

In her Irish brogue, Wilson said she was “absolutely delighted that I scored it. … I’ve never been so happy.”

“I knew that it was going to be a slip pass to me, so I was able to prepare myself for it,” Wilson said. “I tried to keep in the moment, just keep my head down. I felt really good. The ball coming across was just perfectly placed (by Lies Lagerweij) and I knew if I just swung on it, it would go in.”

North Carolina continued to pressure Syracuse even after Lamison’s empty-net goal, but Jecko came up with her fourth and fifth save of the day when she redirected a Di Nardo shot off a corner with 2:29 left to play, then stopped a Nina Notman penalty stroke awarded on the play.

North Carolina has reached the final four in each of the past seven seasons, but has come up empty in the season’s final weekend each year since 2009, losing in the championship game four times in those six years.

“You’ve got to put yourself in the position to win, and we’ve been doing that,” Shelton said. “We’re in the position to win it, and they will fall.”

The Orange avenged their only loss of the season in the title game, and the Tar Heels’ 2-1 overtime victory in the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship played a role in the national title game.

“When we lost the ACC championship, I had our kids stay and watch the celebration. We saw that celebration again (Saturday) night on video, and we saw our remorse after the celebration,” Bradley said. “It’s the human spirit that makes these moments special. We really embody that at Syracuse.”


Russell said her team was quite proud to be the first women’s sports team at Syracuse to win a national championship.

“We would say every day that we want to be the first women’s team to win a national championship and the first field hockey team to win a national championship,” she said. “To be the first women’s team to bring it home is pretty special.”


The Orange field hockey team was the second Syracuse squad to bring home national championship hardware. On Saturday, the men’s cross country team won a national title in Louisville, Kentucky.


Syracuse goalkeeper Jess Jecko and midfielders Alyssa Manley, Alma Fenne and Zoe Wilson were named to the all-tournament team while North Carolina is represented by midfielder Nina Notman, forward Malin Evert and back Julia Young. Midfielders Roison Upton and Karlie Heistand represent UConn, which lost to Syracuse in a semifinal. Duke, which lost to North Carolina, put backs Amanda Kim and Hannah Barreca on the team.


Syracuse tops UNC, claims first ever field hockey title

Syracuse Athletics

Four different players scored for Syracuse, as the Orange claimed their first field hockey title. Tony Ding | NCAA.com

The Syracuse field hockey team won the program's first National Championship and the first-ever women's National Championship at Syracuse University.

"I've been chasing this dream for 25 years," said head coach Ange Bradley.

Syracuse got on the board early after Liz sack drove baseline on the Tar Heel defense. She sent a pass out to Russell after drawing the goalkeeper. Russell buried the shot to give 'Cuse the lead. The goal mounted her point total to 139 in her career, tying Martina Loncaria for the all-time program lead.

Russell's goal came 8:30 into the game. Syracuse has scored in the first-10 minutes of each of the four NCAA Tournament games and five-of-six postseason games including the ACC Tournament.

Moments later, Alma Fenne took the ball into the circle on her own and fired a low-backhand shot into the lower right hand corner to up 'Cuse's lead to two.

The Tar Heels mounted a late push in the half, drawing a corner with 11 minutes remaining, but Jess Jecko made a huge save after the ball had gotten behind her to keep Carolina off the board.

North Carolina got on the board in the first-three minutes coming out of the break on a Gab Major deflection into the net.

Moments later, Jecko again came up big for the Orange, stopping a point-blank shot to preserve the Orange lead.

However, with 14 minutes left to play, the Tar Heels' Malin Evert netted the equalizer, but the Orange wouldn't let the momentum swing continue.

Zoe Wilson netted her first-career goal off a pass from Lies Lagerweij following an Orange corner to give the Orange the lead.

After North Carolina pulled its goalkeeper, Syracuse capitalized with Emma Lamison finishing a pass from Russell at the near post to go up two goals.

The Tar Heels kept the pressure up, drawing a penalty stroke in the waning moments, but Jecko came up big again, denying Nina Notman's stroke and giving the Orange a 4-2 win in the title game.


East Stroudsburg takes home DII national title

East Stroudsburg Athletics

East Stroudsburg won its first ever field hockey national championship with its win over Merrimack. East Stroudsburg Athletics

BLOOMSBURG - Senior forward Ally Roth converted a penalty stroke 4:48 into overtime to give East Stroudsburg University its first-ever NCAA Division II field hockey championship with a 1-0 (OT) win vs. Merrimack on Sunday afternoon at Bloomsburg University.

Roth drew the penalty stroke and found the upper left corner of the goal to give ESU the national title, its first in any sport since winning a pair of NCAA DII men's gymnastics titles in 1983 and 1984.

The senior forward, a two-time NFHCA All-America first team selection, scored her 21st goal of the season, 74th of her career, fifth overtime game-winner and second on a penalty stroke.

ESU (19-3) dominated most of the contest, holding advantages of 28-10 in shots and 18-10 in penalty corners, before finally breaking through in the extra session.

The Warriors reached the championship game with a 6-2 win vs. West Chester on Friday.

Merrimack (16-6), also playing for its first national title, advanced to the final with a 2-1 (OT) win vs. Adelphi in the first round and a 1-0 win vs. Stonehill, the No. 1 seed in the East Region, in the semifinals.

Madison Davis had 11 saves for Merrimack, which ranked eighth of 31 DII schools in scoring defense (1.29 gaa) entering the weekend.

ESU delivered the PSAC's 21st DII championship in 24 years and is the sixth PSAC school with a DII field hockey title. The Warriors join West Chester (2011-12), Millersville (2013) and Shippensburg (2014) as recent first-time winners. Bloomsburg (13) and Lock Haven (5) have also won DII championships.

The Warriors won the sixth overtime game in DII championship game history, including the fourth in the last 12 years. Shippensburg won the most recent overtime championship, 2-1, vs. LIU Post in 2013.

ESU played in the national championship game for the second time under head coach Sandy Miller, who improves to 376-259-11 in her 32nd season. The Warriors were runner-up to Bentley in 2001. They appeared in the NCAA Tournament for the seventh time (DIII 1987-88, 90; DII 2001, 09-10, 15).

ESU finishes with a school record for wins (19-3), surpassing the mark of 17 wins set in 1995 (17-4) and tied in 2010 (17-6).

Junior goalkeeper Danielle Ard had two saves for ESU, one in each half. The Warriors held an 11-5 advantage in shots in the first half, then posted a 15-4 margin in the second half, including 12 penalty corners.


Middlebury edges Bowdoin for NCAA championship

Middlebury Athletics

The Middlebury field hockey team won its second NCAA Championship and its first since 1998 by a 1-0 score over top-ranked Bowdoin on Washington and Lee's Turf Field. The national championship is the 32nd overall for the school since 1994, as the Panthers finish their season with a school-record 20 wins (20-2). Third-ranked Middlebury earned NCAA wins over #5 Franklin & Marshall, #6 William Smith, #2 The College of New Jersey and top-ranked Bowdoin en route to the title.

The first 12 minutes of the game were played in the midfield until Bowdoin's Kimmy Ganong took a shot from six yards out that went just wide of the cage at the 12:11 mark. Nearly three minutes later, Rachel Kennedy ripped a shot from the right side inside the arc that also went wide. In the 23rd minute, Ganong laced a scoring attempt from the left side that Middlebury goalie Emily Miller kicked away with her left pad.

On Bowdoin's first penalty corner of the game, Kelsey Mullaney had her first shot blocked and second attempt saved by Miller. Immediately following the corner, Middlebury quickly transitioned the length of the field. A pass from the right by Pam Schulman was tipped by a Bowdoin defender, as the ball was collected in the center of the circle by Middlebury's Grace Jennings. The first-year Panther took a couple dribbles to her left and ripped a shot to the far post past a diving Clara Belitz at 25:45 for her seventh goal of the season. Middlebury took the one-goal lead into halftime, with Bowdoin holding an 8-3 shots advantage.

In the second half, the Panthers recorded a string of four penalty corners during a three-minute stretch, but four shots couldn't find the back of the Polar Bear cage. Middlebury kept up the pressure, and on its sixth penalty corner in the 50th minute, Annie Leonard's reverse sweep hit a Bowdoin stick, popped up into the air and was turned away by Belitz with her blocker.

Bowdoin drew a pair of penalty corners in the 59th and 60th minutes, but Miller saved shots by both Kennedy and Ganong. In the 62nd minute, Bowdoin turned up the heat with a pair of attempts, the best coming from Liz Znamierowski whose shot after a rebound hit the right post and ricocheted away.

The Polar Bears could not muster any quality scoring chances in the final minutes as Middlebury held on for the win.

Bowdoin finished with a 17-14 edge in shots, while Middlebury won the penalty corner battled by a 9-5 count. Miller finished with six saves in goal to earn her eighth shutout of the season. Belitz made three stops for the Polar Bears. The shutout was the 10th of the season for the Panther defense, which allowed just one goal in four NCAA Tournament games.

Anna Kenyon, Schulman, Lauren Berestecky were each named to the all-tournament team, while Bridget Instrum was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player.


Victim of targeted Surrey shooting was popular field hockey player
Man in car with victim hospitalized with injuries
By Lora Grindlay

Surinderpal Singh Hehar was remembered on the Facebook page of the Surrey Field Hockey Club.

A popular member of the Surrey Field Hockey Club has been identified as a man shot dead in Surrey early Saturday.

In a post on the Surrey club’s Facebook page, Surinderpal Singh Hehar, is remembered for his “ever smiling presence.”

“It is with profound grief, sorrow, and disbelief, that we announce the passing away of a great friend, a brother, a mentor and member of our club, Surinderpal Singh Hehar, earlier today,” says the online post.

“We, his friends, family members, his hockey fraternity, are all in a state of shock and disbelief at this.”

Hehar, who was a longshoreman, was one of two men who were sitting in a car at 152nd Street and 66A Avenue at about 1 a.m. Saturday when they were shot.

Hehar died soon after police arrived and the other man was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries, police said in a press release.

“Investigators believe this to be a targeted shooting, however at this point there is no indication this shooting has any connection to any other investigation within the Surrey area,” said Surrey RCMP Sgt. Stephanie Ashton in the release.

“I want to reassure the public that their safety is of paramount concern. IHIT investigators, Surrey RCMP and other Lower Mainland investigative units are working to determine the circumstances that led up to this incident.”

The field hockey club’s statement went on to say: “In this moment of shock, we miss his ever smiling presence, but we, at Surrey Field Hockey Club and Surrey Lions, pledge that he lives with us and within us, that his legacy in our sport shall carry on, that we shall be guided by his principles of brotherhood. We pledge today, that though we may miss him, but the hockey fraternity and community at large shall not miss the legacy of all the good things that he did for our sport, for we, with his guiding spirit, shall carry on strong!”

Anyone with information is asked to call the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team’s tip line at 1-877-551-4448. Those who want to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

The Province

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author