Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 04 October 2015

All the news for Sunday 4 October 2-15

Black Sticks Women win in Blenheim

Photo: Sam Charlton and Olivia Merry celebrate / Planet Hockey

The Black Sticks Women have won 3-2 against Argentina in Blenheim today, squaring up the series ahead of games in Nelson and Christchurch this week.

After a 1-2 loss in the opening game of the South Island Tour yesterday, the Black Sticks got the result they wanted thanks to goals from Kirsten Pearce, Gemma Flynn and Olivia Merry.

But Merry said her side will still be looking for improvements going into their third game on Tuesday.

“It’s always good to get a win and it’s pleasing to see improvements in some areas of our game. But we just need to get better at playing the full four quarters well, and probably still need to be better structured,” said Merry, who is due to play her 100th test this Friday.

In comparison to yesterday’s performance, the Black Sticks Women were on fire from the first whistle and they continued to play with intensity, placing the World No. 3 Argentinians under pressure throughout the game.

There was excitement early on when Black Stick Kirsten Pearce drew goalkeeper Belen Succi to the top of the circle, and seemingly easily Pearce tapped the ball around her and it gently rolled over the line.

But the Kiwis 1-0 lead didn’t last long, the visitors found the net twice through Maria Granatto and then Noel Barrionuevo’s unstoppable drag flick made it 2-1.

The Black Sticks were straight back into it after half time and when they were awarded a penalty corner it was Gemma Flynn who got the deflection and equalised.

With four minutes left on the clock, Merry got the crowd to their feet when she scored from her trade mark penalty corner flick to put the Kiwis in the lead.

“Penalty corners were definitely a work-on from our last game and so to score from penalty corners today was pleasing,” said Merry.

Argentina had the opportunity to equalise when they were awarded a penalty corner right on full time, but they could not convert and the Kiwis bagged the win.

The two teams now travel to Nelson where they face each other again at 5pm on Wednesday ahead of going to Christchurch for the final clash at 6pm on Friday.

The Black Sticks Men will play India twice in Nelson (6th and 7th October) and twice in Christchurch (9th and 11th October).

Click here for more details on the South Island Tour.
Click here to watch the games live and on-demand.

Full time: 3-2 (NZ win)
Half time: 1-2 (Argentina lead)
NZ goal scorers: Kirsten Pearce, Gemma Flynn, Olivia Merry

Hockey New Zealand Media release

Black Sticks level series

Olivia Merry, left, and Kirsten Pearce both scored for the Black Sticks against Argentina. Photo / Paul Taylor

A late goal from Olivia Merry helped the Black Sticks edge Argentina 3-2 in Blenheim today, levelling their four-match series at a game apeice.

After a 2-1 loss in yesterday's opening game of the South Island tour, New Zealand had Merry to thank after she converted a penalty corner four minutes from time.

Kirsten Pearce opened the scoring as the Black Sticks seized an early lead and, after two goals gave Argentina the advantage, Gemma Flynn's strike saw the game in the balance before Merry's late heroics.

But the striker wasn't entirely satisfied with her side's performance, looking for improvements ahead of the series' third game in Nelson on Tuesday.

"It's always good to get a win and it's pleasing to see improvements in some areas of our game," Merry said. "But we just need to get better at playing the full four quarters well, and probably still need to be better structured."

In comparison to yesterday's performance, the Black Sticks were on fire from the first whistle in game two, keeping up their intensity for much of the match to place the world No3 Argentinians under continual pressure.

There was early excitement for the home crowd when Pearce drew goalkeeper Belen Succi to the top of the circle, tapping the ball easily around the Argentinian. But the Kiwis' lead didn't last long as the visitors twice found the net, first through Maria Granatto and then Noel Barrionuevo's unstoppable drag flick.

The home side headed to the break behind but found their way back into the match straight after halftime, with Flynn applying a decisive deflection from a penalty corner. Then, with the clock winding down, Merry slotted home a trademark penalty corner flick to put the Black Sticks in the lead for good.

"Penalty corners were definitely a work-on from our last game and so to score from penalty corners today was pleasing," said Merry, who is due to play her 100th test in the series' final game on Friday.

There was still time for Argentina to hunt for a late equaliser but, in the nervy final moments of the match, the South Americans couldn't convert from a penalty corner of their own right on fulltime.

The teams now travel to Nelson for Tuesday afternoon's third game, before heading to Christchurch for the final clash on Friday night. Both matches will be streamed live and exclusive on nzherald.co.nz.

The New Zealand Herald

Black Sticks level women's series with Argentina in Blenheim


New Zealand’s Anita Punt is kept on her toes by the Argentinian defence during the second test of their series, on Sunday in Blenheim. DEREK FLYNN

New Zealand’s Anita Punt is kept on her toes by the Argentinian defence during the second test of their series, on Sunday in Blenheim.

The Black Sticks evened their four match series with Argentina in Blenheim on Sunday afternoon, triumphing 3-2 in an enthralling display of hockey after the second test went down to the wire.

As in the opening match on Saturday, when New Zealand were beaten 2-1 at the same venue, it took until the dying seconds before the winner could breathe a sigh of relief at College Park.

New Zealand moved ahead with four minutes to play in the fourth quarter when Olivia Merry converted a penalty corner. The Black Sticks then attempted to wind down the clock. With a supportive Kiwi crowd of around 1300 counting down the final seconds the umpire caused a stir though, ruling a bad tackle by New Zealand and awarding Argentina a penalty corner with just seconds remaining.

The Argentina attempt was repelled and quickly cleared though, seeing each side take a victory from the first international hockey matches in Blenheim in 57 years.

From the start both teams showed plenty of intensity, making for an entertaining first quarter in which two goals were scored and several other attempts were only just repelled.

New Zealand was first on the score sheet after five minutes, clearing the ball from their defensive end through a high pass which was misplayed by Argentina's midfield, putting the Kiwis into space and on to attack. Kirsten Pearce found herself one-on-one with Argentinian goalie Maria Belen Succi, whom she beat to score.

The Black Sticks' lead would not last the quarter though, with Maria Jose Granatto scoring from a goal mouth scramble for Argentina.

New Zealand had a great opportunity to move ahead again in the closing seconds of the quarter and looked to have come up with the play, only for Anita Punt's penalty corner drag flick to the top corner of the goal to be brilliantly blocked by Succi.

Instead it was the tourists who went ahead, when play resumed in the second quarter. Drag flick exponent Martina Cavallero's shot was too powerful for the Kiwis' penalty corner defence.

The 2-1 score carried into the second half on a hot and windy day. It wasn't long after the break the scores were levelled by the Kiwis when Gemma Flynn capitalised on a loose ball following Succi's block of another Punt shot.

Then, as play moved to the fourth quarter, the intensity lifted, leading to the dramatic conclusion.

The third test will be played in Nelson on Tuesday.

New Zealand 3 (Kirsten Pearce, Gemma Flynn, Olivia Merry) Argentina 2 (Maria Jose Granatto, Martina Cavalerro). Ht 2-1 Arg


Black Sticks men balancing their focus between India and Australia


Black Sticks men's hockey coach Colin Batch makes a point during Sunday's training at Saxton Turf. MARTIN DE RUYTER/FAIRFAX NZ

India may be their immediate focus although in about three week's time, the Black Sticks men's hockey team know they must beat the world champion Australians to qualify for the Rio Olympics.

So no pressure guys. The Black Sticks women have already qualified for Rio, leaving the men with the onerous task of beating Australia at the Oceania Cup tournament, starting in Stratford on October 21, to realise their Olympic dream. Samoa and Fiji will also contest the Oceania Cup.

It's a quirk of the international ranking system that should New Zealand lose to Australia, then Ireland would qualify for Rio.

Black Sticks coach Colin Batch knows the perils of getting ahead of the programme, but he's also mindful of the enormity of the task in front of them.

"[Having to beat Australia is] in the back of our minds for sure, but what we're trying to focus on is just improving in each session and taking the first match against India as a milestone, initially and we'll see what level we're up to then and work through the four test matches and see what sort of improvement we've made," Batch said.

"So it is still about improving against India, with a view to what will work against Australia."

The Black Sticks are in Nelson, preparing to kick-start their four-test series against India at Saxton Turf on Tuesday. Still, there was no hiding the fact that beating Australia at the Oceania Cup remained their ultimate goal.

"We have spoken briefly about that. We've still got to relax and enjoy what we're doing and the guys are aware of that. If we become too up tight, then we won't be able to perform to our level. If you put it in rugby terms, we'll be dropping the ball too much."

Batch said managing the team's focus had been addressed.

"Look, I'm confident that we've got enough experience in the team and enough experience around the team to handle that situation. We know the players pretty well and they know each other pretty well, so we do know when someone's starting to get a little too stressed out about a situation."

In some respects, India provide the ideal opposition heading into such a critical match against Australia.

"[India have] brought their best group here...so they'll be mixing up their team. But they provide good opposition for us because they attack in a similar way to what Australia attack, and that is very fast and sometimes very fast counter-attacks. So we need to deal with those situations.

"We can't play Australia...so certainly to have India here is ideal for our preparation."

The Black Sticks women's team, captained by Nelson's Anita Punt, will also play the third test of their series against Argentina as the curtain-raiser to the men's clash with India on Tuesday. The women's game starts at 5pm with the men scheduled to start at 7pm.

The men will play their second test at Saxton Turf on Wednesday before heading to Christchurch for the final two tests on Friday and Sunday. The women also play their final test against Argentina in Christchurch on Friday.


Men: Brazil leads Pool A at the Pan American Challenge start up.

Brazil’s national team defeated Panama 18-0, while Puerto Rico and Guyana ended with a 2-2 draw in the men’s competition.

Patrick Espejo

Brazil was the star of the first day of the tournament in the men’s competition of the Pan American Challenge. The tournament started today at Chiclayo city, north of Lima, Peru. They won 18-0 in a great teamwork presentation.

On the second match of Pool A, Puerto Rico played against Guyana, which ended in a 2-2 tie.

The Brazilian squad achieved a comfortable victory over Panama, with a great performance along the whole pitch. Matheus Borges with an outstanding work, was one of the scorers of the match. Bruno Souza, Yuri van de Heijden, Bruno Mendonca, Marcos Pasin and Bruno Paes scored 2 goals each, Lucas Paixao, Paulo Batista, Stephane Vehrle-Smith and Luis Felipe Reus were the authors of the rest.

Based on a hard physical work, Brazil opened the pitch continuously, breaking the Panamanian defense system. “A victory at the beginning of the tournament is very important; it helps decompress the pressure. Our goal is clear: we want to get to the finals us we want to qualify for the Pan American Cup,” said André Patrocinio, captain of the winning team.

 “We know we still have mistakes to correct, but these kind of tournaments help us improve,” said Ademir Montenegro, captain of Panama’s team.

In the second match at the pitch of “Colegio San José” in Chiclayo, Puerto Rico and Guyana met.


On the second match of the morning sports day, Guyana managed to save the first result after trailing 2-0 and leveled the match with Puerto Rico to split points. Puerto Rico was ahead on the scoreboard with goals from Joseph August and Gilberto Monserrate, but later two goals from Guyana’s Branford Aroydy, resulted in a 2-2 draw at the end of the match.

Puerto Rico was close to win the match, as Kenneth Rodriguez missed a penalty corner only 50 seconds away from the end of the match. “We had the chance to define the match, but we couldn’t. A draw is not bad, but we wanted to win. This shows us we have to correct our shortcomings”, said Kelvin Rivera, captain of the Puerto Rican team.

For Guyana, as their captain Devin Munroe thinks, the result is valuable, especially because their country returned to the international arena after being away for almost 8 years.


The matches of Pool B will start tomorrow, Sunday 4th. Host Peru will have a hard debut playing against Uruguay at 9:00 (14:00 GMT). The host team will face the challenge to reach the semifinals of the tournament, and on the other hand, they will have to prepare the team for the Pan Am Games, which they will host in 2019. Two hours later Venezuela and Ecuador will meet.

The Pan American Challenge started today at the Colegio San José in Chiclayo, and will carry on until Sunday October 11th. The first two teams of the final qualification will have the right to compete for the Pan American Cup.

Pan American Hockey Federation media release

Women: Brazil and Peru start the competition with wins at the Pan American Challenge Cup.

Both South American teams obtained their respective victories at the opening of the tournament.

Patrick Espejo

The Brazilian team defeated Panama 7-0 and the Peruvian team defeated Puerto Rico 3-0. Tomorrow, both winners will meet.

First Brazil won and later Peru. Both national teams achieved their respective victories in the first day of the women’s competition of the Pan American Challenge Cup Tournament, held at Chiclayo, north of Lima, starting today until Sunday October 11th.

Brazil, with an efficient scoring, defeated Panama 7-0, with three goals by Mayara Federizzi, two by Luciana Peralta and two by Tatiana Noronha and Anita Rodriguez respectively. This was a match were Brazil could rehearse different offensive plays, with good results and topping the women’s pools with a large difference due to their scoring compared to Peru.

 “We are so happy with this beginning. We all know we must make a good tournament, and that’s our aim”, said Andrea Gomez, goalkeeper and captain of the squad.

Kersthy Montenegro, captain of the Peruvian national team, thinks the match was too complicated. “For most of our players, this has been their first match on an official pitch. We all knew it would be hard, especially because of the high level of our rival. But we are happy to be here, playing and learning from a unique experience”, she said.


Peru made a good debut. Cheered by a crowd of fans, the team led by Claudia Ardiles, relaxed after the initial nerves of the debut, with their first goal by Male Mocagatta opening the scoreboard before the end of first half. Later, during the second half, Canela Devoto and Camila Méndez scored, and the match ended 3-0.

 “We have worked so hard to be able to get to the end of the tournament; this victory encourages us further”, said Ardile.

Puerto Rico is a young team and did not have enough time for their preparation. These two reasons led to the defeat, explained Josefina Freaney, captain of the team.


The main duel for Sunday will be the match played by Peru and Brazil, an attractive show, as both became winners of the first day of the competition. The match is scheduled at 3 PM (20:00 GMT). At 1: PM, Barbados’s national team will make their debut at the tournament playing against Panama.

Pan American Hockey Federation media release

Fiji Men's team to participate in Oceania Cup

Kalesi Mele

THE National men's hockey team will tour New Zealand for the Oceania Cup scheduled for later this month.

The Fiji Hockey Federation had earlier withdrawn both the men's and women's teams from the tournament because of financial constraints but with the help of New Zealand Hockey and the players' commitment, the men's team will be able to travel.

The tournament also serves as the men's Olympics qualifiers where the top two teams from the region get automatic qualification to the world event.

Federation treasurer Senimili Smith said sending the men's team was the best option considering their financial status.

"We had a collective agreement with the players and the coaches and they agreed that the men's team were in a better position to go because they were more prepared. After the Pacific Game we had a short turnaround time to prepare for this tournament and it's practically the same team and officials that will travel and these players have only a limited number of leave days," she said.

Smith added since the decision, the men's team had been supportive and had shown commitment during training.

Training sessions for the team begins from 6-8am today and 9-11am tomorrow at the National Hockey Centre.

The Fiji Times

Australian Masters Teams

Women's Australian Masters teams announced for 2016 World Cup

Following the conclusion of a hugely successful women's Masters Australian Championships in Brisbane the following individuals have been named in the Australian teams for the 2016 Masters World Cup in Canberra.

Congratulations to everyone selected.

Over 60 Women
Karen Allan (Carine, WA)
Sue Bessell (Fairy Meadow, NSW)
Sue Briggs (Baulkham Hills, NSW)
Janet Driver (Blackburn, VIC)
Robin Gorton (Baulkham Hills, NSW)
Jennifer Grey (Kiama, NSW)
Janese McDougall (Carine, WA)
Margaret McIlwraith (Semaphore Park, SA)
Susan Mott (Burleigh Heads, QLD)
Deborah Orrock (Orange, NSW)
Myra Reilly (River Heads, QLD)
Jill Sheehan (Rivervale, WA)
Jane Spalding (Homebush, NSW)
Deborah Stockdale (Mornington, VIC)
Lynette Tout (Werribee, VIC)
Lynne Trustum (Claremone, TAS)

Over 55 Women
Leonie Barrett (Traralgon, VIC)
Sharon Brown (Bella Vista, NSW)
Ruth Bullen (Cairns, QLD)
Kathy Devitt (Palm Beach, QLD)
Diane Fraser (Maryborough, QLD)
Marie Fulbert-Hadet (Australind, WA)
Tracey Hardie-Jones (Geurie, NSW)
Kayleen Kirchner (Avenell Heights, QLD)
Kirsty McIntosh (Earlwood, NSW)
Elizabeth Moffatti (The Gap, QLD)
Karen Russ (Musk, VIC)
Cheryl Rutherford (Marrangaroo, NSW)
Jane Slater (Marrara, NT)
Noreen Walton (Ashgrove, QLD)
Megan Ward (Monterey Keys, QLD)
Gabrielle Whelan (Middle Cove, NSW)

Over 50 Women
Julie Ashton-Lucy (Arundel, QLD)
Tracy Bradford (South Coogee, NSW)
Angela Carpini (Acacia Gardens, NSW)
Joanne Crosland (Davistown, NSW)
Leanne Ferguson (Labrador, QLD)
Cathryn Forbes (Nerang, QLD)
Melissa Ford (Sandy Bay, TAS)
Sue Gordon (Howrah, TAS)
Karen Iwanuscha (Murwillumbah South, QLD)
Michelle Kennedy (Whalan, NSW)
Teresa Kuss (Holland Park West, QLD)
Kerrie Nealon (Barrack Heights, NSW)
Cyndy Slade (Invergowrie, NSW)
Suzanne Stoate (West Leederville, WA)
Ingrid Woods (Mermaid Beach, QLD)
Claire Wright (Subiaco, WA)

Over 45 Women
Melinda Baker (Tewantin, QLD)
Nyree Brown (Chidlow, WA)
Annie Davies (Warradale, SA)
Sherree Delbanco (Unanderra, NSW)
Kate Edwards (Mentone, VIC)
Linda Gaskell (North Hobart, TAS)
Robyn Himbeck (Mount Claremont, WA)
Lauren Johnston (Dardanup, WA)
Janelle Pitman (Goonellabah, NSW)
Sarah Pugsley (Sandy Bay, TAS)
Samantha Rankin (Eaton, WA)
Helen Rankin-Jarvie (Wollongbar, NSW)
Leigh Rogers (Wolumla, NSW)
Louise Sale (New Town, TAS)
Sheryl Simpson (Fitzgibbon, QLD)
Josephine Springthorpe (Mereweather, NSW)

Over 40 Women
Lisa Benfell (Lyndhurst, VIC)
Diana Burton (Keperra, QLD)
Amanda Cruickshank (Currajong, QLD)
Trina Dooley (O'Connor, ACT)
Sally Evans (Hastings, VIC)
Marlie Gulson (Goulburn, ACT)
Darlene Haydon (Murrumba Downs, QLD)
Lizzie  Laird (Seddon, VIC)
Debbie Little (Brighton, QLD)
Sarah McRobbie (Trevallyn, TAS)
Helen Rackham (Hobart, TAS)
Kellie Sadler (Kalgoorlie, WA)
Anita Scott (Stratham, WA)
Katy Vipond (Mandurah, WA)
Jacque Warren (Rosemount, QLD)
Sharon Williams (New Lambton, NSW)

Over 35 Women
Michele Allen (Nundah, QLD)
Rebecca Anderson (North Haven, SA)
Sharni Barton (Albion Park, NSW)
Karen Bowden (Dee Why, NSW)
Fiona Cameron (Carseldine, QLD)
Lisa Ellick (Kelso, NSW)
Susan Goodwin (Upper Coomera, QLD)
Sheridan Gorman (Cromer, NSW)
Naomi Harberger (North Mackay, QLD)
Reita Holmes (Kambah, ACT)
Renae Holmes (Camp Hill, QLD)
Chantal Knowles (Glenmore Park, NSW)
Peta MacKinnon (Duffy, ACT)
Amanda Meech (Waterloo, NSW)
Bel Morrison (Mount Coolum, QLD)
Lynette Watson (Dunlop, ACT)

The Masters World Cup runs 28 March - 10 April 2016 in Canberra.

Hockey Australia media release

SOJC: In them we trust

By Jugjet Singh

Completed their training in Taman Daya

THE national juniors have one week to sharpen themselves up before they do battle in the Fifth Edition of the Sultan of Johor Cup at the Taman Daya Stadium in Johor Baru.

The only Under-21 Invitational sanctioned by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) will see Malaysia go up against back-to-back champions India, Pakistan, Australia, Argentina and Britain on October 11-18.

The juniors, who just returned to Kuala Lumpur from a training stint at Taman Daya, will play friendlies with the national senior squad on Oct 6 and 7, and will also host Britian to a warm up match on the Oct 9, before the final squad is named.

Juniors coach Arul Selvaraj will be banking on Shahril Saabah, Haziq Syamsul and Meor Azuan Hassan to deliver the goods as the trio have enough experience to lead the team.

Shahril has played in the World Cup, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games with the senior side even though he is only 21.

Haziq has seen action in the Commonwealth Games and 2013 Junior World Cup, while Meor has played in the Asian and Commonwealth Games.

“I never rely on individual players, but their combined experience is vital to stabilise the team,” concluded Arul.

And with the Junior Asia Cup slated on Nov 14-22 in Kuantan, Malaysia, India and Pakistan will be looking to get into gear as the tournament will offer four tickets to the Junior World Cup.

India have already booked themselves a spot in the Junior World Cup as the host nation and all Malaysia need to do in Kuantan is to qualify for the semi-finals to cement their spot in the world cup.

With that in mind, head Arul will be keeping his cards close to his chest during the SOJC, as rivals India and Pakistan will certainly be on the lookout for their strength and weakness.

“Unfortunately this is the only tournament I have to test the boys and I am well aware that India and Pakistan will be keeping a close eye on us, with that in mind I will not reveal much during the tournament but will ensure the boys give their best,” said Arul

Malaysia finished a disappointing fifth in the previous edition of the SOJC but are confident to walk away with a better result this time around.

“I am prepared to see some heavy legs; the boys have been working extremely hard in training and I think they will see good results in return,”

“We will take one game at a time. I am taking each game tactically, as I have plans on trying a few different tactics and we will build the team from there.

“My biggest concern is injuries. With the Asia Cup just around the corner I have to keep my fingers crossed and hope none of my players gets injured,” added Arul.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

Pakistan super motivated to win the Junior Asia Cup hockey meet

by S. Ramaguru

KUALA LUMPUR: Three-time champions Pakistan are serious about winning the Junior Asia Cup.

Pakistan, winners in 1988, 1992 and 1996, have decided to set up camp in Malaysia as they bid to regain the Under-21 crown.

They will be playing in the Sultan of Johor Cup in Johor Baru from Oct 11-18. And then they will stay back in Malaysia for their final phase of training for the Junior Asia Cup which will be held in Kuantan from Nov 14-22.

Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) secretary Shahbaz Ahmed said they would like to see the team regain the Junior Asia Cup title they last won in 1996.

“We believe the juniors are our future. We will give them the support as we bid to regain our status as the top team in Asia,” said Shahbaz.

The top four teams in Kuantan will qualify for the Junior World Cup Finals in India next year.

Pakistan hockey is in the doldrums. The three-time Olympic and four-time World Cup champions failed to qualify for next year’s Rio de Janeiro Olympics. They also failed to qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

Said Shahbaz: “Our goal is to develop the junior team and ensure that quality players make the grade to the senior team. The Junior Asia Cup is an important tournament step-up.

“It is better for the team to stay in Malaysia after the Sultan of Johor Cup. We will hold our final phase of training here. It will be more beneficial.”

Besides training, the Pakistanis are also expected to play a few friendlies against the Malaysian juniors and other Malaysia Hockey League clubs.

At the Sultan of Johor Cup, Pakistan will open their campaign against arch-rivals India on Oct 11.

The other teams in the fray are Malaysia, Australia, Britain and Argentina.

The Star of Malaysia

Women's Hockey League final postponed due to haze

by S. Ramaguru

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) have postponed the Women’s League final.

The final between SSTMI-Thunderbolt and KPM-PKS was scheduled to be played on Saturday at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil. But the MHC called off the match due to the haze.

MHC chief executive officer K. Logan Raj said: “The API (Air Pollutant Index) reading in Bukit Jalil was 279.17 at 11am today. We were informed by the National Sports Institute (ISN) and the Sports Ministry to cease all activities. We will set another date for the final.”

The Star of Malaysia

Leicester edge past Clifton

Rachel Mack scores for Leicester. Credit Andy Smith

Leicester edged to a thrilling 4-3 victory over Clifton in the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division on Saturday.

Goals from Lizzy Honarmand, Liz George and Rachel Mack had Leicester 3-0 up before Jessica Bloom and Claire Thomas reduced the arrears to 3-2 at the break.

Els Mansell equalised for Clifton early in the second half, but Holly Payne struck moments later for Leicester to deny the spirited visitors.

The University of Birmingham stay top after they won 2-1 at home to Holcombe, Hannah Martin and Holly Hunt getting the goals before Kim Leiper clawed one back.

Surbiton are into second after they edged out Canterbury 4-3, Sarah Haycroft scoring the vital goal late on after first half strikes from Jenna Woolven, Rebecca Herbert and Charlotte Calnan.

A Grace Balsdon brace and another goal from Mel Clewlow gave Canterbury hope late on but Surbiton held on to move to within a point of Birmingham.

Sally Walton got the only goal as Bowdon Hightown won for the first time this season, the goal coming shortly before half time as Buckingham remain winless on a single point.

Investec Conference North

Wakefield needed a last minute goal from Rosie Tootell to see off Whitley Bay and Tynemouth 2-1 and stay top of the Investec Conference North on Saturday.

Kerry-Anne Hastings looked to have a rescued a point for the hosts when she cancelled out Rosie Dent’s first half strike but Tootell’s last gasp goal was enough to maintain Wakefield’s perfect start to the season.

Loughborough Students stay second after they won 2-1 away at Springfields, and the University of Durham moved up into third with a 2-1 win at home to Beeston.

Belper were held 1-1 at home by Liverpool Sefton and Brooklands Poynton played out a goalless draw against Ben Rhydding.

Investec Conference West

Swansea City took Sutton Coldfield’s place at the top of the Investec Conference West table by beating them 2-1.

Goals from Sophie Clayton and Nat Blyth gave Swansea a two-goal lead and although Jennifer Parkinson-Mills pulled one back for Sutton Coldfield with a penalty stroke, they couldn’t draw level.

The University of Bristol continue to search for their first point as they lost 2-1 to Isca. Trojans took a narrow 1-0 win against Gloucester City, Bristol Firebrands drew 1-1 with Olton and West Warwicks and there was no score in the match between Oxford Hawks and Stourport.

Investec Conference East

Slough’s perfect start to the Investec Conference East season continued in spectacular form as Amy Sheehan’s hat-trick led them to an 8-2 win over Maidenhead.

Charly Brydon scored a brace and their other goals came through Jo Bryant, Philipa Newton and Louise Bevan. Maidenhead are still without a point.

Hampstead and Westminster remain second despite losing 2-1 to Chelmsford. Harleston Magpies and St Albans drew 0-0 and the game between Wimbledon and Cambridge City ended 1-1. Ipswich and Sevenoaks also drew 1-1.

Investec Women’s Hockey League (Saturday, October 3 2015):

Investec Women's Premier Division: Buckingham 0, Bowdon Hightown 1; University of Birmingham 2, Holcombe 0; Leicester 4, Clifton 3; Surbiton 4, Canterbury 3.

Investec Women's Conference East: Hampstead and Westminster 1, Chelmsford 2; Maidenhead 2, Slough 8; Harleston Magpies 0, St Albans 0; Wimbledon 1, Cambridge City 1; Ipswich 1, Sevenoaks 1.

Investec Women's Conference North: Brooklands Poynton 0, Ben Rhydding; Belper 1, Liverpool Sefton 1; University of Durham 2, Beeston 1; Whitley Bay and Tynemouth 1, Wakefield 2; Springfields 1, Loughborough Students 2.

Investec Women's Conference West: Bristol Firebrands 1, Olton and West Warwicks 1; Gloucester City 0, Trojans 1; Oxford Hawks 0, Stourport 0; University of Bristol 1, Isca 2; Sutton Coldfield 1, Swansea City 2.

England Hockey Board Media release

Men’s EY Hockey League – week two round-up

There were few home comforts on day two of the Irish men’s EY Hockey League with Banbridge, Cork C of I, Monkstown and Pembroke all recording away wins while Annadale drew with Three Rock Rovers.
Bann were the big winners, running up five second half goals in Sandymount in Dublin to beat Railway Union 6-1. After an initially close first half, separated only by Josh Moffett’s 29th minute goal, the Co Down side ran riot in the second half with Eugene Magee and Fraser Mills to the fore.
Magee netted once while Neil Gilmore, Stephen Dowds and Jamie Wright also filled their boots to claim a second win from two games this term. They are joined on that mark by Monkstown and Cork C of I who beat Lisnagarvey and Glenanne, respectively.
Town built an imposing 3-0 lead in their up-tempo tie with Davy Carson’s close range effort augmented by Gareth Watkins and a deft touch from Kyle Good. Garvey fought back with a pair of corner goals from Andy Williamson and Stevie Arbuthnot but Andrew Ward’s quick reply deflated that momentum.
James Lorimer’s penalty stroke was saved by David Fitzgerald to deny Garvey a grandstand finish and Good’s second goal killed off the game 5-2.
John Jermyn was the hero in Tallaght for C of I as they beat Glenanne 4-2, netting his second consecutive hat trick. He scored twice in the closing quarter from set pieces to settle a closely matched tie.
Eddie O’Malley and Philip Brownlow exchanged goals in the first seven minutes before Jermyn put Cork in front at 2-1. A spectacular Gary Shaw goal tied things up at half-time. But a penalty stroke and a corner drag-flick from Jermyn fired C of I to the victory.
Three Rock Rovers were seconds away from win number two for the campaign but were denied by Chris Jackson’s back post tip in to Peter McKibbin’s powerful ball in to earn Annadale a 1-1 draw. James Walker had given Rovers the lead in the third quarter as Dale let six corner chances slip them by but eventually got their reward.
Pembroke were 3-1 winners at Cookstown who were stung by the early red card for Stuart Smyth in the first quarter. By that stage, the visitors to Steelweld Park were 1-0 up thanks to Justin Sherriff’s goal.
Alan Sothern and Harry Spain extended the lead out to 3-0 before Mark Crooks’ wonder goal proved a mere consolation effort.
Men’s EY Hockey League: Railway Union 1 (M English) Banbridge 6 (N Gilmore 2, E Magee, J Moffett, S Dowds, J Wright); Glenanne 2 (E O’Malley, G Shaw) Cork C of I 4 (J Jermyn 3, P Brownlow); Lisnagarvey 2 (A Williamson, S Arbuthnot) Monkstown 5 (K Good 2, A Ward, G Watkins, D Carson); Annadale 1 (C Jackson) Three Rock Rovers 1 (J Walker); Cookstown 1 (M Crooks) Pembroke 3 (J Sherriff, A Sothern, H Spain)
Day Two extended reports
Railway Union 1 (M English) Banbridge 6 (N Gilmore 2, E Magee, J Moffett, S Dowds, J Wright)
Banbridge made it two wins from two in the EY Hockey League with a strong 6-1 victory on the road at Park Avenue, seeing off Railway Union to add to their opening day win over Annadale.
Railway featured Australian newcomer David Richardson for the first time while Ravin Nair was back in the line-up, too, after a summer stint in the southern hemisphere. And they fronted up well initially with the first quarter ending scoreless with Stephen Dowds flashing across the face of goal while the home side’s Mark English flicked at goal but saw his effort denied by a defensive stick.
English continued to provide the impetus for Railway while Simon McKeever won the first penalty corner for the hosts in the second quarter. But Bann soon found their rhythm with Eugene Magee and Peter Brown going close as goalkeeper Stephen O’Keeffe made a series of good saves, continuing his good form.
But his defences were breached when a drag-flick rebounded the way of Josh Moffett to break the deadlock in the 29th minute. One became two in the third quarter when Magee showed his international class, beating Kenny Carroll and Mathh Bretherton before finishing on his reverse.
Jamie Wright made it 3-0 from a sweeping move, kick-started by Hugh McShane for an imposing lead. English pulled one back from the penalty spot for 3-1 but Banbridge fired in another three goals without respsone in the final 15 minutes.
O’Keeffe made a couple more good saves amid an onslaught. Neil Gilmore deflected home a cross before the impressive Fraser Mills laid on a plate for Dowds for number five. Gilmore rounded off the scoring from more fantastic Magee work.
Bann handed a debut to 15-year-old goalkeeper Luke Roleston who stepped in for Gareth Lennox who was attending the birth of his second child.
Glenanne 2 (E O’Malley, G Shaw) Cork C of I 4 (J Jermyn 3, P Brownlow)
John Jermyn’s second successive hat trick saw Cork C of I land their second win in succession as he fired home a trio of set piece goals in an inspirational personal performance in Tallaght.
Indeed, his second and third goals broke a three-quarter time tie to snatch the win over Glenanne. A week earlier, he had also scored twice in the last quarter to see his side go from 1-1 to 4-1 against Cookstown, showing his value to the side from midfield.
The returning Eddie O’Malley popped home a fifth minute opening goal for the Glens off the back of good work from debutant Shannon Boucher, recently arrived from South Africa. The reply was instant from C of I as Stephen Sweetnam hit the right baseline before picking out Philip Brownlow for a sharp finish on the backhand.
Jermyn then whizzed home a corner to assert a 2-1 lead. Gary Shaw equalised with a stunning individual effort, meandering from left to right before a sharp turn into the circle preluded a cracking shot from the top of the circle to the left corner, making it 2-2 at half-time. Jermyn cracked the outside of the post off the back of an excellent run through the middle as part of an irresistible showing.
The third quarter flowed from end to end with both sides having their chances but the game hinged on a final quarter penalty stroke. Philip Sweetnam’s run down the left created the danger and he was deemed to have been taken out by goalkeeper Lukasz Domachowski though the home bench argued he saved cleanly before the striker collided with him.
Jermyn held his nerve and flicked in from the spot. Soon after, he fired home the insurance goal from another penalty corner to close out the win, making it six goals in two games.
Lisnagarvey 2 (A Williamson, S Arbuthnot) Monkstown 5 (K Good 2, A Ward, G Watkins, D Carson)
Monkstown held off a third quarter comeback to record their second win of the season, beating Lisnagarvey at Comber Road in thrilling fashion, 5-2, in a match laden with international talent.
Indeed, it was action-packed from the start with Garvey winning two penalty corners in the first two minutes. From the second, Monkstown countered and took the lead when Davy Carson was on hand to touch home at the back post after John Tormey’s initial fine save.
Garvey were further stung by a facial injury to Richard Arneill that forced him off and they fell 3-0 down by the 25th minute. Peter Caruth created the second from the baseline, lifting the ball to Gareth Watkins to tap home. Richard Sykes’ crash ball then got the faintest of touches from Kyle Good for an imposing 3-0 advantage.
The hosts got a lifeline with 20 minutes to go when Andy Williamson deflected in a corner routine goal and Lisnagarvey were right back in the mix three minutes later. Neal Glassey’s run provided the impetus to win another set piece which, while not the smoothest in its conception, fell to Stevie Arbuthnot who swept home.
But the resurgence was cut short when Andrew Ward volleyed home at head height – making use of the new rules on playing the ball overhead – from a cross for a brilliant fourth for Monkstown.
James Lorimer saw a penalty stroke denied by Town keeper David Fitzgerald as Garvey threw everything forward in the closing quarter but Good sealed the deal on the counter with a clinical finish.
Annadale 1 (C Jackson) Three Rock Rovers 1 (J Walker)
Chris Jackson’s late equaliser earned Annadale their first point of the EY Hockey League campaign, denying Three Rock Rovers a second win of the fledgling campaign.
From an early corner, Luke Madeley saw a drag-flick well saved by post man Peter McKibbin while Robbie McGuire looked lively for Dale at the far end with both goalkeepers – the host’s Jonny Moore and Rovers’ Jamie Carr – making good saves.
The experienced Alan Bothwell and Garry Ringwood stood tall for Rovers in the second quarter to keep the scoreboard blank through to the half-time interval as Annadale made more of the play but clear chances proved at a premium.
And the Carryduff side continued that momentum into the second half as their corner count mounted – they ended up with six, none of which were converted.
On the counter, Three Rock nicked a set piece of their own which Moore initially saved but James Walker snatched the ball and spun into space before finishing for 1-0.
Another pair of corners were sent wide by Jackson in the final quarter but he made up for this in the 59th minute when he got on the end of an excellent McKibbin pass to the left post for the share of the spoils.
Cookstown 1 (M Crooks) Pembroke 3 (J Sherriff, A Sothern, H Spain)
Pembroke got off the mark in the EY Hockey League as they saw off 10-man Cookstown at Steelweld Park who played over 45 minutes down a player due to Stuart Smyth’s early red card.
His side were already a goal down as Justin Sherriff’s strong low reverse-shot from stolen possession gave Pembroke an early lead. And the early frustrations were compounded for the Co Tyrone side. Paul Thompson rode a few tackles before laying the ball to Smyth who penetrated the circle where he collided with goalkeeper Mark Ingram. Amid the subsequent tussle, Smyth faced off with Karl Lynch and was shown a red for his reactions.
It allowed Pembroke to push on higher. Alan Sothern was proving the key instigator in their attacks and he drew a smart save from Ian Hughes while a Jason Lynch swipe also drew a stop from the big keeper.
The pressure eventually told when Sothern got his goal when he smashed home a reverse after a superb pass from Ronan Flannery to put the Irish international in space at the top of the circle.
Sothern missed out on a second when Patrick Good squared for him but he fired over from close range. Keith Black took a yellow for a collision with Jason Lynch, leaving Cookstown down to nine players and Pembroke piled forward.
Harry Spain made it 3-0 in the 40th minute from a penalty corner which was initially not stopped but was reworked and the defender pumped home low to the corner.
Cookstown skipper Mark Crooks got one back in breathtaking fashion, picking up play far on the right. Crooks spun around the last defender before unleashing a rocket of a shot to the top of the net from an acute angle.
His side were level on playing numbers when Andrew Shekleton was yellow carded for Pembroke. Cookstown won a corner through Andrew McWhirter which, if converted, would have made for a grandstand finish. It was tipped wide, though, and Pembroke duly closed out the remaining time by winning a couple more corners among other chances but no further goals accrued.

Irish Hockey Association media release

Strathmore 11-0 MKU: You can rub your eyes again and again...but the score-line stands


Strathmore Scorpions striker Gilly Okumu (left) drives the ball past Nerah Awuor of Mount Kenya University during their National women's league match at the City Park Stadium on October 3, 2015. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU |   NATION MEDIA GROUP

Gilly Okumu struck four times as Strathmore University’s Scorpions thrashed Mount Kenya University 11-0 in a Kenya Hockey Union (KHU) women’s national league match at City Park Stadium on Saturday.

The victory saw Scorpions, last season’s runners up, move into second place behind league leaders and champions Telkom Orange.

Winnie Ingati and Angela Mayaka each scored twice for the Scorpions while Laura Gichau, Yvonne Karanja and Lucy Wanjiku also got their names on the score sheet with a goal apiece for the impressive Scorpions.

Okumu, who is in the national team’s provisional team for this month’s 2016 Olympics qualifiers, justified her call up with two goals in the opening four minutes as Scorpions attacked from the onset.

The lanky striker capitalised on poor defensive play from MKU to fire past keeper Shirley Liavuli in the third minute before adding the second a minute later after finishing a sweeping Scorpions move.

It was 3-0 after 10 minutes when Gichau also scored through a field goal with MKU stunned. Okumu threatened the MKU defence and almost completed her hat-trick but was twice denied by Liavuli in close successions.

The Scorpions added one more goal before the break through winger Yvonne Karanja, who finished off skipper Carol Njoki’s penalty corner.


Buoyed by the first-half exploits, the Scorpions continued attacking with their opponents resorting to defensive duty. Ingati and Wanjiku added two more goals in the opening stages of the second half through penalty corners.

Okumu added her third and fourth goals to take her goal tally of the season to eight from eight games in before defender Mayaka completed the rout with a minute to the final whistle.

It was MKU’s second successive loss after their 10-1 capitulation in the hands of Sliders last weekend at the same venue and they remain bottom of the standings.

MKU team manager James Wang’ombe slammed his charges saying they were too naive and showed to much too much respect to the opponents.

“It was not a good display because we were too careless in possession and gave the ball too easily,” he said.

Four-goal star Okumu said she hopes this win will spur her team to the title.

“We started the season well but lost our momentum. We are now back to our best and this result proves it. We are still in the title race and we will keep pushing until the last match,” Okumu said.

Daily Nation

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author