Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News 17 March 2014

All the news for Monday 17 March 2013

Aussies on rampage as Malaysia snatch a point

Defending champions Australia not only continued their winning run but showed that they a class of their own after they outclassed Canada 6-0 at the Azlan Shah Stadium.

And hosts Malaysia came from two goals down to hold South Korea to a 2-2 draw, thus keeping alive their chances of making the final next Sunday.

The Koreans were on fire in the first half but withered under the humid conditions although it did rain in the later stages of the match.

But as they did against Canada in their opening match on Friday, Korea were at sea in the second half and Malaysia were a different proposition and took their chances to come out of the match with a crucial point.

Korea took the lead in the 10th minute via Oh Dae Kuen. And the same player was on target again five minutes before halftime as his neat deflection sailed into goal with the Malaysian defence caught napping.

But Malaysia pulled up their socks and managed to pull a goal back, though in rather fortunate circumstances.

malaysia were awarded a penalty in the 58th minute but it was mis trappedand the ball was played to youngster Shahril Saabah who twisted and turned before sending a reverse stick shot sailing into goal.

that lifted the spirit on the young Malaysians who started believing in themselves and deservingly got the equaliser with Faizal Saari sending a drag flick of a penalty corner sailing into goal in the 65th minute.

The Australians did not face such issues even though the team joined in the mourning of skipper Mark Knowles grief of losing his aunt by taking the pitch with black armbands as a mark of respect.

Glenn Simpson opened scoring in the 10th minute before Jeremy Hayward doubled the advantage by scoring in the 26th minute.

Nicholas Budgeon who notched a hattrick in the win over China, found the mark in the 35th minute for a halftime lead of 3-0.

Russel Ford made it 4-0 in the 46th minute before a brace by Jacob Whetton in the 53rd and 63rd minutes completed the rout.

Monday will be a big day as all six teams will be involved and Australia should continue to sit pretty as they are expected to get past South Africa.

Sultan Azlan Shah Cup site - Follow live commentary on Twitter @azlancup


AZLAN SHAH CUP: Malaysia fight back to snatch draw against South Korea

By Jugjet Singh

Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin Tengku Abdul Jalil (left) tussles with South Korea’s Hong Eun Seong in their Azlan Shah Cup match in Ipoh yesterday. Pic by Supian Ahmad

MALAYSIA came back from two goals down to hold Asian champions South Korea to a 2-2 draw in a dramatic Azlan Shah Cup match in Ipoh yesterday.

With seven players earning their first caps in this tournament, nobody would have expected Malaysia to hold an experienced Korean side but they did it with sheer determination, and great help from goalkeeper Hafizuddin Othman, who only earned his second cap yesterday, but was named as man-of-the match for his saves which kept Malaysia in the match until the second half fightback.

Malaysia started on an unfortunate note as skipper and most experienced defender on the field Azlan Misron went out for a nose bleed treatment, and the Koreans nailed the lead while he was out as Oh Dae Keun scored in the 10th minute.

Malaysia tried their best for the equaliser, but bungled at the final touch on numerous occasions while Azlan Shah Cup debutant goalkeeper Hafizuddin Othman, 22, brought out a handful of super saves to keep Malaysia in the match as the clock ticked towards the half-time.

However, with five more minutes to the half-time, Dae Keun bagged his brace when he connected home a cross and Malaysia went into the dressing with a mammoth task to salvage the game, as they only had one shot at goal and no penalty corner to show after 35 minutes.

The national players put up a brace front after the breather, but 50 minutes into the match, they still failed to find the break.

However, the fire was ignited in the 56th minute when Firtri Saari won Malaysia's first penalty corner. The corner was almost botched by poor stopping, but Shahril Saabah took it on his own accord to salvage it by scoring a reverse stick goal.

With 11 minutes remaining on the clock, the possibilities opened up for the young Malaysian side. And they won the second penalty corner in the 65th and Faizal Saari nailed the equaliser with a high flick, and shared the spoils with mighty Korea.

Malaysian coach K. Dharmaraj was pleased with his youth power: "When we went into the dressing room 0-2 down, I told them we have nothing to lose and to start playing an attacking game as we have young legs to run down the Koreans and it worked.

"Against Canada, we will also be looking for a win as now we have a better chance of playing in the final after holding Korea to a draw," said Dharmaraj.

Malaysia meet Canada today, and coach Anthony Farry said he was wary of the speedy Malaysians: "I was not around for the series (friendlies where Malaysian won 6-1, 5-1 and lost 5-4 to Canada in Malacca before the Azlan Shah Cup) but from what I have watched on video, they have great trapping skills and are very fast so I expect another tough match."

In another match, defending champions Australia cruised to a 6-0 victory over Canada to further consolidate their chances of lifting their eighth Azlan Shah Cup title since its inception in 1983.

The Aussie goals were scored by Glenn Simpson (10th), Jeremy Hayward (26th), Nicholas Budgeon (34th), Russlee Ford (46th), Jacob Whetton (53rd, 63rd).

New Straits Times

Malaysia fight back to hold Koreans to a draw

By Aftar Singh

Faizal Saari (second left) being congratulated by his team-mates after scoring the equaliser against South Korea during their Sultan Azlan Shah Cup match in Ipoh. The match ended in a 2-2 draw. - SAIFUL BAHRI / The Star
IPOH: Malaysia turned in a magnificent second-half performance to come back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Asia Cup champions South Korea in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament.

A minute of silence was observed by both teams at the Azlan Shah Stadium before the start of the match on Sunday, as respect for the passengers and crew of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, which vanished on March 8.

The Koreans were quick off the mark with striker Oh Dae-keun netting a brace in the 10th and 30th minutes.

Forward Mohd Shahril Saabah, who earned his second international cap, converted a penalty corner in the 58th minute. Faizal Saari, who scored the winning goal against South Africa on Thursday, equalised in the 65th minute off another penalty corner.

Malaysia, who wasted 11 penalty corners against South Africa on Thursday, did well to score from two of the three awarded against the Koreans.

With the draw, Malaysia kept alive their hopes for a place in the final after garnering four points from a win and a draw.

The Koreans, who lost to Malaysia 3-2 in the same tournament last year, also have four points from two matches.

While the Koreans started off aggressively, the homesters got off to a jittery start and hardly earned a single penalty corner in the first half.

And when skipper and defender Azlan Misron received a hit on his nose during a tackle in the eighth minute, the game turned around.

While Azlan, who plays as the last man, was getting treatment off the field, the Koreans took advantage to take the lead two minutes later.

Jung Man-jae collected a ball from the top D before making a through pass to Dae-keun, who easily tucked the ball past goalkeeper Mohd Hafizuddin Othman.

Two minutes later, the Koreans squandered their first penalty corner, only to get another penalty corner in the 17th minute. This time, Hafizuddin did well to stop the flick from Jang Jong-hyun.

Seasoned forward Tengku Ahmad Tajudin had a golden chance to equalise from close range in the 24th minute but his hit went wide.

The Koreans increased their lead in the 30th minute thanks to poor defending by the Malaysian backline.

Dae-keun was the toast of the Koreans, deflecting the ball into the goal off a free hit by Kim Seong-kyu from outside the semi-circle.

It was a revitalised Malaysian team after the breather as the strikers surged forward with the aim of reducing the deficit.

And their hard work was rewarded with a penalty corner in the 58th minute and striker Shahril beat a defender before scoring a reverse-stick goal.

Malaysia earned another penalty corner in the 65th minute and Faizal made no mistake from the top D.

The homesters went on to earn another penalty corner in the dying minutes but Faizal’s flick went wide.

Goalkeeper Hafizuddin, who earned his second international cap, was named Man of the Match after making a number of commendable saves.

Chief coach K. Dharmaraj praised his players for coming back from two goals down to snatch a point against the Koreans.

“We had six new players in the team and they did well against the experienced Koreans. Our strategy of playing cautiously in the first half and going all out after the breather paid off,” said Dharmaraj, who is looking forward to a win against Canada on Monday.

The Star of Malaysia

Aussies thump Canada for six

By Aftar Singh

Canada’s Gordon Jonston (left) and Australia’s Eddie Ockenden tussling for the ball during Sultan Azlan Shah Cup match in Ipoh. Australia won 6-0. - SAIFUL BAHRI / The Star
IPOH: Defending champions Australia continued their impressive hockey display to outplay Canada 6-0 and register their second consecutive win in the 23rd edition of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup.

It was the second straight defeat for Canada, who were beaten 0-3 by South Korea on Friday. The Canadians have yet to score a goal in two matches.

The Australian players wore a black arm band out of respect for their captain Mark Knowles whose aunt died on Saturday.

World champions Australia, who trounced China 7-0 in their first match on Thursday, started off well by taking the lead in the 10th minute.

Glenn Simpson collected a pass from Russell Ford and slammed in the ball, which touched goalkeeper Antoni Kindler’s pads before hitting the net.

The Kookaburras, who are gunning for their eighth title, continued to pile on the pressure but had to wait until the 26th minute to increase their lead off a second penalty corner.

Jeremy Hayward’s high flick sailed past keeper Kindler and into the back of the net.

Nicholas Budgeon, who scored a hat-trick against China on Thursday, made it 3-0 in the 35th minute from the top D. It was his fourth goal in two matches.

After the breather, the Aussies added another three goals through Ford in the 46th minute and Jacob Whetton’s brace (53rd and 63rd).

Australian coach Ric Charlesworth was not smiling despite an impressive win.

“We missed a number of chances and should have won with a bigger margin.

“It was a tough match as the Canadians played with determination,” said Charlesworth, who was also unhappy that they play their next match against South Africa in less than 24 hours.

Canadian coach Anthony Farry admitted that the Australians were just too strong.

“We need to play against them more often,” said Farry, who is expecting another torrid time against hosts Malaysia on Monday.

“They are a fantastic team and we will face another tough match,” said Farry.

The Star of Malaysia

Whetton double trouble

Queenslander Jake Whetton scores twice as Kookaburras beat Canada

Photo credit: Sportsmediagroup.com.au

Two goals from Queenslander Jake Whetton and a first international strike by Northern Territory youngster Jeremy Hayward paved the way for the Kookaburras’ 6-0 victory over Canada at the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Ipoh on Sunday evening.

Australian national coach Ric Charlesworth said afterwards, “It was another solid performance. We made a lot of chances tonight. While we didn’t finish as many as we might have liked their goalkeepers played well and we hit the post and crossbar four or five times.”

Western Australian Trent Mitton made his 50th appearance for Australia in the match and it was he who set up Glenn Simpson to give the Kookaburras an early lead with a swept shot that deflected into the roof of the net. The goal was the Victorian’s 20th strike for his country in his 101st appearance.

Australia came agonisingly close on several occasions following Simpson’s opener but it took a powerful penalty corner flick high into the far top corner from Hayward to double the Kookaburras’ lead. Having only made his debut on Thursday evening the 21 year old came close to doubling his personal tally moments later but could only watch as his stretched shot cannoned back off the post and away.

The Kookaburras, however, did make it 3-0 before the break as Nick Budgeon, the team’s hat-trick hero from the opening match, strolled into the circle before picking his spot and calmly slotting home.

At times in the second half the Canadian goal lived something of a charmed life with Liam De Young and Jamie Dwyer hitting the post either side of a Dwyer effort that flew off the crossbar.

But Australian pressure finally paid off when Russell Ford made it 4-0 in the 46th minute. Ford was on hand to fire home after Trent Mitton had seen his shot saved and De Young’s effort had rebounded off the frame of the goal and into the path of the Victorian forward.

Jake Whetton soon had the crowd on its feet with an outstanding goal to rival the pinpoint ferocity of Hayward’s earlier effort. Standing less than one metre off the base line Whetton unleashed a tomahawk that flew inside the far post to put the Kookaburras 5-0 up. The strike was his 20th for Australia and he followed up with his 21st goal ten minutes later, reacting quickest to a rebound from the Canadian goalkeeper after good work by Glenn Simpson.

One note of concern for the Kookaburras came after Matt Gohdes was hit on the foot. The Rockhampton-born midfielder was kept on the sidelines in the second half and will now be assessed by team medical staff.

Having experienced the rarity of a full two days’ break between tournament matches, Charlesworth added, “We trained hard [during the off days]. We’ve got to work on our fitness so we’re working hard on pushing ourselves throughout the tournament.”

The result maintains the Kookaburras’ 100% record and keeps them top of the standings after two matches. Australia’s men play South Africa on Monday at 7:00pm AEDT / 4pm AWST. The match is live on Eurosport Australia.

Ipoh, Malaysia
Match 2

Glenn Simpson 10 (F)
Jeremy Hayward 26 (PC)
Nick Budgeon 35 (F)
Russell Ford 46 (F)
Jake Whetton 53, 63 (F, F)

CANADA: 0 (0)

Hockey Australia media release

Canada with 6-0 Loss to World #1 in Malaysia

Taylor Curran Earns 50th International Cap versus Australia

Celia Plottel

Australia, #1 in the world and peaking for the World Cup, was set to play Canada on a muggy Sunday night in front of a loud and enthusiastic crowd.  There has been no rain in Malaysia for 2 months and Ipoh has been suffering from a drought.  The rain finally came today and there were light sprinkles falling under cloudy skies at game time. 

Canada was dressed in all red and Australia yellow shirts and green shorts.  Canada started the game excited and nervous but they were able to keep their composure.   Canada used the aerial ball successfully against the very good technical skilled Australians.  The game was played back and forth in the early minutes of the game with a circle penetration by the Canadians in the 5th minute and a shot on net high by the Australians in the 7th minute.

Australia scored in the 10th minute by a cross circle pass.   The Canadian defence held strong to keep the ball out of the net.  In the 20th minute a breakdown in play at the mid mark led to a breakaway down the left flank by Keegan Pereira.  He had an excellent opportunity to tie the score but the shot was sent high over the net.  A corner in the 25thminute by Australia was run down by Mark Pearson but in the ensuing PC a goal was scored.  Several key saves by goalie Antoni Kindler in the next few minutes  kept the score line at 2-0.  In the last minute of the 1st half Australia went up 3-0 on a field goal.

The second half started well for the Canadians with some good possession at the back. The Australians scored a couple of more goals in the 40th and 53rd minutes.  Matt Guest earned the Canadians 2 penalty corners near the end of the game and a third was awarded but none were converted.  Australia scored their 6th goal in the 63rd minute and the game ended 6-0.

Congratulations to Taylor Curran who earned his 50th cap tonight.  Taylor played his first game for Canada in 2009 while the team was on tour in Russia. 

Coach Farry said of the game that “It was a fantastic experience to play against the number one ranked team in the world and we need to do this more often.  Playing games like this really fast tracks our learning.  Our players benefited by competing up close with the best in the world.  We are looking forward to playing our host nation, Malaysia, tomorrow.  The fans in the stadium are sure to noisy and boisterous”.

Next up for the Canadians is a game against Malaysia under the lights at 8:00pm March 17th.

Field Hockey Canada media release

Canada Women Finish Strong in Pennsylvania

Sourisseau Earns 50th International Cap

The final game of the women's four test clash turned out to be the best game of the series, with the crowd given a great attacking spectacle of modern hockey.

Both teams went toe to toe for the entire 70 minutes, with the USA coming out the clear victor with only seconds to spare.

"It was an impressive display for our young team, and I was impressed by our continual growth and progress from the first to the last match,” commented Coach Ian Rutledge.

Rutledge continued, "Despite the result, the players can leave Lancaster pleased with their continual improvement which culminated in one of our best performances to date."

The defensive intensity and speedy counter attack of both teams, ensured that the full house was treated to an excellent match.

"We have been making progress on our attacking structure all week and today it was great to see that it came to life and we generated enough chances to win the match.", said Rutledge.

The game hung the balance until the 61st minute, when the USA scored a field goal against the run of play, countering the Canadians who were pushing for the win.

Not to be deterred, the young Canadians pushed forward pressuring the experienced USA team, in search for the equalizer. A controversial call four minutes from the end, lead to a penalty corner that was well executed by the USA, taking the tension out of the match.

The USA would add one more goal, going coast to coast on the counter, as the clock died down, as the Canadians fought to halve the deficit.

"Today I was impressed by our teams desire to fight to the end. Even after the second goal, they searched and fought for the result. In those circumstances, it would have been easy to throw in the towel, but the girls kept fighting; showed great resilience and attacked for the result. This attitude and approach is becoming a habit and is going to serve us well over time" added Rutledge.

Commenting on the Series, Rutledge noted that playing the strong and experienced USA team was an ideal opponent to prepare the team for the rigors ahead in 2014 - "The USA are a clinical opponent. If you make mistakes you know about it on the scoreboard. I was impressed that we made progress in our own game as the series went on. While the results did not come, the performances will serve us well for the path ahead".

The team, now takes a well earned week long break, before starting their preparation for the tour to England in late April and the climb to Glasgow in July.

Of significance, this match saw young midfield dynamo, Natalie Sourisseau achieved her 50th cap, an impressive achievement for a 21 year old.

Field Hockey Canada media release

PAHF Indoor CanAM Series in Toronto Review

Canada's Quest for Indoor World Cup Berth

Carla Johl

Day 1 Recap:

The Canadian men and women’s indoor national teams took on the USA, Saturday March 15th, in the first of a three game international series at the University of Toronto Athletic Center Sports Gym.

The USA came away with the first win of the series defeating the Canadian women 5-1.

Susan Ciufo put the Americans on the board early scoring the first goal of the match in the 4th minute. However, it was thirteen-year old Erin Matson who dominated the US offense putting away their next four goals.

Chelcie Mendonca was Canada’s lone goal scorer, recording her first international goal and first international cap.

The tables were turned in the afternoon when the Canadian women secured a 4-3 win over the US in their second match up of the series. Alison Lee opened up the scoring two minutes into play while Kyesia O’Neale and captain Kristen Shier followed with two goals of their own to go into half time up 3-0.

Amanda Woodcroft started the second half with a goal at the 21st minute but the Americans came fighting back. Matson notched two more goals to bring her series total to six, while teammate Alexa Hoover netted her first goal of the series. The Canadians managed to protect their one goal lead and came away with the win.

In the men’s competition, the Canadian’s defeated the US 6-2 in their first game of the day. The Americans came out firing with Ajai Dhadwal netting one in the first minute of play. However it was then all Canada from there. Veteran Ken Pereira lead the Canadians tallying three goals. Sean Barretto, Jonathan Roberts and Scott Sandison netted a goal each for the Canadians while William Holt added one more for the US.

Canada continued to dominate when the two teams faced off again, Saturday afternoon, topping the US 6-1. Roberts and Pereira kickstarted the scoring both netting goals with in the first three minutes of play. Gaganpal Dhanju and teammate Devohn Teixeira brought the Canadian’s total to four heading into halftime.

The US were first off the mark in the second half when Jaja Kentwell got one past Canadian goal keeper Shankar Premakanthan. However, Micah Teixeira added one more goal to seal the win for Canada.

The Canadian and US women have secured a game each and will head into the final match, and decider, on Sunday, March 16. Game is set for 8.45 a.m. Canada’s men have a two game lead over the US heading into tomorrows final game. The men are set to start at 10:05 a.m.

Day 2 Recap:

The Canadian men and women’s indoor national teams took on the USA, Sunday March 16th, in the final matches of the three game CAN AM series at the University of Toronto Athletic Center Sports Gym.

The women took to the court first in their series decider, each with a win under their belts. But it was the USA that came out on top defeating Canada 4-3 in a close encounter.

Erin Matson started the ball rolling for the US, scoring in the first minute of play. Captain Rachael Milne followed suit scoring two minutes later. Canada finally made their reply with a penalty corner goal from Kristen Shier. Alexa Hoover notched the Americans third goal before Jocelyn Mitchell gave Canada their second. The US lead 3-2 at the half.

The second half was tightly fought with neither team willing to give up the game. Hoover tallied her second goal of the game in the 47th minute. Canada then loaded on the pressure and Alison Lee netted one in the closing minutes. However it was not enough to surpass the US.

Matson was the series top goal scorer recording seven goals in three games.

In the men’s game, Canada closed out the series with their third win, defeating the US 4-1. Jeewanjoth Bath opened the scoring for Canada in the third minute of play. Michael Barminski of the US was quick to reply, netting a goal of his own two minutes later. The Canadian’s pushed on with Sean Barretto, Bath and Jonathan Roberts adding to the teams tally and Canada lead 4-1 at the half.

The teams battled closely in the second half but with neither team finding the net. The game remained at 4-1 till the final whistle.

Roberts was the men’s top goal scorer notching three goals over the weekend.

Both Canada and the USA will head to Uruguay in April to compete in the Pan Am Cup. The winner of the tournament will earn a berth into the World Cup.

Field Hockey Canada media release

Sheffield Hallam give Canterbury a Scare

Sheffield Hallam v Surbiton

Sheffield Hallam’s survival hopes took a huge blow as they let victory slip through their fingers in the NOW: Pensions Men’s Hockey League Premier Division on Sunday.

They were 2-0 up against Canterbury courtesy of goals from Liam Ansell and Tom Sorsby but their opponents came back to win 4-3. Harry Roberts pulled one back before Ben Allberry notched a brace and Mickel Pierre hit the winner.

The defeat leaves the Yorkshire side bottom – three points from safety and with an inferior goal difference to Cannock and Loughborough Students. If they can win their remaining game, they could force their way into relegation play-offs if Loughborough slip up.

Loughborough needed to beat Beeston to lift themselves out of the relegation zone but it was too big a task and they lost 4-1. Sam Ward, Adam Dixon, James Blackwell and Ben Arnold were on target for Beeston.

East Grinstead stay top of the league on goal difference after goals from Ashley Jackson, Mark Pearn, Mark Gleghorne and Luke Taylor saw them beat Reading 4-3.

Elsewhere, a Richard Hildreth double helped Hampstead and Westminster to a 3-2 victory over Wimbledon.

Cannock went down fighting against Surbiton on Saturday. Surbiton, who have already sewn up the final play-off spot, beat them 6-4 with four goals from Matt Daly.

It wasn’t all bad for Cannock this weekend though - they beat Sevenoaks 4-1 to book their spot in the NOW: Pensions Men’s Cup final.

Cannock will face NOW: Pensions Conference North champions Brooklands Manchester University in the final after they beat Old Loughtonians 5-4 in the other semi final. Peter Flanagan was their hero, scoring a hat-trick.

Barry Middleton, Danny Hall and Gareth Andrew all scored twice as Holcombe beat St Albans 7-0. The win keeps them in the hunt for the NOW: Pensions Conference East title although they need Southgate to lose to Bromley and Beckenham.

Brooklands Manchester University made sure of top spot in the NOW: Pensions Conference North by beating second-placed Bowdon 3-2 on Saturday. Cup hero Peter Flanagan scored the winning goal with a minute remaining.

Cardiff need to win their last game to hold off Team Bath Buccaneers at the top of the NOW: Pensions Conference West. They stayed on track with a 2-0 win over Isca with Robin Lovegrove and Rhys Gowman finding the net.

League Finals Weekend

The winners of the NOW: Pensions Men’s Hockey League and the Investec Women’s Hockey League will be crowned over two action-packed weekends at Reading Hockey Club in April. The top four Premier Division teams qualify for their respective finals weekends, playing off against each other to be crowned league champions.

The men’s finals will take place on the 5-6 April while the women will battle it out a week later from 12-13 April. Tickets are now available to purchase for both weekends, please visit www.englandhockey.co.uk/tickets

NOW: Pensions Men’s Hockey League (Saturday, March 15 2014):

NOW: Pensions Premier Division: Cannock 4, Surbiton 6.

NOW: Pensions Men's Conference East: Teddington 7, Oxted 3; Southgate 5, Old Loughtonians 0; Holcombe 7, St Albans 0.

NOW: Pensions Men's Conference North: Brooklands Manchester University 3, Bowdon 2.

NOW: Pensions Men’s Hockey League (Sunday, March 9 2014):

NOW: Pensions Premier Division: Sheffield Hallam 3, Canterbury 4; East Grinstead 4, Reading 3; Hampstead and Westminster 3, Wimbledon 2; Loughborough Students 1, Beeston 4.

NOW: Pensions Men's Conference East: Cambridge City 7, Richmond 1; Brighton and Hove 4, Bromley and Beckenham 1.

NOW: Pensions Men's Conference North: University of Durham 2, Deeside Ramblers 3; Olton and West Warwickshire 4, West Bridgford 3; Wakefield 2, Belper 4; Khalsa 0, Leek 0.

NOW: Pensions Men's Conference West: Guildford 1, Indian Gymkhana 1; University of Exeter 5, Havant 3; Cardiff and Met 2, Isca 0; Cheltenham 0, Team Bath Buccaneers 3; Fareham 1, University of Birmingham 2.

England Hockey Board Media release

Uttar Pradesh, Railways enter national hockey semis

LUCKNOW: Hosts Uttar Pradesh and Railways proved their mettle to enter the semifinals of the National Hockey Championship (Division A) on Sunday.

Uttar Pradesh recorded their fourth consecutive win defeating Bhopal 6-1 in Pool C. Diwakar Ram's goal scoring spree started in the fifth minute followed by his second (18th minute). He ended by scoring the last goal of the match (63rd). Bhopal's Nadeemuddin managed to sneak in a goal (51st).

In Pool A, Air India dominated and registered a 3-0 win over Chandigarh. A successful penalty corner conversion by captain Probodh Tirkey (30th) gave Air India the edge. Armaan Qureshi (60th) and Vinod Vishnu (62nd) took it further ahead by scoring a field goal each.

In another Pool C match, Karnataka defeated Jharkhand 7-2. With no goals in the first half, the tables turned in favour of Karnataka in the second half. Karnataka's Pradhan Somana P. was the only player to stroke in two goals (42nd, 58th) and Biju B.Y. (41st), captain Mudappa M.K. (43rd) among others scored one each.

Jharkhand showed some life towards the end when Chandan Aind (63rd) and Prakash Kerketta (68th) sneaked one each but the comeback timing was a bit too late.

Haryana drew a Pool D match 2-2 with and Railways. Railways took a 1-0 lead through Belsajar Horo (14th) but Haryana's Shivdeep (38th) and Damandeep (46th) stroked in one each to take the lead. However, Vinod Kumar Singh of Railways equalised (56th) to carve his team's way to the semis.

In Pool B, Comptroller & Auditor General Of India (CAG) thrashed Manipur 8-1. Deepanshu Bhargav, Siddharth Shanker and captain Mahendra Kumawat scored three for CAG in the first half.

The second half saw another goal from Kumawat (37th) and another two goals by Shanker (47th, 52nd). Manipur captain Jayenta Meitei managed to put in one (45th).

In the last match of the day, Sports Authority of India (SAI) beat 2-1 with Madhya Pradesh. At halftime the score was tied at 1-1. It could have been anyone's game in the second half but both teams failed to convert their chances. But Manish Bishnoi's (52nd) goal gave SAI the win.


Pool C: Uttar Pradesh 6 beat Bhopal 1; Karnataka 7 beat Jharkhand 2

Pool A: Air India 3 beat Chandigarh 0

Pool D: Haryana 2 drew Railways 2

Pool B: CAG 8 beat Manipur 1; SAI 2 beat Madhya Pradesh 1

The Times of India

Delhi enter semifinals of Sr Women National Championship

BHOPAL: Delhi got the better of Rajasthan 4-0 in a Pool D match to secure their third consecutive win and enter the semifinals of the 4th Hockey India Senior Women National Championship 2014 (Division B).

Delhi pocketed their first goal in the 33rd minute through a field goal by Ruby Khod to go into the half time with a 1-0 lead.

In the second half, Delhi picked up the pace and stroked in three more goals. Sunita Rani converted a penalty corner in the 45th minute, while captain Teena scored a field goal in the 52nd minute.

Ruby Khod scored her second goal of the match when she netted the ball in the 67th minute.

Besides Delhi, three other semifinalists are Assam Hockey, Hockey Unit Of Tamil Nadu and Hockey Himachal Pradesh.

Meanwhile, in another Pool D match, Hockey Gujarat beat Hockey Puducherry 2-0.

For Gujarat Trushna Maheshwari and captain Meghna Pawar scored the goals.


Pool D - Hockey Delhi 4 Ruby Khod (33rd, 67th min), Sunita Rani (45th) and Teena (52nd) vs Hockey Rajasthan 0.

Pool D - Hockey Gujarat 2 Trushna Maheshwari (49th) and Meghna Pawar (57th) vs Hockey Puducherry 0.

The Times of India

Another massive loss for BHA in women`s junior hockey

Mysore: Bengal Hockey Association (BHA) suffered its second consecutive massive defeat in the 4th Hockey India Junior Women`s National Championship (Division A) going down 0-9 to Hockey Maharashtra (HM) in a pool C match here Sunday.

A day after their 0-19 loss to Jharkhand, BHA were hapless against a dominant HM, who kept the dominance in the match throughout.

HM captain Aishwarya Chavan scored the first two goals in the seventh and the 26th minute. The next two goals came from Alakananda Bagade and Pooja Bhoyar in the 34th and 35th minute as HM went into the break with a 4-0 lead.

The maintained the tempo in the second half as well pumping in five more. Alakananda got her hat-trick in the 37th minute and Pooja Bhoyar struck one in the 64th minute. Sneha Lagali (41st), Pratiksha Harne (57th) and Puja Shinde (66th) completed the scoreline.

In another pool c match, Uttar Pradesh Hockey and Hockey Jharkhand put up a stunning show and displayed fantastic skills and technique in a 2-2 draw. After a goalless first half, the two teams turned up the heat in the second half. Uttar Pradesh Hockey`s Chand Khan went out in full swing penetrated two goals, one after the other in the 42nd and 59th minute of the game. Hockey Jharkhand`s Ranjeeta Minz and Kanti Pradhan returned the favour as they helped draw parity in the 62nd and 66th minute.

In the third match of the day, Sports Authority of India (SAI) trounced Hockey Rajasthan 10-0.

In another match played between Haryana and Hockey Unit Of Tamil Nadu of pool A, Haryana thrashed their opponents 14-0.

Pool C: Hockey Maharshtra 9 Aishwarya Chavan (7th and 26th min), Alakananda Bagade (34th and 37th min), Pooja Bhoyar (3th and 64th min), Sneha Lagali (41st min), Pratiksha Harne (57th min) and Puja Shinde (66th min) vs Bengal Hockey Association 0; Uttar Pradesh 2 Chand Khan (42nd and 59th min) vs Hockey Jharkhand 2 Ranjeeta Minz (62nd min) and Kanti Pradhan (66th min).

Pool A: Sports Authority Of India 10 Sonal Minj (13 min), Lakshmi Devi (15 min), Mamta (19, 61 and 63 min), Manisha (38, 39, 44 and 55 min) and Sangeeta Rose Kullu (26 min) vs Rajasthan 0; Hockey Haryana 14 Reet (10, 13, 25 and 46 min), Pooja Rani (34, 55 and 67 min), Jyoti gupta (8, 29 and 66 min), Neha Goyal (3 min), Hardeep Kaur (5 min), Nicky (26 min) and Narinder Kaur (61 min) vs Hockey Unit Of Tamil Nadu 0.

Indian Express

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author