Welcome to the Fieldhockey.com Archives

Daily Hockey news updated @ 10:00 GMT

News for 06 October 2019

All the news for Sunday 6 October 2019

Three Rock Rovers, Rot Weiss Koln, Royal Herakles and SV Kampong the winners in the KO16 today

©: EHL/Frank Uijlenbroek / World Sport Pics

Day 2 at the new look EHL saw 6 games of hockey with some new faces into the KO8 this year, notably Three Rock Rovers from Ireland who won their first-ever knock out game in EHL.

Match 5: KO16: Grange HC v Three Rock Rovers HC 0-5

Three Rock Rovers recorded a first-ever Irish win in a knock-out EHL game as their penalty corner efficiency proved too much for Scotland’s Grange.

The Dubliners looked the more composed side throughout and they went in front from the first corner of the game after seven minutes when Mark English found a foot.

Read more…

Match 6: Ranking: CA Montrouge v HGC 0-3

A solid performance from the Dutch side HGC over the French CA Montrouge in the first of the ranking matches here in Barcelona.

Read more…

Match 7: KO16: Rot Weiss Koln v Royal Beerschot HC 3-1

Rot Weiss Koln ground out a hard-earned win against Royal Beerschot to ensure a place in the KO8 tomorrow v Three Rock Rovers HC.

The first quarter was a really positive one for debutants Beerschot as they held the 2017 Champions, Rot Weiss Koln, to 0-0.

Read more…

Match 8: Ranking: St.Germain HC v Real Club de Polo

In the ranking game, Real Club de Polo picked themselves up after their disappointing game in the KO16 to put 5 past St.Germain in the ranking game at the Pau Negre Stadium today.

Read more…

Match 9: KO16: Royal Herakles HC v SV Arminen

Herakles simply love the EHL as their second EHL season can attest to as they overcame Arminen 10-0.

Herakles drew first blood in the game, a scramble in front of goal that was pounced on by Mattia Amoronsini in the 6th minute. A second in the 9th minute, a fabulous strike from Amaury Keusters getting on the end of a huge aerial ball. Diego Arana added another a minute later and Arminen had a mountain to climb after the first quarter.

Read more…

Match 10: KO16: SV Kampong v HC Minsk

SV Kampong delivered a hockey masterclass in their opening game of EHL KO16 game v HC Minsk.

Jip Janssen set the tone in the first minute converting a corner in the first minute. Kampong went ahead from Terrance Pieters and Bjorn Kellerman. Kellerman and Robbert Kemperman added one more each to bring the score to 5-0 at half time.

Read more…

Euro Hockey League media release

Five-star Rovers ease into KO8 in Euro Hockey League

Three Rock celebrate going 2-0 up. Pic: Frank Uijlenbroek / World Sport Pics

Three Rock Rovers recorded a first ever Irish win in a knock-out EHL game as their penalty corner efficiency proved too much for Scotland’s Grange.

It effectively puts them into the last 12 in Europe with a date on Sunday against either Germany’s Rot-Weiss Koln or Belgium’s Royal Beerschot.

The Dubliners looked the more composed side throughout and they went in front from the first corner of the game after seven minutes when Mark English found a foot.

Ben Johnson’s disguised drag-flick went into the path of Jody Hosking whose touch was half-stopped by David Forrester and looped in, just over the line before the defender could clear.

Grange struggled to get too much momentum but did have a big chance when Dan Coultas’s crash ball reached Andy Graham at the back post. He missed out, though, on a golden chance with the ball hitting his foot.

Rovers punished this miss with Sam Grace driving home a second corner goal in the 28th minute for 2-0 at half-time.

The Irish side then piled on the pressure in the early stages of the second half with a few waves of attacks. The third goal arrived from their fifth set piece, Hosking slapping to the right post for Ben Walker to guide in. His older brother James turned in the next from play after three volleys of shots.

Shane O’Brien did make his first save in the third quarter, a double block from a corner series but they were five behind when Ali Empey finished off from his side’s seventh corner.

16-year-old goalkeeper Ben Whelan came on for the final quarter and maintained the clean sheet with a strong block to a Coultas drag-flick, sending Rovers into this weekend’s KO8.

EHL KO16: Three Rock Rovers 5 (J Hosking, S Grace, B Walker, J Walker, A Empey) Grange 0

Three Rock Rovers: S O’Brien, H MacMahon, D Kane, A Haughton, J Kyriakides, R Canning, M Darling, B Walker, S Grace, H Morris, J Hosking
Subs: B Johnson, J Walker, M English, J McAlister, B McCrea, A Empey, B Whelan

Grange: D Forrester, R Shepherdson, A Graham, D Coultas, J McRae, J Tweedie, A Johnston, C Rusjnak, M McKenzie, D Riddell, J Nairn
Subs: W Shepherdson, J McCulskey, B Upton, J Croll, C Ede, C Lothian, D Gourlay

The Hook

Grange battled in Barcelona

By Phyllis Stephen

GRANGE’S dreams of being the first Scottish side to win a knockout game in Europe’s top men’s hockey club tournament hit the skids despite a battling performance in Barcelona.

Scotland’s Grand Slam champions from last season lost 5-0 in their EuroHockey League KO 16 tie after being 2-0 behind at half-time.

Martin Shepherdson, Grange’s team manager, said: “We made too many individual errors and put pressure on ourselves.”

In the men’s Premiership scorelines were Hillhead 3, Kelburne 3; Dundee Wanderers 2, Western Wildcats 8; Edinburgh University 3, Clydesdale 2; Grove Menzieshill 1, Watsonians 0.

GROVE Menzieshill moved two points clear of the chasing pack at the top of the men’s Premiership on Saturday.

They edged Edinburgh side Watsonians 1-0 on Tayside while Western Wildcats moved into second spot after demolishing newly-promoted Dundee Wanderers 8-2.

Inverleith moved into pole position in Division Two on goal difference from Dunfermline Carnegie after a 17-0 demolition of Aberdeen Grammer School FP in the North-East.

The Edinburgh Reporter

Pakistan Development Squad win hockey series 3-0 against Oman

The home side led all the four quarters of the play with commanding lead and continued its onslaughts to outsmart the touring side with ease and comfort


LAHORE - Pakistan Development Squad thrashed Oman hockey team 7-0 in the last match to win the four-match hockey series 3-0 here at Johar Town Hockey Stadium on Saturday.

Governor Punjab Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar was the chief guest on the occasion and witnessed the match with keen interest. Also present on the occasion were Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) Brig (R) Khalid Sajjad Khokhar, Secretary Asif Bajwa, former PHF Chief Akhtar Rasool Chaudhry, a number of former Olympians and international players and fans.

Pak team won the first match 7-0 as Oman managed a 4-4 draw in the second match to much surprise of their fancied opponents. The home team restored edge by winning the third tie 4-0.

Oman team, being coached by former Pakistan captain and Olympian, Tahir Zaman, is on a preparatory tour of Pakistan ahead of its participation in the Asia Confederation being played from October 14 in Bangladesh.

Pak Development Squad comprising a group of upcoming promising players dazzled with skillful hockey and proved a superior opponent. Oman team struggled to match the speedy moves of their ever attacking opponents though their team management made few changes to pump up energy and life in attacks but failed.

The home side led all the four quarters of the play with commanding lead and continued its onslaughts to outsmart the touring side with ease and comfort.

Drag flicker Amjad Ali Khan  crowed a hat trick to contribute lions share in teams success and Rizwan Ali, Sami ullah, Ali Aziz and Shan Irshad struck one goal apiece.

The green shirts converted their six goals on penalty corners, out of nine of the play, while one goal came in a field attack. Oman got two short corners of the play and wasted them with lifeless shooting.

Pakistan finished the first half with commanding 3-0 lead and were up 5-0 at the end of second session and made it 6-0 at the completion of third half of play. After the match, Governor Punjab Chaudhary Muhammad Sarwar gave away the prizes to the members and officials of Pakistan and Oman teams. PHF President Brig (R) Khalid Sajjad Khokhar presented a souvenir to Governor Punjab.

Governor Punjab said it is a good omen for the country’s sports that foreign teams have started visiting Pakistan. He the visit of the Oman hockey team is a step forward in the resumption of international hockey in Pakistan where security has improved a lot. “It is good to see Oman playing in Lahore where at the same time, Sri Lanka cricket team is also playing T20 matches and the visit of foreign teams will portray a soft image of Pakistan in the outer world besides motivating the other foreign teams to visit the country in near future,” he said. “Both Pakistan and Oman presented good hockey in todays match and we are delighted to host the Oman team in Lahore for a four match series. The visit of the Oman team will definitely be a big way of learning for them as Pakistan has a glittering past in hockey.”

The Nation

Fire Burn Tigers With Third-Quarter Thrust

The Adelaide Fire made it two wins from two matches with a comfortable 4-0 win away from home against the Tassie Tigers in Hobart, sending them temporarily top of the Sultana Bran Hockey One women’s ladder.

Round 2 of the new national league marked the first look at the Tassie Tigers franchise, who had a bye during round 1, and a healthy crowd at the Tasmanian Hockey Centre saw their new-look women’s side match it early against an impressive Fire outfit who knocked of NSW Pride in the opening round.

The Tigers were playing in memory of 18 year old Livina Sproule, who passed away late in the week. The young hockey player from a famous hockey family was a team-mate and friend to many in the Tigers line-up, and it was under those difficult circumstances Tassie came out hard in the opening minutes, creating several early attacking opportunities and earning the opening penalty corner of the match.

The teams shared moments of attack back and forth in a reasonably even first quarter. Caashia Karringten had the best of the attacking opportunities for the Tigers and almost set up Katerina Lacina on the spot with a brilliant cross in the 9th minute.

Tassie looked to step up their pressure early in the second quarter and again came close to the opening goal of the match in the 17th minute. Senior midfield trio Emily Donovan, Sarah McCambridge, and Hannah Richardson, all playing together for the first time since 2015, combined in a fluid attacking movement that started out of left half to create a shot for Richardson from the top of the circle. Her shot was half-blocked by the Fire defence and resulted in an easy save for goalkeeper Ash Wells.

The Fire went straight up the other end in the following play and created a brilliant opportunity on the spot, a deflected cross from Gabi Nance sitting nicely for Gemma McCaw to volley a shot on goal from mid-air. Only a lightning-fast right-glove save from goalkeeper Holly Bonde kept McCaw out of the net.

Bonde again came to the Tigers rescue in the 27th minute, saving low to her right from a Karri McMahon PC variation shot to send the sides into half-time locked at nil-all.

The half-time chat from Fire coach Melody Cooper had an immediate effect as Adelaide came out and were on the scoresheet within 90 seconds of the restart. A PC to the Fire gave an opportunity for McMahon, but her low and direct flick was again saved by Bonde. The rebound, however, went perfectly onto Miki Spano’s reverse, and she had no trouble putting away her shot from close range into an empty net to give Adelaide a 1-0 lead.

Just two minutes later the Fire doubled their score. Some brilliant interplay between Leah Welstead and Holly Evans through left-midfield created a dangerous circle entry, with the bouncing ball falling perfectly for Nance to finish on her reverse beyond the advancing Bonde. The Tigers ‘keeper got some form of revenge, though, saving Nance’s attempt at the extra conversion with a diving save to her right.

Tigers Captain Amelia Spence and McCambridge both created some attacking chances but the Adelaide defence, led by Jane Claxton, were able to hold them up every time. The Fire then crushed the remaining resistance with a third goal in the 42nd minute. Euleena MacLachlan sent an overhead out of left-back and Nance stole the drop from Nicole Geeves before setting off on an attack down the left wing, feeding McCaw who made a precise pass to the spot where Emma de Broughe finished with an upright strike into the bottom-left corner of the goals.

De Broughe sent her conversion attempt wide to give the Tigers a mini-reprieve on the scoreboard again, but the 0-3 deficit at three-quarter time siren had the home side needing something extra special in the final quarter to fight back.

Tassie went into attack mode almost immediately in the final 15. Within 30 seconds Donovan found Esmee Broekhuizen in the circle, with a spillage falling to Lacina who fired away a quick shot that was saved by Wells in the Fire net but rebounded into an Adelaide defender to give the Tigers their first PC of the match.

A variation on the PC to create a field goal opportunity that, if scored would have allowed for the Tigers to attempt a conversion and close the gap to one goal, failed when Broekhuizen’s entry landed on McCambridge’s foot.

Adelaide then sealed the points with 4 minutes left on the clock when Spano collected her second goal of the match, scrambling in a PC rebound on the post to complete a 4-0 win for the Fire and another win on the road.

They now sit on top of the ladder and go into their first match at home next week against the winless Brisbane Blaze full of confidence, while the Tigers will look to regroup ahead of a tough road trip to Sydney to play NSW Pride who will be looking to bounce back after losing their opening two matches of the competition.

Match Details
Tassie Tigers 0
Adelaide Fire 4 (Spano 2, Nance, De Broughe)

Sultana Bran Hockey One website

Sister Act Headlines Canberra Chill VS NSW Games

Morning storms cleared but a Chill was still in the air at the National Hockey Centre Lyneham for two big games – the Canberra Chill verse the NSW Pride. The Canberra Chill had six players making the debut in front of a home crowd.

The women’s game was close right from the first whistle. With five minutes to go in the first quarter Naomi Evans broke through and scored, following a brilliant pass by Chill defender Sophie Gaughan. Jocelyn Bartram recovered her composure well and saved Evans’ conversion opportunity. At the end of the second quarter Mikayla Evans scored a diving goal, but again Bartram was too strong and denied Evans’s conversion.

NSW Pride came out firing in the third quarter challenging the Chill penalty corner defence which eventually gave out and saw the Pride score. Just like Bartram, Sakiyo Asano was too strong for NSW goal scorer Morgan Blamey, saving her conversion opportunity.

The final quarter saw both teams create attacking opportunities, but both goal keepers were too good and the game finished up 2-1 to the Canberra Chill!

The men’s game was set to be exciting with several international representatives matching up against each other. Both the Chill and the Pride were able to keep the first quarter scoreless.

In the final minute of the second quarter NSW Pride opened the scoring with a field goal from Tom Craig. Canberra Chill and Kookaburra Goalkeeper Andrew Charter was able to deny Craig the opportunity of scoring his conversion.

The third quarter saw only one goal to Blake Govers off a penalty stroke. It was the fourth quarter where the NSW Pride unleashed the beast and finished the game with a scoring frenzy with goals to Kurt Lovett, Timothy Brand and Blake Govers. NSW Pride taking the win 7-0.

The Canberra Chill are off to Perth next weekend while the NSW Pride are back home to host the Tassie Tigers.

Sultana Bran Hockey One website

ROUND-UP: Investec Women's Hockey League

Georgie Twigg prepares to fire Surbiton's only goal. Credit Peter Smith

Surbiton were made to work hard for their 1-0 win over a battling Clifton Robinsons side in the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division on Saturday.

A second half goal from England and GB ace Georgie Twigg ultimately proved the difference and left Surbiton with a 100% record, but they stay second to Hampstead & Westminster on goal difference.

Jo Leigh and Mel Wilkinson scored two goals each in Hampstead & Westminster’s 5-1 victory at Bowdon Hightown.

The home side found themselves 3-0 down after 55 minutes thanks to Jasmine Clark’s goal for the London outfit.

A quick reply from Bowdon’s Rosie Bailey wasn’t enough as the visitors slotted another two past the home side to stay top of the table.

The University of Birmingham beat bottom side Beeston 2-0 thanks to goals from Lauren Hunt and Caroline Spence.

Elsewhere, Lucy Millington’s effort for visitors Loughborough Students salvaged a 1-1 draw against Holcombe after Joanne Westwood put the hosts in front.

Amy Costello put East Grinstead ahead against Buckingham but Abbie Brant levelled for the latter in the 1-1 stalemate.

Investec Women’s Division 1 North

Two goals from Georgina Brownhill helped the University of Durham go top of the early Investec Women’s Division 1 North table with a 3-0 win over Gloucester City.

Natalie Konerth also scored for Durham who are top on goal difference, with three other sides also being on four points and nobody with a 100% record.

Olton & West Warwicks had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Stourport, while Leeds were 1-0 winners at Leicester City with Rosie Foster scoring the only goal of the game on 56 minutes.

Elsewhere, Brooklands-Poynton beat Ben Rhydding 1-0, and Swansea overcame Belper by the same margin.

Investec Women’s Division 1 South

A 69th minute penalty strike helped Wimbledon keep their winning streak alive with a 3-2 victory over hosts Trojans in the Women’s Division 1 South.

Fiona Semple levelled the back-and-forth game at 2-2 in the 49th minute before slotting home the decisive penalty stroke for Wimbledon as they stay top of the league.

Emma Thomas and Jo Ellis both scored two goals in Reading’s 5-0 win over Cambridge City to stay level on points with leaders Wimbledon.

Elsewhere, Canterbury beat St Albans 4-0, Isca claimed their first points of the season after beating Sevenoaks 3-1 and Slough beat Harleston Magpies 2-1.

Investec Women’s Conference West

Surbiton’s second team remain the only team with a 100% record in the Investec Women’s Conference West after beating Clifton Robinsons’ second team 3-1.

Peggy Winterborn, Maud Blokland and Hannah Denison put the winners 3-0 up and despite a reply from Clifton, their fightback ended at 3-1.

Exe went second in the table as they held onto win 4-3 against a battling Cheltenham side.

Exe went 4-1 up through Ruby Jarman’s 48th minute strike alongside Emily Mitchem’s double and one from Lorel Wallis. Cheltenham pulled within one goal after two in two minutes but couldn’t find a leveller.

Investec Women’s Conference North

Sutton Coldfield maintained their impressive opening to the season with a 5-1 victory over Beeston’s second team to stay top of the Investec Women’s Conference North.

Emma McCabe found the net three times in the victory, while Vicky Woolford also scored two first half goals in the win.

Pendle Forest also won 5-1 to keep pace with the league leaders on maximum points.

Lisa Crewe and Charlotte Hartley scored twice each for Pendle Forest in the win over Yorkshire side Wakefield.

Investec Women’s Conference East

Bromley & Beckenham won their second consecutive game in the Investec Women’s Conference East with a slim 1-0 away win against Broxbourne.

Sophie Couldrey put the winners ahead after only three minutes and the game stayed that way to put Bromley & Beckenham top of the table on six points.

Barnes and Wimbledon seconds left if late with Barnes scoring a 69th minute goal to beat Ipswich 1-0, while Wimbledon’s 70th minute effort gave them a 2-1 win over Canterbury seconds.

England Hockey Board Media release

Sailors sink KU in hockey league


Kenyatta University's Nelly Ogutu (left) dribbles past Amira Sailors' Sheila Chebet during their Kenya Hockey Union Women Premier League match at City Park Stadium, Nairobi on October 5, 2019. Sailors won 2-0. PHOTO | CHRIS OMOLLO |  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Kenyatta University women’s team will have to wait longer for their first win of the season after going down to Amira Sailors 2-0 during in the Kenya Hockey Union Premier League at the City Park Stadium on Saturday.

The win saw Sailors move joint third with United States International University Africa (USIU-A) on 17 points from 11 matches although the students have a better goal difference and two matches at hand.

Cynthia Sitawa and Roselavine Awour scored in the 5th and 17th minutes respectively to give Sailors a deserved win.

KU will however continue their search for the elusive win on Sunday with a tie against fellow students and bottom-placed Jomo Kenyatta University Agricultural Technology at 3pm.


KU coach Richard Wandera conceded defeat but remained optimistic ahead of clash against JKUAT.

“Our performance in the first quarter was wanting but I’m glad we regrouped in the remaining quarters and although we didn’t score we were a better side it’s only that we didn’t use our chances,” Wandera said.

“I have a feeling on Sunday that elusive win will finally come home and we look forward to the match. We have always played well but it’s unfortunate we haven’t been able to win.”

His opposite number Thomas Mucheni said the title is Telkom's to lose and their focus is to finish second.

Mucheni said they are glad they took their chances in the first two quarters since the players didn’t turn up in the last quarters.

“KU were a better side in the second half but I’m happy we scored early in the game and we have the three points. Our strategy has always been to attack from the onset and the tactics paid off again today. The title is already gone and we are chasing the second position but we will have to take one game at a time,” said Mucheni.

Record holders Telkom and rivals Strathmore University occupy the first two positions on the standings with 26 and 18 points from 10 and 11 matches respectively although they are not in action this weekend.

Daily Nation

Kenyatta University’s Titans get hockey lessons from Amira Sailors

By Elizabeth Mburugu

Kenyatta University's Miriam Mwangi (left) and Bridie Naliaka of Amira Sailors Ladies during Kenya Hockey Union Premier League at City Park on Saturday, Oct 5, 2019. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Amira Sailors yesterday beat Kenyatta University (KU) Titans 2-0 in a Kenya Hockey Union women’s Premier League match at City Park.

The victory saw Amira leap to second place on the standings with 20 points six less than defending champions Telkom. Two first half goals from Cynthia Sitawa and Roselavine Awour condemned winless Titans to their ninth loss of the season.

Sailors coach Thomas Mucheni said the victory was in line with their season’s objectives. “We are targeting a top two finish and this win has just boosted our chances because we are now in second place.

“Our game plan was to score early goals and it worked because we settled in the game well because we were more confident than our opponents who were playing catch up,” Mucheni said.

He added that going forward, they will be looking to win a game at a time and maintain their second spot.

Titans coach Richard Wanders rued his sides missed chances saying that allowing Amira to take score quick goals was their major undoing.

“We conceded early in the match and it destabilised us. Our focus is now on our next match and we expect a win against Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology.

“We are determined to retain our place in the Premier League hence to give our all I’m our remaining matches.”

Amira were solid from the onset braking into Titans half in the first minute of play. Led by captain Leah Omwandho, they kept pushing for an opening goal but the the KU defence could not let them have their way.

Their efforts paid off in the fifth minute with Sitawa’s successful penalty corner conversion.

Titans would hunt for an equaliser with urgency, however, their attempts were met by a resilient Amira back line not ready to surrender their lead as they went into the first quarter break with a narrow 1-0 lead. 

The Standard Digital

Quick reaction leads to Stanford field hockey victory

Emma Alderton stole a pass and quickly scored the go-ahead goal in Stanford's win over Syracuse. Photo courtesy of Standford Athletics.

Quick thinking and a quick reaction led to Emma Alderton stealing a pass inside the circle and scoring the go-ahead goal in No. 16 Stanford’s 3-2 victory over No. 14 Syracuse in a nonconference field hockey match Saturday in Berkeley.

Trailing 2-1, Stanford (7-5) scored twice over the final four minutes, taking control of the game after halftime and securing its third win over a top-25 opponent.

With 54 seconds remaining, Alderton intercepted a Syracuse pass inside the circle and quickly fired home the game-winner for her second goal of the season.

Alderton's goal came three minutes after Frances Carstens had evened the match at 2-2, with Sarah Johnson contributing the assist.

Stanford, which outshot Syracuse 11-9, held an 8-4 advantage in the second half and continued to pressure for the equalizer.

Syracuse (8-3,) opened the scoring with a goal from Claire Cooke and moved in front 2-1 at the 34:52 mark thanks to a goal from Sarah Luby.

Corinne Zanolli finished with a game-high five shot attempts and provided the assist on Lynn Vanderstichele's goal, which knotted the match at 1-1.

The Cardinal, which is 3-4 against ranked opponents this season, snapped a two-match losing skid.

Stanford returns to action next weekend, beginning a three-game road trip with a neutral-site match against Ball State on Saturday.

Palo Alto Online

Fieldhockey.com uses cookies to assist with navigating between pages. Please leave the site if you disagree with this policy.
Copyright remains with the credited source or author